8.0

1. Sep 22, 2014
    I started the game up, and felt somewhat mixed. The opening cut-scene for my race was interesting, and a good length. The English in the quests and stories needs to get edited; there's a ton of mistakes. I minimized the game after about 30 minutes to get something to eat. I was walking back into my room when I noticed the best atmospheric music I've ever heard in a 4x game coming from myI started the game up, and felt somewhat mixed. The opening cut-scene for my race was interesting, and a good length. The English in the quests and stories needs to get edited; there's a ton of mistakes. I minimized the game after about 30 minutes to get something to eat. I was walking back into my room when I noticed the best atmospheric music I've ever heard in a 4x game coming from my speakers... seriously, the music is fantastic, and I'm not really an ambient guy.
    I hate tutorials, and I hate reading about a game before I play it, so I was expecting a rough time (although I'm a 4x vet). Surprisingly enough, there's a ton of quests to help you learn how to do things... some require you to make military units, some require you to build certain buildings, and some require you to produce a certain amount of production every turn. These quests taught me various things... such as producing different units, what buildings are good for what, and how to adjust your production / research values in the city.
    The way research is handled is quite refreshing... there's 6 different "ages" (think civ) with 4 categories of research . One is based around food / gold, another around production / science, another around exploration and happiness, and the last one around military. The game is handled in "ages"... but to advance to a new age, you don't need to go down every tree. You might completely ignore the military trees in the first age, and get them in the second or third one. You might go military early for expansion, then focus on military building later on. I especially loved this part of the game, because I dislike the linear tree in most games. I'm constantly experimenting with different research methods each time I start a game up.
    The tile system is somewhat similar to Civ, but it has FAR less RNG (thankfully). There's multiple types of ore to create weapons and armor with, so if you don't get one kind you can use another. Each kind is good, but specializes in a different area... one kind might give more defense, while another is lighter and gives more speed.
    The class system was somewhat disappointing... each empire is basically locked into one class. Luckily, you can build a mercenary camp VERY early (in the first age) and recruit heroes from other factions for gold, but you'll always be stuck with that first hero with the same class (unless you make a custom race). However, each class is unique and refreshing to play. I enjoyed all of them, which is unusual for me.
    Get out there and give these guys your money. I recommend the founder's pack, which is still for sale on steam... the game has a lot of heart, and it's obvious that these guys care about their player base.
  2. Sep 22, 2014
    Amazing 4X! Endless Legend has everything you may be looking for. Everything is great about the game. The UI, The Visuals, The Races, etc. Everything is beautifully crafted. At the beginning it'll seem hard to get along with the complicated UI (It was hard for me, maybe because this is the first 4X game of my life!) bur when you played it for a few turn you'll get used to it and you'llAmazing 4X! Endless Legend has everything you may be looking for. Everything is great about the game. The UI, The Visuals, The Races, etc. Everything is beautifully crafted. At the beginning it'll seem hard to get along with the complicated UI (It was hard for me, maybe because this is the first 4X game of my life!) bur when you played it for a few turn you'll get used to it and you'll find it way better than the mighty Civilization. EL is quite a comprehensive game and yet it's only 1.8 Gigabytes large and I strongly appreciate it. The 8 races of Auriga are detailed very well and you'll love them. Each race has an introduction video @ Amplitude Website. You may watch all of the videos before you choose your clan, it helps much. The Research Menu of EL is the most comprehensive one I've ever seen! It contains almost everything you may think of. Thanks to Amplitude there's an introduction mode in the game from which you can learn the basics of the EL. And about the soundtrack, I must say that FlybyNo has done a good job. EL soundtrack contains 32 tracks which are available @ Endless LegendAlbum. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2014
    Speaking as an avid fan of X4 and RPG style games. This ticks all the boxes. Visually the game is stunning, the art work and the 3D rendering is exceptional. Each and every major faction (of the eight) is different from one another, and this really changes the way you play, and interact with the other factions and the fictional world of Auriga. You can loose yourself in this game, itsSpeaking as an avid fan of X4 and RPG style games. This ticks all the boxes. Visually the game is stunning, the art work and the 3D rendering is exceptional. Each and every major faction (of the eight) is different from one another, and this really changes the way you play, and interact with the other factions and the fictional world of Auriga. You can loose yourself in this game, its refreshing, and a complete joy to play. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2014
    Endless Legend (EL) is a very ambitious simultaneously turn based new 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) strategy game in a fantasy setting by Amplitude studios (Endless Legend, Dungeon of the Endless). The general setting is unusual, as you're stranded on the planet Auriga that has been a favoured laboratory of a powerful precursor race, the Endless, until they erased themselvesEndless Legend (EL) is a very ambitious simultaneously turn based new 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) strategy game in a fantasy setting by Amplitude studios (Endless Legend, Dungeon of the Endless). The general setting is unusual, as you're stranded on the planet Auriga that has been a favoured laboratory of a powerful precursor race, the Endless, until they erased themselves from existence in a large civil war.
    Now, you take control of one out of 8 standard factions or any custom faction you create in an editor, using the basic gameplay of one of the 8 with some modifiers. Your goal is to survive as Auriga is slowly drifting towards an everlasting winter that will snuff out all life left on its surface. There are several victory conditions you can fulfill, ranging from "bucket"-type conditions like gathering enough currency or being the highest in score at a configurable turn limit to fulfilling a quest and building an expensive wonder, exterminating all concurrents or researching yourself to victory. Not all of these victory conditions are equally fun to reach as "filling a bucket" can be quite tedious, but the different factions are also specialised at reaching different victory conditions.
    And this is where EL is ambitious in the sense that its 8 factions are very asymmetrically designed:
    - The Wild Walkers are the not so usual Elves of the game, using woods to boost their industrial proficiency. They get to be the production powerhouse of the game.
    - The Vaulters are the survivors of the Dungeon of the Endless game, stranded on the planet. Hightech-dwarfs of a sort with heavy armor and the best science output.
    - The Rowing Clans are supposed to be the traders of the planet. They cannot declare war, are better than the NSA at finding out who's selling or buying what to a common marketplace you can get access to by research, and can actually even trade-ban people, bleeding them dry, economically.
    - The Drakken are the peacekeepers, a draconid race interested in achieving diplomatic victory by using their influence to force whole empires into peace or alliance with them.
    - The Ardent Mages can use spells on the map and in combat. Given enough currency, a weak army of them can still beat a superior foe with enough magic support fire.
    - The Necrophage do not do anything but feed, war and reproduce. Peace is not an option, as is not conquering. The Zergs of the planet, indeed.
    - The Broken Lords are living armors thinking of themselves as paladins and leeching life like vampires. Lorewise, one of my favourites, their gameplay is centered on currency to buy population with.
    - The Cultists of the Eternal End have only one city and expand by converting minor faction villages across the planet to generate troops for them and to harvest resources for them.

In general, this asymmetry is what makes the game nice, but it is also its vulnerability. As each faction plays differently, the AI also has to account for that. During the Early Access phase, the AI made huge jumps and has become a threat to the unwary at higher difficulty levels, now, but still fails in the endgame. It doesn't recognize that, given it is close to winning, the human player in the game will go to lengths to eradicate them. On the other hand, in the beginning, different AI personalities shine through. Around the Ardent Mages, there's always a lot of scorched earth destroyed minor faction villages, while Wild Walkers spread and pacify, instead. I'm quite confident that this will improve, further, but I rate what's present, now.
    Therefore I downright recommend to play this game in multiplayer. The simultaneous turns allow for fast games, compared to other titles. You can set turn timers and therefore force people to be fast, or give each and everyone as much time as they want, but a long game would last 4 hours, at most, on fast speed settings.
    Even there, though, the asymmetry of the game design has its dangers. You can equip your units with better and better equipment through the ages, having to use strategic resources on the map to get the very best, but there's a clear preference for some attributes being far better than others. Some units you gain by assimilating minor factions (you can then build their units and get some bonus per controlled village of that faction) are better than standard units and certainly better than most other units on the planet. I'm thinking of e.g. Kazanjii demons or Haunts of the Ended here, both having a chain hit special ability.
    One thing I have to add about the techtree: It is not linear, there's no clear progression. In each "era", you have to choose at least x technologies, then you progress to the next era. Each time you research something, the cost for the next research increases, no matter the era its out of.

Overall, the game has a lot of depth for someone who favours empire management over combat. There's still lots of balancing and AI-tuning to do, but the game is fun and I recommend it.
  5. Sep 22, 2014
    One of the most in-depth 4X game i have played in a long time and one which is such a unique blend so as to keep me engaged till 6AM in the morning on a workday for the first time in years. The game looks fantastic while not being really demanding (mostly because of the artsyle) and the music is absolutely amazing. Even the menu music from the first time you launch the game blows you away.One of the most in-depth 4X game i have played in a long time and one which is such a unique blend so as to keep me engaged till 6AM in the morning on a workday for the first time in years. The game looks fantastic while not being really demanding (mostly because of the artsyle) and the music is absolutely amazing. Even the menu music from the first time you launch the game blows you away. The tutorial explains most of the stuff and makes sure you are not overwhelmed by the plethora of options while still leaving away enough for you to discover.

10/10, completely ruined my excitement for Civ:BE
  6. Sep 20, 2014
    The team of Amplitude got my attention with Endless Space and with the innovative way they are developing their games (aka Games2Gether, a great crowdsourcing initiative).

Now they deliver a fresh take on the 4X genre, the scifi/fantasy setting works very well. The GUI is at its best (and I am rather critical on that aspect, having a long experience of GUI modding in several other games). The visuals are really cool (from artworks, to the table top like procedural map). The asymetric factions offer 'endless' replayability (and are really something different from any other strategy games)...

This is why this game deserves the best score I can give!

If you like grand strategy games, give Endless Legend a try, you won't be disapointed! And the price tag is really low compared to any other new games of that level of quality !
  7. Sep 18, 2014
    I have played turn based strategy games for the last 25 year and I have been a play tester for several of the old great games (for example Civ4). I will be very upfront in why I rate Endless Legend (EL) so high (9/10) is because of the new ideas and its potential, not because it is flawless.

What I like about Endless Legend is that they have made innovations in the genre. The combat system is a good example of this, it allows semi real time combat at your own pace during your turn. This creates a tactical battles while allowing the turn based part of the game not to suffer and the pace of the game is still good. The world of Auriga and the world generator is also top notch. The map itself looks like a board game map and the region system creates interesting mechanisms for example with quests. The artwork is beautiful and reminds me of old role-playing book artwork of monsters.

The balance of the game is not yet perfect, but very much playable. The AI hopefully can become even better and finally the multiplayer out of syncs needs to be fixed. I also wish for much more features, for example team game and setting positions in multiplayer and better victory conditions and solving the age old question of how to make the game fun even for players loosing the victory race. In a sense the victory condition thus could use some work.

Finally the developer has a history of continuing developing the game and releasing free content so in time this game can become even greater. I have not influenced my score based on this merit but I think it should be mentioned.

I think any fan of the turn based strategy genre should avail of the opportunity to play Endless Legend as it brings a lot of fresh ideas to the table and could keep your spark and interest for turn based games alive.
  8. Sep 19, 2014
    Endless Legend is one of the 4x-Games that make a big step Forward. Actual and beautiful graphics, nice Soundtrack, unseen Features and a lot of fun. A must have for EVERY 4x/Fantasy-Gamer.
  9. Sep 19, 2014
    Endless Legend is, without doubt, one of the deepest and most inspired 4x turn based fantasy games I have had the pleasure of playing. It has that "one more turn" addiction that'll keep you going way past midnight. It is gleefully complex (city building has never been this interesting) while retaining all the usual 4x tenants you've come to expect. The playable factions all feel inspiredEndless Legend is, without doubt, one of the deepest and most inspired 4x turn based fantasy games I have had the pleasure of playing. It has that "one more turn" addiction that'll keep you going way past midnight. It is gleefully complex (city building has never been this interesting) while retaining all the usual 4x tenants you've come to expect. The playable factions all feel inspired (not just reskins) and the minor factions you encounter in the world actually matter.

One word of caution: Make sure you fire up the tutorial. Or else you won't know what you're doing.
  10. Sep 22, 2014
    Truly best 4X strategy I ever played. Better than CIV in any case, except Endless Legend have lack of content. But, only in comparison Endless Legend with GOLD version of Civilization. Wait for Endless Legend Gold and you'll see best 4X strategy game ever. Thank you, Amplitude!
  11. Sep 18, 2014
    I've played about 3 hours of the game and all I can say is: Wonderful! It's innovative, fresh, deep an much more. It's like CIV with more RPG Elements and Fantasy.
    I love it!
  12. Sep 18, 2014
    I was looking for a worthy successor of Master of Magic. It is all that and more: 4X empire management, RPG layer, deep universe and lore, and the factions are so diverse that it promises hours of fun. I took part to the Early Access and did not regret it. Big thumbs up!
  13. Sep 18, 2014
    Endless Legend provides a very refreshing take on the 4X genre with charismatic and unique factions, with each their own storyline and quests which dramatically increases the game's replayability. It promises countless hours of fun and delivers. The game mechanics are skillfully crafted and the art is also wonderful!
  14. Sep 18, 2014
    Endless Legend is a new twist on traditional fantasy themed 4xs. It has some traditional and many new races, each with its own unique twist. Each major faction throughout the game, follows a compelling interactive questline which is followed throughout each game. The game has a rich lore, linking this game with Amplitude's other games, Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless. The lore,Endless Legend is a new twist on traditional fantasy themed 4xs. It has some traditional and many new races, each with its own unique twist. Each major faction throughout the game, follows a compelling interactive questline which is followed throughout each game. The game has a rich lore, linking this game with Amplitude's other games, Endless Space and Dungeon of the Endless. The lore, coupled with the refreshing mechanics, and all of the effort Amplitude has put into this game make this a fantastic game. Expand
  15. Sep 18, 2014
    I highly recommend Endless Legend. The gameplay is fun, the graphics are gorgeous, and the mechanics are surprisingly innovative.

The game offers several new variations on the traditional 4x formula. Instead of building a city anywhere, the player can build only one city per region, which means initial placement of cities is especially important. Instead of limiting cities to a certain size on the strategic map, as in Civ, this game allows one to expand the physical boundaries of cities. Fallen Enchantress had a similar feature, but it's better-implemented here; it's very satisfying to expand one's "boroughs" and watch one's city grow across the map.

Endless Legend has an unusual tech design, too; instead of following one tree, the player has some freedom to skip techs to progress from one age to the next, which promises more replayability.

And the game has an interesting tactical combat system, too. The player gives one set of orders at turn start, but those orders may or may not be followed, because the game processes the turn in "initiative" order, meaning that your slower troops may have obsolete orders once it's their turn to move.

Endless Legend also features a stronger AI than its predecessor, Endless Space. That said, it's not realistic to expect Deep Blue in this genre; the map and battlefields are too complex for a chess-like AI But for me, at least, the AI gives me a good game.

Overall, I highly recommend this game.
  16. Sep 19, 2014
    EL is new and fresh X4 strategy game, as veteran of x4 games like AOW3,heroes 1-6,FE:LH,walock1-2 and more i can say there is enough depth and customization to play long period of time, graphics, sound and UI are the best you find in this type of games.
  17. Sep 18, 2014
    Short and sweet, Endless Legend is one hell of a Fantasy 4x full of win and does not disappoint. I would recommend it to anyone into the Strategy/4X Genre in a heartbeat. This is launch is just the tip of the iceberg, lots more content to come and A+ support from the Dev team behind this masterpiece will keep me hooked on this game for a long, long time.
  18. Sep 18, 2014
    Endless legend has come a long way since the early access release, with thousands of bug fixes, AI improvements, balance changes, new factions, and gameplay tweaking. The end product is a beautifully produced 4X game, with some really cool innovations. Customizable factions, customizable units, hero skill trees, and an open ended tech tree to name a few. I've been a big fan of the CivEndless legend has come a long way since the early access release, with thousands of bug fixes, AI improvements, balance changes, new factions, and gameplay tweaking. The end product is a beautifully produced 4X game, with some really cool innovations. Customizable factions, customizable units, hero skill trees, and an open ended tech tree to name a few. I've been a big fan of the Civ games for a long time, and I can honestly say this game gives that series a good run for its money. Having a lot of fun with it Expand
  19. DMT
    Sep 18, 2014
    After loving Endless Space I am loving the lore on Auriga!! :) Amplitude really have made a much bigger game now and if they support it and add so much FREE DLC like they did to flavour and expand Endless Space then this could be a classic! Civ BE look out!!
  20. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a very well made game.I bought early access and loved it then.Some new ideas in a solid 4x game.And the devs are all over the feedback from players.Answering questions ect. in the forums,and changing things for the better. There are some very good play throughs on youtube to judge for yourself.I give it a 9/10. I have been playing 4x games since civ 1.
  21. Sep 23, 2014
    Lots of positive well deserved comments have already been made. I just want to focus on the art: stunning visuals, beautiful soundtrack. Exquisite as the honey of the Endless. Who are their Muses?
  22. Sep 21, 2014
    This game is full of new immersive game play concepts that breath new life into 4X Fantasy genre. I can't understand why anyone who is a fan of this genre would give this anything other than a nine or a ten. That it was made by a small indie development team makes it all the more impressive.

It features a stream-lined province management system that makes managing huge empires easy and avoids the late game tedium that usually plagues this genre. It does this without sacrificing any depth like Civ V did.

The turn based 'phased' combat system is so intuitive and is such an improvement when compared to other games in the genre that you will wonder why it hasn't been done before.

The factions are extremely well done and they all play completely differently. The artwork, graphic design and lore create real atmosphere that really transports you to a fully formed new fantasy universe.

I know I'm absolutely gushing about this game but I have been looking for something like this for a long time... and games like Fallen Enchantress, World of Magic and Age of Wonders III were extremely disappointing for me. They weren't games that pushed the 4X genre forward in new interesting directions.

If you if you love this genre and you have been waiting for a new game that has a formula that makes you stay up all night saying 'one more turn' then this is the game for you. I can't understand why someone would give it a bad review except that they probably aren't dedicated strategy gamers. Perhaps, they didn't play through the tutorial to get a grasp on all the new game concepts that Endless Legend brings to the table.
  23. Sep 18, 2014
    Endless Legend is a fresh take on the "4X" genre with original (yet familiar) factions, beautiful graphics and great game play. Highly recommended to turn-based strategy fans who are looking to lose 100s of hours in a fantasy setting.
  24. Sep 18, 2014
    Finally a new 4X that reinvents the wheel! Hexagonal Board which oozes life at every corner. Graphics are very convincing although the board becomes a bit hectic / complex when you max your cities out and throngs of units stroll down the plains and mountains.
    To be honest, I always cut the ambient music when I geek around Strategy games. Well not this time around as the music takes you to this not-so-peaceful Auriga planet.

In terms of Gameplay, I had loved Endless Space but felt a bit lonely in all this vacuum. + ship design I felt was a bit cumbersome and fake. Well, this one is just a home run as I love fine-tuning my units to the core.

Students: the shortest route to making yourself a drop-out is getting your hands on this game. Same with you people in a relationships wanting for to take some time for yourself.
  25. Sep 21, 2014
    Wonderfully designed 4x turn based civ like game.

It does almost everything right. It has clever 1_city per region mechanic, which prevents city spam. It has adequate expansion rush drawbacks. You can’t build and research everything, you have to make decisions. And the quest and hero mechanics are also well done. The only (but quite huge) drawback the game has is AI. It’s simply bad,
    Wonderfully designed 4x turn based civ like game.

The only (but quite huge) drawback the game has is AI. It’s simply bad, I've finished my second game run (I stared with one race, played for two hours, then decided to restart with another race) on impossible difficulty (2nd most difficult) and I wasn’t even challenged. I’m afraid this issue will not be fixed, the game is too complex for dev’s to make competent AI. It’s quite an indie title, and even Civ 5 dev’s couldn’t handle AI. They can scale up AI bonuses, to make it cheat, but that’s not really a solution.

26. Oct 5, 2015
    Overrated.
    *It's nearly impossible to distinguish city improvements and units from all the debris all over every tile.
    *Manual battles are painfully slow with no option to speed it up unless you set it on auto-resolve. *The game overall feels very sluggish and dull. I often found myself clicking "End Turn" over and over and over again as I waited for a unit to build/heal or slowly walk
    Overrated.
    *The game overall feels very sluggish and dull. I often found myself clicking "End Turn" over and over and over again as I waited for a unit to build/heal or slowly walk from on place to another. The sense of adventure and discovery that I love in games like Galactic Civ III or Civ V or HoMM is just missing from this game.
  27. Sep 24, 2014
    A very interesting take on the 4X genre. It seems that good old 4X is making a comeback right alongside Isometric RPGs. Amplitude has manged to make a deep and thoughtful strategy game. But it does lack proper information in game, which may confuse some newcomers. But if you are willing to tinker around and lose some hours, there is much fun to be had with this solid title.

Combat is a

Combat is a turn-based hybrid where you assign commands and then watch them unfold when you launch your turn. The units move in initiative order, thus the turn-based hybrid.

If you like 4X, this is worth your time. Go buy it, you know you want to.
  28. Sep 20, 2014
    Endless Legend feels not like a raw strategy, but a bit like a tale. It so awesome to explore this new unique world at first time!
    I score not a 10/10 only because I know what else I want in this game:
    I want cities to upgrade visually during the game, and I want my marines to have a miniguns at the end!
  29. Sep 24, 2014
    Отличная игра! Герои Меча и Магии без мечей и магии, но с наукой и техникой. Мир (некогда галактика Endless Space) рухнул, и мы поднимаемся с нуля на обломках некогда великих цивилизаций на одной планете.

Планета поделена на регионы. Один регион - один город. Все ресурсы с региона доступны дял улучшения из города. Каждый город производит пыль (местный аналог денег), еду, производство, науку и очки влияния. Карта из шестиугольников и у каждого шестиугольника разная высота, что вносит разнообразие в геймпей. По ходу игры будут квесты, прокачка юнитов в армиях и героев - для них есть полноценное дерево прокачки, т.е. из героя можно либо сделать (и назначить) крутого губернатора для города с огромным бонусом к росту города или производству, либо сделать крутым войном-генералом для армии).

Бои между армиями происходят почти так-же, как в Героях меча и магии/King's Bounty, но могут происходить и в авторежиме, с выбором желаемой тактики(атака, защита, отступление).

В игре присутствует конструктор юнитов. Т.е. после открытия новых технологий брони или оружия, различные классы войнов можно и нужно вручную их вооружить всем этим.

Графика и музыка завораживают, хотя в этой игре это не галвное. А главное, что геймплей отличный. Но к сожалению это ещё только альфа-версия, и есть маленькие баги, но вроде как всё уже играбельно. Посмотрим, что еще сделают, а пока - мир еще не знает моей цивилизации, пожелайте удачи в его завоевании (:

В итоге эта 4-х стратегия очень похожа на Цивилизацию 5, на Героев меча и магии и на Endless Space и, если вы фанаты какой-либо из этих серий, вам она вполне может очень понравиться.
  30. Sep 24, 2014
    Amazing 4X TBS game! I'm a big fan of TBS games, and this one really shines. Everything is so neatly polished, with incredible details. Combat is a bit slow, but can be auto-resolved. Unit design is superb, best since Alpha Centauri. I love the storytelling per faction, and other role-playing elements like the faction quests and side-quests. The hero-aspect could still be something to workAmazing 4X TBS game! I'm a big fan of TBS games, and this one really shines. Everything is so neatly polished, with incredible details. Combat is a bit slow, but can be auto-resolved. Unit design is superb, best since Alpha Centauri. I love the storytelling per faction, and other role-playing elements like the faction quests and side-quests. The hero-aspect could still be something to work on, with separate hero quests or something.
    A must play if you like Civilization type games.
  31. Oct 21, 2014
    I've been a 4X fan since Alpha Centauri originally came out and I've played every Civ game since III. Currently Endless Legend is my new favorite 4X game! While not perfect, Amplitude is doing many things right here and breaking some new ground without straying too far from the 4X roots.

I played their first game Endless Space and enjoyed it a lot, but found it somewhat lacking in a way I can't describe. I guess it felt kind of dull. I feel like Endless Legend is an evolution of all of the good ideas they came up with from Endless Space and is the 4X game I've been waiting for.

Gameplay wise if you've played Civ 5 you probably know the basics of what is going on here. Found a Civilization, explore, meet new city-states and cultures, grow your empire, crush your enemies, etc. While this could easily just be another Civ knockoff Amplitude does a lot to both improve the Civilization experience, and make their own game.

Here are some of the coolest features I found:
    -The notifications: seriously, every 4X game should steal this idea because the way Amplitude implements notifications makes playing something like Civ with it's silly action bubbles seem like playing in the stone age of games.
    -The Quests: the ruins and questing system is seriously cool. This adds a whole new element to the genre that make each game feel unique. While not quite "emergent storytelling" they do a lot to help you build your own story which is impressive in a 4X game.
    -The equipment loadouts: loot loot loot!
    -The world & Races: I really like how a lot of the races differ from the standard Tolkien staples. I also really liked how each race played very differently. Normally things like race in a 4X game gives you slightly different units or maybe steers you towards favoring one path over another, but here the racial choice really matters. Some of the races play a radically different game which I really like.
    -The lack of perfect balancing: Amplitude has come out and said that they're never going to perfectly balance the game in order to encourage experimentation. This seriously fills my heart with joy. I'm an atypical 4X player, I prefer diversity and extermination in my play instead of perfecting a singular strategy. The way the game is balanced this is actually encouraged and I love it

Overall if you don't like 4X games Endless Legend is not going to change your mind, but if you're even a casual 4X player I highly recommend you check this out.
  32. Oct 15, 2014
    Very good '4X' game with some really nice features. Only downsides for me are the speed (it can be quite slow) and the limited choice in initial units in relation to other games in the genre. This is however fitting to the game setting and pace. The addition of Heroes and equipment of both heroes and units is a very nice feature and is worked out fairly balanced, where is takesVery good '4X' game with some really nice features. Only downsides for me are the speed (it can be quite slow) and the limited choice in initial units in relation to other games in the genre. This is however fitting to the game setting and pace. The addition of Heroes and equipment of both heroes and units is a very nice feature and is worked out fairly balanced, where is takes consideration to make your units stronger, at the cost of more time to produce and more cost in general.

The factions are very different and must be played completely different. For instance, the Broken Lords don't need food to maintain their ranks and cities, but everything costs more Dust (the 'money' in E.L.) . This, plus very different world settings and lay-outs, make the replayability very high and fun to do. With most 4X games, playing with different factions only means alittle bit of difference in units, but in E.L. the abilities, strengths, weaknesses and sometimes way bigger characteristics make a very big difference.

Very stable game with lot of variety, it only can take some time to fully get used to the mechanics. But if you have played a couple 4X games before, you have no problem playing it after the short tutorial.
  33. Sep 30, 2014
    An initially frustrating game that moves at a glacial pace, this one will grow on you if you invest enough time into becoming conversant with its offbeat approach to the fantasy 4x field. Even though I've recently purchased Warlock 2 and Age of Wonders 3, this one has enough of a unique approach to escape feeling like a redundant purchase. The faction lore and custom quest/storylines are aAn initially frustrating game that moves at a glacial pace, this one will grow on you if you invest enough time into becoming conversant with its offbeat approach to the fantasy 4x field. Even though I've recently purchased Warlock 2 and Age of Wonders 3, this one has enough of a unique approach to escape feeling like a redundant purchase. The faction lore and custom quest/storylines are a engaging and fresh (a sci-fi tinged fantasy world with an apocalyptic past that is slowly catching up with it) and although I wasn't initially thrilled with the hands-off "tactical" combat system, it's grown on me and feels more akin to being a field commander who occasionally grimaces when their underlings pull a bone-headed move.

My only REAL beef with the game is that the incredibly slow pace of things can put you many, many hours into a scenario before you realize that you are hopelessly outclassed and that it's time to kill the current game and try again. But even so, I have deliberately played out a doomed game that I had no chance of winning simply because I felt invested enough in the world of my tiny, digital people and wanted to see more of their struggles play out.
  34. Dec 6, 2016
    This was one of the harder games to review. For the most part, the game looks fine, is well polished, and stable by the time I got a copy last year. But for whatever reason, I get extremely bored of this game by around turn 100 (mid-game) and I never have the urge to play more than 1 game before putting it away. I have finished a grand total of two normal sized games at normal speed and IThis was one of the harder games to review. For the most part, the game looks fine, is well polished, and stable by the time I got a copy last year. But for whatever reason, I get extremely bored of this game by around turn 100 (mid-game) and I never have the urge to play more than 1 game before putting it away. I have finished a grand total of two normal sized games at normal speed and I have owned this game for about 2 years now...

I really cant put my finger on the problem. I love 4x games and I love seeing RPG elements in said games. I played Fallen Enchantress, GalCiv2, Civ4, etc for weeks on end happily but this one just bores me every time. Perhaps its the combat.

For one thing, in my experience, there is little to no variety to combat making it boring. Sure there are plenty of units but they all 'feel' the same within their class type. The units are either ranged, melee, or mounted melee. Sometimes, a unit can heal which is useful but that is about the only special ability any unit has otherwise all the melee units are basically the same and even if they have variation in stats, the bonuses provided by items and heroes stomp all over the stats making all units of the same class pretty much the same around mid game.

Then there is the lack of tactics. I played my last game on one of the harder difficulties and didnt see any differences in tactics. AI tactics can be summed like this; The AI just dives head long into a fight without caring about the safety of thier own units and without working together. I mean... even a complete idiot knows that the best tactic most of the time is to concentrate fire on one enemy (especially weak ones when in range). But the AI never does that. It almost seems random as to who they attack and many times they move around for no reason. The AI is very easy to defeat if you simply use the environment to create combat tunnels that limits their advance. By doing so your ranged units stay safe along with healers and the AI can only attack with 2-3 melee units at once, since the others are stuck behind the front line. In my last game, I took out somewhere between 15 and 20 enemy units with just 4 units (and my hero) and I didnt lose a singe one.

Then you have the problem with the AI on your own side. Since the AI is so bad and does illogical things, I basically had to stop using it. I fought every battle with 'dont move' command because if you put them in any other mode they will do extremely dumb things. So every battle ended up being exactly the same. Stay put, set up a line in a narrow area, let the enemy come to you and whittle them down... there was no choice because if you tried anything else you will lose units and likely lose due to bad decisions.... now that I think about it, this is probably the biggest problem with the game. Combat was not good. Also, units dont always do what you tell them to do which is frustrating. Many times, my units stood there during a round (especially my heroes) and did nothing even though his target was right beside him/her and they never got attacked during the round... why they did that, I have no clue so after a while stopped trying to guide their action. I just kept them stationary and let the AI auto-attack. Obviously it didnt prevent me from winning (thanks to healers who actually did what they were told to do) but it added to frustration and made fights much longer than they needed to be.

Another issue is heroes... although there are many, it didnt feel like there was enough variety. Pretty much all heroes of a certain faction were almost exactly the same with the exception to one part of their skill tree and a few starting perks. However, the one variable tree was the same across all heroes of the same class type (range, melee or mounted) so again, they were very similar. On top of that, the item selection was sparse and I really wish that the quests mattered after you reach mid game because at that point the rewards for quests and exploration were laughable and I never did finish any main quests because there was no point since I was already steamrolling the AI by then.

Anyway, the game is really not horrible but I cant say it is great. The city building is actually ok and this game handles mid-game expansion fairly well (unlike Stellaris). One problem with cities (if there are any) is that they all end up being the same (or similar) once completely built minus a few unique structures. They might specialize early on by once everything is built they are all just the same and only your allocation of workers changes anything.

Anyway, I would say give this one a shot if you see it on sale. I know other folks liked it more than me so you might be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately I was not.
  35. Jun 12, 2016
    Playing a match alone in an empty map would feel exactly as playing against the AI, as it is brain-dead and completely unable to understand the basic strategies the game requires.It's not a bad AI, it's far worse: it's insufficient.
    IF you are buying this game you are doing it for getting into some multi-player matches.
    There is definitely some fun to be had there: be ready for 3-6 hours
    There is definitely some fun to be had there: be ready for 3-6 hours games at minimum.
    The randomness of the quest,events and starting positions(which are not always fair despite the many map generation options) make the game more "fun" than balanced; factions are nice,original and very different from each other, to the point that they it's clear to everyone who reads them that they couldn't be well balanced against each other.You can create custom factions choosing from several traits.

Making two armies fight will bring you and your opponent to a relatively quick and simple turn based combat where units are disposed in an "hex grid" and you can move each of them and attack. I wouldn't call it great, but it's above average for the genre.The game does a decent job at limiting the number of units you will have to control one by one lategame by grouping them into armies, having multiple armies join the same fight and having many units die in one single fight.You can equip each unit with different pieces of gear and there is some strategy in it!Hero units fight along normal units as well as providing bonuses to them.

Wide empires ( many medium-small cities rather than few big ones) are strongly encouraged.
    You can lose cities way faster than you can move units the very same turn someone declared war to you: you need to constantly look at the enemy military score graph and scout ahead, which is costly.
    All players play during the same turn and "first clicking" is a big factor in this game. .
  36. Sep 24, 2014
    I finally pulled myself off of this game to come tell others that they should buy it.

Easily a 9/10 and if they upgrade the AI a little bit and add ship combat and espionage, it will be the best fantasy 4X of all time and one of the best 4X of all time, period.
  37. Oct 5, 2014
    Endless Legend is at its core a reskin of Endless Space: the game is a prequel of sort, has basically the same mechanics and it's based on quirky interesting factions. This is of course not a bad thing per se, what Endless Legend lacks in originality it makes up with solid gameplay, faction uniqueness and gorgeous graphics. The game talks about the dying planet of Auriga and the struggleEndless Legend is at its core a reskin of Endless Space: the game is a prequel of sort, has basically the same mechanics and it's based on quirky interesting factions. This is of course not a bad thing per se, what Endless Legend lacks in originality it makes up with solid gameplay, faction uniqueness and gorgeous graphics. The game talks about the dying planet of Auriga and the struggle of various empires for domination and a way to leave said planet. In fact you have a thousand years or so to complete your journey.

Endless Legend is "fantasy", but its lore is firmly set in the Endless Space universe, so in reality we are talking about "sci-fi" dressed as "fantasy".

Every faction has its own rules: i.e. the Vaulters favour research and have unique technologies, while the Broken Lords don't need food and can only increase their own population by spending Dust, and so on. This makes every playthrough radically different from the other, so you are forced to learn new strategies and need a different approach to similar problems.

The graphics are simply gorgeous, nothing groundbreaking, but everything is detailed and there is an awesome amount of polishing in every art asset: from the design of units to the static illustrations. The map is full of details and beauty, but also astonishing in its clarity.

As for the game itself, well it's your typical 4X strategy game; if you have played Endless Space you'll become familiar soon yet there are some differences that are worthy exploring. The most evident is that Auriga's map is divided in regions and for every one of those only one great city can be built; so it is vital to chose the right ones for colonization and to acquire the resources you need. Building units and structures is similar to your typical 4X game, but you can also build "boroughs" to expand a city resource production (and territory claimed) or mining villages to acquire special resources.

Battles can be fought in an automated manner or over an exagonal grid based of the region you are fighing in. Always choose the latter solution as sometimes you can have staggering losses even when you have a clear advantage over your enemy.

Another interesting take is that you will encounter minor factions that resemble your typical fantasy monsters like dwarves, orks, demons and so one. They work in a manner akin to the "city states" system seen in Civilization 5. You can (and you should) "pacify" those minor factions which lives in your regions and assimilate them in your culture, this way you can get a bonus depending on the faction and you can build unique units.

As for the game problems, well... it's painfully slow. Everything takes a HUGE amount of turns to build even if your entire production is well optimized; so a victory becomes a matter of patience. Moreover I got the impression that the AI has some kind of production boost when building units; that to me is a sign of a "cheap" enemy, but nothing serious and with the right strategy you can easily win (while something similar in Europa Universalis 2 was kinda game-breaking).

But aside those minor problem EL reveals itself as a solid and fun experience, it's fascinating and charming, and a game that will easily drain hundreds of hours.
  38. Oct 6, 2014
    This is a very interesting strategy game that has some nice new ideas, such as a nice hero and item system, a quest system and many strategical choices. However, this game should be played with friends. The AI is VERY weak. I've played against 6 AIs on the highest "Impossible" difficulty level and they didn't pose any kind of threat. They simply have no military power whatsoever. I couldThis is a very interesting strategy game that has some nice new ideas, such as a nice hero and item system, a quest system and many strategical choices. However, this game should be played with friends. The AI is VERY weak. I've played against 6 AIs on the highest "Impossible" difficulty level and they didn't pose any kind of threat. They simply have no military power whatsoever. I could declare war to three factions at once and prevail. The "neutral" armies are a much bigger problem than the AI "players". Also the combat in the game is rather "schematic" and unpolished. So I carry all fights in "automatic mode" because it saves time. Expand
  39. Sep 29, 2014
    Great game from a great company. I’ve played many Civ-ly games and in my opinion this game is in a (better) league of its own. Other reviews rightfully bring up some criticism such as balance and AI, which are components that in my opinion still way within the range of being playable, but will definitely be fixed in coming patches, as Amplitude is one of the most active andGreat game from a great company. I’ve played many Civ-ly games and in my opinion this game is in a (better) league of its own. Other reviews rightfully bring up some criticism such as balance and AI, which are components that in my opinion still way within the range of being playable, but will definitely be fixed in coming patches, as Amplitude is one of the most active and community-engaging companies. The foundation is set, and it is delightful. Other reviewers that expect perfect games from the initial release should realize that this is no longer the industry standard and they are living in nostalgia-land. The music and art are beautiful. The differentiation between the races is quite original and adds to the replay value. The game’s simultaneous turn system lends itself to multiplayer games taking hours not days, even for large games. The battle system, though not perfect and will likely see some tweaks in future patches, is inventive and lends itself to tactics not possible to other titles in the genre. The plethora of systems available to this game at launch makes it (not necessarily easy to learn, but definitely) a challenge to master. Such systems include: customizable heroes, a resource marketplace, changing seasons, battle reinforcements, minor faction assimilation, quests, unit equipment, battle spells, trade routes, consumable luxury resources, etc...

On a final technical note, from a mac perspective this game runs smoothly for large games at high graphics settings, whereas comparably for civ 5, similarly sized games slowed to a crawl for even simple tasks like map scrolling on anything but the ugliest setting. Being that the upcoming Civ:BE is more or less a new facade using the same game engine, I expect it to be the same, i.e. nigh unplayable.
  40. Sep 24, 2014
    I have the same blast with this game as i had with CIV 5 years ago and also last year with BNW
    But this game fits my taste even better cause of the deeper customization of my Units with items and leveling.
    And the Quest and Storylines.
    For me this is a CIV 5 with better Unit/Combat System and a very beautiful world.
    And this game can only get better and better in time , its just released.
  41. Oct 27, 2014
    Something refreshing and aesthetically exotic, with a lot of factors to consider. Good brain workout. I just hope the multiplayer community will thrive, because i enjoy playing this with other players too.
  42. Oct 28, 2014
    Easily the most beautiful game map in a civ like game. Combat is great for multiplayer as it is semi-automatic but less interesting single player. The civs are really different from each other which is great. If you liked endless space you will like this. But if you like games like the HoMM series then Age of Wonders 3 is a better choice.
  43. Oct 24, 2014
    Great game with wonderful graphics thoughtful development,which cannot be said about the new civilization in space...
    The game has an interesting story-each of their civilization,which is quite unusual for a step-by-step game. During the passage of the jobs you'll learn more about their civilization, trying to save her from disaster. The game also implemented the climate system, the climate of the planet is deteriorating, winter becomes longer, the production falls,if you do not find solutions - all shall perish. Also I really liked the music of this game, it allows you to experience this new world,with all its pain and joy. Definitely center to purchase.
  44. Oct 4, 2014
    With a great improvement on the combat system from the previous game (Endless Space) yet managing to keep all the decent setting of this genre, Endless Legend is a game so addictive to those who enjoy a 4X experience or turn-based strategy combat with a diversity of factions, units, equipments and play styles.

Coated with delicate art style, the graphic itself is gorgeous; the semi real

Coated with delicate art style, the graphic itself is gorgeous; the semi real time gameplay works seamlessly between battle and exploration, the main quest for every faction which they put some decent work in narrative storyline makes the game more intriguing, and those newly added loots from relics over the map remind me of some classic games.

I just can't help but beat all factions with impossible AI difficulty...well, the "endless" one is a bit challenging, but with the turn-based battle one may be able to exploit the weakness of AI thus get less frustration from them ,which was not an option in Endless Space.

Overall a brilliant, addictive and worth replay 4X game.
  45. Sep 29, 2014
    Endless Legend is the first game to successfully put an RPG inside Civ. Picking up where Elemental: Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes failed, it's crowning achievement is providing a direction for this 4x sub-genre and a benchmark for quality that will prove as a compass for titles to come.

Hierarchy of information suffers in the effort of maintaining streamlined UI. As a result important information and game mechanics are squirreled away next to minutia and can be overlooked or is cumbersome to routinely access.

Overall, it is an excellent game with organizational issues.
  46. Sep 29, 2014
    Endless Legend has soul, it's a work of art. I've played every hex strategy game since Civ, the original, and none other than Alpha Centauri have pulled me in like this one. So many brilliant design decisions and innovations, such great story, writing, music and illustrations.

Every game I've played in the last decade could learn from looking at this game and thinking about how their work shapes up terms of concept, design and execution. I was a professional game reviewer and this generation seems to need some experience to recognise a truly great single player game.

My first 10/10 in a decade.
  47. Sep 22, 2014
  48. Sep 27, 2014
    Pros-
    The hero system is pretty fun.
    The way you combine units to form armies make turns go a lot faster than moving 10 units in civ. The factions are all extremely unique. Easily customize factions Lots of research options. quests keep the early turns entertaining Cons Combat, while it gives the option to play out battles, is actually much simpler than it should be. The only
    Pros-
    The hero system is pretty fun.
    The factions are all extremely unique.
    Easily customize factions
    Lots of research options.
    quests keep the early turns entertaining

Cons
    Combat, while it gives the option to play out battles, is actually much simpler than it should be. The only advantageous position is if a surrounding space is uncrossable. Oddly enough, even if a tile is occupied by a city, the enemy can simply walk on it during battle.
    No scenarios.
    Balance is a bit questionable.
    Sounds and looks a lot more complicated than it really is.

Great game for fans of the genre or for new players.
  49. Nov 28, 2014
    Endless Legend is what I thought I was buying when I got Civilization: Beyond Earth. It's a great 4X game with a lot of evident work put in. The factions are very different and dramatically change your playstyles and priorities to a point that a playthrough as the "Broken Lords" is entirely different from a playthrough as the "Roving Clans".

Your units and heroes are customizable though

Your units and heroes are customizable though you are limited by your faction to certain types... with that said you can also conquer other minor factions, absorb them, then customize their units to fill any gaps in your armies. There are several different minor factions too so it feels pretty well filled out.

You expand your cities by building them out.. so it's a pretty neat system where as your population expands a la Civilization you don't get an expansion in your influence area but instead are able to build additions to sprawl your city out to utilize more resources. Kind of a neat twist on the Civilization system of expansion.

If I had to try to chop away at enthusiasm for this game I'd say you need a decent machine to run it because in the later stages of the game it can get pretty hard on your system resources, even chugging some systems to a complete halt and prevent you from finishing the game. I'd also say the graphics are... I don't know... not dated but maybe just a little bland?

All in all if you're a 4x strategy fan and dig the fantasy setting then this is the game you're supposed to buy this year.
  50. Nov 20, 2014
    Fresh idea for a 4X game. I like it a lot. The only flaw for me is, that it becomes repetitive quite early. But I'll be very much looking forward for a sequel as this might become an epic 4X series. And it looks beautiful, with nice OST.
  51. Sep 29, 2014
    This is a game that is tremendously entertaining now, will hold up 20 years from now. I've put in 34 hours thus far, 24 on the full released version, and I will say that this is my favorite 4X title of all time. The beauty, the immersion of storylines, the RPG elements, the soundtrack, and the deep strategy, make it a game that I have to peel myself away from. Is it a Civ clone? No.This is a game that is tremendously entertaining now, will hold up 20 years from now. I've put in 34 hours thus far, 24 on the full released version, and I will say that this is my favorite 4X title of all time. The beauty, the immersion of storylines, the RPG elements, the soundtrack, and the deep strategy, make it a game that I have to peel myself away from. Is it a Civ clone? No. It's like saying is Far Cry a Half Life clone. Just scrolling out to the Risk-looking map, and down into the micro view of the cities, and watching the textures bleed in is so satisfying. Can't recommend enough. Expand
  52. Dec 24, 2014
    Amazing art, new approach to battle system, great lore, great implementation of single player (questing) and multiplier. This game has so much love and work in it, it is simply amazing, I am blown away.
  53. Nov 2, 2014
    Great game for X4-fans!
    The game has some improved game-mechanics compare to CIV5 (e.g. unit-builder, sectors for cities, tech-"tree", battles are on the map, different-terrain-levels, winter/summer,...)
    It's not a 10, because: german language translation has some bugs, switching between zoom-in/out looks not so good/smooth, some minor stuff in UI).
  54. Nov 30, 2014
    Endless Legend is a fresh Civ-like turn-based game, with a touch of fantasy, and with some unique and very interesting features

If the point of the game is very similar to Civilization (you choose one of the paths to victory, being as usual military, culture, science, domination, etc.), its gameplay is original and creative. The factions are very different and will affect your victory possibilities, some of them are really crap at combat, others can't even colonize new regions.

Talking about combat, it is very well thought. As soon as you enter a battle, by moving your army against another, the 'normal' gameplay stops and you're taken to the field of battle, which is a real field, with mountains blocking your way and everything. You can pick 'auto' mode for the 9 vs 1 battles, but when your army of 10 men encounter another army of 10 men, the way you position your troops become very relevant, and you can sometimes win by just being smarter than your opponents.

It's time-consuming, addictive, well if you've made it that far, I know you know what I'm talking about. One...last...turn...

Other novelty, the heroes. They can lead your army like generals or improve your city as governors. They can be customized at the point you can choose their gear, skills, like a mini RPG-feature, and they count as an extra super-unit in battles. Same happens for armies, you can customize your units. They'll cost more if you add a shield, a chestplate, but they'll be more efficient. Also, you can rename them, which might be a funny feature in multiplayer.

Now I gave it a 8 because of 2 things. First of all, the set up of a multiplayer game can be very time-consuming at the beginning. The forums are full of people not being able to play at all, being stuck in loading screens all the time. Second bad point, as I'm not playing in English, some parts have not been translated at all, which might be problematic for some people, it gives a small sensation of an unfinished game.

Other than that, it's a must-try for every Civilization fan, it is new, fresh, with nice music, nice colours, and lots of customization.

Now one tip to the new players, choose your starting faction carefully, some are very difficult to play with, and build armies to protect your cities, because 2 little soldiers to defend a fortified city is not enough, you'll lose it in one turn !
  55. Oct 31, 2014
    If you're looking for something new and fresh in the 4x genre or strategy games in general, you will not be disappointed. This is truly a gem of a game.

It boasts a beautiful UI, streamlined game play, fresh approach to combat, depth in gameplay, 8 UNIQUE factions, gorgeous campaign map, that will have you hooked. I've been playing PC based strategy games for almost two decades now, and have played almost every major game you can name. With so many disappointing releases lately from AAA franchises this is truly one game you should get your hands on. While not perfect, this small Indie company is fully supporting their game with a very open dialogue with their community.

This game made me create an account and post my positive review.
  56. Dec 17, 2014
    I think Endless Legend is one of the best 4x game you can find today.

Its strongest points are (Its Subjective) Its art design - Wonderful Music, Beautiful and Unique Avatars for the different factions, Nice (randomly generated) world map - the game is a joy to look at. The tech tree - Although it has tiers I have found it much more interesting and a lot less linear than in Civ
    I think Endless Legend is one of the best 4x game you can find today.

Its strongest points are

The tech tree - Although it has tiers I have found it much more interesting and a lot less linear than in Civ IV,V

RPG elements - Heroes have a rather good ability tree and there is huge armory to upgrade and "specialize" your heroes and units as you progress through the game. Exciting quests and the feel you need to explore for more hidden treasures on your map. A lot of minor faction on the map also make the game more interesting and giving more options to set up your "army composition" because after you pacified a minor faction you can use their very unique.units in your army.

Its a wonderful game If you like the turn based strategy genre Endless Legend its a must to try and I think you won't be disappointed.
  57. Jan 29, 2015
    "Bizarre, cynical, and full of stories–truly, Amplitude Studio’s Endless Legend is the Hunter S. Thompson of 4X games.

In a year that boasted some heavily-desired strategy and civ-based games (including one from the granddaddy of all civilization franchises), isn’t it funny that the one that absolutely stands out the most is the one with the strangest lore, most unique characters and creatures, and most fleshed-out, fun-to-explore world. It’s almost as if players enjoy a unique polish to their games every now and then. Not that I mean to give the finger to Sid Meiers and Firaxis and all those wonderful people. They’ve put out dumptrucks of amazing games over the years, and I’ve gobbled every bit of it up like an obese Texan toddler.

But merciful blue Christ: Endless Legend is steadily making itself into my favorite civilization game since Civilization V released Brave New World."

Read the full review at Notes From The Conquistadork: http://conquistadork.net/2015/01/05/long-winters-gathering-dust-thoughts-on-endless-legend/
  58. Oct 16, 2014
    Good all around 4x game. It is somewhat lacking on the economic/empire building side of things, so if you're looking for Civ 5 in a fantasy setting this isn't it. What is lacks there, it more than makes up for on the tactical side, combat is loads of fun - do not use the auto combat or you'll miss out on the best part of the game.
  59. Dec 1, 2014
    Lets see here gents, Great looking game check. 8 different empires that are all very different check. turn based so i can drink my beer, check. amazing interface that has very use full but not overwhelming info with detailed tool tips so that i don't have to have a encyclopedia to figure out how it works, check. OH NO my friend disconnected while playing online..... dot worry he can justLets see here gents, Great looking game check. 8 different empires that are all very different check. turn based so i can drink my beer, check. amazing interface that has very use full but not overwhelming info with detailed tool tips so that i don't have to have a encyclopedia to figure out how it works, check. OH NO my friend disconnected while playing online..... dot worry he can just re join and the AI just plays one turn..... wow that alone is note worthy but no one will tell you that.

I can go on and on but lets just say for a second guys that a very small company that i have never herd of is releasing titles that are constantly, that are entertaining and a very reasonable price, i would recommend this to a friend matter of fact i bought it for a friend for x-mas and we both are enjoying it.
  60. Dec 10, 2014
    An excellent 4x strategy, must have for everyone who loves this genre. Graphics is a thing to get used to and there are still some things to polish, but... I believe a true 4x fan can live with that, especially when you get truly unique factions, multiple quests and an interesting minor factions which are both barbs and kind of city-states for you, followed by quite good combat system, anAn excellent 4x strategy, must have for everyone who loves this genre. Graphics is a thing to get used to and there are still some things to polish, but... I believe a true 4x fan can live with that, especially when you get truly unique factions, multiple quests and an interesting minor factions which are both barbs and kind of city-states for you, followed by quite good combat system, an original approach to city management and a nice diplomacy capabilities and having kind of RPG element in heroes levelling and following your faction main storyline. AI is a bit dumb in the late game but surely provides some challenge on the start, and playing vs humans is always better, right? Especially, when the multiplayer is not broken like in another quite famous title of the 4x genre :-) Expand
  61. Sep 30, 2014
    Vision, creativity, strategy design, novelty, flexibility all make this game a masterpiece in its genre. The way the team has thought these elements shows tremendous passion and professionalism and it all comes together perfectly.
  62. Oct 4, 2014
    Wonderful and beautiful game !
    Of course, the art in this game can not contend everyone, so you will see some 'bad' critics based on this. On the other hand, you get a game with a unbiased and assumed art touch !
    On the game mechanics side, I personnaly name it as 'Endless Space 2' with more ressources ! In fact, one major addition to the franchise is a new type of 'ressource' which
    Wonderful and beautiful game !

In fact, one major addition to the franchise is a new type of 'ressource' which is earned in accordance with how you play the game ! This is a major feat which gives a way more subtle game. Regarding this particular ressource, the different races are not equals and the game gains in terms of replayability and diversity. This is nothing but an addition which was missing it's predecessor.

Finally and althought I personnaly experienced none, maybe the game will suffer frequent crashes and bugs on your computer. On the other hand, the game developer is remarkably well known to support it's games WAY beyond their initial release and in a good way as they always get in touch with the community and adapt their games' mechanics accordingly.

All in one, this is a beautiful game which is is based on excellent grounds and it will certainly be thoughtfully updated by it's developer as long as the community asks for it ! For such a small price compared to oversold AAA games, this is a must go !!
  63. Dec 28, 2014
    My only 4x experiences, previous to Endless Legend, were Civ 4 and 5. This is, simply, better. It's a fantastical world, beautifully realized, and provides so much more variety than the Civ series can. Much of this stems from the factions in the game. In Civ, factions have 2 unique units or buildings, and a special characteristic. In Endless Legend, each race not only has completelyMy only 4x experiences, previous to Endless Legend, were Civ 4 and 5. This is, simply, better. It's a fantastical world, beautifully realized, and provides so much more variety than the Civ series can. Much of this stems from the factions in the game. In Civ, factions have 2 unique units or buildings, and a special characteristic. In Endless Legend, each race not only has completely different units, but forces the player to adopt radically new play styles, depending on the strengths and weaknesses and quirks of the race they're playing. Oh, and your units can be equipped with items of increasing cost and ability, allowing a huge amount of customization.

Play it see for yourself.
  64. Nov 14, 2014
    A very creative and enjoyable take on the 4X strategy genre. You can really feel yourself immersed in the world and you feel in control of your nation. The battle system and the strategy elements are here for hardcore 4X people and it's also easy enough for newcomers to pick up and play. Give this game a try if you ever wanted to get into strategy games but you felt weighed down by otherA very creative and enjoyable take on the 4X strategy genre. You can really feel yourself immersed in the world and you feel in control of your nation. The battle system and the strategy elements are here for hardcore 4X people and it's also easy enough for newcomers to pick up and play. Give this game a try if you ever wanted to get into strategy games but you felt weighed down by other game's complexity. Expand
  65. Dec 30, 2014
    It has this absolutely gorgeous graphics with an amazing artwork and graphics style, as well as an excellent, almost euphoric soundtrack; it is magnificent, it is advanced, and even if it is much to comprehend at first, compared to the Civilization-series, it is worth it.

If you like 4X and Civilization, you will get many, many, hours out of this game.
  66. Oct 29, 2014
    Endless Legend is the best 4x game around. The Dev team seems to really love making the games and I like how they continue to involve the community of gamers. As always with Amplitude, everything is beautiful. Keep the games coming!
  67. Oct 28, 2014
    Endless Legend is a phenomenal 4X turn-based fantasy strategy game! Although this game has a few minor issues in gameplay the overall tone of the game is pleasing. This game will usurp the power and prestige of the Sid Meier’s Civilization Series if Endless Legend keeps course. Goodbye Civilization, hello Endless Legend!

Final verdict: 10 out of 10 gold leaves. (Aside from a few minor

Final verdict:
    10 out of 10 gold leaves.
    (Aside from a few minor gaming bugs, that will soon be fixed via patches, the game is perfect.)
  68. Feb 16, 2015
    Short version: Nice graphics, nice soundtrack, nice ideas. Really bad implementation. Most (if not all) 9/10 reviews are fake (they all read generic, saying stuff about "amazing graphics"). Just don't buy this crap.

Longer version: This game looks very good at the onset. You can design your own race, carefully crafting the perfect people with which to rule the universe (or the world).

Longer version:
    This game looks very good at the onset. You can design your own race, carefully crafting the perfect people with which to rule the universe (or the world). You can choose units, exclusive techs, traits. Then you begin (long loading time, but ok) and you are greeted by a lush map and a great soundtrack. And then it all goes downhill. Really fast.

For starters, combat: You get called onto a combat screen. Upon loading you get a little confused by what to do. But here it is, just click ready and go. Units auto target and they do the stuff they need on their own. Melee units get into each others way and archers kill everything (even cavalry). It's really, really stupid. There is no point in controlling the combat, just hit auto.

And after a few turns, you will notice how very excitingly nothing happens. Just click, click, click. And then the AI comes and attacks you for no reason. It will lose, get nothing but annoyance from you, but it still does. Why? Because it's a bad AI and they have to sure something happens, even if it's for a silly reason.

Even worse, there is a winter month, where all production gets cut severely. And winter comes faster and lasts longer every time it comes around. I mean, I like the idea of seasons, it's just so poorly implemented, it doesn't make any sense.

I recommend not buying this game. You are better off buying pretty much anything else if you want turn based stuff, from fallen enchantress to civ V (or 4, which is even awesomer) and sins of a solar empire. Even Beyond Earth (which absolutely sucks) is better than this.

And please, for the love of god, don't leave fake reviews. If the money you are making came from lying to people you are no better than a lawyer, think about it.
  69. Oct 3, 2014
    First up let me say - I opened a MC account just to write this review.
    First up let me say - I opened a MC account just to write this review.
    Endless legend is a great game. Anybody that likes Civ, Total War Rome, Total War Shogun will find this game pleasing. The game has a really clean UI, almost like windows 10. It also has RPG elements with champions, where they level up and you can equip them with gear. It has 9 or 10 different leaders you can play with, but you can also customize them as well. But what really got me was the score; the music in Endless Legend is AMAZING.

Overall, I couldn't find a single reason to give this game a 9. Great IP!!!
  70. Oct 31, 2014
    After seeing some teaser trailers I was very much into playing this game. But after I actually played it, it felt like a dissapointment. Nice graphics and UI design doesn't go with proper gameplay, which feels flat, repetitive, and kind of tedious.
  71. Feb 26, 2016
    I was conned. This game is low budget and as expected, it performs low budget!! So many times I've fallen for ratings and reviews. Think of this game as the poor man's Heroes: Might and Magic and Civilization. Watch some gameplay on Youtube, you won't last 15 minutes because it's so generic and there's nothing awesome about it.

Boringgg.... this game excels in nothing. It's not a fail

Boringgg.... this game excels in nothing. It's not a fail of a game as gets the basics right. But that's what this game is, Basic. You have your standard hex grid, your main base, you expand your territory by attack other settlements, trade etc.But everything is so mediocre. Poor graphics too. But for people giving 10/10? Must be on a budget because they can't afford trying out better games. So this is their version of Civ? (even though civ is an older game).. If this is the case I can't blame them. So maybe it's good for these guys but for the rest of us, Maybe not. Don't waste your money, don't waste your time.
  72. May 7, 2015
    It's basically Civilization with a fantasy theme. You have more lore and an interesting setting, but less factions and option. The diplomacy and other themes are better done, yet the combat isn't as good or tactical as Civ. It's a fun game that any 4X fan should check out.
  73. Nov 19, 2014
    Coming from Civ 5, I rated this game poorly, but after getting into it have come to like it a lot. I love the quest system and the different factions. They each have a unique feel and play differently from one another. You get to customize your units and keep upgrading them forever which I really like. They mixed in a small number of RPG elements into a turn based strategy game, which isComing from Civ 5, I rated this game poorly, but after getting into it have come to like it a lot. I love the quest system and the different factions. They each have a unique feel and play differently from one another. You get to customize your units and keep upgrading them forever which I really like. They mixed in a small number of RPG elements into a turn based strategy game, which is nice. Hero's, equipment, quests, temple exploration. You can micro manage combat, but after the first couple of battles I tend to just auto resolve it.

This game does have issues with stability though. It tends to crashes every so often and gets slow in late game. Which is why i give it a 7, fixed those stability problems and it gets a 8.
  74. Jun 18, 2015
    Best "X4" strategy game that I've ever played, it's (imo) better then all the civilization. In this game changing your civilization have a real impact and change your gameplay ! Graphics are amazing too et the soundtrack is just flawless ! *-*
    It would be cool to have a bit more political options but it's realy a minor problem.

just buy this game !!
  75. Aug 29, 2015
    Superbe ambiance et très bonnes musiques. Ce jeu; d'abord complexe, permet énormément de différentes stratégies en fonction de la race que vous jouez. En outre, jeu très profond, très bien travaillé permettant de nombreuses heures de jeu avec un immersion juste fantastique! Un must-have.
  76. Feb 12, 2016
    Really boring game and really not much to do, you will spend 90% of time by moving citizens between food, industry, dust, science and influence and that is pretty much to do it in this game, battles are extremely poor made and technology tree is so typical and boring.
  77. Oct 5, 2014
    Many games have tried to fill the fantasy 4X hole that Master of Magic left something like 20 years ago. Endless Legend tries it with good looks and lots of quests. Unfortunately they forgot to make it not boring.
    For example: You meet villages that you can "pacify" by destroying them and bulding them again, by giving them money and by solving quests. So far so good. Succesfully pacifying a village or group of villages then gives you a 5% increase on some more or less useless stat like 5% more initiative or whatever. WTF?
    So instead of marrying the village elders daughter or getting some cool artifact its playing spreadsheet again. Even if you find an artifact in some ruin you don't get it per se, you can build it yourself.. once you have the relevant technology and ressources.
    I could go on. Heroes gain xp, but the effect of new levels are pretty minor and not at all satisfying. What good is a Hero if every random schmo can beat him in combat?

Good:
    - Good Looking 4x
    - Lots of quest including a main story
    - PVE to keep you interested until you meet the ai

Bad:
    - Plays Sloow, especially the tactical combat. (That isn't tactical btw. )
    - Excel gameplay, +2 per whatever here, +5% there
    - Bad city placement can cost you the game (Pocket calculator time)
    - Lots of fake 9/10 reviews, I can't trust a company that does that.
  78. Oct 15, 2014
    Endless Legend is a well executed Civ4 clone with some ideas of its own. Unfortunately some of them are not quite catchy - own units upgrades tends to be boring after some rounds, tech tree is a bit hard to follow and somehow when building improvements you do not feel the sense of achievement. Despite the fact that different factions follow various storyline, the game tends to get boringEndless Legend is a well executed Civ4 clone with some ideas of its own. Unfortunately some of them are not quite catchy - own units upgrades tends to be boring after some rounds, tech tree is a bit hard to follow and somehow when building improvements you do not feel the sense of achievement. Despite the fact that different factions follow various storyline, the game tends to get boring after 10-15h of game play. Perhaps it got over complicated? But perhaps I am choosy, figure out by yourself since it's an interesting piece.

Graphics: 6.5 (Resolution vs. text size forces you to abandon 1920x1080 res.)
    Sound: 7.5 (Soundtrack is atmospheric, sound effects are mediocre at best)
    Gameplay: 8,0 (Easy learning curve, lots of hints, easy interface, though a bit "messy" map)
  79. Nov 3, 2014
    Seemed great at first, lots of new stuff and like a cross between Civ and Heroes of Might and Magic. Fun to play, plenty of options and play-styles. Problem is, it's too easy. Even upping the difficultly didn't make an appreciable change. All you need is a single army with high-initiative archers, and the mightiest empire 10 times your owns' size can't stand against you. Looks like theSeemed great at first, lots of new stuff and like a cross between Civ and Heroes of Might and Magic. Fun to play, plenty of options and play-styles. Problem is, it's too easy. Even upping the difficultly didn't make an appreciable change. All you need is a single army with high-initiative archers, and the mightiest empire 10 times your owns' size can't stand against you. Looks like the combat and army design needs more balance or options. Expand
  80. Oct 15, 2014
    I am a big fan of 4x games, so I thought I'd give this a whirl. Frankly, I found it pretty shallow. I tried some other victory conditions other than conquest but all were tedious. It seems the only way to have fun is to charge forth and mass produce units. Maintaining peace is virtually impossible. /shrug. I like the idea but find the execution lacking.
  81. Feb 18, 2015
    Have you ever been so completely immersed in a game, loving every minute of it and every minute detail, only to be smacked in the face by a huge glaring issue that makes you not want to play the game again? The AI in this game is the guilty case in this scenario for me. Despite previously making a 4X strategy game (Endless Space) and an expansion for it (along with a year or more ofHave you ever been so completely immersed in a game, loving every minute of it and every minute detail, only to be smacked in the face by a huge glaring issue that makes you not want to play the game again? The AI in this game is the guilty case in this scenario for me. Despite previously making a 4X strategy game (Endless Space) and an expansion for it (along with a year or more of updates), Amplitude for some reason forgot to teach the AI basic strategies. For example: in my most recent game, I found another faction roughly three regions away from me who was neutral towards me. They then proceded to send a settler into my territory, yell at me when I attacked it, settled a city (after retreating with the settler), and then begged for mercy when I steamrolled their defenseless city. After agreeing to a cease fire, they then chastised me for controlling territory next to them (the city I just captured). The most baffling part of this is that the AI seems to be as bad if not worse than vanilla Endless Space's AI. I would've expected going into this that Endless Legend should have playable AI after the dev's previous experience.

On top of the terrible (unplayable?) AI, you have tons of network issues. Even with just one other person, the game can still desync or crash if someone's connection has even a lag spike. Although its a nice touch to have drop-in-drop-out gameplay in a 4X, joining a friend's 3 player game to replace an AI ended up desyncing the rest of them and effectively ended the game since they hadn't saved yet. There is an option to resync the connections but it doesn't seem to ever work properly for me or any of my friends.

Often times I feel like I am fighting with the game itself to make my cities do more than one thing at a time; each of the 4 "X's" requires absolute focus in Endless Legend. Although I love the struggle against the planet itself, I wish I could disable certain handicaps. Ramping research cost for all tech (including previous eras), paying influence to engage in diplomacy, and winter's random increasingly powerful debuffs and durations are just a few of the wrenches the game throws into your nation's machine. An eventual endless winter comes if you play for a very long match, causing your production and troops to slow to a crawl. I understand from a lore standpoint you have to make the game difficult to play against, but even SMAC's Alpha Centauri was more hospitable than Auriga.

Outside of the AI and network issues, Endless Legend is fantastic. I love the unique popup map layout (reminiscent of Game of Thrones's intro), deep levels of zoom, a creative twist on combat that combines the best of old and new 4X combat systems, and harshness of the game environment. I really want to like this game but as of now I can only recommend it for 4X enthusiasts with a LAN. Hopefully the devs continue working on improving the AI and we won't need to wait until an expansion to "buy" working AI.
  82. Dec 28, 2014
    MoM was one of my favorite games growing up so I was pretty excited when I heard about this game, especially since Elemental had such promise and ended up being a gigantic flop. Anyway, the game has a lot of potential but is also hurt by some UI flaws.

Combat is a chore and units don't always do what you want or expect them to do. If I want to flank with one unit so that another can move in... well, the unit will just take the easiest opening, even if that means blocking off other units for extra attacks. In fact, it feels like the position of units on the overworld map just doesn't really matter all that much.

There isn't a lot of variety in the units either, it seems. Each faction has a handful of units they can produce, then you can mix it up some by changing armor and weapons as you unlock technologies and acquire resources. So you're basically taking your soldiers and just saying, "okay, now they're *better* soldiers!" Boring.

There are heroes but they are largely the same. There are three classes: support, infantry, and ranged. Then there are three sections to the skill tree: one for the hero class, one that is shared by all heroes, and one for the specific faction from which the hero hails. You seem to start with a hero, and then have to hire the rest from the market when you finally unlock that technology. You can equip your heroes, but it's mostly the same deal as with upgrading your units.

I played as Cultists because I liked the look, but maybe that was a mistake for my first play through. You can't build any new cities and you can't take over cities. Meanwhile, you traipse across the country pacifying and converting the minor factions you come across. This helps bolster your army (since you only have the one city) and you don't have to pay for the units, only for their upkeep. You can also sell the stockpiled units for some extra cash. So really part of the play style is that you convert everyone and everything... but you can only raze cities, not take them over. Stupid.

There's no magic that you actively use in the game.

I saw someone recommend only using auto-battle since combat was so clunky so I started doing that. The game will show you a graph gauging the relative strength of each army. Except I would constantly be shown that my army was weaker than the other but auto-battle would resolve with my forces taking little to no casualties.

I played on easy just to learn the system but the AI is seriously dumb. I was destroying a rival kingdom and the guy kept treating for peace. I'd say, "gimme this technology too" and he'd be like, "No! Unacceptable!" Then I'd destroy another city. Rinse, repeat.

In the end I was just really disappointed with this one.
  83. Jan 14, 2016
    It's a 4x game in fantasy setting which takes ideas from Civ5 (hex grid), Civ Call to Power (armies) and Alpha Centauri (unit designs). Despite many novel features, the game is spoilt by messy combat and graphically overloaded maps which get even worse later in the game.

Pros: - nice-looking graphics, good music - good GUI design, with tons of helpful tips - can design units like in

Pros:
    - nice-looking graphics, good music
    - good GUI design, with tons of helpful tips
    - can design units like in Alpha Centauri, with even more configurable params (you equip them with items)
    - you can expand cities to occupy more than one tile
    - there is a winter season which lasts a few turns - all tiles produce less food and gold ("dust")

So-so:
    - the whole fantasy thing. The techs, the units, the buildings have meaningless hard-to-read fantasy names, with almost no anchors in reality
    - you can only build one city per region
    - there are "minor factions" which are a mix of barbarians and "city states" from Civ 5, which you can either conquer or do their quests but it's more fun to just conquer them all
    - quests which tell you to build this or that and give bonuses - helpful for starting players, but feels like too much guiding by hand

Cons:
    - a questionable combat system, where the units act in the order of their initiative. However, unlike in Disciples 2 or Divinity Original Sin, the orders to the units you have to give in the beginning of the turn, and enemies with higher initiative will act before your units get a chance to act. The combat would be much better if there were no initiative and just squad turns, like in most wargames. Or, if they wanted initiative, you should give orders when your unit's turn comes. Or, if they wanted simultaneous turns, they could have made something similar to combat in Shattered Union or Frozen Synapse. Combat is so awkward here that most players will just choose "auto" or "spectator". Also, the stats of units are very intricate (e.g. your unit does 98 damage and the enemy has 117 defense, and there is also randomness, terrain types and elevation bonuses - how is the resulting damage calculated is never clear and it's never explained anywhere in the game). Planning and predicting anything is too difficult to make any meaninful tactical combat. So, most players will just auto-resolve or spectate. That's like playing Rome Total War and auto-resolving everything - not much fun, given the not-so-interesting economic part of the game
    - in tactical combat there are no visual clues as to what your or enemy units can do. No highlighting for tiles where they can go, where they can attack, or how much damage an attack will do. That's simply inexusable for a game with tactical combat.
    - battles are made even harder, especially later in the game, when there is more stuff on the tiles, because you can't even see the units properly. Civ4 and Civ5 recognized this problem and both have the option to show big 2D icons of the unit type above the unit (Civ4 allows to show 1 soldier instead of a group for better visibility). Here the only thing you have is a thin vertical banner showing the remaining HP, next to a small crowd of tiny, all similar-looking soldiers. The type of unit is rarely clear from its model unless you left-click the units all the time hunting for tooltips.
    - special properties like "cavalry slayer" cannot be moused over and it's never clear what they do for the enemies until you build a similar unit yourself and check its properties outside battle.
    - during winter, the white arrows showing your units' orders can't be seen at all over the snow tiles. Also, frequently the tile highlights showing the starting placement areas are completely invisible in the mess of tiles colored differently to show the terrain type.
    - units generally have very slow animations which are annoying to wait for. Enemy armies will continue moving even when it's your turn which makes a very confusing impression. The camera also doesn't center on their movement
    - the world map is so filled with garbage that it's hard to even see the enemy or barbarian armies, or the special resources, or your cities, or anything, especially later in the game. There is a "zoomed out" view, but in it the game just looks too ugly and hides terrain yield info
    - when you select cities, the game view doesn't change, just the city control panels appear above. It's easy to forget if you are viewing a city or the world map. And in city view armies aren't shown on the map! Right-click closes city view but also gives movement orders to armies - this tends to be very confusing, resulting in wrong movement orders, or you not noticing any enemy armies for a few turns as you stay in city view
    - lack of gameplay options. Check Civ 5 and how many automation/presentation preferences it has, to fit both casual and geeky players.
    - economy is pretty baisic. Apart from expanding the city, there are no terrain improvements, and you just build all buildings in all cities in some optimal order.
  84. Feb 11, 2015
    Being a fan of Endless Space, Endless Legend was a nice improvement both lore wise and mechanic wise. Unlike Endless Space, I was able to convince friends to pick this one up and actually play against people.

Combat system reminds me of the combat in Age of Wonders III but combined with Endless Space.

(Cultist 4 Lyfe)
  85. Oct 21, 2014
    I really wanted to love this game. To a degree I still kinda do. The art design is glorious, the loading screen for the vaulters, that transportation tube going through the mountain tells so many stories, the cultists look absolutely amazing I really fell in love with the fluff of this game, the necrophages and "elves" are a bit cliched but everyone else is pretty damn cool. The sound isI really wanted to love this game. To a degree I still kinda do. The art design is glorious, the loading screen for the vaulters, that transportation tube going through the mountain tells so many stories, the cultists look absolutely amazing I really fell in love with the fluff of this game, the necrophages and "elves" are a bit cliched but everyone else is pretty damn cool. The sound is glorious, the graphics are very pretty, everything about it is really good..... except the actual game. That's not to say you can't burn numerous hours and have a blast, much like the people above me who love this game to bits, you can. However if you're the discerning type, maybe you've played a few civs, maybe Sins of a Solar Empire, you've been around for bit.... you'll get frustrated with some of its design.
    First off don't listen to the quests. The quests mislead you and put you in a bad spot. For example the Cultist quest begins by instructing you to convert two villages. One of those villages will be outside of your border, you can only have one city. Someone else will colonise that land and burn your converts down, then it will cost you twice as much to convert the next village. Instead, fast tech to peace treaties (tier two), then follow the quest. Most of the quests are like that.
    There is barely any diplomacy. You have to sort of prod and poke to work out why/if people are mad at you, when they'll attack. It's annoying, its opaque (think release Civ V).

The combat. Alas. This game due to its lack of interesting diplo options (i.e. you can't try to start trouble between other factions) is based on its combat. The combat sucks, its poorly designed. Some units have an ability that performs an AOE attack on retaliation _only_. When you attack someone first (you have more initiative) you prevent them from attacking you. So you can't build initiative items. The void lord infantry unit gains health if they have attacked a unit on the same turn that it dies (_not_ relatiated) they have incredibly low initiative that is really hard to buff so you miss out on it all the time. Chances are the enemy will die from a retaliation at the start of their turn robbing you of it. You can't control where you move AND who you attack. Only one or the other. If you just give attack markers the AI will typically make all your units block each other so nobody gets to fight. If you automate combat it will do the most stupid things in the world (especially if the terrain is cramped). Not all villages are equal, if you start a game as the vaulters and have a the little flyer village in your territory the game is vastly more difficult than it otherwise should be. Bad design.
    For some reason someone thought it would be "fun" to have a "winter" month. Where for a certain amount of turns (more the longer the game goes on) you get WAY less gold, production, food and movement speed. That's the opposite of fun. It's annoying and arbritrarily pointless. You're forced to put heroes into towns because the town bonuses you get are way too good to pass up, so you have to unlock the market and save up a ton of gold to do so (they're _really_, _really_ good).

This should be a great game but unfortunately its just a bad Civ rip-off. I feel so sad for the people that did the gfx, the art and the sound that the game designers didn't actually play through their game enough to actually make it fun and logical, so much of it doesn't make any sense. There are tons of Civ clones out there but unfortunately this isn't one that takes the genre into an interesting direction.
    OH and what's with all these people flattening tech trees? Its not "fun" or "strategic" to be forced into teching things you don't need just to force the tech era onto the next one. What's fun is making trade-offs so you can rush something dazzling that fits into a strategy that you have formed.

If you're looking for alternatives Warlock 2 looks okay from what I've seen, the one from Stardock also looks good (it has proper turn based combat). I've personally just bought Distant Worlds: Universe which looks amazing. Maybe you'll see me review that one too.
  86. Jan 25, 2015
    I have played Endless Legend for 60 hours so far. There is a lot to like about this game, but for a 4X game to be truly successful it must emphasize replay value. I love the summer map, the one-city regions, the district expansion of cities as well as the tech & resource management aspects of Endless Legend. The factions are very distinct, which is great.

Combat though is limited to a

Combat though is limited to a pre-combat targeting attack plan which leaves too much under the control of the AI. Eventually, you will end up with veteran units doing really stupid and suicidal things because the game puts some strategic actions out of the players hands, thinking oddly enough that the AI is better suited to make those decisions for you.

Diplomacy is very limited, reduced to repeatedly bribing other factions to achieve peace until you are ready to declare war on them. No point in spending your Influence points to setup Commercial Agreements with a faction when the AI has a tendency to break such agreements the very next turn. AI is not very aggressive, probably set this way on purpose to hide just how weak it is. AI is good at Score victories (because it cheats), but not much good with any other Victory conditions.

But all these issues with combat, diplomacy and AI does not really negatively affect "replayability". What does affect replay value are these issues:

1. Winter is boring. It slowly takes over the game's timeline until "Endless Winter" comes around turn 200. During winter, your city production goes down the drain, army movement slows down to a crawl and its offensive capabilities are severely diminished. And the game loses its beauty and becomes this monochrome cloudy backdrop where game elements are hard to find on the snow storm dominated map. Winter is to Endless Legend what mosquitoes are to summer. They mess up a good thing with no redeeming value. I don't care about the lore of the Endless Winter. Lore should never affect gameplay in 4X games.

2. Quests are poorly designed. Endless Legend produces quests that are ill-advised, impossible to complete and too time consuming while providing very little value in return. The storyline of each quest adds nothing to gameplay.

3. Minor Factions does not play an important role in your chosen strategy towards a victory condition. Assimilating minor factions provides weak "spreadsheet syndrome" benefits such as 5% increase of this or +2 of that. Again, the Minor Factions quests make no sense. It is always easier and less costly to just bribe or attack them.

I will probably be getting 80 hours of gameplay out of Endless Legend, which is a good thing. I am getting a decent return on my investment. I am just very disappointed that Endless Legend will not join Civ V and Age of Wonders 3 in my list of 4X games that I go back to time and time again.
  87. Oct 24, 2015
    This is the best fantasy 4X game out right now. The factions play totally differently, and have different victory conditions, to an extent. The game's pace is a little slow; a problem it shares with their other game, Endless Space, and the winters make the pacing problem worse. Battles are often not decisive, as heroes can increase the resilience of units to the point where they can'tThis is the best fantasy 4X game out right now. The factions play totally differently, and have different victory conditions, to an extent. The game's pace is a little slow; a problem it shares with their other game, Endless Space, and the winters make the pacing problem worse. Battles are often not decisive, as heroes can increase the resilience of units to the point where they can't do serious damage to each other for the maximum duration of the battle. The indirectness of unit control in battles is frustrating, as the AI has much finer grained control, making use of support units difficult.

That said, the game is fun, and fans of fantasy strategy will enjoy this one.
  88. Jan 15, 2015
    Still no Linux Version. The lack of interoperability its not an option today. They promised and there is not the game on linux. Make it available please.
  89. Feb 7, 2015
    Other than Civilization V, this has to the best large-scale turn-based strategy game on the market. It is so much better than Civilization Beyond Earth. It brings enough new ideas to the genre, considerable polish and replayability, and is the best looking turn-based game ever made.
  90. Mar 13, 2015
    Game is unplayable, map generator has a 99% chance of failure, none of the dev workarounds work for me or others with the issue. when a map does launch I have not been able to save. again non of the dev workarounds for this work for me, or any of the other dozens and dozens of people complaining of the same issue. They have had nearly a year to fix this constant problem and have refused toGame is unplayable, map generator has a 99% chance of failure, none of the dev workarounds work for me or others with the issue. when a map does launch I have not been able to save. again non of the dev workarounds for this work for me, or any of the other dozens and dozens of people complaining of the same issue. They have had nearly a year to fix this constant problem and have refused to do so.. blaming it all on antivirus software [even when none is present the game still refuses to generate maps nor save and crying that they are a small team and can't be expected to fix their game's problems. a complete waste of 40 dollars.. burning that amount of money would have been more enjoyable then this useless brick of a program. Expand
  91. Oct 21, 2014
    GFX quality is decent overall, no problem with sound track either. Environment / atmosphere / lore is decent. I really wanted to like this game (I own Endless Space by same dev), but unfortunately, there's just too many issues to merit more than a 5/10. "Side-quests" from villages are more annoying than fun, with time limits being too short early game. The "battle phase" is incrediblyGFX quality is decent overall, no problem with sound track either. Environment / atmosphere / lore is decent. I really wanted to like this game (I own Endless Space by same dev), but unfortunately, there's just too many issues to merit more than a 5/10. "Side-quests" from villages are more annoying than fun, with time limits being too short early game. The "battle phase" is incredibly tedious and you really have to "auto-complete" everything just to stop the game grinding to a complete halt. Screen-edge scrolling is randomly stuttery (no it's not my CPU/GFX card), a few crashes, tech tree doesn't show research summary unless you mouseover everything one... by... one... There's no pop-up warning about units with unused turns, cities in revolt or a stalled production queue, no mini-map, units don't always complete their ongoing movements when you hit the End Turn button.

Biggest overall problem though is pacing. You expect turn-based games to be slow but this really is something else. After 100x turns the overall level of progress felt more like 25-30 turns in other TBS games - and that was on "fast" gameplay. Another reviewer said "It's like playing Civ at 1/4 speed" and that is so true. There really needs to be a "extra fast" option for those of us who cannot spare 2-3 DAYS per game. This is not slow in the "greater strategy depth" sense, it's simply slow in the "artificially inflated no of turns required to research or construct anything" sense...
  92. Oct 17, 2014
    There's so much about this game that's good, and I hope the devs can fix the bugs so it's a game that everyone can enjoy. But I've got to reiterate what some of the other reviews say about this being an unfinished game. After a few days of playing I've had maybe 30 "errors" and crashes. If I'm playing a beta version of a game pay me to test it, don't ask me to pay to play!
  93. Sep 19, 2014
    If you like CIV, you will like this game. Its like CIV in a science fiction setting. One thing that bothers me is the 2000's like graphics in this kind of games. The Units are not very detailed, the fighting animations are boring. But its the same in CIV. Games like the Total War series manage to show hundreds or thousands of detailed Models during a Battle, why is itnot possible in 4xIf you like CIV, you will like this game. Its like CIV in a science fiction setting. One thing that bothers me is the 2000's like graphics in this kind of games. The Units are not very detailed, the fighting animations are boring. But its the same in CIV. Games like the Total War series manage to show hundreds or thousands of detailed Models during a Battle, why is itnot possible in 4x games like CIV or Endless Legend to create some detailed models if they dont nearly touch that unitcount ? Diplomacy seems to be ok so far, but i didnt play very much until now. The exploring is similar to CIV or other games too. This game doesnt invent new stuff, it just offers you an alternative story or galaxy to play in. I like the Hero system, you can command Hero units and equip them with items you find. They are skillable with a skilltree, so you can give them your personal touch like in a RPG. The artwork is beautiful, like mentioned by others before (Unitpictures). Expand
  94. Nov 30, 2014
    Did not enjoy this game. One. Bit. Why? Because the combat is so utterly ret@rded, It just saps the energy right out of me and while I can extensively write about all my complaints, this game does not deserve any more of my time and dedication so here's one sentence for you.

The combat in Endless Legend only allows you to tell your units whom to attack AFTER the opponent has played his turn which means he can scramble his every position around, majorly screwing any and all strategy you may or may not have deployed as you cannot cancel the previous "targeting" and nowhere does this dumb-beyond-belief feature get more annoying than when your enemy has Cavalry units (tons of movement with no drawback).
  95. Jan 9, 2015
    Be extremely careful with Endless Legend, for many people the game simply does NOT work. There are considerable posts in the Amplitude and Steam forums about the game not loading, or crashing constantly. I myself have not been able to play the game at all as it always crashes on world generation.

All the countless responses and workarounds never worked for me, and indeed for many others. I would love to actually play this game and give it a fair review but after trying in vain, the game simply never worked and I gave up - so anyone reading the reviews, or thinking about getting Endless Legend - be warned that this game does have significant issues and may not work for your system.
  96. Sep 30, 2014
    The good:
    - Interesting and unique factions (no elves, dwarves and orcs here).
    - Engaging story
    - Rewards exploration
    - Multiple ways to win that all seem doable
    - Very pretty with a funky, hex based world map

The bad
    - Combat feels a bit uninteresting

The terrible (and reason for the low score)
    - Crashes, all the time, it's uncommon to play more than 10 turns without a crash
  97. Sep 29, 2014
    This is a CIV5-like 4X game that was released well before it was ready. It's chock-full of design flaws.
    -You have to click too many times to make a unit actually move
    -There either aren't many keyboard commands or they are a well-kept secret -The help file (civopedia) is empty, and many of the terms are not intuitive -The game runs slowly, even with preferences down Add these
    -You have to click too many times to make a unit actually move
    -There either aren't many keyboard commands or they are a well-kept secret
    -The help file (civopedia) is empty, and many of the terms are not intuitive
    -The game runs slowly, even with preferences down
    Add these together, and it's like playing CIV5 at 1/4 speed. It's miserable.
  98. Oct 30, 2014
    If you're fairly new to the civ game genre and looking for something modern, this game's pretty great. But if you're a civ veteran looking for fresh challenges, this ends up feeling pretty stale. The mechanics are all quite well polished, but overall, it's too much of a knock off of the Sid Meyers games that doesn't bring enough novelty to the table to hold my interest, as someone who'sIf you're fairly new to the civ game genre and looking for something modern, this game's pretty great. But if you're a civ veteran looking for fresh challenges, this ends up feeling pretty stale. The mechanics are all quite well polished, but overall, it's too much of a knock off of the Sid Meyers games that doesn't bring enough novelty to the table to hold my interest, as someone who's already played the games it's based on. Expand
  99. Nov 30, 2014
    oh yes and it crashes all the time and gets asynchronous... this game just stinks, just like endless space did. dont buy this crap.. **** game man -.-
  100. Oct 23, 2014
    I got this game because it was rated very highly, the graphics looked good, and it seemed like a fun game.

I was extremely disappointed. The game had so much going for it. It is very polished, the art and sound are great. The UI is slick. But the game designers messed this one up. There are just too many options, too many things going on. I went through the whole tutorial and still came out confused -- and I've had experience playing many, many games.

It was as if at each decision-point, the game designers were like "hmm, should we add the ability to customize X", the answer was always Yes. And while I like there to be a certain amount of decisions to make, when you present too many, it becomes a burden to the actual gameplay.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 37 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 10, 2015
    The masterpiece you don't expect, who knows how to remedy many flaws of the more famous rivals without disrupting any of the mechanics which we have become accustomed, using instead many original ideas to give a boost to the genre.
  2. CD-Action
    Jan 9, 2015
    A complex, polished and really pretty game that has nothing to be shamed of even when compared to Sid Meier’s Civilization. [13/2014, p.44]
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 21, 2014
    A beautiful strategy diamond that breathes new life into a tired genre. [Christmas 2014, p.71]