7.7

1. Oct 22, 2014
    Not much of a review, because i am too biased.

The longest journey is the best adventure i played, Dreamfall is my favourite storybased game, and chapters just continues. To be more objective - it is less a "game" and more a "story" - or lets say - game elements won t get in the way of the story too much. TLJ was a better "game" than Dreamfall for sure. - Chapters tries to mix it up
    Not much of a review, because i am too biased.

To be more objective - it is less a "game" and more a "story" - or lets say - game elements won t get in the way of the story too much. TLJ was a better "game" than Dreamfall for sure. - Chapters tries to mix it up a little bit - offering more gameplay than "go from A to B and watch the next cutscene".

chapters looks great, has a great soundtrack and feels very good. If you loved Dreamfall, i am sure you love chapters, too.
  2. Apr 21, 2017
    I liked The Longest Journey. I loved Dreamfall. But I can't start liking this game. The story is OK, and it actually is one of the things that make me want to play. Some characters and their interactions are also well-written and keep be coming back here. However, the game itself is poor. There's a lot of running involved, and although the maps aren't that big, you will find yourselfI liked The Longest Journey. I loved Dreamfall. But I can't start liking this game. The story is OK, and it actually is one of the things that make me want to play. Some characters and their interactions are also well-written and keep be coming back here. However, the game itself is poor. There's a lot of running involved, and although the maps aren't that big, you will find yourself running in circles looking for a specific person with very vague instructions how to find them. At times certain tasks just seem like padding out the playtime of the game. The same goes for the child intermissions - a set of frustrating tasks that seem totally pointless. Furthermore, thy rely on you having played the previous games recently, and, for example, remembering the plot outline. I played TLJ over 10 years ago - how the heck am I supposed to remember which of to characters did I meet first?
    All these side tasks are frustrating, repetitive and do not bring the story forward. I have nothing against interactive movies (I love Heavy Rain), but this one plays like a chore, to the point that even the story does not seem rewarding enough.
  3. Oct 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first played Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, I had no way of preparing for what I was in for. At first I was a little astounded at some of the seemingly meaningless tasks Zoe had to complete, but then the plot quickly grew treacherous. The world grew more and more astounding and rewarding and then it feels like the creator of the game could just reach out and touch you. Characters would die that you wouldn’t think should die, the story knows how to immerse itself in realism and then wonderment. It had an effect like no other.

I don’t play games often. Most aren’t worth the time it costs to play them. But when I saw Dreamfall Chapters, I knew I had to play this game and fulfill a promise to myself: that if they ever made another game in that world, I would play it.

I’m glad I played Dreamfall Chapters. Mostly. The story sprawled, dragged and then waved its hand vaguely over its most rewarding parts. (Who the heck are Saga’s parents? What are Songlines? What the h#$% is the Bloodless King? And who the fark came up with this prophecy that just saved the day?)

Deus Ex Machina. That’s a big story no-no.

I didn’t take the bad guys seriously. They all seem a bit vapid especially since the story sets you up to see the real bad guys. (Spoiler: it’s us. Society. And our human capacity to want things to be easy, to create lines between ourselves and to create a system where we or others can be exploited.)

And most of what the game does is story, not gaming. The puzzles feel forced and not intuitive, they don’t write their way back into the plot. The skill they force you to hone is not resourcefulness but wandering around the screen with your cursor until something responds.

That’s some bullsh*t.

There are a lot of choices, and then the sense that there really isn’t any choice. The story goes much the same way in the end with a few broken eggs along the way.

It’s unfun. There are moments that it’s brilliant and beautiful. But those are the exception, not the rule.

Much of my enjoyment of this game came from the good rapport established with the previous game. If you’re a person who likes to complete things for the sake of completing them, enjoy.
  4. Dec 31, 2016
    Pour un indé (honteusement découpé en épisodes), c'est vraiment très joli surtout de par sa direction artistique à la fois recherchée et dépaysante. Et puis, c'est peut-être un détail pour vous mais la modélisation du popotin de la damoiselle Zoé est digne de ce qui se fait de mieux dans le domaine, à savoir une certaine Lara Crotch ou Cross, Crop (?), Croutch (?!), bref un derrière à 50Pour un indé (honteusement découpé en épisodes), c'est vraiment très joli surtout de par sa direction artistique à la fois recherchée et dépaysante. Et puis, c'est peut-être un détail pour vous mais la modélisation du popotin de la damoiselle Zoé est digne de ce qui se fait de mieux dans le domaine, à savoir une certaine Lara Crotch ou Cross, Crop (?), Croutch (?!), bref un derrière à 50 millions de dollars de développement.

Malheureusement en dépit ce cette performance, ça reste un indé programmé avec le fion qui tourne la plupart du temps comme une patate y compris avec une R9 380 qui fait pourtant tourner la peinture vivante The Witcher 3 en élevé à 60 trames dans ta face. Putain, on croit rêver.

En outre, si on retrouve l'ambiance agréable du précédent Dreamfall dont il est logiquement la suite, ce Chapters devient rapidement très confus niveau scénario : on pige que dalle !

Enfin, trop d'objectifs deviennent de plus en plus vagues, des objectifs qui obligent à trottiner (j'aime bien la regarder trottiner mais quand même) d'un bout de la ville à l'autre, ce qui finit par gaver. Je ne suis pas motivé pour suivre une solution afin de terminer ce jeu trop désordonné, alors j'arrête les frais : le temps c'est de l'argent.
  5. czt
    Aug 6, 2017
    Another unity-dinput ignorance case. "Full controller support" is just a lie if dinput controllers not working correctly. (See Layers of Fear or Syberia 3 as good examples.)
  6. Dec 10, 2016
    Inconsistent mess. Seems like the developers knew how to start the story and how to finish it, but in the middle they put a giant filler which they didn't even have resources to properly implement (some cutscenes are sub-par to Deadly Premonition).
    Parts that involve Kian are particularly unbearable and his storyline is just ridiculous. He joined a rebel movement that consisted solely of women, children and older people. He ran some errands for them which any retard could do, but for some reason he got praised as if they were some glorious deeds. I simply can't buy his character. He is supposed to be some sort of a killing machine but he looks and talks like a 23 y.o. mama's boy. His plotline is a total failure. Zoey's part has a lot of problems too but is more decent overall.
  7. Apr 6, 2017
    A painful trip through childhood memories and nostalgia on the longest journey of quirky and cringeworthy writing, terrible performance issues and A to B walking simulator gameplay with no challenging puzzles, featuring the illusion of choice in a world of episodic modern adventure games. And I mean I spent a weak, trying to figure out on my own how to solve underwater puzzle in the firstA painful trip through childhood memories and nostalgia on the longest journey of quirky and cringeworthy writing, terrible performance issues and A to B walking simulator gameplay with no challenging puzzles, featuring the illusion of choice in a world of episodic modern adventure games. And I mean I spent a weak, trying to figure out on my own how to solve underwater puzzle in the first game, you don't find anything like that in Chapters, the solution to every puzzle lies within your reach all the time.

Too bad the main plot is buried by the liberal PC agenda, with childish and questionable representation of politics, liberal values and equality. Almost every antagonist in the game is white/male or heterosexual that turns out to be fascist, power possesed maniac, pedophile or literally Hitler. Kian came out as homosexual, Zoe can literally cheat on her boyfriend and that's okay, Hanna and Abby are like 14 year old lesbians. It's a shame that it took 10 years to see how one of the most favorite game series ended this way. Though Saga sequenses saved a game a little for me.

I suggest Ragnar Tornquist stay out of the politics in his further games and leave his polically correct liberal views for his twitter account, because the way they were shoehorned in this game, they don't solve any real problems of real people.
  8. Jan 28, 2016
    Why are you bringing us hatred and depression when you’re promising us dreams?

That’s my question to Ragnar Tørnquist. That’s also Zoe’s question about people who created Dream machine in Dreamfall Chapters. I, much like others, was happy and I appreciated the game until Europolis. When I clicked on ‘J’ and started reading Zoe’s journal entries, it seemed like I was reading someone’s
    Why are you bringing us hatred and depression when you’re promising us dreams?

I, much like others, was happy and I appreciated the game until Europolis. When I clicked on ‘J’ and started reading Zoe’s journal entries, it seemed like I was reading someone’s Tumblr. I chuckled a little bit when Zoe made a comment ‘Boring Old White Dude’ when passing by some politician’s poster. Glad you checked your own privilege, Zoe.

Much of Europolis is inspired by Blade Runner. You’d think this could be a good idea, yet it is too much. It just seems like a world full of hateful, grumpy people. Each of them has their own opinion on this or that political. It should work, right? Here’s a futuristic European city yet there’s nothing hopeful or creative about it. In fact, this world seems too heavy, too hateful, depressed.

Newport from TLJ seems much more futuristic and forward-thinking compared to Europolis.

Why create a city in future where there’s no hope or nothing new and interesting?

Why would you choose to create a world which is basically a reflection of today’s social media? Why would you create a world that’s ugly and hateful and nasty when creating point and click adventure game?

I used to like Zoe in a previous installation. I used to like April even more. It’s good when a game has a character you enjoy spending time with. Being a little naïve also means being hopeful and adventurous – which is a good thing for an adventure game. I never liked Kian but I guess Kian gets a hall-pass because Kian is black, even though, as many others have said, Kian seems to have no personality. Zoe seemed more like a parody of today’s Tumblr-infested world by endlessly musing and thinking about herself. We viewed things from her lens, and that lens was of ‘Spooki’ by Ikea and ‘How Very Hero’s Journey’.

Who wants to watch a movie or play a game where the main character obsesses, in a very narcissistic way, about Herself/Himself All the Time? Where does that leave actual people who PLAY the game? Where’s room for us? Did anyone think about leaving some space for our thoughts and dreams?

Ragnar Tørnquist is a human being just like the rest of us, and I wouldn’t use ‘Typical Boring Old White Dude from Norway’ to describe him because:

there’s one thing about Dreamfall Chapters that’s brave, and that is bringing up Dream Machine as an addictive machine that’s shaping Stark which is very much so what Facebook, Tumblr, Skype, Whatsapp, Instagram and Google Plus are doing.Ragnar Tørnquist knows that the world we live in today’s is toxic, full of hate and anger and that is doing us more harm than good and disconnecting us all. Perhaps the world was always full of hate, fear and anger. Social media is just good at making us asocial and spreading fear, hate and anger very quickly and efficiently.

Just, why do we have to put up with this in our games? Is there no escape from other people’s opinions and depression and negativity and anger and hate?

It’s very brave, even to hint how social media might be changing the world for the worse, when you’re such a well-known man on the top.

And for that, which is very important and valuable, this game gets massive points.

I just didn’t have much fun, hope, inspiration or joy when playing it so I stopped. Last I heard, games were supposed to be fun.
  9. Aug 24, 2016
    this game would have been so much more enjoyable if I was completely apolitical or politically ignorant, but unfortunately I'm not. All the moral signalling and pro marxism **** i was berated by while walking through Zoe's city felt like a trip through a buzzfeed article. It's just sad that they felt the need to put their political agenda first.

Maybe I'm a nazi sexist myself, but I

Maybe I'm a nazi sexist myself, but I couldn't help but notice that men largely played a secondary role in every single way possible throughout the game - by making the deity of the Azadi a "goddess", the leader of the resistance being a woman, the main protagonist being a woman, the mole being a woman, women largely being the leaders of the azadi, women as the two "good" politicians in europolis, Hannah and queenie as two other important female leads, the list goes on. I also couldnt help but notice that the rebel army consisted of men and women, while the azadi soldiers were only men. I mean come on, throw me a bone here. I don't have a problem with female leads by any means, don't get me wrong, but when they go to such lengths it just feels forced.

I don't even think I can name one female character that played the village idiot or token dimwit - no, those roles were all left for the male characters lmao. Actually, I don't even think I can name a single male character that seemed remotely wise to me except for maybe blind bob, and he was more of a buffoon.

Again, it's so sad to me that they were willing to alienate probably a good chunk of their audience for the sake of their moral signalling and politics. The messages of girl power, anti-racism and pro-marxism completely spoiled this for me. If I wanted to see more liberal politics, I'd just log onto facebook
  10. Jun 25, 2015
    Correct average user score is probably about 3, if you discount people who give 10 for anything set in this world. I was a fan of The Longest Journey but this is a huge disappointment. A malfunctioning click-through video. The most difficult thing is to figure out where to click in the environment - even when you know what you are supposed to click. The puzzles are proper level forCorrect average user score is probably about 3, if you discount people who give 10 for anything set in this world. I was a fan of The Longest Journey but this is a huge disappointment. A malfunctioning click-through video. The most difficult thing is to figure out where to click in the environment - even when you know what you are supposed to click. The puzzles are proper level for pre-school kids. What happened? This can't be the same team who was behind TLJ. Expand
  11. May 13, 2015
    Some things in life get an undeserved high score on metacritic just because they have a small clique of zealous supporters, while people with a more balanced opinion don't even review it, since the thing in question just isn't important enough to merit their attention.

Dreamfall Chapters is such a thing - it's a fanboy magnet. I may have enjoyed the predecessor games a lot, and I may

Dreamfall Chapters is such a thing - it's a fanboy magnet.

I may have enjoyed the predecessor games a lot, and I may have helped crowd funding Dreamfall Chapters hoping for an enjoyable continuation to the franchise. But I was let down. More than anything else, Chapters is a snorefest.

It does take a long time to play, but that time is mostly spent running around endlessly in the same few dull environments. Sorry, I meant *walking* around, because the developer seems afraid we might hurt ourselves if we were allowed to move from point A to point B without watching our steps carefully. You can shift to a very leisurely jogging speed most of the time, but even this is denied in certain places.

The environments are graphically pretty though. Sure the game is pretty in a two-generations-behind-the-curve kind of way, but that's not so bad. What's bad, is that there is so very little to *interact* with. There is practically nothing more than the bare minimum clickable content here. Even when you're solving puzzles, you sometimes just can't find ANYTHING nearby that even responds to your touch!

Yes, the hardest part of the "puzzle solving" is walking around all over the map scanning the environment with your mouse cursor until you find an item that actually acknowledges its own existence in the game world and lets you interact with it. Grab that item, and you half solved the puzzle already. All that remains, is finding a spot where the item will do something. More walking around, and more random mouse exploration.

A *good* puzzle solving game has entertaining and quirky puzzles that makes you use your creativity, and rewards you with a satisfying "of course, why didn't I think of that!" feeling when you finally figure it out. A good game also makes sure to keep you well entertained with quirky humor while you're futzing about trying to solve the puzzles.

Dreamfall Chapters is not that kind of game - it is stiff and dull and unimaginative. If you want a *fun and enjoyable* puzzle solving adventure game, go play The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 or something.

I just said Chapters is "unimaginative", and for a fantasy adventure game that's about the worst possible sin to commit. And yet it is true. Most of it is trivial, banal, and focused on just the kind of boring everyday minutia you play fantasy adventure games to get away from for a while. Where is the sense of *adventure*? Where is the sense of moving to another world that works by different rules?

Even in the supposedly magical world of Arcadia, the "fantasy" is just a thin veneer for a carbon copy of our everyday world. It's a world of magic, but no-one seems to ever *use* magic. And it is steeped in the exact same ideological mold as our world today, in the most uninteresting way.

Do you really want to travel to a magical land, only to be preached to about the evils of racism and prejudice? Isn't that experience available to you pretty much 24/7 in the real world just by turning on the TV or opening a random page of a newspaper? Isn't it kind of boring and lame to drag boring and lame crap like that into a fantasy setting?

The game is *preachy*. It has a clear social justice warrior agenda, and never misses an opportunity to tell you what's The Right Way To Think. Just in case you didn't know, *pedophilia is bad*. This game makes sure to tell you, because it just can't leave depressing real-world issues like this alone and tell a compelling story about something fresh and inspiring. As a fantasy game should.

Sorry, that's not "Arcadia". That's the modern PC-infested world anno 2015, where you can't swing a cat without hitting something that nags about how swinging a cat is animal cruelty, and somehow at the same time a blatant expression of White Male Privilege.

And that's why you must play as a young Nazi who figures out being a Nazi is bad in this game. Sure, this is "fantasy", so they changed the name a little - "Nazi" became "Azadi". But it's still the same thing. You're a Nazi, and your task is to realize that Nazis are bad and you must make amends. That's the story.

If you already figured out for yourself being a Nazi is bad, then this game leaves a sour taste. Preachiness is annoying even when you need to hear it, and it's even more annoying when you don't, so it's really not the way to go when you wish to spread your favorite religion. The first religion that figures this out will dominate the world! :-D

My last pet peave is that the game yells *THIS WILL HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!* in your face when you do stuff, and then it shouts *THIS WAS A CONSEQUENCE!!!* when something happens.

Face. Palm.
  12. Jun 28, 2016
    A real shame and disgrace of a once great storyline and gameplay. One of the few times I regretted having backed a game on KS.
    Painfully slow... The most faithful and convincing character is the "WELDING!!!" robot.
  13. Dec 11, 2015
    First of all just why?

I'm a great fan of The Longest Journey, and I think Dreamfall: The Longest Journey wasn't that bad. I mean the gameplay was "experimental" at best, still it delivered a nice story. Now what do we have here? The gameplay is way below average. 80% of the game is walking from A to B, most of the time it lets you "run" which must be in bullet time, because it
    First of all just why?

Now what do we have here?

The gameplay is way below average. 80% of the game is walking from A to B, most of the time it lets you "run" which must be in bullet time, because it doesn't make a difference at all. The puzzles are mostly fetch quests and trial and error labyrinths. So there are no real puzzles the ingame time is artificially lengthened. The dialogue system is good, they have at least that going. Yet you can't skip most of the animations and text.

The music is good at least.

The controls haven't changed much. Inventory is much the same. At this point after Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Telltale games, Indigo Prophecy and HeayRain it is safe to consider them garbage.

The graphics are behind a generation and the optimization is poor.

So there are only a few things left that can save this game: characters and the game world, the story or mindless fanboys. Dear reader you can guess which one will save the day.

The game world is dystopian cliche in Stark. All the necessary police state elements, political corruption and syndicate influence. But this rabbit hole goes even deeper.
    The city is called "Europolis". So it is natural that half of the women wears burka and 70% of the people are Arab and Chinese. It is not a coincidence. Later you meet underage lesbians connected to the plot, because why not?

At the beginning the another protagonist in Arcadia not only had all of this personality sandblasted off during his training, but his sexual identity as well. Later after a specific set of decisions he starts a SWAG movement with his mortal enemy. Just like that. Then you find yourself in a middle age nazi deathcamp with extra added cruelty distilled form the Soviet Gulag and Khmer Rouge, bottled by childworkers. And biological warfare because they had to compete with Call of Duty Black Ops.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. There is a book to go and I wasn't really paid attention.

Here you have the game world, a tasteless, politically correct pile of crap. No soul, no creativity, complete lack of common sense and dignity. Plus they want to shove it down your throat. A real magical experience.

At last the story: without spoilers the game is about Zoe have to do things that she couldn't possibly do, then the writer appears as a deus ex machina and everything sorts itself out. End of story. We have Wizard of Oz level of writing here.
  14. Dec 9, 2015
    If you are a fan of the previous games, you will be disappointed. If you haven't played the previous games, you won't have any idea about what is going on. They're talking about Dream Machines, Arcadia, The Syndicate...What? There's no explanation for anything.
    And the game play is utterly boring and tedious. Right off the first episode bores you out with ridiculous puzzles, tedious slow walking sections and stretched mini games. The dialogue is so poor, a waste for the generally good voice acting.
    Of course there are important and exciting moments, but far too few and your choices don't really matter.

The graphics suffer from horrible performance and aliasing, despite anti-aliasing. And everything that isn't in a 10 m radius looks very blurry. Maybe a try for fake DoF, but it is very exhausting for the eyes.
    The controls will let you suffer, too, especially in certain sections of the game, which you have to do over and over again.

In the end it just isn't worth it.
  15. Mar 22, 2016
    Ok this is gonna be a hard 4, hard to give 4 because i wanted this game to be so good and it was mostly boring. I'm a huge fan of TLJ and dreamfall.

The puzzles were confusing or not fun at all.I just finished book four and I had to link memories, I had to listen to 40 second sound clips again and again, to choose the right ones. The story dosen't go anywhere, the game presents tons of characters that have cool designs but no personnality.

Magic is banned in this game and instead of visiting a magical world, you discover a world full of themes like rape, sexism, racism that are all treated very very lightly. The concentration camp wasn't scary. The rebels and azadi aren't interesting and we spend too much time with them. Death scenes are not well handled at all.

The environments are beautiful but too big! Way too big, I kept getting lost in the streets, looking for something to do.
    And some places were really cool to visit but i only spent 10 minuites there.
    Actually if the cities were smaller it would probably have been more fun!

I did a positive review here after book one came out, because i thought the game would get better, but the quality hasn't gone up since then. Too bad, this game is a real downer.
  16. Jul 26, 2015
    I really like adventure games, but after I played through the first two books, I've just forgot the game. Today I sought the shortcut. Ok, let's update it I said, but after starting the game, I clicked the quit and un-installed it.
    Why? This game is annoying, boring and a five year old kid writes better dialogues then these.

I'm sad about it, but this game is just not worth it's price.
  17. Aug 7, 2016
    Five Word Review: A beautiful and grand adventure .
    Favorite Thing: The art style. I really like the look of this game.
    Least Favorite Thing: Animation quality varied heavy between excellent and terrible.

Playtime: ~ 25h
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Recommendation: Absolutely, and don't worry about not having played (or remembering) the previous games.
  18. Aug 15, 2016
    Beautiful graphics, outstanding and amazing voice acting, accompanied by equally beautiful music that builds the atmosphere perfectly. Unfortunately ruined a little by stupid puzzles. I've never meet with such an unclear and confusing quests/puzzles in my whole life. There should by given clues for the player, by either our protagonists loud thinking or some other elements. I think I'veBeautiful graphics, outstanding and amazing voice acting, accompanied by equally beautiful music that builds the atmosphere perfectly. Unfortunately ruined a little by stupid puzzles. I've never meet with such an unclear and confusing quests/puzzles in my whole life. There should by given clues for the player, by either our protagonists loud thinking or some other elements. I think I've played half of the whole game looking for answers online, and i know i'm not alone in this. Just some parts of the game was like unconsidered to me, or simply unfinished.
    But still I HIGHLY recommend this game to any adventure games fans. Or deep story fans, cuz the story is goooooood! And the sense of humour? Oh God! Absolutely amazing. This game is not for people with no patience tho, or shooter fans.
    Oh, and that ending... ;)
  19. Jul 20, 2017
    I LOVED The Longest Journey.
    I LOVED Dreamfall. It wasn't perfect but just thinking about it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I don't know why but I think I even loved it more than TLJ.
    I really wanted to like Dreamfall Chapters so I tried playing it 5 different times but it just didn't work. When I got to Baba Yaga part I was literally depressed and I had to stop. Zoë
    I LOVED The Longest Journey.

Zoë Maya Castillo discovered cynicism. I found it hard to believe that it was the same voice-actress that I loved in Dreamfall. She has these monologues that go on and on and on and on, and omg, it just never ends, incessant naval-gazing, and how she looks at the world around her through some Intellectual **** lens.

Zoë Maya Castillo acts like she's seen it all. Like she's too good for any of that "world exploration" and her character never FEELS anything. Even when she meets a gargoyle she comments "This is just like that one time I went to France" (French people are snotty, rude and frowning like Gargoyles, get it?).

There's not one moment where she's fresh or in love or excited or just EXPERIENCING without some sort of bleak 'know-it-all'commentary. And I don't blame the actress because her work in Dreamfall was really good. And also, didn't April Ryan start off fresh and then ended up cynical and then dead?
    Why do these characters end up used and botched?

Also is future just about "I went holidaying near that Nano-factory in Mozambique"? I felt like Dreamfall Chapters tried to be edgy but came off as uninspiring and still clinging to its old days of glory. Thank god Twitter didn't exist when first TLJ came out.

So the guy who created the game called Ragnar Tørnquist discovered Social Justice Warriors or people who are hateful on Twitter and decided it would be ~edgy~ to have MORE of *THAT* in Dreamfall. I also read how he himself wrote on his website how "Most players who criticize the game come from either France, Russia or Poland" wow really -- well, Ragnar Tørnquist why don't you go and burn ALL those damn French, Soviets and Poles with a flamethrower. How dare they voice out their opinion when they buy YOUR game? Put them back in their place on your own pathetic little website. Who are you, Madonna?

The overall feel of TLJ and Dreamfall was gone but maybe the person who created those games is gone as well only to be replaced by an aging SJW Scandi-man who these days hides on Twitter.

Tørnquist always blatantly ripped of the Ring, Blade Runner and Resident Evil and "culturally appropriated" Japan and Russia to ignorant stereotypes but it didn't matter so much because we never had to hear Nordic racism and stereotypes and discrimination.

I still enjoy games. There are still games (Broken Age Chapter 1) out there that are warm and fuzzy. And honestly I didn't even know who Ragnar Tørnquist was when I played the first two games probably because his younger version didn't "create" bleak, cynical and politically correct and SJW (hateful liberals) worlds. Those games were more about the fantasy world than his ego.

Ragnar Tørnquist if Norway is such an "enlightened" country why aren't you more creative? Why are you a hypocrite? Why are you even on Twitter? Very inspirational environment?

I wanted to like the game but I will never support this particular European brand of racism where it's okay to treat entire European countries like they are "less" and disposable.

I never would have thought a guy who created Dreamfall and TLJ to be such a hateful and xenophobic person.

Shame on you.
  20. Feb 13, 2018
    SJW Propaganda, The Game.
    I'm 3 hours in and since the start it's been a continuous bombardment of Marxism, degeneracy and religion (muslims, of course). Every single white man that has shown until now is a fascist or a soiboy coward cooking or taking care of the babies, while women are heroic and strong.
    As a fan of the original The Longest Journey, I don't have any problem with
    SJW Propaganda, The Game.

As a fan of the original The Longest Journey, I don't have any problem with characters being gay, left leaning or whatever, but it had a good plot and things were included smoothly. In Chapters, there is nothing subtle about it, the plot is basically SJW masturbation since the start. Every single line of dialog is designed as some form of politically correct fantasy.
  21. May 13, 2018
    Your choices seemingly don't matter much, cringeworthy/confusing dialogues quite often, and a SJW agenda storyline. You don't need to tell me how being gay is acceptable 400 times in the game and how genocide is bad 400 times in the game, I'm aware. Focus more on the storyline and actual choices instead of shoehorning politics the whole game, thanks.

If you're a fan of the whole game

If you're a fan of the whole game being about: teenage lesbians, women empowerment, and racism/bigotry is bad m'kay... this is the game for you.
  22. Jun 19, 2016
    The dev team behind this through everything they had at this and it shows. No matter what you say about it that's the truth. It has a great commitment to diversity and exploring interesting themes like genocide, fanaticism, and genocide. Unfortunately it's genuinely one of the worst stories I've ever encountered. The first two games had a much greater understanding of character and plot...The dev team behind this through everything they had at this and it shows. No matter what you say about it that's the truth. It has a great commitment to diversity and exploring interesting themes like genocide, fanaticism, and genocide. Unfortunately it's genuinely one of the worst stories I've ever encountered. The first two games had a much greater understanding of character and plot... but this is just a mess and by the end of the 5th episode you're just astounded by how needlessly convoluted and pretentious the whole thing has become. This would be forgiveable if the game-play were halfway-decent, but as a puzzle game it is not. Oh hell no it definitely is not. Expand
  23. Jun 17, 2015
    I think some people will like it, but I found it tedious and boring. I have really struck out lately with quite a few games. I read reviews on Steam, Amazon, and Metacritic, but I was still lead astray.

The idea sounded good and the story seemed ok. But, the control scheme sucks. Their is virtually no explanation what to do. And it was boring and not fun.
  24. Dec 14, 2014
    Enjoyed the first "book" and looking forward to the next one. However I am not a fan of the episodic model that the developers have decided to take. I am sure there must be a valid reason for it.

Longest Journey and Dreamfall were as people say, terrific, but feel that at the moment it is not living up to what came in the past. I am sure that this will be rectified in the next books to be released. Great imagination and script though, look forward to future instalments.
  25. Oct 21, 2014
    Beautiful game. Beautiful world. Beautiful characters. It's got a heart inside of it which beats constantly and stops never. I haven't played the previous titles but this one looks good enough to impress me when there haven't been too many beautiful games (mostly craps) since 2014. You gotta give it a try and it'll take you down, deep deep down, into its heart. I wish the upcoming versionsBeautiful game. Beautiful world. Beautiful characters. It's got a heart inside of it which beats constantly and stops never. I haven't played the previous titles but this one looks good enough to impress me when there haven't been too many beautiful games (mostly craps) since 2014. You gotta give it a try and it'll take you down, deep deep down, into its heart. I wish the upcoming versions were as good as this one or even better. Expand
  26. Oct 23, 2014
    The developers should be commended, just because of the scope they are aiming for. Sure, because they are aiming so high, there are some technical issues - occasional stiff animations, lip-synching issues and performance problems, especially on higher graphical settings (which Red Thread have already promised to fix in future updates).

But these are all because of the no-compromise

But these are all because of the no-compromise approach they have to immersing you in a real, breathing environment you can relate to and freely roam in - full with actual people, stories, and events. Finally a story-heavy game which tells its narrative through live, interesting and meticulously scripted conversations in a living, breathing world. I'm tired of the supposedly "story-heavy" indies that feature nothing but an empty world and a set of letters to read, or ones that feature only closed underground corridors, just to have good performance. Sure, these other games' approach is cheap and "technically perfect", but misses out so much on the potential of the gaming medium.

So if you, like me, have been waiting on a game that strives to fully immerse you in its world, and makes no compromise in representing that actual living world, inhabited by actual relatable people, just to look superficially perfect, you can totally look beyond issues like imperfect lip-synching and admire the good time you'll actually spend discovering Europolis's locations, characters and secrets - and they're all pretty admirable in their own right and are so obviously a work of love and passion.

Now, if you're not familiar with the Dreamfall/Longest Journey universe, does Book One work as a good introduction to the series? Probably not, I'd advise either starting at one of the previous full-length games or waiting for the full 5 episodes to be available. While Dreamfall Chapters is setting out to look like it will be a fully self-contained package in the end, just one episode (regardless of it being relatively long in running time for an episode) is just too small of a dip in this complex and highly political universe to be able to fully appreciate it on its own.
  27. Oct 22, 2014
    Dreamfall is back in all it's adventure - exploration glory, the game dropped the unnecessary stealth and combat mechanics of it's predecessor and turned into something truly magical and exciting. Characters are great and charming, and, like always, are infinitely quotable, but of course most praise goes to Zoe Castillo: it's hard to find more alive, sincere, flawed, real human being inDreamfall is back in all it's adventure - exploration glory, the game dropped the unnecessary stealth and combat mechanics of it's predecessor and turned into something truly magical and exciting. Characters are great and charming, and, like always, are infinitely quotable, but of course most praise goes to Zoe Castillo: it's hard to find more alive, sincere, flawed, real human being in video games (apart from her franchise colleague April Ryan), and the new voice actress does an amazing job in delivering the depth of her character, The world of The Longest Journey have never been more awe-inspiring, and I can't wait for the second Book. Expand
  28. Oct 21, 2014
    Lets start this review by saying the story of the first 2 games influenced me both professionally and spiritually.. it opened my eyes on how to view science fiction and fantasy story telling, the atmosphere perfect, the soundtrack perfect.. both the games did a wonderful job at developing and engrossing you in the story.
    Dreamfall Chapters is exactly the same, it is THE best Scifi Fantasy
    Dreamfall Chapters is exactly the same, it is THE best Scifi Fantasy ever conceived.. it has better atmosphere even than Mass Effect or Half Life.. this game is a masterpiece in my book!
  29. Oct 22, 2014
    Beautiful, mature game, so deep, and so overwhelming of its beauty. I'm in love, and truly happy, that it's even better than 1st one. Reminds me art made by Tale of Tales studio.
  30. Oct 21, 2014
    Great Game not as amazing as its predecessors in terms of puzzle but the story, setting, and content is rich just wish they would release the next chapters already
  31. Jun 26, 2015
    This game makes me sad and frustrated at the same time. Being third installment of great adventure series it has so much potential of being fantastic game. And it ends up being mediocre at best.

To sum it up: 1) Nothing of consequence happens story-wise in Books 1 & 2. Most characters are uninteresting, dialog is mediocre, themes and story arc from original Dreamfall are not touched

To sum it up:

1) Nothing of consequence happens story-wise in Books 1 & 2. Most characters are uninteresting, dialog is mediocre, themes and story arc from original Dreamfall are not touched at all. Too much pointless running around with no apparent reason. Very little any real content.

2) The facial and other character animations are just bad. Even when the narrative tries to convey some kind of emotion, the characters just stand still with blank expression on their face. The original Dreamfall had better animations 10 years ago. Also very little humor. No jokes, no witty dialog, nothing. The overall tone of this game is very monotone.

3) Point & click problems. It's very easy to miss objects you can interact with. Often you know what you're supposed to do, but just can't figure the where to click or the correct order of clicking things.

4) Slow graphics. Except the animations, the game actually looks quite nice. Unfortunately it has some performance issues. Even in high-end system it can have framerate issues and in many older systems it might be pretty much unplayable. This might be alleviated in future, if they decide to change to newer Unity version.

To be fair, the Kian story arc has some interesting parts even in Books 1 & 2. Also, while Book 3 mostly has the same problems as the previous two books, the story starts to pick up some speed. The game starts to address the story arc from original Dreamfall and even the dialog seems the get better (and wittier) at times.
  32. Jul 15, 2016
    Having finished all 5 books I can now safely say Dreamfall Chapters is a great finish to the saga that started with The Longest Journey in 1999. While it's not perfect, it definitely manages to recapture the magic in TLJ since it has more references to TLJ rather than its successor Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

The catch here is that in order to fully enjoy and understand everything

The catch here is that in order to fully enjoy and understand everything that happens in Dreamfall Chapters, you should have already played the original TLJ and that's probably a letdown for most people since you have to play a 1999 point and click game with terrible graphics (but awesome art) and although this game is a landmark masterpiece for its time, most people will easily be put off by its age. However, if you haven't played it yet and you're up to the task, this will definitely make your Dreamfall Chapters experience 10x better.

Now to be honest, the first few books are really slow paced and boring. If I wasn't a huge fan of the series I would have never touched the next books. The story doesn't really get interesting until somewhere in the middle in my opinion, but oh boy is it worth the wait. I could explain more on this but I'm afraid I'll be getting into the spoilerish side of things so let's leave it at that. Keep going, you won't be dissappointed.

So overall, great game, I would've given it a 10 if it wasn't for the first books but the last books make it worth it and the whole TLJ saga tells an awesome story that will stay with you forever, I would easily recommend the whole series to adventure rpg fans any day.
  33. Jul 16, 2017
    This is a game that you have to have played the earlier games in the series to truly enjoy. It is slightly clunky and game play is limited, but the story and characters really pull you through. A fantastic end to a series well wroth playing.
  34. Apr 2, 2017
    Great game, great characters, great story and… mediocre technical realization. Still this game is an outstanding masterpiece! Thanks to the people who made this possible.
  35. Mar 31, 2017
    Long story short: Dreamfall Chapters is more of an interactive movie (or choose your own adventure book) than a traditional game.
    The balance between exploration and exposition isn't always perfect, and especially in book 1 and 2 you have plenty of (boring) walking/running to do to find out tiny bits of informations needed to further the story.
    Luckly it picks up the pace on book 3 and
    Luckly it picks up the pace on book 3 and 4, leaving book 5 as a grand finale where you watch more than you play, but after having gotten there you wont mind, as you'll crave answers.

Answers that are a tad too reliant on deus ex machina and inconsistent explaination, on par with the otherwise intriguing balance between fate, casuality and choices. Perfect? Surely not, but satisfying enough and with plenty of swerves.
    Some twists are rather easy to foresee, but others are well-done and surprising. And it all ties up in a rather satisfying way, with a final touch that closes the trilogy.

The "choices and consequences" system works well, and it really makes you (over)think some of the key decisions. Big news is, those choices DO MATTER, even though the journey has one end, the paths and the ways to get there are indeed different depending on what you choose.

The cast of characters, old and new, is simply stellar, with plenty of memorable and endearing personas (seriously, Enu is simply adorable). Zoe, much like April in TLJ, is quirky enough to be interesting, but realistic enough to be a believable "average-special girl". Even Kian shows a better personality compared to the somewhat dull showing in Dreamfall.

As a minor annoyance, the socio-political message is too heavy-handed at times, especially the elections in Europolis and the prison camps in Arcadia. Not to mention same-sex relationships.
    Odd how a generally well-crafted piece of fiction like the TLJ trilogy resorted to unnecessary exaggeration, while subtlety would have conveyed the same message in a classier way.

All in all, an enjoyable adventure, more than a game, but not entirely a game. TLJ-aficionados will find it good or even great, while its flaws and its atypical playing mechanics will frustrate, or bore, those more used to action-packed games.
  36. Jul 25, 2017
    I just finished the 5 books and played the 2 previous episodes many years ago.

Pros : - awesome story - unforgettable characters (Enu, Zoe, Crow, Mira) - voice acting - art design - universe : science-fiction and fantasy/magic - choices along the story - easy riddles Cons : - point and click gameplay I don't like much - technically average : animations are rigid,
    I just finished the 5 books and played the 2 previous episodes many years ago.

Pros :

- awesome story
    - unforgettable characters (Enu, Zoe, Crow, Mira)
    - voice acting
    - art design
    - universe : science-fiction and fantasy/magic
    - choices along the story
    - easy riddles

Cons :

- point and click gameplay I don't like much
    - technically average : animations are rigid, environments and characters textures can be excellent or ugly, bad optimized (a GTX 1080 TI SLI is required to play in 4K, everything maxed without AA)
    - 5 books launched months after months : not tailored to video games because it breaks the immersion
    - too much time between this one and the 2 previous games : a brief recap is given but is insufficient.

In spite of a few defaults, this saga is one of the best video games stories. What a pity that the 3 games The Longest Journey, Dreamfall the longest journey and Dreamfall Chapters were not launched as a single one : the immersion would have been far increased.

It is strongly advised to play the 2 previous games before this one.
  37. Nov 9, 2014
    Anyone who has given this game a 10 has to be out of their mind. I believe they are basing it on their hopes of upcoming chapters and the past TLJ games. It is not based in reality. Chapter 1 was so boring, I couldn't stand it. I loved TLJ and Dreamfall but this is nowhere near as good. Characters are boring, politics are boring, gameplay is boring, graphics are old-fashioned, hardlyAnyone who has given this game a 10 has to be out of their mind. I believe they are basing it on their hopes of upcoming chapters and the past TLJ games. It is not based in reality. Chapter 1 was so boring, I couldn't stand it. I loved TLJ and Dreamfall but this is nowhere near as good. Characters are boring, politics are boring, gameplay is boring, graphics are old-fashioned, hardly any puzzles, no humor like in other games, voice-acting is boring, etc. etc. etc. Extremely disappointed. Expand
  38. Oct 23, 2014
    I just signed up to metacritic to write this comment because I had such a big disappointment with this game.
    I'm a big fan of the original The Longest Journey because of the really entertaining story. I also liked the sequel Dreamfall. But this third installment really isn't worth playing.

As it has been said the voice acting is great. Beyond that Dreamfall Chapters has a dull story, uninteresting with cliched characters. It advances very very slowly and the activities you are doing are boring as hell.
    The gameplay is clunky and slow, moving around takes forever in a boring city with no auto-run function (need to keep pressing shift all the time).

Animations are mediocre at best. The graphics are so-so even on max settings, character models look terrible and faces are ugly. I'm playing on dual 560ti's and had to disable sli and lower the graphics quality because the game is VERY badly optimized, so you'll get fps dumps all the time even on a good pc.

All my trust on the makers has been shattered. This game feels like it was made in 2006 by an amateur studio.
  39. Oct 23, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic. The graphics look beautiful at 4k res with all the settings turned up, the story, interactivity, voiceacting and immersion is all 100% faithful to the game I fell in love with 8 years ago.

What they've done with this game is literally 1:1 copy the Telltale formula (complete with "XXXXX will remember that" and decisions that will affect later episodes as they're released, and it WORKS really well for this type of game. It's a little annoying that the game is episodic as my 10 could easily become a 2 depending on how the final episodes go as the game pans out, but as long as they can keep this standard, we're set for one of the best adventure games in years.

Only thing I have to say is that you NEED to play The Longest Journey, or you'll be totally lost. This is NOT standalone, it is a sequel through-and-through and as such requires knowledge of what happened before. Not exactly a bad thing though, TLJ is available digital on Steam and still holds up to this day (go buy it, you won't regret it)
  40. Oct 22, 2014
    This is for user named FUZ: Except the fact that you CAN zoom out the camera. Enjoy your game now.

Dreamfall Chapters is very solid sequel to the original Dreamfall game released in 2006. I do not recommend this to new comers and here's why - you wouldn't be able to appreciate it enough. If you can, play at least Dreamfall and if possible, The Longest Journey (1999) too. You will get much more into the story and characters and places.

Graphics are suprisingly beautiful, music so far superb and the atmosphere is there. However the game has some framedrop issues at the moment.
  41. Oct 22, 2014
    Disappointing Sequel.
    As a Longest Journey fan I found this, by far, not good. They're a lot of bugs in the game, the first installment shows very little conflict, bad "Puzzles" and extremely short with a very poor story. I didn't realize this game was episodic until I actually beat the first ep, and became really put off. Currently, I do not recommend this game, but I hope it pans out great.
  42. Oct 23, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic follow-up to Dreamfall and TLJ. If it were up to narrative, imagination, character, and heart alone this is an easy 10.

To be fair, this game SORELY lacks a tutorial (not speaking for myself so much, but I can't let it slide when it will alienate many new or old players). Next, it's too bad the frame rate drops are present on my admittedly PS3 Era machine in most of Propast, but the rest of the game ran flawlessly and what was there was gorgeous and imaginative.

What gets me about this game, is just how good these guys are and how sad it is that story, characters, and narratives have taken a back seat to spectacle and outside of games that really try to do both like most Bioware games, the AAA adventure and console RPG have died a slow death.

I'm bias and this game is near my heart, but if you can overlook these flaws, run, don't walk to grab a copy. The developers DESERVE it and I have confidence the full arc will be satisfying. It is too bad this one is episodic, but we've all waited so long for more Stark and Arcadia that I can deal with it.

This is easily my favorite kickstarter. I was a sucker for Tex, because I love him, but this is a different beast. This could truly be a good modern game that isn't just for the fans. I guess it's time to hope and wait.

Thanks kickstarter. I'm compelled to replay Dreamfall on my week off now to remember every little detail.
  43. Oct 22, 2014
    Once upon a time adventure games were the main genre in video games. Nowadays it´s hard to find any big publisher willing to invest on a AAA adventure game.
    So why is this relevant? You can find some great low budget adventure games, but they don't attract a mass audience like they once did because they lack the quality of high budget productions.
    And that's where Dreamfall Chapters
    And that's where Dreamfall Chapters comes in. It´s not up to the quality of $40 Million AAA titles, but it is a much bigger production then other recent adventure games.
    Great music, great voice acting. Nice visuals that can take advantage of newer tech. A cinematic look that reminds you of the time when big companies invested in adventure games. And above all, great storytelling. Yes, characters could be a bit more detailed. Facial capture could be better. But these are the few areas that remind you that this game was limited by budget. I can only imagine what the developer would be able to do if they had the budget of major AAA titles.
    I admit. I was skeptic. But once I started playing the game, I quickly felt immersed in the world. And that only happens when you´re playing a great game.
    Dreamfall Chapters continues the story of the previous games and it reminds you once again why you loved them.
    Buy this game. You won´t regret it.
  44. Nov 13, 2014
    First point&click adventure game I see realizing graphical quality near the top AAA-games out there. Very nice for this niche genre. Animations are nice, controls are fluid, no apparent bugs. Maps are filled with details and objects interaction are plenty. The story is still good and continue in the genre of TLJ with having tons of good lengthy dialogs. Voices acting is quite good too.First point&click adventure game I see realizing graphical quality near the top AAA-games out there. Very nice for this niche genre. Animations are nice, controls are fluid, no apparent bugs. Maps are filled with details and objects interaction are plenty. The story is still good and continue in the genre of TLJ with having tons of good lengthy dialogs. Voices acting is quite good too.

Now for the bad parts. Optimization is not as good as other AAA games, but based on the fact they used Unity, just managing to get this quality out of that crappy engine is very good. The part I liked the less are the choices offered. Unlike the previous games, this time NONE of the choices represented what I would have said. Zoe passed from a logical thinking being to a girl with crazy (stupid) thoughts. Also did not like that "choice have consequence" aspect stolen from The Walking Dead, especially when it prevent you from seeing everything the game have to offers in one playthrough. Now you have to play the game twice to see all zones.
  45. Oct 26, 2014
    It's a good game but horribly unoptimised-hope that Red Threat team will realise patch soon,even on low settings it's borderline unplayable on a pc with relatively new hardware.What I really didn't like is an excessive use of so called bad language-I wouldn't mind it here and there but hey this is just a way too much,I mean what's the point,are we kids or something?
  46. Nov 3, 2014
    Fantastic visuals and voice acting, light on story and puzzles. I'm quite interested in the "consequences", but until the whole thing is released, there is no point in replaying anything; it would just mess up the choices. On the technical side, it has several graphics options but no built in framerate limit and even forced vsync doesn't seem to work; my system can do lots of frames perFantastic visuals and voice acting, light on story and puzzles. I'm quite interested in the "consequences", but until the whole thing is released, there is no point in replaying anything; it would just mess up the choices. On the technical side, it has several graphics options but no built in framerate limit and even forced vsync doesn't seem to work; my system can do lots of frames per second at a cost of noise which I only accept from few games. Expand
  47. Oct 22, 2014
    RedThread has continued their tradition of great storytelling with this long awaited third game. The story is deep and rich in a way that so many triple A games from big name studios are not. Dreamfall and TLJ clearly inspired Funcom's The Secret World MMO. If you enjoy classic Action Adventure games than this it but don't start at chapters. Get The Longest Journey and play theRedThread has continued their tradition of great storytelling with this long awaited third game. The story is deep and rich in a way that so many triple A games from big name studios are not. Dreamfall and TLJ clearly inspired Funcom's The Secret World MMO. If you enjoy classic Action Adventure games than this it but don't start at chapters. Get The Longest Journey and play the entire storyline. Expand
  48. Oct 23, 2014
    I have been waiting 8 years for this game, and I was not disappointed. While I don't love that I have to wait for each book, I can't discount how much I loved this first part, and I would rather wait then get something that isn't wonderful. The story did a good job of pulling me back in, and the world "felt" the same as it did in the other games.

I can't wait for the rest of the books

I can't wait for the rest of the books so I can continue playing!
  49. Feb 24, 2016
    I would rate this game a 100, if I could. I can't believe it has been 16 years since I started this journey! The addition of choice and consequence has proved to be very interesting so far. Can't wait for Book 5!
  50. Jul 28, 2015
    Dreamfall: Chapters is undoubtedly everything I expected it to be. As a lover of the TLJ franchise, a lot of questions made in the previous games have gone on unanswered. This will be the conclusion of the story and the answer to all the unsolved riddles. The talking animations, as per usual in the TLJ franchise, need a little bit of work. In my opinion, solving the lip animations is theDreamfall: Chapters is undoubtedly everything I expected it to be. As a lover of the TLJ franchise, a lot of questions made in the previous games have gone on unanswered. This will be the conclusion of the story and the answer to all the unsolved riddles. The talking animations, as per usual in the TLJ franchise, need a little bit of work. In my opinion, solving the lip animations is the biggest problem. However, I seem to have been blinded by the previous games so much so that I almost expect (and therefore do not notice) it in this game.

The graphical quality in this game is astounding yet I'm having a bit of trouble getting this game to run at an appropriate frame rate. Granted, my computer's GPU is a year and a half behind its' time, yet running this game at a lower quality does not produce at least 60 fps. This is a problem as I know this game is capable of doing that. Other than that, I enjoy the fresh new take on Stark and Arcadia... including the shoulder cam. If you have problems operating this view (after the first two hours of play), you have some issues.

The puzzle solving is intuitive (what other reviewers here call "childish"), more intuitive than the other TLJ franchise games which helps a little bit because I am not decimated to literally sniffing out every possibility. There are some of those annoying "get all these things in this area" parts, but after the acquisition of the items, the puzzles follow sound logic (not video game logic, which for the most part doesn't make a whole lot of sense).

Story wise, well, it's The F*%@$^ Longest Journey! What did you expect? Some sort of "Ramirez Do Everything" plot? Also, mayhaps some of the early reviews (I'm looking at you, people who wrote before the third book release, and Kotaku) forgot one important thing about this franchise: it leads you in with a few hours of build and exposition before it slaps you in the face with development. THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS SERIES SO GOOD. Not just because of what the twist was (WatiCorp was weird as hell in Dreamfall), but because of how satisfying the twists were. Now that I know that all our questions will be answered, it only makes me wonder more what that body-jarring reveal is going to be.

I've addressed the haters a couple times in this review, but now I speak to them directly:

Look, I understand that you are not pleased with parts of the game. Yes the game can be buggy, yes the saves don't exactly work right and are unhelpful in overcoming glitches. Yes, this game has some graphical issues, and yes these changes might be just a little bit much for some TLJ fans. However, think about what you are saying for a moment... you are judging this game as if it were a AAA title. However, it most certainly is not. It's an indie game that has been funded by its' fans, and combined with a donation from the Norwegian Film Institute, Red Thread Games only has 1.25 million dollars to fund this game. Compare this to Triple-A game developers such as Warner Brothers and their recent Batman game which they couldn't even port to the PC properly. Not only are Arkham's problems worse than Dreamfall's, Arkham had a budget of tens of millions of dollars. Saying that you are judging them on the same scale as a Triple-A game developer is proof enough that this game is more than just an Indie Title, it's a piece of art and a huge step forward in populace-controlled culture. If you can't appreciate that, if you aren't patient enough to wait for a solid release and a promise of a quality product at the finish line, then you obviously just don't understand: this game was not made for you. This game was made for people who want to make a difference in the poisoned and weak video game industry and to open their hearts to something new. Fitting as well, seeing that this is one of the main underlying principles in the games: the fact that people as a whole are not willing to put up with something different.

As for the episodic releases, well, everyone who's a fan of TLJ wanted to know that it was at least happening, right? It was in limbo for such a long period of time, it's pretty much been The Longest Journey waiting for this frickin game! But it's here, and I personally prefer the episodic releases as I just want to ensure that there are other real people on the other end and that they do care about their fans. Finally, someone actually cares.

9/10 only because of some minor issues. With issues resolved, 10/10.
  51. Jun 12, 2015
    Dreamfall Chapters is a new episodic instalment on the TLJ series, and a direct sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.
    The game is wonderfully written - great story, great characters, excellent dialogue and voice acting - and beautifully designed. With two books out, Dreamfall Chapters is quickly earning its place as one of the most interesting games of 2015.
    Highly recommended.
  52. Nov 3, 2014
    A decent game, while has its good moments, has its flaws. Played The longest journey Dreamfall before and loved it this game however got repetetive and pretty boring fast. While I have to agree with a lot of people that the voice acting is good, it lacks in other very important areas. First of all the graphics are fine, but has its fps drops, the game's pacing is super slow, didnt find theA decent game, while has its good moments, has its flaws. Played The longest journey Dreamfall before and loved it this game however got repetetive and pretty boring fast. While I have to agree with a lot of people that the voice acting is good, it lacks in other very important areas. First of all the graphics are fine, but has its fps drops, the game's pacing is super slow, didnt find the character interactions too intresting, you roam through a city endlessly using the same routes again and again and again. Ull have sort of an escrot mission with a robot which is plain boring. ull be running from point a to point b and back, running takes forever by the way. nothing intresting to keep me on toes happens. the beginning of the game had promise more. at the end theres not much to keeo me wanting to get back for more despite the fact i loved the previous games. Expand
  53. Jun 27, 2015
    What absolute crap! Right off the bat, the first puzzle was not working right. If you look up cheats for it, (because I HAD to in order to move forward) the most common advice is to restart the game....over and over! What a joke! So I played a bit more and when she says "Shine...you crazy diamond you..." that was enough for me. Who wrote this crap? Who is it made for? I want my money back!
  54. Oct 26, 2014
    For those who have endured the long journey (I just did that...) from Dreamfall to what would become Dreamfall Chapters, I can only tell you that the wait was well worth it. As someone who loved The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, I was hoping that the series would one day continue, and here we are. Not only is this exactly what a fan of the series would want, it improves on Dreamfall. IFor those who have endured the long journey (I just did that...) from Dreamfall to what would become Dreamfall Chapters, I can only tell you that the wait was well worth it. As someone who loved The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, I was hoping that the series would one day continue, and here we are. Not only is this exactly what a fan of the series would want, it improves on Dreamfall. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for this wonderful series. Expand
  55. Fuz
    Oct 23, 2014
    I'll start saying that The Longest Journey is one of my favourite adventure games ever. Beautful game.
    I also enjoyed quite a lot the first Dreamfall.
    I also enjoyed quite a lot the first Dreamfall.
    So, why this low score? Easy said: shoulder camera. It's sort of a new trend in gaming that I can't tolerate. It makes me feel unbalanced and ill, I have problems moving around and going straight with it. Even zooming out, the camera stays (although less) on the side of the character... and it often gets back to a more zoomed in position, adding the annoyance of zooming it out again quite often.
    The first Dreamfall had a perfectly fine and functional centered camera. I wish developers would have just sticked with that (or at least gave us the option to choose). It would have worked way better.
  56. Oct 28, 2014
    While I haven't quite finished up the first chapter so far I have to say that the game has been fantastic. The wonderful story of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are maintained, the graphical improvement is amazing and captures the beauty of the Storytime and Stark alike. The characters are as detailed and engaging as they have ever been and I feel more subtle and mature as well in a wayWhile I haven't quite finished up the first chapter so far I have to say that the game has been fantastic. The wonderful story of The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are maintained, the graphical improvement is amazing and captures the beauty of the Storytime and Stark alike. The characters are as detailed and engaging as they have ever been and I feel more subtle and mature as well in a way that reflects Ragnar's growth as a storyteller. The game is not perfect, the segment in Arcadia which was developed first is a little graphically rough, but not too distractingly so. Also this is the first episode and like the preceding games it's largely interested in grounding you in the life of the main character... so it IS a little slow. But for me that pace just gave me time to savor the world and drink in all of the loving detail. Expand
  57. Jan 31, 2015
    Can't think of anything else ever since finishing episode 1. If the game is going to be as good as the first episode lets you believe it will, then the game will be absolutely grandiose, I'm sure of it.
  58. Mar 14, 2015
    Book one it's cool but second book is a piece of art. The graphical quality is amazing and the history really deep and your decisions are really important
  59. Dec 11, 2014
    I did not finish this game yet (though it is not too long), but I need to emphasize, how beautiful it is. The message, the story and all, not just the graphics. There is a heart beating within. A wonderful philosophy all around. ...and of course great atmosphere. Superb, and cruelly long-awaited sequel of TLJ. I'm glad that such deeply spiritual and original games still exist.
  60. Jan 5, 2015
    Awesome continuation of the story that I fell in love with. Thirsting for the rest of the story, only complaint is it was too short... but I guess that is why there are more books on the way.
  61. Jul 2, 2016
    The Gameplay is medicore (7/10) but fun.
    Artdesign and story are amazing 10/10 (especially book 4,5).
    Since Story and Characters are the most importent thing for me in this Game(Saga), the game is
    even with a disapointing gameplay a 10!
  62. Jun 5, 2016
    This is more visual novel with alternate endings. The first books were a bit slow but the pace really picks up in book 4. As usual, with Ragnar Tornquist at the helm, the writing is top notch and is a great narrative driven game. The voice acting is well done and the visuals are decent to great. Character models are a bit stiff and movement is a bit wonky at times. There is not muchThis is more visual novel with alternate endings. The first books were a bit slow but the pace really picks up in book 4. As usual, with Ragnar Tornquist at the helm, the writing is top notch and is a great narrative driven game. The voice acting is well done and the visuals are decent to great. Character models are a bit stiff and movement is a bit wonky at times. There is not much in the way of game play and there is a section with searching for Saga's pictures that was infuriatingly unnecessary. So much so that I quit playing for a couple of weeks and then just slogged through that section to get on with the story.

All in all its a deep and rich story and worth playing to experience. Having been a huge fan of Ragnar's work in the past, this does not disappoint if you go into it understanding that its more narrative than game. For me its an excellent game but not as good as The Longest Journey, Dreamfall. I happen to also really enjoy The Secret World - and wish Ragnar and Martin Bruusgard were still a part of that team.
  63. Nov 19, 2014
    This game... As someone who played the originals I was overjoyed to see they were able to fund the continuation. Insta buy. Having played it I can say that the art is great, story telling is great, setting, voice acting, script all great. Didn't have any crashes, some performance issues but nothing game breaking.

But that being said. It's very short. I took my time and it only took 4.5

But that being said. It's very short. I took my time and it only took 4.5 hours to finish. I... must have missed something... I must have. I will still recommend this game, giving the history of this game. But 4.5 hours is a little disappointing. It will potentially have great replay value. Once you get the complete game. I might give it another go, to explore the other options, but I can't seem to put my original run in a separate save file. So I'd probably have to rerun it 2 times to get everything set for book 2. Which seems like a waste of time.

I hope they can make the funding last... for now this get a 7.
  64. Oct 25, 2014
    The anticipation of Dreamfall Chapters, was enough to cause me to stay up the entire day of its disappointing release. The game is littered with a variety of technical issues, which are overshadowed by the lack of optimization. I imagine Red Thread will eventually release a patch that increases performance on a wide spectrum of hardware. The good news is, the game is not unplayable. AtThe anticipation of Dreamfall Chapters, was enough to cause me to stay up the entire day of its disappointing release. The game is littered with a variety of technical issues, which are overshadowed by the lack of optimization. I imagine Red Thread will eventually release a patch that increases performance on a wide spectrum of hardware. The good news is, the game is not unplayable. At medium and low settings, the game still looks quite aesthetically pleasing.

The length of Book one leaves a lot to be desired, and being an adventure game where story takes precedence, it’s a bittersweet experience. Just as book one was becoming interesting, it ends. This is reminiscent of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. However, book one builds up to a strong foundation which I suspect will lead to a story as grand and interesting as The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

The addition of choices which change the story, is meaningful to a series that has always had a strong, but linear narrative. This allows for a diversity that only recent adventure games have introduced, and increases the replayability of the game. I was disappointed that none of the choices you made had much of an immediate impact, however I am also appreciative of this. It allows the creative team at Red Thread to really think how the decisions we make might impact the story, and it only increases my anticipation for the next book to be released.

Be warned, that the game gives almost no context to the world around you, and only gives little snippets to past events. This seems to fit with the main character, although it leaves a bit to be desired as a player. As someone who has spent a lot of time with the previous games, I didn’t experience any issue with immediately getting immersed in the world. For other players, this might be an issue. I would highly recommend playing the previous iterations before trying this game out.

If you are an adventure fan, who primarily wants an involving and impactful narrative to immerse yourself in, Dreamfall chapters will give you that. However, with four books still left to be released, be prepared to have a gap every couple of months.
  65. Aug 2, 2016
    Short review:
    Short summary:
    +Long awaited continuation of the long-running saga +Story is well crafted and of high quality +Good voice acting +Good world, atmosphere, graphics, old locations revisited and new ones are wonderfully presented +Good soundtrack +You're choices affect the storyline +Powerful conclusion +/- Game might not really fit to players which are not fans of
    Short review:
    Short summary:
    +Long awaited continuation of the long-running saga
    +Story is well crafted and of high quality
    +Good voice acting
    +Good soundtrack
    +You're choices affect the storyline
    +Powerful conclusion

+/- Game might not really fit to players which are not fans of the series and haven't played the now very old previous installments
    +/- Music is a bit recycled throughout the game
    +/- A good conclusion to Dreamfall, and to the entire saga, but not a very good one to its own story

- Story, although good, feels half-baked at times, and doesn't get to the peaks and levels of depth that TLJ and DF managed to get to.
    - Supporting characters are simply not as good or as significant as in the past
    - Your choices affect some stuff, but in the end 'story is already written and we can't change it'

I've written a longer (much longer) review on Steam and wanted to post it here as well but I simply wrote too much!

Although I do have some complaints and hard feelings towards chapters, It is a honorable closure to Dreamfall and The Longest Journey.
    It simply didn't feel to me as good as those previous games, but the ending really made up for it, at least for me, and was really moving and powerful.

If you're a fan of the series you should play it, for the very least to learn and get the answers for the questions from the last game.
  66. Oct 23, 2014
    Dreamfall Chapters form the begin it's a good game
    Voice acting was good
    The Jokes was Great
    Good story And The city It was awesome
    But There are no consequences you have to Wait To The next Chapters to know
    In the end the game is worth trying if you have time
  67. Jun 18, 2016
    Some parts need polish especially in the beginning, over all is a 10 but the beginning ruins it a bit cause of the engine. I hope see more of this stuff
  68. Sep 19, 2018
    I'm a long time fan of the series therefore my review is strongly subjective. I played this game for one reason only: to finish the story that started in 1999's The Longest Journey. Dreamfall Chapters is more an interactive story than adventure game. Nice visuals, great soundtrack, likeable characters and satisfactory ending to series.

---- Now, an explanation for those who complain

----

Now, an explanation for those who complain about this game being "SJW propaganda", "pro-feminism", "leftist agenda", "multiculturalist" etc. Yes, it is inclined towards some social-political ideas, but...

Azadis are portrayed as antagonists and their appearance, culture, religion is based on Arabs/muslims. Azadi Empire is matriarchal society where women hold the power but in no way is it portrayed as ideal example that we should all follow. Leftists and SJWs would rather show Azadi as more of a ideal society spreading good around the world.

The higher frequency of muslims in Europolis, the far-right European Dawn party or Zoe working for social-democratic Unity party is not necessarily leftist/marxism propaganda. It is reflection of (possible) future reality. Demographic trends show that muslims will be much more populous in Europe in the future (game is set in 23rd century). Political trends show that populist, conservative right-wing parties are rising (and I see no reason why couldn't be rising again in 23rd century). And Zoe may be working for social democrats because they are the "lesser evil" when compared to racist, populist, authoritarian European Dawn.

Yeah, I agree that sometimes the game was quite open about "pro-female orientation", but it was deliberate design choice with strong basis in logic/reality.
  69. Aug 17, 2018
    The acting is all over the place (some good, some horrific). Having not played the first 2 games, the storyline very odd, and so far fetched, it is bordering on the ridiculous. However there is something about this game that keeps me coming back for more. I am somewhere in book 2, and thoroughly enjoying myself. I'm just not sure why.

Edit... for to about book 4, then got bored.

Edit... for to about book 4, then got bored. Still worth the entry price.
  70. Jul 5, 2019
    I am shocked by how low rating this game has. But i understand why - most of people are stupid FIFA fans who can not appreciate this deep masterpiece.
    The game has not flaws, it is a a perferct masterpiece, it has extremely complex and global plot, great graphics, deep emotional moments, and creative game design approaches.
    The game is not linear and has multiple endings, all choices
    The game is not linear and has multiple endings, all choices affect the plot in extremely unexpected ways. The game managed to combine sci-fi anti utopia and with fantasy. Creation of world and its destruction. The game is massive and it is a shame it is not that known.
    There is a deep lore, many interesting and unique races, great adult humor.
    The game is like Witcher 3 but without stupid repetitive fights.

1. May 7, 2017
    The characters, along with the story, are the strong point of the title, returning many of the classics we could see being a jumble of pixels in 2D so many years ago.
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 28, 2016
    Dreamfall Chapters is a mess of a game, with both story and gameplay segments varying wildly in quality. That said, it is still a must-play for all fans of the series. There are very few games that attempt to weave such an ambitious narrative. [Aug 2016]
  3. CD-Action
    Sep 17, 2016
    Dreamfall Chapters is a satisfactory successor to The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but not a good enough game in its own right. [09/2016, p.46]