5.0

1. Jul 17, 2015
    The magic of the game wears off very fast. I couldn't bring myself to play passed the first dungeon. The major thing that got me down was that the character level resets after every dungeon. Not my thing unless the gameplay was just so fantastic to make up for lack of true progression in anything other than the storyline, but the gameplay is slow and boring. Really the only gameplay hereThe magic of the game wears off very fast. I couldn't bring myself to play passed the first dungeon. The major thing that got me down was that the character level resets after every dungeon. Not my thing unless the gameplay was just so fantastic to make up for lack of true progression in anything other than the storyline, but the gameplay is slow and boring. Really the only gameplay here is picking a card to place on the map and then clicking an ability card. There's really not much thinking or strategy involved. The game also plays very slow because of the animations that happen with every card shuffle for every turn. I feel like I could play the game 4 times faster than it lets me play and it's aggravating.
    i guess if you really love roguelikes, go for it.
  2. Nov 5, 2015
    Well, the game started off fun but, then it turned into a crashing nightmare and a puzzle game. When it was just dungeon running it was fun but they put in 2nd grade do this before the time runs out quests to do and you can't advance until you complete them. Which some could take longer than a normal dungeon run to do because if you don't get certain tiles at a certain time you can'tWell, the game started off fun but, then it turned into a crashing nightmare and a puzzle game. When it was just dungeon running it was fun but they put in 2nd grade do this before the time runs out quests to do and you can't advance until you complete them. Which some could take longer than a normal dungeon run to do because if you don't get certain tiles at a certain time you can't complete the quest and have to start all over again. Really silly design there.

I do not recommend the game unless you like childish crap like that. It was advertised as a dungeon game not a lesson in puzzle solving. It should be under the category of puzzles on Steam as that is what it turned out to be and not a role playing game.
  3. Nov 7, 2015
    My rating for this is going to be a rather harsh ZERO because that's about how much enjoyment I got out of it. Okay, I won't lie, I did enjoy the game for a few minutes. But there is no actual character progression or incentive to do quests other than upgrading your hideout by adding a bunch of poorly drawn square tiles onto the sides that will spawn more types of adventurers.

What

What really irked me about this game is after I spent the max amount of time in a dungeon killing every enemy I could and leveling up my adventurer, he lost all his levels and extra cards that I had acquired for him, starting over at level 1 at the beginning of the next dungeon. What's the point of leveling up if their level resets every dungeon and they lose all their cards?

If this game would have had more persistent characters that kept their levels after completing dungeons I feel it would have went a lot farther. The dialogue and music aren't bad, there are plenty of cheesy puns. The game play is shallow though, without real character progression and an infinite number of stand-ins lined up for when one of your adventurers dies. Death has no meaning, there are no real spoils of victory, and your characters won't get any stronger. It misses the mark completely when it comes to being a tabletop RPG simulator.
  4. Jul 18, 2015
    There is zero progression in this game, it is not a dungeon crawler.

This is an rng card game that turns into the the biggest grinder since ddo, the only way to get ahead is to grind gold, which gives some upgrade guild options, but youll hate that all your characters start as weaponlesss weaklings every dungeon.
  5. Aug 5, 2015
    This game had so much promise when I picked it up. I loved the art style and the game mechanics. However, I quickly realized that this game is unforgiving with its rising difficulty. There are only a handful of stages that your initial and Tier 1 classes can complete before you get stuck having to grind 500 gold for Tier 2 classes. When your worst case scenario on a stage is 2 gold andThis game had so much promise when I picked it up. I loved the art style and the game mechanics. However, I quickly realized that this game is unforgiving with its rising difficulty. There are only a handful of stages that your initial and Tier 1 classes can complete before you get stuck having to grind 500 gold for Tier 2 classes. When your worst case scenario on a stage is 2 gold and your best is in the 30 range, this quickly turns this game from fun to aggravating.

As there is no stage replaying in the game, once you are done, you are done and there is no reason to pick the game back up again. Best to skip the game in the first place and pick up something that will last longer in the long run.
  6. Dec 20, 2015
    This game was great when first released. Nice for a fast, stress free diversion from more serious games. With the latest 1.05 patch, mechanics were introduced which totally destroyed the flavor of the game. With permanent negative effects, and inability to play your class without delays, the game is now an exercise in frustration. Might as well play Darkest Dungeon if that is the sortThis game was great when first released. Nice for a fast, stress free diversion from more serious games. With the latest 1.05 patch, mechanics were introduced which totally destroyed the flavor of the game. With permanent negative effects, and inability to play your class without delays, the game is now an exercise in frustration. Might as well play Darkest Dungeon if that is the sort of mechanics that are desired, DD is a much better game at doing that sort of thing. Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

The biggest issue with Guild of Dungeoneering is that the gameplay never really evolves. Your deck of cards does grow and you'll get new and better cards, but the overall experience in hour two really is not all that different from hour ten.
  2. CD-Action
    Oct 17, 2015
    For every “this game is stupid, I’m not playing it ever again” there was “OK, just one more time”. [10/2015, p.62]
  3. Oct 11, 2015
    I do wish there was a better deck-building mechanism and it could certainly use more character-progression—anything to lessen the random-numbers game (RNG) and increase player agency. Anything, also, to give it more longevity. Even a multiplayer mode would help give this game more substance. But as a simple pick-up game? It works.