• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 2, 2018
6.4

1. Dec 8, 2018
    Old poor match engine. Or rather I should say worse than ever because I remember times when there was in FM a possession football, some passes inside the penalty box, not so many nonsense panic shots and blocked crosses. Maybe it wil improve slightly with patches (I mean the last one in March) but don't expect much. Such poor match enigne makes all these nice tools in match analysis almostOld poor match engine. Or rather I should say worse than ever because I remember times when there was in FM a possession football, some passes inside the penalty box, not so many nonsense panic shots and blocked crosses. Maybe it wil improve slightly with patches (I mean the last one in March) but don't expect much. Such poor match enigne makes all these nice tools in match analysis almost completely useless.
    Tactics sucks, very few options to tweak your game plan, you can't effectively order your attacking players to get back and press the opponent, it's such a rigid unrealistic tactical management, it's only about general shape of the whole team and some special treats of your players.
    Also as mentioned by others, poor unrealistic transfer market, poor AI, many boring old features like answearing thousand times same questions for media.
    Finally trening looks like it make sense, but you can't really say that before playing few seasons, and there is nothing in this game to make you want to play that long.
  2. Feb 9, 2019
    They really are phoning this game in now and have been for some time. clunky and slow even on a beast of a PC. terrible layout, same same
  3. May 26, 2019
    this game is soo bad...worst fm ever...soo unreal,,,definetly last fm i buy
  4. Aug 1, 2019
    Just a reskin like some people have said, except in some ways the engine is actually getting worse and less and less realistic. Absolutely terrible.
  5. Nov 8, 2018
    nothing new. pretty much the same game every year.
    miss the good old Cm2001
  6. Nov 5, 2018
    Yearly release cycles are ludicrous for this game. I only buy a version of it once every 3 or 4 years. Frankly the game is getting too complicated for its own good, playing FM is more like having a second job now than a relaxing diversion.
  7. Nov 2, 2018
    Football Manager has radically changed my way of buying games in recent years. Worse. Because I don't trust the developers anymore.

In FM 2019 they have improved training and tactics (just the layout, honestly) but left out many other problems accumulated over the last 5 years. Some of them really very boring. AI is still far behind (this is why I'm not convinced at all by the tactics change). The negotiations, the relations with the media and the players, remains all boring. For example: once again it will be useless to identify the potential star playing in an unknown league, because it will cost you more than Ronaldo.

So, yes, it's something more than the usual database update, which we were used to, but not at this price. You will read positive reviews from those who bought it at 20-30 euros. For 20 euros I would have spoken very well of it too, for 55 not. For 55 is a refund.

My advice is: don't buy it if you bought FM 2018. Or wait for the next sales.
  8. Jan 18, 2019
    You can still get a lot of mileage out of the older games for a fraction of the price; it's still just the same re-skin. Better yet if you want a realistic management sim where actual prizes are at stake, sign up for a Fantasy Football season and get a real taste of it.
  9. Jan 24, 2019
    I really don't understand why do people buy the same game every year. No real changes, it is still the basic football manager. If you like this genre, you can play the old versions and you do not loose anything.
  10. Nov 6, 2019
    Late review for the life of FM 2019 but thought I'd write fore people before they buy FM20. Basically bought after not having bought since 2015. It's a great looking game, and a lot of stuff is really good - tactics, training, the stats, visualisations, analysis, etc.
    BUT - unknown players cost a fortune. Negotiations, player interaction, press interaction all gets boring and samey. But WORST of all - the MATCH ENGINE. It's terrible. EPL matches rarely see over 20 shots - I regularly get 30+, 40+, 50+ and can't score, and I draw or lose. You get a feel for the games you know you'll lose and as I read in another review - it's a puzzle game, where the solution is to optimise the number that dictates whether you'll win or lose - It feels very much like that. It's not that realistic.

That's not to say it isn't fun. It is - but SI have never managed to solve that problem in their coding.

It's also clunky - particularly player searches, which are slow.
  11. Jan 16, 2020
    Spent hours only to manage to go through the complicated GUI. Useless info everywhere, annoying game, huge disappointment.
    There is no intuitive gameplay.
    Feels like there was no project manager for it.
    Huge disappointment for a management/simulation fan.
    I miss the good days of the older FM and/or the defunct FIFA Manager :(

1. Mar 5, 2019
    A lot of new possibilities and features, new and improved UI, and good old contagious gameplay.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    The most player-friendly edition of the Football Manager, which, unfortunately, can bore the veterans of the series with its slow evolution. [Issue#291]
  3. Dec 6, 2018
    If you’re a die-hard football fan but also a lover of the behind the scene workings of football, this is a game that will give you all of that to your heart's content. For the rest of us football fans, I’d suggest sticking to the latest iteration of FIFA.