8.1

1. Jul 30, 2020
    I never got to play the older version because I didn't have much exposure to popular games when I was younger. I only played whatever I could get my hands on. So being able to play this classic with basically 1:1 remake of the original's content is a refreshing experience for me.

So I played this game on both Keyboard & Mouse as well as an XBOX One Controller, and I have to say that K&M is the best way to play this. The UFO controls are wonky on controllers. I like to play 3rd person games on a controller because they usually don't require much precision aiming, so that was a bit of a disappointment. There are also challenges in exploration mode that are hard to get a 3-star rating on if you're playing with a controller. That can get annoying very fast. I also wish they had custom save points for missions because if you fail an objective you have to restart the mission most of the time, and sometimes you will be loaded back to a checkpoint but that doesn't help as much as you'd expect. So those are my two issues with this game.

That being said, the game has so much charm! You can tell this was a passion project. I love the story, characters, humor, and the mindless cartoonish violence. I sincerely hope that THQ greenlights a remake for the sequel. I give this game an 8/10.

Note: Pay no heed to the inevitable "this game is offensive to my modern sensibilities" people. They will always find something to be offended by even if its decades old. I'm glad that the developers didn't change the game in a detrimental way.
  2. Jul 30, 2020
    what an excellent game. love every aspect of it. took me back to my childhood days playing the original one. never thought they will remake the game. i always fantasized about that. and it happened!
    im so happy!
  3. Jul 31, 2020
    Hilarious game, worth every single Penny. Having a blast playing it just so much fun.
  4. Jul 30, 2020
    Great Game With great gameplay and beautiful graphics and an excellent story.
  5. Jul 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, really takes you back to the older version Very fond memories with a good new look. Last boss kinda sucks though. Expand
  6. Jul 31, 2020
    After playing through this game, I am confident in giving this a 9 out of 10. It's incredibly refreshing and pleasing to see that they haven't altered the way the game plays heavily or the language used within the cutscenes and the general things which people say during gameplay. Black Forest Games have kept true to the roots of Destory All Humans has and it really shows in this reboot.After playing through this game, I am confident in giving this a 9 out of 10. It's incredibly refreshing and pleasing to see that they haven't altered the way the game plays heavily or the language used within the cutscenes and the general things which people say during gameplay. Black Forest Games have kept true to the roots of Destory All Humans has and it really shows in this reboot. The game was very fun to play with set missions to do, some collectables which reward you with extra DNA (used to upgrade your gear and saucer), as well as being able to go back to the maps you did missions on and explore the area in a small, open world environment. I sincerely hope they remake the second game just like they've done with the first. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2020
    El juego a nivel jugable es un poco aburrido, algo lineal y monotono, se salva por la nostalgia y un sentido del humor excelente.
  8. Jul 30, 2020
    Almost perfect remake of bellowed classic game. This is the way to do remakes!
  9. Jul 29, 2020
    Classic game, very well made. Graphics are great, and controls are decent for tthe PC I would love to see more!
  10. Jul 30, 2020
    It's funny, pretty and violent. You have a weapon called "Anal Probe" and can desintegrate humans like in "Mars Attacks!" .What else do you want?
  11. Jul 30, 2020
    An excellent satire, it's a humorous game and the story is far superior to the gameplay.
  12. Jul 30, 2020
    The game is an amazing classic remastered so well. If you were a fan of the 2005 version you will love this. The NPCs are a lot more detailed as well as the buildings and Krypto himself where you can actually see his brain pulsating on the side of his head. This is a game worth picking up. I loved it and I am almost sure you will too
  13. Jul 29, 2020
    I remember buying this game on release back in 2005 and really enjoying it! and honestly, I had a blast playing through it again! however, it would be stupid of me to ignore its faults..

first off the audio drove me crazy, I loved the fact the original voice actors reprised their roles as Richard Steven Horvitz and J. Grant Albrecht are pretty irreplaceable but the scratchiness of the overly compressed audio sounds pretty bad but it's not awful.

the second thing that was kind of annoying was the overly long loading times, I do feel they could have worked on that and improved it but it did kill the pacing a lot of the time and I'm surprised that wasn't one of the improvements they made.. like REALLY surprised.

I also think 25 pounds was a little steep for a 10 hour 15-year-old game with a new lick of paint.. that price range is getting into witcher 3 territory.. I really think for that price they should have remade 1 and 2 and sold it as a bundle, a bit like what they did for Spyro which also came out at the same price point. tbh the price is actually my biggest complaint I think value for money is important these days and I can see this game going in the sales at like 5.99 in the not so distant future (which I wish I would have waited for and then I would have given it an 8 or even an 9) I respect and understand they remade a lot of the cutscenes and might say that to justify the price but still.. it really all comes down to a new coat of paint.

However, in saying all this I still gave it a 7 (would of been a 7.5 if this site allowed it) which is a good score and I think a fair one! If like me you bought this game as a kid and loved it then you will love it all over again I must emphasise despite my criticisms I still loved and had a blast during my 12 hours of playing and don't regret getting it! it's a short funny blast from the past, it was a cult classic for a reason and even though I don't see myself replaying it for a few months it will naturally be a game I go back to and replay for the nostalgia.

If you haven't played destroy all humans before it's a funny game where you play as an alien causing mayhem and I don't need to say more than that because by that description you are rather totally convinced or know it isn't for you.

again, I loved it and if it hadn't of been for the long load times and scratchy voice audio and came in at a slightly lower price point I would of given it an 8.5 but for now it's a blast to play and a real love letter to the fans so for them I urge to buy. If you are new and are on the fence maybe wait for a sale.

i'm STILL in hope that the series will actually be rebooted/revived and get a brand new modern entry as I think ultimately that's what it needs and I would think it would do well :)

I don't like or enjoy writing critical reviews but I believe the score and what I've said is as fair as I can as a fan without being biassed and ignoring its flaws and price point. But I will say if you are a big fan like me then definitely get it ! :D
  14. Jul 29, 2020
    I'm gonna start this by saying I fundamentally believe there is no such thing as a perfect game or 10/10, but damn this comes close. So that's why I have rated it a 9/10.
    The rest of this will be my review from Steam.
    An amazing remaster, major nostalgia from my childhood. I got the Crypo-137 edition, and the statue is also amazing, not to mention the box it came in was pretty lit.
    The rest of this will be my review from Steam.

Anyway, back to the game. This is most definitely how you do a remaster, I hope the financial success of this game shows other studios how it should be done, and hopefully incentivize a remake of the 2nd game too.

Well done.
  15. Jul 30, 2020
    Destroy All Humans! is and always will be my favorite franchise, there’s just nothing else like it out there. The original was amazing back in the day, but it hasn’t applied face cream for a long time and is seriously starting to show its age. The animations and movement are stiff, combat is held back by restrictions like the contextual menu, the sandboxes have nothing to do, the sideDestroy All Humans! is and always will be my favorite franchise, there’s just nothing else like it out there. The original was amazing back in the day, but it hasn’t applied face cream for a long time and is seriously starting to show its age. The animations and movement are stiff, combat is held back by restrictions like the contextual menu, the sandboxes have nothing to do, the side challenges were an afterthought, and so on.

Black Forest Games didn’t just want to remake the game but our memories of playing the game. Did they succeed? In my opinion, yes, in fact, I believe they made the game better than I remember. It’s not perfect, there are still a few disappointments and annoyances, but great galaxies the remake not only managed to subvert my expectations but even exceed them! It surprised me in so many ways, and overall I had a blast with it. I can’t wait to replay it over and over just as I did with the original back in the day!

Fans of the series have no reason not to pick it up. It’s the game we love with a few changes to keep it fresh, a lot of fun new bells and whistles, and a gorgeous new coat of paint, for twenty dollars less than what the original game cost. If you’re a newcomer and you’re looking to try something unique and fresh, you love sci-fi, destructible sandbox environments and want a game where you can just load up your Spotify playlist and cruise around causing chaos or a fun weekend killer, give the game a look!

7.5/10 - Very Good/Recommended

Positives

A well-made faithful remake of a fun, solid cult classic
    Decent challenge for completionists
    Very enjoyable gameplay loop
    Absurdly fun psy powers with funny ragdoll physics
    Enjoyable boss fights
    Corny story and fun, campy dialogue
    Fantastic voice acting, from Richard Horvitz especially
    Gorgeous destructible environments
    Actual unlockable rewards, no microtransactions or loot boxes
    More replayability than the original
    Great ‘stress ball’ game

Negatives

Some disappointing missed opportunities
    Great moments, lines and easter eggs from original not present
    Challenges and missions can become repetitive
    Potential frame drops on older console versions
    Technical issues, bugs & crashes
    Occasional frustrating difficulty spikes, particularly in Capitol City

Personally I adore the remake, it would easily be an 8.5 without all the issues and disappointments, but I do absolutely love the game and I sincerely hope BFG gets the opportunity to remake DAH!2 as I’d really love to see what they can do with it. But I do also hope they get more time to work on it because it’s easy to tell this remake could have been even better than it is if they just had the time. I still weep internally for what could have been a 3D, explorable Mothership.

Here’s hoping THQ Nordic greenlights some patches and DLC, and that humanity isn’t totally wiped out before that can even happen! Fingers crossed for a remake of DAH!2 in 2022!
  16. Aug 4, 2020
    For arkvoodle´s sake, what have you done?
    Alas,I´m telling you what have they done with my beloved game: they´ve brought my forgotten childhood memories backto 2020. Althought nostalgias is priceless, a game can´t live and thrive just on it. So as a fan of destroy all humans for more than 15 years, I´ll tell you what are its biggest flaws and its greatests achievements.
    Achievements:
    For arkvoodle´s sake, what have you done?

Achievements:
    - Graphical improvements
    - better quality of life options (as checkpoints in missions )
    - better mechanics (like pk (Psychokinesiss) and wepaons)
    -new weapon upgrades
    -better sound effects

Flaws:
    - They should have implemented secondary misssion like in Destroy all humans 2, because a 2005 is kinda short. (I´ve finisshed all mission, all upgrades and all the challenges with 3 stars within 10 hours) and lacks re-playability.
    -Mods! where are the goddam Pc mods!, if you´ve brought this game to pc , you should at lesat give the community a devkit for mods, or open a steam workshop page. This is because, this point tackles the firt flaw, mods give a game hours and hours of replayability. Look for example the elder scrolls saga, its newest title is from 2011 and it is still one of the most played games on steam in part due to the mods.
    - No pk in holobob, personally I´ve always liked more the holobod than the body snacth inmm the other games (they should implement it in futher remasters), but c´mon I mean one of the most amusing aspects of the game was trolling the humans while in disguise. It´s part a important part of the genre and I hope they brouhght it back.
    - No multiplayer, and I don´t mean a massive pvp, but just, at least, a local multiplayer like the one that was integrated in destroy all humans 2 and was watered down in DAH the path of the furon

Final thoughts:
    It´s a great game and a must buy if youa fan of the saga. I´m hoping they fix those little details that make the game great. I cant wait for the remake of destroy all humasn 2.

"Another "gather-the-berries" quest. You want me to slay a dragon while I'm at it?"
  17. Aug 3, 2020
    I liked this game because the theme is so fun. I lile this game so much. And the remake was very good.
  18. Aug 19, 2020
    This is a fun game that I believe all should play. It has a very basic format and is overall pretty simplistic, but that is part of the charm. It does not fail to follow its original predecessor's path and that isn't a flaw in the least. The graphics have been very much so overhauled compared to the original and it is made a point of with the artwork comparison you see as unlock-ableThis is a fun game that I believe all should play. It has a very basic format and is overall pretty simplistic, but that is part of the charm. It does not fail to follow its original predecessor's path and that isn't a flaw in the least. The graphics have been very much so overhauled compared to the original and it is made a point of with the artwork comparison you see as unlock-able content. The audio is quite old fashion sounding but that is purposeful. Overall if you are looking for a parody like game where you can use many alien tropes as a part of your arsenal then look no further than this beautifully small marvel. Expand
  19. Aug 31, 2020
    Back in 2005 a game called Destroy All Humans arrived. The game kicked off a series of games centered around a nostalgic 50s Alien Invasion movie theme.

Playing as Crypto; an alien who sounds like Jack Nicholson; players go around the Earth bringing mayhem wherever they go. In 2020 the original game has been remastered and I first saw some of the game at E3 2019 and loved my hands-on

In 2020 the original game has been remastered and I first saw some of the game at E3 2019 and loved my hands-on time with the game.

With enhanced graphics the game takes on a new life as players are immersed in a nostalgic 50s setting which captures the best elements of pulp science fiction and Alien Invasion films.

Crypto has all sorts of abilities at his disposal such as being able to mimic humans thanks to his Holobob as well as enable humans to protect and follow him. He can also read their minds and if needed harvest their brains for much needed D.N.A.

With a title like “Destroy” in the title Crypto has a range of weapons at his ability which can fry, burn, and blast the countless enemies he will encounter. Since the game has a Cold War setting the Military, Government agents, and civilians are often fast to talk about “Commies” and espouse All American Values. The game also has some very adult humor that is delivered in a subtle way ranging from thoughts that Crypto reads to parked cars not so subtly bouncing in the local Lovers Lane.

Missions are a mixture of stealth and action as Crypto often has to find something, destroy something, escort something, complete tasks, and survive waves of enemies which naturally get harder as the game unfold s.

The sounds in the game are fun and the arsenal of weapons that Crypoto and his ship are able to deploy offers lots of variety as does his special abilities which give players options for how they play a mission.

I really enjoyed the game as the mix of humor and action was a winning formula but I did bog down on the final mission. I found my ship was not up to the task and using a Jet Pack to fly around was not going to cut it.

I was able to return to the Mothership to do side missions to harvest D.N.A. or do challenges which in turn allowed me to upgrade the weapons and abilities of my ship which made the final battle easier for me to complete.

Being able to upgrade weapons and abilities is a big part of the game as being able to grasp and throw and object at enemies is great fun as is making a brain “pop” from someone who has annoyed you.

I really enjoyed the upgraded version of the game and hope this leads to either a new game in the series or remasters of the prior games as it would be fantastic to see this series continue.

4 stars out of 5
  20. Aug 2, 2020
    Divertido, mucha jugabilidad y mucho ¨comunismo¨XD. Buen juego para destruir humanos y vacas con un toce de humor, se ve muy bien graficamente, buen remake.
  21. Sep 19, 2020
    This game is very funny but after half of the game you will be bored. The gameplay is easy.
  22. Oct 16, 2020
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful ☐ Good X Decent ☐ Bad ☐ Don‘t look too long at it ☐ MS-DOS ---{Gameplay}--- ☐ Very good ☐ Good X It‘s just gameplay ☐ Mehh ☐ Watch paint dry instead ☐ Just don't ---{Audio}--- ☐ Eargasm ☐ Very good X Good ☐ Not too bad ☐ Bad ☐ I'm now deaf ---{Audience}--- ☐ Kids ☐ Teens ☐ Adults X All ---{PC
    ---{Graphics}---
    ☐ You forget what reality is
    ☐ Beautiful
    ☐ Good
    X Decent
    ☐ Bad
    ☐ Don‘t look too long at it
    ☐ MS-DOS

☐ Teens
    ☐ Adults
    X All

---{PC Requirements}---
    ☐ Check if you can run paint
    ☐ Potato

☐ Dark Souls

---{Story}---
    ☐ No Story
    X Some lore
    ☐ Average ☐ Good ☐ Lovely ☐ It‘ll replace your life ---{Game Time}--- ☐ Long enough for a cup of coffee ☐ Short X Average ☐ Long ☐ To infinity and beyond ---{Price}--- ☐ It’s free! ☐ Worth the price X If u have some spare money left ☐ Not recommended ☐ You could also just burn your money ---{Bugs}--- X Never heard of ☐ Minor bugs ☐ Can get annoying ☐ ARK: Survival Evolved ☐ The game itself is a big terrarium for bugs
  23. Aug 9, 2020
    a great game made back when a lot of games were still pretty good. yet they improved it even more in nearly every way, not even counting graphics.
  24. Jul 31, 2020
    The mowt memoreble and nostalgical game I've ever played and the graphics and gameplay is so good ...
  25. Jul 31, 2020
    You can definitly feel that it´s a remake from a game released in 2005, but the updated mechanics and the dark and cheesy humor still make it worth playing!
  26. Aug 1, 2020
    As a guy who grew up playing the original on PS2, can safely say that BGF did a great overall job bringing this classic to the modern era. My only gripe is that you can't use PK abilities without blowing your cover while using holobob. Other than that, its fantastic.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Oct 15, 2020
    Destroy All Humans! was rebuilt from scratch, but when it comes to the gameplay experience, it is identical to the 15-year-old original game. As a result, the story campaign feels outdated and gets stale after some time even despite the large arsenal of skills and weapons. It still is a fun game though and thanks to new visuals exploring the remade maps is a pleasure. [10/2020, p.52]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 7, 2020
    Overall mediocre game is saved by tons of humour and open-world like missions. Destroy All Humans! works perfectly as a nostalgic reminder while it proves that videogames have made a huge leaps and old school mechanics are just boring. [Issue#305]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Sep 3, 2020
    Despite less-from-stellar controls, missions that actually ask player to destroy all humans are fun; too bad that they are heavily interspersed with absolutely uninspired stealth segments. [Issue#247, p.71]