• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 23, 2009
8.5

1. Jul 27, 2013
    The Dark Eye system takes some getting used to, and there's minor annoyances and sub-par voice acting, as well as a rushed ending, but overall this is a great classic RPG reminiscent of games from the peak of the genre in the '90s.
  2. SampaG
    Mar 10, 2009
    Could become a classic since true oldschool-RPG fans had to wait for quite a long time to get something similar to Icewind Dale, without watering the gameplay down for the masses. The game has no real flaws, a nice and very fantasy-like presentation, a well-done (but not perfect) interface, a large variety of well written quests and a beautiful level design. I missed some more NPC Could become a classic since true oldschool-RPG fans had to wait for quite a long time to get something similar to Icewind Dale, without watering the gameplay down for the masses. The game has no real flaws, a nice and very fantasy-like presentation, a well-done (but not perfect) interface, a large variety of well written quests and a beautiful level design. I missed some more NPC interaction within the party, but the quests and levels easily compensate that. I would give it 8.5 out of 10, since it still could use some more refinement, but the game runs smooth and stable. Furthermore I like the more strategic and tactical, party-based gameplay and the classic fantasy setting. So if you're a fan of oldschool party RPGs (BG, Torment, IWD) it's surely worth a look. Expand
  3. May 16, 2012
    Highly underrated. This game has an epic scale in terms of lore, story, world, character, etc. Superb graphics and vibrant environments, gripping story. It has all that is need in order to go head to head with the best RPGs the world has to offer right now, and rightly so because medieval fantasy RPG seem to be on the decline right now. The economy, shops, crafting, stats, and skills areHighly underrated. This game has an epic scale in terms of lore, story, world, character, etc. Superb graphics and vibrant environments, gripping story. It has all that is need in order to go head to head with the best RPGs the world has to offer right now, and rightly so because medieval fantasy RPG seem to be on the decline right now. The economy, shops, crafting, stats, and skills are broad and complex. Myriads of side-quests. In essence, very high game value. The battle system might be a bit too slow and non-tactical for today's standards is the only complain I have. Expand
  4. Feb 17, 2012
    How in the heck i missed this game has me baffled..
    I am a RPG primary player and NWN, DS, Witcher etc are in my gaming history and imo this game is if not every bit as good its better. The graphics are excellent.. the world is full and busy and lush with wonderful environments and the story and characetr layout is excellent.
    You don't apply hair color.. and nasal width but you have
    How in the heck i missed this game has me baffled..
    You don't apply hair color.. and nasal width but you have ALOT to choose from as far as heros and they end up under armor anyways.. the NPC's are great the party characters are just freakin awesome.
    If you enjoy this genre you'll kick yourself in the a** for not playing this. both are packaged on Impulse right now for 30 bucks and i'd pay 50 now that i know how good it is. One of the best RPG's i have ever played.. and i have a 25 year span from way back in the day the entire Baldurs gate series.. i started on MUDS before graphics came along.. TY FOR DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB ON THIS!! some of this pride could certainly be used with all the patch monsters and messy release 60 dollar craptastic games i baught this year.
  5. Mar 10, 2011
    Drakensang is a very good RPG games like the BG spirit.
    It's classic old school but it's good very good.
    Variety of class and specialization. The games need low requirements and it's very beautiful.
  6. May 3, 2011
    Drakensang takes a little time to get used to but is a solid, well-made RPG in an age where "real" RPGs are becoming more and more sparse. Some of the voice-acting is not the best in the world, but overall it doesn't take away from the game. Combat is a lot of fun, as it takes the same form as Dungeon Siege/Dragon Age/etc, having its own unique skills and spells but generally having theDrakensang takes a little time to get used to but is a solid, well-made RPG in an age where "real" RPGs are becoming more and more sparse. Some of the voice-acting is not the best in the world, but overall it doesn't take away from the game. Combat is a lot of fun, as it takes the same form as Dungeon Siege/Dragon Age/etc, having its own unique skills and spells but generally having the same kind of gameplay. Hopefully these guys can do some more work before EA or another big gaming conglomerate gets their claws into them. Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2013
    n my opinion Drakensang the Dark Eye is a good RPG that could have been great. There are certainly some great aspects to it. In particular, the skill development system is one of the best I've seen. Not only is there a large set of varied skills to develop, but not so many that I found it overwhelming, the game also takes a somewhat unique approach by letting you spend experience points ton my opinion Drakensang the Dark Eye is a good RPG that could have been great. There are certainly some great aspects to it. In particular, the skill development system is one of the best I've seen. Not only is there a large set of varied skills to develop, but not so many that I found it overwhelming, the game also takes a somewhat unique approach by letting you spend experience points to raise skills at any time and not only when reaching a new level. Instead your level limits how high you can raise skills. I thought this was a very good approach to skill development. There are also several other nice touches to the game, like for example how you early on get your own house where you can store items, easily travel anywhere on the map and you can install workbenches to use for crafting. The game has a good crafting system and there are some items that can only be obtained by crafting them. Other nice touches include the ability to use perfume to temporarily raise your charisma and some unexpected humorous moments the details of which I won't reveal.

Unfortunately there are also some negative aspects to the game that keeps it from being the great game that it could have been. In particular, there is too much dull filler combat. While there are a few interesting and challenging battles in the game it mostly keeps throwing the same enemies at you in gradually increasing amounts. A bit more variation would have been appreciated and it only rarely felt like battles had been designed to require a bit of strategical thinking. I also found it unecessary that locations where locked after finishing everything related to the main quest there making it impossible to return to them. This just made the game feel somewhat more linear without adding anything (but perhaps it was required for technical reasons?).

The combat system is similar to that in the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale series. Combat takes place in real time but with the option to pause at any time to issue new commands to your characters. There is also an autopause option that essentially makes combat turn-based. This works fairly well in general, but I found that the autopause option sometimes made combat feel slower than in most other turn-based RPGs.

The story is a rather standard unoriginal fantasy RPG story, although it does have a few fairly interesting twists along the way. The intro and ending felt totally unoriginal, though. I did not find this to be a major problem, however, since I don't play this kind of game for the story anyway.

In conclusion this could have been a great game if the combats had been more varied and better designed. As it stands, I found it to deserve a (somewhat weak) eight.
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    Despite the weak story, this is a good old school party based RPG, much like Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights seires but of course in very good 3D graphics. Although nothing really stands out as different than those games in the same type, it's still fun to play. The game does have some flaws. First thing you will notice is the bad camera, though it's not clunky enough to ruin things butDespite the weak story, this is a good old school party based RPG, much like Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights seires but of course in very good 3D graphics. Although nothing really stands out as different than those games in the same type, it's still fun to play. The game does have some flaws. First thing you will notice is the bad camera, though it's not clunky enough to ruin things but just feels very uncomfortable. The other thing that not very good is the linear gameplay and dialogue. There are nearly no story branching in this game and combat gets repetitive the more you play. At last the game's journal system is poorly written and it does not offer enough information for quests, so most time you have to run around to find the destination. Generally Drakensang is a game for die-hard RPG fans, but I do not recommend this to people just play RPG for stories. Expand
  9. Nov 18, 2014
    While the combat and pace may not suit the more impatient gamer, possibly suffering from ADD, this RPG will be welcomed by the true connoisseur of the genre.

I cannot express the joy I felt when I spied the inventory which was almost directly taken from another old-school RPG gem called Siege of Avalon. And while Siege had a more elaborate inventory and item combinations Drakensang stands on almost equal footing. The overall design and combat are as classic as it gets and I'd not change it for anything in the world, even if it meant the game suffering from low sales on account of those very things turning the less-than experienced RPG gamers away. For a game made in 2008 on a minuscule budget it looks quite fetching.

The story is nothing special,so I had to deduct a couple of points for it, but it serves the game well I'd say. Some alterations could have made it even better but, well, hindsight 20/20.

All in all, the game comes highly recommended from me. It is a considerable time sink and completely satisfying until the very end.
  10. JesuM
    Feb 26, 2009
    The story takes place in a very rich environment, visually beautiful, and the game plays very well. There are some difficulties in comprehending the rpg mechanics for anyone, like myself, who didn't play Das Schwarze Auge, but nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of effort. The best CRPG since The Witcher, and equally interesting and entertaining from my modest point of view.
  11. ChristianG
    Mar 9, 2009
    In my opinion a really good single RPG but not without its faults. I loved the presentation and the details. It was fun to sometimes just walk arround and really look at the scenary. The Dialogs were fun - but only partially voiced. I almost never felt the urge to just click me throught. Sometimes I even followed people arround or stood next to them to read their Dialogue with each other. In my opinion a really good single RPG but not without its faults. I loved the presentation and the details. It was fun to sometimes just walk arround and really look at the scenary. The Dialogs were fun - but only partially voiced. I almost never felt the urge to just click me throught. Sometimes I even followed people arround or stood next to them to read their Dialogue with each other. I loved how most Qests were told. An the other side the its sad that the avaiable companions have so little active Dialog (nor Romance or such) the world doesn't make a difference if you play an Elf or a warrior - thus some Dialogues don't seem to fit your choosen character - they seem to have been written with a warrior class charakter or similar in mind. There are a lot cliques in the game - some entertaining - some not so. The underlying rules may be a bit confusing for those not familiar with the TDE system - and for those that are it is clear that SOOO many features and possibilities have not been included. Especially the fighting and magic has little to offer in the beginning - but it gets better. But if you know the P&P rules the possibilities in the game are not even a joke compared to what's in the books. Nevertheless if you like Baldurs's Gate or Neverwinter Nights (II) you will probably like this one. If I had to rate this game aggainst the ones mentioned above I would say it is better than Baldurs Gate I on par with the singleplayer campaign of NWN II but quite a bit away from NWN II - Mask of the Betrayer or even one of my favorites good Baldurs Gate II. So: 8/10 points. Expand
  12. Lauranda
    Apr 18, 2009
    My only problem, which is worth a dock of 2 points, is the combat. The camera is a little herky jerky and it is often times hard to target an enemy with yer other party members in the way, even when changing angles. Also don't like how summoned minions will attack anything on sight...you should at least have that much control on them. Other than that, I love the visuals and sound and My only problem, which is worth a dock of 2 points, is the combat. The camera is a little herky jerky and it is often times hard to target an enemy with yer other party members in the way, even when changing angles. Also don't like how summoned minions will attack anything on sight...you should at least have that much control on them. Other than that, I love the visuals and sound and the fact that we finally have a new party RPG to play. I would however like to see a game soon where you make a whole party, like RPGs of old (Bard's Tale, etc). Expand
  13. shrafkos
    Feb 27, 2009
    Finally an old-school cRPG, for all of us who grew up with Torment & BG, with complex character development, party-questing (I always hated "one man army"approach such as the one in Oblivion or Gothic), and plenty of options to fine-tune your band of adventurers. Another plus is its great optimization and scalability - you don't need 1,500+ EUR computer to enjoy this great game. The Finally an old-school cRPG, for all of us who grew up with Torment & BG, with complex character development, party-questing (I always hated "one man army"approach such as the one in Oblivion or Gothic), and plenty of options to fine-tune your band of adventurers. Another plus is its great optimization and scalability - you don't need 1,500+ EUR computer to enjoy this great game. The only reason why I'm giving it a 9 instead of 10 is a lack of hard, far reaching choices (such as the ones in the Witcher, for instance). Sure, rules might be somewhat different than in Forgotten Realms (DnD), but learning something new (for instance: what's the meaning of "dwarfnosed" skill ;) is a lot of fun here. This is not an AAA title, but made by the people who obviously love RPGs and refuse to dumb them down for the masses (respect!). All of those who loved playing such ground-breaking titles such as BG or Icewind Dale will enjoy themselves with Drakensang. Expand
  14. NickH
    Apr 12, 2009
    I have read a lot of reviews for this game and I disagree with criticisms that are made of the game. It is true that it starts out slow and gets better once you reach the town that starts the game. In an industry that leaves us starved for really good and deep RPG's this one is a home run that is enjoyable to play. The controls are one of the games strengths and with all it's I have read a lot of reviews for this game and I disagree with criticisms that are made of the game. It is true that it starts out slow and gets better once you reach the town that starts the game. In an industry that leaves us starved for really good and deep RPG's this one is a home run that is enjoyable to play. The controls are one of the games strengths and with all it's quirks I found it a lot better and more intuitive than NWN2. It reminds me of the Guild Wars MMO control scheme. This one will keep me busy until the next big RPG Blockbuster drops. Expand
  15. Mar 1, 2014
    It's classical style RPG, with much more freedom in all things you do, also it's quite hard and important to be concentrated on all things you do, for me the best RPG of this type of games, also can say if you like ME or DA style games you will not like it more, than will like it, but if you love real RPGs - hard, full, flexible, free gameplay, with rich storyline and without idioticIt's classical style RPG, with much more freedom in all things you do, also it's quite hard and important to be concentrated on all things you do, for me the best RPG of this type of games, also can say if you like ME or DA style games you will not like it more, than will like it, but if you love real RPGs - hard, full, flexible, free gameplay, with rich storyline and without idiotic quests, I mean games like Sacred, Neverwinter nights atc... this game is for you. Expand
  16. Sep 20, 2014
    An old school rpg with a lot of charm. The game world fells alive. In many games there is no reason to revisit locations, here you get new quests, loot and npcs to interact with when you make progress in the main storyline. The story is interesting and told well but it is nothing new. The characters are fine but there is not much character development outside of individual side quests.An old school rpg with a lot of charm. The game world fells alive. In many games there is no reason to revisit locations, here you get new quests, loot and npcs to interact with when you make progress in the main storyline. The story is interesting and told well but it is nothing new. The characters are fine but there is not much character development outside of individual side quests. Please note that this is not a Dungeons and Dragons game. It is a different role playing game system called "The Dark Eye". So you must adapt to different rules Expand
  17. MarcusT
    Mar 17, 2009
    A truly enjoyable experience. The depth of challege has kept me on my knees, especially the boss fights. I have always preferred micromanagement of each and every of the party members, so the constant pausing was never a problem. I would have to agree that the music could have been better.
  18. Nov 27, 2014
    Along with Dragon Age Origins, these are the only 2 "real modern RPG" in the line of Baldur's Gate, in which the result of a fight is through the character's stats calculations, not by the player's actions in dodging, blocking or jumping like the rest of multiplatform RPGs more oriented to pad action. The game is well done achieving a believable fantasy environment of elves, dwarfs andAlong with Dragon Age Origins, these are the only 2 "real modern RPG" in the line of Baldur's Gate, in which the result of a fight is through the character's stats calculations, not by the player's actions in dodging, blocking or jumping like the rest of multiplatform RPGs more oriented to pad action. The game is well done achieving a believable fantasy environment of elves, dwarfs and amazons, only few whims in some repetitive combats but nothing serious and its successor River of Time is even better, having heard all player's suggestions if this awesome RPG would support mods natively it would be a solid 10 to me. Expand
  19. Dec 2, 2013
    Solid classic RPG following the line of Baldur's Gate though it's based on a different game. Dungeons and areas exploration at maximum. Nice spell and combat system (but kind of difficult to comprehend at the beginning). Music and graphics very good. Only fault I want to note is the limit of 4 character group.
  20. DakkarD
    Jun 16, 2009
    Nice game, classic RPG. Reminds me Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter. Very low requirements, can be played without dvd and it's buggy free (I haven't found a bug yet). Nice Italian translation. Suggested!
    Apr 15, 2009
    This game is incredibly underrated, and I'm constantly flabbergasted at the disparity between critics and actual gamers every site I look at. Perhaps critics have become so jaded they will happily ding any game without a large marketing budget, and knock it hard for things like sub-par voice acting and actually having to read text. By and large though, RPG fans only care about This game is incredibly underrated, and I'm constantly flabbergasted at the disparity between critics and actual gamers every site I look at. Perhaps critics have become so jaded they will happily ding any game without a large marketing budget, and knock it hard for things like sub-par voice acting and actually having to read text. By and large though, RPG fans only care about gameplay and atmosphere, and this game has it in spades. This is the funnest Baldur's-Gate style game since.... well, Baldur's Gate really. It's long overdue and I hope more people pick it up and give it a try. It's a gem of a game and it's sad that nothing like this is ever produced in the USA anymore. Expand
  22. Oct 28, 2010
    One of the crowning achievements of RPG games. The production value was tagged around two million euros. The developers over at Radon labs hit their stride and kept on going. They nailed the details, and the essence of tactical rpg games. The game is based off the Dark eye p&p game, very well titles have been released over the years, off such a well polished system. The combat rolls systemOne of the crowning achievements of RPG games. The production value was tagged around two million euros. The developers over at Radon labs hit their stride and kept on going. They nailed the details, and the essence of tactical rpg games. The game is based off the Dark eye p&p game, very well titles have been released over the years, off such a well polished system. The combat rolls system rolls can take a while to grasp, for those unfamiliar with this niche of rpg's. The mathematics for the combat system are not on any physics level so, don't sweat it. The game resolves around the old pause, setup party and engage. The fights are quite challenging, the mobs will fight as if they are another player. The AI was well done in combat situations. The scripts are well written, the dialogues have options. The game lacks full range voice acting, this was obviously due to their budget. The character customization is lacking, especially on looks and cosmetics. The atmosphere and immersion is first class. I've nothing really negative to say about this game, pick it up if you're into tactical RPG's. There is possibly over 80 hours of gameplay, maybe more. Look forwards to Drakensang: River of time to be released in the 'near' future. Thanks for reading. Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2011
    A good, solid game spoiled by an endless stream of combat. Play Drakensang: River of Time first as it's both the prequel and a more polished game. If you like spending 40 minutes fighting mobs for 2/3 EXP each while you get from the bridge into town, a run that takes you two minutes after the mobs are cleared, then this game is for you. If you like filling your bags with an endless streamA good, solid game spoiled by an endless stream of combat. Play Drakensang: River of Time first as it's both the prequel and a more polished game. If you like spending 40 minutes fighting mobs for 2/3 EXP each while you get from the bridge into town, a run that takes you two minutes after the mobs are cleared, then this game is for you. If you like filling your bags with an endless stream of daggers because all the same type of mobs drop the exact same type of loot, this game is for you. On the other hand, while the voice acting is uneven there are times where it hits the right notes, with even some humor thrown in. The story is acceptable: dwarfs, human, elves with 'Amazons' thrown in for spice. Honestly, this isn't a bad game but River of Time shows an attention to creating a quality experience that this game lacks . If you like River of Time and want more of what Drakensang has to offer, then buy this game. Expand
  24. OscarB
    Mar 16, 2009
    Well, what to say that has not been told yet... I enjoyed the game relly much, I'm a fan of all type rpg. I think the game is in the level of all BG games and NwN, and somehowfelt kind of new, the story is well thred and enjoyable. The only problem is the load times, there is a lot of them and you have to wait for a long time.
  25. Mar 19, 2011
    A very solid game all round, lacks the class and depth of say dragon age origins but if you are an rpg fan then you can do a lot worse than this.

First thing that grabbed my attention about this game is how leveling up and XP works, unlike most games where you gain a level you get a heep of points and or new abilities to spend all at once this game gives and allows you to spend XP points everytime you gain some, you can save them up and spend them in your primary stats (strength/intelligence/agility etc) or you can make yourself a little better at one of the many other talents such as spellcasting, weapons or crafting (alchemy/blacksmith/boyer). There is a huge number of things to spend your points on and it can be a little head scratching as to where the best place to put them but on the flip side it does allow you to mold your characters in many different ways.

It lacks a little on the depth side the characters may voice there approval/disapproval over certain actions you do but there is no consequence or reward for ignoring or listening to them and this could really have gave the game another dimension. and made you think a little more on the choices you make.

As i said before if your an RPG fan there is lots to love here but if your thinking of dipping yout toes in the RPG world for the first time there are a lot simpler and more rewarding games to try out first.
  26. Mar 20, 2011
    Agonizingly slow gameplay at times, boring loot tables and perhaps a bit too much freedom spoil the game for me. It's a classic RPG - way different from the current crup of ActionRPGs out there. It has all the stats tweaks, the dice throws and all the other goodies made the old school RPGs fun, but still manages to be accessible for newbies to the classic RPG genre.
  27. AdamG
    May 19, 2009
    I was a bit taken in by other user ratings, but am very unimpressed. The character creation is too dumbed down, there is a lot of time consuming walking about but worst of all the camera makes the game almost unplayable in parts. On the plus side, the graphics are nice and it's not a system hog.
  28. JohnDoe
    Apr 23, 2009
    Despite some minor problems with translation and the lack of documentation, the combat mechanics provide interesting tactical gameplay and the single player campaign is reminiscent in quality to classics like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment.
  29. Jul 26, 2013
    What a shame. This game had potential, but there are some huge problems that made this game unplayable for me.

The controls are exceedingly bad, annoying while exploring and painfully wrong during combat. This literally killed the game for me, hence the low score. There are other problems tough. This game fails at properly introducing the player into its mechanics, and it fails at creating an interesting story and characters. Too many cliches, much too generic. I do not recommend it.
  30. Dec 24, 2015
    Drakensang is a good comeback of the Realms of Arkania's game system. Although it might use the same system, the game mechanics are different. It is no longer a turn-based game. There are fewer skills and most are combat oriented. Magic is weaker but practically the same otherwise.

I like character creation and I wished that all different cultures could have their own beginning. But you always start in the same spot and have the same storyline.

Speaking of storyline, there is only one. It is a perfectly linear story that you cannot alter and there seems to be only one ending. Which makes this game an adventure-power gaming one instead of a role-playing one.

I recommend buying it only if you can find it under 10$.

1. Game Informer
    While Drakensang easily exceeds any expectations regarding presentation and scope, the finer points of RPG design - notably combat and player-driven interactions with the game world - are lost on the game. [Mar 2009, p.92]
    The combat benefits from great visuals and animations but you lose some of the appeal there if you're constantly having to start and stop the action for tactical convenience.
  3. While I won’t try and tell you this game serves as a replacement for Mass Effect or Fallout 3, it is pretty well done on the whole. I hope this means Radon Labs will be working on further RPGs, as Drakensang is a series with great potential.