8.0

1. Nov 15, 2017
    If I were judging this as a movie, it'd have a higher rating. It is a decent storyline, better than the anime at least.

As a game it basically sucks. Tedious UI and travel. Repetitive meaningless combat that never challenges you. Bad controller controls with no in-game way to remap (have to use external programs which cause their own issues like buttons being stuck held down

As a game it basically sucks.

Tedious UI and travel.

Repetitive meaningless combat that never challenges you.

Bad controller controls with no in-game way to remap (have to use external programs which cause their own issues like buttons being stuck held down causing you to not attack or spin in circles).

Doesn't function when in background so you can't do other stuff while going through the endless cutscenes.

As a movie it's a solid 6/10, as a game however it is not worth the time or money. I'd recommend just watching the cutscenes on youtube.
  2. Jan 19, 2019
    This is a collection of 4 games (technically 3 games and a short epilogue). Even if you're unfamiliar with the .hack series you can jump in without having to worry as the few bits and pieces that relate to the anime and previous series are explained.
    The series is a story focused action RPG, the combat system is simple but remains entertaining throughout most of the 4 games as there is new elements being introduced each game. I'd say it's a middle ground between your run of the mill action RPG and hack'n slash like DMC. You can string combos, interrupt enemies but there's also spells and status effects. Don't get your hopes up though, even if I used DMC as an example it's nowhere near as developed, there's only 1 combo per weapon and 2 types of attack (regular and charged).
    Even if fighting is serviceable it's obvious the main attraction is just progressing through the story which is what will probably make or break the game for you. Even if most characters are what you'd find in a typical battle shonen manga the biggest positive is that the story spans 4 games, so each character gets their bit of development. Whether you like the characters themselves will be up to your tastes, as I said if you've consumed a lot of japanese media you will find the most common archetypes. The character design is sort of all over the place and even if there's furry and fujoshi(t) influences, I think some of them are pretty great. Even if I didn't like some characters looking like the Insane Clown Posse at first, I got used to it.

The biggest complaint I'd levy against the game is that it sometimes feel like they put so much in the story, cutscenes and voice acting that the gameplay is "stretched" to make the games as long as possible. I am mostly referring to the fact that there is little variety in environments and enemy types (although they get a lot of different models and skins) and yet you'll spend a lot of time in there. This isn't really the case in the volume 1&2 but gets noticeable in 3&4 where you'll go through 3 floors of a dungeon for a small dialog between characters.

Side note if you're a completionist, the 100% in the game is really tedious as hell. Part of it involves getting all the items in each volume (some of them requiring to trade with a very specific character out of 200) or even going in and out of an area/dungeon dozens of times hoping for something to be there. If you're the kind of person that absolutely needs to 100% everything, you aren't going to have a good time.

Personal score: 8/10 Highly recommended for newcomers and old school minded JRPG fans.
  3. Feb 4, 2019
    The greatest game series of all time receives a worthy remaster. 10/10, absolute perfection.
  4. May 8, 2020
    This is one of the best RPG games you really need to get. I have played it in 2019 and I totally loved it. It has allot of Anime feeling in it and the gameplay is kinda amazing. If you love RPG games and you love watching .hack anime then this game is a totally must have / play in your collection.
  5. Feb 4, 2019
    This is honestly, truthfully, one of the greatest games I've ever played for five minutes. I simply can't get enough of that main menu. It's so good everything else should be Thanos snapped since they can't compare to how good dat menu is B)

I give this game five bags of popcorn out of five
  6. Feb 4, 2019
    The game is good & very fun. Never played anything like it at all. With its deep, intricate story, and well fleshed our characters, I wish it had more recognition. Simply astounding. 10/10

Mixed or average reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 16, 2018
    .hack//G.U. Last Recode is really for the fans. The ability to go through the whole trilogy with overpowered characters is perfect for those who want to reminisce without the grind, and the bonus fourth episode adds a natural closure to the series. It becomes a little harder for new fans to get used to some of the JRPG tropes and the meandering pace of the first episode, but things pick up later, so it's worthwhile to stick with it. All in all, those interested in a title that most likely influenced other anime like Sword Art Online should definitely check out .hack//G.U. Last Recode.
  2. Nov 28, 2017
    .hack//G.U. has remained one of my all-time favorite games for many years, and Last Recode is a wonderful way to reintroduce gamers to this terrific universe. Players both old and new will be able to find something to love about this classic ensemble of games, but for me, the most exciting aspect of Last Recode is a minor conversation players can have with the character Piros the 3rd at the end of Reconnection. As a graphics artist for CC Corp, Piros lets slip that a new project is already underway. While Last Recode is currently the best way for players to experience the world of .hack, the promise of a possible future for the long-absent franchise is the best gift of all.
  3. Nov 17, 2017
    hack//G.U. Last Recode's intended audience is almost certainly established fans. It's a solid remaster that looks great and runs smoothly. But it's still a dated JRPG that dominates dozens of hours with sub-par combat and repetitive beats. If you have never experienced The World, it's unlikely that Last Recode will pull you in. For those that never wanted to log out, it's a decent way to reconnect.