8.2

1. Feb 16, 2019
    I thought I was fed up with fantasy games and their lore, but to my surprise Eastshade draws me in. I think it's simply because it's not ye ol' fighting warrior dragon blah blah narrative, but a story focused on artists, painting, writing, architecture, reading and creating. There's a laid back atmosphere, a calm demeanor in the characters you meet, that's contagious.

The driving

The driving mechanic is to paint commissions for people to solve quests, and the concept works splendidly. It's exciting and engaging, at least for me who have an interest in photography. To solve a quest you could just sloppily get a corner of the thing you're supposed to paint into frame, but I spend a lot of time on finding the perfect angle and light, simply because I find it so enjoyable to compose. I'm itching to paint all the time, but there's an "inspiration meter" that has to be filled before you can paint - you get inspiration from seeing, experiencing or reading about new things - so I'm constantly driven forward by that enticing mechanic.

I'm coming straight from screenshotting an AAA title, which makes the graphics a bit meh for me, but of course I understand why it is the way it is and I'm impressed with what they have pulled off here. I was also at first disappointed at the low quality of the paintings themselves, but it seems that doesn't stop me from internally screaming for painting everything I see. There are at the moment of release a lot of bugs, some unfavorable game mechanic kinks here and there, bad voice acting, and the weird, glaring omission of giving us the possibility to get a clear screenshot of our paintings to share. Added together these things drags the score down for me. Expect an excellent core idea, with the endearing flaws of a fresh indie game.

I've been aching for years for a story driven game like this that doesn't shove constant combat in my face, and it's finally here. I'm so grateful!
  2. Feb 15, 2019
    A really beautiful experience. It manages to be new and interesting without being wacky or alienating, providing a delightful character and world-driven experience whilst avoiding violence in its mechanics. Eastshade creates a sense of place incredibly successfully.

Absolutely charming and rewarding.
  3. Oct 12, 2019
    ​What a unique game. I stopped playing open world games at some point mostly because running around for long periods of time in worlds that are actually mostly empty became a time investment I couldn't justify any more after leaving school. Also, I stopped playing violent games and obviously, basically all open world games are focused on combat (or horror).
    Eastshade is very different in
    Eastshade is very different in both of these regards. For one thing, even though there is a lot of gorgeous scenery to see and discover, it is relatively densely populated. One also receives multiple ways of traveling faster quite soon and so aside from the very beginning, it rarely happens that you have to actually run back and forth for a quest (one still might have to go back and forth but can use various modes of travel). Speaking of quests - that's another thing. They have actually created a game with quests and drama that doesn't require combat. Feels more like a first person adventure game. Personally, it reminds me of a mix of a dense Elder Scrolls game (quests, collecting ingredients, brewing and crafting things) and Dear Esther (gorgeous scenery). One actually doesn't paint as much as one might think. Many quests are about talking to characters and interacting with the environment. Painting is for the most part about earning money and progressing in the main quest.
    Now, even after months of patches, the game still has flaws (hence only 9/10) but since non of them are game breaking and this being the first game of a presumably small team, I am willing to look the other way and would still wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is into adventure-type games.
  4. Feb 27, 2020
    If the way you play Skyrim is wandering the countryside, doing various small tasks, hunting, camping, taking screenshots etc then Eastshade is more or less tailor-made for you. It's essentially a mini-version of Skyrim with a few small cities, beautiful vistas, interesting NPCs, quests, some mystery and exploration etc but no fighting. Instead you're a painter out to commemorate yourIf the way you play Skyrim is wandering the countryside, doing various small tasks, hunting, camping, taking screenshots etc then Eastshade is more or less tailor-made for you. It's essentially a mini-version of Skyrim with a few small cities, beautiful vistas, interesting NPCs, quests, some mystery and exploration etc but no fighting. Instead you're a painter out to commemorate your mother's memory by painting her favorite spots around Eastshade, and along the way you'll meet and help the local people as well.

Sounds boring? Well, it's not. At least not if you're of a slightly more mature disposition, rather it's a wonderful and relaxing game which proves that you can make a great open-world RPG which isn't combat oriented. I highly recommend Eastshade for people who like games along the lines of Skyrim, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Journey, ABZU etc. Adventure game lovers, and anyone who enjoys an interesting setting and story, should feel right at home. A very memorable and unique experience overall.
  5. Dec 9, 2019
    Amazing, non-violent quest-exploration game. As an artist, some of your quests are fulfilled by painting a scene, which is probably the most interesting and unique aspect of this game
    If you're looking for a game to simply chill & relax with, then this is it!
    Pros: +Beautiful visuals +Relaxing, enjoyable unique gameplay +Painting is super satisfying +Open world +Wonderful story
    If you're looking for a game to simply chill & relax with, then this is it!

Pros:
    +Beautiful visuals
    +Relaxing, enjoyable unique gameplay
    +Painting is super satisfying
    +Open world
    +Wonderful story
    +Interesting quests
    +Great voice acting
    +Soundtrack

Cons:
    -A few minor bugs but nothing game breaking.

I Highly recommend this game!
  6. Mar 14, 2019
    Very comfy game. Highly recommended to adventure game fans. Mildly recommended to all game fans.

PS. Extremely recommended to fans of not having enemies jump at you anywhere in the game.

8/10 actually but 9/10 for being original at being so comfy.
  7. Feb 18, 2019
    Best puzzle game since Portal. Absolutely beautiful!! What's not to love?
  8. Feb 20, 2019
    I think what is most fun about this game is the sens of peace and exploration. There are nice NPC interactions for side quests and painting is nice. Crafting is nothing too fancy. No violence, maybe 2-3 puzzles. You get frequent fps skipping around areas with a lot of vegetation. Playing with the settings doesn't resolve it. Around the last quests there is more bugs around. Most can beI think what is most fun about this game is the sens of peace and exploration. There are nice NPC interactions for side quests and painting is nice. Crafting is nothing too fancy. No violence, maybe 2-3 puzzles. You get frequent fps skipping around areas with a lot of vegetation. Playing with the settings doesn't resolve it. Around the last quests there is more bugs around. Most can be avoided by restarting save games, but it's annoying. The boating is just too slow. I give it a 75%. Nice game with some technical glitches. Expand
  9. Jun 6, 2020
    Not for me. Played 30min and just couldn't get into it. It felt cheap and boring. The characters are pretty bland and nothing really caught my interest and made me want to continue playing this game.
  10. Mar 11, 2019
    Surprisingly, great game. Very beautiful and relaxing game. Funny characters, amazing music, great design make this game almost a masterpiece. 8.5/10
  11. Jan 7, 2022
    One of the best video games of all time - Beautiful, mystical, human, fantastical, imaginative, aesthetically charming, subtle, layered themes, sensuous, psychedelic, You will not understand until you have spent time in this exceptional place.
  12. Sep 8, 2021
    Eastshade features a world that is vast, serene, and filled with lush foliage and stunning architecture. The game is designed for you to explore it at your own pace, and there is no pressure for how you choose to progress through the game.

There are no enemies in the game, and there are plenty of people to talk to and do errands for. It is easy to pour time into roaming around and taking in the sights. It's like taking a walk in the park, except that the park is more like an exotic island. The visuals are better than most AAA games to date, and the performance is great as well.

Overall, an experience that is much more enjoyable than you would expect. On the other hand, it can get a little boring after a while once you realize that there isn't much depth to the game. There are a few significant bugs that you have to contend with, and the "nighttime freeze" factor and the lack of fast travel in the beginning weighs on the gameplay a bit.
  13. Apr 23, 2019
    Watched from a walkthrough video. Atmosphere is quite relaxing. I wanted to travel and go hiking after finished watching it.
  14. Dec 11, 2019
    This is NOT a walking simulator. This game is a heartwarming experiece with a lot of quests and actually you have to think a little - if you don't use a walkthrough. I got stuck several times but always found a solution on my own.

Very cute game with a compelling story und lovable characters. If you are into nice landscapes, arts, solving riddles and dreaming, this is a game for you!

There are some minor graphics glitches but I did actually not care about them.

I needed 28 hours. I did not use any walkthroughs and explored the whole island.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 20, 2019
    Annoying glitches, barebones backstory and simplistic painting mechanics do no credit to Eastshade, but still, this is a rare truly charming "walking simulator" as well as a perfect opportunity to visit a faraway land if your vacation is months away.
  2. Apr 11, 2019
    Eastshade is a little gem: a game without violence built around painting and the curiosity to discover beauty.
  3. Mar 10, 2019
    Eastshade combines successfully RPG and walking simulator mechanics and invites the player to discover the wonderful world and characters created by Eastshade Studios.