- Summary: A satirical spy-fi lair builder where YOU are the criminal mastermind! Construct your base, train your minions, defend your operations from the Forces of Justice, and achieve global domination.
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Evil Genius 2 - Official Gameplay With Developer Commentary
Mar 29, 2021The balance of needing to manage your lair and check your world map is particularly well done. As your network grows it can get harder to avoid lockdowns, but upgrades bring it back in line. My only minor gripe is that you can’t properly micromanage minions. They have auto-assigned tasks and if you need things prioritizing - for instance, the removal of dead agents blocking the corridor - you need to get your Genius to step in, which can be dangerous. If you love building games, creating elaborate strings of traps, playing the bad guy, and generally living your best island life scamming tourists, Evil Genius 2 is for you.
Mar 29, 2021While the visual aesthetic and tonal backdrop may not look or feel that important to proceedings as a result, it’s Evil Genius 2: World Domination‘s cunningly-emergent approach to base-building where a lot of the hidden little joys are to be savoured. Conjuring all manner of obsession on shape, size and positioning alike. Never stopping, never wavering and all the better because of it.
CD-ActionNov 19, 2021The terrific concept, the amazing music, the minions bustling around the retrofuturistic secret base of my own design – there was a moment when I was deeply in love with Evil Genius 2. Hours later I discovered that it drags research out frustratingly and the choice of rooms you can build is too narrow considering the length of the scenarios. What’s the point of having a multistory facility if all the floors look the same? Still, it’s a fantastic game that will make all fans of Dungeon Keeper feel right at home. [06/2021, p.46]
Apr 5, 2021When Evil Genius 2 gets it right, it gets it spectacularly right, and if you’re the type that can bury your brain into resource management while laughing at the deliberately cliched and over-the-top style of the game, you’ll have plenty of moments of fun taking over the world, one carved-out-of-mountain-rock room at at time. However, there’s still some rough edges here, and some game balancing that could have made it even more engaging, both for those who adore resource management and those who might just like the challenge of taking over the world with the help of a few shiny new doomsday devices.
Game World Navigator MagazineJun 17, 2021There are only a few changes over the original game, and almost all of them are for the worse. Not to mention that the increased amount of busywork made me feel more like an evil genius’ butler than the big man himself. [Issue#253, p.48]
Apr 4, 2021N'ayant pas jouer au premier opus je trouve celui ci très agréable,addictif(+45h la premère campagne) certe un peu de redondance dans lesN'ayant pas jouer au premier opus je trouve celui ci très agréable,addictif(+45h la premère campagne) certe un peu de redondance dans les quêtes mais le jeu reste très plaisant à jouer.… Expand
Apr 6, 2021Being a gamer in my early 50's, I have some memories of the first Evil Genius. However, I'm never one for examining sequels that areBeing a gamer in my early 50's, I have some memories of the first Evil Genius. However, I'm never one for examining sequels that are literally just a revamp of the original where said game was more than 15 years old. I don't have particularly fond memories of the original anyway, and I found it clunky, too complex for what is essentially The Sims with a purpose. So, I couldn't find myself having time to relax in the original and gave up quite quickly.
The first 10 hours of Evil Genius 2 does allow for some relaxation, but it is all a prelude to what becomes a bit of a mess. The heat system could have been a good feature, but it requires far too much micromanagement, and if that wasn't bad enough, the interface (World Map) where you attempt to control it is not well thought out and needs some sort of list feature, instead of trying to frantically scroll around trying to figure out what needs to be taken care of.
The amount of incursions to your lair by Investigators, Soldiers is OK at the start, but later on, when you are constantly fighting against the world map design, the uncontrollable heat, and then trying to focus on the main and side missions, it all becomes too much. My first playthrough lasted 15 hours before I gave up in the hope I'd learnt enough to make my second run better, but then that run also felt like I was getting nowhere fast. This was playing on the 1 star easy mode too!
I'm all for spending time to learn how to play these types of games, but I feel that 35+ hours in should mean I know how to cope. Playing on easy mode, I would have expected to have virtually completed the game, yet I am miles away from completing it. Having so many setbacks in easy mode does not make for a great experience. I was hoping to beat it on easy, then work my way through the other 2 difficulty levels to ensure replayability. However, I'm feeling like either I make a breakthrough soon (can't get to research 3) or i'll give up.
I hope they do some balancing so that easy mode actually is easy mode. I'm not the greatest gamer that ever lived, and I'm always first to admit that, but when easy means hard, it makes me mad!… Expand
May 5, 2021Copy-paste my Steam review.
There are serious problems with this game. Cons.: 1. World map. It's not like before where you see theCopy-paste my Steam review.
There are serious problems with this game.
1. World map. It's not like before where you see the missions, the items you may steal, the main objective quests, etc. You need to scout the areas first, then you may finish quests. What kind of quests? Money (something that was done by default previously, depending on the kind of minions sent and their number), decrease heat, etc. So, it is logical, if you want heat decreased faster, then spend additional money and do it ASAP.
The problem is: everything is repeatative and boring. Literally, 2-3 options to do. Instead of giving 6-10 options (more money - more heat, more money - faster, slower - cheaper, etc.) the developers were just lazy and gave these options we have.
The network establishment is kind of... Unclear. Or useless... As I see it - the developers used that element to extend the length of the game in unnatural way. For example, if you want to establish more networks, you need more network stations. It means more energy. It means more reactors or generators. It means more money and spacier rooms. It means you need to spend time grinding money. You get it?..
In the original you may have sacrificed minions to get more cash ASAP. Or just slowly managing your guarding minions (they brought more money on the map) and the affairs of the lair. Here there is nothing like this.
2. Tutorial style beginning.
Guys, if you need tutorial, you play tutorial. There are many people here who already know what is Evil Genius and how to play it. Simple tips would have worked.
3. This achievement style of gameplay is just garbage. It looks like people will need money and it will be the last straw for them to advance... No. It distracts attention. In Evil Genius there were secondary quests. Finished? Cool. Skipped? Ok. This is it. Simple but efficient.
4. Research. It is too primitive and short. You can't manage your minions scientific minions to do the research manually, boosting it or slowing. Garbage.
5. Even weak agents kick the ass of the guard minions. In the original weak agents can be taken down by 1-2 guards. And hey were rushing to the spot of fight if it's nearby. Here it's not like this. Your guard will have a nice meal while the colleague at the entrance will fight to death.
6. Absolutely plain humor. Nothing is funny. Just nothing (especially those cut scenes). In the original there was so much fun. Here the jokes are very bland.
- Construction of rooms.
- Design of small details and decor.
I still recommend to try the game if there are some patches, cheap DLC, anything else. Right now the game seems VERY VERY VERY unfinished. As if they cut huge amount of content. Or... Castrated the Evil Genius. For this stage of release - it's bad.… Expand
Apr 15, 2021So here we are
EG2 finally came out A whole bunch of socially awkward gamers awaited this ever since, the first one was a masterpiece!!!So here we are
EG2 finally came out
A whole bunch of socially awkward gamers awaited this ever since, the first one was a masterpiece!!!
This one here does not live up to its legacy however.
- Nicely overhauled building system allows you to preplan your entire base (if you want) and allows you to fix smaller parts of your lair by adding material,
- Recruitment system is easy to understand. Nothing to master here.
- Fancy new "Protocols" allow you to deal with invaders quick
- Different Armaments for your Minions allow you to focus on certain tasks, either capturing, or killing them
- Corpse disposal has become much easier, unlike back in the days, where you had to wait for "years" until the freezers were free again
- Looks nice
- It lacks the kind of humor of the old one - EG1 was funny, but in a serious way. EG2 is TRYING to be funny, but in a childish, really not funny way, e.g. you only have the one chair for questioning, unlike EG1 where you could extract intel by putting your enemies into the bowl at the mess hall...
- Minions are portrayed as incompetent fools, rather than actually pros
- The Dialogue scenes ridicul your avatar in many ways, making it lose the seriousness of the entire thing overall
- Making money ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sucks, passive income is low, and you just grind schemes to make cash
- They removed the reknown system
- Super agents are not a real threat since there is only one entry, and you just place all your guard tables there, and it's GG
- There is no outside world anymore
- "MORE POWER NEEDED"
- The AI voice is annoying
Overall, it did not live up to the expectations. Some parts included quality of life changes, but it is overall simplified in ways that are just a letdown for old veterans like me.
The Cons overweigh the pros on so many ways. Hands off this game, as much as it hurts.… Expand
Jul 13, 2021This is not a worthy sequel. It feels like a lazily ported mobile game, with content locked behind expensive DLC. Hey developers! WE DO NOTThis is not a worthy sequel. It feels like a lazily ported mobile game, with content locked behind expensive DLC. Hey developers! WE DO NOT WANT MOBILE TYPE GAMEPLAY ON PC!!! Refunded this game quickly.… Expand
Apr 9, 2021Could be a good game, but are completely ruined with severe game breaking bugs. Not the “how annoying” kind, but the kind where you can notCould be a good game, but are completely ruined with severe game breaking bugs. Not the “how annoying” kind, but the kind where you can not continue the game. So you spend 30+ hours building your lair, and that’s it game over try again due to a bug… Expand
- (0 views)
- (0 views)