- Publisher: Guangzhou Good Games Network , E-Home Entertainment , META Publishing
- Release Date: May 25, 2023
- Also On: Xbox One, Xbox Series X
- Summary: Evil Wizard is a humor-filled action RPG featuring metroidvania elements and carefully crafted pixel-art environments. As a defeated villain who barely survived a tough fight, you'll have to face an army of so-called heroes to recover what's rightfully yours. Rediscover your powers,Evil Wizard is a humor-filled action RPG featuring metroidvania elements and carefully crafted pixel-art environments. As a defeated villain who barely survived a tough fight, you'll have to face an army of so-called heroes to recover what's rightfully yours. Rediscover your powers, infiltrate your own castle, unleash devastating spells, and purge your ancestral home of these miserable excuses for an enemy. Are you ready to get your hands dirty? It's time to be the bad guy for a change!… Expand
- Developer: Rubber Duck
- Genre(s): Role-Playing, Adventure, General, Action RPG
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 2 out of 3
Mixed: 1 out of 3
Negative: 0 out of 3
May 29, 2023Evil Wizard makes a bold narrative choice but feels safe everywhere else. Constant and redundant backtracking to get the right spell and inconsistent difficulty spikes make the combat loops feel like ‘just another action title’, and while that may be the case, Rubber Duck Games has fine-tuned the combat and exploration to give Evil Wizard its own identity – a challenging title with fun laughs for those who see it through to the end.
May 24, 2023The worst thing that I can say about Evil Wizard is that it isn't really anything new. A malicious black mage-looking bad guy battling heroes who are actually villains is a well-worn trope at this point, and the combat and general exploration is fun but somewhat unmemorable. It's a fun game through and through, but it's also exactly what it says on the tin, and it revels in it. Evil Wizard offers goofy humor, video game references, and fun combat — and sometimes, that's all that it needs to do.
May 30, 2023Now, I don’t want to sell it too short here. The right kind of person can certainly appreciate this sort of thing and those people might enjoy this a lot more and make it worth buying. But for the rest of us, the gameplay just isn’t remarkable enough, and I don’t think a bucket of humor dumped over the player’s head is what the doctor ordered. This earns it a score that reflects the niche audience that can appreciate the game for what it is.