8.8

1. Sep 18, 2020
    A "revolution" in the roguelite genre, thanks to an always progressing character driven narrative that deepens as you loop (die) over and over. Familiarizing yourself with the symbols attached to the paths made available as you go, means you don't feel like your runs are being dictated by RNG alone, and that means you can slightly guide yourself to some amazing builds within the gameplayA "revolution" in the roguelite genre, thanks to an always progressing character driven narrative that deepens as you loop (die) over and over. Familiarizing yourself with the symbols attached to the paths made available as you go, means you don't feel like your runs are being dictated by RNG alone, and that means you can slightly guide yourself to some amazing builds within the gameplay loop. Boons (power ups) come by way of the many Olympic deities you call family, and that personal touch will likely result in you playing favorites... which can come with it's own surprises.

Probably Supergiant's best, and most accessible, game to-date. (Though Pyre remains my favorite.)
  2. Jul 29, 2021
    Unless you like grinding, repetitive games with a lackluster story with boring upgrades for weapons - you most likely won't enjoy this game. It was fun until I made it to the "ending" a few times. Then you find out that the developer decided to make almost every character in the game gay and trans and the only story you're getting is how much they miss their lover and now it's your job toUnless you like grinding, repetitive games with a lackluster story with boring upgrades for weapons - you most likely won't enjoy this game. It was fun until I made it to the "ending" a few times. Then you find out that the developer decided to make almost every character in the game gay and trans and the only story you're getting is how much they miss their lover and now it's your job to fix them back up.

Honestly, it felt like the developers really wanted to push their fetish onto unaware gamers. No one ever mentions these things. You'll most likely know the name Aphrodite? Well she's the Greek goddess of beauty, sex, reproduction, etc. When you meet her, her drawing is a nude woman that looks great, until you look up at her face, which is a mans face wearing a wig. Very jarring. They obviously changed that at some point I believe she had a womans face. Because there's a poster you can buy to put on your wall and it has a womans face on it.

After you beat the game a few times, you start to realize how boring it is beating it over and over to get a new paragraph of story each time. Also, Achilles (Brad Pitt's character in Troy) is gay in the game...
  3. Jul 24, 2021
    There is such a mediocre amount of content in this game and the few that you can find is too repetitive and gets boring after the first playthrough. The boss fights are boring, unsatisfying and can be very frustrating at first when you have nothing in your arsenal, but later they get way too easy that you find yourself one shoting them. Also, there is a level of randomness that is completeThere is such a mediocre amount of content in this game and the few that you can find is too repetitive and gets boring after the first playthrough. The boss fights are boring, unsatisfying and can be very frustrating at first when you have nothing in your arsenal, but later they get way too easy that you find yourself one shoting them. Also, there is a level of randomness that is complete trash, sometimes your character decides to run into the lava because he feels like it, the deflect timing feels weird as hell too. Overall bad experience, I wish I played it right when I bought it so that I could have gotten a refund. Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2021
    As a Greek person, I am very grateful for this game and I love how it portrays Ancient Greece and Greek Mythology. I don't like the concept of Rogue-Like games, but Hades was very enjoyable from start to finish. The characters are the highlight of the game for sure, every character is very likeable, they all have their own personalities, and they really enhance the story of the game, whichAs a Greek person, I am very grateful for this game and I love how it portrays Ancient Greece and Greek Mythology. I don't like the concept of Rogue-Like games, but Hades was very enjoyable from start to finish. The characters are the highlight of the game for sure, every character is very likeable, they all have their own personalities, and they really enhance the story of the game, which is very simple and all around just good. The gameplay is fantastic, all the power ups and the Boons make it less repetitive, which is a big issue with Rogue-Like games, and I absolutely love how Hades tries to stay away from repetitiveness as much as possible, by adding unique dialogue to almost every encounter, it's crazy how much effort was put into this game. Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2021
    I played this for several hours and I think I'm done. The game is too repetitive. You fight the same enemies over and over again. The variety comes from mixing boons and weapons in different combinations. This wasn't interesting enough to capture my interest.
  6. Nov 6, 2020
    Game was fun until it suddenly ran out of content. I did not expect Elysium to be the last "real" area, with the Temple of Styx feeling like a tacked-on afterthought, and the final boss to be vastly easier than in Elysium. I had also just barely started the upgrade tree of the weapons when there was suddenly no more game to use them on. They apparently expect me to keep fighting throughGame was fun until it suddenly ran out of content. I did not expect Elysium to be the last "real" area, with the Temple of Styx feeling like a tacked-on afterthought, and the final boss to be vastly easier than in Elysium. I had also just barely started the upgrade tree of the weapons when there was suddenly no more game to use them on. They apparently expect me to keep fighting through the whole game over and over again just for story options and those weapon unlocks. Sorry, that's not what a "masterpiece" game does. That's what a hack indie game trying to pad its content does. Game feels a LOT like they got tired of making it just released "what they had". Expand
  7. Oct 28, 2020
    A lot great things about the game: Great style, fantastic voiceacting, good sound design, good UI etc etc. however where it fell apart for me after about 15 hrs or so is the gameplay: it's too repetitive. Every run felt more or less the same and the "boons" and trinkets don't really mix up gameplay. So it felt like a gigantic repetitive grind to do the same thing over and over again in theA lot great things about the game: Great style, fantastic voiceacting, good sound design, good UI etc etc. however where it fell apart for me after about 15 hrs or so is the gameplay: it's too repetitive. Every run felt more or less the same and the "boons" and trinkets don't really mix up gameplay. So it felt like a gigantic repetitive grind to do the same thing over and over again in the same floors vs the same enemies and the same bosses and that for a few more scraps or a tiny bit of story progression and if you grind the same repetetive thing (that you already beaten 40 times) just a few more dozen times you might be able to one day afford that upgrade that boosts something by 10% *YAWN*. also the weapons felt too samey, overall I have played roguelikes/roguelites that had WAY better variety where some runs you would have a completely different upgradeprogression than others and the gameplay was entirely different based on that and sometimes you hit a jackpot with some ridiculous combos, or something that tremendously mixed up the repetitiveness. Not here - repetitiveness is the name of the game, and not in a good (addicting) way, but the tedious, "why am I wasting my time" type of repetitiveness.

overall: 6/10, Fine. Everything is a solid 9/10 but gameplay drags it down to mediocrity.
  8. Oct 7, 2020
    This was actually a pretty Above-decent Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler.The gameplay was fluid for the most part and I love the Isometric View.The power-up's are pretty decent even if some of the weapons are annoying to use and might take awhile to get used to them( **** the bow tho). The level design is pretty samey with some changes done after awhile later so that you can keep on playing andThis was actually a pretty Above-decent Rogue-Like Dungeon Crawler.The gameplay was fluid for the most part and I love the Isometric View.The power-up's are pretty decent even if some of the weapons are annoying to use and might take awhile to get used to them( **** the bow tho). The level design is pretty samey with some changes done after awhile later so that you can keep on playing and say'' oooh something a little different''but sadly no matter how many changes they do it's still the same level,design,enemies and after a few hours it gets incredibly boring and tedious. The story is average nothing special to talk about it. Didn't really felt pumped up by the music one time either but it's not bad. For me the Shiniest part of the game is the Voice Acting and the Bloody Good Art. The Art Style is sexy and stylish and I love the great design given to every character. The interaction between characters is also very well done.This game is probably the only game which doesn't have a repeated voice line EVER.No matter how many times I died (A ****ing lot) there was never a repeated voice line which probably means that like 75% of the space is most likely from voice lines lmao. Expand
  9. Sep 26, 2020
    Hades and the Tedious Sisyphean Game Loop

I have little experience with rogue-like games. My last foray into the genre was Diablo III. I gave Hades 10 hours of play prior to quitting without finishing a runthrough. Why did I quit? In fairness, Hades' game loop is refreshingly tight: resurrect after death, banter a few dialogue lines with various mythological characters at home, buy
    Hades and the Tedious Sisyphean Game Loop

In fairness, Hades' game loop is refreshingly tight: resurrect after death, banter a few dialogue lines with various mythological characters at home, buy small character upgrades, venture out on a dungeon crawl through the same levels, collect single-run powerups to aid your attempt, die, and...do it all again. The combat feels punchy, and the multifarious mixture of weapons and single-run powers (boons) makes for a few hours of interesting combat. After that, it begins to feel like a smear of generic, furious button-mashing.

For me, the game loop was a double-edged sword. While tight, it became boring after a dozen escape attempts. The dialogue interludes are overwhelmingly facile permutations of "You shouldn't try to leave the Underworld, Zagreus!", or "You'll make it out eventually, boyo!" That, along with the glacially slowly unfolding story, and the mostly minor per-run character upgrades, just wasn't enough to motivate me to keep playing. I narrowly died to the final boss in run 16 and could only stomach a few more attempts before the allure of other games overwhelmed my motivation to slog through another Greek Groundhog Day escape attempt.

There were likely interesting story beats, upgrades, or new mechanics that I missed by quitting. But 10 hours was enough for me to cut losses and move on. ("I could be playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 or Fallout 4 again!") Overall my Hades experience was a mostly middling one. I can't recommend this game to others. Its charm turns to tedium too quickly.
  10. Sep 24, 2020
    What a masterpiece! From the voice acting, to the level design, music, progression and story... I don't have enough words to praise this game as it deserves. Get it on the first chance you can and play it to completion, no need to thank me later.
  11. cmp
    Feb 12, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Me gusta el diseño del juego y cómo se ha enfocado la historia. Pero parece un poco repetitivo, me parece un juego del que tienes que morir constantemente para conseguir mejoras y que cuando mueres siempre tienes que volver al mismo lugar (aunque puedas elegir caminos diferentes). Lo tengo pendiente jugarlo unas horas más, ya que creo que debería darle un poco más de cariño. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2020
    One of the best games I've ever played. If you like Greek mythology, enjoy a story that unfolds itself over time, and don't mind some repetition (although with 6 weapons, hundreds of combinations with upgrades and powers, and plenty difficulty modifiers), YOU'LL LOVE THIS GAME, period.
  13. Oct 14, 2020
    I'm not have the opportunity to play many roguelikes before, so as a kind of noob is the genre I was completely catch by this game. After 29 runs I could manage my first escape and wooow, all in this game its incredible, a must play even if you aren't a roguelike gamer
  14. May 13, 2021
    Same **** thing over and over and over again its so repetetive and exhausting **** game **** you.
  15. Sep 22, 2020
    The core gameplay is fun, and the game looks and sounds good. But the combat can be a visual mess, the story and characters lack any emotional depth, and you need to be prepared to play the game through 20+ times to reach the ending. And the ending itself is a big ol' slap in the face anticlimax.
  16. Feb 3, 2021
    HADES is DIABLO + ROGUE with cartoon graphics. Just like another Japanese 3rd Person game that shall not be named, be prepared to die. Over and over and over again. Be prepared to wear out the left mouse button because you're gonna be clicking it a lot. Be prepared for repetition.
    I seriously cannot understand why this game is being heralded as the Second Coming of Christ - it's BORING as hell. The cartoonish graphics are another major kiss of death, that's also the reason why I hated the TORCHLIGHT series. Bring back the dark Gothic style of DIABLO 1 (the only DIABLO game worth playing!).
    It's grindy and repetitive. Thank God for refund policies!
  17. Oct 13, 2020
    ** Joined Hades on the last patch of Early Access, I am now about 100+ hours in. **

I love this game, it's so much fun and it just keeps being fun. Not only is the game loop really great, the builds are so distinct and work so differently with the weapons that each run feels like a different game. The art is amazing, the combat is smooth and fun, the characters are really fun to interact with and the OST is phenomenal.

I honestly can't find a fault in this game that isn't a minor gripe. Sure, some of the poison enemies are annoying and the last biome is built to punish you if you make a boss-killer build. But I am so enamoured with the world and enjoying the combat so much that none of it really matters.

Keep in mind that the game also lets you play it in your own pace, with a reduced difficulty mode and the credits being separated from the post-game for people who don't like grinding. The difficulty being adjustable after you progress enough through the game is also something I loved.

If you looked at the gameplay online and thought "this looks interesting" you'll love this game. As simple as that. Just keep in mind that if you are looking for a Diablo-esque experience, this is a bit different. Much more action oriented and built for shorter runs. This Binding of Isaac, but with a lot more control over powerups.
  18. Sep 27, 2020
    The game fully embraces the roguelike genre. Each run feels distinct and may require you to adapt your strategy incrementally as you hedge for a particular build by selecting which gods or upgrade types you would prefer, but ultimately, are still at the mercy of the rng system. This game strikes a good balance of player control and randomness.

Further, each run earns you a variety of

Further, each run earns you a variety of currency types that you may invest any way you'd like to shape your strategies. Best of all are the character portraits and overall art direction. The high contrast and between the thick black outlines and the vibrantly saturated colors gives a dark yet still lively environment.

My only qualm is the lack of random bosses and other events that could help make each run feel more distinguishable. Unfortunately, both the rooms and the enemies are fairly monotonous. While the game is certainly repayable it could be even better with added content. Overall, my favorite game of the year. Excluding my addiction to animal crossing during quarantine.
  19. Mar 8, 2021
    I read a lot of good reviews so i thought i'd take a shot but i wouldn't recommend it for fun.

It's to addictive and it pushes it on you aggressively. It's repetitive and you get to a point where the fun is replaced with being annoyed. It's a extreme grind fest and the buffs dont seem to do anything as a certain point. It will give you RSI this thing is a massive button mash i don't

It's to addictive and it pushes it on you aggressively.
    It will give you RSI this thing is a massive button mash i don't think i've ever felt like my hands were this sore in a long, long time.
    It's very hard to master the difficulty of this thing is very hard I didn't play demon souls because it was rumored to be terribly hard but this didn't have the same notoriety it should be warned that if you want variety you won't find it here.
    The story is not so rewarding I don't know what I'm suppose to do in this game. Escaping the underworld isn't as rewarding as you would think.
    It's like demon souls which I really didn't understand either and didn't attempt.

Maybe if I was younger I'd love it more.
  20. Mar 30, 2021
    Im really not boycotting this game but its a prime example of the hype train, overhyping and generally people trying to show how much they love games.

This game in its core is nothing but a hack and slash thats not very addicting or satisfying, its very dull and uninspiring, only thing it has going for it is the art style which is very neat to look at but that gets worn out pretty soon as well as there isnt much variation in the art.

Combat feels the same, its the same thing with the shield, bow and arrow and sword, there is no strategy it is attack, dodge, attack, dodge and so on, absolutely no strategy included.

In conclusion this game gets boring after ~60 minutes, it is what it is I guess, I just want more out of a game than a shallow puddle.
  21. Oct 5, 2020
    This really is a gem!

The soundtrack is in a class of it self. It has a story and characters that you care about. Great variety in weapons and environments. High replayability.

However, if you do not like to grind, the game-loop can become quite tedious.
  22. Sep 26, 2020
    Debo decir que nunca he jugado a un acción-rpg isométrico desde diablo 2 que me hizo divertirme tanto. El combate es nítido, hay una gran cantidad de rejugabilidad debido a los mapas generados al azar, las habilidades aleatorias que se obtiene cada carrera y diferentes conjuntos de habilidades (arma todos se comportan de manera diferente). Las peleas de jefes son duras y requieren mucho deDebo decir que nunca he jugado a un acción-rpg isométrico desde diablo 2 que me hizo divertirme tanto. El combate es nítido, hay una gran cantidad de rejugabilidad debido a los mapas generados al azar, las habilidades aleatorias que se obtiene cada carrera y diferentes conjuntos de habilidades (arma todos se comportan de manera diferente). Las peleas de jefes son duras y requieren mucho de tu enfoque, pero no son tediosas en absoluto, al contrario son muy atractivas. Todas las criaturas son entretenidas para luchar contra, el juego hace un buen trabajo de equilibrio de diversión y desafío.

El diálogo está muy bien hecho, crea una atmósfera muy creíble (aunque el juego es fantástico en la naturaleza), que animamos a Zagreus y sus intentos de escapar. Hay muchos personajes secundarios, cada uno con el que quieres hablar más. Francamente mi única queja con el juego es que, después de acostumbrarse a la mecánica, el juego se puede terminar en menos de una hora. Cada "corre", intentas escapar del inframundo, y una vez que mueres empiezas desde el principio. Se tarda un tiempo en aprender el juego por lo que todavía tiene un montón de horas para llegar allí teniendo en cuenta la dificultad general del juego. Pero después de enterarse de todo eso, terminarás una carrera de unos 40 minutos. Definitivamente vale la pena el precio aunque.
  23. Oct 5, 2020
    Hades is one of the most enjoyable rogue-lite's i played in while here's why

pros: voice acting is just sooooo good i can listen to Zagreus and the other cast talk for hours the hack and slash game play is really good and enjoyable the art style and the world building really makes you feel is if you really are traversing threw hell and trying to get out there is a good
    Hades is one of the most enjoyable rogue-lite's i played in while here's why

pros:

the hack and slash game play is really good and enjoyable

there is a good amount of weapons you cant try on trinkets and skills that you get from the gods and every time you get different skills from different gods which just adds another layer to game play and diversity

the amount of replay value in this game is crazy while playing the early access version for the first time i spent around 7 hours just because of the amount of fun i had

the fact that you need to keep playing and keep dying just to know more about the world that you are in just shows how creative this game is and even if you die you don't really get sad about it you just want to keep on going and try to best yourself again and again while listening to some interesting dialog

cons: the story overall is kinda meh don't get me wrong it is good but i really expected a lot more out of it

overall as you can see except some minor nit picks with the story i really don't have anything bad to say about this game i really loved it i continue to play it and enjoy it i really recommend this game for rouge like lovers and for new comers alike which brings me to the final score a 9 out of 10
  24. Mar 16, 2021
    Cool if all you want out of a game is playing the same level over and over and over and over and over and over. Some of the weapons are a pain in the butt to use and you can't get rid of them until you're able to get a new one.
  25. Oct 15, 2020
    One of the most fun action RPGs I’ve ever played! Right up there with Diablo!
  26. Sep 27, 2020
    World mythology is my life. If somebody told me Neil Gaiman wrote/co-wrote the story I'd absolutely believe it. It's excellent! There is such a deep and profound respect/love for the mythology/lore. The gods are done so well! Something just rings authentic about each and every one. The game-play, music, humor and overall aesthetic; it's all top-notch. The game-play loop is perfect, theWorld mythology is my life. If somebody told me Neil Gaiman wrote/co-wrote the story I'd absolutely believe it. It's excellent! There is such a deep and profound respect/love for the mythology/lore. The gods are done so well! Something just rings authentic about each and every one. The game-play, music, humor and overall aesthetic; it's all top-notch. The game-play loop is perfect, the sense of progression satisfying; and that ' just one more run' compulsion hasn't hooked me like this since the release of Dead Cells. Here's hoping more games are set in this same universe. Expand
  27. Sep 18, 2020
    This game is a gem SuperGiant delivered easily one of the best roguelike available. Fully voice-acted super addictive and challenging in a fair way that makes you want to get better.
  28. Sep 18, 2020
    Polish out the wazoooo. Great music, smooth combat, fully voice acted, compelling narrative. Mid-run upgrades are compelling and substantial. Post-run tasks are engaging. Can't really ask for anything more in a rogue-lite.
  29. Sep 25, 2020
    Addictive, artistic, tons of fun.
    Quality dialog was a pleasant surprise. The characters are created with love.
  30. Nov 20, 2020
    Best rougelite game on sale, 10/10 for me got a gorgeous sound track, sound effects are impactful, gameplay is addicting, boss fights are challangeing and so on. If anyone says they hate this game dont listen to them, you got to try this game for your self, 24.99 on steam is insane when this game feels like a AAA game and deserves to be priced at 60.00. Makes me feel like im robbing theseBest rougelite game on sale, 10/10 for me got a gorgeous sound track, sound effects are impactful, gameplay is addicting, boss fights are challangeing and so on. If anyone says they hate this game dont listen to them, you got to try this game for your self, 24.99 on steam is insane when this game feels like a AAA game and deserves to be priced at 60.00. Makes me feel like im robbing these devs man so yeah you getting alot of bang for your buck. Expand
  31. coy
    Dec 10, 2020
    hades. what do you think of hades? i think it is a horrible game by riot. epic games really outdid themselves with hadles in the second game of the franchise. you play as john wellington, the greek god of death, destruction, and. when you kill the final boss as quincy, you experience something like nothing else. you kill the final boss and beat the game. the gameplay is. the music. how dohades. what do you think of hades? i think it is a horrible game by riot. epic games really outdid themselves with hadles in the second game of the franchise. you play as john wellington, the greek god of death, destruction, and. when you kill the final boss as quincy, you experience something like nothing else. you kill the final boss and beat the game. the gameplay is. the music. how do i win the game? i dont know. this game is probably one of the worst, most disastrous things of the year. i love this game. i have poured countless hours into it, and plan to keep playing it. overall, i give this game a 10/10. this disgusts me. Expand
  32. Sep 21, 2020
    I've been playing BPM: Bullets per Minute, risk of rain 2, and other rogue like games but this game is something else. I literally made an account to post this score. Unlike any other games of the same genre, there's permanent upgrades .to choose. It actually feels accomplishing, instead of losing everything just for a highscore. Man I really love this game.
  33. Sep 22, 2020
    I've never written a review before, for anything, but this game has me spellbound. The art style, the voice acting, combat and yes even dying is top notch. Super Giant does it again!!! I will gladly be walking out of the pond of Styx for a long time to come.
  34. Nov 25, 2020
    I wanted to like this but there's simply not enough content to justify the high scores, I'd give it a 6 or 7 but 2 to balance out all the gushers.
    Maybe it's not my cup of tea, but fighting the same enemies and the button mashing gets really old, when one is accustomed to more advanced and complex games, this games seems to cater towards casual players. You will inevitably get stronger and encounters will get easier, so at some point it feels more like a progressive grind where skill doesn't matter and there's no real learning curve. Just play and play until eventually, you finish it.
    Art style and voices are top-notch, its a pretty good game but the scores its getting are way too high for what it is.
  35. Sep 19, 2020
    Truly God-like Roguelike.
    I can't believe I have to say it, but: If you absolutely hate roguelikes, you're probably not gonna enjoy this one. Because it's a roguelike. That you hate. So maybe don't play it instead of buying something you hate and writing a negative review.
    ...just a thought.
  36. Nov 19, 2020
    What are you doing here looking to those bad reviews soldier? Just buy the game
  37. Dec 5, 2020
    Boring and overrated game doesn't worth the price, too much buzzing too much complication in menu.
  38. Sep 18, 2020
    I gotta say, i've never played an isometric action-rpg since diablo 2 that made me have such fun. Combat is crisp, there's great deal of replayability due to random generated maps, random skills you get each run and different skillsets(weapon all behave differently). Boss fights are hard and require alot of your focus but they're not tedious at all, on the contrary they're very engaging.I gotta say, i've never played an isometric action-rpg since diablo 2 that made me have such fun. Combat is crisp, there's great deal of replayability due to random generated maps, random skills you get each run and different skillsets(weapon all behave differently). Boss fights are hard and require alot of your focus but they're not tedious at all, on the contrary they're very engaging. All creatures are entertaining to fight against, game does a good job of balancing fun and challenge.

Dialogue is very well done, it creates a very believable atmosphere (even though game is fantastic in nature), that we do cheer for Zagreus and his attempts at escape. There are many side characters, each one you want to talk to more. Frankly my only gripe with the game is that, after getting used to mechanics, game can be finished under an hour. Each "run", you try to escape the underworld, and once you die you start from the beginning. It takes a while to learn the game so you still have alot of hours to get there considering the general difficulty of the game. But after learning all that, you'll finish a run around 40 minutes. Definately worth the price though.
  39. Sep 19, 2020
    A rogue-like by Supergiant Games with breathtaking visuals, characters and gameplay. It’s a game that did early access right by releasing a feature-packed game nearly a year before release and adding more and more content each month while ironing out bugs or reworking mechanics that the people didn’t enjoy based on community feedback! If you are here for challenging gameplay, interestingA rogue-like by Supergiant Games with breathtaking visuals, characters and gameplay. It’s a game that did early access right by releasing a feature-packed game nearly a year before release and adding more and more content each month while ironing out bugs or reworking mechanics that the people didn’t enjoy based on community feedback! If you are here for challenging gameplay, interesting character relationships or a fascinating world both visually and musically, you are in for a ride! Expand
  40. Sep 19, 2020
    Absolute masterpiece. Game of the Decade for me. Unique storytelling in action roguelite/-like with ridiculous skill and quality cap. Action meets strategy meets story.
  41. Oct 5, 2020
    I'm not a fan of rouge-likes, but this game is a treasure. I love every aspect of this game.
  42. Sep 25, 2020
    Greatest game in the rogue genre. Beautiful and funny. Hard and rewarding. But above all: super addictive.
  43. Sep 23, 2020
    Amazing game, amazing ost, amazing Art, and rlly rlly replayable, i cannot stop playing, help!
  44. Dec 22, 2020
    Terminei a "história principal" com 37 horas de jogo, Incrível D+, e mesmo terminando, há muito ainda a se fazer, muitos relacionamentos a se conquistar que acrescentarão muito na história. Além disso, há muito conteúdo pós end game, tanto que os diálogos continuam mudando, continua um determinado progresso no jogo!,
    Hades chama atenção pela arte, pela trilha sonora, mas lhe conquista
    Hades chama atenção pela arte, pela trilha sonora, mas lhe conquista definidamente pela gameplay e suas milhões de variedades de combinações de habilidades(segundo a dev são 1 milhão de combinações possíveis fazendo com que cada Run seja diferente da outra, quando você joga, não quer mais parar.
    É um rogue-like extremamente convidativo a todos aqueles que nunca jogaram esse gênero, podem começar por ele, e se apaixonar muito!, e assim, indo para outros jogos do gênero como os prórprios anteriores da SuperGiant(Bastion, Transistor e Pyre). Recomendadíssimo!!!!!

DIFICULDADE: 10/10 - Ideal para esse jogo, você aprende a cada run.
  45. Nov 27, 2020
    Prós:
    - Jogabilidade
    - Direção de arte - Fator Replay - Level design - Dificuldade - Enredo - Trilha sonora - Conclusão: Jogabilidade insanamente rápida e comandos tão precisos quanto. Fator Replay pra um game Rogue-Like está acima da média por contar com inúmeros diálogos que te prendem aos eventos daquele universo, o incrível é que mesmo jogo sendo de tal gênero ele consegue te
    Prós:
    - Jogabilidade
    - Direção de arte
    - Fator Replay
    - Level design
    - Dificuldade
    - Enredo
    - Trilha sonora

- Conclusão: Jogabilidade insanamente rápida e comandos tão precisos quanto. Fator Replay pra um game Rogue-Like está acima da média por contar com inúmeros diálogos que te prendem aos eventos daquele universo, o incrível é que mesmo jogo sendo de tal gênero ele consegue te prender além da jogabilidade com a história que mesmo simples é cativante e combando com o gameplay se torna extremamente imersiva.
    As diversas armas que o jogo oferece também ajudam nisso tanto na história que brevemente cada personagem irá citar algo sobre ela, quanto em sua diversificação de jogabilidade.
    - O que mais me impressiona nesse game é seu enredo, pra um game desse genero assim como Dead Cells é sempre algo deixado de lado, com algum plano de fundo mas nada mt alongado.

- Contras
    - Não encontrei nada que tenha me incomodado durante o game.
    - Meus problemas com Rogue-Like sempre foi a questão do jogo não me prender e se tornar enjoativo ou não me dar motivos para continuar a jornada mas por conta dos personagens e enredo eu acabei não tendo esse problema com Hades.
  46. Dec 15, 2020
    O jogo é maravilhoso! A arte é linda, a interação entre os personagens e a dublagem são muito divertidas (15h de jogo e ainda não vi uma conversa repetida e sempre converso com TODOS que eu posso), as mecânicas e jogabilidade são muito feras e o estilo de jogo varia muito dependendo das combinações de armas e bençãos. Eu tinha um pé atrás com jogos que você morre e volta mas esse jogo nãoO jogo é maravilhoso! A arte é linda, a interação entre os personagens e a dublagem são muito divertidas (15h de jogo e ainda não vi uma conversa repetida e sempre converso com TODOS que eu posso), as mecânicas e jogabilidade são muito feras e o estilo de jogo varia muito dependendo das combinações de armas e bençãos. Eu tinha um pé atrás com jogos que você morre e volta mas esse jogo não deixa ser cansativo nem um pouco e é viciante. Uma obra de arte feita com muito carinho que fico grato em poder aproveitar. Muito Obrigado! Expand
  47. Dec 4, 2020
    too long and boring to go to beat final boss again. characters are so salty and toxic that makes player get stressed. effects are too showy to discern enemy's attacks, also enemies have unclear movesets too. and hard to get tempo when attacks enemy so that makes keep pressing button at random which is not a good feeling in action game. it was not worth to keep playing it.
  48. Sep 20, 2020
    They said that isometric games are no longer valid
    They said that supergiants are overrated
    They said that its roguelike structure is awful
    Proven wrong
  49. Sep 20, 2020
    Incredible level of polish in every aspect. True masterpiece. Supergiants once again delivers an incredible game!
  50. Sep 20, 2020
    I'm hooked. This game sets the mood right away and slowly builds up to something even bigger. I'm so glad I waited for the official release before starting to play it.
  51. Sep 19, 2020
    An amazing rogue-like with a good story ,and spectacular voice acting.Supergiant naled it again.
  52. Sep 22, 2020
    This game is a Page Turner in game form, at the end of every run I think to myself 'Just one more run maybe?'. Every run is vastly different, with brilliant dialogue writing and Voice acting keeping you just as engaged as the fast-paced intense combat. Haven't been this engaged by a game in a long time.
  53. Sep 20, 2020
    I create a account only to review 10 in this masterpiece
    Congratulations SuperGiant Games, you surprise the world one more time.
    Very excited for the next masterpiece
  54. Sep 22, 2020
    Pretty generic, once again it's some kind of arcade rogue-like game with slow enemies and fast MC which easily kill hundreds of enemies but lose his abilities after death so longevity of game could be higher. Dialogues are worthless and game premise too primitive. Music and sound in overall are forgettable. Even Ruiner was better in terms of game mechanics and especially of music and soundPretty generic, once again it's some kind of arcade rogue-like game with slow enemies and fast MC which easily kill hundreds of enemies but lose his abilities after death so longevity of game could be higher. Dialogues are worthless and game premise too primitive. Music and sound in overall are forgettable. Even Ruiner was better in terms of game mechanics and especially of music and sound (and graphics obviously). Hades is a mindless copypasta of Bastion. Expand
  55. Nov 19, 2020
    솔직히 이런류의 게임은 너무많아서 그다지 재밌다는 느낌은 안듭니다.
    명작까진 아니고 기껏해야 수작 정도?
    차라리 카타나 제로가 나을듯
  56. Nov 19, 2020
    9.0점은 너무 많고, 기껏해야 6.0점 정도가 딱 적당합니다.
    이 게임은 절대 명작은 아니고 기껏해야 평작~수작 정도 사이를 왔다 갔다 할 게임입니다.
    스토리는 너무 뻔하고... 전투나 액션씬은 지루하기 짝이없습니다.
  57. Sep 22, 2020
    Un juegazo como la copa de un pino.
    Mezcla lo mejor de cada casa.
    para mi de los mejores del año en switch. Una auntentica joya.
  58. Nov 23, 2020
    Outstanding Roguelite Game. it is hard for other games to compete with this in the future.
  59. Nov 4, 2020
    Truly an outstanding achivment on every level, this may be one of my all time favourites games and it's presented in both and style and genre i don't really care for. If you're a certain age like me, then it truly captures the feeling of how you remember playing a fantastic 16bit game in your teens. Rather then the reality that they wern't that great when playing those games now.
  60. Nov 6, 2020
    What an awesome game. I've only played one other rogue-like (or rogue-lite), The Binding of Isaac. I feel the RPG elements of Hades, the atmosphere, and slow introduction to concepts helped me stick to Hades more than Binding. I am loving the action-focused gameplay and the storyline most of all. The visual style and music take it over the top. I really appreciate how balanced the game isWhat an awesome game. I've only played one other rogue-like (or rogue-lite), The Binding of Isaac. I feel the RPG elements of Hades, the atmosphere, and slow introduction to concepts helped me stick to Hades more than Binding. I am loving the action-focused gameplay and the storyline most of all. The visual style and music take it over the top. I really appreciate how balanced the game is as well, as all weapons can work and the variety of boons make each run feel unique. Beat Hades on my 10th run, surprisingly, though I did watch a lot of Haelian and Jawless Paul's guides to get a better idea of how to play the game. Try this game out when it's on sale! One of the best games I have played. Expand
  61. Nov 3, 2020
    Some of the most fun I've had playing a game in recent times. The comic book art style drew me in, and the gameplay kept me hooked. Clearing the game for the first time gave me such a rush of exhilaration that I will surely come back for more. My only gripes with the game is that the runs feel somewhat short and some weapon upgrades feel much more useful than others. Other than that, I'mSome of the most fun I've had playing a game in recent times. The comic book art style drew me in, and the gameplay kept me hooked. Clearing the game for the first time gave me such a rush of exhilaration that I will surely come back for more. My only gripes with the game is that the runs feel somewhat short and some weapon upgrades feel much more useful than others. Other than that, I'm glad I listened to the rave reviews. One of the best in 2020. Expand
  62. Feb 25, 2021
    Extremely grinding and repetitive gameplay. Boring. A very overrated game like all games from this studio. Refund
  63. Sep 27, 2020
    A game where death does not lead to sorrow. Great graphic and sound design. Best reiterate gameplay.
  64. Dec 12, 2020
    My vote 9/10, game of year 3q 2020. Good animation, physic, dynamic, story and here is no bugs for sure.
  65. Sep 26, 2020
    Incredible game. Addictive, smooth gameplay, amazing progression. Game of the year for me..
  66. Sep 28, 2020
    An amazing evolution of the Rogue-like genre, every element is beyond amazing. So much heart and soul obviously went into this experience as a whole. I've not been able to stop thinking about it since I started playing, it's so incredibly addicting. The art, music, and especially the voice acting are exemplary, and the gameplay has me coming back for more over and over. I never feel badAn amazing evolution of the Rogue-like genre, every element is beyond amazing. So much heart and soul obviously went into this experience as a whole. I've not been able to stop thinking about it since I started playing, it's so incredibly addicting. The art, music, and especially the voice acting are exemplary, and the gameplay has me coming back for more over and over. I never feel bad about the end of a run, I just want to start another one as soon as possible. The story is very touching and all the characters are well written and enjoyable. But most importantly, YOU CAN PET THE DOG! Expand
  67. Sep 28, 2020
    Such an amazing game, great story telling and re-playability. Keep playing and falling in love with the game a little bit more every time. The customization and flexibility makes every run fresh and unique! Definitely a "Must Play" game!
  68. Oct 2, 2020
    Absolutely stellar. The story and characters are compelling, the art is gorgeous, and the combat is challenging without being frustrating. This game is an absolute joy to play.

My one caveat is that a LOT of repetition is required to advance both the story and leveling up Zagreus' skills. I personally think that the gameplay is so much fun that I don't mind repeating levels, and it fits thematically in any case, but some players will find that frustrating.
  69. Oct 10, 2020
    Never played a game with this kind of replayabilaty. Each run differs and the combinations to make seem endless. Next to that the game art could hang in the Louvre. Simply a must to play,
  70. Oct 12, 2020
    Avec Hadès, Supergiant Game nous livre une ode à l’émancipation et à la liberté. Véritable Tragi-comédie teintée d’humour, le titre reprend à la perfection les qualités de ses productions précédentes. Son gameplay varié et complexe, ainsi que sa bande sonore nerveuse dans les combats vous procureront l’envie de continuer à casser du mort. Avec une histoire intelligemment livrée et desAvec Hadès, Supergiant Game nous livre une ode à l’émancipation et à la liberté. Véritable Tragi-comédie teintée d’humour, le titre reprend à la perfection les qualités de ses productions précédentes. Son gameplay varié et complexe, ainsi que sa bande sonore nerveuse dans les combats vous procureront l’envie de continuer à casser du mort. Avec une histoire intelligemment livrée et des personnages au charisme indéniable, Hadès pourrait s’avérer être la meilleure production du studio à ce jour et certainement l’un des meilleurs Rogue-Lite de cette année 2020.

Je recommande grandement le jeu pour les amoureux du genre.
  71. Nov 9, 2020
    Huge Supergiant Games fan here

Some minimal spoilers ahead Loved all the rogue like mechanics they made, you wanna know every possible combination of blessed powers with every possible weapon... You look for youtube videos to help and get even crazier ideas... Game is pure magic Most addicting (single player) game I have ever played, you getting the history of the game little by
    Huge Supergiant Games fan here

Some minimal spoilers ahead

Most addicting (single player) game I have ever played, you getting the history of the game little by little was a master move (really wanted to accomplish that final mission with almost 100 hours of playing)

Would have been a 10/10 if there were more Ashley Barrett songs (come on, only one singed, you guys made really amazing songs on Transistor, Bastion and Pyre... And this game took years to be developed). When I was playing Transistor, all could listen was their 5 singed songs over and over again.

Can't wait to see their future games (always masterpieces)
  72. Nov 15, 2020
    A neat game but still same old same old. If you are into this kind of stuff then go for it.
  73. Dec 11, 2020
    it is such a f*cking delight of an experience! incredibly addicting, fun, beautifully imaginative in it's reivention and retelling of myths and legendary characters, while also being engaging and with a STELLAR cast who, i'm sure, will be one of the main reasons we keep returning to this. strong contender for game of the year.
  74. Mar 8, 2021
    This game starts off hard, you pretty much have no chance and you seem to fail a bit, although it doesn't have modes that you switch between, so there's a currency called darkness which there you can reflect from the mirror from your room and then YOU have to unlock the easy mode so that you stand a chance and make it further the next time, finally reaching the final boss, only to be takenThis game starts off hard, you pretty much have no chance and you seem to fail a bit, although it doesn't have modes that you switch between, so there's a currency called darkness which there you can reflect from the mirror from your room and then YOU have to unlock the easy mode so that you stand a chance and make it further the next time, finally reaching the final boss, only to be taken back further than ever, to be growing stronger and standing more to the end. Expand
  75. Sep 28, 2020
    Supergiant's best game yet. It's a good Diablo clone, and it's a good roguelite. Still very repetitive, but does numerous things to mitigate the repetition, so the fun lasts longer. Unlike some roguelites which feel limited in what you can do on a single run, Hades wants the player to go nuts and try different things. The weapon variations provide a great variety of play-styles. TheSupergiant's best game yet. It's a good Diablo clone, and it's a good roguelite. Still very repetitive, but does numerous things to mitigate the repetition, so the fun lasts longer. Unlike some roguelites which feel limited in what you can do on a single run, Hades wants the player to go nuts and try different things. The weapon variations provide a great variety of play-styles. The environments are highly detailed with nice colours, and visually diverse.

The quality of the art/visuals and sound is high enough that it's basically a playable cartoon. However, although there's tons of dialogue that reacts to a surprising number of specific situations, the narrative as a whole is puddle deep. It's aimed squarely at pre-teens, and while its borrowing of Greek myth is thorough, it's content with merely referencing things to make its audience feel smart. Anything it has to say about the mythology is expressed more so in their artistic vision of the characters, rather than the character/story arcs - with a couple exceptions.

Very minor insignificant spoilers in this paragraph:
    For example the story of Achilles and Patroclus is given a lot of attention (Achilles is an NPC and friend of the player-character), and it amounts to Patroclus moping around all day in Elysium because he misses Achilles, his lover. Now I hate to say this, but it has to be said because of how the devs have chosen to interpret this through the lens of their own politics: Achilles and Patroclus, characters from the Iliad of Homer, are not portrayed as homosexuals in the Iliad.
    They are buddies. It's only in the 20th century that college profs practicing revisionist history have strongly pushed for the idea that there is a hidden homosexual relationship between those characters. There's no evidence for it, you'd have to project that onto it yourself, which is what happened with the academics and is what happened here.
    So at the end of the day you have a storyline that the devs give a lot of attention to, yet it's so shallow and goes nowhere that in practical terms it's kind of just there to be there, and it's factually questionable. To me that leaves the only purpose for its existence is to send a message. And this is just one major example.

So without going into endless detail about all of that, in which case I should rather just make a youtube analysis or something, I just wanted to give that short explanation of why the game is subversive - because it is. And it's so subversive that there's more to say about what Supergiant has accomplished, in terms of subversion, than what they've achieved in the game design itself. The quality of the game only makes it more insidious.

The last thing I have to mention on that topic: The women. There are no young women in this game. There are no busty women in this game. We're talking about goddesses with idealized forms, and literally every single one ticks multiple of these boxes: a) 40+ age, b) face immediately recognizable as masculine, c) small bust that slopes and sags.
    This would be easier to accept if they had thrown boys a bone and at least made Aphrodite a babe, but no, it's as if it were stipulated in a contract that they must portray women a certain way. It's honestly frightening. This is coming from people who want you to think that Achilles and Patroclus were homosexuals and make it a central plot of their game, yet they're avoiding any depiction of a human breast drawn with a round line (and that's not an exaggeration).

And for those who will say it's not important and the game should only be judged for its gameplay, I disagree because it's clearly important to Supergiant games. They have gone out of their way to offer such a treatment of Greek myth, so much that it must be as important to them as it is to make the game good. Just something to think about.
  76. Nov 13, 2020
    The best roguelike of all time. There are no real flaws. The only "flaws" are that there isn't even more to do.
  77. Sep 26, 2020
    So goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  78. Sep 25, 2020
    Not sure what to think of this. The game has a lot of depht regarding dialogues and such. But the core gameplay is to redo the same thing over and over again, while upgrading slowly your character (very slowly). Yes, the level are randomly generated but after the 125 times you went into the same designs, it doesn't really matter. The fighting is perfect, the music, the voices are superb. INot sure what to think of this. The game has a lot of depht regarding dialogues and such. But the core gameplay is to redo the same thing over and over again, while upgrading slowly your character (very slowly). Yes, the level are randomly generated but after the 125 times you went into the same designs, it doesn't really matter. The fighting is perfect, the music, the voices are superb. I give it 70%. You can complain about quests repetitions in games...well this game, is essentially repetitions. Doesn't make it good in the end. Expand
  79. Sep 24, 2020
    I have played 300 hours and im not stopping anytime soon! I Love every supergiant game, but i think this is their best One yet
  80. Nov 24, 2020
    Прекрасная игра, с красивой рисованной графикой, которая затрагивает богов из древней мифологии. Очень познавательно и интересно!
  81. Nov 16, 2020
    Es el Roguelike que he jugado que más me ha gustado con mucha diferencia, tiene un gameplay frenético un montón de formas de jugarlo y lo que más me gusta es que la progresión al principio se nota mucho y es constante. Un contra es que se hace repetitivo como todos.
  82. Nov 18, 2020
    Smooth, action packed fun and addictive gameplay with a good story with full of surprises. Amazing art design and voice acting. Despite the nature of the game, it does not feel repetitive even if you play over and over. This game is a 10/10
  83. Sep 21, 2020
    Absolutely amazing game.

Pure adrenalin.

If you are reading this, just get It! You won't feel dissapointed for sure.
  84. Nov 1, 2020
    Great visuals combined with an extremely satisfying hit feel, Hades is one of the rare roguelike games that are worth your time.
  85. Nov 15, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has a pretty good story but absolutely garbage controls. It's pretty sad when Pong handles 1000 times better than this game. Also there's only 2 weapons even worth using and that's the spear and shield. The rest are complete trash. I made this account just so I could review this **** game. Expand
  86. Oct 16, 2020
    First up I should say I've not had the chance to finish the game yet. Ideally I'd finish every game I review, but I play so many games, on every platform, it makes it difficult. By the time I finish a game it's six months after its release date and the review is a lot less useful. I still post those late reviews, mainly because I like a game so much I feel the need to rave about it. ButFirst up I should say I've not had the chance to finish the game yet. Ideally I'd finish every game I review, but I play so many games, on every platform, it makes it difficult. By the time I finish a game it's six months after its release date and the review is a lot less useful. I still post those late reviews, mainly because I like a game so much I feel the need to rave about it. But generally my hand is forced and I review games I haven't yet finished.
    That out of the way, I'm about 10 - 12 hours in to Hades and I'm playing it on Switch. I got it with 20% off, which, as the review will make clear, is a very, very good deal.

PROS:

- Voice acting. Oh, the voice acting. Not just the acting but the quality of the writing and the characterisation. Zagreus, your protagonist is a deliciously dry, sarcastic young man - charismatic, caustic, cool. His father Hades is an alternately fulminating and whispering Big Bad, although it's much more complicated than that. Every one of the many characters is beautifully presented, written and voiced. The bosses are favourites of mine.

- The plot - it's a strange thing, to talk of a 'plot' in a roguelike, but probably the single cleverest thing Supergiant have done is to introduce a storyline into the spaces between runs. Generally in roguelikes those spaces are simple downtime to gather your wits and fortify your will for another attempt. They tend to have some shops that sell and buy stuff and some sort of mcguffin that powers you up permanently. And Hades has all that too, albeit refracted through the lens of Greek mythology.
    But Supergiant have introduced a gradually progressing narrative that proceeds with every death. Every time you die in a run and go back to the start the storyline takes another step forward. Characters in the starting hub disappear and reappear, new characters introduce themselves, plot twists are revealed. Secret connections between Zagreus and the rest of the Greek gods are clarified. It is a brilliant solution to the problem that all roguelikes besides Hades bump up against: the feeling of futility between runs.
    I remember at one point in Dead Cells getting seriously far into the game. It was the culmination of a painstaking effort. And then I died and I was hurtled back to the start. And it was at that point, after so many deaths and runs, that I simply lost interest. As brilliant an action game as it was, that feeling of futility and lack of tangible progression gradually built up as I played, and eventually I just gave up. Hades turns this typical weakness of the genre into a strength: every time you die the plot advances. New characters stop you to chat, or old characters reveal some dark truth about themselves. You learn more. It means that death has less of a sting than in other roguelikes. Death becomes part of the rhythm of the game, even something necessary, rather than a dull bore. It's a subtle, elegant, complete solution to what has been up until now a big negative with the genre.

- The gameplay. It's been a long time since I've played something this addictive. The loop of risk/reward is relentless: you're never more than a minute or so away from some shiny trinket that'll buff your character and give you a little adrenaline rush. Combine that with simple but skillful and tactical twitch action and it's up there with Celeste and Super Meat Boy as one of the most compulsive games I've played in the last ten years.

CONS:

- Well, it's a roguelike, and if you, like me, still have a problem with these kinds of games then there's no getting around that. However, Hades deals with the inherent flaws of the genre better than any other roguelike I've ever played. I dislike a lot of the baggage that accompanies this kind of game, especially procedurally generated levels. Yet the the game is so structurally exquisite I ended up not caring. It works around these flaws with such artistry, even turning some of them into positives.

- I'd say that the combat can get a little hard to read on the Switch. It's not a huge deal though.

That's about it for flaws...

I think right now a 9/10 is sufficient. I can imagine giving it a 10, especially when I think of how polished and stupidly playable this game is, but there is something about roguelikes that niggles at me still. Which is unfair I guess: since this game subverts the genre and turns its weaknesses into strengths throughout. Still, 9/10 it is.

This one of the most compulsive, lavish, complete and stylish indie games ever. The score is really irrelevant. If I could I'd get rid of it and just write 'GET IT NOW' at the top of my review. It's sublime.

12/10/2020: I have been playing Hades non-stop since my review a week or so ago, and have completed it eight times already. It is one of the best games I've ever played, a true once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece. I originally gave it a high 9/10, but now have come back to change it to a 10/10.
  87. Sep 24, 2020
    I quite like this game. Lots of fun, addictive, lots of depth. Well worth the $ for the hours you'll get out of it. Good characters and great voice acting. I would give it an 8-9/10.
  88. Sep 21, 2020
    The best roguelike game we'll probably ever have. The OST is amazing. The art style is pleasant to watch. The gameplay is satisfying and I don't know why, but somehow it doesn't feel repetitive even after 50 hours of playtime. When you finish the game, you just unlock one little fragment of the Lore so you should continue. I have 50 hours in the game and I don't feel that I've finished theThe best roguelike game we'll probably ever have. The OST is amazing. The art style is pleasant to watch. The gameplay is satisfying and I don't know why, but somehow it doesn't feel repetitive even after 50 hours of playtime. When you finish the game, you just unlock one little fragment of the Lore so you should continue. I have 50 hours in the game and I don't feel that I've finished the game. I don't want it to stop. I want to play at least 50 more hours and I will. It's perfect. Expand
  89. Sep 21, 2020
    This is definitely my GOTY for 2020. It melds high action isometric gameplay, with a rewarding progression system (ironic, since you start from the beginning a lot) and an engaging melodramatic story.
  90. Sep 22, 2020
    I'm a few hours into Hades and I love it. It's challenging and rewarding and SO BEAUTIFUL. Supergiant games always makes gorgeous games, and games that feel good and fun to play. Roguelite's are very hit and miss and this one nails the potential of a roguelite for everyone, not just the masochists.
  91. Nov 18, 2020
    The saddest thing about Supergiant's boringest game yet is that it's enjoying such success that they might do another like it. The voice acting is great, but the gameplay is the grindiest, dullest, most visual-cluttery waste of time I've tried in recent memory. If you enjoyed Bastion, get ready for something with half of the gameplay, a third of the writing quality, and ten times the grindThe saddest thing about Supergiant's boringest game yet is that it's enjoying such success that they might do another like it. The voice acting is great, but the gameplay is the grindiest, dullest, most visual-cluttery waste of time I've tried in recent memory. If you enjoyed Bastion, get ready for something with half of the gameplay, a third of the writing quality, and ten times the grind length. Oh, and although the dialogue is good when you look at any individual interaction, the overarching story is complete butt. Expand
  92. Sep 20, 2020
    The game deserves no less than a 90% score. What it sets out to do for the genre is impeccable and the gameplay is well above average and even the voice acting is amazing. If I were to have some criticism apart from a few glitches in the level design here in there I would say that the main problem is that if you want to complete it once by taking notice of its gameplay once and you don'tThe game deserves no less than a 90% score. What it sets out to do for the genre is impeccable and the gameplay is well above average and even the voice acting is amazing. If I were to have some criticism apart from a few glitches in the level design here in there I would say that the main problem is that if you want to complete it once by taking notice of its gameplay once and you don't want to spend WEEKS grinding for it to see the entire story it's lacking in that you will never see the whole story without extreme grinding. Expand
  93. Dec 10, 2020
    Очень неинтересная скучная и глупая игра. Сюжет странный, геймплей просто скукотища. Не рекомендую
  94. Sep 21, 2020
    I did it with a lot of anticipation, but it wasn't fun.

Dungeon & Fighter would be more fun.
  95. Oct 6, 2020
    Big fan of their previous games and expected another tame and short ~10 hour game. I WAS WRONG. I'm 50 hours in and I seriously cannot stop playing. This is far and away the game of the year. Best soundtrack, best combat, fantastic voice acting, and so so much replayability.
  96. Oct 9, 2020
    "Rogue-like" is a new gaming genre for me. I've played plenty of shooters and RPGs with enjoyment, but replay value is often lacking because I get tired of the same NPCs in the same rooms with the same story.

The story of 'Hades' is intelligently based on Greek mythology, including the major figures from the pantheon and many minor or invented ones. Zagreus, son of Hades, is desperate to escape from the Underworld, where his father is determined to keep him. He has the help of Nyx and most of the Olympian deities, but determined opposition from the Furies and numerous other creatures. The game is built around his escape attempts.

By selecting 'God Mode' you can accumulate damage resistance and other benefits until you are able to defeat Hades and get to see a bit of Greece. This took me 31 attempts over 27 hours and I was never bored because the NPC interactions and room designs and the nature and numbers of enemies were never the same twice.

This game rewards fast reflexes but also considerations of strategy as you choose weapons and 'boons' the game offers. Some of these choices are cumulative over a single attempt and then evaporate, while others are cumulative but subject to modification at the beginning of a run. The House of Hades serves as a kind of home base, to which you return after each defeat. Going farther with each attempt is your reward. There are many sorts of currency in the game.

I found the story engrossing as I gradually learned more about the history of each NPC. Game-play was challenging for me, even on God Mode. I got a fair number of rare achievements. My successful attempt took 41 minutes. There is reasonable help available online, and a steep learning curve.

I recommend this game be played with controller rather than keyboard and mouse, and so do the developers. Fortunately, I found a good USB controller that has worked well for me.

Hades stands out in a crowded field for its overall quality, and deserves the favorable reviews it is getting. The price is a bargain on Steam. Enjoy!
  97. Dec 23, 2020
    As far as I’m concerned this game is the GOTY. I got it on the Switch first and even after finishing EVERYTHING I was still craving more, so I had to buy it AGAIN on steam to get the achievements.
    - The story is amazing
    - The game play is snappy and fun - The weapons and boons create a lot of variety - Everything oozes charm - The presentation (music, environments, characters and ui)
    - The story is amazing
    - The game play is snappy and fun
    - The weapons and boons create a lot of variety
    - Everything oozes charm
    - The presentation (music, environments, characters and ui) is beautiful.

Supergiant Games keeps blowing me away with every new game they make, they deserve all the praise. (Tho, I’m hoping they they break the unspoken rule about no-DLC… please, I need more HADES!)
  98. Nov 13, 2020
    TBH I didnt like this game at first. I dont like Isaac-type games - usually because the progression is very slow and you always have to start from the beginning, though, I liked Isaac itself and spend about 100h there. Then I read reviews majority of which was very good, decided to give it a try once more and ... and couldnt stop playing Hades until late night :D
    Seriously, I tried quite
    Seriously, I tried quite a few Isaac-type games and usually after 1-2h deinstalled it, but this - this is probably one of the best, if not the best game of this genre. The game might seem difficult at first, but rather quickly become easier with upgrades you get, and this is very good! Make no mistake though, this game is still challenging even with all upgrades, but not that crazy challenging like Isaac or SMB. Usually in such games you get no aid in your later playthroughts but your experience. Thus leads to 100+ beginnings of the same 1st level which is doesnt feel great when you have job and family. Hades is not very long if you want just to finish this game - I made it from 18th try. But this is not an end - if you want to reveal whole story, try all weapon upgrades there are even more challenges to overcome.
    Very good music, nice graphics, awesome combat system and abilities, challenging bosses. Maybe not a masterpiece, but still very very good game! 10 of 10.
  99. Feb 2, 2021
    + addictive gameplay
    + different weapons and random skills a long the way force you to play differently
    + you can choose your own difficulty
    + funny banter and dialog

- visually it can be a bit cluttered
    - Enemy attacks are not easy to read, dashing behind the enemy isn't always safe

Universal acclaim - based on 57 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 6, 2021
    As with previous titles from Supergiant Games, Hades features stellar artwork and music, masterfully creating a world of Greek mythology. The fast-paced action feels great, and the roguelike elements create a synergy with the game’s story, resulting in a truly addictive experience.
  2. Feb 17, 2021
    Hades is a roguelike action RPG developed and published by Supergiant Games. It set a new bar for roguelike games with amazing visuals, character development, and storyline. Hades does have a few minor issues that plague most roguelikes. But these don’t impact the overall experience of an amazingly great game.
  3. CD-Action
    Dec 18, 2020
    This is without a doubt Supergiant’s best game – highly polished, designed to be replayed time after time over dozens or even hundreds of hours, friendly towards rookies, full of fun content, and addictive as hell. It also looks great and the voice acting is superb. [12/2020, p.52]