7.4

1. Fuz
    Oct 27, 2021
    This game kinda came out of nowhere for me, but it's a really, really good platformer. Simple yet effective: you control Flynn on his quest to blah blah blah, the game is a classic platformer with some brawler mechanics - he starts with a sword and during the game he acquires new weapons and abilities, and combat is mainly focused on dodging the enemies' attacks and counterattack. NothingThis game kinda came out of nowhere for me, but it's a really, really good platformer. Simple yet effective: you control Flynn on his quest to blah blah blah, the game is a classic platformer with some brawler mechanics - he starts with a sword and during the game he acquires new weapons and abilities, and combat is mainly focused on dodging the enemies' attacks and counterattack. Nothing complex, but it works and it's fun. Controls are tight and precise, the game is really a pleasure to play and it's really engaging, I found myself unable to stop playing, "just one more stage" and then it's 3:00 AM. Tons of fun.
    The pixel art is ASTONISHING. It's really beautiful. Detailed, colorful, skillfully animated, very pleasant. Easily one of my favourite indie pixel art of these last years.
    Pet peeves: the dodge-focused combat could have been better, it's often hard to see the "tells" and thus evading, and it's kinda annoying having to dodge all the time even the smallest trash enemies, especially on small platforms.
    Another little thing that bothered me is that you can't rebind a few keys (menu, inventory and the key to skip dialogue) which is quite annoying. Nothing major, but still I don't see any reason not to let us rebind them and have those keys more easily reachable.
    All in all a really good game, I can't wait to play more games from this studio.
  2. Sep 23, 2021
    Average.
    Boss are unappealing and is kind of boring how you repeat the fight against that hooded girl again and again.
  3. Oct 22, 2021
    I finished the game 101%. It was a good game but sometimes I got bored. Graphics and music are not bad. The game has an ordinary story. Combat and. Platforming is not bad but jumping and especially wall jumping could have been done better. Skill tree is not enough. And most skills are useless. Boss fights are good but easy because the fury skill is too strong. Overall it was a good game, II finished the game 101%. It was a good game but sometimes I got bored. Graphics and music are not bad. The game has an ordinary story. Combat and. Platforming is not bad but jumping and especially wall jumping could have been done better. Skill tree is not enough. And most skills are useless. Boss fights are good but easy because the fury skill is too strong. Overall it was a good game, I had a good time. But I wish it was a more diverse game. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's kind of a disappointment. The game doesn't challenge you and turns to be boring in the mid/late game. The animations and the story could be better and the ending doesn't delivery a accomplish feeling, not to mention the 101% doesn't change anything and does not worth (although you can do it easily in about 8 hours). However, the game is smooth. Doesn't shows any crashes and bugs in my experience. Its more like a Donkey Kong game in a Zelda theme than a metroidvania. Perhaps this should be more a game for kids than a hardcore title a player should enjoy (like "Chasm", "Deaths Gambit" or "Blasphemous") Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 17, 2021
    Flynn: Son of Crimson isn’t a game that is going to revolutionize action platformers, but it’s a very solid entry into the genre that offers great combat mechanics, solid platforming, and beautiful pixel art to go along with it. This game is absolutely worth a look for fans of this style.
  2. Oct 25, 2021
    Flynn: Son of Crimson is a beautiful looking and great sounding platformer game is a must-play title that gives you a powerful and cute wolf companion. This title does not have an auto-save feature so keep that in mind.
  3. Sep 17, 2021
    All in all, Flynn: Son of Crimson is a fun and short adventure that’s pleasing to look at with a story that doesn’t get in its way. While it never quite hits the highs of Shovel Knight my time with it was pleasant, if a little too breezy at times. If you’re in need of a beautiful but short 2D adventure, spending an afternoon with your pal Dex to set the world right is an easy recommendation to make.