7.7

1. May 22, 2017
    A solid sequel to the original 4X game, however it is still currently plagued by some fairly nasty bugs and balance problems.

For me though, I would have loved the endless series more if they did away with the terrible and broken Over-colonization penalties, these have never worked properly - and always hurts the player more than the A.I, ES2 has even harsher penalties and severely limits the games appeal for me, since it really does prevent creating spawling empires, it heavily impacts conquests because you are forced to raze colonies so you don't go over your control limit and thus get hit with massive penalties which unfortunately even with tech/wonders can't really be offset by much, to be honest - I wish they would do away with this feature completely.

The 3D battle scenes are nice to look at, but ultimately serve very little purpose because it is just watching a static battle, you have no control at all and because of that, you'll be skipping battles all the time.
  2. Aug 25, 2017
    More than 3 months after release, and the game is still unplayable. A game-breaking bug in which save files are corrupted after a mere 100 turns or so (even short games take at least 250 turns to complete) still prevents this game from being enjoyable or even playable. I have spent dozens of hours playing and attempting to remedy this issue to no avail. Even worse, the devs have releasedMore than 3 months after release, and the game is still unplayable. A game-breaking bug in which save files are corrupted after a mere 100 turns or so (even short games take at least 250 turns to complete) still prevents this game from being enjoyable or even playable. I have spent dozens of hours playing and attempting to remedy this issue to no avail. Even worse, the devs have released only a handful of updates over the past several months which have done nothing to correct this; and the largest update actually broke the game even more for most users. Despite an apology from the developers and a long-awaited bug fix/rebalance update earlier this month, the corrupt save file issues remains.

I've tried to enjoy this game - far more than i would have had i not enjoyed the first Endless Space so much - and as much as I want it to work and be enjoyable I am giving up. 3 months later and countless hours searching for a fix for the corrupted save bug and the game is still UNPLAYABLE. I essentially paid for nothing. I have never felt so cheated by a developer, and will never purchase another game from Amplitude again.
  3. May 20, 2017
    I've been playing 4X games since the original Civilization and Master of Orion 1. This is easily among the best of them. Its charm, depth, uniqueness, and gorgeous presentation all make this one of the best strategy games of all time, not just 4X strategy. You'd be remiss to pass this one up.
  4. May 19, 2017
    I'm only 9 hours in, but I can already tell this is going to have me engrossed for the foreseeable future. It you muscle through the tutorial the work will be rewarded with a fun, beautiful, complex, but not unapproachable 4x Space game.

I didn't give a 10 due to some silly spelling errors, etc... things like that which I'm sure will be fixed. Otherwise, I haven't experienced any bugs in the main game, and have been having an absolute blast. Especially after the sometimes arduous tutorial, which is both needed and well done.

If you are a fan of games anywhere near this genre, this is what you have been waiting for.
  5. May 20, 2017
    Maybe it doesn't have the overwhelming complexity and depth of some of it's genre colleagues, maybe it's not the innovative messiah of the 4X-games-universe but I simply love how Amplitude manages to pull me in with their distinctive art style and simple but creative FIDSI system - all well rounded with an easy to use and well organized UI. And looking at Endless Legend I expect a similarMaybe it doesn't have the overwhelming complexity and depth of some of it's genre colleagues, maybe it's not the innovative messiah of the 4X-games-universe but I simply love how Amplitude manages to pull me in with their distinctive art style and simple but creative FIDSI system - all well rounded with an easy to use and well organized UI. And looking at Endless Legend I expect a similar development regarding content and depth here - is it already worth 40 bucks? hell yeah...

I recommend with all my heart.
  6. May 21, 2017
    Endless space 2 is complex yet accessible, It has amazing lore, soundtrack, artwork and 4x mechanism. It is supported by developers with a track record for listening to its community and inviting feedback (games2gether platform.) In short Endless space 2 is the best 4x game (base game compared with base game of other 4x games) I have played in 25 years of 4x gaming. For me it is onlyEndless space 2 is complex yet accessible, It has amazing lore, soundtrack, artwork and 4x mechanism. It is supported by developers with a track record for listening to its community and inviting feedback (games2gether platform.) In short Endless space 2 is the best 4x game (base game compared with base game of other 4x games) I have played in 25 years of 4x gaming. For me it is only lacking a good hall of fame system (Hopefully coming) yet I cant bring myself to give it any other score than 10/10 when compared with the other games historically and currently available in the 4x genre. Expand
  7. May 20, 2017
    Endless space 2 feels like Endless space 1 - but bigger. Which seems to be the formula for it - most or less. It did not re-invent itself .. it adds a lot more complexity to the 4x nature of it - giving the player more access to micromanagement while also allowing similar automated modes.

Its visual style is quite elegant and updated to what is expected today. Since most of the game is spend on the galaxy screen or various sub-menus, the game itself is not too demanding on the hardware (more than Endless space 1 though)

There is more variety in space combat - which was only a slideshow (more or less) in Endless space 1 - but still not enough to really care much about ... in my opinion. The way it is portrait still becomes repetitive quite quickly.

And therein lays the problem for me. The game starts very strong - but becomes stale(r) with time. Compared to Civilization - which becomes more engaging the later the game is (at least in high difficulty settings) - Endless space 2 becomes more routine in the late game.
    I also felt like there was a certain threshold when you kind of "knew" that you had lost the game. When the AI was so far ahead that it would take game loopholes or exploiting the AI to get ahead again. (which is usually late mid game) - the game would go on and on and on after that point because the AI seemed not to wish to crush me - even if it could - but i would not manage to catch up again - no matter what.

Speaking of AI - i hardly see any improvements in that department in most computer games. The AI is dumb most of the time - not recognizing bottlenecks and not amassing large enough forces to break through tough defenses - instead trickling small fleets against strong defenses one after another just to be torn apart. That does not mean that it cannot win of course - but it means that it is still - by no means - even close to a human opponent - and no noticable improvement compared to Endless space 1 (or similar games)

However - the game is certainly above average and if you like space 4x games - you will most certainly get your moneys worth... as you will spend several hours having fun with the game. But for me - it is nowhere near the top of the food chain. ... About as good as the Master of Orion remake - but not as good as the original Master of Orion 2 (back then - for its time).
  8. May 28, 2017
    Another buggy launch after months in early access. If the studio fixes the bugs, it'll be an easy 8. As of now, not worth full price.

Took notes from previous games - Endless Space, and Endless Legend. Suffers from some failings of those earlier titles as well. Endless Legend was broken because of Luxuries providing exponential bonuses. ES2 fixed that well enough, but introduced an even more broken exponential factor in the form of trade routes. Game's still fun - just turn off Economic Victory and don't exploit and it's alright.

On to the bugs. I haven't been able to play a game to completion yet. It's being actively patched... in a slapdash manner that creates new game breaking bugs. Hung up - again - on Turn 153 (could never get that far with Economic Victory on). Had to keep reloading saves to get that far, with new bugs freezing the game in an Endless loop every time. I think they'll fix a few bugs and sell the game on glitz to casual players who never plan to finish a match anyway.

Might be a good game in 7 months or so, if they don't just crap out and start spamming expansions, which they very well might. Not worth buying as of 5/28/17.

Shame on them, and shame on you suckers for buying it anyway without getting a refund. I did.
  9. May 24, 2017
    Amazing game, graphics, battles, level of depth, music and effects are great. I loved the ships customization option, variety of races even small things are well implemented like the search option in the tech window but, there is always a BUT!, "over colonization penalties" destroyed all good of this game. At a certain moment that will vary depending on your expansion rate, a catastrophicAmazing game, graphics, battles, level of depth, music and effects are great. I loved the ships customization option, variety of races even small things are well implemented like the search option in the tech window but, there is always a BUT!, "over colonization penalties" destroyed all good of this game. At a certain moment that will vary depending on your expansion rate, a catastrophic never ending chaos will literally destroy what you have accomplished, unleashing a chain reaction of despair, discontent in the population, drain of resources to 0 and constant governments changes that will turn the game unplayable. It's hard to imagine how they could have missed this unless they did not, and if it is the case, someone needs to rethink really hard the idea around "overpopulating the infinities of the universe penalty". The concept is bad from design, they could have added a "corruption" level of some sort or logistics penalty but no, we have this breaking mechanic in place. There are a few workarounds to overcome the total chaos situation but will force you to spend a lot of time and/or change your game style forcibly. Please fix this and have the score your game really deserves. Expand
  10. May 20, 2017
    One of the best 4x games I've ever played. Sure it's not as accessible as Civ but it's part of it's charm. Not every game needs to try to grip the widest audience.
  11. May 23, 2017
    Итак. Фактически это клон Эндлесс леженд в космосе, но с порезаной под корень механикой.

Тактических боёв нет как явления, всё что вы можете- смотреть как ваши корабли уныло кружат вокруг воображаемой точки и перестреливаются, при этом камера будет самостоятельно и очень раздражающе прыгать на "выгодные" ракурсы. Всё колесо начных исследований учится за шесть часов игры буквально.

Всё колесо начных исследований учится за шесть часов игры буквально. Все до единой технологии, и потом весь ваш научный потенциал превращается в тыкву, учить больше нечего, развиваться некуда, даже пассивки каких-то технологий типа щитов-кинетики-брони как в Стелларисе отсутствуют. Так же не продумана прокачка героев в лейтгейме. Они продолжают получать опыт и уровни. Но вкладывать очки навыков уже некуда. Короче вся игра мотивирует закончить партию часов за пять-семь, не больше. Что для глобальной стратегии откровенно скажем не очень.

Ну и довольно занудная и глупая система войн. Прилетаешь флотом на планету, привозишь в трюмах своих истребителей-линкоров танки-самолёты, сбрасываешь и ждёшь несколько ходов пока они там воюют. потом ждёшь ходов 15 пока планета интегрируется в твою империю. И держишь там флот чтобы не захватили. И так по одной планетке раз за разом, никакой тактики снова нет, но мы можем установить сами пропорции танков и самолётов в нашем войске и всё...короче за всю войну (часов 6-8 войны) я тремя флотами захватил планет 8 (если не считать отвоёванные обратно собственные системы, их было три или четыре), да, примерно по одной планете в час. И ИИ врага тупит просто нещадно, присылая в атаку на мой флот с парой линкоров и под 29 коммандных очков партии самоубийц на 10 КО без единого тяжёлого корабля. Ассортимент боевых кораблей тоже не поражает воображение, два малых, два средних, один большой, назван авианосцем (в русской версии) но никаких авианосцев в игре не существует потому как нет никакой авиации, дронов и тому подобного. Всё что есть- два вида пушек (энергетика и кинетика, каждый подразделяется ещё на два), модули щитов и модули брони. Всё остальное для игры не важно.

Дипломатия тоже не блещет от слова совсем. Враг ведёт себя как откровенный аутист. Экономика- дисбаллансна, ни на одной стадии игры нет дифицита ни в чём абсолютно. Вобщем скука. И шрифты и UI...в русской версии наезжают друг на друга, цифр не видно, при уменьшении масштаба даже до 70% они всё равно продолжают наезжать (при разрешении экрана 1920х1200) плюс становятся микроскопически нечитаемыми, это просто ужасно. Проект унылый, сырой, недоработанный, с учётом что игра не делалась с нуля и это не первый проект Амплитуд- троечка с минусом. Кто поработал хорошо- композиторы и артдизайнеры, заставки колонизации планет очень красивы, как и музыка.
  12. May 21, 2017
    Si te gustaron los anteriores juegos de Amplitude y los 4X en general estas de enhorabuena, este juego es la excelencia en cuanto a como debe diseñarse un 4X, profundo, elegante, variado y repleto de sorpresas.
    ¿A que esperas para probarlo?
  13. May 31, 2017
    Endless Space 2 is a great game tha underwent dramatic changes during its early release. Amplitude studios is one of the best listening to player feedback and they duly drop nonsense mechanics like hard forced truces or the underwhelming initial tree.

In ES2 you pick one alian race with unique art and history. Every faction plays asymetrically and that adds greatly to the replayability. The gameplay is similar to 4x space strategy game: planet colonization, ship design, flotillas vombat, exploration etc

The game is not perfect and it would be a 9 more than a 10 but I'd like to compensate for the unfair reviews in my opinion.

My biggest flaw would be the combat, by far the weakest point in Amplitude games. The developers have tried to innovate which results in some interesting new mechanics and some more quirky than necessary.

Among the novelties there is a new political system which is essential to manage to get powerful wide policy.

Another innovation is the ability to mod the game AI called ENFER

As usual the art, music and writing is superb. Endless games trademark is meaningful quests which add a lot of flavour to the game.

I have beat endless difficulty after 100 hours of gameplay which was very satisfying. In the higher difficulties the AI have unfair advantages as usual but it offers a nice challenge.

My biggest complaint in ES1 was that there were too many ships and that has been fixed in ES2. I consider Amplitude Studios productivity very high. They had a buggy day 0 release but quickly patch after only 1 day.

All in all a must have for strategy enthusiasts
  14. Jun 22, 2017
    Quite simply one of the most beautifully crafted 4X games to date. So much polish, in every game system. Wonderful UI navigation with deep lore. Support this game!!!
  15. May 30, 2017
    I played many videogames in my life and then some more. Endless Space 2 is something else. Spectacular, fast, smooth, full of lore, oportunities, treachery and interesting factions each with its uniqueness, nice graphics, love the music, the mechanics of the game, the political system. This game is the epitome of how a 4X game should be made. Took them a while but Amplitude finally madeI played many videogames in my life and then some more. Endless Space 2 is something else. Spectacular, fast, smooth, full of lore, oportunities, treachery and interesting factions each with its uniqueness, nice graphics, love the music, the mechanics of the game, the political system. This game is the epitome of how a 4X game should be made. Took them a while but Amplitude finally made it. And the best is yet to come with the expansions. Can't wait to see more content of this AAAA game. Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2017
    First of all, I love how the races are fleshed out, back story with a cool movie, nice ship design.
    The economic part (system building) didn't really changed much from ES1, so for me its only an ok. As I stated in my Civ6 review, I'm not fond of Civ1 citybuilding, it was good enough for the first ever 4x strategy game to be in the hall of fame, but after Orion1 and Colonization1 its it's just nono for me.
    I loved the event system, even more than in Stellaris. And the political system, even if somehow I feel that is bugged or juts plain simple not balanced.
    The battle. Hmm, I have nothing against autoresolved battles, but first of all beside good looking ships, the camera angles, weapon visual and sound effects are a very very low score for me, and when u think the only reason to exist is to be awe by it (even a 10 year old SoS battle si looking better). The only reason I was entering sometimes in battles, to see the ships and for the Overview camera. The 2nd problem, as in with ES1, I saw right away the weakness of the system and I was going for only one type of ships and killing much stronger enemies with no damage taken, I got even the AI in offside, because it was doing only one type of ships. At least in ES1, I was needed 3 type of ships for my fleet to be complete. So do I have a choices?
    Diplomacy and AI. Should I have to be surprised about the AI in an era when we get dumber and dumber Ais in 4x strategies, but hey they are much smaller company so I'm not expecting miracles.
    So I really liked it at first, but I got bored really fast.
    It just baffles me, how many people are saying that they played Orion1, but Civ1 and can't see what made those games marvelous. Orion2 it was my first disappointment, in an era when new games could not disappoint you and yet everybody clones it. It doesn't matter how complicate a game is if it's core design is flawed. Chess, Backgammon, Catan etc, there are great not because they are complicated, but because they are complex.
  17. Nov 28, 2017
    This is the MoO II replacement I have been waiting for for 20 years. It expands on MoO II in every area. It's a new game and will surely improve over time, but it already has a much better combat AI than Civilization VI. It does have a steep learning curve and the UI could use some work, but the combat graphics are impressive. The "Just one more turn" factor is as high as in any game IThis is the MoO II replacement I have been waiting for for 20 years. It expands on MoO II in every area. It's a new game and will surely improve over time, but it already has a much better combat AI than Civilization VI. It does have a steep learning curve and the UI could use some work, but the combat graphics are impressive. The "Just one more turn" factor is as high as in any game I have ever played. Expand
  18. Jul 3, 2017
    It feels like the game is hidden by a 100 panels and lengthy text.
    The combat is one dimensional.
    The AI is dumb and provides no strategy even on the hardest difficulty.
    Its a chore to play this game thru and thru.
    I love 4x Strategy games but not this one.

If you're itching for a space 4x strategy get some mods for Stellaris because that's the best we'll get.
  19. Jun 25, 2017
    I like this game but it's buggy and unstable. If the writers and creative content people from this game teamed up with the engineers from Stellaris, they would have made a masterpiece. Overall, I still like this better than Stellaris because its RPG elements are way better than Stellaris.

Edit: Adjusting my rating to 9 because the developers have since patched most of the game-breaking stuff. This is a very fun game.
  20. Jul 24, 2017
    The first time you play if, you feel like you are farmer converted to king in a future sci-f kingdom, and you will not understand how the game really works. But after two or three plays, you being to know better how the game works and I hat off the game designers. The art is well designeed and the quests are very enjoyable. Very good!
  21. Sep 19, 2018
    It's a fun game, better in some ways than its predecessor, but overall the same gameplay mechanics and balancing decisions can eventually remove the fun. Namely, all those effects that punish you for being a big empire. You have to grow because of the special resources scattered around. The faction-specific story elements and achievements can keep one going on but eventually, the churn toIt's a fun game, better in some ways than its predecessor, but overall the same gameplay mechanics and balancing decisions can eventually remove the fun. Namely, all those effects that punish you for being a big empire. You have to grow because of the special resources scattered around. The faction-specific story elements and achievements can keep one going on but eventually, the churn to research tech from scratch over and over gets old sooner or later. Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2017
    Inferior in every way to its predecessor. Clunky controls. There were times you wished for better information in "Endless Space". With ES 2 they went the other way. Incredibly slow game start. You can't do ANYTHING for the first couple of hours. I return happily to the superior, first version of the game!
  23. Nov 19, 2017
    Endless Space 2 is one of the most beautiful experience in 4X genre. Gameplay is deep and rewarding, aesthetics are breathtaking, and devs are adding free content on regular basis. The only thing that sometimes feels lacking is combat system.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 24, 2017
    A perfect example of how the 4X strategy can be comprehensive, and yet remain clear and accessible to beginners. If you ignored the genre or it started to bore you, this is the reason to give it another chance. [Issue#274]
  2. Games Master UK
    Jul 13, 2017
    Huge space strategy housed within a gleaming shell. It'll keep you boldly going for months. [Aug 2017, p.74]
  3. Jul 5, 2017
    Even though I wish that Endless Space 2 had fully controllable battles and smarter AI opponents, this is still an amazing game that you will be exploring for hours.