- Publisher: Logic Artists
- Release Date: May 30, 2013
- Summary: Expeditions: Conquistador is a story-driven tactical roleplaying game with a touch of strategic resource management and a pinch of choose-your-own-adventure.
- Developer: Logic Artists
- Genre(s): Role-Playing, General, General
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Expeditions: Conquistador Official Trailer
Positive: 14 out of 21
Mixed: 7 out of 21
Negative: 0 out of 21
CD-ActionJul 2, 2013A perfect balance between an RPG and a strategy game, between turn based gameplay and lively action. Although it has some flaws, I was able to turn a blind eye to them, as it offers at least 20 hours of great, absorbing fun. [CD-Action 08/2013, p.70]
Sep 6, 2013At the very least, Conquistador's acceptance of player failure makes it possible to experience its excellent writing.
Pelit (Finland)Mar 11, 2014Expedition: Conquistadors is very entertaining strategic role playing game, about an interesting subject, too [Nov 2013]
Jun 2, 2013Engaging turn-based battles with neat RPG system that is remarkable for its several quest solving options and its motivating map exploring.
Jul 19, 2013There's a force in this game that tells us that they tried to do something different, even though there are some aspects that should have been improved. Still, it is a good options for those interested in the genre or the topic.
Jun 27, 2013Expeditions definitely has some strong points like the narrative, the choices or its dynamics. But when it comes to the presentation in general and the battle tactics it is not as strong.
Jun 3, 2013Conqiustador's main problem is its small budget. You can't shake the feeling that lots of things weren't finished properly or were simply drafted. The developer's ambition was big, the end result is not that great. There are too few adventures, a too simple character development system, too schematic battles and the game lacks the option to act for yourself (instead, you always work for someone). All of this adds up to a sandbox game with an interesting universe and original story, that is boring and limited.
Positive: 33 out of 51
Mixed: 14 out of 51
Negative: 4 out of 51
May 31, 2013I've played the game for (too many) hours now- and that's the kind of game it is: highly immersive, fun and challenging. You get to KNOW yourI've played the game for (too many) hours now- and that's the kind of game it is: highly immersive, fun and challenging. You get to KNOW your party, they have personalities and you get to like them and agonize when you loose them(or in some cases hate them and consider loosing them!). It is not perfect, no game is, but it is well thought out and well executed. And the setting is brilliant. Can we have an expansionpack please? "Visit" the Mayans perhaps?… Expand
Aug 5, 2013This game should be getting more press. It was the most interesting indie title-- easily on par in terms of content, quality, writing, music,This game should be getting more press. It was the most interesting indie title-- easily on par in terms of content, quality, writing, music, and concept-- with any recent AAA title, actually-- I've played in years. I am thirty hours in, just got to Mexico, and I'm not even close to bored. I love TBS and rpg games and this game blends those concepts fluidly and with an artistry that is rare in the cookie cutter mass produce winning formula marketplace-- the game easily deserves a 9.5. Rock solid, intelligent, and informative to boot.… Expand
May 30, 2013This game is one of those you don;t see in this age anymore.How many games of this type gives you option to choose your party,manage yourThis game is one of those you don;t see in this age anymore.How many games of this type gives you option to choose your party,manage your party,have elements like hunting,guarding has very good AI and in some cases it can be a bit to much challenging especially for casual players,but you can modify difficulty and even on normal (and most likely on easy) its very satisfying,my point is its very in-dept strategy game and it has wide range of options both for casual and old hardcore players who were dying hard for challenge.Also you need to worry about random events like disease,you need to worry about supplies especially food,because you can't venture and explore without it and not raise rebellion among your followers and a lot more.Also story is pen 'n' paper but its written very well,its like reading good book,if you like books you will find yourself lost in very well dialogs,even if you are not fan of the books you will like it.Also there are standard perks like leadership,tactic now every one of them including diplomacy is important,because depending on which you choose it will affect your character and at the end there is moral element in the game.Graphics are nice,it keeps retro look and it still look like modern game.Music is very nice,first thing i usually do is turnoff sound in game and than launch my playlist,but not this time.There are a lot of feature and they did very good job with tutorials and tooltips so with a little of reading and watching illustration you will learn mechanics and features in no time,but will you master the game My only compliant is camera and world map.Now you can rotate camera to fit your angle,but it has limited line of sight and trees can get in the way.And world map is not detailed enough,most of the time i have to move my head really close to monitor to see patches even if i play on max resolution and compass is confusing,But you get use to it very fast so its not big deal but because of that i can't give this game 10.… Expand
Aug 20, 2015I almost skipped this game while browsing Steam search results for tag "turn based strategy". The historical theme seemed boring at the firstI almost skipped this game while browsing Steam search results for tag "turn based strategy". The historical theme seemed boring at the first glance, and I didn't expect much. But this game turned out to be very good. It's somewhat like Banner Saga or Heroes 3 with food and diseases, but the tactical combat system is more or less unique and pretty fun to play. The texts are outstandly finely written, it really immerses you into the politics and psychology, though the choices in dialogs are sometimes too few. This game also educates about colonization of Latin America - a topic not many people know much about, at least in Europe. For its modest price any TBS fan should buy it.
Here are some issues which I think could be fixed without too much effort:
- the camera on the world screen is too close to the ground, and you view only a very small part of the world which makes it way too easy to get lost or even walk past important objects - unless you constantly switch to and back from the map. I found myself constantly willing to "zoom out" but the camera just won't go higher. The colored columns of light do help to locate resources but still the camera feels clumsy and too limiting.
- hunters and especially scholars seem to be too weak. I found myself always taking 2 warriors, 2 scouts and 2 doctors in most battles. Hunters do way too little damage even as ranged, and scholars don't do anything useful at all ("expose weakness" and other their abilities are too weak). On the other hand, scouts with their 16 tiles running range are somewhat overpowered.
- for most obstacles in battles (like rocks, trees, barricades) it's never clear if they would block line of fire from tile A to tile B. Very often I expected an obstacle to provide a full cover, but it provided none. Something like "show cover" in JA2 1.13 or Unfinished Business would be helpful vs enemy hunters (though they don't do much damage anyway). Also it's strange that friendly units block straight shots (e.g. a hunter can't shoot right from behind the back of a friendly soldier at the enemy in front).
- you have to pick units without seeing the battle map or what units the enemy has, which basically means that in unusual maps (like e.g. exit from the mine) one has to just re-load the game and take hunters - not much hassle, just feels unfair.
- firing accuracy for doctors and scholars is something like 30% even at 2 tiles range - this feels very unrealistic. I'd expect accuracy to be 100% at 1 tile range for every unit, but the rate at which it falls should be different. E.g. a doctor could have accuracy of 25% at range 5 but hunter still 75%, and hunters doing 2x ranged damage compared to doctors or something.
- doctor's healing and other special abilities don't have particle effects or a special sound.
- in night missions can't see green highlights of tiles (those which show where you can move)
- music is fine overall, but 1 track is very annoying (in the level where you reach your camp in 8 turns)
- the whole traps system - dicourages attacking even more
- a warning must be shown if a unit has no task for camping
- the path calculated for a unit in battle when you tap on a destination ignores enemy zones of control, which leads to units accidentally getting hit by attacks of opportunity - this is very annoying when alternative route was there without triggering AOO which you thought the unit would pick instead. So sometimes you have to move tile-by-tile, that's annoying. Pathfinding should try to avoid ZOCs of enemies and warn the player is no path avoiding AOO is present
- world map shouldn't be affected by texture res setting (too blurred on 1/8 res which I have to use because of my crappy laptop)… Expand
Jun 9, 2013A good game. There's a mix of RPG and turn based strategy elements. Multiple dialogue options with a karma-like system called morale. Overall,A good game. There's a mix of RPG and turn based strategy elements. Multiple dialogue options with a karma-like system called morale. Overall, I enjoyed this game.… Expand
Jun 3, 2013Expeditions: Conquistador is a decently entertaining indie endeavor, but unfortunately suffers from a feeling of being just a little shallow.Expeditions: Conquistador is a decently entertaining indie endeavor, but unfortunately suffers from a feeling of being just a little shallow. The overall concept is a great idea, but is not executed in-depth. Exploration was not exciting and offered little reward for the player. Combat is (uninspired) standard turn-based fare. Some of the redeeming qualities are the initial party creation system, which does give you the opportunity to learn about your crew in some detail, as well as finding your own strengths and weaknesses. The attributes you choose here will potentially impact the rest of your game. For example, choosing a leader with strong leadership and diplomacy but weak tactics may allow the player to talk their way out of violent confrontations, yet leave them vulnerable to ambush situations. Your crew also has specific traits such as proud, pious, cautious, or even racist. A racist and pious crew member may not take kindly to your allowing natives to perform pagan ceremonies and suggest that you exterminate them instead. Your decisions will have impact on many different characters beyond yourself in this manner. There is also some crew member management to put up with (how much do you feed them, what should they do at night), though the system feels a little half-baked and eventually tedious. The story itself is well developed, but is unfortunately buried in walls and walls of text that the vast majority of casual gamers will not be interested in reading.
A truly solid effort, worthy of a high 6's (I'd say 68) score. For the price of a DVD, it's worth checking out and having a few hours of fun with, IF you don't mind lots of reading and a steep learning curve with poor tutorials.… Expand
Jul 29, 2013I really tried to like the game, but I just couldn't. The difficulty is completely off, the game actually has one of the worst cases of earlyI really tried to like the game, but I just couldn't. The difficulty is completely off, the game actually has one of the worst cases of early game hell I've ever seen. Stay away unless you are prepared to get raped hard in the beginning and breeze through the rest of the game.… Expand
- (2 views)
- (128 views)
Awards & Rankings
- By user score