9.0

1. May 22, 2017
    This is a very fun and quite an amazing game, but it is way too hard. I'm a bad player and I got frustrated very shortly after starting (reaching the first boss), so I stopped playing because it wasn't fun doing the same passage over and over again and dying every time. It's a good metroidvania game, but the difficulty is quite unforgiving. Even some regular enemies can kill you super easyThis is a very fun and quite an amazing game, but it is way too hard. I'm a bad player and I got frustrated very shortly after starting (reaching the first boss), so I stopped playing because it wasn't fun doing the same passage over and over again and dying every time. It's a good metroidvania game, but the difficulty is quite unforgiving. Even some regular enemies can kill you super easy (like the one guarding the first boss). I am not an extremely good gamer either, so that also counts towards that.
    if you like metroidvania games and enjoy some challenge - this is a 9/10 game for you. But if you wanted something more relaxing (like I did) you will likely be disappointed.
  2. Mar 4, 2017
    + Extremely well made aesthetically
    - Loathe the confusing level layout

If the game laid everything out nicely, it would be a 10/10 for me.
    I cannot play the game anymore, as I am sick of backtracking.
  3. Apr 14, 2017
    Extremely overrated. The game isn't bad, it does make the "Arcade"/"nu-Action Adventure" genre well, but the rating we see of 8+ is seriously overvalued. Their quality assurance team/guy had a severe lack of perspective of how frustrating it can be to a beginner to the game. It throws you in an environment that explains NOTHING, and while that *CAN* be good, it is NOT done well. First ofExtremely overrated. The game isn't bad, it does make the "Arcade"/"nu-Action Adventure" genre well, but the rating we see of 8+ is seriously overvalued. Their quality assurance team/guy had a severe lack of perspective of how frustrating it can be to a beginner to the game. It throws you in an environment that explains NOTHING, and while that *CAN* be good, it is NOT done well. First of all you collect a currency that is apparently extremely important in the game. But, the game tells you zero information about it. That could be fine and well if it didn't have a mechanic that zeroes your currency without ever being informed that can be possible. Not only that, but it throws the player immediately into some of its most hard to navigate and survive levels. In general the game tries to keep a "mystery" and "hard" element, but it becomes a disaster because it overdoes it with those two elements. Games are boring when they are too easy, or when they are too hand-holded, that is true, but this has passed the threshold of excess. In no way it is excessive for all people, otherwise it wouldn't deserve even a 6, but in my opinion this game is extremely overrated due to its ability to frustrate a lot if not most people. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2017
    I really dislike this game for a variety of reasons, and while it might be that Metroidvania games just aren't for me, I think there are a few ways that Hollow Knight can improve to make it a much better experience for any gamer, not just fans of the Metroid series.

The good: * The level design is great and every overworld feels expansive * Hollow Knight controls fluidly and attacks

The good:

* The level design is great and every overworld feels expansive
    * Hollow Knight controls fluidly and attacks feel responsive
    * In terms of presentation, the game is extremely polished and well thought out.

The bad:

* The pacing of the game is very bad in the beginning. Most players will struggle to find upgrades for Hollow Knight and while some areas are clearly inaccessible due to lack of upgrades, there are simply too many instances of inaccessibility to keep track of. This is something that Metroid games do well; they give you enough cognitive load so that you can understand what you can come back for without feeling overwhelming. They do this by keeping the scope small at first and then gradually opening the game.
    * The game itself is very unfun. Most of the areas, while extremely polished, look exactly the same and aren't really very unique. The game really didn't keep me engaged as I would have liked from a modern sidescroller and I found myself getting bored often. The combat, while responsive, also isn't very fun. Maybe I didn't unlock enough parts of Hollow Knight, but an hour and a half in I still hadn't found any upgrades to spice things up or make it easier to kill enemies.
    * The enemies are mostly unoriginal. You'll find your same old walkers, sprinters, jumpers, knights, etc. Some bosses have the same types of attacks and weaknesses. I would have liked to see some more creative enemies that aren't so similar. Games like Shovel Knight do this well; enemies are extremely varied, have different properties, and bosses usually have very unique mechanics.
    * The sound is very hit or miss, mostly being a miss. The thwacks and the thumps of being engaged in combat aren't satisfying and a lot of creatures sound mostly the same. It's almost as if the sound designer had no idea what compression is.
    * You lose all of your credits when you die. This was quite possibly the most frustrating thing for me. I was on my way to grab an item in Dirtmouth when I ran into a boss while having low health and naturally, I died. It spawned me at a save station and all of that progress I had made was gone. This seems like a really outdated mechanic and I would like to see other solutions that don't involve losing all of your progress. Maybe provide a save station next to boss encounters or restart boss encounters given that your players will be fighting the boss many times... etc.
  5. Jul 17, 2017
    This has to be the most annoying metroid-like game I've played. It is not too difficult but it just plays this specific game on the player. It makes you want to throw your joystick at the wall. Although I like it, I always leave it with a feeling of un-satisfaction. I've played a lot of games when the norm is to die a lot. Not the case here - as the norm is to be annoyed a lot instead.
  6. Nov 2, 2017
    The good - Absolutely beautiful, tight combat
    The bad - Most everything else
    The ugly - The map, the repitition This is a game about being wandering around lost in a network of gorgeous caves. But when I mean lost, I don't mean "lost in thought" or "lost in wonder", I mean lost as in "walking back and forth with no idea where you're are or where you're supposed to be going. The late
    The good - Absolutely beautiful, tight combat
    The bad - Most everything else
    The ugly - The map, the repitition

This is a game about being wandering around lost in a network of gorgeous caves. But when I mean lost, I don't mean "lost in thought" or "lost in wonder", I mean lost as in "walking back and forth with no idea where you're are or where you're supposed to be going. The late game really goes off the rails, giving you destinations but no idea how to get there. How do you get to boss in the bottom of the map? Going to the far top right of the map, of course, and getting an easily-missed upgrade! I didn't check one path because I thought I had already been there, and paid for it with literally over three hours of wandering. This game can NOT be played without a guide.

There is more to this game, but the vast majority is wandering around lost, so I won't get into too much detail. Combat is tight but extremely repetitive - you use your basic sword (called a Nail) for the entire game. Your "special attacks" amount to a magic blast up, a magic dive down, and a magic ball forward. You get all three seperately to enhance the illusion of progression and variety.

There is one good thing to say, though! This game is gorgeous. There's no two ways about it! Almost the entirety of the game takes place underground, but despite this every area is distinct and the ambiance is different. The shining and ethereal Crystal Peak, the creepy Deepnest, the desolate Dirtmouth, and the barren Ancient Basin. Best of all is the City of Tears, an ancient, abandoned city where it is contantly "raining".

But really, this is a game to watch, not one worth playing. Get some poor sucker to play it nearby and enjoy the ambience from a distance. Otherwise you're going to be spending hours hunting that one switch in that one room that will open the path to that one ability that will let you get to that one quest spot.
  7. Aug 8, 2018
    from an unknown bug to a moth, from a basic tutorial to KICKING YOUR A$$ EVERY 30 MINUTES, this game keep killing me every time i tried to do a process,
    but for anyone who like hardcore games or a hardcore gamer him/herself, i recommend you buy this game and playing it, otherwise STAY, AWAY, FROM IT.
    i have finish it over 50 HOURS, with 104 % completion. hollow knight is not a bad
    i have finish it over 50 HOURS, with 104 % completion.

hollow knight is not a bad game(is a GREAT GAME IF YOU ASK ME), but is was so hard, i finally finish it and never EVER touch it ever again. (also hollow knight is my second metroidvania finishing as far as i know)
  8. Mar 13, 2017
    Highly inspired by both metroid-vania and dark souls. The graphics and tone are nice though the jumping feels quite stiff. Its not as good as say "ori and the blind forest" but it is solid choice for anyone who's a fan of platformers.
  9. Apr 11, 2019
    Totally horrible level design. The game looks and sounds gorgeous, but it has some severe backtracking issues. Developers simply decided not to put fast travel points or shortcuts into some of the remote areas like Deepnest and Ancient Basin. So, out of 20-30 hours it will take you to finish this game without a guide, 10 of them will be because you have to repeat same platforming over andTotally horrible level design. The game looks and sounds gorgeous, but it has some severe backtracking issues. Developers simply decided not to put fast travel points or shortcuts into some of the remote areas like Deepnest and Ancient Basin. So, out of 20-30 hours it will take you to finish this game without a guide, 10 of them will be because you have to repeat same platforming over and over again.
    Now, you would thing "Ok, this is Metroidvania, of course there's backtracking". But, there's backtracking, which is why we all enjoy the genre, and there's Backtracking. When you literally has to cross the map from one point to the other, because somebody decided not to put fast travel anywhere close. It will literally take you 2-3 minutes of real time to get where you need.
    So yeah, you come to a point when you get a new skill, look at where you could use it and literally go "Nope, not going there again, Deepnest".
    Some bosses, like the Hive Knight and Traitor Lord are especially notorious for this. Hive Knight is literally 5 minutes of real time platforming and fighting away from the bench.
    Do yourself a favor, and farm for Dreamgate which allows you to set a teleport before a boss.
    Also, if you don't like extensive platforming, stay away from this game. By the end of it, you'll feel like you're playing some Super Meat Boy.

1. Jul 29, 2018
    Hollow Knight is one of the best 2D platformers I’ve ever played - it is a beautiful, quirky and dynamic game; challenging yet rewarding; mournful yet brimming with hope. When it comes to console, it’s going to cause a real stir.
  2. Jun 22, 2018
    Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania with a well of content to discover that’s as deep as its labyrinthine caves. The world of Hallownest is compelling and rich, full of story that’s left for you to discover on your own, and built with branching paths that offer an absurd amount of choice in how you go about discovering it. With such a high density of secrets to find and fun, challenging enemies to face, it’s worth spending every moment you can in Hollow Knight.
  3. Jan 2, 2018
    A very difficult and hand-drawn Metroidvania with an enormous size for players with a lot of patience and a high frustration tolerance.