7.2

1. Dec 19, 2019
    It's pretty much everything you'd expect from a Metroid game; it’s got the alien planet, the open-world structure, the power ups, the in-depth movement and so on. What this game has however that Metroid doesn't, is cats. That's very important.

Gato Roboto has many similarities to the Metroid games, I feel like I can say that without having to explain myself at this point, it's a pretty well-known type of game. But instead of feeling like a copy-cat, Gato Roboto instead makes some clever little changes and additions to make itself feel like more a hyper-charged little homage to the Metroid series instead. Instead of having limited missiles, your missiles run on a short cool-down timer keeping the game as fast as possible, you have a double jump which lets you bounce off enemies to perform additional jumps which makes for some great platforming moments and lets you absolutely cruise through some enemy-filled rooms once you’re proficient using it, and you can perform a dash on the ground or in the air to pass through dangerous obstacles and enemies. All of these changes put an emphasis on speed and movement, and you end up getting a game which feels like Metroid with twice the speed and half the time to play.
    The biggest defining mechanic is the ability to leave your mech, while out of the mech you die in one hit, can climb walls and can fit into tight spaces. This makes for some interesting combat encounters and spices up the movement and exploration of the game.

The narrative although simple and cute is very effective and fun, all of the characters are memorable and well written, and there's plenty of great moments where the writing shines - it never overstays its welcome either which is nice, it doesn't try TOO hard to be funny unlike so many other indie games. A stand out feature has to be its music, which half the time sound more like house and electronic music than it does your typical spooky ambient music and soundtrack. The music gets you amped and in the zone, whereas Metroid’s music is usually trying to build a heavy and mysterious atmosphere.

Again, this game is speed Metroid with cats. It’s simple, it’s short. If you like Metroid you’ll like this game. It’s got crazy boss fights, great movement and tight controls, great music and writing, and a gives you a lot of ways to improve at the game. It's not a genre-defining masterpiece, it knows exactly what it wants to be and it does it well, the game is great and it's definitely worth the small asking price. The game is about three hours give or take, I reckon it would take about four hours first time through if you went for 100% without looking at a guide. It’s a very short game, but it has an emphasis on speed-running obviously as well as some well hidden secrets, so if that’s your scene then you’ll love this game. There’s no new-game+ or alternative game modes of any sorts, so if you don’t like replaying games, just know that you’re in for a short experience if you pick this game up.
  2. Oct 9, 2019
    Un metroidvania muy entretenido ,dentro de su simpleza esconde un buen apartado artístico .
  3. Jun 28, 2019
    PERFECCIÓN dura 5 horas pero vale cada centavo gastado,Si te gusta megaman o metroid te encantará este juego.
  4. Jun 4, 2019
    I love it! It's simple, cute, funny and HAVE A CAT!!!
    It's very short (4 hours) and it's very easy, but it's cool.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 8, 2019
    Gato Roboto is a metroidvania with lots of references to the games it was inspired by, but at times it also feels just as unfriendly and inconvenient as some of those classics do today. It’s also much more difficult than you would expect from a game that stars a cute cat in mech armor, but it’s well worth it if you’re up for the challenge.
  2. Jun 21, 2019
    Gato Roboto is a great game that is designed well. I just wish there was more. This better not be the last we see of Kiki. I could definitely have spent another three or more hours in the world of this Gato Roboto. I hope if a sequel comes around we get to see some different mech types and some more power ups, but for $8 I have to recommend this game. It’s bite-sized Metroid and that is the highest of compliments I can give.
  3. Jun 17, 2019
    Without ever excelling or innovating in any element of his design, Gato Roboto proves to be a cohesive and immediate experience.