8.2

1. Feb 28, 2015
    A hack job, that's what this 'remastered' version is. The issues with it? Here is a list:
    so list:
    capturing frigates on mission 3 fails to give you back the captured ships. because the physics (ballistic) system is not being used gearbox modified all the unit stats and balance around the RNG system, meaning ships like destroyers are hard countering frigates, ships move weirdly. I
    so list:
    capturing frigates on mission 3 fails to give you back the captured ships.

I did warn people about this change, but everyone said it was not a big deal... now you are seeing the consequences.

Multiple queues are limited to 2, this broke balance further in hw1.

Support frigates needing to dock with ships means they cannot repair fast nor at long range nor actually support.

support frigates cannot hyperspace while carrying strike craft.

Formations are completely broken (they are not working at all) this also is because the game is using RNG instead of ballistic system.

capturing carriers or alike will not allow you to build ships with them.

because they are using triggers instead of game mechanics capturing resource collectors on missions where you have to destroy them, will consider them as alive and keep giving resources ad infinitum to carriers to magically keep popping fighters or frigates.

capturing ships sometimes will make them pop out ships from the enemy team (carriers).

the special ability keys mostly do NOT work with bandbox selection, this includes salvage frigates (and pretty much means its a pain to use them).

because ships aren't taking onto account collision paths on the asteroids missions fighters will not evade asteroids and will get massively crushed.

friendly ships keep attacking ships that are already being hold by enough salvage corvettes meaning they often destroy your prey.

shift+click for queuing fast 5 on 5 ships does not work.

there seems to be an arbitrarily low strike craft build limit active?

The UI ships icons are night impossible to clearly identify what do you have selected.

the mouse seems to be lagging (is it hardware accelerated?)

salvage corvettes suddenly seem able to easily capture enemy corvettes (this is because it seems... evasion mechanics were disabled because they do not affect the RNG system) so they fly linearly and just get clamped easily.

salvage corvettes are not showing their capture beam animation.

the camera zooming out seems to be limited so much you cannot have a good view of the battles unless you go into tactical view which...

tactical view Is broken.

the game randomly crashes on missions 4/5

missing select unused harvesters button.

gearbox did it on purpose but why research needs to cost resources at all? it could have been left to work just like hw1, this seems to be an unnecessary change.
  2. Mar 4, 2015
    Aside from the graphics looking a little better just about everything else has been made worse. Formatins don't stick. Units can't be made not to shoot enemy shipts when I am capturing them (stand down is broken). Broken scriping througout. Some missions get stuck with no way to finish them. Ships get stuck with funny jitery movements. Broken path finding. AI seems erattic and withAside from the graphics looking a little better just about everything else has been made worse. Formatins don't stick. Units can't be made not to shoot enemy shipts when I am capturing them (stand down is broken). Broken scriping througout. Some missions get stuck with no way to finish them. Ships get stuck with funny jitery movements. Broken path finding. AI seems erattic and with inconsistent rules. At one time research for ion cannons is stated to be available but nothing apears in the research list so you must reload from earlier levels. Many other mechanics have been removed or destroyed like fuel or being able to heal a fleet automatically rather than baby manage each unit. Over all a horibily broken game. Frustrating to say the least. In no way is it the gem the original was. You can tell no love went into this one. Expand
  3. Mar 1, 2015
    I expect from a remastered a high quality and very few bugs.

Too many bugs so far. Homeworld 1 remastered is basically a port of homeworld 1 on homeworld 2 engine, incorrectly tested.
  4. Mar 7, 2015
    I have to agree with the lower scores here. I come from the original series as well and they were awesome. They are still better than any RTS today. The remastered versions however only got a slightly better look and to work on modern PC's. The issues mentioned by those scoring the remastered version low is the issues i see as well, and so i dont understand when people score the RMI have to agree with the lower scores here. I come from the original series as well and they were awesome. They are still better than any RTS today. The remastered versions however only got a slightly better look and to work on modern PC's. The issues mentioned by those scoring the remastered version low is the issues i see as well, and so i dont understand when people score the RM versions highly. Too many issues and changes from the original games that shouldnt been done because it made the RM versions worse. They look better, sure, but the IMPORTANT stuff was made worse. Graphics seems to be what people rate games for today which is a shame. Back in the day when we "didnt have" gaphics - gameplay and mechanics mattered.

I hope Gearbox can patch and fix these issues because this should really be bought by every RTS gamer out there, and you can clearly see that even though the game is old, its so good and better than most RTS'es today that it will keep selling for years to come. Patch the issues, and get cracking on expanding on Homeworld and release HW3 in a couple of years. I will buy HW3 if the issues are fixed, new campaign, upgraded graphics engine (not really needed, but would be epic to see the REAL mechanics from the original in a modern engine).

I give it 4/10 for fixing the original games to work on todays PC's, and for at least trying to get the best RTS ever made remastered to a new audience, and to us veterans. So 6 points missing for a perfect score because Gearbox changed or broke some vital and great working mechanics from the original versions. Also i think i crashed only once and the performance was decent on max graphics (slight stutter on a rather good PC). Please try again Gearbox. Patch what the community is asking you to patch, and then get busy making HW3. It will take the RTS crown and bring in a lot of money. Just do it right.
  5. Apr 4, 2015
    NOTE: Exclusively about Homeworld 1 Remastered, not tested 2 yet.

As much as I love Homeworld the initial release is kind of disappointing to say the least. Many features are broken or just don't exist and even though I'm glad it's not just a fancy copy of the original I can't help the feeling some changes were just wrong. Some of the stuff that doesn't work: - Formations and
    NOTE: Exclusively about Homeworld 1 Remastered, not tested 2 yet.

Some of the stuff that doesn't work:
    - Formations and behavior don't work at all.
    - Some selection behaviors HW players got used to (ie. selecting all ships of one type in formation with the mothership by clicking only one ship) don't exist
    - Some 'box commands' don't work/are missing (most notably salvaging)
    - Ship AI is really lacking so you can't depend on them to make reasonable tactical decisions themselves anymore (ie ships keep attacking a salvaged ship; selecting a sub-optimal target)
    - "Keep docked" in the launch window does nothing
    - tactical map refuses to open under certain circumstances

the actual list goes on but I'll save that for a forum post

Once you know how to deal with all these problems the gameplay isn't too bad. Having played the original not long before I appreciate at least some of the changes made but overall it's some kind of a mixed bag situation. Salvaging for example isn't as broken as it was in HW1 but that's only because the ships are simply not worth it = salvaging not worth it (especially if you basically have to babysit your entire fleet)
    The introduction of the dynamic difficulty (basically determining the enemy's fleet's strength based on your's at the end of the previous mission) should not have happened. Not only was HW1 well balanced in difficulty (if you didn't use 'exploits') but the high amount of resources also means players will muster up their fleet before starting the next mission in preparation and be outnumbered anyways. I'm not through yet but I'm anticipating problems in later missions.

Multiplayer is kind of strange. Combining the HW1 and HW2 races sounded nice but they didn't figure out how to handle the differences between the two games. Fighters will build individually or in squads, tech trees, Taiidan und Hiigaran fleets still almost the same, differently working building mechanics.... It's just not ONE game but two somehow mashed together. How about a game mode option for HW1 or HW2 style and build around that?

*sigh* .. at least it happened but there is so much not working I hope they pull themselves together, fix all the problems and continue making good HW games like the franchise deserves.
  6. Mar 8, 2015
    New players to the game wont know the problems untill you play the classic game. And as this is a "Remasterd" title, I will be doing a strict comparison to the original title.

I had heard there would be a select few changes to the original game, and that they would all be for the better.But largely, that is not what we got. the Homeworld '1' remastered is not the game we were lead to believe it was going to be. while the visuals are great as one would expect them to be, the mechanics fall woefully short of the original game. here is a list of the biggest problems in my opinion. in no particular order:
    1 ) support frigates no longer repair units from a distance, and instead take a long time maneuvering around a ship in desperate need of repair, before finding a good spot to fix it from.
    2 ) the same for resource collectors who now circle forever to find a good spot to harvest from.
    3 ) the difficulty scales with your own fleet power, before there were a set number of enemys in an area, but now there are more or less depending how your campaign progresses.
    4 ) the original end credits is not featured in the remastered(which from what I understand is more greedy record label than the fault of gearbox, but its still a problem)
    5 ) instead of the awesome tactics and beautiful formations with physics based hit detection, it was substituted for the random number generation of HW2.

Any of the changes listed above would be upsetting for long time fans of homeworld, but number 5 is the biggest deviation from the gameplay of HW1Classic. and in it of itself ruins the game, because without this the only thing the remastered has in common with the classic is the title and story. Whatever reason Geabox told themselves to convince themselves that the changes(butchering) to the classic game was okay, was dead wrong.

I was expecting two remastered games, not one game with two campaigns. ! award 2 points because it does contain the original unmolested games and otherwise a pretty game to look at, but not play.
  7. Feb 28, 2015
    While the graphics have been brought up to modern standards, the mechanics (at least in HW1) are a bastardization. No fuel, die rolls instead of bullet physics, tactics have been completely removed, formations simply don't work, corvettes behave like fighters, and getting units to do what you want them to do is an exercise in frustration. On top of that, the release is riddled with bugs.While the graphics have been brought up to modern standards, the mechanics (at least in HW1) are a bastardization. No fuel, die rolls instead of bullet physics, tactics have been completely removed, formations simply don't work, corvettes behave like fighters, and getting units to do what you want them to do is an exercise in frustration. On top of that, the release is riddled with bugs. Not good enough. Expand
  8. Apr 5, 2015
    Homeworld 2 Remastered is very solid, but homeworld 1 is really broken. I really dont know why Gearbox, changed HW 1 exactly to be like Hmeworld 2. HW 1 was better game. This game got a lot of bugs too (not many in HW2, but half of features in HW 1 dont work, or is pretty buggy.
    This remaster is not **** in terms of Visual quality, but it is really buggy and Homeworld 1 got game breaking problems.
  9. Mar 14, 2015
    Issue is simply it is too hard without any way to adjust the difficulty. If you cannot get by the 4th mission since the AI throws everything at you including the kitchen sink, why buy the game. In the PC world you have many titles that do not adjust for different gamer levels and just show some pretty graphics. For those people who have a life, are the average gamer who enjoys a nice game,Issue is simply it is too hard without any way to adjust the difficulty. If you cannot get by the 4th mission since the AI throws everything at you including the kitchen sink, why buy the game. In the PC world you have many titles that do not adjust for different gamer levels and just show some pretty graphics. For those people who have a life, are the average gamer who enjoys a nice game, stay away from this game. Nice graphics don't fix game play and you will be frustrated giving up shortly. Expand
  10. May 3, 2015
    Homeworld has become an average mod implemented for the Homeworld 2 engine. It sure looks pretty but the game play has took a big step backwards.The single player campaign takes a backseat to the goal of combining both games into a big multiplayer face off. so all the original single player balance has been turned on its head to make the original fleets fit with the fleets of HW2.

Add

Add to that the flight and healing mechanics and a pile of other stuff no longer work like they did makes this not so much a remasterering rather a clunky remake.

The fact non of the so called critic's even seemed to notice that one of the two playable factions in the first game has been completely removed tells you all you need to know about how much effort they put into their reviews.

But what the hay, it sure looks spiffy!! ...I mean that's all that matters right ?....
  11. Feb 25, 2015
    TLDR: A remaster should be everything the original was and more; however, besides vastly improved graphics there are several things missing that the original had.

I haven't gotten very far into it yet but I'm already seeing a lot of bugs (playing HW2 first as I expected that to have less issues as its more native for the engine). So far I've already seen ships go flipping rapidly, missing explosion effects and damage decals. I also find a lot of the sound effects annoying and the new voice isn't nearly as good as the old one, and they removed the ability to recolor your ships. The classic version of the game has been fixed up so it doesn't flicker anymore; however, it only has openGl support now, and still doesn't have wide screen support.

The game does look excellent, but its also showing far more bugs than what the originals had (and beings its just a remaster it should have been... better, than the original).

Thus I'm giving it a 4, 10/10 for the good graphics (and some superb title screens), not only does it not bring anything new to the game, but it removes things like recoloring your team and playing as the Tidiian.
  12. Mar 3, 2015
    They killed the amazing original HW1 mechanics. No fuel, insane bullet physics, tactics and formations that dont work. Its almost impossible to play the HW1 Remastered campaing due how bad that mechanic is.

A remaster version should preserve the original game mechanics, that makes the original HW1 a true masterpiece. Thats essential. Gearbox epic fail After 20 minutes trying to

Gearbox epic fail

After 20 minutes trying to play the remastered HW 1, i gave up and went to the original HW1 even with bad graphics is far better that this insut that they call remaster.
  13. Feb 26, 2015
    Homeworld 1 Remaster is nothing but a Homeworld 2 mod deprived of all the depth that original had.
    No fuel
    Tactics and formations absolutely broken. And many more gameplay elements that are broken at this point. Also YES song was removed. They say it's because of the engine limitations. Meanwhile they both games run on the same modified engine. Excuses excuses. Gearbox proved once
    No fuel
    Tactics and formations absolutely broken.
    And many more gameplay elements that are broken at this point.

Also YES song was removed.

They say it's because of the engine limitations. Meanwhile they both games run on the same modified engine. Excuses excuses. Gearbox proved once again that they should stop doing video games. Salvaging someone elses work and making it worse is not a Remaster.
  14. Jul 22, 2015
    I bought this pack beliving in the steam shop "very positive" thing. I'm very dissapointed. This game is not a remake. A remake must respect the basis of the game. It is a plague of bugs.
    Dissapointing.

Most of the comments giving a high score are from fans that really don't played this version. I'm sorry, but it is true.

1. Jan 21, 2016
    Homeworld is just as revolutionary in 2015 as it was in 1999—and now it looks great too.
  2. May 25, 2015
    Homeworld Remastered Collection is a huge proposition, an indelible package, and it deserves to remain a towering monolith in the RTS game canon as long as possible... And now, I think that maybe it's not so bad feeling tiny.
  3. May 18, 2015
    Homeworld is back in great shape, and you won't regret diving into your best sci-fi memories.