8.2

Buy Now
Buy on

1. LeahR
    Dec 26, 2009
    A gorgeous, polished, lovingly-crafted game that is hamstrung by insanely twitchy controls and awkward, floaty, slippery vehicle physics. After spending a great deal of time trying to tweak the numerous steering sensitivity settings, as well as car tuning options, I was unable to find a comfortable setting for either keyboard or gamepad play. It's a shame, because reportedly the game A gorgeous, polished, lovingly-crafted game that is hamstrung by insanely twitchy controls and awkward, floaty, slippery vehicle physics. After spending a great deal of time trying to tweak the numerous steering sensitivity settings, as well as car tuning options, I was unable to find a comfortable setting for either keyboard or gamepad play. It's a shame, because reportedly the game is great fun with a USB steering wheel...I just found it to take far too much work to make it feel like I had any control over my vehicle. Fighting the controls = not as fun as fighting opponents. The car handling and physics are in a weird limbo realm where they're not quite arcadey, yet not realistic, either--the slightest turn of the wheel can cause you to slide out even with all sensitivity lowered, yet you can often freely careen off other cars and walls. I really wanted to enjoy Dirt 2, as its graphics, presentation, game modes, and various details show meticulous polish by developer Codemasters...but the controls are even twitchier and floatier than previous Codemasters racing titles. What am I missing? Are these games really only meant to be played with wheels? Expand
  2. JackBauer
    Jan 9, 2010
    Unless you are willing to fork out for a steering wheel. playing this game using only a keyboard sucks. You really have no control over your vehicle as it is impossible to get your car to go straight once you make your first turn. The game is beautiful, but play is frustrating. If you alreadyhave or are willing to invest in a wheel, then maybe this game is still for you.
  3. Jan 28, 2011
    Graphics are very very good. Physics are also very very good. I enjoy the feature where you can pick your nickname. But the drivers talk like little kids... It really makes me not want to play. The controls are bad for a keyboard, so make sure you have a controller. Also, I feel like this game was not made for the PC at all. The menu system is a pain in the butt. Like I said, if youGraphics are very very good. Physics are also very very good. I enjoy the feature where you can pick your nickname. But the drivers talk like little kids... It really makes me not want to play. The controls are bad for a keyboard, so make sure you have a controller. Also, I feel like this game was not made for the PC at all. The menu system is a pain in the butt. Like I said, if you decide you want this game, get a controller, otherwise your in for a rude awakening. Someone else said its little kid based, 8-14 years old. I would have to agree. Wasn't worth the money. Get blur. Expand
  4. MarkusG
    Dec 18, 2009
    Well, this game has been made for maybe 8 to 14 year olds. Superstar feeling and retarded americans talking about "cool", "dude" etc.. i feel like retard behind the wheel. Infact i had to tone down the volume to not get embarrased. Dumbing down games for retarded american teens is a real problem in game industry imho. About the technical side of Dirt 2, it's very polished game and Well, this game has been made for maybe 8 to 14 year olds. Superstar feeling and retarded americans talking about "cool", "dude" etc.. i feel like retard behind the wheel. Infact i had to tone down the volume to not get embarrased. Dumbing down games for retarded american teens is a real problem in game industry imho. About the technical side of Dirt 2, it's very polished game and runs very well. Good graphics and all.. I give 9 to the technical side, to soul i give 1.. so totaling 4.5 Expand
  5. Urh
    Dec 28, 2010
    The driving mechanics of this game are top-notch, but this is to be expected from Codemasters. However the game is found seriously wanting in key areas. It contains fewer cars and fewer courses/tracks than the first DiRT, and I found myself getting bored pretty darn quickly (so much so I can't even bring myself to see the career mode through to 100% completion). Also absent is the repairThe driving mechanics of this game are top-notch, but this is to be expected from Codemasters. However the game is found seriously wanting in key areas. It contains fewer cars and fewer courses/tracks than the first DiRT, and I found myself getting bored pretty darn quickly (so much so I can't even bring myself to see the career mode through to 100% completion). Also absent is the repair screen from multi-stage rallies - now your vehicle will be completely repaired and shiny new at the beginning of each stage, completely eliminating the challenge of having to nurse your car through rallies. One cannot help but get the impression that this was deliberately done to dumb the game down in order to broaden its appeal.

And now we move on to the metaphorical elephant in the room. I am, of course, talking of the 'extreme sports' motif DiRT 2 has been given. Quite frankly I find it vulgar and I loathe it with a passion, and I wager that I am not the only one. Once again this is a move that appears to have been made in an attempt to capture a new audience, yet I suspect that in seeking out this new audience Codemasters may have inadvertently alienated their established fan base (including myself). This game was touted as a tribute to the late Colin McRae, personally I find it an insult.
  6. Shamrock
    Dec 20, 2009
    It is impossible to save my profile and results without Games for Windows LIVE ID! But I can't get such ID in my country! I can buy game, but I can't save... Very strange
  7. Mar 6, 2011
    One simple game option was omitted in this game. Proper volume management. This stupid idiotic game does not allow you to completely mute the sound of the game. For someone like me who's running ventrilo and watching streaming videos on my other monitor while I play it's a definite turn-off.
  8. Jan 18, 2019
    The game is awesome made. tho the only weakness is that you can' chose what game mode you wish to play at . like am a rally fan and i don't really care about other modes and the game forces the player to play the other modes to progress to new rally maps.

By the way don't play this game on a mac, its buggy ass hell. and one more thing don't play with keyboard on any platform, that is disaster.
  9. May 15, 2021
    This is plagiarism of Race Driver Grid. This not is rally arcade. Don't download this game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. DiRT 2 is a worthy successor to the original, getting practically everything right. While I would have liked to have seen a greater emphasis on more technical rally racing, I had a blast with every aspect of the title. From the solid visuals to the sweet tracks, DiRT 2's got a lot to love.
  2. Play Magazine
    GT what? DiRT 2 is the real deal, capturing the thrill of rally racing in one hell of a slick package. Play it for the mud sliding physics alone.
  3. Colin McRae: DiRT 2 is a pretty good mixture between a complex simulation and an action-based racer thanks to its compelling presentation.