8.5

1. Jul 2, 2021
    I don’t want to sound too harsh, as a Metroidvania glutton I enjoyed my time with Ender Lillies, at a time where a lot of us are eagerly awaiting Hollow Knight: Silksong, a game that attempts to do similar things fairly successfully is bound to be warmly received.

From the start though, I’ve had this nagging feeling that this game was missing something and the reason it’s hard to pinpoint is that the devs are good enough that it’s almost never one major thing. The creators of Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knight, a title so generic it becomes offensive, understand what makes a Metroidvania work. If you go left at the start, as most Metroid fans are wont to do, you will be greeted with a locked door that will nag at you for 90% of the game and that exaltation you feel when you finally open it is exactly what the genre is all about. So if you are in the mood for a decent Metroidvania, read no further and go play Ender Lilies. If you are looking for the next Hollow Knight on the other hand, read on, or stay away from this game. So what makes a Hollow Knight so great? Maybe it depends on who you ask, but for me it’s a combination of true exploration, amazing level design and art direction, areas that feel different enough but part of a whole, great gameplay and combat; satisfying new abilities that make you want to immediately revisit previous areas. I could go on and on, but let’s focus on these for now. Ender Lilies never feels great, the areas are fine, but not memorable. It’s somewhat challenging but not consistently enough to give you a sense of accomplishment, the bosses are pretty good, but don’t feel especially inspired. There is also a readability problem where the fights become a sloppy combination of your flashy attacks and the bosses flashy attacks and you can’t tell when to dodge. The exploration is maybe the most problematic, because the game color codes the map, orange if completed and blue if you need to find something, there are also red dots on the sides if you need to find a new path. It’s helpful, but inelegant and also provides this checklist feel instead of the more refined and mysterious exploration of Hollow Knight. Another apt comparison would be the checklist nature of an Assassin’s Creed type open world map vs Breath of the Wild’s organic and explorative one. The game completely falls apart in the final section, a poisonous uninviting mess of an area that makes you reminisce fondly on Dark Souls’ Blighttown. It’s impossible not to take damage, and you are basically invited to rush through a rushed through environment instead of exploring it, an experience that mirrors development perhaps? It certainly feels that way. Ultimately the bottom line is that Ender Lilies is unoriginal, somewhat generic and if you’ve played Hollow Knight, Blasphemous, Salt and Sanctuary or a SoulsBorne you’ve played a far better version of what’s on offer here. That doesn’t mean the game is without merits, it’s competently made for the most part and will definitely scratch the Metroidvania itch if you are a fiend like me. 7.5/10
  2. Jun 23, 2021
    I made an account just to give this game a 10/10. Everything about this game is amazing, the music, setting, story, and atmosphere are all beautiful and give it so much charm and originality. The gameplay is not overly complex, you start with a basic attack and can dive to dodge attacks, which is fun to play with itself, but over the course of the game you get spirits which give new movesI made an account just to give this game a 10/10. Everything about this game is amazing, the music, setting, story, and atmosphere are all beautiful and give it so much charm and originality. The gameplay is not overly complex, you start with a basic attack and can dive to dodge attacks, which is fun to play with itself, but over the course of the game you get spirits which give new moves and its add so much variety. The difficulty is also just right; nothing seems unfair, and although it may take more than one try for bosses, you learn their patterns and slowly get better at it. Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2021
    This game is super immersive and fun, with the music being the cherry on top. If you liked hollow knight and similar games, you will like this.
  4. Jul 1, 2021
    Such a beautiful game. I was waiting for a worthy Castlevania and this was definitely one.
  5. Jun 27, 2021
    Amazing metroidvania game brilliant level design wonderful skills thrilling boss fight fascinating art direction best ost in 2021, ofc this game deserves more love
  6. Jun 29, 2021
    i made a metacritic account just to give this masterpeace a 10/10. the music, the boss battle, the story truly amizing
  7. Jul 15, 2021
    The worst map i have ever seen on a metroidvania.
    Music is repetitive, always kind of the same melody, sound effects are bad too, everything sound so weak and floaty.
    Art is ok, but too dark, everything looks kind of the same.
    Combat is ok and obviously it takes a lot of gameplay things from Hollow Knight
  8. Jul 19, 2021
    A near perfect game and as good as they come. Earned a spot on my top-10-favourite-list.
    If you want to have an idea of how good it is ... to me, it is up there with Ori and the Blind Forest. It is a bit hard at times, but the spawn points are very forgiving (looking at you, Hollow Knight) and one of the few games I did not turn down the music b/c it became annoying.
  9. Jul 3, 2021
    I enjoyed it x10 times more than any AAA release from past 3 years. Also better than hollow knight.
  10. Sep 23, 2021
    10/10 soundtrack 10/10 boss fight 10/10 story
    10/10 art style Must play if you like metroidvania
  11. Dec 10, 2021
    Great game. Not a fan of hollow knight or most metroidvania games. This one was different.

The story was well weaved into the duration of the game and I like how much more important it became as you got into the later game. There was a lot of optional text to read which I thought made the game much better. The plot was well written. The music was very passive and eerily soothing

The music was very passive and eerily soothing while also sad. I appreciated how the music amped up during boss fights.
  12. Jul 29, 2021
    It's an OK metroivania. Just don't expect high quality like Symphony of the Night or any other Castlevania for that matter. It's a pretty bare bones experience from a company I'd expect is pretty green. Not bad, just really not that great either.
  13. Aug 24, 2021
    This game is literally a gem. Loved every bit of it, the art style, the combat, the graphics and soundtrack. Even compared to Hollow Knight it's just a lot shorter, but filled with high quality moments of fight and exploration. Even the dark and beautiful story is told in an elegant, light way that never bores. Hope the devs get the credit they deserve and give us a bigger sequel or a newThis game is literally a gem. Loved every bit of it, the art style, the combat, the graphics and soundtrack. Even compared to Hollow Knight it's just a lot shorter, but filled with high quality moments of fight and exploration. Even the dark and beautiful story is told in an elegant, light way that never bores. Hope the devs get the credit they deserve and give us a bigger sequel or a new game. Buy it, you won't regret it. Expand
  14. Jul 3, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The majority of the game is great, however, in the end, it becomes a frustrating, unfair, unoriginal **** The final boss is just the worst, it summons these annoying overpowered flies who can 2 shot you if your health is not on the roof. Expand
  15. Mar 8, 2022
    This game is gorgeous, amazing combat, the ambient is super immersive and so is the music and the art and color, there is something special about this game the way the implemented metroidvania formula is really well done and user friendly the map even lets you know if you are missing stuff in a certain area which I think is something all games like this should have, a must buy.
  16. Jul 1, 2021
    This game is just perfect from the beginning to end.. how the difficulty begins to raise smoothly.. the choice of music in every scenario.. the story.. 100% recommended.
  17. Apr 30, 2022
    Music, story, art and gameplay are perfect. Makes you immerse yourself in the world. I in love with this game!
  18. Jul 22, 2021
    Solid Metroidvania. But I have to play without music. After 5 oder 10 loops (30 Minutes maybe) it starts to annoying me. Beside that it's negative to get the double jump after 20 minutes.
  19. Jan 4, 2022
    The one of greatest metroid in this world. I like it very much. Game of the 2021 year.
  20. Feb 1, 2022
    Спасибо разработчикам за эту удивительную игру. Она прекрасна, удобна, интересна, даёт умеренный челендж, чтобы игра не начала раздражать. Рекомендую всем.
  21. Jul 28, 2021
    Loved every minute of it. Great gameplay, beautiful music and amazing art. The map seems a little confusing at first but you get used to it. Congratulations to everyone involved in the making of this game!
  22. Oct 17, 2021
    For me is the one of the best metroidvania I played, it's true that is similar to hollow knight. the music is a masterpiece and in the final credits the music is so relaxing and ejoyjable
  23. Jul 26, 2021
    Nastały naprawdę dobre czasy dla fanów gier z segmentu „metroidvanii” i „soulsów”. Rynek regularnie wzbogaca się o co najmniej kilka interesujących pozycji, które mają zaciekawić graczy i zapewnić im spore wyzwanie. Tak też jest w przypadku dzieła Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights.

Akcja gry przenosi nas do Królestwa Końca, niegdyś pięknej krainy, która teraz jest wyniszczona przez śmiercionośny deszcz. To właśni w takich realiach budzi się młoda kapłanka Lily. Bohaterka cierpi na amnezję, nie pamiętając przeszłych wydarzeń, które doprowadziły do upadku Królestwa. Nie pozostaje jej więc nic innego jak tylko wyruszyć w niebezpieczną podróż, w celu odzyskania wspomnień i odkrycia źródła apokalipsy. Na jej drodze stanie wielu mieszkańców tego miejsca, którzy pod wpływem „deszczu” zamienili się w żądne krwi bestie. Tylko ona dzięki swoim zdolnością będzie mogła oczyścić ich dusze i pozwolić im zaznać wiecznego spokoju. Nie posiada ona jednak żadnych przydatnych w tych realiach zdolności bojowych. Jej „orężem” oraz przewodnikiem w całej wyprawie, staje się dusza „nieśmiertelnego rycerza”, która zadba o jej bezpieczeństwo.
    Fabularnie tytuł nie jest więc nadmiernie zaskakujący i twórcy sięgnęli po sprawdzone już schematy. Postawili oni na pewną scenariuszową prostotę, której zadaniem było stanie się idealnym uzupełnieniem samej rozgrywki. W przypadku tego tytułu sprawdza się to doskonale i naprawdę trudno jest tutaj doszukać się większych wad. Kolejne tajemnice świata i tragedii jego mieszkańców odkrywane są przed nami za pomocą znajdywanych materiałów pisanych. Są one na tyle szczegółowe, że całkiem dobrze budują opowieść, cały czas utrzymując jednak dużą dozę tajemniczości.

Tak jak zostało to już wspomniane, kierowana przez nas Lily nie posiada żadnych zdolności bojowych. W walce z pojawiającymi się przeciwnikami w początkowym etapie gry zastępują ją dusza rycerza. Potyczki opierają się na prostych zasadach hack n' slash. W momencie naciśnięcia konkretnego przycisku pojawia się jej duchowy towarzysz, zadając obrażenia wrogowi. Gracz w tym czasie cały czas steruje młodą kapłanką, nie pozwalając, aby odniosła ona obrażenia. Wraz z postępami w grze i pokonaniem kolejnych przeciwników/bossów, ilość jej duchowych „opiekunów” znacznie się zwiększa. Każdy z nich charakteryzuje się odmiennym stylem walki. Dodatkowo pozwalają oni zdobyć małej bohaterce nowe umiejętności (np. podwójny skok), które wykorzystywane są do dotarcia do wcześniej niedostępnych terenów mapy.

System walki opierający się na naciskaniu jednego przycisku może wydawać się dość prosty. Zapewniam jednak, że tak nie jest, a same potyczki są bardzo satysfakcjonujące. Wraz z większą ilością „duchowych wojowników” tytuł wręcz wymusza na graczu „kombinowanie”, łączenie konkretnych ataków i szukanie kombinacji najlepiej pasujących do konkretnego przeciwnika. Zdolności „wojowników” są naprawdę bardzo różne, od tych mocno ofensywnych po takie, które mogą wpływać na stan odnawiania zdrowia wroga. Należy więc wykorzystywać ich zalety, aby łatwiej pokonywać oponenta. Ilość możliwych do wykorzystania „dusz” jest ograniczona co dodatkowo wpływa na styl rozgrywki. Wojowników i ich zdolności można również „ulepszać” (w konkretnych miejscach na mapie), tym samym stając się coraz bardziej potężnym. Trzeba być jednak gotowym na dużą ilość zgonów. Gra bowiem nie wybacza najmniejszych błędów i wystarczą niekiedy dwa ataki podstawowego przeciwnika, aby trzeba było powtarzać zabawę od najbliższego miejsca zapisu. Tytuł jest piekielnie trudny i na pewno nie obejdzie się tutaj bez podniesionego ciśnienia i chęci pogryzienia pada. Jeśli ktoś lubi powtarzanie po kilkanaście/kilkadziesiąt razy walki z bossem i uczeniem się na pamięć jego ataków, to będzie grą zachwycony.

Mapa gry to gigantyczna ilość połączonych ze sobą lokacji, w których znaleźć można nie tylko kilka różnych przejść, ale również całą masę poukrywanych komnat, przełączników, obiektów które można zniszczyć czy rzeczy do podniesienia. Eksploracja i dosłownie „lizanie” każdego skrawka lokacji jest tutaj wręcz wskazana. Często dzięki temu zdobywamy materiały, które później można wykorzystać do „ulepszenia” zdolności duchowych wojowników. Jak na metroidvanię przystało, nie obejdzie się tutaj również bez powracania do odkrytych już wcześniej lokacji, aby dzięki zdobytym zdolnością dostać się do niedostępnych części mapy.

Cała recenzja na:

24. Jul 3, 2021
    Everything in Ender Lilies estimulate your senses. Art and animations are so fluid and atmospherics, love it. Combat is so satisfaying and flexible, love it too. Maybe the the most beautiful, fun and challenging game I ever played. Can't say a bad thing, even Hollow Knight seems now behind this joy. Mili shines in the OST, specially toward final sequences. Totally 10/10.
  25. Jul 7, 2021
    Perfect game! This is one of the best indie games of the year! Buy without fear
  26. Jul 26, 2021
    To be perfectly clear, the game itself is not bad. Movement is pretty intuitive, with none of the unlockable mobility upgrades feeling hard to use. Combat is satisfying, and offers enough room for personalization that each player can find their own methods. The map could use work, but I appreciate the clarity in communicating which rooms still have secrets to find.

Where Ender Lilies

Where Ender Lilies falls flat, in my opinion, is its presentation. People call it a mix of Hollow Knight and Dark Souls, but it felt more like a reheated meatloaf of the two. Tastes good, but lacks memorable charm. Storywise, I was interested at first, before I knew what was going on. But as I discovered the lore, it turned out to be a lot of reused concepts from its main inspirations. They were executed competently enough, but a copy is still a copy. It simply didn't feel as meaningful the second time around.

The bosses, with a few exceptions, are generic knights that fail to leave much of an impression. The flash of red that almost every attack in the game is preceded by hurts their memorability, since you spend less time actually examining foes and learning their animations than you do simply reacting to the color red with a quick dodge or parry.

Despite the plethora of unlockable attack abilities, called spirits, you won't wind up using most of them more than once. Since you need collectable resources to upgrade them, a player will naturally only want to stick to the ones they've upgraded even if they get a cool new one. On top of this, each change in spirit composition necessitates a period of relearning muscle memory. While I appreciate what they were going for with the system, it still ultimately harmed my experience.

The art style and environments look pretty, but in that generic soulslike gothic way that doesn't stand out. Even now, only a day after 100% completing it, I wouldn't be able to describe most of the locations in great detail. This is despite combing through the world several times to obtain every last optional item and scrap of lore.

As for the music... I was disappointed. I like MILI, so I was really looking forward to the OST. But even now, looking at the OST on its own, barely any of it actually stands out. I wouldn't be able to tell you when these songs actually play in the game, and most of the boss music seems to be going for the Dark Souls "Gwyn's Theme" vibe. That would be fine, if it wasn't EVERY SINGLE BOSS THEME. When all the music has the exact same feeling to it, no tracks really get a chance to stick in the mind.

Jumping back to the combat, a lot of the basic enemies are very uninspired. Throughout the entire game there are these slime things that just walk at you slowly and periodically leap forwards. Generic zombie archers shoot at you unerringly, only really a threat when one is busy with another enemy. The unique enemies for each area, meanwhile, almost all fall prey to the simple strategy of dodging into their body when red flashes and then hitting them. Repeat until dead. As I said earlier, if it weren't for the flashes of red it might be more interesting. But since the actual animations barely matter to learning their moves and timing they all end up feeling the same aside from how tanky and damaging they are.

For someone that wants an easier game in the genre, I would heartily recommend Ender Lilies. In fact, I think it's a great introduction to the genre. But, having played far more interesting titles with far more interesting stories and settings, I can't say I really enjoyed it. Oftentimes I'd find myself wishing I was playing Blasphemous or Hollow Knight instead.

If I were to rate this game more accurately, I would probably call it a 7.5/10. A fun way to spend your time, but not one that you'd keep coming back to.
  27. Sep 15, 2021
    El juego es simplemente increíble, sus escenarios son extraordinarios, sus enemigos variados, y en especial lo que más me encantó del juego, fue su banda sonora, es lo más increíble y hermoso que he escuchado, lo único negativo es que el juego es demasiado corto para ser un metroidvania, y además sus jefes tienen un patrón fácil de descifrar, pero el juego es 100% recomendable
    No dudes en
    No dudes en comprar este hermoso juego, te encantará si jugaste otros juegos similares
  28. Oct 17, 2021
    The game is very fun and engaging, Music is spot on and very alluring. It creates a distinct atmosphere to locations even if there's only a handful. Boss fights were average still they were very fun. The difficulty is balanced and adaptive to the strong gameplay.

Unironically, I like this more compared to Hollow knight (Hollow K. is still better technically, but there's something within EL that speaks for me more. A sweet 15-hour game that can entertain and convey a simple story. Very good indeed
  29. Nov 14, 2021
    What an incredible gem. A very good game with beautiful art and a beautiful soundtrack. If you're a fan of Metroidvania games, this is a must have.
  30. Apr 1, 2022
    I tried Ender Lilies on a whim and was continuously impressed by its gorgeous art direction, tense combat, haunting melodies, and well-realized world with a surprising amount of lore and characterization. Although hardly revolutionizing the "metroidvania" formula, Ender Lilies is incredible example of how engrossing storytelling, a wonderful soundtrack, and refined combat can elevate anI tried Ender Lilies on a whim and was continuously impressed by its gorgeous art direction, tense combat, haunting melodies, and well-realized world with a surprising amount of lore and characterization. Although hardly revolutionizing the "metroidvania" formula, Ender Lilies is incredible example of how engrossing storytelling, a wonderful soundtrack, and refined combat can elevate an otherwise derivative gameplay experience. This remains one of my favorite games to date. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 4, 2021
    Ender Lilies is an emotional sidescroller RPG with a well-told compelling story, beautiful music & art, and solid gameplay. Its hauntingly beautiful style and satisfying world more than makes up for some slight combat blemishes, leaving a lasting impression as one of the most remarkable games of its kind.
  2. CD-Action
    Sep 1, 2021
    Ender Lilies is one of the best metroidvanias of recent years. What immediately caught my attention was its unusual combat system based on summoning spirits that attack your enemies, but I also enjoyed the dark, oneiric and slightly melancholic atmosphere of this beautiful, varied world. Hunting down bosses, discovering shortcuts, and a checkpoint system that resembles Dark Souls’ bonfires give Ender Lilies a distinct soulslike aftertaste. [09/2021, p.64]
  3. Aug 30, 2021
    Ender Lilies is a game that might not have any revolutionary mechanics, but its graphics, music, battles, exploration and worldbuilding all contribute to an experience that has more polish than almost any other game in the action RPG genre. While the leap in difficulty near the end can definitely be overwhelming, the beautiful graphics and stellar presentation provide multiple fantastic moments and heart-pounding fights you won’t forget any time soon.