4.9

1. Oct 30, 2020
    can't rebind keys. unacceptable.

also the game is stupid hard from the very first stages... can't beat "Heralia" the Harpy Queen who is like the 8th stage... not fun.

but mostly, keys absolutely need to be rebindable in ANY game
  2. Aug 2, 2020
    It's not fun.
    The game is so boring.
    The characters are not pretty, either.
  3. Aug 4, 2020
    I've been a really huge fan of tactics game since the final fantasy tactics and this has the spirit of it. Since I've been following the development of the game I've found everything to be expected with no huge changes from what I expected. I would consider this a 8/10 but because of the positive effect the game had I increased the score one point for personal enjoyment.
  4. Aug 2, 2020
    It's a good game with a lot of heart and a lot of charm, and I'm already nearly 20 hours in after just a couple of days.

The biggest criticism I have is that it lacks any sort of meaningful customization, so every run will look and feel more or less the same. You can distribute your stats a little differently, but it doesn't change how you play and mainly feels like an afterthought.

You can also choose what summon to bring into a fight, but you're always going to bring the ones with the most obvious advantage on a given map, so again, it won't really change from one playthrough to another.

There are also a decent amount of grammatical errors, but that's life on an indie budget. It doesn't really detract from the experience, which is overall very positive.

The visuals are great--the spritework is really high quality and interesting to look at. The music is also great. I think the FF Tactics Advance/A2 aesthetic, as much as I love it, will hurt some of its first impressions, because it doesn't do the same things that draw people to those games. It's really its own beast, and it has to be played and appreciated without that same expectation looming over it.
  5. Aug 22, 2020
    My initial impression of Fae tactics was that there were a few key things missing that would make the game an enjoyable experience. A recent update has patched out some of the more frustrating design choices (e.g. NPCs falling into water or holes and dying instantly) which I think is probably in the best interests of the game finding its mark amongst more casual players of this genre. FaeMy initial impression of Fae tactics was that there were a few key things missing that would make the game an enjoyable experience. A recent update has patched out some of the more frustrating design choices (e.g. NPCs falling into water or holes and dying instantly) which I think is probably in the best interests of the game finding its mark amongst more casual players of this genre. Fae Tactics combines a Pokemon-like creature collecting and leveling system, with a spell casting system, creating real drama (the good kind of drama) in levels with unlockable spells to be found, collectables to recover, and powerful enemy bosses. Many of the early levels play out like well-tuned puzzles, requiring ample consideration of the rock-paper-scissors style of combat (strengths and weaknesses of foes). The combo, critical and mb (shield) system add interest. One thing I noticed was that I was really rewarded for changing out and trying different monsters in my line-up, rather than say, Pokemon where you can usually end the game with the same six creatures you found from the start. There are some make-or-break scenarios where characters can either be lost forever, or recruited to your team. I wish that I had saved more often - as these choices can be time-limited and resource intensive - I would have happily given up Ragnarok in order to [insert spoiler here]. The music mostly hits the mark, however I found the boss theme did become repetitive. The charming art style was another real draw card for me, when I was struggling with the pre-patched build and wondering if the sudden difficulty spike after the first chapter was worth being patient with. All put together this is an amazing release and I can't wait to see what comes next from this studio. 9/10 Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 2, 2020
    Fae Tactics definitely has its flaws, and the glitches I encountered were about as hard to overcome as the many daunting challenges it presents. However, the fact that I rated it so highly in spite of these limitations is a testament to just how nuanced its gameplay mechanics are and how absolutely thrilling the game can be when the right strategy comes together and everything falls into place. If the game can be successfully patched so that the glitches aren’t an issue anymore, then I would easily recommend this title to SRPG fans looking for an undeniable challenge, since Fae Tactics certainly delivers that.
  2. Aug 20, 2020
    I can’t recommend Fae Tactics enough to those of you out there waiting for Square to take another longform stab at FFT. It may lack the abundance of micro managing you're used to, but the more straight on approach really puts the combat front and center, and I never missed upgrading menial unit equipment or cross classing or the like. Whether the trend catches or not, I can’t say, but don’t miss the truly fresh take on the classic formula.
  3. Aug 17, 2020
    Fae Tactics is not really like other tactical RPGs that I've played, despite sharing a lot of foundational DNA as some of the greats. While other similar games have ended up feeling a fair bit more derivative, Fae Tactics's manages to stand out on pure inventiveness and imaginative structure. A unique narrative framework, distinct focus on summoning mechanics, high level of variety, and smartly-designed challenge makes Fae Tactics a near must-play for fans of tactical RPGs.