9.2

1. Mar 25, 2020
    This is the beginning of the greatest revolution in the gaming industry that I have ever seen. The ending is amazing! I put 10/10 without any doubt!
  2. Mar 24, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a masterpiece. I'm playing on low fidelity due to my pc being a bit of a potato. But it still plays really well and is truly the best vr game I have played to date. Expand
  3. Mar 24, 2020
    It's not just another "vr game" It's so immersive I forgot about covid 19 pandemy.
  4. Mar 25, 2020
    Fantastic game! Very scary, very fun, and amazing storytelling.... Can't wait for another... ADDICTED
  5. Mar 24, 2020
    This game is very immersive and interesting, it expands on half life universe, blows away with it's gameplay mechanics, it's definitely one of the best VR games ever made. I don't get why people that don't have VR and never even played the game can review it.
  6. Mar 25, 2020
    Definitely on of the best vr games I've ever seen, it has beautiful graphics and an engaging story.
  7. Mar 24, 2020
    The revolution has began. Valve did it with the original Half-Life. Then pushed the limits with Half-Life 2. Now Alyx is here to bring us the future of videogames.

Best Half-Life. Best AAA title. Best VR game. I have spoken.
  8. Mar 25, 2020
    The awesome part of Hal-Life series! Cool story, gameplay, graphics, characters and optimization.
  9. Mar 29, 2020
    MASTERPIECE!!!! It's THE GAME of virtual reality. It's a wonder in every way. This game is taken care of in every tiny detail. The immersion is absolute and after 104 minutes played for now and just getting out of bed I'm going to go straight out and keep playing.
    Half life Alyx is a gem that has set a standard in gaming and VR since it was released yesterday.
    Get yourself some VR
    Get yourself some VR glasses and try this game you will never regret.
  10. Mar 25, 2020
    Great gameplay
    Great story (the story was unpredictable as well)
    Great ending
    Well optimized game
    Great graphics
    I think the negative review's were becuse of why the game is made for vr
  11. Mar 23, 2020
    Don’t listen to the troll reviews! Valve has worked hard on this game and made it compatible for even the most affordable HMDs. There are more ways to use movement, such as smooth locomotion instead of teleportation. Ladder movement has been fixed! The level design, sound design, graphics and puzzles are phenomenal.
  12. Mar 23, 2020
    Absolutely incredible game, would highly recommend it. Half Life Alyx PROVES VR is NOT a gimmick, it is a full on GAME and it is simply AMAZING. If you don't have VR and you have the money for it get it, it is worth it for the experience. Most of the bad reviews are people that are mad that they don't have VR so don't mind them they are just trying to ruin the score/rating. This isAbsolutely incredible game, would highly recommend it. Half Life Alyx PROVES VR is NOT a gimmick, it is a full on GAME and it is simply AMAZING. If you don't have VR and you have the money for it get it, it is worth it for the experience. Most of the bad reviews are people that are mad that they don't have VR so don't mind them they are just trying to ruin the score/rating. This is definitely a contender for game of the year and once agian Vavle will most likely revolutionize gaming. Expand
  13. Mar 23, 2020
    It’s really not that Hal-life, that was expected by fans for years. I think it is made for selling Vavle’s versions of VR. After Boneworks it’s no pleasure to play Alyx.
  14. Mar 23, 2020
    Tried it over an hour, it's really just a generic FPS with a little more interactivity, I really do think VR is just a gimmick, this was my latest and probably last attempt, tried Boneworks and several other titles before this one, VR really needs to mature a lot before I could recommend it.
  15. Mar 24, 2020
    Выпустили по сути полноценную третью часть, события которой очень важны для понимания дальнейшего сюжета. И сделали это игрой для избранных. 0 из 10
  16. Mar 23, 2020
    Garbage story that ruins everything that Half-Life 1 and 2 did, what a disgrace. Also the VR is more of a gimmick than a boon. The gameplay is interesting for 30 minutes but then it becomes very boring, it lacks depth.
  17. Mar 23, 2020
    The most glaring issue is the lack of keyboard and mouse support. Valve is catering to the 0.1% of Steam users who have VR while forsaking the rest of their customer base (and throwing longtime HL fans under the bus). With that aside, lets get down to it:

Looks pretty, but gameplay consists of fighting the motion controls while moving to the next scripted cutscene. AI is dumb as rocks with enemies not even noticing your presence as you very loudly grab bullets right behind them. Shooting them is even funnier, as you get a full ten seconds to empty a mag into them. Its incredibly slow and BORING. Nothing entertaining like past entries.

This is not Half Life. This is a tech demo meant to sell VR hardware. Where the hell is the Freeman? Where is Half Life 3? These 100 score critic reviews are incredibly suspicious and suggests Valve is paying people off to dampen any legit criticism.
  18. Mar 23, 2020
    Uninspired, jaggy, rushed fan service to the most overrated franchise of all time. LMFAO. critics giving this a 10/10 to justify their $1000 PC VR headset purchase. The game looks like they took 2004's Half Life 2 ... but in VR.
  19. Mar 23, 2020
    Ensure you have a finger tracked setup for this game. Nothing is added by using VR for this game, a bad shot at trying to breathe some life into VR using a beloved franchise.
  20. Mar 31, 2020
    This is the best VR game of my life and one of the best gaming experiences ever. Hoping they will continue it in the coming years and not decades :)
  21. Mar 31, 2020
    The game managed to recreate half life 2 atmosphere and feel. The level of polish put in this game is impressive. It's the first AAA vr game to date. The graphics are great. The shooting is great. The physics are great and the level of interaction is very impressive. And of course the puzzles are fun.
  22. Mar 31, 2020
    Best story driven interactive adventure ever created. Absolutely insane immersion and an ending that sent chills down my spine. 100% worth the wait, I loved every single second of my 17h first play through and I will replay that title time and time again until another VR entry from Valve releases, if they decide to bless us with more.
  23. Mar 31, 2020
    It's an amazing demonstration of what can be done with VR, and it's a good Half Life game - the horror aspect got to the forefront in this one, and it's something Valve really shines at.
    The Source 2 in all it's glory is finally being used to the full potential, and it's lighting is so good that it can put Unreal Engine to shame.
    The only downside is that this game is clearly made with
    The only downside is that this game is clearly made with care for people who are just tipping toes in VR, with slowly ramping combat - at the end of the game it feels like you've only just reached your combat potential, but then it is over. It makes me wish for a sequel even more.
  24. Mar 31, 2020
    Great VR-Game, great Half-Life game and a great game in general. One of my greatest gaming experiences of the last 30 years.
  25. Mar 31, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. From only seeing its gameplay, Half life alyx is the best vr game made so far. Expand
  26. Apr 6, 2020
    Alyx is as conservative as it is groundbreaking. I don't really know what I was expecting from it, as the company that made it has notoriously been out of the game making loop for years, and Alyx definitely shows that. The game's mechanics all feel next to identical, if a little dumbed down compared to previous HL games. You go through a set of linear levels solving puzzles and fightingAlyx is as conservative as it is groundbreaking. I don't really know what I was expecting from it, as the company that made it has notoriously been out of the game making loop for years, and Alyx definitely shows that. The game's mechanics all feel next to identical, if a little dumbed down compared to previous HL games. You go through a set of linear levels solving puzzles and fighting both human and monstrous foes with an assortment of weapons. The only difference is that this time you only have three weapons to choose from, with only two being particularly viable for most of the game. Combined with a slight ammo drought, the lack of melee feels kind of jarring.

Although the game doesn't break boundaries in terms of gameplay, it still feels that way just due to just how damn polished it is. It's the little things that you don't even think about that sell it best. The enemies react to everything in a super natural way, with hundreds of procedural animations that play out in front of you in real time. The sound design is fantastic, with every step feeling just right. Overall the entire game just is an experience to play, and the fact that you're not even conscious about it all makes it all the better.

I do have some complaints. While the teleport movement is some of the best I've seen, I still vastly prefer the smooth locomotion option which feels like an afterthought. Several points, namely jumping, absolutely require teleporting, and as Alyx cannot sprint the movement speed is far too low. You'll end up having to teleport anyways, especially in combat, which isn't ideal in my mind. I also with the weapons were just a tad more physical. two handed aiming would have been nice.

These points are mostly just nitpicks, but they still are there. Compared to other VR experiments like Boneworks, I think Alyx is not the perfect VR game Still, Alyx just does much more right than any other VR game out there to the point where it's easy to forgive it's failings. If you have the hardware, this is the game you're looking for. You won't regret it even for a second.
  27. Mar 31, 2020
    Honestly, this is the best game you can buy. If you are lucky enough to own a HMD, I urge you to buy this game. I'm pretty sure this is a game I can let newcomers play to, given the right comfort settings.

And the story, oh boy. You're getting a real treat, as usual with a single player Valve game. This is a great look into how games once where and how they should be.
  28. Apr 3, 2021
    Better than real life, here i can finally life to the fullest lol 10/10 would love to go back
  29. Mar 24, 2020
    Valve have always been famous for pushing technical boundaries further in games. The company that made Half Life, Steam, SteamController, Valve index and 2 most popular online games ever now presented a game changing VR game utilizing newest technology and bringing it to masses.
    To be honest, I can't recall a non-vr game having such awesome photorealistic graphics. Now seeing such mindblowing level of visual fidelity in VR, the deeply detailed world while having a constant high rate FPS - this shows who is the Boss of video games industry. Not just Vavle is the Boss of All Games being Steam, but they still make killer games at a level that no studio can beat. They have best programmers and artists. Valve produced the best VR game ever existing to date, and made an important contribution in popularizing virtual reality headsets.
  30. Mar 24, 2020
    Game changer, it's worth the price. It's seriously the best game I ever played.
  31. Mar 25, 2020
    Games like these are used as benchmarks that will be remember forever. From the story and also from the gameplay point of view, this is amazing.
  32. Mar 24, 2020
    Not only a masterclass in VR world-building, gameplay, and mechanics but a masterclass in narrative storytelling on any platform or medium.
  33. Mar 23, 2020
    This game is truly a masterpiece... I own the Rift for quiet some time now and played a lotof cool shooter games (e.g. Arizona Sunshine) but this game just blew my mind. Stunning graphics and the feeling of the game is just WOW. Everyone giving this game a score lower than 8 is just a troll or is salty because he/she can't afford a VR setup. If you own a compatible VR device, you have toThis game is truly a masterpiece... I own the Rift for quiet some time now and played a lotof cool shooter games (e.g. Arizona Sunshine) but this game just blew my mind. Stunning graphics and the feeling of the game is just WOW. Everyone giving this game a score lower than 8 is just a troll or is salty because he/she can't afford a VR setup. If you own a compatible VR device, you have to play this game! 12/10, much wow, will blow you away for sure. Expand
  34. Mar 24, 2020
    Obra maestra, definitivamente es revolucionario como todas las entregas anteriores, está vez la revolución fue el vr como en juegos anteriores no era fácil jugarlos necesitabas de un buen PC entonces si no tienes vr no tienes porque votar negativamente eventualmente todos los juegos serán vr
  35. Mar 29, 2020
    Just finished the story line. Half Life Alyx is the culmination of the entire history of video games. Not just of virtual reality. The mechanics. The graphics. The immersion. The art. Absolutely a pleasure.
  36. Mar 30, 2020
    What can I say – this game is amazing. I clearly remember the moment when I put on my glasses run the game and saw myself in the middle of City17 with the citadel in front of me – this was indescribable feeling. You know what? This feeling is with you whole the time. I take my hat off to Valve, they did it again – they show a new direction for whole game industries. It's amazing step, andWhat can I say – this game is amazing. I clearly remember the moment when I put on my glasses run the game and saw myself in the middle of City17 with the citadel in front of me – this was indescribable feeling. You know what? This feeling is with you whole the time. I take my hat off to Valve, they did it again – they show a new direction for whole game industries. It's amazing step, and I hope that Valve make HL3 in the same way.
    Best game experience for years. Even now when I relay this words I have goosebumps just thinking about it :-)
  37. Apr 1, 2020
    Best VR game ever (the gravity gloves are AWESOME!). I highly recommend you get it, it's perfect for Half-Life fans and PCVR owners.
  38. Mar 31, 2020
    This cannot be stressed enough, the atmosphere and immersion in this game are like nothing else. it's a bloody masterpiece. Every step of the way (even the slowest moments) have your attention. Then there is the story... omg, if you're a HL fan you will LOVE it, if you're not, you should be.
  39. Mar 23, 2020
    Can't wait for Half-Life Brain interfacing in 13 years

Loved every second. Going to jump back in to get all the resin
  40. Mar 23, 2020
    Never seen anything like this before in VR. Its been 4 hours but it felt like 40 minutes.
  41. Mar 24, 2020
    Wow! That's the future of gaming! Standing in front of the citadel in City17 and seeing the true size of it in VR is mind blowing! You can use your bare hands to interact with all the objects around you in such a natural way. I was immediately IN THIS WORLD. You'll forget your real space, but beware of the walls in your room :). There is so much attention to every detail paired with greatWow! That's the future of gaming! Standing in front of the citadel in City17 and seeing the true size of it in VR is mind blowing! You can use your bare hands to interact with all the objects around you in such a natural way. I was immediately IN THIS WORLD. You'll forget your real space, but beware of the walls in your room :). There is so much attention to every detail paired with great storytelling.

It's so intense! Half Life reached the next level with VR. If you never played in VR, give it a try and do it slowly because Alyx is so immersive you can have some problems as beginner. Especially movement should be set to teleport for beginners to avoid instant motion sickness, veterans use smooth locomotion and have the best experience of their VR life!

Love it!
  42. Mar 24, 2020
    Ждали игру 13 лет, прошел игру в ютубе, отличная игра!
  43. Mar 25, 2020
    good excellent thanks for your time Glad tiding the sound configuration of duty
  44. Mar 25, 2020
    Now there is this thing called being jealous. That is certainly how some people reacted to the game coming out and not being able to play it because they do not own or want the required hardware. I wonder if they have the same reaction to games coming out to consoles etc. that they do not own. Or maybe they just want endless iterations of the game they have played already. Ah well, I'dNow there is this thing called being jealous. That is certainly how some people reacted to the game coming out and not being able to play it because they do not own or want the required hardware. I wonder if they have the same reaction to games coming out to consoles etc. that they do not own. Or maybe they just want endless iterations of the game they have played already. Ah well, I'd recommend this game in particular on the simple fact that it is finally pushing a reemerged technology forward into gaming. Expand
  45. Mar 29, 2020
    Valve did a new revolution ı think. They did two revolution in 1998 and 2004 and now they did another. VR can be the future for gamers. I was not thinking that before playing half life alyx but everything has changed after this game. This is amazing. I cant tell it with words. İt is perfect .
  46. Mar 24, 2020
    People who dislike this game because it's VR only are pathetic and disgusting. You known there once were only 2D games, and buying the first 3d accelerator card for my PC in the 90s was hella expensive. That was no reason to hate on the up and coming 3D games.

Idiots somehow have 1300$ for a phone that they use to browse 9gag, but when an emerging technology comes along that promises new ways to play, they are suddenly all out of mere 400$.
  47. Mar 24, 2020
    It goes beyond my high expectation.
    A new step for video games.
    Unbelievable !!
  48. Mar 23, 2020
    Simply the best, hand crafted while still being meaty with content. Nothing close to this with VR, a must play for VR
  49. Mar 24, 2020
    One of the best video games to this day and age!
    I jumped in with unrealistic expectations because it's the first half life game in 12 years but it somehow managed to surpass those expectations.
    It's worth buying a headset just to play it
  50. Mar 24, 2020
    I waited 7-8 years, and i can say............This amazing!!////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////.//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  51. Mar 25, 2020
    Lovelovelovleovleovlrovleovl ovleovleovlrovlorlvorlvorlvrolvorlvorlgorlvorlvorlgoto
  52. Mar 25, 2020
    An incredible addition to the Half-Life series. Iy has absolutely everything you would hope for and more from a new Half-Life title. By far the best VR experience out there right now. Beautiful graphics, amazing story and dialogue, and the atmosphere is perfect. Headcrabs, zombies, and barnacles are all so much more creepy than ever before, and the sound design is absolutely superb. ThisAn incredible addition to the Half-Life series. Iy has absolutely everything you would hope for and more from a new Half-Life title. By far the best VR experience out there right now. Beautiful graphics, amazing story and dialogue, and the atmosphere is perfect. Headcrabs, zombies, and barnacles are all so much more creepy than ever before, and the sound design is absolutely superb. This is a perfect game in every way. The only way it could have been better is if it never ended. Expand
  53. Apr 1, 2020
    Half-Life: Alyx proves to the people that Valve still got it. They are still able to deliver quality games.
  54. Mar 23, 2020
    Не зря ради неё купил ВР! Графика - изумительная! Геимплей - разнообразный! Оптимизация - огонь
  55. Mar 25, 2020
    Excellent immersion in a rich familiar world. Seeing a Vortigaunt in front of me adds something that pancake gaming just can't provide. Worth the wait!
  56. Mar 25, 2020
    The best VR experience i ever had, nice job Valve!.

Don´t listen to the trolls, who gave this game a bad voting. This right here is a masterpiece!
  57. Mar 25, 2020
    Don't listen to the flatties trying to troll on this game.
    If you play this game, you would not be able to give it a bad score.
    I cannot praise this game enough. As an avid fan of VR as a platform, this is exactly the push we needed to show to the world VR is ready! Half-Life: Alyx is doing a massive service (and sure, making a tasty profit, not the point though) to the tech world by
    Don't listen to the flatties trying to troll on this game.
    If you play this game, you would not be able to give it a bad score.

I cannot praise this game enough.
    Half-Life: Alyx is doing a massive service (and sure, making a tasty profit, not the point though) to the tech world by putting VR in the spotlight once more. Valve don't just stop there however. At the same time they are contributing to the arts and nacent XR development industry, raising the bar on input language, immersive narrative through entity interactions, and just such a satisfying, solid, and unique gaming experience.

As a VR developer myself, it's hard to overstate the importance of this game to the industry. Surely a water-shed moment for tech at large.
  58. Mar 25, 2020
    I've been a hesitant fan of VR for the better part of the past year ever since I tried out RE7 on PSVR. Despite the limitations I was really impressed and saw great potential in VR as not necessarily "the future" of gaming, but certainly as a very strong and viable alternative to flat-screen gaming. My only gripe at that point was the lack of titles available in VR.

Valve has always

Valve has always been at the forefront of the industry pushing new technology down consumer's throats until they conform, and in retrospect we find that it's usually for the better. Innovation is nothing to belittle and there is so much of it in Half Life: Alyx. As a game, it's also quite excellent. The aesthetic is pleasingly dark and they push horror-esque scenes throughout the game to better effect than actual horror games. The UI is intuitive and throwing grenades or pulling things in with your gravity gloves works like a charm. The music is very fitting in all situations, and definitely adds a lot to the game. Not forgettable at all. The first time you go up against Combine soldiers and the music from the trailer kicks on, it feels great. Additionally, Valve has promised 3 more AAA VR titles in the coming years and so it's looking like my gripe about there being no titles is about to be addressed.

Having said that the game doesn't come without a few downsides that I hope will be addressed.

- No run feature in smooth locomotion mode
    - Sometimes the physics engine messes up a bit. Haven't had anything game breaking
    - When I started the game the first time, there was an audio issue where any action performed by characters was not heard, but ambient noises and music could be. A restart fixed it and I haven't had a similar problem since, though.
    - Not enough crowbar

But all in all this is a wonderful title. If you can, get yourself some knuckles controllers for this game because they work infinitely better than the alternatives, and obviously better headsets will make the game more enjoyable.

As a sidenote, I've only completed about half of the game so far but if anything serious changes my opinion about it as the game progresses I'll rewrite my review and reassess the score I gave it.
  59. Mar 28, 2020
    This game is just amazing. The world is so detailed, when I take the headset off, I get confused whether I am in VR a bit. I can't believe it works so well on my middling hardware. Best game in VR, along with Lone Echo.
  60. Mar 23, 2020
    Wow, I just finished. I can't believe that not only is there a new Half-Life game, but it's in VR and 100% lives up to the quality of HL1 and HL2. This is without a doubt the best VR game ever made. It's also one of the best looking games I have ever played (sometimes I would pick up a clock or a hotel card, hold it up to my face, and fail to find any "tells" that I was looking at aWow, I just finished. I can't believe that not only is there a new Half-Life game, but it's in VR and 100% lives up to the quality of HL1 and HL2. This is without a doubt the best VR game ever made. It's also one of the best looking games I have ever played (sometimes I would pick up a clock or a hotel card, hold it up to my face, and fail to find any "tells" that I was looking at a digital rendering and not a real object) and a wonderful example of thrilling game design.

Any concerns I initially had about there being too much humor faded after I realized I was playing a pretty scary horror game and that the humor is just there to keep things from getting unbearably bleak. The writing is sharp, the acting is fantastic, and Valve keeps each new area full of interesting surprises.

Combat is surprisingly challenging. There are a lot of things to juggle, between keeping your guns loaded and accessing you inventory mid-combat while not getting mowed down instantly. Alyx is not Gordon Freeman and does not have a magical bullet suit, so she dies very quickly if you don't retreat or stay in cover.

The level of immersion is off the charts, even for a VR game, in part because of the absolutely gorgeous Source 2 engine and Valve's top-tier art team and level designers. There is also plenty here for Half-Life fans to enjoy, with familiar characters, enemies, and weapons making appearances.

Also, the gravity gloves are brilliantly implemented, and strike the perfect balance between utility and being overpowered. They are not the gravity gun, and you will not be mowing down fools by hitting them with a cinder block at Mach 3. They're more for grabbing distant items and to keep you from having to bend over all the time to pick things up.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Valve did it.
  61. Mar 23, 2020
    This games consolidates all of the best VR practices we've seen in the best VR games in the past 2 years to create a solid VR experience.
    Not even mentioning that it's Half-life, it's a solid game on its own regardless of platform. the story, characters and dialog are amazing as we've come to expect from Valve.
    Many people back in the day would've complained too that their 486 based pc

Many people back in the day would've complained too that their 486 based pc couldn't run the original Half-Life, that 3d was a gimmick, why buy a graphics card?, many people could've complained that the physics in Half-Life 2 are just a gimmick, that they don't add anything to the game, and many people will complain now that VR is just a gimmick. Do not listen to these people.
  62. Mar 24, 2020
    This is THE defining FPS adventure we have been waiting for in VR. Highly detailed, incredible story, incredible sound design. One heck of a game VR or not ! Absolute masterpiece of a game. This is my first Metarcritic review - But I had to get it out. INCREDIBLE game ! Plays flawless on the Rift S -
  63. Mar 24, 2020
    This is maybe the best game I've ever played. Valve is finally back with Half-Life
  64. Mar 24, 2020
    This game is a real masterpiece! The best game I have payer in my entire life ! It blown me away from start to finish!
  65. Mar 29, 2020
    Half-Life: ALYX is one of the best games I've ever played on any platform, and certainly the best VR game I've ever played. You might notice that the reviews are either 10/10 or 0/10 and the only people rating it 0/10 didn't actually play the game. It has a few minor flaws such as so-so melee, but the full package makes up for it and then some. The guns feel satisfying to use. TheHalf-Life: ALYX is one of the best games I've ever played on any platform, and certainly the best VR game I've ever played. You might notice that the reviews are either 10/10 or 0/10 and the only people rating it 0/10 didn't actually play the game. It has a few minor flaws such as so-so melee, but the full package makes up for it and then some. The guns feel satisfying to use. The locomotion is polished and a joy to use, even on Vive touchpads. The graphics are not as good as some other AAA flatscreen games, but it still looks fantastic. This is done because VR needs high framerates and high resolutions to look even ok.

I won't spoil anything, but the game is worth it for the ending alone.
  66. Mar 24, 2020
    Эта игра очень захватывающая и интересная, она расширяет вселенную Half-Life, поражает своей механикой геймплея, это определенно одна из лучших VR-игр, когда-либо созданных. Я не понимаю, почему люди, у которых нет виртуальной реальности и которые никогда не играли в игру, могут ее просмотреть.Эта игра очень захватывающая и интересная, она расширяет вселенную Half-Life, поражает своей механикой геймплея, это определенно одна из лучших VR-игр, когда-либо созданных. Я не понимаю, почему люди, у которых нет виртуальной реальности и которые никогда не играли в игру, могут ее просмотреть.
  67. Mar 23, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game offers a whole new experience and opens the doors for VR. Being the biggest vr investment yet, it is absolutely worth the wait, as you go deep in city 17 or when you meet the briefcase guy who makes that deal. The game is so detailed and the best experience you can possibly have on vr, despite that the game only has 3 weapons, the upgrades system is pretty well made as it rewards players for exploring specially that all the upgrades are useful at some point and will not let your gun down anytime soon. Expand
  68. Mar 24, 2020
    Amazing. Everything is perfect. I was expecting good game but this is holy grail!!!
  69. Mar 24, 2020
    This is from far the best VR game that I ever played. the storyline is excellent and you feel completely immersed as soon as you put your headset on. I recommend it for anybody who is thinking about getting it you will not be disappointed. VR is the future and I'm happy to be part of it. Thanks again valve for this masterpeice.
  70. Mar 28, 2020
    Next level Experience in Gaming. Similar to the step from 2D to 3D. It is an unbelievable joy to hold the gun and tools in your hand.
  71. Apr 8, 2020
    Masterpiece, ties up everything well and the story leads us to a bright continuity.
  72. Apr 12, 2020
    This game is absolutely a masterpiece is a new step for the video games industry, I know that not everybody can play this game, but this game would not be the same if they don´t make it in VR. This game acts like you are in the reality with the physics, the details, is amazing! This is one of the games that everybody need to play or almost try. This type of games proves that video gamesThis game is absolutely a masterpiece is a new step for the video games industry, I know that not everybody can play this game, but this game would not be the same if they don´t make it in VR. This game acts like you are in the reality with the physics, the details, is amazing! This is one of the games that everybody need to play or almost try. This type of games proves that video games can be the eighth art. Expand
  73. Mar 29, 2020
    Great game with a great story. You can play it with any VR headset, the Valve headset is not required. I always loved Alyx as a character but now she got even better with funny and dialog. The new character Russel is a great addition to Half life and the Gordon team and i hope that he will be there for the next Half life.
  74. Mar 29, 2020
    I've been gaming for about 30 years, and this is one of the most incredible, if not the most incredible, gaming experiences in my lifetime. Valve shows us what smart and creative people can do in Virtual Reality. 13 years has been a long wait, but WOW did Valve deliver!

The levels and artwork are gorgeous. In most VR titles, since the screen is rendered twice (once for each eye) you have to choose between fidelity and framerate. On my Ryzen 5 2600 + 1080Ti, I run in High fidelity at regular 120fps on a Valve Index. Often times VR games look simpler due to having to use a faster-for-VR rendering pipeline, but Alyx looks as good as any flat-screen AAA title. The game is highly-optimized, and sets a new bar for VR looks and performance.

Another common issue in VR titles is that because you are so immersed i your world, you can feel quite alone. In Alyx, you have a constant virtual companion to keep you company, company that is extremely welcome given the parts of the game where the hair on the back of your neck will be standing up. Yes, this game has the horror aspects of Half-life 2, but amplified. Basically, it feels like Half-life 2, but you are IN the game, as opposed to behind the a screen.

Some cutting-edge VR titles feature movement types and mechanics that leave players feeling a bit off.. Boneworks, for example, allows for some very interesting and fun physics interactions with the environment, but at the expense of the player at times feeling sick. You can tell Alyx was designed to make VR as comfortable and enjoyable as it could be for everyone. Some have criticized Valve's use of teleport ladders, for example, due to their use being "immersion-breaking", but nothing is more immersion-breaking, and fun-destroying, than the brain fatigue or nausea you get from your body's actual movements not matching the movements of the screen. Even as a seasoned VR gamer, I also experience fatigue from smooth locomotion or having the player controller pushed around by in-game objects. We can play the game for hours without issues.

The sound and music, as expected, are to die for. This game is classic Half-life. The level of immersion you feel when you hear a large mechanical object suddenly land near you is simply indescribable unless you've tried VR, something you have to experience to appreciate. There are quite a few scenes and moments in this game where I experienced butterflies from the experience, or goosebumps from fear.

While this is yet another Half-life game, and there are some old elements coming back again, it felt very fresh. Half-life 2 brought zombie elements into an alien world, and that is still there in Alyx, but you will be treated to some new and very interesting enemies that are mind-blowingly cool. The old headcrabs are back, but they feel so much more menacing,and real, in this game.

I had very high expectations for the next Half-life title, after so long and from a company with a reputation like Valve, and all I can say is Valve did it. This game is absolutely amazing.
  75. Mar 31, 2020
    На мой взгляд самая лучшая VR игра на данный момент, очень крутая игра, качественно проработанная до мелочей, хороший сюжет, она того стоит, браво Valve!
  76. Mar 31, 2020
    Hands down the most immersive VR experience that I've had the pleasure to enjoy (and in some ways endure). The spectrum of delight and terror that I experienced was truly awesome. Thank you Valve for doing your part to push the standard of VR gaming to this extent.
  77. Mar 31, 2020
    Definitely one of the most satisfying VR titles i've played thus far! Works amazing on my HP and the gun play is so satisfying! the story is relate able and the pacing of game play is quite nice! love it and would HIGHLY recommend this game!
  78. Mar 31, 2020
    Extremely good game/experience, very polished, the graphics are unbelievable and the gameplay just works.. The last few hours blew my mind several times.. didn’t think an experience could be this immersive, Valve raised the bar again, for both gaming and VR...
  79. Apr 1, 2020
    I jumped in this game expecting a well polished but otherwise not exceptional experience. The opening scene kind of confirmed that with a very beautiful sight and an environment loaded with interactive items. This was fun, but clearly not enough for a good game. Well everything else after that went crescendo to give me a feeling of elation I had not felt since playing Zelda: the wind wakerI jumped in this game expecting a well polished but otherwise not exceptional experience. The opening scene kind of confirmed that with a very beautiful sight and an environment loaded with interactive items. This was fun, but clearly not enough for a good game. Well everything else after that went crescendo to give me a feeling of elation I had not felt since playing Zelda: the wind waker on gamecube all those years ago.

This game is not just the best VR game I ever played, It's the best game I played in the last 15 years, all platform included. This game is a masterpiece.
  80. Apr 1, 2020
    One of the game changers of the last 10 years. An absolute masterpiece. If this is the tip of the iceberg of the Source2 Engine, I don't know how HL3 could be.
  81. Apr 7, 2020
    El juego es simplemente absorbente, no hay palabras. Es altamente inmersivo, los escenarios son increíbles, los puzles interesantes, la ambientación del universo Half Life espectacular...
    Lo único que se echa en falta es la posibilidad de poder correr...
    Lo único que se echa en falta es la posibilidad de poder correr...
    Y el único defecto del juego, que se acabe. Me ha costado 18 horas, porque juego sin prisas, explorando todo bien, buscando recursos por todos los cajones. Tiene detalles para rabiar..
    Me he quedado con ganas de más. Espero una segunda parte o un Half Life 3 con la misma calidad que este. Y por supuesto, en VR.
    Y también, una versión no VR para que pueda llegar a más gente, aunque supongo que eso es mucho trabajo para los desarrolladores, y cambiaría totalmente el concepto del juego
  82. Mar 29, 2020
    It would be pointless to write another review, as there are already tons out there with WHY the game is so great. I am amazed how Valve manged it to bring HL2 (which I played religiously in 2004 and then HL2:DM for a long time) into 2020...and it doesn't feel dated but all new and exciting again. My Rift was literally collecting dust in its box...and this is finally a game I can't stopIt would be pointless to write another review, as there are already tons out there with WHY the game is so great. I am amazed how Valve manged it to bring HL2 (which I played religiously in 2004 and then HL2:DM for a long time) into 2020...and it doesn't feel dated but all new and exciting again. My Rift was literally collecting dust in its box...and this is finally a game I can't stop playing.
    Everything, everything about this game is just awesome.

To the people who say that "they made it only to sell their $1000 index HMD": Well you can get a used Rift CV1 for €200, less than just an average gamer monitor. Your "$1000 HMD" argument doesn't fly anymore.
  83. Mar 23, 2020
    the best thing ever happened to PC gaming
    Best Half Life game/Best of VR game/Best pc game/
    JUST THE BEST GAME
    what can be better than this? maybe only something like Sword Art Online in real life?
    (btw SAO is **** i was just using it as example)
  84. Mar 29, 2020
    Half Life is back.

Make no mistake, this is not Half Life 3, but it is a full-fledged Half Life game, a wonderful addition to the series, and pushes the boundaries of gaming's newest frontier like all major Half Life games should. Some experienced VR users have expressed frustration with some features that Alyx is missing compared to other VR games like H3 and Boneworks. These
    Half Life is back.

Some experienced VR users have expressed frustration with some features that Alyx is missing compared to other VR games like H3 and Boneworks. These critiques are valid, but my theory is that this is because Valve has included only the most polished VR interactions and features that they could. It is a solid title for both those new to VR, as well as people who have been escaping meatspace since 2016 or even earlier.

If you bought a VR headset for this game and are finished with it, don't put that headset away yet, this isn't all VR has to offer. If you want more Half-Life in VR just on an indie budget, pick up Boneworks. If you want more physics-based combat, pick up Blade & Sorcery or GORN. If you want even more intricate and wonderful gunplay, pick up Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, & Hand Grenades. If now you're thinking you'd like to try Counter-Strike in VR, pick up Pavlov. If you want another linear semi-horror, single-player VR FPS, pick up Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners. If you want something completely different, you can't go wrong with Beat Saber.

Many people have already proclaimed Half Life: Alyx to be VRs "killer app" and that argument certainly has merit, but don't let that trick you into thinking it's all there is worth playing.
  85. Mar 24, 2020
    holy **** a must play game! if you haven't gotten a VR yet, NOW IS THE TIME.
  86. Mar 24, 2020
    This game is mind blowing. Absolute fantastic experience so far. It is incredible how immersive this game is. There are so many great details to discover and the atmosphere is really terrific.

You should not expect the freedom and sandbox physics like it is in Boneworks. But in return this game so much less clunky and feels so much more polished. Instead of a sandbox you get a theme park game. And its the best theme park I have every experienced.

One further comment to movement options: This game is clearly designed to be used with teleportation/dash movement and not for free locomotion. I always though that free locomotion would bring the best immersive feeling, but I changed my opinion completely. I think that the dash movement is much less immersion breaking than the free locomotion option.

The reason is simple: When freely moving with a thump-stick you are moving all the time, even for small distances as it is the most convenient way (humans are lazy). But this means that you are all the time disconnected from your real movement and it feels more like sitting in a cockpit.

In the dash mode however, it is easier to just walk one step in your play area if an object (for example a door) is close enough. So I really get around in my play area a lot and it feels like I am really there. Of course to move greater distances you need to dash, but I think it feels really good and immersive because the audio effects are so great that it kind of feels as if you are moving there.

Surely, from time to time, you get too close to the boundary of your play area and then you need to step back and dash forward, but for me this is way less immersion breaking than moving all the time independent of your body, since in total you have much more time to be completely immersed in the game.

Also I think it is better to disabled snap turning as you are more immersed in the game if you turn manually in real life (you need cable management though.)
  87. Mar 24, 2020
    Valve shows once again that they are the kings of video game innovation.

Valve shows once again that they are the kings of video game innovation.

At first i was curious how this would compare to Boneworks, a Half-life inspired game in VR that is truly groundbreaking in how it handles realism and physics. However Boneworks starts to show fairly early on the limitations of full physics simulation when precision can be unforgiving and dissonance between real life and virtual can create some really awkward jank.

This is where Valve flex their masterful AAA muscles and experience. They have struck that perfect balance between realistic physics, world agency, but also making if feel fluid, seamless and deliberate.They have pushed the boundaries of VR and made the first truly killer app that has the titanic weight of the Half-Life IP behind it. This is where Valve and Half-Life truly belongs, at the frontier of gameplay innovation.
  88. Mar 24, 2020
    The best VR game of all time and one of the best games this year. Not to even mention that it brings back one of the best game series back from the dead.
  89. Mar 25, 2020
    Greatest VR Game ever made, one of the best first person shooters of all time.

As a diehard Half-life fan, I am overwhelmingly happy this game got made. The ending is so special.

90. Mar 23, 2020
    This game is incredible. Truly a good vr game. It was well worth the wait..
  91. Mar 23, 2020
    Absolutely amazing! Valve is once again changing the way people play games and while many people are upset now, it wont be long before VR is going to be the way to go.
  92. Mar 26, 2020
    Gracias valve nos has dado lo que estábamos esperando ojala venga el 3. Gloria al señor gaben
  93. Mar 31, 2020
    Absolute terrific delivery from Valve. Graphics are really good and balanced, physics top notch and the story of half-life is unraveled deeper. Even on a cheap WMR headset you can really enjoy this masterpiece.
    Could not recommend more.
  94. Mar 24, 2020
    The best VR game to date and a worthy Half-Life game. Waited 12 years and did not get disapointed. Graphics, gameplay, sound, storytelling is just a joy. Also the best left hand support in vr.
  95. Mar 29, 2020
    Es una jodida maravilla, mira que tenía las expectativas altas pero pffff, las ha superado, y la optimización es brutal, hasta con una GTX 1650 se puede jugar.
  96. Mar 29, 2020
    Played the whole game, took about 12 hours to complete. In terms of gameplay it's not going to blow your mind but it's not intended to. It feels incredibly natural, what you think should happen will usually happen. Make sure you avoid spoilers because the game has a great story which you will want to earn. I see a lot of people saying the game is disappointing compared to Boneworks butPlayed the whole game, took about 12 hours to complete. In terms of gameplay it's not going to blow your mind but it's not intended to. It feels incredibly natural, what you think should happen will usually happen. Make sure you avoid spoilers because the game has a great story which you will want to earn. I see a lot of people saying the game is disappointing compared to Boneworks but everything I disliked about Boneworks wasn't in this game. Platforming in Boneworks was irritating. The thumbstick movement in Boneworks made me feel really sick but with Alyx I didn't feel anything with the blink motion enabled. The action with guns felt incredibly similar but Half Life had the added great scripting of the enemies and each big fight felt like you were fighting for your life.

The short review is it's amazing and it is an instant VR classic.

Notes for people who are on the fence:

1. You don't need to buy the Valve Index
    2. It's a prequel but it definitely adds to the story of the original games
    3. It isn't Half Life 3 but uses the Half Life universe correctly and treats the lore well
    4. The game really wouldn't be the same with a mouse and keyboard, people will complain but the game would be so easy with a mouse a keyboard but the added complexity of VR IS the game.
    5. If you are interested in VR and just are waiting for an opportunity this is definitely the opportunity but if you aren't interested that is fine
    6. There is no need to spam 0/10 ratings on a game you never played
  97. Mar 23, 2020
    What you dream every VR game was. Lives up to its expectations. I'd wait another 13 years for another game like this
  98. Mar 25, 2020
    Действительно топовая игра для VR. Атмосферно, интересно, затягивающе. Ожидания оправдались, игра просто нечто.
  99. Mar 25, 2020
    People who complain is because they haven't tried it. Total feeling of being in City 17 and the Half-Life atmosphere. Amazing second by second. Overwhelming enjoyment for saga lovers.
    Great story and content.
    Masterpiece: the best game for both VR and PC/console. Essential. La gente que se queja es porque no lo ha probado. Sensación total de estar en Ciudad 17 y en la atmósfera de
    Great story and content.
    Masterpiece: the best game for both VR and PC/console. Essential.

La gente que se queja es porque no lo ha probado. Sensación total de estar en Ciudad 17 y en la atmósfera de Half-Life. Asombroso segundo a segundo. Un disfrute brutal para los amantes de la saga.
    Gran historia y contenido.
    Obra maestra: el mejor juego tanto de VR como de PC o consola. Imprescindible.

Las uvas no están verdes, afortunadamente.
  100. Apr 14, 2020
    I think this is the best VR game to date and might even qualify as the "must have" vr title. It's quite immersive and the physics aspect is just great. I'm playing with a pimax headset and the immersion the combination gets is just amazing.

Universal acclaim - based on 69 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 21, 2020
    Half-Life Alyx is proof that Valve is still at its best creatively. This emblematic franchise has been brought to virtual reality; in Alyx we enjoy an immersion never seen before, with comfortable and intuitive mechanics as well as excellent visuals and atmosphere that accompany this interesting adventure within the iconic saga.
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    May 21, 2020
    It’s a good thing that Valve didn’t add a digit to the title: from Half-Life 3 we expect nothing short of revolution, while Alyx is “merely” an amazing game. [Issue#245, p.50]
  3. May 15, 2020
    A special mention should be made of the game's dialog, mainly consisting of Alyx herself and Russel, a scientist who Alex remains in constant communication with throughout the game. Their relationship feels genuine, the conversations between them are enjoyable, and almost all of the intended comedic moments land perfectly, which is something most video games seem to have trouble with.