6.3

1. Jun 24, 2014
    So CodeMasters kept telling us they´ve listened to players feedback after the pile of crap Grid 2 was, and they were going to develop something to make a triumphal comeback to the driving genre...

Well, alas Grid Autosport is not that promised mesias. The return of cockpit view is an absolute joke! They give you the promised inside the car perspective but is so blurry that is

Well, alas Grid Autosport is not that promised mesias.

The return of cockpit view is an absolute joke! They give you the promised inside the car perspective but is so blurry that is distracting, with no functional panel displays. This yells LAZINESS from the developers. Go to youtube and watch comparisons between THIS and the original Grid to see what I am talking about.

Now the AI... how is that QA let this go into the final product? It is not agressive, is CHEAP! Every single turn they smash you as if they were a whole team against you and none else.

Graphics are ok, but the engine sounds are the worse I´ve listened to in a while. I now understand why they refused to develop this for nextgen consoles, it is just an average game that does not help to forget the Grid 2 fiasco.

Codemasters is becoming the EA of driving games, lying and overhyping their games and releasing a mediocre product trusting on heavy marketing.

And we still have to see how much paid DLC they pretend to sell. I took my copy back to the store and got a refund, I´ll only play it if I can get it for free as a Playstation Plus member just as I did with Grid 2.

Save your money and your hopes, if you are a real racing fan and want Codemaster to stop BS us, don´t buy this game.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    Don't buy this game! Codemasters just spit on Grid fans AGAIN. Blurry cockpit view with pathetic engine sounds and **** physics! No thanks. If you are a PC user try Raceroom Racing Experience on Steam. It's free and it's good!
  3. Jun 24, 2014
    Where to start...and keep in mind this is based on my singleplayer experience.

Where to start...and keep in mind this is based on my singleplayer experience.

The driving is awful. The cars wallow all over the place, they don't grip in turns, yet you have to break at sim-like distances--meanwhile the AI's only goal is, seemingly, to wreck you at every opportunity, or at least shove you off the track or into the nearest barrier. They will honest-to-god plow into you at the startline if they can. It's like multiplayer with twelve-year-olds.

The cockpit cam is pathetic. It's worse than the Grid 2 mod.

No team of your own, no personal livery, no stable full of cars--just mercenarily jumping from sponsor to sponsor and racing whatever they have for you.

The only reason I'll give this anything but a zero is that it looks very nice, all things considered, and has a pretty interesting car list--that I will never fully get to experience because of the godawful nature of the basic game.

Thanks, Codies. You really listened.
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    AI sucks :P is like the Dirt Showdown AI on a simulator race game... they just hit you out of the track. I think this game *can* be good to those who like simulator games BUT with a crazy AI xD... I prefer the original Grid.
  5. Sep 27, 2014
    The driving in this game is ok, its not particularly fun but it does the job as long as you have the proper settings. I found that driving with a controller is better than driving with a wheel. The best thing that I like about this game is how your able to practice before a race and how your able to qualify instead of automatically starting in last place. That being said everything elseThe driving in this game is ok, its not particularly fun but it does the job as long as you have the proper settings. I found that driving with a controller is better than driving with a wheel. The best thing that I like about this game is how your able to practice before a race and how your able to qualify instead of automatically starting in last place. That being said everything else about this game is either bad or sub par, the worst of which is the campaign. Their is absolutely no sense of progress, you just do races to unlock more races and you don't even buy or upgrade your cars, you just get to pick between two sponsors (pick whichever has the prettier advertising mostly). I hope this review has helped, if you can get the game for 15$ or less than it might be worth it otherwise no it just isn't Expand
  6. Aug 17, 2014
    Like many others I was a huge fan of the original GRID. Like many other I thought Grid 2 was a huge misstep. Like many others I think this is even worse. Welcome to the new era of annual releases packed with day 1 DLC. I definitely do not recommend this game.

The career is a farce, in my opinion. You don't progress or improve so much as you simply pick a new team in between every race, and drive a borrowed car. There's no sense of ownership in your accomplishments; the online is no better.

Don't listen to what Codemasters says about listening to the community. It's all nonsense. The cars handle the same as G2, the career is infinitely more bland, the AI still attempts to kill you at every turn, and the online has no accountable match making system.

My advice would be to simply re-play GRID 1. It's still the superior experience.

A waste, and a squandered opportunity. This will be my last Codemasters racing game purchase for a long time. They've got a lot of work to do to earn my trust back.
  7. Oct 22, 2014
    Terrible A.I all they do is spend most of the time driving into you even if you give them loads of space they just drive into you, I play mostly racing games and if you wan't my opinion play Asseto Corsa if your looking for something more of a simulation, even in its current state is still plays better than Autosport and its rip off DLC model. This game is no way like Toca(I still playTerrible A.I all they do is spend most of the time driving into you even if you give them loads of space they just drive into you, I play mostly racing games and if you wan't my opinion play Asseto Corsa if your looking for something more of a simulation, even in its current state is still plays better than Autosport and its rip off DLC model. This game is no way like Toca(I still play Toca) or any kind of sim, Just another generic piece of codemasters crap with lots of over priced DLC, the Grid series has become the COD of racing games and I wont be buying anymore of their racing games. Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2014
    Do not buy this piece of crap. It has nothing good. Physics is awful, graphics too, gameplay - nope.
    First Grid was almost perfect. And this one is bad at all aspects.
  9. Jul 3, 2014
    Complete garbage, doesn't live up to the expectations, again. The handling isn't anything like it was in the original GRID, it's way too slippy. The graphics are okay, but the damage models suck, even compared to GRID 1. CodeMasters let us down, again.
  10. Jun 30, 2014
    I've played the first Grid and it was amazing, and the second Grid and it was much better, and then...and then Codemasters took a big, fat, almighty dump on my intelligence and produced this utter shambolic experience.

I'm sorry but whoever says this game is seriously a major improvement from the (IMO) better predecessor, then they are either completely blind, are hardcore driving sim players (in which case, WHY GRID!? Hardly up there as the most realistic!), or are just very new to critique on games.

So here's what's missing and what's notable in Grid Autosport.

What's missing should be glaringly obvious, and it saddens me because for me, part of the whole joy in racing games is the ability to customize the cars. Give it sponsor vinyls, give it tinted windscreen, give it different paint colours. All that stuff? GONE. NADA. ZIP. NULL POINT. ZERO. Absolutely SWEET FA.
    This is why I lost faith in the EA NFS series, they did the SAME DAMN THING and the series went right the way downhill for me. I was all for racing and stuff, but if you ask me, customization ADDS not necessarily to the experience but definitely to the gameplay. It adds a tiny bit of variety to the game. And they shot that to hell. Bye bye garage, bye bye paint jobs, bye bye customization. All gone.

Then there's the driving assists. With those turned ON, every - EVERY - car handles like a goddamn Sherman tank. Forget drifting - oh and that's another one - drifting is like you may as well just stop at each corner and struggle to regain control of the car as you TRY to drive in any particular direction YOU want to drive in.
    The drift mechanics of GRID *completely* escapes me. In normal races you can comfortably drift all damn day around every single corner, but as soon as you get to a drift event, out comes the skidpan track and you can kiss any hope and notion of drifting in the same way good-bloody-bye.
    The best drift mechanics I ever saw was the simplest which was in the NFS series back in the second underground, and not one game has been released using those very same mechanics and it's annoying as hell.
    Where was I? Oh yes Drifting with driving assists, forget it. Driving assists for newcomers or people who use keyboards, you're just going to struggle like hell playing this game.

Codemasters appears to have taken a very, oh so very equipped-with-stilts step backwards on this, and just basically made the whole thing harder, regardless of what playing level you are at.
    So beginners and casual players, stay the hell away from this one, or don't say I didn't warn you.

Those familiar with the Grid franchise, prepare to either be impressed with the simplicity of the menu system, and the very minimalist look and feel of the front-end of the game, or utterly disappointed - like I was - with the very bland look of it, with very little variation to speak of, it lacks where it needs more, and has more where it didn't need it.

I was hoping to see a very well produced first person cockpit view, but instead I may as well have been drunk in reverse, because although you can see the road you cannot see a damn thing inside the car. This is utterly pointless and the reasons for making it this way completely escapes me, not to mention it looks REALLY **** What you do see is some SERIOUSLY blurred hands on a *seriously* blurred steering wheel in a *seriously* narrow windscreen, you may as well *seriously* have been in a tank......seriously.

Now you'd think by all this that I was a newbie and very new to Codemaster's previous efforts in the racing genre for which they are VERY popular, given the rally games and the F1 games they've released in the past (the F1 games being the best of them thus far if this game is anything to go by - glitches and all!), but no, I've tried assisted and unassisted and the whole thing just has me oozing disappointment out of my ears.

This is no good racing game, and by far and away THE worst effort I have EVER wasted my money on as far as Codemasters is concerned.

Codemasters....I honestly expected much better from you than this.

Making this kind of multi-genre racing game lack some of the features it had before destroyed it - and with unbelievably overpowering assistance available, it takes the joy out of the game, and without them it's still just as disappointing.

A big fat booo! Codemasters needs to REALLY up the game, bring back some of the features that were present before in Grid 2, and ditch, for the love of God, that **** cockpit view or make it CLEARER and more detailed. The way it was presented in this game hinted at nothing but laziness in all fairness, and that was a large let down.

And APPLES22, your review is your review, but don't dare mention it like it's for people who've done motorsports before, Nigel Mansell would **** all over you - because he was (A) a Formula One champ, (B) An Indycar and Touring Car driver and you know something? HE HATES THESE GAMES - YOU'LL SEE IT IN HIS BOOK!
  11. Aug 31, 2014
    Codemasters managed to ruin another of their own racing franchises.

Codemasters managed to ruin another of their own racing franchises.

Those who bought GRID 2 don't need to even think about purchasing GRID Autosport, because it's the same game. Same tracks, same cars, same ♥♥♥♥ty handling. Not any major improvement. Really, it's the same game, rehashed with a different user interface and progression system, and now with a cockpit view that's nothing short of laughable.

If you never played any game from GRID series, it's OK to try this one, maybe you'll have some hours of fun. But if you played GRID 2 and especially the first GRID, don't bother getting this, really. I got it with a 50% discount price and I still feel myself scammed.
  12. Jul 12, 2014
    Boring, very boring...and why we need view from cabin? No graphics there, only blur. Worst game in GRID series.

I spent about 30 hours playing this game and It feels like codemaster dont care about quality of their products...first grid was awesome...it was interesting to play, it has big compaing, you can create your own team, but in motosports you can only choose the race and...race. No challenge.
  13. Jun 26, 2014
    Metacritic is already a joke due to gross and rampant rating abuse. Just look at those who gave max rating: accounts with only three ratings, this game on three different platforms. Anyway, this game is a solid five out of ten but I chip in with a 1 to counteract rating abuse.
  14. Aug 31, 2014
    The controls and way the car handles are complete RUBBISH!!! DO NOT BUY, its terrible. The developers should have followed the mechanics of the first GRID game, but no, they had to screw everything up. The car tends to slow down to a crawl, automatically, when you try to round corners. After playing with almost all of the options I realized its an in game mechanic, not something that canThe controls and way the car handles are complete RUBBISH!!! DO NOT BUY, its terrible. The developers should have followed the mechanics of the first GRID game, but no, they had to screw everything up. The car tends to slow down to a crawl, automatically, when you try to round corners. After playing with almost all of the options I realized its an in game mechanic, not something that can be changed... I should have complete control over how I want to handle corners. It reduces the speed to around 45 mph to turn corners. Just... NO, the developers screwed up, do not buy, its bad! Expand
  15. Sep 13, 2014
    The game graphics are really good (I'm playing it on ultra) but There is no exit button when you enter a season challenge! If you want to play for 5-10 minutes on season mode, then you are gonna regret it cause once you enter a challenge you have to finish ALL the events/races( plus the qualification rounds to get a higher spot than last place) and that takes time.I don't know what happensThe game graphics are really good (I'm playing it on ultra) but There is no exit button when you enter a season challenge! If you want to play for 5-10 minutes on season mode, then you are gonna regret it cause once you enter a challenge you have to finish ALL the events/races( plus the qualification rounds to get a higher spot than last place) and that takes time.I don't know what happens on easy mode but at least on medium mode the only way to pass the opposing cars is by hitting them on the sides when they break because of a turn. On straight road they gain insane speed and you can't catch up to them even when they break for 1-2 seconds and you hard press the gas button it's like you don't gain meters at all. When they hit you by the sides, you get out of track, when you hit them by the sides you get out of track. On the starting line when you wait for the count down, it doesn't matter what number you are, they are gonna pass you like they were already running when you were waiting to start. You can't even pass them when they leave the track themselves and go to the grass or dirt. There are some tracks that the good old "wall and gas" need for speed underground style works just fine.
    I'm just glad I didn't spend 50 euros to buy this game because I got it free from purchasing an i7 cpu.
  16. Nov 15, 2014
    It's a farce after 800 hours of playing this game there are two major problems, you cannot own all the cars because of a limitation of the developement engine, and worse still slaving to upgrade the cars is a waste of time because UPGRADES DO NOT WORK. Over level 250 you are not able to buy any more cars because the database can't handle the number of cars so you can only buy 3/4's ofIt's a farce after 800 hours of playing this game there are two major problems, you cannot own all the cars because of a limitation of the developement engine, and worse still slaving to upgrade the cars is a waste of time because UPGRADES DO NOT WORK. Over level 250 you are not able to buy any more cars because the database can't handle the number of cars so you can only buy 3/4's of them. Spend hours and millions developing the cars you do own and the UPGRADES do not add 1mph/1.6kph to the performance of the cars. Shame on you Codemasters, promising features you cannot deliver. Five months of waiting for you to fix the upgrades and all we get is:

From CM representative.
    "As for levels and garage slots, the reason garage slots are capped as they are is down to technical reasons, in particular it revolves around the stability of the game. As each and every car is its own entity this starts to create a lot of data (especially in save files) which once it hits a certain point begins to have negative effects on the game."

"In the future we're hoping we won't be so bound by tech, and with new engines being worked on I'm quietly confident this will be the case."

As for Upgrades:
    Edit: It's worth noting as well that the effects of upgrades are marginal, you're not going to see huge performance gains.

That last statement is a joke, there is ZERO difference to upgraded or basic cars. But note CM do not admit they are a waste of space.

Shame on you Codemasters you have had the last of my money I won't even bother going into all the other bugs and features that dont work in this game.

Don't part with your money the promises are empty you will not get what you paid for.
    DR ZOOM
  17. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is like heroin - with all the bad side effects.

While I enjoyed the Open Wheel category and - to an extent - the Street category, and I'm very happy to see that they've finally added qualifying to some categories (but not all), I'm extremely disappointed in the AI and the inability to ever be able to launch off the line like the Ravenwest cars. Here's my dislikes: 1) In
    This game is like heroin - with all the bad side effects.

Here's my dislikes:

1) In order to progress to the championships, you have to futz along in a discipline that really doesn't belong in racing games - drift.

2) I can't build my own team, decide the livery, or pick and choose my own cars.

3) The cockpit view is pretty much useless if you want any information.

4) Extra difficulty points for turning off the HUD? Really?

5) Oh, and let's not forget about the "Penalty: You went over the white lines" crap. It's inconsistent which corners (or straights in some cases) will trigger this penalty for you (but not the AI).

6) The worst is the AI - Do you like being blocked at every pass attempt? Do you like being taken out at every corner? This game is for you!

The things I did like about this game:

1) Some of the tracks are a whole lot of fun to drive.

2) Some of the graphics are nice.

... and that's about it.

Save your money and skip this one. Codemasters has decided that they need to include drifting in all of their games save the F1 franchise, and I'm sure that if they could, they'd find some way to include drift in the next F1 release.
  18. Jun 27, 2014
    Few things to look on "who" is reviewing the game.
    I have so far 25 hours played on this game, 98% of it on-line. Use G25 wheel and have been playing driving games for long time. Do not like arcade games. I am more into simulation.
    Its a great game.!!! Who is saying that is not..played it for few minutes or use keyboard or have no f* clue what he is talking about. Graphics is 10.
    Few things to look on "who" is reviewing the game.

Graphics is 10. Come on..tell me 1 driving game that have better graphics than this one.

Sound is 8.5

Physics 9. It's a pretty complex game and as you drive it you realize how wheel done things are.

Multiplayer is 10 for the experience and I would give a 6 for the way you find players. Again on auto server you cant see the servers and pic what you want.

So far so good.!

Enjoy the game and hope to see you there!
  19. Jun 26, 2014
    Game looks good, but handling is weard and most important it has got problems with many wheel support. The previous games had better support. TOCA is still better!
  20. Jun 28, 2014
    The last Codemasters game I will ever buy. They tried to recover the absolute fail that GRID 2 was, making a game more concerned on proper auto racing. The problem is that the gameplay is still **** no realism and no feeling at all with any car, just awesome graphic. Maybe that's the only thing that counts for many gamer in 2014, but not for me. I want to race, not to look at the environment.
  21. Jun 26, 2014
    Perhaps you have to be more of a hardcore race gamer to really enjoy this. I am more in the open world free roamer race category. I really got this just because it was said to be a good benchmarking tool.

Eh? Someone lead me astray there. A single Titan GPU easily runs this on ultra (not tried 4k res yet only 2560x1440) with ok frame rates (90-100). SLI profile due in a future driver release shortly apparently.

Frankly, they needn't bother, it just does not look good enough to be the benchmark, graphical test I thought it would be.

Game wise I found it pretty boring but as I said I am not a purist race gamer. I owned one of the cars featured in the game and it felt nothing like so much fun in the game itself. The early game cars seem to wallow around the corners more like a cheap family saloon than race ready vehicles.

So if like me you thought you were buying a "state of the art" race genre game to see what state of the art looks like.this isn't it. Maybe one for die hard racers than want a no frills gaming experience with the emphasis on competition and going around and around a limited number of track endlessly then this is your game.

Hard for me to rate this as it is miles from what I hoped for and I know that this sort of game is not aimed at a niche I am in. However, I would have thought it would have at least been entertaining for an hour. It wasn't, it was just repetitive. The fun of driving at high speed doesn't come through when driving around the track repetitively. On some tracks evens the scenery is limited and boring. It is just not good enough to appeal to enough people. I will persevere a little more through some modes but I suspect it will be uninstalled quite shortly. The time I spent trying to like this game was time better spent playing through something a little less lifeless.

Agree with other comments about Engine sounds. Sounded about as dull and lifeless as the game looks and plays. They seem to have spent a fair bit of time modelling the look of the vehicles with some great detail on the cars (but by no means spectacular). On the other hand, this is pretty pointless if the game is so dull you cant be arsed to get in one and drive.
  22. Jun 27, 2014
    avoid this game, boring as hell..... grid 2 more realistic and alot more fun
    who wants to race mini's no reason for the car to turn so slow at such low speeds
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    Bad game! Very boring. It feels like we are still in 2004... The graphics inside the cars are terrible. The physics are terrible. The sounds are terrible. Just don't waste your money! GRID 2 was so much better than this crap...
  24. Jan 13, 2015
    This game is a **** The circuits are so ugly, single play is really boring, and in multiplay is worse. This game is really expensive, and so poor. The sensation to control the cars, is really **** If you wanna a nice car game, simulation, or arcade, buy another one, because this is a crap.
  25. Jul 20, 2016
    First of all I am fun of simulators. Recomended for Arcade funs, not recomended for SIMULATORS FUNS.
    In many reviews I was reading that TOCA Race Driver 3 (2006) is coming back (TOCA 2 and Race Driver3 2006 where the best sim games what codemasters made - driving phisics. In TOCA RC3 you need to switch on "gravel traps" and other stuff there to get realy good driving modeling, without this is DAMMED ARCADE). In gird I thought that if I will switch off all assists game will be demanding and will have good driving model. IT IS NOT. It is realy arcade, but only ine connection with old TOCARC3 what I can see is big range of car, races eetc.
    I will bet if dirt rally programmers team would do GIRD Autosport, then it would be much better, because Dirt Rally is quite good not easy game. Where you can feel that you are driving 1,5 ton car not the paper box.

AI and race driving tactics are focused not on tactical overtaking and knowledge but on quite brutal driving style, what can confirm for example setups for second team driver (defend-he will push cars from track when somebody will try to overtake, Attack-better not to tell...hell).
    So game AI are not so smart in smooth nice tactical driving like it was in RC3 or TOCA2, its always better to push somebody out of the track. In old good RC3 you and AI were getting penalities and warnings for cuting the track and agresive driving

Climat:
    In my opinion from codemasters the best climat was in TOCA 2 and RC3, because to make good lap time you needed to drive 500laps on one trackto learn everything, so during the race time where opponents were siting on your tail you could feel higher blood pressure because you knew that one....only onle mistake will cost of loosing all points. And more over driving model was not easy and on hard mode every cars were siting on bumpers so close to each other, it was very
    stresful - but this is the climat of closed track racing....

I have hope that finaly Codemaster will make good game on Turning Cars Topic and GTRs with good driving morel. I think that after of big succes of Dirt Rally Codemasters has understood that the game can not be easy, more difficult game gives you more satisfaction when you will pass/win something. This is Dirt Rally....now waiting for asphalt racing....because autosport is not for me.
  26. Mar 18, 2017
    Awful, awful driving experience. It's not even a matter of the game being "arcade", it's just that a touring car handles like a heavy executive sedan on roids.
    The steering manages to be both too direct and terribly unresponsive: the car swerves all over the track, while the AI doesn't miss a single opportunity to ram you from behind.
    Breaking and acceleration feel as smooth as one of
    Breaking and acceleration feel as smooth as one of those underwater levels on old 2D platformers...

The most disappointing and frustrating driving experience in recent memory. Zero sense of accomplishment and immersion because the cars feel like something completely different than any other game, arcade or simulation.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 35 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 3, 2014
    The latest GRID entry delivers decent and semi-realistic racing, but the game seems to suffer from lack of all-important polish. Monotonic career mode, blurred cockpits and pretty narrow race options (no rain?) are the biggest issues for me. [Aug 2014]
  2. CD-Action
    Aug 25, 2014
    Autosport tries hard to bring back the glory of the first GRID (e.g. the cockpit cam returns) but the career mode was designed horribly, the game engine is aging and the whole thing lacks a spark. [08/2014, p.66]
  3. Aug 6, 2014
    A pretty fun racing title, but in the pursuit of addressing every bit of feedback after Grid 2, Codemasters hasn't delivered the most cohesive experience. You still need to endure some of the disciplines that you may not like in order to progress through the career, and the two cockpit cameras feel more like a fan-made mod than something devised by the developer itself. Throw in the erratic AI and you might get annoyed quite a few times while playing Autosport.