8.1

1. Jan 27, 2018
    iconoclast is one my favorite metroidvania
    Game duration approximately 16 hours , each boss has his way of defeating exquisite level design and a well-balanced difficulty .
    beautiful pixel art design and an incredible story and very well achieved. although it is linear, it is quite enjoyable to explore "of course if you are one of those who want to obtain 100%" delight for maniacal
    iconoclast is one my favorite metroidvania
    beautiful pixel art design and an incredible story and very well achieved.

delight for maniacal metroidvania fans
  2. Jan 26, 2018
    Iconoclasts is good and bad for all of the wrong reasons. It aims to be a Metroidvania, but is a mostly linear game, its platforming sections are really simple and the backtracking can be horrendous sometimes. However, the game does shine in its story, with interesting characters and a plot that keeps you playing wanting to see what happens next. The combat can be weird sometimes, with theIconoclasts is good and bad for all of the wrong reasons. It aims to be a Metroidvania, but is a mostly linear game, its platforming sections are really simple and the backtracking can be horrendous sometimes. However, the game does shine in its story, with interesting characters and a plot that keeps you playing wanting to see what happens next. The combat can be weird sometimes, with the player trying to figure out how to beat some enemies, but gets really good at boss fights, which are all very creative and memorable. Expand
  3. Aug 7, 2018
    In terms of gameplay, Iconoclasts focuses more on puzzles than on platforming and action, although it has those too. However the main draws of this game are its gorgeous pixel art graphics and its strong story. The narrative has much better characterization and plot than almost any other 'metroidvania'.
    There is one thing I don't like about the game, and that's the boss battles. I played on hard mode, and the bosses were extremely tedious trial-and-error puzzles where you die in 3-5 hits and have to retry over and over again before you realize what you're supposed to do. It's really not dependent on your skill with the controls.
    There is one particular boss near the end of the game that has multiple forms, and I was so pissed that there is no checkpoint between the first and second form. It was SO tedious. The game almost left a bad taste because of that, however, the last handful of bosses were much better, not nearly as annoying as most of the game. So to me the game redeemed itself at the end.
  4. Apr 30, 2018
    What an adventure! BEST game i've played in years! So far for me it is best game of 2018. Gorgeous art style (best pixelart I've ever seen) very good level design, good interesting story, Charming characters and animation .... oh, this animation! And battles with bosses is something! It's not just a battle, it's like a little puzzle. Dumb spam does not work. Iconoclasts one of those gamesWhat an adventure! BEST game i've played in years! So far for me it is best game of 2018. Gorgeous art style (best pixelart I've ever seen) very good level design, good interesting story, Charming characters and animation .... oh, this animation! And battles with bosses is something! It's not just a battle, it's like a little puzzle. Dumb spam does not work. Iconoclasts one of those games which you regret when they over. Expand
  5. Apr 12, 2018
    This game remind me why i'm playing video game
    so clean and neat and enjoyable game
  6. Sep 19, 2018
    Yes, yes, I know everyone praises this game for being developed by one person. That is cool and all, however I, unlike many other reviewers, will not use kid gloves to rate this game. Moving on:

Story: 4/10 This is a reasonably complex narrative that honestly reeks of pretentiousness or a lack of understanding in what makes a good narrative. It is pretty obvious that only one person

Story: 4/10
    This is a reasonably complex narrative that honestly reeks of pretentiousness or a lack of understanding in what makes a good narrative. It is pretty obvious that only one person made this, as the characters have no depth. The overall story regarding the One Concern, Mother, the characters, and overall lore is just not interesting or told well at all. Loads of dialog that is very, very boring. I can read logs in Metroid Prime, Axiom Verge, or other games all day. These other games have no voice acting also, but have a strong narrative. I feel like this person should have gotten a volunteer friend or family member to help with the story to ensure that it made sense before release. The game would honestly probably be way better if the game play elements existed without any of the story being included. It is really that bad. For readers, this is an honest review, not a "favor" to the creator like so many others have posted to support the developer. The story should be better or removed period.

Graphics: 7/10
    The graphics are retro style 8-16 bit-ish. Overall, pretty good. It is animated very well. I like many of the character designs. I will note that some of them are pretty bland, but some aren't. Particularly, the main two characters are my favorite of the entire game and have the overall best designs and art. The overall art style of the game is kind of bland and not very creative looking. No area will look impressive to you, even compared to previous games of a similar style. Due to being the most consistent part of the game, I gave it a decent score.

Sound/Music: 3/10
    I love good music and sound. This game has neither. The is one or two areas where the music is kind of catchy, but not because it is that good, so much as how it loops very quickly and is easy to remember as such. After I stop playing for a few days, I won't be remembering or looking to purchase or download the soundtrack. I feel like this could have been done much better even if only by a single person.

Gameplay: 3/10

The 3 is for the fact that some of the bosses are pretty fun, challenging, and unique. Otherwise, the entire game is a giant chore. The powers and abilities are very infrequent. Collectibles in the game can be very challenging to get and sometimes involve fun puzzles, but amount to nothing. They are typically just pieces used to buy and equip tweaks. Tweaks allows all sorts of different abilities, but there are only a handful of them in the entire game. I spend the whole game collecting everything possible and was only able to buy a few tweaks. There are many more items to build tweaks, and puzzles surrounding those items, then actual tweaks to build. When I realized this, I was not happy to say the least and it really feels like a completely wasted opportunity.

All abilities usually involve your wrench or a few other weapons. Eventually you kind of start looking for more movement options or weapon powerups. Move movement options never come like they do in Metroid and Castlevania games, but instead a few weapon mods come and most do very little besides one in particular that is received near the end of the long, meaningless dialog fest. There are one or two little mini-games that are included. One in particular involving boxes was pretty fun and definitely should have been expanded on more later, but nope. Two minutes and it's never to be seen again. Combat outside of bosses is tragic, kind of like Super Metroid, until you reach actual Metroids. Enemies typically just **** there and do nothing or move very slowly. A few shoot projectiles or get aggressive towards the very end game, but are never close to being a threat even on the hardest difficulty. Platforming is sometimes a bit addicting, but not fun, as there is nary a challenge to be had in the jumping around. Don't expect any crazy moving platforms like Mario, or difficult jumps at all. The primary gameplay involves dropping bombs to open doors or finding a way to go up or down. Most puzzles feel exactly the same as the last, so the game gets boring very quickly. I was excited to see how the puzzles would progress as I got new abilities, but it seems the the developer lacked creativity or time to execute.

Lumping in controls here, they are solid and there are no bugs, but a few minor frustrations with how you move in the are or when shooting. You can run and shoot, but not use your wrench for some reason. Another character cannot run and attack at all. The game is not buggy in my experience, so another plus I suppose.

Overall: 4.25

Iconoclasts can be fun sometimes, but overall is a missed opportunity. Compared to another similar,solo developed game, Axiom Verge, this is very underwhelming. Don't believe the hype.
  7. Feb 13, 2018
    Pros:
    -Great boss fights
    -Interesting story and world -Beautiful pixel art -Good characters OKS: -Environmental puzzles -Pretty much all combat that isn't a boss fight CONS -Writing can be bad at times. Apparently the writer isn't a native English speaker and it shows. Some would be heavy moments fall flat because of it. -Environmental puzzles really aren't my thing. Even
    Pros:
    -Great boss fights
    -Interesting story and world
    -Beautiful pixel art
    -Good characters

OKS:
    -Environmental puzzles
    -Pretty much all combat that isn't a boss fight

CONS
    -Environmental puzzles really aren't my thing. Even though it's not a fault of the game in my subjective opinion it kinda brought it down.
  8. Feb 13, 2018
    This title has me conflicted. I really wanted to love it, especially after all the glowing praise it's received. It has beautifully rendered graphics, cool character designs, tight controls (for the most part) as well as some genuinely fun moments. It also has a lot of issues that prevent it from greatness. The boss fights, puzzles and level designs throughout the game vary fromThis title has me conflicted. I really wanted to love it, especially after all the glowing praise it's received. It has beautifully rendered graphics, cool character designs, tight controls (for the most part) as well as some genuinely fun moments. It also has a lot of issues that prevent it from greatness. The boss fights, puzzles and level designs throughout the game vary from extremely satisfying to gimmicky tedium. The game also has a hard time intuitively communicating what it wants you to be doing throughout it's duration. This leads to a lot of aimless running around and trial and error. The dialogue and storytelling also came across as trite and clunky, making conversations a chore to get through. One character specifically, feels like a philosophy major's self insert who is more interested in waxing poetic than advancing the plot. The music is average to good but serviceable I guess. I hate to be harsh and I can definitely applaud the developer's ambition, it just doesn't hit all of the marks. I do still believe it is worth a play considering the low cost and time investment (around 10-16 hrs), your mileage may vary, however. Expand
  9. Jan 28, 2018
    The game is fantastic at the first hours and gets slightly worst every passing moment. The game iitself is good but what it tries to do is too confusing and basic, the history has many flaws and could be reviewed for a better storytelling, this is not a metroidvania because it only touches itself at the concept, the gameplay has way too much flaws once you get deep into it.

I would play

I would play the game again for the art itself, it's enough to make the game positive in my opinion and the developer should be proud of what the game looks.
  10. Feb 4, 2018
    The game has some things that are great. The character and npc designs, the animations, the sense of humor, the tight controls... But others just feel lackluster, like the map design, the puzzles, the low difficulty, the music and sound effects. The game felto also somehow short, and it left me the feeling that the side characters have not been used good enough.
    But more than
    But more than anything else, I think it was the aweful level design what really let me down...
  11. Nov 30, 2018
    A neat gameplay and likable booses. Its history is intriguing and stimulating. Characters are endearing. A platform game like no more.
  12. Aug 28, 2018
    Action feels tight, but the game is very mediocre as a whole. I think this has to be one of the most uninspired metrovania games out there. At times, it is border-line annoying. Bosses are so often, that it is almost like a boss-frenzy game. The story consist of long non-nonsensical and boring dialog. It seems fine at the beginning but quickly becomes a mess you don't want to deal with.Action feels tight, but the game is very mediocre as a whole. I think this has to be one of the most uninspired metrovania games out there. At times, it is border-line annoying. Bosses are so often, that it is almost like a boss-frenzy game. The story consist of long non-nonsensical and boring dialog. It seems fine at the beginning but quickly becomes a mess you don't want to deal with. Whoever likes this game, they probably haven't played super metroid and don't have proper basis for comparison. I good metrovania game consist of: good atmosphere, epic environments, fun action mechanics, the sense of discovery, tight story. Non of that here. Expand
  13. May 14, 2018
    Pros:
    +Great boss design, no two bosses feel the same and they are all high quality.
    +The art looks amazing. +The difficult puzzles aren't needed to progress but are all tied to collectibles which aren't needed to progress so you can choose to 100% the game if you like the extra difficulty or try for a straight completion if you just want to enjoy the game as is. Cons: -The
    Pros:
    +Great boss design, no two bosses feel the same and they are all high quality.

+The art looks amazing.

Cons:
    -The objective hints can be obscure at times.

-picking blocks up requires you to stand on top of them which can be frustrating at times.

-sometimes it is hard to tell that you aren't doing a puzzle properly because it is hard to tell if a block won't fit through an area or you just keep missing it with your throws.

- certain time constraints on certain puzzles are really tight requiring pretty tight movement.
  14. Aug 15, 2019
    It was ok, but i wouldnt play it ever againt. its not wow! But as I said. its preaty ok :)
  15. Jun 12, 2019
    Tiene puntos buenos y puntos malo, lamentablemente el mayor peso recae en los malos ya que hicieron mi experiencia mucho menos disfrutable. La banda sonora y Pixel Art son sus puntos mas fuertes, por otro lado el gameplay y la historia dejan bastante que desear, esta ultima es confusa innecesariamente. Al final me encontré jugando un falso metroidvania lineal que se centra mayormente en puzzles.
  16. Jul 21, 2018
    i think this is a pretty good game, it's have it's flawns like being pretty linear and lack cluster plot, but overall the awesome boss fights, tight gameplay and pretty graphics keep it me playing this game.

when played the first 8-9 hours of the game i was extremely hooked , and i would give it a 10, but after that the game start doing a lot of exposition dumps. despise that i still

despise that i still think this game is a must have
  17. Dec 22, 2019
    A Great game with characters strongly developped, with great animations, music, gameplay and bosses ! A Lore and a universe that is refreshing and touched my heart deeply ! And, juste one men make this game omg great job to Joakim Sandberg for having working 7 years on it, it worth it !
  18. Oct 5, 2018
    Iconoclasts é um jogo que, tendo seu enredo como foco, trata de assuntos como fé, opressão, exploração de outros povos e preconceito. Além disso, ainda triunfa nos aspectos técnicos, a despeito de algumas escolhas duvidosas de design. Joakim Sandberg está de parabéns por, sozinho, conseguir criar um dos melhores jogos do ano.
  19. Aug 3, 2019
    Este jogo é simplesmente LINDO. Tudo nele me fez ficar apaixonado por este universo maravilhoso.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. PC PowerPlay
    Apr 5, 2018
    A retro game that delivers more wonderful gameplay than nostalgia. [Issue#270, p.58]
  2. Mar 29, 2018
    Don't let first impressions fool you. Beneath the bright colours and initially sunny disposition of Iconoclasts lies a game that is going to challenge you in a variety of ways. It will force the best from your quick-twitch-skills, with fast-paced and frenetic combat. This is an experience that cannot be missed by fans of both 2D action platformers, or by those seeking a greater level of mental and ideological engagement.
  3. Feb 26, 2018
    Multi-faceted 2D pixel platformer that balances its confusing narrative with great level design, tricky puzzles & neat action.