7.3

1. Sep 22, 2017
    Path of Fire reminds us of what MMORPGs are all about. Exploration, discovery and joy. It takes us out of the dungeons and into a diverse, exciting and challenging world.

Mounts are designed to be the main feature and it shows. Each mount is unique and maps are designed specifically with their strengths and weaknesses in mind. Swapping between them is a joy and as you unlock their abilities, you discover new places you can reach.

The maps are filled to the brim with locations to explore and enemies to fight. Diverse combinations of enemies can pose varying risks depending on your skill choices and some are their own little puzzle.

Path of Fire unlocks the joy within a game that was already vastly improved under new design direction and marks what I can only hope is a golden age ahead. Now is the time to dive headlong into the world of Tyria. TO VABBI!

2. Nov 14, 2017
    I am surprised Path of Fire got such a high metacritic rating. in Player Vs Environment, i ran out of things to do after about 2 weeks playing the expansion.

Unfortunately, the expansion also broke my favorite game mode (World vs World - large scale PVP) with terrible class balance so i have no refuge. The latest patch didn't address these issues so i guess it's not a priority for the developers.

Visually - the game looks like any other decent MMO. I found the story a little incoherent. The combat system is pretty engaging (apart from the recent gamebreaking lapse in class balance) .

I understand there's also some angst regarding microtransactions recently.

I would advise to wait for the next living story release and patch before purchasing.
  3. Nov 20, 2017
    GW2 used to be a fun game where a casual player could find lots to enjoy. AN has goosed the difficulty considerably in this expansion. It may now be fun for the hard-core enthusiasts with very quick reflexes and a lot of time for practice, but for the casual player it sucks! You'll get pounded over and over until you are running around naked, hoping to get in a lucky shot to end yourGW2 used to be a fun game where a casual player could find lots to enjoy. AN has goosed the difficulty considerably in this expansion. It may now be fun for the hard-core enthusiasts with very quick reflexes and a lot of time for practice, but for the casual player it sucks! You'll get pounded over and over until you are running around naked, hoping to get in a lucky shot to end your misery. I had leveled three toons in the classic game but only lasted a week in the expansion. Only if you plan to be teamed up throughout your combat career should a normal player consider this miscarriage. Expand
  4. Jul 18, 2018
    Pros:
    Nice graphics
    Fun low end PVE Many skins to customise your character Cons: Extremely toxic community (if you are new player, one of five people will help you, others will send you ***. If you aren't experienced in PVP or high end PVE, you will be kicked and called all kind of words) Very weak PVP and WvW balance (classes and matchmaking are probably worst of all other MMOS)
    Pros:
    Nice graphics
    Fun low end PVE
    Many skins to customise your character

Cons:
    Becoming grindy
    Prepare your wallet if you want nice skins or progress faster
    Loads of game mechanics abuse and GMs don't care
    Not polished content, loads of bugs.
    GMs not communicated with players.
    Competitive play non-existent

When GW2 was released it was fun, a lot of it. However, after it became free to play and with every new expansion, it just became non balanced, toxic and money grabbing game. I was playing it since day one and today I would strongly suggest new players to avoid it, especially if you're under 16. This game will take all enjoyment in gaming away and after playing it, you will become not relaxed, but more angry. Avoid.
  5. Nov 7, 2017
    The inclusion of loot box mount skins has spoiled an otherwise great expansion. Arenanet has shown they are inclined to included content in the form of paid loot boxes when the expansion lacks long term goals.
  6. Nov 7, 2017
    Loot box skins has ruined this game it was good but a couple of months after release there is nothing to do and now there are paid loot boxes instead of content. I can't recommend this game to anyone now. Hopefully the devs stop making paid loot boxes and start making good content.
  7. Jan 25, 2018
    Pay2win trash expansion for PvP with Overpowered to the max specs. Zero balance to pvp leaving scourge and mirage to dominate everything. Pve adds mounts which make a lot of content laughably easier than it already was.
  8. Nov 9, 2017
    + Beautiful locations
    + Somewhat interesting story
    - Not a lot of things to do in game (even in the open world) after you've played for a while - RNG lootboxes were introduced to force you into gambling for new mount skins (number of in-game obtainable mount skins: 0) - A lot of class balancing issues, some of the Elite Specs (one of the selling points) are useless in PvE - No new
    + Beautiful locations
    + Somewhat interesting story

- No new raids, no dungeons, no world bosses
    - No major changes to PvP/WvW

It is still a good game, but it's crippled with the developer's inability to satisfy basic needs of your typical MMORPG player.
  9. Jul 3, 2018
    Beyond Frustrated

Beyond Frustrated

Just bought the two expansions after playing the game a bit all the way back when it came out. I've been looking for a new game to play for a while and the new content looked like it might be fun. After verifying I was me twice through email and once thought text. I try to log into the game only to see that I'm locked out because it thinks I'm an unauthorized user trying to break into my account. Fair enough, I appreciate the game trying to protect my account. So I go the support page to make a ticket thinking this will take an hour or so for them to get back to me and we can clear this up. That was over 20 hours ago at the time I'm writing this. I haven't even received a email from them (besides the auto generated one when you make a ticket). This is unacceptable customer service. I literally just spent over $70, really looking forward to jumping into the game just last night and they can't have the decency to at least tell me that they are looking into it.

Frustrated

24 Hours later and still no response from their support. I'm putting in for a refund. Don't play this game, if you have a problem you will wait days for a response from them. Worst customer service I've ever experienced from a game.
  10. Apr 21, 2019
    The world, the story at least in parts, the amount of content in general is nothing to be overly critical about.
    The content itself, however, the pacing, the balance, is completely in shambles. It's recycled, regurgitated, it's built around making you run circles to stretch it thin and thinner. The only big thing are mounts and they're just used to gate content.
    The boss fights are an
    The boss fights are an atrocity that ANet should answer before a court for.
  11. Dec 12, 2017
    A step backward.

Unlike what most reviews here would have you believe Path of Fire is not the new best in MMORPG gameplay, heck it struggles to be "new" at all. Love it or hate it, previous expansion delivered tons of innovation both to the franchise and the genre true to it's Guild Wars 2 legacy. Gliders, amazing multidimensional maps you could get lost in, mastery system to
    A step backward.

Gliders, amazing multidimensional maps you could get lost in, mastery system to slowly turn uphill battle with hostile jungle maps into memorable moments when you traverse half of map in a blink of an eye or soar above cloud levels ignoring any danger you previously had to face...

There was new WvW borderland, new sPvP map, new profession and ofc introduction of elite specs. New approach to events (outposts) and the huge replay value with massive amount of collections turned the definition of GW2 experience on it's head. And i loved it.

Not all was golden, but it was there, and my biggest gripe at the time was the sales and marketing policies, not the product itself.

And now? Path of Fire not only brings extremely little to the table in terms of novelty (and this is an expac of series that rose on innovating!), it even goes as far as to cut back on previous systems rather then expanding!

The "big new" (and the only one so far) are mounts. I won't lie, they are extremely practical, and useful. But it's mounts ppl...feature every damn MMORPG out there already has...

Mastery system got reduced, it's smaller here then it was in HoT. Basically just mount masteries, nothing more. No new profession. No new content for sPvP or WvW. Elite specs are hit and miss with the core mindset being "a role" rather then "playstyle" as it was in previous expansion. A decision i grealty detest. Gone are the outposts(!!) which were a great way for event-driven story telling and getting players to group together for later stages of map meta. Why was this great idea axed??

Maps got back to being flat, something between HoT and core Tyria, but much more skewed to the latter's style.
    A lot of ppl are happy about it, beats me why. Every other mmo out there can muster flat maps with slight verticality. It was GW2 and HoT that gave us something new, unique and challenging.

Lastly the replay value is also...well...nowhere near HoT, let's be honest.

Where this xpac does shine are the areas where previous one struggled - smooth launch, good pricing, no sales or marketing ploys, steady content updates with no huge breaks before and after launch, and much more casual friendly.

But to me that's not enough. It's predecessor at launch was really rough around the edges in many ways, but it went in there, innovated and turned GW2 (and general) mmorpg experience on it's head as it should, given it's legacy.

While here i feel i'm getting "Core Tyria +", something that even if it was launched before HoT, would still feel as a very safe bet. Let alone after groundbreaking Heart of Thorns.

The xpac itself is nice and well designed. But "nice" is not what i want or expect from this franchise. I expect daring and groundbreaking, because it's Guild Wars 2. This meek and apologetic approach that indirectly tries to pretend HoT didn't happen disgusts me, and leaves me with no more mercy for it then a 6 outta 10.
  12. Sep 26, 2017
    Stunningly beautiful game, deep storyline, thousands of hours of voice acting, the attention to detail is incredible. Cannot say enough about this game!! Tons to do, in any play style you want, PvZ. All are amazing and I cannot find enough hours to play my fav, wvw.
  13. Oct 8, 2017
    PvE review: Mount mechanics are clunky and controlling them is a pain. They added like 4 boss mechanics spread out between about 10 legendary bounties that everyone just swarms for a few minutes and moves on. The new map metas are either impossible to do because nobody knows they're happening or impossible to do because they were balanced poorly. The only thing to do after you beat thePvE review: Mount mechanics are clunky and controlling them is a pain. They added like 4 boss mechanics spread out between about 10 legendary bounties that everyone just swarms for a few minutes and moves on. The new map metas are either impossible to do because nobody knows they're happening or impossible to do because they were balanced poorly. The only thing to do after you beat the story is get a flying mount and do collection achievements for a not-so-great exotic set. Half of the new specializations are a mess and double the amount of key inputs. Game is rife with little annoyances that will have you quitting in a rage within 2 weeks, guaranteed. Like, HoT before it, wait until they get their act together before you bother with this one. Expand
  14. Oct 29, 2017
    ГВ2 всегда была инновационной ММОРПГ, первая избавилась от владычества WoW и ее стандартов, отошла от троицы, квестов, гир прогресса, лвл прогресса и т.д. HoT также принес не мало нового и интересного, крутого сложного контента, новую структуру карт и интересных МЕТА эвентов.

PoF отошел от всех стандартов ГВ2 и не принес не в мир ГВ2 не в мир ММОРПГ ничего хорошего и нового. Вернулись старые плоские локации, упростили получения всех мастери и скил поинтов теперь это все делается в соло как и вся сюжетная компания. Локации такжи простые и умереть на них очень сложно, но что самое главное не было добавлено не 1 мета эвента и нового ворлд босса. В итоге локации пустые скучные и уже через неделю все вернульсь в HoT.

Booring flat maps, no meta events, no epic events, all content like story/mobs/skillspoints ultra esy and casual. Complite all things in 4 days and return to ultra awedome HoT location and Events. Worst expansion for me and loswet hour/gameplay, no bosses no fractals no dungeons no raids no new WwW or Spvp maps, no new class no new races.
  15. Sep 28, 2017
    I am a long time Guild Wars franchise follower, started back in 2006 with Factions and have played it all since. Why I took the time to make an account and write this review is because Path of Fire finally gave the original fans something meaningful in ArenaNet's sequel, Guild Wars 2. Yes the maps are fun, the mounts give us something new to experience, but the story is what I loved inI am a long time Guild Wars franchise follower, started back in 2006 with Factions and have played it all since. Why I took the time to make an account and write this review is because Path of Fire finally gave the original fans something meaningful in ArenaNet's sequel, Guild Wars 2. Yes the maps are fun, the mounts give us something new to experience, but the story is what I loved in this expansion.

I'm talking about deep references, even things that hardcore GW1 fans might have missed their first time through.

So if you are like me and cared about the story ArenaNet were making way back in the mid-2000's, give this game a go now. It has come a long way from its initial launch.
  16. Sep 27, 2017
    The Path of Fire Story is the best in GW2. It is much better than the base game and HoT. Go deep into the Lore of the Guild Wars universe. The narrative has improved a lot too and is accompanied by an amazing soundtrack!

The maps are incredible, you needed maps like this, full of beauty, different ecosystems, new enemies and secrets, many secrets !!! The mounts give variety in the

The mounts give variety in the exploration and that always likes. I'm glad we finally have them! As for the design of the mounts, I find it incredible, they are really well made and feel alive! that each one I have a different type of displacement contributes to this, since that happens in our world, each living being has some unique qualities in which it stands out for better or for worse.

The events, there is everything from events very similar to those we already know, to totally new ones!

New specializations bring a wealth of options at the time of combat, new builds can come out and change the Meta, which affects all types of game. They are different and not superior is the key to variety and that in pvp, for example do not always stick against the same builds (obviating higher levels, where the goal is the goal).

As objects, I suppose that is what you can expect, materials, armor and weapons typical of new areas.

And it allows access to the living world fourth season. No monthly fee!
  17. Sep 23, 2017
    Path of Fire is a great addition, to a great game. The new maps are gorgeous, there are not many games out there with a unique desert setting.

The new Specs are awesome, the animations are well done and it adds a new touch to the gameplay.

The Mounts are great too, easy accesable and every one with it's own special kind of use.

All in all, a great addon.
  18. Oct 4, 2017
    The content itself is very high quality, but it's only open world exploration and the other 80% of the game goes completely neglected. If you are here for fractals/dungeons/raids/PvP/WvW this expansion has NOTHING to offer. At all. Except for a few new skills. Because of the lack of organized group content this is also a very antisocial experience, doesn't feel like an MMO.

There is no

There is no endgame. I had fun for a week, didn't rush the content, but there's just nothing of substance for me to do now. CEO hates dungeons and anything competitive, and it shows.
  19. Sep 24, 2017
    Gw2 is a game I've always been super critical of because quite frankly I think they have consistently dropped the ball in content they release. From base story, to xpac story, to dungeons story, etc. This xpac completely changed that. Honestly, the campaign was such a blast to play. Infinitely better than the 1st xpac. The story is less linear, the region of the world you explore is moreGw2 is a game I've always been super critical of because quite frankly I think they have consistently dropped the ball in content they release. From base story, to xpac story, to dungeons story, etc. This xpac completely changed that. Honestly, the campaign was such a blast to play. Infinitely better than the 1st xpac. The story is less linear, the region of the world you explore is more compelling and well designed. The story feels much more grand. Really what this game needed since 2012.
    I don't want to keep this too long but I cannot recommend this xpac enough, especially for players that were burned by the game's poor quality from 2012 to 2015.
  20. Sep 24, 2017
    I have not yet had the time to pay through all of the content. So far I've had a blast and and i can't put a finger on something i want to change so far.

The maps are beautiful and the scenery is many screenshots worthy. The mounts feel very smooth, and it feels very natural moving with mounts. Even though i couldn't imagine mounts 2 months ago, it already seems perfectly natural and well intergrated. I haven't played the new specs alot, but I'm having fun progressing.

It has been fun so far, and I'm very hooked on the story. I will update as i experience the rest of the expansion.
  21. Sep 23, 2017
    Path of Fire adds a lot to Guild Wars 2. It adds 9 new elite specializations, which are practically new classes. Each elite spec. gives your character access to a new weapon and a lot of new skills. There are 5 new maps, which are the largest and best looking maps ArenaNet has created to date. These maps have a lot to do, with many events occurring to keep you busy. Mounts have been added,Path of Fire adds a lot to Guild Wars 2. It adds 9 new elite specializations, which are practically new classes. Each elite spec. gives your character access to a new weapon and a lot of new skills. There are 5 new maps, which are the largest and best looking maps ArenaNet has created to date. These maps have a lot to do, with many events occurring to keep you busy. Mounts have been added, each with a unique skill to help traverse the desert. These mounts can be used in both the new expansion areas, and the old core and Heart of Thorns maps. The story is great, taking you to many places from Guild Wars 1, and many unique never-before-seen locations. But the expansion doesn't end there. New maps will be added every few months with the Living Story updates. These updates are free as long as you log-in before the next one is added (if you miss one, you can use in-game currency to buy them).

The expansion doesn't add anything new PvP or WvW, but that's because those are updated regularly when new content is ready (for free, regardless of where you own the expansion or not). You don't need the expansion for these PvP and WvW updates, even someone who is F2P can play that new content. The same goes for Fractals (mini-dungeons which get progressively harder).
  22. Sep 27, 2017
    this expansion sure is top of the line great work Anet...

this expansion sure is top of the line great work Anet...

i just wanted to address some of the people who are complaining about this expansion and saying "just trash" about it. first of not having new classes, the new elite spec are the new classes for example the elementalist just look at how many verity of builds we had with tempest and now we get weaver who has a totally different play style and abilities, sure it under the same class name as elemental, but the things he can bring to the table are totally different even if you wanted to go tempest dps it still different to the weaver and the play style, people are still experimenting on different builds and ways to play this elite spec whats the point in having a new class its that it plays and feels different to the others, well weaver plays and feels different to tempest. personally i didnt really like tempest that much, but with weaver i cant get enough and thats not including the whole other different classes that have their new elite spec another example would be the ranger it had druid and now it has soulbeast which plays and feels completely different and unique.

that said about the class part now to pvp and wvw they already said will be coming out and that they are working on and in terms of new crafting professions not everyone actually likes crafting and to the some who actually do there are new gear and equipment that they can craft there is no need for new crafting professions in addition you can only learn 2 at max 3 crafting professions which a lot of people have already maxed out and i dont think a lot of people are interested in starting the whole process of gathering and max a whole new crafting prof.

about the game engine saying its old and needs work look at final fantasy or even wow non of these 2 games have changed their game engine because it wont be that easy it's like saying make a completely new game but with the same setting and if your fps goes down because of the game that just means you need to update your PC.

this expansion has a lot to offer the content alone is more than enough making people actually communicate and work together to do bounties and other world events, if anything Anet has done a great job in these maps, story, and the new elite specs, also the mounts it's totally different than all other mounts in other games which are just for increased movement speed each mount actually feels different and unique.

sorry for the long post, but i got tired of retarded people look for any excuse to bash was a great job Anet has done and i give them props for it they have improved so much since their first expansion and i havent even mentioned how incredibly amazing the PoF story is, so great job Anet and keep getting better and for those who keep finding fault no game is %100 perfect.
  23. Sep 25, 2017
    These are generally early impressions since i have not finished all the expansion has to offer. But everything seems really high quality overall. Almost everything that had community acceptance can be seen in PoF. The maps are beautiful, the music amazing, the content really dense after the 1st map and mounts are probably one of the greatest features to be added in game. Exploring theseThese are generally early impressions since i have not finished all the expansion has to offer. But everything seems really high quality overall. Almost everything that had community acceptance can be seen in PoF. The maps are beautiful, the music amazing, the content really dense after the 1st map and mounts are probably one of the greatest features to be added in game. Exploring these maps are a treat. PoF is the kind of expansion that gets every little thing completely right. Even the story, albeit a bit short, is of high quality, rewarding for lore buffs and well presented as opposed to HoT story that has been a bit problematic. Elites are also fun to play but it is too early to really give a critic on them. Overall PoF seems to worth every penny.

My only two issues with the expansion is the lack of guild content. Guild missions need an update as they have been saturated and buggy for years and PoF would have been a great time to refresh them. Also I am a bit worried about the lack of map-wide meta events in the new maps. HoT maps metas are amazing experiences. It was really problematic that all of the maps were meta-wide maps. Thus reducing them and make PoF maps closer to core Gw2 is a good decision. But not even adding one such map-wide meta is the extreme on the other side. The ideal would be to have such an epic encounter only on one last map representing the peak of the story and lore process just like DS has done with HoT. Hopefully they will add such encounters in the future (LS4 should be coming soon) as they are one of the unique highpoints of the open PvE in the game.
  24. Sep 24, 2017
    PoF is the best content GW2 has put out yet. The new maps are a joy to explore with the addition of mounts. Those mounts also aren't just a boring speed boost. They all feel unique and have specific uses that make some better in situations than others. They're definitely important for traversing the new maps, not only for how they handle the dangerous terrains, but also because these mapsPoF is the best content GW2 has put out yet. The new maps are a joy to explore with the addition of mounts. Those mounts also aren't just a boring speed boost. They all feel unique and have specific uses that make some better in situations than others. They're definitely important for traversing the new maps, not only for how they handle the dangerous terrains, but also because these maps are HUGE. Easily twice the size of the base game maps. I'm not even close to 100% on any of them yet and I've already put a good 20 hours in.

The story is easily the best they've done. The villain is actually interesting for once! The story actually has some interesting twists and turns and most importantly, it NAILS the ending. It has a satisfying conclusions whilst also keeping some important story threads around for Season 4 of the living world.

Now why didn't I give this a perfect score? Well unfortunately, there don't appear to be any major world bosses. Bounties have taken their place here and while I think they may actually end up being more interesting in the long run (because of their randomization), they don't really have the spectacle of bosses like Tequatl or the huge organization needs of the Chak Garent (though some bounties definitely are very tough).

Regardless of that one complaint, I'm looking forward to playing through this again on another elite spec (I didn't mention those, but it's basically like adding 9 new ways to play the game).

After HoT, I was apprehensive about GW2's future. PoF has done the opposite and delivered a near perfect expansion.
  25. Sep 24, 2017
    Path of Fire is what Guild Wars 2 has always been : Exploration, discovery, insanely fast fun, without constraints.
    The world building is a never match in the MMO scene before. The desert is huge, insanely big, and well crafted.
    The lore tidbits are everywhere, from dialogs, to the story, to random npc encounters and chats. The music is gorgeous, as much as the art style. Arenanet
    The music is gorgeous, as much as the art style.

Arenanet had taken lessons from the past. All the major issues GW2 had are no more. The game is stable, has a strong content, both casual and end game, it has a lot of variety of gameplay, content, game modes.
    The community is very welcoming, and the game is highly populated.

If you ever played GW2 and want to come back, don't think it twice, just drown into it, you won't regret it.
  26. Sep 27, 2017
    Path of Fire is everything Heart of Thorns should have been:

Gorgeous wide open maps that encourage exploration. A better balance between solo and group content. You can actually get 100% map completion without having to ask for help in map chat like was necessary in HoT. An actual logical integration of the Mastery system via mounts. I was worried adding mounts to GW2 would be
    Path of Fire is everything Heart of Thorns should have been:

Gorgeous wide open maps that encourage exploration.

An actual logical integration of the Mastery system via mounts. I was worried adding mounts to GW2 would be gimmicky, but they're absolutely not. Mounts are used for exploration and transportation and they enabled the maps to grow in size without the gimmicks of updraft gliding and other mastery travel options. If anything adding mounts makes the game feel less gimmicky and more natural.

The new class specializations are unlocked faster and the new mastery trees for mounts are shorter than their HoT counterparts. This means you spend more time playing through new content and exploring than grinding levels for mastery points. This was a massive problem in HoT that gated content behind mastery skills and then forced players to grind. That grind is absent in Path of Fire. You generally get the basic masteries needed to unlock the majority of the content up front through exploring a new map. The progression is intuitive and occurs naturally. Grinding takes a back seat.

I've not finished the story so won't be able to offer spoilers, but it seems the same stock storyline as we've had since LWS2. The plot is interesting enough, but the dialogue often feels kinda dopey. They've continued the full voice acting, which is nice provided you can stand the voice actor for your character. Unfortunately you continue to be "along for the ride" so to speak, with your character making decisions without your input. Not that this had any over-arching impact during the vanilla storyline, but it did help with immersion.

All in all Path of Fire is a much more pleasant experience to HoT. The direction Arena Net chose to go in with this expansion hearkens back to what made the vanilla game so enjoyable and so novel, and throws in a hefty dash of nostalgia from revisiting old GW locations, along with a solid and inspired soundtrack, I feel this was the expansion we had all been waiting for.
  27. Sep 27, 2017
    An amazing expansion for an amazing game. Visuals are incredible, mounts feel like actual mounts and not a speed boost, and the story is probably the best since the game's launch.

If right now I had to say which has been my favourite gaming experience ever, I would probably say the launch days of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire. If there is a reason I give this expansion a 10, it is the

If there is a reason I give this expansion a 10, it is the same as the vanilla game: It is absolutely worth every penny.
  28. Sep 27, 2017
    Many things were worked on since the last expansion, but what i like most is:

1. Huge improvements to the skill system. Now, most kills are multi-faceted bringing 3-4 RPG - style effects into one animation. This makes the combat in modern GW2 the best i have seen in an mmo, 2. Small but vital tweaks to encounter design. The enemy and the setting of each fight has been tweaked, making
    Many things were worked on since the last expansion, but what i like most is:

2. Small but vital tweaks to encounter design. The enemy and the setting of each fight has been tweaked, making every one fell epic and memorable.

Now, all those core improvements and the features of HOT are unleashed in the desert, such that the game finally has enough endgame content. Best expansion ever.

The -1 point is for the lack of new clases. Also, the PvP content could have used more love.
  29. Sep 27, 2017
    Incredible story, amazingly beautiful scenery, better progression. In short they've learned from the HoT expansion and made PoF GREAT! The story keeps you at the edge of your seat, It's incredible.
  30. Sep 27, 2017
    Path of Fire is the best GW2 has been since it first launched. It's taken a long time for the game to find its footing, and there's still issues, but this is a seriously good MMO expansion.

Mounts are fantastic. They handle well, have cool abilities, and are gorgeously animated. ANet has wisely moved away from multi-million xp mastery tracks, and you instead unlock most mount abilities fairly quickly. The difference is huge.

There are no new dungeons. ANet appears to be wary of that type of content, after many failed attempts to balance rewards of its existing dungeons. They are focusing instead on Raids, which is a strange choice for a game with such enduringly poor profession balance. In a game like WoW, dps differences of 5% are seen as huge. Some GW2 professions can differ by more than 25% - it's a total farce.

The new zones are expansive, and an absolute joy to explore. Exploration has always been what GW2 does best, and they fully committed to it in Path of Fire.

The new elite specs are fun, although balance (of course) varies wildly.

I haven't finished the story, but it's been great so far. At this point, Heart of Thorns was wrapping up, but Path of Fire is only in its second act. Much more satisfying.

All around, it's the best MMO without a subscription you'll find.
  31. Sep 26, 2017
    The maps are amazing, the story was great. The difficulty is at a good level, harder than base game and HoT, it's now as challenging as it should be and it may give players an incentive to group together in order to complete events rather than solo. The biggest letdown is the lack of map-wide metas, like the ones we got in HoT, and how that is going to affect replayability.
  32. Nov 8, 2017
    - Predatory gambling via loot boxes.
    - Nothing new for WvW except a ridiculous grind for PIPs.
    - Top tier mat prices are ruined buy over supply. - Daily tasks keep giving me objectives to parts of the game I don't play and hate. - Game keeps freezing since POF and requires a reboot each time (can't stop the task). - Game causes my CPU fan to run at 100% when it does run, this is the
    - Predatory gambling via loot boxes.
    - Nothing new for WvW except a ridiculous grind for PIPs.
    - Top tier mat prices are ruined buy over supply.
    - Game causes my CPU fan to run at 100% when it does run, this is the only game to do this.

5 years of this garbage... game deleted!
  33. Sep 28, 2017
    Path Of Fire is not only an awesome expansion but made the core game and Hearth of Thorns even more immersive thanks to the new mount system.
    Anet did a really great job making GW2 a truly jewel in the MMO universe.
    A must buy for me... but if you can't afford try it with a f2P account, you'll never regret the time spent in the game.
  34. Sep 24, 2017
    I love this expansion! In my opinion right now the best mmo out there. So much detail and amazing artwork. if you are not sure if you wanna come back or start gw as a new player.. dont hesitate. NOW is the time! :) you wont regret it.
  35. Sep 28, 2017
    The story is absolutely amazing for what it is (we all know we can't hold mmo's to the same standard as single player games). It's more cinematic than ever before, with interesting and engaging boss mechanics, a lot of "I can't believe that just happened" moments. There is a healthy dose of well-done humor too.
    The new maps are huge and filled with content (i`m a bit sad that there are no
    The new maps are huge and filled with content (i`m a bit sad that there are no new map-wide metas, but heart of thorns was full of them, this now strikes a nice balance between exploration maps and meta maps). There are things waiting for you around every corner, you will have a blast exploring them.
    The new enemies are cool and interesting both visually and mechanically, would have been nice if a bit more work went in creating new branded enemy types, but overall that's a small detail.
    The mounts are AWESOME, each one has a different movement ability that lets you go to places you couldn't without them (for instance one mount jumps long distances forwards, one jumps up really high, one can "run" (kind of glide) over surfaces that would otherwise kill you, like quick sand, and one can use portals scattered around the maps.
    The new elite specs are also really cool, much more detailed than the heart of thorns ones, and some of them are so different that it feels like you are playing a totally new class. Balance is a bit off at the moment, since there are basically 9 new classes added, but that will be worked out with future content releases.
    Also, for anyone reading this review wondering if you should buy it, take into consideration that if you get it early enough, you will also get living world season 4 for free as it releases, all in the same price.
    Overall, I think pof is excellent and would recommend buying it any day
  36. Sep 25, 2017
    Guild Wars 2 has absolutely nailed how to expand the game. I absolutely love it.

Heart of Thorns (HoT), the first Guild Wars 2 expansions, was pretty good in my opinion. It got some things right, and a number of things wrong. For Path of Fire (PoF), the developers successfully identified the aspects of Heart of Thorns that made it fun for players, and they have amplified those aspects for this new expansion:

[1] Mobility & Exploration. Gliding was hands down the best part of Heart of Thorns. It was a new way to approach exploration, which has always been a key part of the core game with vistas, points of interests and hearts, diving points, jumping puzzles, and more to find. For Path of Fire, they chose to increase mobility & exploration with mounts. Mounts in PoF do even more than gliding did. There is a mount for crossing large gaps in terrain (raptor), scaling cliff-sides (springer), hovering over water and other ground material, and more. There is even a hidden mount that is essentially a much improved form of gliding.

[2] Elite Specializations. With any major expansion you have to add more combat mechanics. Heart of Thorns did quite well with elite specializations, but again, Path of Fire just does it again and better. For example the Daredevil in HoT only essentially gave you a staff abilities, an extra dodge, and the standard few extra skills. In PoF, the Deadeye give you a new profession skill, new stolen profession skills, rifle abilities, secondary rifle abilities (when you are crouched), a secondary resource meter, and the standard abilities. They just made the elite specialization do more to change your characters and make them unique.

[3] Maps and re-doable content. Heart of Thorns added little adventures that you can do repeatedly around it's maps. This was a great idea. But the maps themselves are rather tedious to traverse with so much vertical and branching paths. Path of Fire's maps are much more standard (they are mach easier to traverse) and they expanded on the re-doing of objectives. If you already beat a hero point mini-boss, but you see someone else doing it, you can go help them and you will still get a reward even though you already did it. Rewards (however small) are great for repeating previous content, and it helps keep places around the world populated. They also added Bounties, which is essentially a way of triggering a mini-boss. This feature is GREAT for small groups of friends, because it allows them to do bosses on their own time and not wait for things to spawn and such.

Although I really like Path of Fire, there are a few drawbacks/short-falls of the expansion:

[1] Possibly the biggest one for me is the lack of new armor sets. Guild Wars two has never really had a major push of new armor sets, and it is understandable why. Armor in GW2 effects multiple races, and you have hundreds of dyes that need to effect armor colors, so adding armor is a major chore for the development team.

[2] World versus World (WvW). This mode has pretty much always been an afterthought since the beginning of the game. There are numerous flaws with the fundamental design of the game mode (as everyone is well aware), but it is still fun for what it is if you learn the ropes of how to be effective. Yes you can use the elite specializations of the expansion in WvW, but much of WvW revolves around moving through a map and taking side objectives from enemy teams. WvW never got a map that was designed around gliding, and it did not get a new map (at least so far) designed around using mounts in Path of Fire. They tried to make a new map with the desert WvW map, but that was a disaster from the ground up. I still think WvW could be an amazing game mode, but it would require some fundamental re-works (such as team selection rather than server-based teams), and it would require new maps that take advantage of the advanced movement options in the expansions.

[3] Underwater combat. Underwater combat is like WvW in that it has kinda been an afterthought since the game released. It is slower paced than ground combat with less options due to skill restrictions and lack of weapon sets. HOWEVER, mounts could finally provide a solution to make underwater combat more fun. But sadly there are no underwater mounts in the game yet, and there is even a mount designed to float over water so you don't even have to swim. I personally hope the next expansions for Guild Wars 2 involves the water elder dragon, and it adds underwater mounts that will vastly change underwater combat for the better. (PLEEEASE Arena net. That would be so cool)

Summary... I love this expansion, and it shows that Guild Wars 2 is not a dying MMO. It has a lot of life left in it, and now is the best time there has ever been to start playing. I can't wait to see what they do in the future with the game.
  37. Sep 26, 2017
    The God of Fire and War marches on Elona, after a full season worth of build up by the living story Path of Fire finally arrives, and what an adventure it is!

The expansion brings five maps, the largest maps to date and that is no exaggeration. Combined with increased verticality it takes some considerable time to explore every region and even then you will want to revisit to complete collections and events you missed the first time around. The increased size would be hard to navigate if it was not for GW2's latest addition, mounts.

What a breath of fresh air mounts are, unlike other MMO's Gw2's mounts are not just a simple speed boost. But rather and completely different way to traverse the terrain, from the Raptors leap to jump large gaps and traverse the terrain quickly, to the Springers jump to reach high up locations. To the Skimmers ability to avoid terrain effects by floating and the Jackals teleportation, there may or may not be a secret mount, which I will not spoil here.

Just like everything Arena Net do, mounts are approached not just to fill a demand but to introduce something fresh, fun and accomplish in a way that leaves other MMO's trailing behind.

The expansion brings a class balance and nine new specialisations to help spice up PvP and WvW with new desert borderland creatures as a bonus. It may not sound like much, but new specialisations and changes to meta are what PvP live for. That said the PvP side of the game is on a different release schedule and given as free updates, it is not something expansion packs are designed to cater to.

As for the story, it is a truly epic journey filled with ups and down. The writing has come a long way since the original personal story. The voice acting is superb, especially John DiMaggio (Futurama's Bender) Canach. The main characters have quite a natural dynamic between them which is occasionally amusing quite, "cuddles". If you were a fan of the original Guild Wars, you will get a kick out of this expansion due to the numerous call backs to that game.

Guild Wars 2 has hit a new high, much needed after the divisive Heart of Thorns and year long content drought after. I would happily recommend this expansion especially at the reduced price tag compared to HOT, Arena Net are back on track and the future looks bright.
  38. Sep 25, 2017
    This expansion did a lot of things right - the lore, the enemies, the mounts, the environments, the new elite spec - all superb. I'm only giving it a 9 because they dropped the ball on adding new weapon types and new dungeons, both of which had a great setup for this expansion and I've felt the game has needed for years.
  39. Sep 28, 2017
    This expansion is a pure joy for the eyes. Wonderful and beautifully detailed areas full of events and players. Superb Dialogues, History Changing Depending on Choices Made, Gorgeous Background Music and Fuc*ing AWESOME MOUNTS.
    POF is simply a great expansion that made GW2 one of the best (if not the best) mmo one can play nowadays. =)
  40. Sep 27, 2017
    Maps are full of detail, and are aesthetically inspiring. Ton to explore and discover, mounts to ride, and stuff to do! Everything that was featured was superb. 10/10
  41. Sep 28, 2017
    Characterization and dialogue is a bit shallow and unimpressive. Seems like the story writers are fans of tropes. Story had potential though. Characters do offer some humorous moments. NPC dialogue is polished. Do note that Path of Fire's story doesn't end with the expansion itself. Living Story is Guild Wars 2's take on limited time free DLC, and season 4 of the Living Story will continueCharacterization and dialogue is a bit shallow and unimpressive. Seems like the story writers are fans of tropes. Story had potential though. Characters do offer some humorous moments. NPC dialogue is polished. Do note that Path of Fire's story doesn't end with the expansion itself. Living Story is Guild Wars 2's take on limited time free DLC, and season 4 of the Living Story will continue the story of the expansion.

Classes get an additional "specialization", which adds or changes some of the class' mechanics. Whereas Heart of Thorns (1st expansion) focuses on map "verticality", which is sort of like multi-level map layout, Path of FIre emphasizes map "horizontality", that is it has new maps that are expansive and have diverse terrain. To help emphasize the experience, Path of Fire introduces a unique take on mounts. Mounts have innate abilities that help traverse certain terrain. Masteries are also included in this game, particularly for the mount system. Masteries are account wide progression that functions similar to a skill training system of some RPGs.

Addendum 1: I forgot to mention it also added a bounty system, similar to hunting special monsters in the Monster Hunter series. Bounties offer a challenge for players who would like to defeat monsters with unique abilities and mechanics, similar to a raid level boss. Bounties could be done solo or with a group of players.
  42. Oct 1, 2017
    TL;DR: Amazing expansion!

Pros: Mount exploration and mounts themselves are incredibly well done! Amazing maps! Story is fantastic! Minor Cons: Replayability of story and other things (Why isn't the sous chef minigame a replayable adventure? Why does the campaign award all skins on one playthrough, leaving limited rewards for multiple playthroughs- unlike HoT which was
    TL;DR: Amazing expansion!

Pros:

Mount exploration and mounts themselves are incredibly well done!

Amazing maps!

Story is fantastic!

Minor Cons:

Replayability of story and other things (Why isn't the sous chef minigame a replayable adventure? Why does the campaign award all skins on one playthrough, leaving limited rewards for multiple playthroughs- unlike HoT which was great with rewarding Auric/Chak weps, etc.).

While there are plenty of events, there is a lack of event chains and event achievements.

Mastery exp is too easily gained (Down from 13.5mil to complete a track in HoT, to 2.5mil to complete a track in PoF? Need a happy medium).

Once again, I overall loved this expansion and highly recommend it!
  43. Sep 29, 2017
    Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire provides a more coherent story than Heart of Thorns, and shows a greater amount of development time going towards narrative than engine upgrades and new game infrastructure. The expansion is a throwback to Guild Wars: Nightfall, having the player return to Elona for the first time in over 200 years. For any original Guild Wars players, this expansion is somethingGuild Wars 2: Path of Fire provides a more coherent story than Heart of Thorns, and shows a greater amount of development time going towards narrative than engine upgrades and new game infrastructure. The expansion is a throwback to Guild Wars: Nightfall, having the player return to Elona for the first time in over 200 years. For any original Guild Wars players, this expansion is something you should definitely own. The new content is appealing to players of more traditional MMO's as well, with the long speculated introduction of a mount system that can be used in vanilla maps as well.

Further new content includes 9 new elite specializations for the existing 9 classes, which can be unlocked through the new maps, or with skill point currency the player already owns. This makes character progression quick and much more enjoyable than most games. There are numerous new collections available which grant items and achievement points, many more than Heart of Thorns launched with. Arenanet has also introduced the bounty board system, which is an open-world group content system with repeatable contracts that allow you to hunt down a specific enemy for rewards greater than those you would find just by running through the maps blindly. These bounty targets have randomized effects attached to them akin to Diablo 3 elite prefixes. Because of this each bounty target has to be fought in a slightly different way.

With Living World Season 4 launching in about 3 months, players can expect more content to come soon, with at least 4 major content patches scheduled next year, provided Arenanet can keep their 3 month release cadence. With the base game just passing two years of free-to-play status, Guild Wars 2 is still one of the best western MMO's on the market, and has much more content scheduled into the coming years.
  44. Sep 30, 2017
    GW2 is nowadays a totally different game thant at launch in 2012. Especially if you own both expansions.

PoF is located in wounderfully crafted vast area where you can explore all different types of desert landscapes, take part in lot of events and hunt powerful creatures during bounty hunting. The story is a good step forward from what it was before, there are amazing mounts that each of them has special abilities and functions like springer that takes you to higher locations or jackal that allows you to teleport through sand portals across the map. And another huge feature is a new set of elite specialisations for each core proffesion which allows you to expand your playstyle with tons of new skills. Again if you have old expansion then you have 2 elite specs per profession for different playstyles. You can also play core builds which are also viable in lot of game areas.

Another great point is that with PoF comes a new living world season (which happens between expansions) - this means that every 2-3 months we'll get new episode of story and stuff to do. Last season gave one map per episode, so we can expect this to happen as well. This brings a huuuuuge open world zones to explore and fresh content to fill time between expac releases.

Come, see it for yourself. It's a great experience! Join the guild, spend time with people chasing bounties, discover tombs of ancient kings, find lost treasures!

I strongly recommend to also try HoT. But be aware that HoT has a bit more challenging open world than PoF (which means hard to traverse maps and powerful mobs that easily kill you. But when you get use to how to kill them it's a lot of fun actually).
  45. Oct 1, 2017
    I bought gw2 on release 5 years ago, I played now and then taking some breaks, before last month when I saw pof xpac and came back to playing I had been almost a year without playing the game at all.
    The thing with this game is every hour you put in is always worth, most other MMORPG would have made my comeback quite boring since I would have needed to grind all over the new content to get top tier armors and weapons. Not on gw2, once I got the grip and practised my mechanics again I was as good as I ever was, no repetitive grind.
    Other games, MOBAS like LoL or DotA you usually end up feeling as if you lost your time when you lose a game. This isn't what happens playing gw2 everything I do I know it's useful and will be even if I stop playing and come back 2 years later, which I doubt since the new xpac pof has been a blast to me, I've been playing a lot since PoF was released and I'm still shoched at how beautiful the maps are, story has been improved and the mounts have raised the whole game, even core to a new level of fun discovering maps.

I'm waiting paciently til the xpac raid is released (it's been stated to be a few weeks after release since it contains spoilers story related) because I had usually been just a raider in gw2, playing the weekly raid and that's it. Not anymore, I'm having crazy fun playing regular PvE and I doubt it stops soon, 100% worth every penny.
  46. Sep 25, 2017
    Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play. Best mmorpg to play.
  47. Oct 3, 2017
    Its great!

pros:
    Mounts are distinct from mounts in other mmorpgs , are fun too use and don't ruin the flow of the game.
    the new maps are beautiful and huge offering plenty of enjoyable content.
    cons:
    player population limit per map instance is still the same in the newer maps which are much bigger and so spread players out more.
    pvp and wvw mostly not expanded upon.
  48. Sep 24, 2017
    PoF is what Guild Wars 2 needed to refresh the game. It focuses on what every mmorpg should: You, and a big world where you can do what you want. HoT was a very good expansion, but PoF is far better
  49. Sep 29, 2017
    Path of Fire continues an epic journey to stay a raging God in the Crystal Desert, a beloved region of Tyria that pays homage to original Guild Wars.

This expansion does everything well that Heart of Thorns failed to deliver on, namely, a meaty story, copious amounts of content, and the ability for the new player to dive right in. Pros: - 5 Visually captivating maps that are more

Pros:
    - 5 Visually captivating maps that are more than three times the size of previous installments
    - Mounts that stray from conformity by having abilities and individual advantages over the others
    - Story is captivating with top tier voice over work, HD cutscenes that calls back to the lore of GW1
    - Diverse content for casuals and diehards
    - Living World Episodes reoccurring 2 months later
    - No Sub Fee
    - Low expansion price for the sheer amount of content
    - New Elite Specializations

Cons:
    Lack of map-wide Meta events have left some wanting
    Lack of antagonist's character development
  50. Sep 27, 2017
    GamingTrend's review is utter crap and no information, the reviewer did not play the expansion at all.
    Path of Fire is great though, GW2 is great in general.
  51. Sep 25, 2017
    Path of Fire breathes a new life into a half-decade old game with a massive amount of high-quality content. The worldbuilders of Guild Wars 2 has outdone themselves by turning the one most dull biome, the desert, into a nuanced landscape of shape and colors. This is brought to life by gigabytes upon gigabytes of quality voice acting, animations and gameplay carefully designed to promotePath of Fire breathes a new life into a half-decade old game with a massive amount of high-quality content. The worldbuilders of Guild Wars 2 has outdone themselves by turning the one most dull biome, the desert, into a nuanced landscape of shape and colors. This is brought to life by gigabytes upon gigabytes of quality voice acting, animations and gameplay carefully designed to promote exploration and, on occasion, cooperation.

As for the story, avoiding spoilers, let's just say the writers are showing their respect for the 12 year old franchise by turning over and experimenting with the concepts they have established years ago in order to create a truly enjoyable product that easily beats the last four years of story this game has offered.

Recommended for anyone looking for a fantasy fix for half the price of a AAA game.
  52. Sep 29, 2017
    Path of Fire is the beginning of a new life cycle for Guild Wars 2. I want to speak to some of the negative reviews, and then I have a lot of my own thoughts. People have said:

Q: No new Raids, Dungeons, Fractals, sPvP, WvW? A: The releases of Raids and Fractals have always come with Living world on a release by release bases, Dungeons have not been touched in many years and have been

Q: No new Raids, Dungeons, Fractals, sPvP, WvW?
    bases, Dungeons have not been touched in many years and have been replaced by fractals, so to
    expect new ones is crazy and unproductive. Arenanet has stated many times before that sPvP
    and WvW releases always come on their own cadence, as balance and other changes or
    additions won't wait for a major release such as an expansion.

Q: No Meta events or bosses like the ones in HoT?
    A: It is true that PoF does not have the same style of meta events as HoT did, and to some this may be a big problem, many of the HoT metas required huge numbers of people and could take hours to complete, for some this was great for others it was a nightmare. PoF metas are often shorter and don't require an entire map of people to work together for their completion, Not having the same large metas does two very important things for the game. 1: players who don't have the time or means to gather with a huge group of people and do a meta for two hours don't need to, and 2: PoF metas don't instantly override the need for HoT ones, this means that the Hot metas will still have players in them for a long time to come.

Q: Less Content than HoT?
    A: NO! I don't understand this thought at all, if you look at the size of the maps, number of events, items, achievements, secrets, bounties, and other new additions PoF has way more actual content than HoT did, just because you could do the Dragon Stand Meta event for 1000 hours doesn't mean that equates to more content.

Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire is an amazing expansion and it lays the ground work for a new season of living world that will start 2 - 3 months from now. Arenanet has made huge comprehensive maps that need to be explored to find everything that they have to offer, this exploration is added by the addition of Mounts to the game, but these aren't your grandmas mounts, each of the mounts has a unique feel and skills that allow you to explore a traverse different areas of the maps. These new mounts are tied to the mastery system which makes much of the exploration feel Metroidvania like, as you see that thing in the distance that you can't get to yet but with that new mount or new skill it will be within your reach.

With PoF Arenanet has added 9 new Elite professions which change the feel and style of each class in the game, these changes equate to even more variety and choice when creating your class and choosing how you want to play.

I can't recommend Guild Wars 2 PoF enough for the cost of this expansion, you get a huge amount of new and enjoyable content, and you get an entire season of new content and story released every 2 - 3 months.
  53. Sep 30, 2017
    No spvp,wvw changes. 2 of 3 game modes are left without any info. Half dead maps with new bounties a.k.a. champ trains with less rewards. Disappointment. 1/10.
  54. Sep 27, 2017
    I liked it better than HoT. It had better story, I liked the mounts, and less verticality, and had fun generally exploring.

BTW Weaver is L I G H T, Lit!
  55. Sep 28, 2017
    No new raids,fractals, spvp and wvw changes. Rushed story and half dead maps without meta events. People already returned to hot maps farming. New bounty system is old champ train with less gold per hour.So far pof is huge disappointment. Balance is joke,got throw away through window. 1/10 because of cheap expansion price.
  56. Sep 27, 2017
    Ok, im complite all maps, there is 0 METAs and Bosses. All posibly METAS (from reddit) fake its event like Orr tamples nothing more.

GW2 for me was always about cool METAs, Boss fights, crazy epic big events. PoF have nothing of this. IM REAALY hope for META Krakatorik in future. LVL of disspointment 10/10 Also MAPS have no meta, old players returned alreyde 2 HoT, Casuals also lost

Also MAPS have no meta, old players returned alreyde 2 HoT, Casuals also lost coze map a big and they cant do events solo and just give up. Desert are really desert now. bad jobe you really dont know how 2 balance and know only 1 option ALL MAPS META OR 0 MAPS METa..... pffff

also no new Raids fractals dungeon WwW and Spvp mod ets...
  57. Jan 5, 2018
    This is a lovely expansion. I am loving the mounts, I didn't think I would but they are great fun and really unique to any mounts in any other mmo I have played.
    I love that the maps are doable solo. Thanks so much Arena Net. I love the freedom to explore in my own time and at my own pace and I feel I can with these new maps. The story was good, a little bit tricky in places but mostly quite manageable for
    a noob like me. (You know I think I noticed the companions like Rytlock, Canach and Kasmeer were being a lot more effective in battles than they have been in previous story missions. Is that my imagination I wonder?)
    I have only unlocked a few elites skills so I cant really comment on them now but I am happy there is more choice and weapons to learn about. :)
    The reward armors are lovely, I especially like the light and medium ones the best, lovely fabrics and details like tassels and draping.
    Overall I think this expansion deserves a solid 9 from an average casual player like me. :)
  58. Oct 3, 2017
    Path of Fire maps, even though set in the desert, look beautiful and varied. Definitely a step up from previous maps,and expensive too with the new mounts.
    The new mounts are fantastic, and I could not go back to GW2 without them. Going back to core Tyria in the new mounts are a pure pleasure. Gliding down rivers and across lakes on the skimmer is pure joy.
    The new elite specs are a
    The new elite specs are a lovely addition too, giving a greater variety in builds.
  59. Nov 27, 2017
    After years of absence on GW2, I see that the game has not aged too much! With pleasure, I made a few parts and it made me want to buy the extension. Especially for the mount! it's also cool to have new areas to explore and a new story quest.
  60. Dec 1, 2017
    The game has a lot of potential, but ANet doesn't care about the players, they are more interested in their money instead.

The game evolved since launch, that's true, but at quite a slow pace. The expansion stories were a lot shorter than the main one and a lot more convoluted. The new classes that were added with the expansions are a bit of a fresh air, but ANet doesn't know how

The game evolved since launch, that's true, but at quite a slow pace.

The new classes that were added with the expansions are a bit of a fresh air, but ANet doesn't know how to make them fit in the different aspects of the game (PVP, PVE, Raids).

Spellbreaker from the last expansion doens't have a place in Raids, as an example. Scourge was so nerfed that it lost it's place in any raid for more than 3 months.

ANet doesn't seem to test what they do and then it takes 2+ months for them to fix it.

Classes are absurdly unbalanced in PVP, you can take an overpowered one and simply cheese you way to the top tiers.

End game content (I include making new Legendary items, high level Fractals and Raid Wings in this category) are slow, very slow to come out. We had to wait 6 months for a new raid wing (had 4 before that), and ONE YEAR for 01 new fractal level. That is RIDICULOUS.
    The new legendary items are lackluster. As an example the new rifle and shield are simply garbage when compared to the previous ones. The medium legendary armor look absurdly crap, when compared with it's heavy and light counterparts.

Now they decided and go heavy with the lootbox system. It was ALREADY present in the game, with Black Lion Chests, but now they decided to introduce Random Mounts for a price. When they are not random, which are 2 atm, they are extremely overpriced.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that they slyly changed most of their servers to Amazon ones, giving most of their player base worse pings, while a minority ended up getting better pings, and they don't even acknowledge that.

So yeah, that's it I guess. A game with potential, but huddled together with a greedy, lazy management.
  61. Oct 12, 2017
    After enduring the convoluted, confusing maps and endless grinding for masteries in HoT, PoF brings a a feeling of renewed freedom to Tyria.

The new specializations bring freshness to playstyles, and mounts are an interesting addition to the game.
  62. Sep 23, 2017
    This expansion is about half of what previous expansion had to offer. The price is lower too. There is nothing new for PvP, nothing new for WvW, no new classes, no new crafting professions, no new dungeons, no guild improvements, LFG system is still horribly clunky. With all the visual glitter they keep adding performance in terms of FPS goes down the drain even on top PCs. The game engineThis expansion is about half of what previous expansion had to offer. The price is lower too. There is nothing new for PvP, nothing new for WvW, no new classes, no new crafting professions, no new dungeons, no guild improvements, LFG system is still horribly clunky. With all the visual glitter they keep adding performance in terms of FPS goes down the drain even on top PCs. The game engine is incredibly old and in a dire need of renovation.

Meanwhile, all this expansion has to offer are mounts and a few open world maps which will be empty after a month. Really disappointed in Anet.
  63. Oct 11, 2017
    It's weird and funny to see that now, after five years, Guild Wars 2 has finally reached the "MMO with great endgame" state. The design philosophy ANet always had only now bears fruit. With HoT we got promised that level cap won't be ever increased so the old content will still be challenging and worth playing, but it was meaningless because the only endgame content we really had was 4 HoTIt's weird and funny to see that now, after five years, Guild Wars 2 has finally reached the "MMO with great endgame" state. The design philosophy ANet always had only now bears fruit. With HoT we got promised that level cap won't be ever increased so the old content will still be challenging and worth playing, but it was meaningless because the only endgame content we really had was 4 HoT maps. Now we have HoT, LWS3, HoT Raids AND PoF and soon we will have LWS4 and PoF Raids to play.
    New elite specs are amazing and feel like whole new classess, even more so than HoT specs that were already good.
    Mounts are the only big new feature, but boy they are fun to use. I never wanted them in GW2 but now I can't go back, I love them and NEED them. New maps are beautiful and fun to explore.
    I liked HoT but because it was so feature-focused, it lacked content. With PoF, we see a payoff of the decision ANet made back then. We have amazing features and a lot of amazing content. Good job, keep it up.
  64. Sep 24, 2017
    [Old one] The game is currently unplayable. The prologue of new storyline is so bugged that u may need to start it for 20 times to actually get to the instance. New maps are crashing too, rollbacks are happening every 15 minutes - have fun.[/Old one]

[New one]Well i must admit that after fixing mentioned above bugs the game looks really good. In terms of story im more than satisfied - quest no 9 "the departing" is one of the best I have ever played. New mounts have intresting mechanics, maps looks beautiful and after 2 and a half day my score is about 9. I don't know yet but new maps seems to have no meta events which is kinda bad but can't be sure about that[/New one]
  65. Jan 29, 2018
    This second expansion of Guild Wars 2 is my favorite so far! All mounts are so great to have.
  66. Jun 5, 2018
    Fun game
    Great customer support!
    Friends required i think
    It's a big commitment to start a new mmo ha
  67. Nov 6, 2017
    This is how you make an expansion : Mounts, new maps that I enjoyed to explore, new bosses, new spec, and the story got way better than ever before. Know I hope that Path of fire is only a first step leading to a ton of updates with the same quality.
  68. Nov 29, 2017
    An MMO that actually care about story, about crafting a world. No gear treadmill, no Pay to Win, just playing the game. Sure, the PVP and WvW (three way server battles) could have some more time given to them, but for a beautiful PVE experience you cant do better than this game.
  69. TIZ
    May 30, 2018
    Great expansion! Slightly less lore driven and detailed as HoT expansion. However, very nostalgic with many GW1 references and far more fun and a better story overall. So glad this MMO just keeps getting better as it matures. Definitely updated enough to stay modern in 2018! The new living world content released every 4 months also keeps breathing fresh life into it.
  70. Nov 15, 2017
    Great addon. Good maps and content, exploration is fun, decent enough story, great mounts that all play very differently.

I have to give a deduction for the loot box like skin system Anet introduced for the mounts. It's a rip off, plain and simple. The end game content consists more and more of gold farming to buy gems to buy visual upgrades. The gem store, that was once only a

The end game content consists more and more of gold farming to buy gems to buy visual upgrades. The gem store, that was once only a quicker way to get stuff, has now become the only way to get a lot of things and at this point it's barely better than the DLC crap in other games.
  71. Nov 24, 2017
    This expansion is great. It is simply good. Lots of contents, sight seeings to do, mobs aren't overly powered as it did in HoT expansion. Mounting is a plus! and talk about story
    The expansion story was amazing, it could be seen as a little long but that's only if you want to finish it in one or two days. Take a week to finish the story, its worth it.
  72. Dec 30, 2018
    A lot of people forget that Guild wars 2 expansions not only include the base expansion maps but the added Living world season maps, which extend the narrative by quite a lot and are free if you log in when they are released if you own PoE. Even though it has flaws, PoF brings 9 new class specializations which are incredibly well done, a mount system that it's not only a speed buff with aA lot of people forget that Guild wars 2 expansions not only include the base expansion maps but the added Living world season maps, which extend the narrative by quite a lot and are free if you log in when they are released if you own PoE. Even though it has flaws, PoF brings 9 new class specializations which are incredibly well done, a mount system that it's not only a speed buff with a skin, hunts for epic bosses and a decent story for an MMORPG which in my opinion they are usually lacking. New content and balance patches had been released over the span of the expansion lifetime and probably more will come. There had been already 5 patches since expansion launch (1 year from now) with a lot of new content and balancing. All around it's a lot of buck taking into account the asking price is only 30$ and no subscription. Expand
  73. Dec 12, 2019
    story missions are the most boring and buggiest thing in the worlddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  74. Feb 13, 2020
    Dont play this game if you want a support team that cares for you, got 20000 gold taken away and when i showed them how i got the gold they just stopped responding to my emails really lazy support
  75. Mar 3, 2020
    As someone who is writing the review almost 3 years later after seeing the content age I still think its a very good expansion. Especially if i count that there also came 6 more content updates (Living World) .
  76. Apr 22, 2021
    The phrase "never play on patch.-day" never fitted any game better then guild wars 2. Well and from patch-day I went to patch-week to patch-month, because not only are patches released incredibly buggy - they stay bugged for SEVERAL months if not years.
    Overall the storytelling is ok-ish. I've seen better, I've seen worse.
    The quality of the patches got worse and worse with every
    Overall the storytelling is ok-ish. I've seen better, I've seen worse.
    The quality of the patches got worse and worse with every release. The content feels like the same thing over and over again. Most things you do ingame are not rewarding at all. For players that spend a longer time ingame there is simply not enough to do. What do I mean by that? Let me tell you what my playtime looks like: Mondays I jump in the game, just to do the weekly raid reclears in like 2 hours (raids, that have been in the game for years. The release of the last raidwing is more than a year ago...) Some evenings I do a quick fractal run which cant keep my group entertained for more than 30 minutes. Farming at this point is pointless - you cant progress gear and I dont want to build duplicate legendaries. But Arenanet stated - against what players want - that there will be no more dungeons and as far as I know no more raids. Content draught which gets me to stop playing.

And lastly the cashshop: What started off as some nice cosmetic rewards got a dump of putting new stuff in every other week just to earn more and more money. This isnt bad in itself, but selling CHAIRS? The shop got quite ridicculous...

TL;DR So all in all: A game that started off good a while ago, but cant deliver any content that keeps you playing. To top all of this off the content that is currently in the game is severely bugged. Content in the game keeps you doing stuff for max ~4h/week if you clear all of it.
  77. Nov 25, 2020
    Very, very trash game only low iq players like it. Even TESO is better. I recommend you World of Warcraft the Greatest game what ever made.
  78. Jul 18, 2020
    I am really impressed with the mounts and other gameplay elements added in this expansion. The story was also very interesting.
  79. Jun 18, 2021
    Introduced some of the best mounts you will ever find in any MMORPG. The story is still strong and everything is still overall very good.
  80. Jul 14, 2021
    Game goes to great lengths to push people towards real money purchases with excessive grind. There's also quite a bit of gambling through lootboxes, an issue ArenaNet has been ignoring by just disabling them in some of the affected countries (a list that has not been updated despite the changing legal landscape)

To top it off the setting of the expansion appears to be mostly fan-service

To top it off the setting of the expansion appears to be mostly fan-service and brutally drops the storyline from Heart of Thorns (the previous expansion) without ever properly resolving it. Character traits of popular characters were turned into caricatures because they proved popular.

The core gameplay is fun, but despite requiring a purchase the game feel more and more like a F2P game with the monetisation.
  81. Apr 12, 2022
    Let's be honest, shall we? The plot, great, for an MMO, in many ways better than even some single games! Gameplay remains on par, elite professions, interesting! Maunts?! Better mounts than in any game, in principle! The best behavior on horseback, wherever it was and not the main thing are the mounts are different from each other, not just skins, as in other games.
  82. Sep 7, 2020
    Cool story. Mounts are incredible. Loved environment. Metas are not good as HoT, but still cool.
  83. Nov 19, 2021
    The devs dont care about the game. If only the game got updated as much as the gem store.
  84. Nov 9, 2020
    ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎
  85. Dec 12, 2020
    After HOT the maps fells way to simple, but maybe players needed less verticality. The introduced mounts are the best, their implementation is very unique in the MMO genre. Story was ok. My biggest complaint is the path Anet choose after introducing mounts: PAY FOR THE SKINS or play with just the one. ZERO skins for being good player and playing the game, nothing. What of the most annoyingAfter HOT the maps fells way to simple, but maybe players needed less verticality. The introduced mounts are the best, their implementation is very unique in the MMO genre. Story was ok. My biggest complaint is the path Anet choose after introducing mounts: PAY FOR THE SKINS or play with just the one. ZERO skins for being good player and playing the game, nothing. What of the most annoying things is the ever present bug that makes your mount invisible, and your character stuck in place because somehow basic skin messes thing up. When I bought skins from gem shop and used them on mounts everything was fixed. Expand
  86. Jul 22, 2021
    Don't ever ever buy this game! I don't care the story or the content or other things. This game in 2021 has optimization problems! You cant even play the game because its using dx9? I bought it yesterday and started refunding today. This game has a loooot of technical problems. I suggest you to run away when you see this game.
  87. Aug 31, 2021
    Guild Wars 2 could be the best game in the world, but there is no Russian localization. Arena net is the most greedy company in the world. They sell the game, they sell skins in the game, but they can't find 3 cents for Russian localization. This is discrimination against the ru-community.
  88. Mar 14, 2022
    Story is awesome.
    The mounts are the best in MMOs.
    A lot of quality of life has been added.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2018
    A trip to the vast Crystal Desert is worth every penny if you’re mainly into PvE (the new maps are one-time affairs though due to lack of meta events), but it does not offer much to those who prefer PvP or WvW. [13/2017, p.44]
  2. PC Gamer
    Dec 15, 2017
    Not the most inventive MMO expansion, but a robust chunk of new maps that flesh out the best MMO around. [Christmas 2017, p.66]
  3. Nov 27, 2017
    Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire manages to do just enough to keep fans interested in visiting the world of Tyria by adding much needed features like mounts. The new class specializations also provide new and interesting ways to play your typical MMO class archetypes. Still, Path of Fire probably won't convince anyone who wasn't already enthralled with ArenaNet's MMORPG.