7.7

1. Apr 17, 2011
    If someone had asked me, "Quick, whats the game you remember most from your childhood?", the answer would always be "Descent". Nothing else really has the same allure as the 6 degrees of freedom the Descent franchise is known for.

Back in the day, the graphics were amazing and they still hold up pretty well today. It doesn't strike as ugly, even being over 12 years old now. The sound track still sounds as futuristic as it did back then. After playing first person shooters (ground pounders!) for such a long time, going back to play the game is every bit as challenging as opening the box for the first time. The AI runs circles around your weapons, gets right up in your face at the worst of times, and runs for cover at the best of times. The controls are heavily configurable, and work fantastic with a wireless Xbox 360 controller.

The story in the Descent series was never blockbuster level, and while you probably still won't care much in the 3rd installment, at least there's some cut scenes to keep you vaguely interested. The level design and objectives are much, much more varied, having open outdoor areas and not having to destroy a reactor in every level (quite the opposite at one point).

Descent 3 (Aswell as I & II) are part of gaming history. It sits you in the middle of a world where movement is completely unrestricted and doesn't ever let you go. It's a highly polished experience that holds up to the test of time!

Windows 7 best settings;

Patched to v1.4
    Video mode: OpenGL (DirectX has issues with modern video cards)
    Audio: Primary Sound Driver (OpenAL needs to be installed for 5.1)
    Control: Mouse+Keyboard, USB Joystick (Recommended), 360 GamePad (Recommended)

Extra settings in launcher (Misc tab);
    -width -height -aspect -z32bit
    -bumped

Also since the engine is now relatively basic, feel free to jam on the anti-aliasing. My GTX460 works fine with the game at 32x AA (Set from the GPU control panel)
  2. AlexW.
    Oct 26, 2006
    This game has no rival when it comes to PvP I only wish Decent 4 would come out. Free space sux.
  3. Gus
    Jan 12, 2004
    This game is okay. FORSAKEN is a better game, all around. Yes, Forsaken is a Decent clone. But they did a better job. Forsaken was never taken seriously because everyone was so bent on "waiting till decent 3 comes out". Well...Decent 3 was a let down in comparison (ESPECIALLY in the multiplayer arena). SO. If you want a trite, sluggish tunnel-shooter....Decent 3 is your game. If you want This game is okay. FORSAKEN is a better game, all around. Yes, Forsaken is a Decent clone. But they did a better job. Forsaken was never taken seriously because everyone was so bent on "waiting till decent 3 comes out". Well...Decent 3 was a let down in comparison (ESPECIALLY in the multiplayer arena). SO. If you want a trite, sluggish tunnel-shooter....Decent 3 is your game. If you want fast-paced action and great multiplayer (assuming you can find a server still running it) FORSAKEN RULES THE PLANET! (please god, let them make a Forsaken 2!) Expand
  4. Fighter17Descent3
    Jul 27, 2005
    The last Descent game in the Descent series. Good graphics, smart A.I, and kick@$$ online mode. Despite the game was good, for Interplay, it didn't made enough money for profit.
  5. Jun 14, 2011
    So, you are thinking of an old game to play again. I often find myself thinking... Descent. Now... one would ask Why Descent? Well, first off... it is a unique first person shooter with elements we shall not see again soon; at least until Interplay, revitalized, decides to make Descent 4. Why? I do not know. Only game I know with a similar system is Forsaken... which publications at theSo, you are thinking of an old game to play again. I often find myself thinking... Descent. Now... one would ask Why Descent? Well, first off... it is a unique first person shooter with elements we shall not see again soon; at least until Interplay, revitalized, decides to make Descent 4. Why? I do not know. Only game I know with a similar system is Forsaken... which publications at the time reamed I do remember. Now though, Descent is a fun, action paced shooter that's great for anyone who wants an adrenaline fueled adventure. Story Junkies should check out another interplay product mind you... Planescape Torment. This isn't the game for them though. I love it thoroughly though and it both holds appeal today almost as much as back then. More... some days. Expand

1. More of the same "get me outta this 'bot-infested labyrinth" madness that made the first two games so deservedly popular. But thanks to the latest tech, the 'bot-infested labyrinths of Descent 3 are more nightmarish and addictive than ever before. Don't even bother trying to resist it.
    A remarkable game: immersive, challenging, beautifully designed. Unlike a lot of the other eye-candy out there, it has both steak and sizzle. The level designs contain some of the most breathtaking sights ever seen in a computer game and they are filled with cunning enemies just waiting to sink their steel claws into your smoking carcass.
  3. One incredible achievement. It's definitely a must-buy for anyone remotely interested in the Descent series - and unquestionably a front-runner in anyone's Action Game of the Year list.