9.1

1. Sep 24, 2020
    What a masterpiece! From the voice acting, to the level design, music, progression and story... I don't have enough words to praise this game as it deserves. Get it on the first chance you can and play it to completion, no need to thank me later.
  2. Sep 27, 2020
    One of the best games I've ever played. If you like Greek mythology, enjoy a story that unfolds itself over time, and don't mind some repetition (although with 6 weapons, hundreds of combinations with upgrades and powers, and plenty difficulty modifiers), YOU'LL LOVE THIS GAME, period.
  3. Oct 13, 2020
    ** Joined Hades on the last patch of Early Access, I am now about 100+ hours in. **

I love this game, it's so much fun and it just keeps being fun. Not only is the game loop really great, the builds are so distinct and work so differently with the weapons that each run feels like a different game. The art is amazing, the combat is smooth and fun, the characters are really fun to interact with and the OST is phenomenal.

I honestly can't find a fault in this game that isn't a minor gripe. Sure, some of the poison enemies are annoying and the last biome is built to punish you if you make a boss-killer build. But I am so enamoured with the world and enjoying the combat so much that none of it really matters.

Keep in mind that the game also lets you play it in your own pace, with a reduced difficulty mode and the credits being separated from the post-game for people who don't like grinding. The difficulty being adjustable after you progress enough through the game is also something I loved.

If you looked at the gameplay online and thought "this looks interesting" you'll love this game. As simple as that. Just keep in mind that if you are looking for a Diablo-esque experience, this is a bit different. Much more action oriented and built for shorter runs. This Binding of Isaac, but with a lot more control over powerups.
  4. Oct 15, 2020
    One of the most fun action RPGs I’ve ever played! Right up there with Diablo!
  5. Sep 25, 2020
    Greatest game in the rogue genre. Beautiful and funny. Hard and rewarding. But above all: super addictive.
  6. Sep 25, 2020
    Addictive, artistic, tons of fun.
    Quality dialog was a pleasant surprise. The characters are created with love.
  7. Oct 14, 2020
    I'm not have the opportunity to play many roguelikes before, so as a kind of noob is the genre I was completely catch by this game. After 29 runs I could manage my first escape and wooow, all in this game its incredible, a must play even if you aren't a roguelike gamer
  8. Oct 12, 2020
    Avec Hadès, Supergiant Game nous livre une ode à l’émancipation et à la liberté. Véritable Tragi-comédie teintée d’humour, le titre reprend à la perfection les qualités de ses productions précédentes. Son gameplay varié et complexe, ainsi que sa bande sonore nerveuse dans les combats vous procureront l’envie de continuer à casser du mort. Avec une histoire intelligemment livrée et desAvec Hadès, Supergiant Game nous livre une ode à l’émancipation et à la liberté. Véritable Tragi-comédie teintée d’humour, le titre reprend à la perfection les qualités de ses productions précédentes. Son gameplay varié et complexe, ainsi que sa bande sonore nerveuse dans les combats vous procureront l’envie de continuer à casser du mort. Avec une histoire intelligemment livrée et des personnages au charisme indéniable, Hadès pourrait s’avérer être la meilleure production du studio à ce jour et certainement l’un des meilleurs Rogue-Lite de cette année 2020.

Je recommande grandement le jeu pour les amoureux du genre.
  9. Sep 18, 2020
    A "revolution" in the roguelite genre, thanks to an always progressing character driven narrative that deepens as you loop (die) over and over. Familiarizing yourself with the symbols attached to the paths made available as you go, means you don't feel like your runs are being dictated by RNG alone, and that means you can slightly guide yourself to some amazing builds within the gameplayA "revolution" in the roguelite genre, thanks to an always progressing character driven narrative that deepens as you loop (die) over and over. Familiarizing yourself with the symbols attached to the paths made available as you go, means you don't feel like your runs are being dictated by RNG alone, and that means you can slightly guide yourself to some amazing builds within the gameplay loop. Boons (power ups) come by way of the many Olympic deities you call family, and that personal touch will likely result in you playing favorites... which can come with it's own surprises.

Probably Supergiant's best, and most accessible, game to-date. (Though Pyre remains my favorite.)
  10. Sep 18, 2020
    I gotta say, i've never played an isometric action-rpg since diablo 2 that made me have such fun. Combat is crisp, there's great deal of replayability due to random generated maps, random skills you get each run and different skillsets(weapon all behave differently). Boss fights are hard and require alot of your focus but they're not tedious at all, on the contrary they're very engaging.I gotta say, i've never played an isometric action-rpg since diablo 2 that made me have such fun. Combat is crisp, there's great deal of replayability due to random generated maps, random skills you get each run and different skillsets(weapon all behave differently). Boss fights are hard and require alot of your focus but they're not tedious at all, on the contrary they're very engaging. All creatures are entertaining to fight against, game does a good job of balancing fun and challenge.

Dialogue is very well done, it creates a very believable atmosphere (even though game is fantastic in nature), that we do cheer for Zagreus and his attempts at escape. There are many side characters, each one you want to talk to more. Frankly my only gripe with the game is that, after getting used to mechanics, game can be finished under an hour. Each "run", you try to escape the underworld, and once you die you start from the beginning. It takes a while to learn the game so you still have alot of hours to get there considering the general difficulty of the game. But after learning all that, you'll finish a run around 40 minutes. Definately worth the price though.
  11. Sep 21, 2020
    I've been playing BPM: Bullets per Minute, risk of rain 2, and other rogue like games but this game is something else. I literally made an account to post this score. Unlike any other games of the same genre, there's permanent upgrades .to choose. It actually feels accomplishing, instead of losing everything just for a highscore. Man I really love this game.
  12. Sep 22, 2020
    I've never written a review before, for anything, but this game has me spellbound. The art style, the voice acting, combat and yes even dying is top notch. Super Giant does it again!!! I will gladly be walking out of the pond of Styx for a long time to come.
  13. Sep 19, 2020
    Truly God-like Roguelike.
    I can't believe I have to say it, but: If you absolutely hate roguelikes, you're probably not gonna enjoy this one. Because it's a roguelike. That you hate. So maybe don't play it instead of buying something you hate and writing a negative review.
    ...just a thought.
  14. Sep 18, 2020
    This game is a gem SuperGiant delivered easily one of the best roguelike available. Fully voice-acted super addictive and challenging in a fair way that makes you want to get better.
  15. Sep 18, 2020
    Polish out the wazoooo. Great music, smooth combat, fully voice acted, compelling narrative. Mid-run upgrades are compelling and substantial. Post-run tasks are engaging. Can't really ask for anything more in a rogue-lite.
  16. Sep 19, 2020
    A rogue-like by Supergiant Games with breathtaking visuals, characters and gameplay. It’s a game that did early access right by releasing a feature-packed game nearly a year before release and adding more and more content each month while ironing out bugs or reworking mechanics that the people didn’t enjoy based on community feedback! If you are here for challenging gameplay, interestingA rogue-like by Supergiant Games with breathtaking visuals, characters and gameplay. It’s a game that did early access right by releasing a feature-packed game nearly a year before release and adding more and more content each month while ironing out bugs or reworking mechanics that the people didn’t enjoy based on community feedback! If you are here for challenging gameplay, interesting character relationships or a fascinating world both visually and musically, you are in for a ride! Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2020
    They said that isometric games are no longer valid
    They said that supergiants are overrated
    They said that its roguelike structure is awful
    Proven wrong
  18. Sep 20, 2020
    Incredible level of polish in every aspect. True masterpiece. Supergiants once again delivers an incredible game!
  19. Sep 20, 2020
    I'm hooked. This game sets the mood right away and slowly builds up to something even bigger. I'm so glad I waited for the official release before starting to play it.
  20. Sep 19, 2020
    An amazing rogue-like with a good story ,and spectacular voice acting.Supergiant naled it again.
  21. Sep 20, 2020
    I create a account only to review 10 in this masterpiece
    Congratulations SuperGiant Games, you surprise the world one more time.
    Very excited for the next masterpiece
  22. Sep 22, 2020
    The core gameplay is fun, and the game looks and sounds good. But the combat can be a visual mess, the story and characters lack any emotional depth, and you need to be prepared to play the game through 20+ times to reach the ending. And the ending itself is a big ol' slap in the face anticlimax.
  23. Sep 22, 2020
    Pretty generic, once again it's some kind of arcade rogue-like game with slow enemies and fast MC which easily kill hundreds of enemies but lose his abilities after death so longevity of game could be higher. Dialogues are worthless and game premise too primitive. Music and sound in overall are forgettable. Even Ruiner was better in terms of game mechanics and especially of music and soundPretty generic, once again it's some kind of arcade rogue-like game with slow enemies and fast MC which easily kill hundreds of enemies but lose his abilities after death so longevity of game could be higher. Dialogues are worthless and game premise too primitive. Music and sound in overall are forgettable. Even Ruiner was better in terms of game mechanics and especially of music and sound (and graphics obviously). Hades is a mindless copypasta of Bastion. Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2020
    Absolute masterpiece. Game of the Decade for me. Unique storytelling in action roguelite/-like with ridiculous skill and quality cap. Action meets strategy meets story.
  25. Sep 20, 2020
    played this for 30 hours in early access and look forward to playing many more - it is such a f*cking delight of an experience! incredibly addicting, fun, beautifully imaginative in it's reivention and retelling of myths and legendary characters, while also being engaging and with a STELLAR cast who, i'm sure, will be one of the main reasons we keep returning to this. strong contender forplayed this for 30 hours in early access and look forward to playing many more - it is such a f*cking delight of an experience! incredibly addicting, fun, beautifully imaginative in it's reivention and retelling of myths and legendary characters, while also being engaging and with a STELLAR cast who, i'm sure, will be one of the main reasons we keep returning to this. strong contender for game of the year. Expand
  26. Oct 16, 2020
    First up I should say I've not had the chance to finish the game yet. Ideally I'd finish every game I review, but I play so many games, on every platform, it makes it difficult. By the time I finish a game it's six months after its release date and the review is a lot less useful. I still post those late reviews, mainly because I like a game so much I feel the need to rave about it. ButFirst up I should say I've not had the chance to finish the game yet. Ideally I'd finish every game I review, but I play so many games, on every platform, it makes it difficult. By the time I finish a game it's six months after its release date and the review is a lot less useful. I still post those late reviews, mainly because I like a game so much I feel the need to rave about it. But generally my hand is forced and I review games I haven't yet finished.
    That out of the way, I'm about 10 - 12 hours in to Hades and I'm playing it on Switch. I got it with 20% off, which, as the review will make clear, is a very, very good deal.

PROS:

- Voice acting. Oh, the voice acting. Not just the acting but the quality of the writing and the characterisation. Zagreus, your protagonist is a deliciously dry, sarcastic young man - charismatic, caustic, cool. His father Hades is an alternately fulminating and whispering Big Bad, although it's much more complicated than that. Every one of the many characters is beautifully presented, written and voiced. The bosses are favourites of mine.

- The plot - it's a strange thing, to talk of a 'plot' in a roguelike, but probably the single cleverest thing Supergiant have done is to introduce a storyline into the spaces between runs. Generally in roguelikes those spaces are simple downtime to gather your wits and fortify your will for another attempt. They tend to have some shops that sell and buy stuff and some sort of mcguffin that powers you up permanently. And Hades has all that too, albeit refracted through the lens of Greek mythology.
    But Supergiant have introduced a gradually progressing narrative that proceeds with every death. Every time you die in a run and go back to the start the storyline takes another step forward. Characters in the starting hub disappear and reappear, new characters introduce themselves, plot twists are revealed. Secret connections between Zagreus and the rest of the Greek gods are clarified. It is a brilliant solution to the problem that all roguelikes besides Hades bump up against: the feeling of futility between runs.
    I remember at one point in Dead Cells getting seriously far into the game. It was the culmination of a painstaking effort. And then I died and I was hurtled back to the start. And it was at that point, after so many deaths and runs, that I simply lost interest. As brilliant an action game as it was, that feeling of futility and lack of tangible progression gradually built up as I played, and eventually I just gave up. Hades turns this typical weakness of the genre into a strength: every time you die the plot advances. New characters stop you to chat, or old characters reveal some dark truth about themselves. You learn more. It means that death has less of a sting than in other roguelikes. Death becomes part of the rhythm of the game, even something necessary, rather than a dull bore. It's a subtle, elegant, complete solution to what has been up until now a big negative with the genre.

- The gameplay. It's been a long time since I've played something this addictive. The loop of risk/reward is relentless: you're never more than a minute or so away from some shiny trinket that'll buff your character and give you a little adrenaline rush. Combine that with simple but skillful and tactical twitch action and it's up there with Celeste and Super Meat Boy as one of the most compulsive games I've played in the last ten years.

CONS:

- Well, it's a roguelike, and if you, like me, still have a problem with these kinds of games then there's no getting around that. However, Hades deals with the inherent flaws of the genre better than any other roguelike I've ever played. I dislike a lot of the baggage that accompanies this kind of game, especially procedurally generated levels. Yet the the game is so structurally exquisite I ended up not caring. It works around these flaws with such artistry, even turning some of them into positives.

- I'd say that the combat can get a little hard to read on the Switch. It's not a huge deal though.

That's about it for flaws...

I think right now a 9/10 is sufficient. I can imagine giving it a 10, especially when I think of how polished and stupidly playable this game is, but there is something about roguelikes that niggles at me still. Which is unfair I guess: since this game subverts the genre and turns its weaknesses into strengths throughout. Still, 9/10 it is.

This one of the most compulsive, lavish, complete and stylish indie games ever. The score is really irrelevant. If I could I'd get rid of it and just write 'GET IT NOW' at the top of my review. It's sublime.

12/10/2020: I have been playing Hades non-stop since my review a week or so ago, and have completed it eight times already. It is one of the best games I've ever played, a true once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece. I originally gave it a high 9/10, but now have come back to change it to a 10/10.
  27. Sep 21, 2020
    This is definitely my GOTY for 2020. It melds high action isometric gameplay, with a rewarding progression system (ironic, since you start from the beginning a lot) and an engaging melodramatic story.
  28. Sep 22, 2020
    This game is a Page Turner in game form, at the end of every run I think to myself 'Just one more run maybe?'. Every run is vastly different, with brilliant dialogue writing and Voice acting keeping you just as engaged as the fast-paced intense combat. Haven't been this engaged by a game in a long time.
  29. Sep 22, 2020
    Un juegazo como la copa de un pino.
    Mezcla lo mejor de cada casa.
    para mi de los mejores del año en switch. Una auntentica joya.
  30. Sep 21, 2020
    Absolutely amazing game.

Pure adrenalin.

If you are reading this, just get It! You won't feel dissapointed for sure.
  31. Sep 20, 2020
    The game deserves no less than a 90% score. What it sets out to do for the genre is impeccable and the gameplay is well above average and even the voice acting is amazing. If I were to have some criticism apart from a few glitches in the level design here in there I would say that the main problem is that if you want to complete it once by taking notice of its gameplay once and you don'tThe game deserves no less than a 90% score. What it sets out to do for the genre is impeccable and the gameplay is well above average and even the voice acting is amazing. If I were to have some criticism apart from a few glitches in the level design here in there I would say that the main problem is that if you want to complete it once by taking notice of its gameplay once and you don't want to spend WEEKS grinding for it to see the entire story it's lacking in that you will never see the whole story without extreme grinding. Expand
  32. Sep 19, 2020
    I really like Supergiant previous games (especially Bastion and Transistor), and this one is also well made technically. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is fun and fluid. However i cant recommend it, as it belong to most grindy and annoying genre there is, that is roguelike. I just cant stand games forcing you to play the same content over and over (without possibility to save) andI really like Supergiant previous games (especially Bastion and Transistor), and this one is also well made technically. Graphics are gorgeous, gameplay is fun and fluid. However i cant recommend it, as it belong to most grindy and annoying genre there is, that is roguelike. I just cant stand games forcing you to play the same content over and over (without possibility to save) and collect/grind tiny little points, so in 10 or 20 or 50 runs you become stronger, finally beat area 1 and can start the same loop at area 2.
    If you like grind and repeating the same stuff, this may be for you. If not- avoid. It could (and should) have been awesome single player story driven action rpg, with different gods powers as different classes, but unfortunately they have to put randomness and grindy roguelite mechanics everywhere. Disappointing.
  33. Sep 21, 2020
    I did it with a lot of anticipation, but it wasn't fun.

Dungeon & Fighter would be more fun.
  34. Sep 28, 2020
    Supergiant's best game yet. It's a good Diablo clone, and it's a good roguelite. Still very repetitive, but does numerous things to mitigate the repetition, so the fun lasts longer. Unlike some roguelites which feel limited in what you can do on a single run, Hades wants the player to go nuts and try different things. The weapon variations provide a great variety of play-styles. TheSupergiant's best game yet. It's a good Diablo clone, and it's a good roguelite. Still very repetitive, but does numerous things to mitigate the repetition, so the fun lasts longer. Unlike some roguelites which feel limited in what you can do on a single run, Hades wants the player to go nuts and try different things. The weapon variations provide a great variety of play-styles. The environments are highly detailed with nice colours, and visually diverse.

The quality of the art/visuals and sound is high enough that it's basically a playable cartoon. However, although there's tons of dialogue that reacts to a surprising number of specific situations, the narrative as a whole is puddle deep. It's aimed squarely at pre-teens, and while its borrowing of Greek myth is thorough, it's content with merely referencing things to make its audience feel smart. Anything it has to say about the mythology is expressed more so in their artistic vision of the characters, rather than the character/story arcs - with a couple exceptions.

Very minor insignificant spoilers in this paragraph:
    For example the story of Achilles and Patroclus is given a lot of attention (Achilles is an NPC and friend of the player-character), and it amounts to Patroclus moping around all day in Elysium because he misses Achilles, his lover. Now I hate to say this, but it has to be said because of how the devs have chosen to interpret this through the lens of their own politics: Achilles and Patroclus, characters from the Iliad of Homer, are not portrayed as homosexuals in the Iliad.
    They are buddies. It's only in the 20th century that college profs practicing revisionist history have strongly pushed for the idea that there is a hidden homosexual relationship between those characters. There's no evidence for it, you'd have to project that onto it yourself, which is what happened with the academics and is what happened here.
    So at the end of the day you have a storyline that the devs give a lot of attention to, yet it's so shallow and goes nowhere that in practical terms it's kind of just there to be there, and it's factually questionable. To me that leaves the only purpose for its existence is to send a message. And this is just one major example.

So without going into endless detail about all of that, in which case I should rather just make a youtube analysis or something, I just wanted to give that short explanation of why the game is subversive - because it is. And it's so subversive that there's more to say about what Supergiant has accomplished, in terms of subversion, than what they've achieved in the game design itself. The quality of the game only makes it more insidious.

The last thing I have to mention on that topic: The women. There are no young women in this game. There are no busty women in this game. We're talking about goddesses with idealized forms, and literally every single one ticks multiple of these boxes: a) 40+ age, b) face immediately recognizable as masculine, c) small bust that slopes and sags.
    This would be easier to accept if they had thrown boys a bone and at least made Aphrodite a babe, but no, it's as if it were stipulated in a contract that they must portray women a certain way. It's honestly frightening. This is coming from people who want you to think that Achilles and Patroclus were homosexuals and make it a central plot of their game, yet they're avoiding any depiction of a human breast drawn with a round line (and that's not an exaggeration).

And for those who will say it's not important and the game should only be judged for its gameplay, I disagree because it's clearly important to Supergiant games. They have gone out of their way to offer such a treatment of Greek myth, so much that it must be as important to them as it is to make the game good. Just something to think about.
  35. Sep 25, 2020
    Not sure what to think of this. The game has a lot of depht regarding dialogues and such. But the core gameplay is to redo the same thing over and over again, while upgrading slowly your character (very slowly). Yes, the level are randomly generated but after the 125 times you went into the same designs, it doesn't really matter. The fighting is perfect, the music, the voices are superb. INot sure what to think of this. The game has a lot of depht regarding dialogues and such. But the core gameplay is to redo the same thing over and over again, while upgrading slowly your character (very slowly). Yes, the level are randomly generated but after the 125 times you went into the same designs, it doesn't really matter. The fighting is perfect, the music, the voices are superb. I give it 70%. You can complain about quests repetitions in games...well this game, is essentially repetitions. Doesn't make it good in the end. Expand
  36. Sep 21, 2020
    The best roguelike game we'll probably ever have. The OST is amazing. The art style is pleasant to watch. The gameplay is satisfying and I don't know why, but somehow it doesn't feel repetitive even after 50 hours of playtime. When you finish the game, you just unlock one little fragment of the Lore so you should continue. I have 50 hours in the game and I don't feel that I've finished theThe best roguelike game we'll probably ever have. The OST is amazing. The art style is pleasant to watch. The gameplay is satisfying and I don't know why, but somehow it doesn't feel repetitive even after 50 hours of playtime. When you finish the game, you just unlock one little fragment of the Lore so you should continue. I have 50 hours in the game and I don't feel that I've finished the game. I don't want it to stop. I want to play at least 50 more hours and I will. It's perfect. Expand
  37. Sep 22, 2020
    I'm a few hours into Hades and I love it. It's challenging and rewarding and SO BEAUTIFUL. Supergiant games always makes gorgeous games, and games that feel good and fun to play. Roguelite's are very hit and miss and this one nails the potential of a roguelite for everyone, not just the masochists.
  38. Sep 21, 2020
    Hades feels like it has its own soul.
    The world feels alive and constantly moving despite infinite attempts to get out of Tartarus which is filled with genuinely challenging enemies and events. Exactly the direction I was hoping a rogue like would go.
  39. Sep 21, 2020
    Hades is simply wonderful. A rare example of a game where every little detail works perfectly in tune with everything else. No mechanic is there for the sake of being there. Narrative is masterfully woven into the core gameplay. Artwork is gorgeous. A jewel in Supergiant's crown. Or should I say gemstone :)
  40. Sep 26, 2020
    Hades and the Tedious Sisyphean Game Loop

I have little experience with rogue-like games. My last foray into the genre was Diablo III. I gave Hades 10 hours of play prior to quitting without finishing a runthrough. Why did I quit? In fairness, Hades' game loop is refreshingly tight: resurrect after death, banter a few dialogue lines with various mythological characters at home, buy
    Hades and the Tedious Sisyphean Game Loop

In fairness, Hades' game loop is refreshingly tight: resurrect after death, banter a few dialogue lines with various mythological characters at home, buy small character upgrades, venture out on a dungeon crawl through the same levels, collect single-run powerups to aid your attempt, die, and...do it all again. The combat feels punchy, and the multifarious mixture of weapons and single-run powers (boons) makes for a few hours of interesting combat. After that, it begins to feel like a smear of generic, furious button-mashing.

For me, the game loop was a double-edged sword. While tight, it became boring after a dozen escape attempts. The dialogue interludes are overwhelmingly facile permutations of "You shouldn't try to leave the Underworld, Zagreus!", or "You'll make it out eventually, boyo!" That, along with the glacially slowly unfolding story, and the mostly minor per-run character upgrades, just wasn't enough to motivate me to keep playing. I narrowly died to the final boss in run 16 and could only stomach a few more attempts before the allure of other games overwhelmed my motivation to slog through another Greek Groundhog Day escape attempt.

There were likely interesting story beats, upgrades, or new mechanics that I missed by quitting. But 10 hours was enough for me to cut losses and move on. ("I could be playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 or Fallout 4 again!") Overall my Hades experience was a mostly middling one. I can't recommend this game to others. Its charm turns to tedium too quickly.
  41. Sep 23, 2020
    Amazing game, amazing ost, amazing Art, and rlly rlly replayable, i cannot stop playing, help!
  42. Sep 21, 2020
    This video game is just worth the wait. The ending may not be that satisfied but Hades is a great game overall.
  43. Sep 22, 2020
    A roguelike, unlike any other.
    So good mechanics, incredible voice acting, tempting story, beautiful atmosphere.
    Best supergiant game so far, considering all of their games are noteworthy.
  44. Sep 21, 2020
    Ce jeu est parfait dans ce style... Et la bo est top : notamment Good Riddance
  45. Oct 6, 2020
    Big fan of their previous games and expected another tame and short ~10 hour game. I WAS WRONG. I'm 50 hours in and I seriously cannot stop playing. This is far and away the game of the year. Best soundtrack, best combat, fantastic voice acting, and so so much replayability.
  46. Oct 9, 2020
    "Rogue-like" is a new gaming genre for me. I've played plenty of shooters and RPGs with enjoyment, but replay value is often lacking because I get tired of the same NPCs in the same rooms with the same story.

The story of 'Hades' is intelligently based on Greek mythology, including the major figures from the pantheon and many minor or invented ones. Zagreus, son of Hades, is desperate to escape from the Underworld, where his father is determined to keep him. He has the help of Nyx and most of the Olympian deities, but determined opposition from the Furies and numerous other creatures. The game is built around his escape attempts.

By selecting 'God Mode' you can accumulate damage resistance and other benefits until you are able to defeat Hades and get to see a bit of Greece. This took me 31 attempts over 27 hours and I was never bored because the NPC interactions and room designs and the nature and numbers of enemies were never the same twice.

This game rewards fast reflexes but also considerations of strategy as you choose weapons and 'boons' the game offers. Some of these choices are cumulative over a single attempt and then evaporate, while others are cumulative but subject to modification at the beginning of a run. The House of Hades serves as a kind of home base, to which you return after each defeat. Going farther with each attempt is your reward. There are many sorts of currency in the game.

I found the story engrossing as I gradually learned more about the history of each NPC. Game-play was challenging for me, even on God Mode. I got a fair number of rare achievements. My successful attempt took 41 minutes. There is reasonable help available online, and a steep learning curve.

I recommend this game be played with controller rather than keyboard and mouse, and so do the developers. Fortunately, I found a good USB controller that has worked well for me.

Hades stands out in a crowded field for its overall quality, and deserves the favorable reviews it is getting. The price is a bargain on Steam. Enjoy!
  47. Oct 5, 2020
    I'm not a fan of rouge-likes, but this game is a treasure. I love every aspect of this game.
  48. Oct 1, 2020
    Oh nice, this weapon aspect looks cool. Maybe I'll do just one more run.
    -Me, everyday this past week, 4 AM.
  49. Sep 27, 2020
    The game fully embraces the roguelike genre. Each run feels distinct and may require you to adapt your strategy incrementally as you hedge for a particular build by selecting which gods or upgrade types you would prefer, but ultimately, are still at the mercy of the rng system. This game strikes a good balance of player control and randomness.

Further, each run earns you a variety of

Further, each run earns you a variety of currency types that you may invest any way you'd like to shape your strategies. Best of all are the character portraits and overall art direction. The high contrast and between the thick black outlines and the vibrantly saturated colors gives a dark yet still lively environment.

My only qualm is the lack of random bosses and other events that could help make each run feel more distinguishable. Unfortunately, both the rooms and the enemies are fairly monotonous. While the game is certainly repayable it could be even better with added content. Overall, my favorite game of the year. Excluding my addiction to animal crossing during quarantine.
  50. Oct 10, 2020
    42 years old, have played everything I can get my hands on since PONG, this is the BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. I hate the roguelike genre but this gets it right. I don't care about the debate on what is or isn't roguelite. Whatever label you want to put on this the game is AMAZING!
  51. Sep 26, 2020
    So goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  52. Oct 12, 2020
    Game is just fabulous. I dont usually luke rogue-like games but this one is special. The rogue-like element is really well done because you are never too mad about dying. Back at home you have so much to discover. The characters are really well voiced. I could go on for days like this... Just buy the game and play it
  53. Sep 24, 2020
    I quite like this game. Lots of fun, addictive, lots of depth. Well worth the $ for the hours you'll get out of it. Good characters and great voice acting. I would give it an 8-9/10.
  54. Oct 5, 2020
    Hades is one of the most enjoyable rogue-lite's i played in while here's why

pros: voice acting is just sooooo good i can listen to Zagreus and the other cast talk for hours the hack and slash game play is really good and enjoyable the art style and the world building really makes you feel is if you really are traversing threw hell and trying to get out there is a good
    Hades is one of the most enjoyable rogue-lite's i played in while here's why

pros:

the hack and slash game play is really good and enjoyable

there is a good amount of weapons you cant try on trinkets and skills that you get from the gods and every time you get different skills from different gods which just adds another layer to game play and diversity

the amount of replay value in this game is crazy while playing the early access version for the first time i spent around 7 hours just because of the amount of fun i had

the fact that you need to keep playing and keep dying just to know more about the world that you are in just shows how creative this game is and even if you die you don't really get sad about it you just want to keep on going and try to best yourself again and again while listening to some interesting dialog

cons: the story overall is kinda meh don't get me wrong it is good but i really expected a lot more out of it

overall as you can see except some minor nit picks with the story i really don't have anything bad to say about this game i really loved it i continue to play it and enjoy it i really recommend this game for rouge like lovers and for new comers alike which brings me to the final score a 9 out of 10
  55. Oct 21, 2020
    Some of the most fun I've had playing a game in recent times. The comic book art style drew me in, and the gameplay kept me hooked. Clearing the game for the first time gave me such a rush of exhilaration that I will surely come back for more. My only gripes with the game is that the runs feel somewhat short, some weapon upgrades feel much more useful than others, and my PC runs really hotSome of the most fun I've had playing a game in recent times. The comic book art style drew me in, and the gameplay kept me hooked. Clearing the game for the first time gave me such a rush of exhilaration that I will surely come back for more. My only gripes with the game is that the runs feel somewhat short, some weapon upgrades feel much more useful than others, and my PC runs really hot while playing this game. Other than that, I'm glad I listened to the rave reviews. One of the best in 2020.

Edit 10/22: Bumping my score up to a 10 for end-game content. Just wow.
  56. Oct 20, 2020
    TL;DR - Was not a fan of rogue likes for a while now, never tried dead cells which is probably the most famous of them all. But got hooked on Darkest Dungeon recently and I started to see the fun, Hades then comes along with a game that feels like it was built for me; Greek Myth that has been my jam since '05' with God of War from PS2 - check, fast pace smooth combat - check, tongue andTL;DR - Was not a fan of rogue likes for a while now, never tried dead cells which is probably the most famous of them all. But got hooked on Darkest Dungeon recently and I started to see the fun, Hades then comes along with a game that feels like it was built for me; Greek Myth that has been my jam since '05' with God of War from PS2 - check, fast pace smooth combat - check, tongue and cheek dialogue writing - check and I can keep going on. If it is not blatantly clear already Hades is an amazing experience provided you have the patience for uber grindy games in general.

The Good
    Wow so much good here. From art style to sound effects, visual effects to weapon arsenal, dialogue delivery and the God's personalities, there is just so much passion, love and fun poured into this game that it is almost unbelievable.

I could probably go on for paragraphs stating every little detail that is polished and tight knitted with other mechanics bonded with amazing art style amalgamated with fluid play style.
    So just to keep this short every aspect of this game is made with care and finesse almost coming off as a AAA title for a rogue-like experience. If you are a fan of the genre must play, must buy, must support devs.

The Bad
    None whatsoever for me personally. Though for a newcomer it may be a little daunting to try and get into the grind and the failure loop, but then this is a comment on the genre itself as roguelikes are notoriously hard by design.

Hades is quite a combination of Game Mechanics and Greek Lore, extremely satisfying for the lore-lover and the Gamer in me. This is a work of Excellence.
  57. Oct 7, 2020
    This was actually a pretty Above-decent Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler.The gameplay was fluid for the most part and I love the Isometric View.The power-up's are pretty decent even if some of the weapons are annoying to use and might take awhile to get used to them( **** the bow tho). The level design is pretty samey with some changes done after awhile later so that you can keep on playing andThis was actually a pretty Above-decent Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler.The gameplay was fluid for the most part and I love the Isometric View.The power-up's are pretty decent even if some of the weapons are annoying to use and might take awhile to get used to them( **** the bow tho). The level design is pretty samey with some changes done after awhile later so that you can keep on playing and say'' oooh something a little different''but sadly no matter how many changes they do it's still the same level,design,enemies and after a few hours it gets incredibly boring and tedious. The story is average nothing special to talk about it. Didn't really felt pumped up by the music one time either but it's not bad. For me the Shiniest part of the game is the Voice Acting and the Bloody Good Art. The Art Style is sexy and stylish and I love the great design given to every character. The interaction between characters is also very well done.This game is probably the only game which doesn't have a repeated voice line EVER.No matter how many times I died (A ****ing lot) there was never a repeated voice line which probably means that like 75% of the space is most likely from voice lines lmao. Expand
  58. Oct 4, 2020
    The voice acting, music, story and gameplay are all exceptional and I find myself thinking about this game even when not playing it.
  59. Sep 24, 2020
    I have played 300 hours and im not stopping anytime soon! I Love every supergiant game, but i think this is their best One yet
  60. Sep 27, 2020
    A game where death does not lead to sorrow. Great graphic and sound design. Best reiterate gameplay.
  61. Oct 12, 2020
    Aesthetics 10/10
    Music 10/10 Script and characters 10/10
    Combat system 11/10

Absolutely must play! EPIC!
  62. Oct 10, 2020
    Ca y est, la version 1.0 est enfin sortie ! Et je peux vous dire qu'Hadès enterre d'ores et déjà presque tous les rogue-like auquel j'ai pu jouer.

Pour preuve, tout est aux **** oignons. Pêle-même : la direction artistique ; la bande-son ; le gameplay ; la narration ; la progression ; les à-côtés... c'est simple, il n'y a pas eu un seul moment où je me suis ennuyé ! Je n'ai qu'une hâte, c'est de débloquer tous les **** à-côtés, les scénettes, les pouvoirs d'armes, etc...

Je commence à découvrir les ajouts de la release finale : trame scénaristique renforcée, nouveaux à côtés, nouveaux défis... et je m'en réjouis !

Pour une fois je ne vais pas tartiner trop longuement sur les qualités du jeu. C'est une tuerie, point. Foncez les yeux fermés.
  63. Oct 8, 2020
    Fantastic game! Definitly the best 20€ I've spent this year. Very fun and addictive gameplay loop and a well balanced and fair difficulty level.
  64. Oct 1, 2020
    This game is an absolute gem. Very polished and addictive gameplay, numerous mechanics, challenging difficulty and astounding narrative. Do not hesitate acquiring this game, totally worth it and much better than most AAA games out there!
  65. Oct 3, 2020
    Hermoso juego muy recomendable. Es el único roguelike que realmente he disfrutado y me ha atrapado, no dead cells es tan atrapante ya que incluso este último me aburre por no tener una historia que te atrapé al principio
  66. Sep 28, 2020
    Hades is the only Rogue-like that I have ever played and kept playing. Such beautiful characters and world, only possible through the masterful work of Supergiant games. The underworld theme just Meshes so well with the genre. But the real stars are the Greek and Chthonic gods, amazing artwork, perfect writing and voice acting. This game will have you hooked and keep you engaged withHades is the only Rogue-like that I have ever played and kept playing. Such beautiful characters and world, only possible through the masterful work of Supergiant games. The underworld theme just Meshes so well with the genre. But the real stars are the Greek and Chthonic gods, amazing artwork, perfect writing and voice acting. This game will have you hooked and keep you engaged with constant storytelling through every aspect of the game, even combat. My full review here : https://youtu.be/hiUYhIH8S1Q Expand
  67. Oct 19, 2020
    Эталонный рогалик, пожалуй лучший из всех мною сыгранных. Со всем уважением к Binding of Isaac, Hades уделывает его по всем фронтам. Бодрая и динамичная боевая система, куча проработанных персонажей с огромным количеством озвученных диалогов, невероятно клевый ари-дизайн самих богов и локаций. Игра буквально засасывает с головой, ты делаешь попытку за попыткой, терпишь поражение и снова...Эталонный рогалик, пожалуй лучший из всех мною сыгранных. Со всем уважением к Binding of Isaac, Hades уделывает его по всем фронтам. Бодрая и динамичная боевая система, куча проработанных персонажей с огромным количеством озвученных диалогов, невероятно клевый ари-дизайн самих богов и локаций. Игра буквально засасывает с головой, ты делаешь попытку за попыткой, терпишь поражение и снова... А, казалось бы, секрет успеха прост - сделать смерть обыденной частью сюжета для бессмертного героя и каждый раз после нее развивать сюжет и диалоги персонажей. Потому смерть не кажется чем то удручающим - ты узнаешь больше о мире и продвигаешь сюжетные перипетии. С трудом представляю сколько диалогов было прописано и озвучено для этой игры, но пока что Hades, объективно, лучшая в жанре. Поставлю максимальный балл. Expand
  68. Oct 5, 2020
    This really is a gem!

The soundtrack is in a class of it self. It has a story and characters that you care about. Great variety in weapons and environments. High replayability.

However, if you do not like to grind, the game-loop can become quite tedious.
  69. Oct 8, 2020
    Hades is my first action roguelike game, and based on how much I've played, I can say it is an amazing introduction for me to the genre.

Gameplay is fast and full of never ending action. The boons that you earn in each dungeon significantly alter your abilities in interesting ways. What I personally prefer is lightning striking when I dash, water spreading to other enemies when I use my Cast, and when I am hit, Weak inflicts upon my attackers. I love the fact that you can also sacrifice boons in later areas and give yourself room to try others without needing to die and restart. That is another thing, dying never frustrates me, as when I return back to the main hub area, there is always something new, be it someone speaking to another or just offering new dialogue to me. I love that you can choose from different weapons and also get upgrades such as a second chance after dying, which I have 2 of those, as well as gaining money every time you enter a dungeon room. There is SO SO much more to talk about but I don't want this review to go on longer.

The presentation of Hades is so mysterious, electric and yet calm at times. The story hasn't fleshed out too hard at the point where I'm at, but slowly I am figuring out information about the lore in this game and I'm always more and more interested to know more. Not much else to say about it.

Character design is impressive to say the least. Most of the time when I play mythological games, characters seem generic in design to me, but I am in love with EVERYONE in design here. Most of all Zag and Aphrodite. These designs are actually perfect. It's incredible. Props to the Jen Zee for the astounding work here.

OST is super immersive. Every piece of music helps me really sink into the fact that I'm always in unknown ever-changing territories and that I need to be on my toes. I plan to purchase this soundtrack very soon, because despite the intensity of it, there is also a relaxing charm to a lot of these tracks. It's hard for me to describe how stellar the OST is apart from that. I had never heard Darren Korb's work before now, but hearing that he has made music for past Supergiant games is instantly selling me on playing them.

Overall, I want to say that despite not having beat the game nor getting past Elysium, Hades is an actual masterpiece. I have not been so addicted consistently to a game like this for over a year now, and I am more than satisfied with the $19.99 I spent on this game at launch week. I can't believe how much love and passion has poured into a game this cheap, and I honestly wish I spent something more like $39.99 on it. I'm going to double dip on this game and get the Switch port, and I will also be purchasing the OST. I want more games like this, which I'm sure I can definitely find if I go take a peek in not only Supergiant's past games, but the genre as a whole.

This is my GOTY.

Rating: 10/10
  70. Oct 1, 2020
    I have not found a replay ability factor for a game, since Diablo 2. It’s like opening a box of chocolates, since levels are different and the powers received by the Gods are different.,
  71. Sep 27, 2020
    World mythology is my life. If somebody told me Neil Gaiman wrote/co-wrote the story I'd absolutely believe it. It's excellent! There is such a deep and profound respect/love for the mythology/lore. The gods are done so well! Something just rings authentic about each and every one. The game-play, music, humor and overall aesthetic; it's all top-notch. The game-play loop is perfect, theWorld mythology is my life. If somebody told me Neil Gaiman wrote/co-wrote the story I'd absolutely believe it. It's excellent! There is such a deep and profound respect/love for the mythology/lore. The gods are done so well! Something just rings authentic about each and every one. The game-play, music, humor and overall aesthetic; it's all top-notch. The game-play loop is perfect, the sense of progression satisfying; and that ' just one more run' compulsion hasn't hooked me like this since the release of Dead Cells. Here's hoping more games are set in this same universe. Expand
  72. Sep 26, 2020
    Debo decir que nunca he jugado a un acción-rpg isométrico desde diablo 2 que me hizo divertirme tanto. El combate es nítido, hay una gran cantidad de rejugabilidad debido a los mapas generados al azar, las habilidades aleatorias que se obtiene cada carrera y diferentes conjuntos de habilidades (arma todos se comportan de manera diferente). Las peleas de jefes son duras y requieren mucho deDebo decir que nunca he jugado a un acción-rpg isométrico desde diablo 2 que me hizo divertirme tanto. El combate es nítido, hay una gran cantidad de rejugabilidad debido a los mapas generados al azar, las habilidades aleatorias que se obtiene cada carrera y diferentes conjuntos de habilidades (arma todos se comportan de manera diferente). Las peleas de jefes son duras y requieren mucho de tu enfoque, pero no son tediosas en absoluto, al contrario son muy atractivas. Todas las criaturas son entretenidas para luchar contra, el juego hace un buen trabajo de equilibrio de diversión y desafío.

El diálogo está muy bien hecho, crea una atmósfera muy creíble (aunque el juego es fantástico en la naturaleza), que animamos a Zagreus y sus intentos de escapar. Hay muchos personajes secundarios, cada uno con el que quieres hablar más. Francamente mi única queja con el juego es que, después de acostumbrarse a la mecánica, el juego se puede terminar en menos de una hora. Cada "corre", intentas escapar del inframundo, y una vez que mueres empiezas desde el principio. Se tarda un tiempo en aprender el juego por lo que todavía tiene un montón de horas para llegar allí teniendo en cuenta la dificultad general del juego. Pero después de enterarse de todo eso, terminarás una carrera de unos 40 minutos. Definitivamente vale la pena el precio aunque.
  73. Sep 26, 2020
    Incredible game. Addictive, smooth gameplay, amazing progression. Game of the year for me..
  74. Sep 26, 2020
    Really solid roguelike with a nice, captivating soundtrack and beautiful graphics. The fun, action-packed gameplay, the amount of different builds you can make and the different weapons keep the game entertaining, even after dozens of runs. Characters are likeable and the world lore is interesting. Supergiant Games did a great job with this game. Can't recommend enough.
  75. Sep 28, 2020
    An amazing evolution of the Rogue-like genre, every element is beyond amazing. So much heart and soul obviously went into this experience as a whole. I've not been able to stop thinking about it since I started playing, it's so incredibly addicting. The art, music, and especially the voice acting are exemplary, and the gameplay has me coming back for more over and over. I never feel badAn amazing evolution of the Rogue-like genre, every element is beyond amazing. So much heart and soul obviously went into this experience as a whole. I've not been able to stop thinking about it since I started playing, it's so incredibly addicting. The art, music, and especially the voice acting are exemplary, and the gameplay has me coming back for more over and over. I never feel bad about the end of a run, I just want to start another one as soon as possible. The story is very touching and all the characters are well written and enjoyable. But most importantly, YOU CAN PET THE DOG! Expand
  76. Sep 28, 2020
    Such an amazing game, great story telling and re-playability. Keep playing and falling in love with the game a little bit more every time. The customization and flexibility makes every run fresh and unique! Definitely a "Must Play" game!
  77. Sep 30, 2020
    This game most certainly is a lot of fun. Everything, from general core controls, the fluidity of movement and combat is just awesome. I really liked the approach that you can select your own path through the various rooms and you're not just locked into one single path that you have no control over at all. Story unfolding is also a nice touch.
  78. Oct 1, 2020
    the details are so well done that it’s overwhelming to even think of where to begin to praise this game

anyone giving a low score clearly shows their lack of taste in games, even if you don’t enjoy this type of gameplay you can’t deny the style and quality that this game oozes
  79. Oct 2, 2020
    One of my absolute favorite rogue-likes in recent memory! The combat feels great, enemy diversity is on point, and I'm still pretty blown away by all of the recorded dialogue options! Creating combat synergies is a ton of fun and creates a fantastic twist on the formula. And the characters are truly wonderful!
  80. Oct 2, 2020
    Absolutely stellar. The story and characters are compelling, the art is gorgeous, and the combat is challenging without being frustrating. This game is an absolute joy to play.

My one caveat is that a LOT of repetition is required to advance both the story and leveling up Zagreus' skills. I personally think that the gameplay is so much fun that I don't mind repeating levels, and it fits thematically in any case, but some players will find that frustrating.
  81. Oct 10, 2020
    Never played a game with this kind of replayabilaty. Each run differs and the combinations to make seem endless. Next to that the game art could hang in the Louvre. Simply a must to play,
  82. Oct 13, 2020
    Эту игру можно брать не раздумывая и за полную цену. Supergiant снова показала, что может делать шикарные игры. В игру хочется возвращаться, она не надоедает. А каждая попытка побега отличается от предыдущей.
    Персонажи вызывают симпатию. С ними хочется общаться, а Цербера просто грех не погладить, когда в очередной раз попадаешь домой.

Universal acclaim - based on 45 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 20, 2020
    Rogue-lites may be an acquired taste for some, but it’s hard to envision a world where Hades isn’t an easy recommendation. By the time credits rolled on the main story, there was plenty more to discover and unlock as well as the desire to do so. It may not have the infinite replayability some of the others in the genre are often considered to have but its focus on narrative and characters will give a satisfying enough conclusion even without all that. It’s a game to lose a night to or play in reasonable chunks and still get something out of. It is Supergiant Games’ best effort by far and that is no small feat.
    Whenever I play a new Supergiant title, I always find myself absolutely enthralled with it, transfixed by its visual allure and engaging gameplay. After playing their second title Transistor, I was convinced that they wouldn’t be able to top themselves, but I stand corrected. Hades is a perfect amalgamation of everything that makes Supergiant Games one of the best independent developers out there, with a killer gameplay loop, heartfelt story, and writing that will have you hinging on every single word. This game deserves all the attention it’s getting and more, and I implore you to play it for yourself.
  3. Oct 16, 2020
    After launching the official version, "Hades" can not only attract a large number of players with a very charming and in-depth combat system, but also a rich story that can stand out among many Roguelike games.