6.0

1. Oct 27, 2014
    I've been an early access member of the IL2:BoS flight sim since the beginning. I wholeheartedly jumped in based upon my previous experience with 777 Studios' Rise of Flight game. It was a product I greatly enjoyed and despite some short falls they weren't anything that affected my enjoyment of the game. Eventually a decent campaign system was released and I was a relatively happy camper.I've been an early access member of the IL2:BoS flight sim since the beginning. I wholeheartedly jumped in based upon my previous experience with 777 Studios' Rise of Flight game. It was a product I greatly enjoyed and despite some short falls they weren't anything that affected my enjoyment of the game. Eventually a decent campaign system was released and I was a relatively happy camper. So when 777 Studios was tasked with creating the next iteration of the venerable IL2 I was confident I'd get a quality product that would provide years of entertainment.

Where do I begin with this game? Well the obvious is the graphics. It's the first thing you notice and for the most part they look satisfactory to very good. I'm not fond of the cockpits but find that the atmosphere effects and ground details are pretty nice.

Flight models? They are very functional and remove my disbelief enough so that I CAN imagine I'm flying a LaGG 3 on the western front. Most of the sounds are excellent, but as has been noted on several posts, the hit sounds of bullets striking your craft are inconsistent. Plane engines all sound realistic. Subtle things like the sounds of brake pistons and canopy hatches add to the realism.

AI is a mixed bag. I don't consider my talent to be expert flyer/marksmen so I do get a challenge from the fighters, but not so much the bombers. Take it for what you will. AI is subjective and one man's hard may be another's easy.

Where I fault the game (and it is a big fault because I'm a single player) is the campaign. I feel the game is Head and Shoulders above others because the it feels like the campaign has me applying, lathering, rinsing, and repeating over and over again. The campaign generator is just that, but instead of in-depth, living, breathing missions I get quick missions with three access points and minimal enemy interaction. The runways are thread bare and lifeless. I lead a flight of four and intercept two 111s and maybe one or two 109. Go home, land, and do it all over again.

I can live with the unlocks, though I hope they don't continue this trend on further releases.

There have been numerous ideas on the IL2:BoS forum where improvements can be made and I hope 1C/777 look into them.

There is no mission editor yet and I hope that when it's released the community will get the plethora of user made campaigns we enjoyed in the original IL2. We'll see. Originally 777 wasn't going to release it at all but after community uproar they changed their mind. We'll see.

My personal and final grade would be a 6. The campaign really does affect my desire to play and as it is I only fire up IL2:BoS a few times a week. I longingly look at my Track IR and CH Products HOTAS and just say, "Naw. I'm not interested." So much is good to very good, and my SIX is a subjective grade, so I rate it based on my likes and how they affect my desire to play.

My NUMBERED Metacritic grade is 7. I'd like to see if 777 takes the opinions and desires of the community and improves on the good solid base of this game to the status of the original IL2.
  2. Oct 23, 2014
    Everythings there for this title to be a future classic. The externals are very very well done, the landscape and general scenary are what you`d expect of a snow covered Stalingrad area. The little extras like the cylinder firing flashes etc etc are all very well done.

The cockpits imo are not that great, definitley not as good as CloD or DCS and that`s a shame, they are dull bland and lifeless almost as if someone has thrown a veil over them, possibly the SSAO but without full access to all the graphics options you are left with how they think you should see the game whereas a lot of us want to be able to tweak as we like, bad decision number 1 that one.

I can`t comment of the FM or DM as I don`t spend hours analysing such stuff on the internet, the planes feel as though you`re flying them which is good enough for me. Again though the community threw a lot of info into the ring and were met with a less than welcoming response. They sent a project manager with poor English and a sarcastic bias to answer questions and then post responses usually comically negative to claims that were made. When you refuse to listen to someone who has flown all the recently built Yak 3 and 9`s you have serious self importance issues.

The decision to force everyone to play the Sigle Player Campaign which is nothing more than some QMB style missions arranged into a campaign with childish Experience Points and Weapons unlocks is baffling to even the most ardent fan.

For 80 weeks we were predominantly onboard with the direction BoS was taking, then the unlocks and XP bomb was dropped and hell broke loose on the forums, threats, forum tantrums between major devs and punters, threads locked , posts deleted, all left a bad taste in the mouth. The general feeling for myself is that they want control over everything and the paying customers opinion matters not if it doesn`t fall into line with their philosophy. 80 good PR weeks tainted by 3 spectacularly bad ones.

Despite 90+ % expressing a less than favourable response to the unlocks poll, they still implemented it!!!! approx 1000 total voters over all btw. That says a lot to me, a real **** you attitude regards players wishes cannot be good for relations, the poll was a sham btw, never had a hope of anything being done.

Anyway I personally won`t let three bad weeks ruin my enjoyment, it`s a good quality product that will only get better if the Devs wake up and realise a lot of us have been playing these games for years , we know what we want, we know what we like and some even know what they`re talking about. Get rid of the unlock farce, give us FMB and DS and the majority will be back fully behind you.

Anyone voting less than 4 probably has issues beyond the game imo.
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    This is not a SIM! I'ts an aircraft "game", as said by the developers themselves. So just that you know what you get here. I will review this sim from a simmers perspective flying IL2: CloD and DCS, who wants "more" depth in a Sim, not less. IL2 1946 players though will feel right at home here.

+ Very nice graphics, all optimized to create a huge feeling of immersion of winter in Stalingrad 1942
    + Stable release, most bugs worked out
    + very nice aircraft models, just a bit too reflective skins

+/- solid, but not exceptional FM, gives the feeling of flying a much lighter plane then what a WW2 warbird (loaded 3-7 tons, depending on the ftype of fighter plane) actually was, has some quirks still to be worked out (landing bounce, low speed stall characteristics, roll rates of several aircraft, max speed in all aircraft etc.) Feels more like flying an ultralight, but is still a lot better then War Thunder.

- no campaign deserving that name
    - unlock system/level system, giving the impression of an arcade game
    - simplified damage model/Hollywood feel -> quick successes
    - simplified CEM (same level as old IL2)
    - no mission builder (yet)
    - no user made skins (yet)

So far, a 6 with a tendency to 7, though with lots of potential for better ratings. Will check the game again in a year and see what changed. As that, I can recommend this sim for beginners, or people coming over from War Thunder seeking more of a challenge and immersive expirience. It's solid in it's core, needs some optimisation. But in it's complexity a step back from IL2 CloD and a huge step away from DCS. I'd personally call it a transition sim on the way to more challenges.
  4. Nov 1, 2014
    This game is an Arcade with a dash of simulation. The unlocks IMO are a joke and a ploy to target a certain audience. I think this game could have been better and its a shame it has the IL2 stamp on it.
  5. Nov 16, 2014
    BoS may be a good flight sim in the core but the behavior and outright contempt for their core players, who has been around for years enjoying the true IL2 Sturmovik series takes away any good that can be found, with a bit of searching mind you, from the game.

Wont repeat the negatives as you only have to read all the other scores that are not 8-10.
  6. Oct 30, 2014
    Single Player is pretty bad. Bought and backed this primarily for the single player, did not turn out as expected and the end development was rushed to get it out. The company who made this was 1C, same company who abandoned Cliffs of Dover. They will tell you it was a different set of people but it's the same company, the same drama, and the same results. Official forums are NaziSingle Player is pretty bad. Bought and backed this primarily for the single player, did not turn out as expected and the end development was rushed to get it out. The company who made this was 1C, same company who abandoned Cliffs of Dover. They will tell you it was a different set of people but it's the same company, the same drama, and the same results. Official forums are Nazi style moderation and anyone who has anything negative to say is moderated and removed.

While the graphics are decent, the flight model and damage model are not up to par. Additionally the single player campaign is tedious and boring. Whoever decided to charge 80 dollars for a game then make you unlock everything is out of their minds. Buy Cliff of Dover with the Team Fusion Mod, it's a better game at a much cheaper price.

Due to the single player experience this game fails at what it tried to set out to do.
  7. Oct 27, 2014
    Okay, this is my second review for IL2 Battle of Stalingrad. My first review, along with ever other review of BOS 90% complete was deleted at 1C/777 insistence. It seems the devs didn't like the backlash of negative reviews after some of the final rounds of updates. So, here we go again.
    1. Game Engine = 7 Bos works right out of the box. The updating system works well and is easy. The true strength has not been thoroughly tested in the consumer market because the D Server has just been released, so this remains to be seen. How many player and AI planes and objects that can be used in a functional mission is not known yet. Once FME is released, which may be up to 6 months from now per 1C/777, the strength of the DNE good or bad will be displayed.
    2. Graphics and Sound = 6 The games looks nice and gives pretty good frame rates(40 FPS for me on Ultra). There is nothing new here graphically(dx9c) except that BOS uses a full snow map with vary little on it in the way of objects, which is probably correct for Stalingrad during WWII.Graphics are set through 1C/777 designated presets, no custom graphics settings. Low, Balanced, High, and Ultra are the presets. Antialaising and Gama-correction are available. The sound in BOS is good with the usual setting of low, medium and high bit rate.
    3. Plane models = 7 They are nice but they do not compare to either DCS or CLOD plane models. The damage modeling again is nice, but does not compare with either of the above mentioned Sims. As of now only 1C/777 can add skins to BOS. There are 10 skins per plane that have to be unlocked through SP missions.(more on this later). No Nose art.
    4. Flight Model = 6 BOS gives a good feeling of flying but it still feels something like flying the ROF FMs. a very lite feeling. It is not a convincing metal plane heavyweight feel. It is very bouncy unless you set deep curves in the control settings. Landings are quite bad. BOS is way to bouncy on each plane, this really needs attention IMHO.
    5..Map = 5 Here again it looks nice. It has very little in the way of trees(trees do have collision model, a +)or other objects. Stalingrad itself is modeled and looks average at best. The sky and depiction of the 24 hour lighting(Sun) cycle are absolutely excellent, one of the best in any Sim yet. The weather effects are standard.
    6.Gui = 4 The Gui looks very "Arcade" and plain. There is no theme once you are in the SP, MP , QMB or Campaign selection screens. The Campaign has a tiny theme in the Campaign selection screens, and video intros for each stage of the Campaign. These videos are CG graphics and while good graphic quality is there, they are quite unrealistic and plastic feeling. In game videos would have been much better.
    7. SP, QMB and Campaign. = 2 There are 14 SP missions, they are fair at best. QMB is straight forward and a good place to practice, but no meat as far as building immersive missions. The Campaign is awful, that is the only true way to describe it. Non Historical Squads at non Historical Airfields, cannot custom name your pilot, there is no storyline and the missions are non connected and generated by the QMB. The way points are Home Field, Action point and Exit points(completely arcade). All planes come with basic weapons for SP and MP. During the Campaign you accumulate Xpoints by flying missions, Intercept, Escort, Ground attack, Ground Support and Bombing. These missions either consist of takeoff start or air start and fly to action point and fight enemy there. You may encounter some miscellaneous flights to fight, but that is rare. It is estimated to take about 60-80 hours of flying in Campaign mode to unlock all plane upgrades(see BOS Forums). THIS IS REQUIRED IF YOU WANT TO USE PLANE UPGRADES IN MP. This Single player and Campaign mode is very "Arcade" and does not even measure up to the original IL2 Single player and Campaign immersion or challenge. IMHO, this is the worst Campaign in a Flight Sim I have ever played.
    8. Replay Ability = 2 Other than MP, BOS has no replay ability as of now. Of course if and when user content can be added to BOS this could change. The Campaign mode is just plain boring and is best flown in very small doses.
    Conclusion: Score = 4(at best) THIS IS NOT THE IL2 SUCCESSOR THAT THE DEVS PROMISED, NOT EVEN CLOSE. The cover art for BOSs DVD box says," IL2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad, The Legend Returns." IMHO, The Legend is not back. A quote from one of Lofts' initial interviews during the beginning of pre-purchase but before production of BOS had begun,"And to the experienced avia-sim players I want to say: “Don’t worry! We know how to make our sim the way you’ll like it." I have owned and flown every IL2 iteration from the first IL2 to BOS, and I can comfortably say 1C/777 have not lived up to there word. I supported BOS from a before production start EA purchase and 1C/777 had a pretty good game going until 3 weeks ago when they locked everything down. This is an Arcade game.
  8. Oct 23, 2014
    Been playing simulators since "Jet" on the Atari 400, RoF fanatic (with all planes owned)...so I was really looking forward to the devs getting a hold of this franchise and hopefully moving this long-troubled franchise in the right direction. Such is not the case, I fear. Game feels half-assed, hampered with deeply questionable design choices, an intrusive and inelegant interface, datedBeen playing simulators since "Jet" on the Atari 400, RoF fanatic (with all planes owned)...so I was really looking forward to the devs getting a hold of this franchise and hopefully moving this long-troubled franchise in the right direction. Such is not the case, I fear. Game feels half-assed, hampered with deeply questionable design choices, an intrusive and inelegant interface, dated graphics and an uninspiring campaign system.

The flight-models are good...but that's about it. Doesn't merit the price tag and ultimately feels like a huge step backwards for both the dev and the IL-2 franchise.
  9. Oct 28, 2014
    Synopsis: a mediocre game based on an old but solid engine (RoF), dumbed down to dumb for the masses.

BoS is a bit muddled and feels as though it has suffered from a development tug of war between making a simple blaster to appeal to the masses, or a flight simulator for the smaller core audience. As it stands it on release, BoS does neither element well and unfortunately falls foul to mediocrity. It doesn’t help that it is based on an old direct x9 game engine that is already showing its age (RoF engine).

The IL-2 brand name, the developers previous RoF tittle and PR suggest a good solid ww2 flight simulator but simple engine start-ups and management, unlocks and experience points for munitions and skins, the ‘Michael Bay Hollywood’ damage model and air-quake style servers limited to 32 players smacks more of a simple but flashy arcade game. Single player content is poor and revolves around getting the aforementioned experience points needed in both single and multiplayer and what’s worse is there is no public mission editor for players to make new content. Worse still, the developers have attempted to hold players to ransom, no mission editor in the future for groups that critique and even a now deleted threat that the game would be cancelled if negative critical scores prevailed hence the many 9 and 10 scores here.

There are some positives, the graphics aren’t at all bad and the general feeling of flight is rendered ok (despite some colourful bugs), however there just isn’t enough to this title to make it stand-out against the competition never mind justify the price tag for an ageing game engine. Simply put War Thunder does the arcade thing better and Cliffs of Dover and DCS are more detailed simulators - BoS feels lost in the wilderness.

I bought in as a “Founder” to support BoS and I wanted to like this game. BoS is not terrible but it doesn’t do anything particularly well either and taking into account the contempt the developers have shown for much of their fanbase I give this a 3/10.
  10. Oct 27, 2014
    I backed this "game" during early access expecting it to be a sim. It is aimed at the WT crowd but offers them nothing to switch because WT is free and has more content. It was touted as the next step in the IL2 series fro the hardcore sim crowd but it comes nowhere close to delivering on that claim.

Pros Nice graphics Nice sound Cons 1. OKish FM as long as you fly nice and

Pros
    Nice graphics
    Nice sound

Cons
    1. OKish FM as long as you fly nice and gentle but the problem is this is a combat sim and the FM during combat maneuvers is pure FACEPALM.
    2. DM is a bit hit or miss (pardon the pun) and seems to be based on how many times you are hit rather than where you are hit. Almost every hit causes fluid leaks.
    3. SP campaign is utterly atrocious and has no redeeming features.
    4. Barren empty world if you stray outside the narrow mission area.
    No feeling of belonging to a squadron or even a side. You can actually change sides from German to Russian between mission.
    5. You need to grind to unlock weapons that were standard issue.
    6. You need to grind to unlock standard paint schemes.
    7. MP only player need to grind through the horrible campaign.

No more than a 3 out of 10 from me. This game has just been officially released and I cannot bring myself to play it. There is not one single compelling thing this game offers to make me play.

Avoid if you are a hardcore simmer, avoid if you are a WT fan.
  11. Dec 3, 2014
    Soviet biased FMs, broken German plane FMs, a laughably shallow DM, an arcade campaign that requires the player to unlock components he's already paid for, no mission editor, hit-sounds that still don't work, inability to tune graphics to best suit ones personal computer hardware and nobody playing online. This arcade game is a travesty and a cynical betrayal of the revered IL2 name itSoviet biased FMs, broken German plane FMs, a laughably shallow DM, an arcade campaign that requires the player to unlock components he's already paid for, no mission editor, hit-sounds that still don't work, inability to tune graphics to best suit ones personal computer hardware and nobody playing online. This arcade game is a travesty and a cynical betrayal of the revered IL2 name it stole to try and con sales. Avoid it. Expand
  12. Dec 6, 2014
    In early access I was super stoked, but then it was released and the devs showed the utter contempt they have for us, the end user.
    This game, and I do mean game as it is not a simulator of the same level as CoD, was released with awful options that force boring game play with a crap campaign that is not historical in any way, more a series of unrelated single missions.
    Further you must
    Further you must play through this abortion in order to unlock equipment and even skins for the aircraft. None of which are available for single or multiplayer use until you have ground them all out in the previously mentioned terrible campaign that is included in the release.
    And whats more it is impossible to tailor this game to your system. Your options are low, balanced, high and ultra. That is it. Apparently Loft has it in his head that we as a community are too stupid to use this software properly.
    In summation, here is an excerpt from one of my posts at BoS forums:

"I can't select the best graphics settings for my rig.
    I cannot play a coherent unit based historical campaign.
    I cannot create a coherent unit based historical campaign.
    I cannot play the coherent unit based campaigns created by others.
    I am forced to play a garbage campaign in order to unlock common front line mission essential equipment and skins.
    When a work around is found to the above by running at x16 speed the devs punish us by limiting it to x2.
    I cannot create skins (to my knowledge anyhow, might be wrong).
    I dislike online play.

So what, exactly, is there left for me to do with this 100 usd boondoggle?"

I should have used the $100 somewhere else.
  13. Nov 22, 2014
    Good graphics is about all this has going for it. Rubbish offline campaign, xp points, grinding for unlocks, online is dead, devs treating the fanbase with contempt and threatening to close the game unless things improve.
    Not worth the $60/$90 they are asking, when war thunder is free and with a lot more content.
  14. Dec 10, 2014
    Genuinely poor effort. Really bad design decisions and intransigent and combative devs.

Money down the drain. Wish I could get my money back but not going to happen.
  15. Dec 6, 2014
    I have been playing combat flight sims for many years, started with the original Red Baron for DOS. I owned the original IL2, along with all it's expansions up to Il2 1946, along with many other WWII combat sims. The IL2 series remained my favorite.

I purchased the Early Access Premium version of BOS when it became available, and participated all throughout the Early Access period. While I had some smaller concerns, I really liked what I saw, and had very high hopes for this sim. I was and am a fan of ROF, and with BOS being developed by the same guys, I was very excited. Until they released the Single Player system upon us, shortly before the official release. Last time I played it , was the day after the SP was released to us.

The XP grinding, unlocking items, unlocking airfields, no continuity of a player's career, only what appear to be some QMG missions thrown together, just does not do anything for me - in fact, turns me off to the sim completely. Throw in the graphics presets only in the options - 4 presets one has to choose, with no ability to customize any individual items like bloom, hdr, shadows, terrain, etc. Plus no ability to customize globally difficulty settings for the SP campaign. Want to fly with unlimited ammo while you are cutting your teeth on the sim? Not going to happen.

If one likes power ups, unlocking items ( that you have already paid for), etc - then you will likely like this sim. If you are more used to what you got with previous WWII combat flight sims in terms of campaigns, careers, then you may well be disappointed like myself. Especially if you are coming from the IL-2 Series itself. I myself just can not see this sim as they have billed it " The continuation of the legendary IL-2 Series".

I am giving BOS a score of 3 here. I feel that is generous on my part, it does have nice graphics and for the most part the flight physics seem really good, but what pulls that score down from me is - I no longer play it, and have no desire to play it in it's current state. I will keep an eye on it going forward and see if maybe something changes that might lure me back to it.
  16. Oct 22, 2014
    A good core is hampered by poor design choices in IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad. As I play the game, more and more it feels like a shinier version of Wings of Prey or Birds of Steel for the xbox 360.

Yes, this game has one of the best physics engines in flight simulator history. All the aircraft have their own unique "feeling" that make learning each one's nuances very satisfying and fun. The Engine-related systems are all modeled as you would expect in a simulator like this, although the lack of clickable cockpits is very disappointing.

The graphics are very good in this game, with reflections on the planes/glass, realistic smoke and fire, excellent lighting effects, and clouds that look almost real. The sound engine is a work of beauty as well, when it works properly.

Unfortunately, there are some big problems with this game. First, and most obvious is the lack of any type of campaign or career mode. The built in "campaign" is only there to serve as a mission generator for the main focus of this game: Unlocking equipment for your planes by earning experience points in the campaign. The missions in the campaign are what can only be referred to as boring. Autopilot is disabled and time compression is limited, so there will be significant stretches of time where you sit idly and do nothing. Doing nothing is not fun.

The unlock system and the random mission generator would be interesting components if they were not so tied together with the profile system. Instead of medals, there are achievements, of which there are many to earn and some that are pretty challenging. Unfortunately your pilot profile also is tied to the unlocks system, so even for multiplayer and quick missions, you will have to play the campaign to unlock equipment.

The multiplayer component runs well and has a very simple server browser that anyone can use. When there are people playing, multiplayer is very fun in this game, however the plane set for this game has shown to be chosen very poorly.

First, the German fighters are the best planes by a wide margin. Superior to Russian planes in most performance measure with the exception of turn radius vs the Yak, these planes have next to ruined the online atmosphere. Russian pilots are outnumbered 2 to 1 by better aircraft nearly every single game. That is not an exaggeration. While this situation is easily overcome by an experienced pilot, for new players this is extremely off-putting and for early access players like me has become a very frustrating feature of this game.

Also in the multiplayer you will notice that more often than not, you will not hear when your plane gets shot. This is a bug in the sound engine that causes your plane to outrun the sounds of it being damaged, essentially.

Avoid this game if you do not like to grind for exp, and also avoid it if you are looking for a deep, involved single-player campaign: there is not one here. As there is no way to get out of grinding for unlockable airplane components, the game's experience will be severely hampered even if you are a MP exclusive pilot.

On the other side, if you can stand to play the same missions over and over again so you can unlock the rear turrent on your IL-2, then buy this game. If you want to fly one of the most graphically and technically impressive flight sims of all time, and can stand to play or ignore the horrible unlock system, then get this game.

Pros: Excellent graphics, Excellent Sound (mostly), Excellent physics, Excellent Server Browser for MP
    Cons: Terrible forced grind, shallow and boring campaign, no career mode, no advanced graphics options

One more thing: There is a screenshot and movie recording functions built into this game that are very easy to use and work very well.
  17. Oct 27, 2014
    I have played flight games and sims since falcon 3.0. I like many others backed Il2 BOS because of 777 studios great work with Rise of Flight. I thought it would be a reskinned ROF set in WW2. I would expect movement forward, new ideas, and new improvements to what Il2 1946, and ROF offered.

Instead it is a step backwards. Instead of focusing of making a complete study sim, they focused on game elements, unlocks tied to a quick mission style campaign. You are part of no squadron, and can pick and choose randomly what you fly. It really is a quick mission generator with a skin trying to give you the impression of a campaign. Calling it that almost feels generous.

The camera effects are great, head movement from G forces and maneuvering are great. Combat is over the top Hollywood. Everything burns instantly. There is no such thing as a self sealing fuel tank in BOS. Planes go down very fast, AI seems about as good as ROF. Feeling of flight is not on par with Cliffs of dover or DCS. In fact the feeling of flight is the #1 issue with the game for me. It feels wrong, but the camera masks it well. Sound is good, graphics are alright, good lighting, and textures which seem 4 years old.

It could be a good game for a fast 10 min quick mission, but the feeling of flight, unlocks, and mediocre cockpits keep me away. Whats left with the price of extra aircraft doesn't the ability to stand on it's own. Modders have made Cliffs of dover superior in every way....and they don't get paid.
  18. Nov 22, 2014
    Until the developers listen to their core community, this title is not going to the be successor of IL2. It really is a shame. If they wanted to blow the doors off of the sim genre, they should have taken all the things everyone loves about IL2 and CLoD with the TF mods and implemented them into this title. I understand change is hard for some people and the ones frustrated with this titleUntil the developers listen to their core community, this title is not going to the be successor of IL2. It really is a shame. If they wanted to blow the doors off of the sim genre, they should have taken all the things everyone loves about IL2 and CLoD with the TF mods and implemented them into this title. I understand change is hard for some people and the ones frustrated with this title might seem that way, but it really is just a case of bad implementation of non sim ideas into a "sim" game.

Instead of trying to draw in the WT crowd or think they know how to draw in the younger gamers, could you imagine if they put that time into building an out of this world immersive SP campaign?

I play lots of games, from the late Darkfall Online to the FPS Insurgency to titles on the WII U to RO. The bottom line is GAMEPLAY will always win. If you don't have solid gameplay and depth to your game it will fail.
  19. Oct 27, 2014
    I've bought or played every IL-2 product ever produced, but this is the first time I can't bring myself to recommend one. At every step in the evolution of the IL-2 franchise there has been a sense of ambition, of a desire to make the "next big thing" in flight simulation, the original (even on release) blew the competition out of the water in terms of fidelity and capability, Birds/WingsI've bought or played every IL-2 product ever produced, but this is the first time I can't bring myself to recommend one. At every step in the evolution of the IL-2 franchise there has been a sense of ambition, of a desire to make the "next big thing" in flight simulation, the original (even on release) blew the competition out of the water in terms of fidelity and capability, Birds/Wings of Prey were good simcade games, Il-2: CLoD aimed to be more realistic, more in depth and more beautiful than everything that had come before. CLoD was let down by shoddy project management and a restless publisher and it took a while for Team Fusions to rescue it, but at least there was the ambition to be the final word in WW2 flight sims.

BoS, whilst pretty, seems to have lost that ambition. The fidelity level is somewhere between CLoD and War Thunder, the single player is lacklustre and arcade inspired (even the original Il-2 linear story driven campaign would be preferable), the community is in an unhealthy state and the developers seem to be aiming for the mid-core War Thunder Air Quake crowd.

This is not what I (and many people) hoped for in an Il-2 successor, and that makes me sad. :-(
  20. Dec 5, 2014
    Terrible for a sim, ok for a game. Trouble is it was sold as a sim, with the developers only dropping the unlock and xp bombshell just before the release.
    No point in complaining on the forum, or asking for a refund, because its ban city over there. Now we wait to see if the lead developer follows thru with his threat to cancel the game later this month...
  21. Oct 24, 2014
    Really has a great core to it and should honestly be rated higher, game looks amazing, although you may go snowblind, pretty good DM, FM's seem fine to me. But the problem as probably noted in plenty of other reviews is some poor decisions regarding SP and unlocks. Unlocks can only be done in the SP campaign. So if you want those field modifications you are going to have to spend aReally has a great core to it and should honestly be rated higher, game looks amazing, although you may go snowblind, pretty good DM, FM's seem fine to me. But the problem as probably noted in plenty of other reviews is some poor decisions regarding SP and unlocks. Unlocks can only be done in the SP campaign. So if you want those field modifications you are going to have to spend a considerable amount of time in the campaign.

As for the campaign, you have choices based on what aircraft you choose, between things like ground attack, intercept and escort etc. The missions are then randomly generated and difficulty of said missions will vary and increase based on your "pilot level".

The missions aren't exactly the worst thing in the world, but I wouldn't exactly call them enjoyable either. It's a decision to have them work this way that has angered a lot of MP focused folks, essentially being forced to play SP. For the SP oriented folks it seems to miss the mark as there is nothing exactly imersive about it. No real coherent story to it, just a collection of randomly generated missions.

There really is a lot of good stuff in the game, but the decision of unlocks tied to a SP randomly generated mission campaign really drags it down, this game should be an 8 or 9, but instead gets drug down by the stinker or an idea that in their unlocks system. I gave it a 7 because while that unlock business is indeed silly, it still does a lot of things really well, that and I can't give it a 7.5 :)
  22. Oct 26, 2014
    I can't recommend buying this when its been confirmed a much cheaper (€10) version is about to be launched. They locked a thread about it on the official forums because so many customers who bought this game for $60 and $90 were rightfully unhappy.

On YouTube there is a video of a 109 flying like an RC plane doing impossible moves and you can do endless loops in a he111 - so it's hard to believe the 9 and 10 scores here. The developers have forced their idea of how to play this game on customers, you can't select your own graphics options just presets like an XBOX game, you can't select them game options you want just two presets easy and expert and you have to play single player to unlock 'powerups' for multiplayer.
  23. x15
    Oct 31, 2014
    This is a far cry from the il2 series. They only milked the that name to mislead people about what this game is.
    They had available to them two flight sim engines with almost everything done. They chose to go with the most limited six years old engine.
    That's fine, as long you at least get what was already available in the engine. But looks instead of developing the Rise of flight engine and add more features to it, they decided to chop off stuff as time went on. At this point Battle of Stalingrad is an extremely limited game, where players are forced to play a certain absurd way.
    Gone are the custom skins, gone is the mission, builder, gone is the ability to customize your graphics settings and they even removed the f11 free camera for some obscure reason.
    The career is boring to tears and the players have to focus on the unlocks instead of getting immersed in the action.
    The multiplayer also got a hard hit recently. The maximum number of players allowed in a server being reduced to 32.
    But the worst part about this game is the patronizing and borderline dictatorial attitude of the developers. From deleting thousands of posts on the forums, to locking game content paid at premium price in an absurd offline only unlock system, to threatening to shut down everything if users don't post stellar reviews.
    I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone.
  24. Oct 27, 2014
    I give BoS a 3, for the graphics (although the cockpits are nowhere near as good as Cliffs of Dover) and the fact that it works with only a few CTD's. It had a lot going for it, but seems to have fallen at the final hurdle with unlocks, XP points, and some questionable flight models.
    If you want a game, this is it, although it will cost you $50-$100. War Thunder, which it is similar to, is free.
    If you want a sim, Cliffs of Dover is where its at.
  25. Oct 30, 2014
    Early-access purchasers were promised a sim, what we have now is an arcade game with shallow DMs, soviet-biased FMs, broken MP and an SP campaign about as interesting as watching paint dry. And never mind "soviet-biased" FMs, the FM allows planes like the He111 to do infinite loops. In expert-mode! And then the unlocks. This is where you cannot use the content you PAID for until you'veEarly-access purchasers were promised a sim, what we have now is an arcade game with shallow DMs, soviet-biased FMs, broken MP and an SP campaign about as interesting as watching paint dry. And never mind "soviet-biased" FMs, the FM allows planes like the He111 to do infinite loops. In expert-mode! And then the unlocks. This is where you cannot use the content you PAID for until you've grinded your way through the dreadful SP 'campaign'. It's not a campaign, the campaign is nothing more than a QMB-generator, in which you're lucky to see more than a handful of planes and tanks to shoot at. That's because the Digital Nature engine cannot handle AI objects very well.
    Then we have the absence of the ability to set-up graphics settings. That's because BoS is basically a console-game dressed up for the PC. The lack of a mission-editor, even a basic one.
    This game brings nothing to the PC. It belongs on the consoles. Shallow arcade dreck and the worst betrayal of the IL2 name since 1C dumped Cliffs of Dover.
  26. Nov 16, 2014
    Take the positive scores, and throw them all away- the developers of this team are threatening to shut the entire project down with no refund to anyone if the score didn't improve. They have consistently made poor design choices from the "early access" consisting of afternoons in the middle of the week, to incorporating an unlock system a-la world of tanks that perpetually brokeTake the positive scores, and throw them all away- the developers of this team are threatening to shut the entire project down with no refund to anyone if the score didn't improve. They have consistently made poor design choices from the "early access" consisting of afternoons in the middle of the week, to incorporating an unlock system a-la world of tanks that perpetually broke multiplayer.

Everything they do, and everything they are, is a direct contradiction of what they promised to deliver. When called on it, they hold a gun to the sim that you paid money for's head, and tell you to write good reviews because they need "comrades, not customers".

We haven't even broached the technical aspects of the game yet. Massive biases to the Russian aircraft (in every aspect- flight stability, performance, firepower), coupled with bombers that can do infinite loops right from the runway, huge holes in the damage and flight modelling, ballistics, all contributing to a 180 degree turn from what the original was billed as.

This is not a flight sim, and you can barely call it a game. If, however, you still subscribe to the antiquated notion that games are supposed to be "fun", then you can't really call it that, either. It is by far the greatest insult ever levied against the flight sim market, and only made worse by its creators' treatment of the community. These people make Oleg Maddox look kind and flexible, and Putin benevolent.

I wish I had rolled up my money and smoked it rather than give even a stinky ruble to these...."gentlemen".

Good day.
  27. Oct 23, 2014
    The sim aspects of this product excell! The feeling of flight, the faithful recreation of the period Fighters and bombers is excellent, the FM/DM all top notch.

Where this GAME goes off the rails is its design decisions. A War Thunder-esque XP unlock system that, left in Single player would make sense (though its wrapped up in a sub-par campaign system). 1CGS has elected to force the sims content (weapons, mods, and paint jobs) to be unlocked before it can be used in Multi-player. Which seems completely backwards. It has dragged the MP community kicking and screaming into an environment they would rather not be in, and indeed many have just forgone the purchase of the sim/game to avoid the grind style of play of an MMO in a game that has admittedly rebuked (by the devs) that they are not an MMO. This design decision leaves a very schizophrenic taste in many a consumers mouths. Worst yet, is that up to this point they had all the ingriedients of a blockbuster return of the "legendary series", but muffed the ball on the 2 yard line. Leaving me no choice but to give it a disappointed 7 of 10, of what otherwise would have been a 9.
  28. Oct 23, 2014
    i think this game a huge back step from a simulator for example CloD. They want to meet both the casual and the pro pilots requirements. Everyone know its impossible to achieve. Some FM model awful, like 109s negative G. And a russians planes originally was much harder to keep on the air than this game.

Noting more just a fair Arcade game in this stage, but far from a sim. It has named sim just because you have a cockpit. Push the throttle then soot em' all thats of the content, the fan made mission better than the built-in. Available combat tactics so limited, litte mainstream and childish. Maybe the bombers has proper engine management (so-so).

First look the game eye-candy, but you have to have a high end comp to run it well when you facing the crowds. The devs have promised 100/server, now 75/server barely can maintain. And about the campaign. Random generated stuff without conception. Few chapter, but dont try to find logic in it.

I think they want to compete with War Thunder, but originally was IL-2 the game of sophisticated pilots not the casual ones.

Conclusion:
    1. Casual player wont buy it because the controlling devices.
    2. For a Hardcore players it a weak game.
  29. Oct 23, 2014
    So IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad has finally arrived, many people praising it's realistic feeling of flight, sadly none of them have ever experienced the real feeling, this game has some of the strangest flight modelling I ever experienced, damage modelling has some nice touches but is very simplistic visually, the game looks nice enough, the DX9 game engine hasn't done too bad but it is waySo IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad has finally arrived, many people praising it's realistic feeling of flight, sadly none of them have ever experienced the real feeling, this game has some of the strangest flight modelling I ever experienced, damage modelling has some nice touches but is very simplistic visually, the game looks nice enough, the DX9 game engine hasn't done too bad but it is way behind some of it's contemporaries, it is still a game with arcade style features despite a huge community protest, it is still missing many key components like a full mission builder and Oculus rift support. Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2014
    The last time reviews got posted here the devs asked fanboys to post good reviews. Ignore the fanboy 10 fest and read the comments about the poor flight models which you can find on Youtube. This is not IL-2 its a poor imitation.
  31. Oct 27, 2014
    This game is not worth to call it a simulation. The sovjet planes are so overmodelled, Stalin had won the war within days with just a few of them :-) Seriously, the German planes, which were famous for their topnotch engineering and quality fly like crap, whereas the sovjet planes fly like on rails. And all evidence brought to the developers during early access phase didn't better theThis game is not worth to call it a simulation. The sovjet planes are so overmodelled, Stalin had won the war within days with just a few of them :-) Seriously, the German planes, which were famous for their topnotch engineering and quality fly like crap, whereas the sovjet planes fly like on rails. And all evidence brought to the developers during early access phase didn't better the situation at all. Quite the contrary was the case. They demanded documents for each single bit the community claimed (although it is common knowledge), but never proved themselves with supporting documents for their phantasy flight models.

So if you want to have a gamey game, get it. But if you are looking for a proper flight simulation which reflects the true history, then you better wait for another try of a development studio. DCS has a big potential in terms of honest flight models, and has probably a better chance to be sincere and honest, because the development isn’t Russian…
  32. Oct 24, 2014
    I find it to be the best and more consistent WWII combat sim at present time.

Graphics are very nice, from the exterior 3D models to the cockpits. Lighting and atmospheric effects are amazing. It also runs very well on my 5+ years old machine. I only experience a problem with clouds, as some other people do. Quite annoying ATM but I'm confident we'll see a fix for this. FM give a
    I find it to be the best and more consistent WWII combat sim at present time.

FM give a very good sense of flying and are quite demanding, I don't see how anyone could label them as arcade. Even if not every single switch and instrument can be activated in the cockpit, all systems are simulated and the most important ones are to be controlled by the pilot in flight and kept within the correct envelope.

Netcode is good, MP is still limited to a few servers, as the both the dserver software and the full mission builder haven't been officially released yet, but they will be released soon. Given the previous experience with ROF and the bigger WWII community I'm pretty confident that MP will be allow for a great experience, whether you a re into pure dogfight or more into complex historical scenarios.

SP is a bit lacking at the moment, the campaign is more like a glorified quick mission generator with not much historical immersion. Still missions are mostly pretty fun and filled with action. There's word that this mode will evolve in the future, I have no reasons so far to think it will not change.

As for unlocks I'm not a fan of them, but they're not a game breaker for me. It seems that the unlocking process is quite quick. Still I would prefer that at leat MP was free of unlocks.

All in all this a very convincing simulator with a clear aim at realism. There's room for criticism and for improvements, some things really need to be fixed, but it clearly doesn't deserve some of the amazingly bad reviews I see here. It might not be the absolute best in every aspect, but it does everything very good and in a convincing manner.
  33. Oct 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Excelent Game physics, very good models, FM is from mediocre to excellent, Cockpits are not in the same league as cod , but quite adequate, Personally I like the russian planes best.
    Damage model is adequate but wish for a little more complex one -1 . Singel player unlocks are to me not positive , and the single player campaign is a disappointment -1
    Some strange maneuvering can be provoked -1

I can recommend this simulator for all skill levels, it is great fun and the dedicated servers are filled with dedicated pilots
  34. Oct 24, 2014
    Well, well, well,
    Well, well, well,
    there we are the second time on Metacritics maybe time for a little history session before I explain my review and my score. Now, everything started in the Early Access when they released the Singleplayer campaign. It was told us to get a really great immersive campaign, with a pilot which joins different squadrons and we get told the Battle of Stalingrad. There will be unlocks and everything will be great... now then they released the campaign. In short, its not even a campaign. And so the uproar began, people were saying that this is not right and bad. And the first round on metacritics began with a bad scoring of the game from desatisfied customers. The reaction of the devs? They released a post, that if the "true fanboys" of this genre won't start a crusade against the negative votes they have to shut down that game in dezember. So essential, the Developers of the Game threatened the PLAYERS that they will shut down the game if they don't make positive votes - hence so many positives votes here. :)
    Anyway they fastly closed this here, and now after release the second Battle of Metacritics will beginn... And again the Holy Crusade of the Fanboys is marching....

Anyway, lets talk about the Game or Simulation or yeah what is it now?

First off, this is not a real simulation anymore. It feels like a War Thunder Simulation Battle but with a little bit more simulation. So for me its more or less a great flying game, but nothing more. But this was pretty much stated many times of the devs, that the Simulation-Crowd is not their core customer base they want to have. Funnily, this Simulation-Crowd is the one who mainly brought into the game, and gave them their Early Access Money.

What does the game good?
    - Well the graphics are okay, they are not top of the notch for 2014 and a PC game but they are not that bad either. Some textures are pretty low ress, the colour of everything is washed out and a little bit to much grey in my opinion. If you use SweetFX than you can make a pretty good looking game out of it, but the main problems with low res textures is still there. I mean come on, its 2014 we should expect a little bit more!

- The game is stable, so hence I don't give it a 0-2 because its stable. Thats great isn't it? It runs!

Anything more? Well, yeah it works but thats all nothing really outstanding, what overcomes any expectations If you buy a Flight game/simulation in 2014! THATS IT!

Now the negative Side:
    This will be a little bit more, and I only can state my point of view and what is not right with the game.

Flight Models:
    Well, here is a lot of work still to do. It doesn't feel like I'm flying fighter planes. Every plane is pretty tail heavy which is completly **** You can't even trim the 109 G2 to a straight flight because its so **** tail heavy.

The German Planes are making strange snap rolls when flying hard dives: It is explained by one Dev that this is because the german fighter could achieve a higher g-force but funnly a Yak-1 can follow you with the same maneuver without any problem...

Which leads me to my biggest dissatisfaction: Cherry Picking, well the devs aren't posting any sources they used, and I can understand that because well some sorces weren't cheap or are freely in the internet. But then making such cherry picking infavour for the VVS-Planes is not right! For example: The Notleistung of the 109 F-4 was only restricted in the manuals for a short time. In game we got appx. one Minute of it. In the VVS Manuals for the LaGG3 it is said that they shouldn't dive faster than 650 km/h. But because there is ONE report of a pilot which is not confirmed that he really was that fast they can easily dive above 700 km/h without any damage at all. And this goes through every plane in favour of the VVS. Hey the La-5 or LaGG3 had fuel tanks in the wings and suffered heavy controls but they roll faster than a FW190...

This leads me to the next point, some VVS Flightmodels are real UFO's. Especially the YAK-1. It loses zero energy, can make maneuvers like a UFO and much more. Or look at the FW190, it can do a **** Cobra-Maneuver right after the take-off. The Flight physic is broken.

I have to come short, but there is a lot of things which aren't right or doesn't work right. The campaign is just generic generated missions without any immersion. You could even change the sides after every mission. We don't have a dedicated Sever yet, no Full Mission Builder. We don't know if we can have skins or how. You are FORCED to play the singleplayer to get unlocks for the multiplayer. We have arcadish unreasonable unlocks which are comepletly meh but could be great campaign rewards. The GUI is just a bad design and not even good.

All in all its a 4 of a 10. And I don't compare that game with any other games. There Is a lot of potential, but I doubt the devs will use it.
  35. Oct 25, 2014
    This game was/is advertised as a combat flight simulator. I bought into the early access pretty early and was very impressed with the way it looked and handled. I posted how impressed I was on the forums. Being so early in development I was expecting some improvement over time and some evolution. Friday's came with some updates, New planes etc. But they also came with
    1. The removal of
    1. The removal of graphics options, in their place 3 presets because the developers think their players are too stupid to tinker with their own computers.
    2. Arcade like HUD, presumably the devs think the player base is too stupid to look at the actual cockpit instruments they have modeled. Reading the forums, some folk are looking for tablet app's to show their instruments when there is a cockpit on screen, so I guess the devs have the target audience they were looking for.
    3. Unlocks, power ups, call them what you like. They are a gamey feature. Some folk are saying they are the first step in the introduction of in-game purchases/microtransactions/pay to win features. Time will tell on that, but the signs are there for sure. The devs and forum moderators think the paying customers are too dumb to just jump in the aircraft and fly and must go through flight school to get unlocks. I **** you not, read the forums.
    4. No improvement of flight models.
    5. An empty campaign that the paying customer is forced to go through to access the field modifications locked into the power up/unlock system.

The textures are low resolution, the game engine is dx9 and with 2 years of development there has been no improvement. DX11 cards have been on the market for a long time. The folk who play flight simulators are always looking for the best fps and invest a lot of money in their hobby. I'm pretty sure 90% of the player base have dx11 systems.

Flight simulations are a cult. They bring out the fanatics. The devs threatened to scrap the project if the reviews on this site weren't favourable. The scores of 9-10 you see here are from the kool-aid drinkers.
    This is not a flight simulator and it is NOT a worthy successor to the original il2 by Oleg Maddox. It's an arcade shooter aimed at the warthunder crowd and that is a shame.
    I asked for my money back, stating that the game is not the simulator it was advertised to be. That the introduction of power ups have no place in a simulation. Eventually they agreed and refunded my premium early access $90. They will not look into unlocks, they are there to stay. My refund is testament to that.
    I give it a 1 and only because they gave me my money back
  36. Oct 28, 2014
    IL2:BoS have a very solid platform, and great flight-models, a real feeling that you are in an old WWII bird, and an incredible sensation of real flight, that I can't remember when the last time I felt.
    It looks good, it plays good. And mainly I really want it to take over the coming 10+ years as the New IL2 in the ..ehh.. IL2 series.
    I've been an owner of the game for quite some time,
    I've been an owner of the game for quite some time, and I already got my 100$ worth out of it, several times over.

I'm not really bitter anymore about the forced SP campaign, to unlock stuff for MP and QM's.
    I tried some positive thinking, and pretend I have to attend flight-school against my will.
    This title will only grow stronger in time, but I recommend you to voice your opinions about the unlocks were the devs can see it, not immediately feel it in their pockets.

This is my greatest fear about the project.. the unlocks. If I would today stand between buying a 100$ sim.. and then having to unlock weapons I would just laugh, and browse on, I'm 42 years old.. I don't 'Gotta catch them all'
    But I'm glad I bought it when I did, since now I have it, instead it being showed to me today, I would take the word 'unlock' on the same page as simulator as an insult.
    But see it as being forced to learn your surroundings, identify planes etc etc. that you will benefit from a lot in MP While being 'rewarded' for doing it

The dedicated server and full mission builder will be out sooner then later

I will make a re-review after I finish my first campaign, so this score is not set in stone

Since I can't even force myself to play the 'unlock game' and not even playing it at all right now, I changed my rating
  37. Nov 22, 2014
    You have to question any review that starts with a comment like "Disregard and positive or negative ratings as being FanBoys or Nay sayers". A review should be about the facts (as each of us see them) and NOT on feelings or anger.

Battle of Stalingrad in a nut shell gives you a stable platform to fly one of the biggest historical battles in the books. Is it perfect? Most likely not. But then what game is perfect?
  38. Oct 28, 2014
    I am very sad to buy this game. Bad flight model, bad damage model.
    I thuoght this game is successor of IL2:STURMOVIK 1946.BUT IT ISIN'T!
    Overall I cant recommend this game at all. If you have any love for the genera then your money would be best spent elsewhere supporting people who make flight simulations instead of junk like this.
  39. Oct 24, 2014
    This is a huge disappointment. The unlocks are a joke. Might as well fly War Thunder or any other arcade game. It was supposed to be a sim, but it is an arcade game. Too bad they did not live up to what they promised.
  40. Oct 23, 2014
    This game, and I call it a 'game' as opposed to a sim, claims to be the next iteration of the venerable IL series which set the benchmark for flight combat simulation on PCs for years. It is not. Far from it. Yes, it has very well developed flight models and the graphics are superb. This is all to the good. But, very significantly for those looking for a true successor to the IL series,This game, and I call it a 'game' as opposed to a sim, claims to be the next iteration of the venerable IL series which set the benchmark for flight combat simulation on PCs for years. It is not. Far from it. Yes, it has very well developed flight models and the graphics are superb. This is all to the good. But, very significantly for those looking for a true successor to the IL series, bad design decisions late in its development introduced gamey and arcade characteristics to the game. You have to grind through pointless missions, for example, to unlock certain points and weapons, planes etc. Like a War Thunder experience. As a single player, you will be left sorely dissapointment. If you like arcade WT-ish type games, with better flight physics, then this is probably the game for you. If you want a deep, well designed simulation, then stay away from BoS. Expand
  41. Dec 4, 2014
    Have to revise my score down from 8 to 6. Looks like the Devs just don't want to listen to people and make some quick common sense decision to improve this game's reception. Unlocks shouldn't apply to those who pay full price. Custom graphic options not being present and with no plans to change this policy is ludicrous. Badly implemented SSAO ruining the game's looks at high / ultraHave to revise my score down from 8 to 6. Looks like the Devs just don't want to listen to people and make some quick common sense decision to improve this game's reception. Unlocks shouldn't apply to those who pay full price. Custom graphic options not being present and with no plans to change this policy is ludicrous. Badly implemented SSAO ruining the game's looks at high / ultra settings. Autopilot stuck to 2x time compression so the cheaper Russian buyers can't blaze through the dull campaign unlocks.

There's a good core game here but Loft has made some very bad calls about some major aspects of the game design. It would be easy for the devs to remedy these decisions with virtually no work on their side but Loft appears to be digging his heels in as he knows better than everybody voicing their complaints apparently. Hopefully somebody can make him come to his senses and things can turn around but I'm not overly hopeful at this point. If they keep these same policies I won't be buying any future releases and with DCS WW2 and CloD TF 5.0 on the way there's plenty of other quality choices in the market.
  42. Oct 24, 2014
    Graphics are not bad but the xbox style presets stop you from really getting the best visuals on your pc and its only DX9.

I like to play online but you can't access all the weapons until you unlock them in the single player. The community spoke out about this over a month ago and they just ignored them which is generally what they do if you criticize or point out a problem. The only

The only people who can run a server are the fanboys who dont criticise, one guy that did was stopped from running one, just search their forums and you can see that. No mission editor either so you just play air quake and not real battles.

There are some really weird flight model issues that if you search on youtube will show examples of planes doing things they cant in real life. A weird bias against luftwaffe planes that when questioned gets you banned on their forums e even after you post performance stats. One of the developers scared the community a few weeks ago into giving them good scores here by threatening that the project could close in december if scores continued to be low.

Its sad to see the IL-2 name sink to new lows. I won't give this a 0 but my score is lower because of the fanboy 10 scores.
  43. Oct 23, 2014
    NOT a remake of the classic.

Sadly 777/1c has used the IL2 name in an attempt to sway people who loved the original to buy this. The only thing in common with the old IL2 is the name and its a WWII flight game. This is not a good sandbox type sim. This is not an immersive WWII air combat sim. Its very linear, and very strict. You can forget it being old IL246 with updated graphics.
    NOT a remake of the classic.

This is not a good sandbox type sim. This is not an immersive WWII air combat sim. Its very linear, and very strict. You can forget it being old IL246 with updated graphics. You can forget doing a COOP campaign, or a good SP dynamic campaign. You can expect a HUD that is out of star wars, and a campaign about as fun and interesting as watching grass grow.

The devs are trying to get the War Thunder crowd, and having the sim crowd pay for development.

Good:

1. Graphics are nice. NOT CLoD graphics, but better than old IL2.
    2. FM are ok. Not great but passable.
    3. Land graphics are nice. It IS all snow, but its done well.
    4. 8 regular plane is nice.

Bad:

1. SP campaign is horrible. Its a bunch of quick missions. No historic squads, no pilot info, no squadmate info, and no dynamaic campaign. Blow up and airfield in one mission, its back the next.
    2. Always on connection. You have to be connected to the 777servers to play the SP campaign, and access your profile.
    3. No full mission builder. Forget making your own missions. They *might* release one later down the road....maybe.
    4. No Dserver for MP. Again they might release one later....maybe. For now enjoy the slim list in different timezones, and mostly just quick dogfights.
    5. Unlock and XP. Yes, in order to unlock different loadouts you HAVE to the play the SP campaign. This even goes for online players. You are forced to play the boring SP campaign to get weapons and skins.
    6. Graphic presets. No custom graphics settings. Why? According to the devs people are too dumb to set up their graphics options.
    7. Hollywood smoke and damage effects. No planes go down without huge plumes of smoke and fire. To the point of over the top.
    8. Simplified damage model. Hitboxes without internal componet damage.
    9. Old digital nature engine running the game. Using DX9 tech. Severely limits how many objects can be in a battle. Dont expect to see large bomber formations, or large scale ground/air battles.
    10. Limited modding. User made mods have to be approved before it goes into the game, including skins. This is another reason for the always on master server.
    11. The development team. 80% of "founders" who bought the early access game did not want XP and unlocks. Everyone gave them feedback, but they basically said too bad. You play the game the way we want you to. Same with the graphics presets, and no custom setting in campaign. They think they know better on how you play the game than you do.
    12. No triple screen support. There is not one "sim" from racing to flying that has been out for the last few years that does not support triple screens. Well, here you are.
    13. Price. For what you get, simple dogfight MP, random generated quick mission campaign, a quick mission builder, no dserver, no full mission builder, and no way to pick your graphic settings, its just a shallow game.

The only saving grace is hoping that next year modders can make this game more of what made old IL2 fun. Considering the restrictions by the devs, that might not ever happen. We can hope.

In the meantime CLoD with Team Fusions patches, and IL21946 with HSFX mods, are much better (and way cheaper) alternatives to get a good WWII sim fix.
  44. Oct 23, 2014
    This rendition of IL-2 has a long, long way to go before I would suggest it for purchase by a hardcore simulation fan but I would likely recommend it if you are a casual gamer just getting in to the genre.

On the foundation: The feeling of flight is well captured with the Digital Nature engine, but some of the nuances in flight modeling are questionable at best and are hotly (and normally, unprofessionally) contested by the developer. Second to that, there is no transparency in the documentation used to draw the conclusion on why the VVS historically overperform and don't suffer from production quality issues like it should be modeled, but any changes in flight modeling initiated by the community requires complete disclosure of sources and a whole lot of tooth pulling. The damage model is absolutely horrendous and is built primarily around HP counters and badly modeled break-points, black 2D holes on the wings, no spars in the wing, hitboxes, etc. The simulator is built around a terrible and embarrassing XP system designed to make you toil away to unlock standard loadouts. The "campaign" is a slightly-more-advanced Quick Mission Builder, is not dynamic and completely lacks any form of historical/squadron-based immersion - the only difference QMB and the "campaign" is that AI are placed on the map for you and you are dealt a very generic, repetitive series of missions/briefings that have no effect on the outcome of the battle. Not to mention, repetitive flight paths/objectives. Achieving victory in the campaign is repetitive as the criteria for completion is always the same - meet target at action point, shoot, fly to exit point. AI is deplorably broken and will not function (even when commanded to do so) in the campaign. Hit sounds and feedback do not perform properly and were dismissed with poor excuses about game-engine limitation. Overall, the things that BUILD a flight simulator are ultimately underwhelming and not so convincing.

For the MP guys: Digital Nature has difficulty providing the large-scale multiplayer experiences that we have come to expect in the IL-2 series and equally proves to be the largest limiting factor for the entire experience. If you are expecting SoW, SEoW or any other large-scale/dynamic multiplayer experiences, look elsewhere. I am not convinced the engine will ever support them.

777 as a company is deplorable and incredibly difficult to work with or give the benefit of the doubt to, due to all of the times they managed to shoot themselves in the foot. Their communication is poorly translated (from Russian) and the cultural differences between Russian society and the Western consumer will leave you feeling undermined and dismissed if you are ever granted an audience to make a claim. Jason, their American business partner (and the only major redeemer to their communication), has had to clean up their publicity/business mistakes more than once.

TL;DR - Stay away for years. It will take that long to mature, if it ever does.
  45. Oct 24, 2014
    This is a mediocre sim at best. The flight models have huge holes, the damage model is a joke and the ballistics is lacking. It has huge huge historical inaccuracies and is heavily russian biased. The terrain is fairly small and because the theater is Battle of Stalingrad the ground is covered in snow which means there is absolutely no variety in visuals. Even if the game's graphics wereThis is a mediocre sim at best. The flight models have huge holes, the damage model is a joke and the ballistics is lacking. It has huge huge historical inaccuracies and is heavily russian biased. The terrain is fairly small and because the theater is Battle of Stalingrad the ground is covered in snow which means there is absolutely no variety in visuals. Even if the game's graphics were top notch, which they are not, the game would look bland and boring. On top of that the game does not even give you a full set of graphic's options because the developers do not thing the community is smart enough to configure their computer's properly. (do a search and you can find the exact quote on the topic.)

The Legend Returns! ? Please, if anything this is the final nail in the IL-2 coffin.
  46. Oct 23, 2014
    This is a midcore CFS, not as complicated as DCS but much more realistic than war thunder and similar games. Complexity is about the same as Rise of Flight or the original IL-2 series from early/mid 2000's. With that in mind, it has superb feeling flight modeling and impressive damage modeling. The sounds and graphics are also very good, especially given that it's actually using DX9.

In

In terms of gameplay, the multiplayer is top notch. Even at this early stage, we have 60+ player servers with a buddy of mine looking at doing a 120 player server. Combined with a powerful mission builder (in closed beta as of this review, but with some of those custom missions being made available to all), the multiplayer maps are incredible. There is the possibility of player made fully dynamic online campaigns and complex missions in general. This is the MP CFS to play for the next few years at least.

Sadly the game does have one major short coming and that is the single player aspect. The career/campaign is basically non-existant. In its place, we have what basically amounts to an advanced quick mission builder (QMB) in addition to the regular QMB. It has some historical background in cutscenes and an historical frontline at various stages, but the player doesn't have an assigned unit, plane type or even nationality. The player is everyone and no one at the same time. Terrible design decision imho. That said, functionally it works just fine. I simply hate the design of it.
  47. Oct 23, 2014
    Meh, I really want to give this game more but I cannot.
    Meh, I really want to give this game more but I cannot.
    The graphics are for the most part ok. One can really see the low quality of the textures when sitting in the cockpit. I'm guessing it was a toss up between performance and quality when using a game engine which still uses DX9. they chose performance. It's 2014, why not chose DX11? A poor development decision, and not the only one. "power ups"? The developers have been in the flight sim game long enough to know that Multi-player is a huge part of the appeal of ww2 combat flight simulation for the punters. How can the dedicated servers,when the arrive, run COOP missions when the player base "power up" level is all over the place? It's mind boggling that the devs chose to implement such a bad idea.
    Flight models are not the worst but they are certainly not the best. This is NOT a combat flight simulator. It's somewhere between warthunder and il2 1946. It's an arcade flight shooter. Warthunder players there is no mouse aim and it's not free but if you have a joystick and you don't mind spending money to grind your way to "power ups" You may find it a small step up from warthunder.
    I really wanted to like this game, I really want to see potential in it but the developers seem to have taken no notice of the paying early access customers and made some pretty poor decisions. I don't hold out much hope for further development, aircraft, maps. The developer threatened to shut down the project when some bad reviews appeared. Who can tell if there will be further development when, one of the guys running the show, shows such a lack of faith in his own project?
    Meh and only meh.
  48. Oct 23, 2014
    I've been flying combat flight sims for the last twenty five years....and this game is the best quality flight sim to be released right out of the box, in all that time. If you want to experience some historical immersion complemented with great graphics....and atmospheric flight conditions rendered in superb authenticity, you really need to try this game. The learning curve is notI've been flying combat flight sims for the last twenty five years....and this game is the best quality flight sim to be released right out of the box, in all that time. If you want to experience some historical immersion complemented with great graphics....and atmospheric flight conditions rendered in superb authenticity, you really need to try this game. The learning curve is not overpowering, and the plans for the games continued support both by the company and third party enthusiasts has already began. This is the best flight sim to come out in years and I urge you to give it a try.

In all fairness, the game uses a system of unlocks which can be viewed as equipment upgrades, so it is necessary to complete the campaign section of the game, one phase at a time. Some of the multiplayer guys are a little upset about the unlocking system, so you might see some lower ratings based on that situation alone. Had it not been for that situation and the lack of a better historical unit based career mode....I would have given this game a "10".
  49. Oct 23, 2014
    I played Il2- Forgotten battles, I played SB War Thunder, Rise of Fligt etc. So far, Il 2 BOS the best and perspective flight-simulator.

Guys, dont forget how much content there was in Il 2 sturmovik in 2001 y. Almoust nothing,
    Now Il 2 BOS its a platform made to make a game of our dream,but not in one day.
  50. Oct 23, 2014
    A very advanced flight dynamics engine, after all the same behind Rise of Flight, astounding graphics that, even restricted to the area of Stalingrad and Winter time, have a quality and impact in overall immersion and sensation of being there that is truly UNIQUE among the whole flight simulators I ever used. Even weather rendering and modelling is simply superb.

You can play at online

You can play at online servers, missions, single player Campaign mode, online, or offline in mission and Campaign modes.

AI, both in the air and ground, is plausibly modeled and you can really get into extremely realistic scenarios.

A flight simulator that will get you addicted for sure - I am!
  51. Oct 23, 2014
    The game is beautiful and immersive. The multiplayer experience has been my favorite aspect so far, especially when teamed up with some other pilots over teamspeak. The feeling of flight is very satisfying as well, even more so with the weather and wind effects. The game has the ability to attract newcomers to flight sim games from the very popular Free-to-play titles, by offering easierThe game is beautiful and immersive. The multiplayer experience has been my favorite aspect so far, especially when teamed up with some other pilots over teamspeak. The feeling of flight is very satisfying as well, even more so with the weather and wind effects. The game has the ability to attract newcomers to flight sim games from the very popular Free-to-play titles, by offering easier setting for more novice pilots without sacrificing realism until they can get comfortable with complex engine management.. Some people seem to be turned off by this and turn their nose up at these types of players and the dev team for trying to appeal to a broader market. Bringing in players who's interest has been sparked by the arcades style games and want something more is essential to the survival of the genre as a whole.
    The single player campaign is fun and immersive as you may stumble upon patrolling enemy fighters on your way to the target, or witness a dogfight taking place off in the distance. You can also see tank and other battles going on in the distance as well, which is very immersive. I will say that it does lack the career mode like ROF which would have been a nice touch. The lack of this feature can make the campaign feel a bit like a single mission generator at times.

I think the biggest negative aspect of this game was the decision by the developers implement an xp/unlock system. In order to used field mods for your aircraft in MP, you have to unlock them while playing singleplayer. This has upset a lot of MP only players who don't want to have to grind out xp in the SP campaign in order to have their desired load out in MP. I agree that the SP and campaign should be separate and all unlocks should be available in MP unless restricted by server settings.

It's easy to compare BoS to other games that have been out for years and have been heavily modded and say that it lacks certain content. However you have to remember that those games were much the same when they were released. All in all I would have to say that I am very pleased with the game so far and that my money has been well spent. I look forward to the future of this game.
  52. Oct 24, 2014
    This sim isnt even close to be an IL2 46 successor as advertised. Limited engine for creating MP missions. Often poor MP performance on high end machine. Thers no mission editor, customizable skins or custom video settings (??!!). The FMs seems nice but nothing much better than old IL2. Clouds look odd and cockpits are not much better than modded IL2 46. Default skins and weapon and otherThis sim isnt even close to be an IL2 46 successor as advertised. Limited engine for creating MP missions. Often poor MP performance on high end machine. Thers no mission editor, customizable skins or custom video settings (??!!). The FMs seems nice but nothing much better than old IL2. Clouds look odd and cockpits are not much better than modded IL2 46. Default skins and weapon and other modifications can be unlocked only via MP grinding (xp points) which doesnt fit into this genre. Im sorry I ever bought this. Their other game RIse of flight is much better, both visually and in terms of performance. Expand
  53. Oct 23, 2014
    Good, solid foundation to build on. Works "out of the box", also with bit older computers. Graphics are good and so is feeling of flight. Realism options will help beginners to jump in. Single player campaign is not the most immersive at least at the moment and unlock system doesn't really feel right. At least not the way it's implemented now.
    Multiplayer have potential also, and there is
    Multiplayer have potential also, and there is some variety of servers already, some of them being pure air-quake and some others offering more historical approach with full realism settings. The question how many players servers can accommodate is still to be answered, atm largest have limit of 100 or something like that.
    At it's current form, it's by now means perfect, but the core is solid, so there is a lot of potential to build on. Hopefully in time we will see more (user made) content and all the small things (like problem with 3 monitor set-ups) fixed.
    All in all, I would recommend buying.
  54. Oct 23, 2014
    Simply - the best simulator from WW2 era. Beatifull graphic, great FM etc. I think that this IL2: BOS is really nexgen game for simulator fans, especially for Eastfront.
    As i said before - the best sim.
  55. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent.

The planes themselves feel very faithfully modelled, both visually (particularly the damage modelling) and in terms of flight characteristics. The narrower selection of planes means that each has been finished to a very high standard, although the developers have already made some suggestions about planes being added following release. The visual effects are obviously
    Excellent.

The visual effects are obviously excellent and the sound is generally very good, although a few effects appear to be missing (eg some hit sounds on your own airraft), but that can probably be put down to the game still being in early access.

The AI is also very impressive and provides a very challenging opponent without resorting to any cheating: the AI follows the same rules as the player, has his vision constrained by the cockpit and controls his plane via control inputs as well. I've occasionally forgotten that I was fighting the computer rather than players online.

AI gunners also man the gunnery positions in the Heinkel, Pe-2, the Ju-87 and IL-2, however they can also be manned by other human players. Gunnery stations in each of the planes that have them are fully modelled from a first-person pov.

The multiplayer is also very fun, even at this early stage where it appears to be a basic team deathmatch placeholder. Servers offer two difficulty settings; Normal (icons, automatic engine management, navigation assists) and Expert (no icons, manual engine management and navigation).

EDIT: From reading the community page, a lot of people seem concerned that the La-5 and FW-190 premium aircraft are some sort of pay-to-win issue. They're intended for enthusiasts as neither played a significant part in the Battle of Stalingrad itself, and neither are the highest performing aircraft on either side: multiplayer is still largely a contest between the Yak-1 and the 109s.
  56. Oct 23, 2014
    I've played flight sims all my life, ranging all the way back to my parents Packard Bell with Microprose's Flying Fortress, Lucasart's WWII additions, all the way through all of the Jane's games, Falcon 4.0, and the IL2 series. You name it and I've probably played it....as long as it was categorized as a "simulation".

When I first heard BoS being marketed as the true simulation

When I first heard BoS being marketed as the true simulation replacement to IL2:1946s I got excited. 1946s was dying out as the game was so old and was no longer attracting any new blood...this was exactly what we needed, a new game! I was one of the early adopters and jumped right into the "alpha premium" just to be able to fly this "future of flight sims" game. While I was happy with what I saw at first I was quickly brought back in reality once the development continued.

I'm not going to get into any of the forum drama or anything of that sort, but my main problem was that the Devs didn't seem to listen to what their early adopters/playerbase were wanting and expecting out of the game. They had their own ideas and were sticking to them. Hardcore sim fan? Sorry, you're not our target audience.

Everything seems dumbed down and really does remind me of IL2:Birds of Prey (which I could not stand). While pretty it just didn't seem real at all and seemed to throw out all that made IL2:1946 so good and fun. I am in no way talking about the lack of maps/planes but more of a focus shift from individual plane components to what now seems like an overall "plane". I'll compare it to some car racing games that use green bars that have static performance levels for easy interpretation rather than relying on the skill of the driver. Don't even get me started on the FW190...

The game is gorgeous but unfortunately is still plagued by the DX9 "plateau" that some developers can't seem to get past. The flight models seem a little wonky and I can't understand why the pitch input in the axis planes seems to "wander" after input (regardless of speed) where as the russian planes do not have this issue. This makes gunnery/overall flight aggravating since I don't remember seeing this input in any other game series (DCS and Cliffs of Dover don't suffer from this)

All in all I was utterly disappointed by the game. I may check back in a year or two to see if things have improved, but for right now...there are MUCH better games out there if you are looking for a true flight sim experience. If you're looking for a step up/above from War Thunder then BoS may be for you.

I give this game a solid 4.0. It's pretty, the sounds are awesome, and it has potential....but the devs come off as hostile/apathetic and I just don't have any patience for that. I wish them good luck!
  57. Oct 23, 2014
    Long time flight simmer, experienced in IL2, CLOD, FSX, DCS, ROF, and many more going way, way back (think subLogic on a C64). This title, even at release, is the most engaging and addicting flight simulator I have ever used. The 'feeling' of flight is akin to DCS, but with more aircraft selection and a historical WW2 setting.

The game mechanics, maps, flight model and damage model

The game mechanics, maps, flight model and damage model are sound, and the game has been getting updates and attention weekly during early access, and they are continuing to make improvements. The development team (777) is very active and responsive to the community; Check out their forum.

Joystick will be required, at a minimum. Personally, I've been obsessed with it for months.
  58. Oct 23, 2014
    BOS is a fantastic game, it is just now released and it does still needs some polishing. Im sure more planes and maps will be added like Rise of Flight. More servers will be added and the flight and damage models and excellent. No regrets with my purchase.
  59. Oct 23, 2014
    I have been playing this game in early release for about a year now and I think it is the best WWII flight sim on the market. The feeling of flight is captured better here than in any other simulator except maybe Rise of Flight. The unlock system was, imho, a poor one but it is not nearly as bad as some of these reviews make it out to be. All planes are available out of the box. WhatI have been playing this game in early release for about a year now and I think it is the best WWII flight sim on the market. The feeling of flight is captured better here than in any other simulator except maybe Rise of Flight. The unlock system was, imho, a poor one but it is not nearly as bad as some of these reviews make it out to be. All planes are available out of the box. What you unlock are some skins and some field modifications and some weapon load out choices. But you can hop online and compete on an even field without unlocking a thing. If you are into WWII combat flight sims, this is a must buy. Expand
  60. Oct 23, 2014
    One can be impressed by what the dev team achieved in such a short period of time! The game is already very good and really belongs to the IL2 1946 family. Some so-called experts will tell you that the FM are incorrrect or strange when they actually never flew any WW2 fighter and don't know much more about WW2 fighter piloting than the average sim pilot... Well don't be impressed, try forOne can be impressed by what the dev team achieved in such a short period of time! The game is already very good and really belongs to the IL2 1946 family. Some so-called experts will tell you that the FM are incorrrect or strange when they actually never flew any WW2 fighter and don't know much more about WW2 fighter piloting than the average sim pilot... Well don't be impressed, try for yourself: you will enjoy this sim, and you will learn a lot more from it than from their boring and patronizing ranting and whining :) Try it, you wont regret it! Expand
  61. Oct 23, 2014
    Coming from War Thunder (FRB/SB) and having no pre Simulator experience (I consider WT SB mode as a soft sim) I notice a few things right away. First the planes flight models (FMs) including the ground handling are much more realistic or atleast they feel that way for me. WT and IL2 BoS FMs are worlds apart, that said I can not compare them to DSC or older IL2 titles, cause I haven'tComing from War Thunder (FRB/SB) and having no pre Simulator experience (I consider WT SB mode as a soft sim) I notice a few things right away. First the planes flight models (FMs) including the ground handling are much more realistic or atleast they feel that way for me. WT and IL2 BoS FMs are worlds apart, that said I can not compare them to DSC or older IL2 titles, cause I haven't played them.

Graphics are good, definitely better than the ones I have seen in WT, especially the cockpit models (all gauges, levers and switches are working and animated). The landscape is mostly snowy planes with roads, some cities and forests on it. Close up they look good, but winter is not really my favorite landscape theme, but that is just a personnel task.

Difficulty is okay, taking off is a bit more difficult than in WT (SB) but with some practice it feels nearly as easy. Spotting (if you play on expert with no markers) is easier than in WT. Aiming and flying can be compared to WT, guns do actually do damage and I experienced no issues with hit registration so far. Planes with damaged wings can still fly, even if a 1/3 of one wing is missing, which is realistic. Don't expect to be able to go back into combat with such damage, but flying back to the airfield is possible.

The game offers a Single Player campaign, which was just released as I wrote this review. It is still in development, so don't expect to much from it in this state. Multiplayer is great, servers allow joining and leaving at anytime (no queues like in WT). Despite being still in development and not released, the number of players is already big. There are two modes in Multiplayer, 'normal' with markers and automatic engine management and 'expert' without markers and with complex engine management.

It may has fewer planes than WT, but the few it has have great FMs, alot of skins and highly detailed cockpits which are fully animated (gauges and levers). The Heinkel 111 has all gunner positions fully modeled. Also each planes offers alot of diffrent configurations and weapon loadouts. The Ju 87 D-3 for example can be equipped with bombs up to 1800kg bombs, 3.7 cm cannons or underwing machine gun pods with 6 guns in each pod.

The developers recently introduced an unlock system for skins and weapon modifications. I for myself coming from WT am used to this. IL2 BoS unlock system doesn't take that much time compared to WT, but it is only available in Single player, so you have to play the SP campaign to be able to use certain skins and weapon load outs in multiplayer.

All in all this sim feels great, one of the best WW2 flight sims out there. Switching to this game from WT was the right step, as I prefer historical matchups and realistic FMs over quantity of planes. I am giving this title a 8 cause the unlock system is in my opinion spoiling the fun for the MP players that don't want to play SP to get them, even if it is way faster than the unlock system of WT.
  62. Oct 23, 2014
    I bought in very early into the early access release of the game based on the strengths of the studio's previous release, Rise of Flight, and the promise from the developers that the game would strongly focus on the single player aspect.

I was very, very disappointed when, very late in the development cycle the single player "campaign" was finally released. I put the term campaign in quotes because there really is no campaign to speak of. The "campaign" is basically a random mission generator that is very repetitive in nature, bug-ridden, and ultimately unfulfilling as there is absolutely no sense of continuity between missions. You choose your starting base, the type of plane you wish to fly, and then a basic mission type (intercept, escort, ground attack, etc) from one of 5 options and the game then generates a semi-random mission. The victory conditions for each mission type are always exactly the same and there's very little variety between them. Flight plans are nearly always the same 4 point diamond pattern (start, 1st waypoint, action point, 3rd waypoint, home). The briefings are generic, repetitive, and lacking important details. They're also full of errors. It often informs you that your target will be at 500 meters when they turn out to be at 5,000m or vice versa.

The AI in the missions is broken. Friendly ground attack AI wingmen will not attack targets, no matter how many times you order them to. They'll just circle over the target until they're shot down by AAA, furn out of fuel, or you RTB. Enemy AI fighters almost never engage bombers or ground attack aircraft if escorts are around. Air-to-air AI is a bit better in that the AI will engage the player but the challenge level is low. They're all too easy to shoot down and never seem to present much of a challenge at all. There don't seem to be different skill levels between pilots. They all fly in a uniform and predictable fashion.

Even if they do manage to shoot you down, it doesn't really matter as there's no penalty for failing the mission. The reason for this is that you don't actually create a single, online pilot. It's a truly baffling omission.

Even the most rudimentary of campaigns in other flight sim titles allow the player to create a virtual pilot and then track their progress throughout the campaign. Even Rise of Flight allowed this. Battle of Stalingrad does not. You don't create a pilot. You don't join a squadron. There are no historic markings, bases, aces, or dynamic battlefields. It doesn't matter if you shoot down 2 enemies of 20, nothing will change on the battlefield. Nor does it matter if every single one of your AI wingmen is shot down. The game doesn't keep track of them. They have no names and there's no penalty for losing them. As the AI kind of sucks anyway, there's absolutely no point in caring about what happens to them. They tend to be more of a threat to you than an aid anyway as they will sometimes ram you if you're both chasing the same bad guy. Rather than creating an immersive, historically accurate representation of the battle with player and squadron stats being tracked and updated, the developers came up with a truly idiotic system wherein the player is expected to grind for XP in order to earn unlocks. The system lifted straight out of an MMO or Battlefield-esque FPS and has no place in a flight sim.

Your only goal in the game is to earn enough XP to unlock plane modifications such as rockets, bombs, or new plane skins. Earn enough XP and you can unlock the next of 5 chapters in the campaign. These chapters are largely pointless as the battlefield in each chapter is completely static and you're always fighting over the same map with the same weather regardless. The only difference is the position of air bases and front lines. It's all just crushingly dull. What makes it even worse is the fact that the developers have removed choice from the player.

For the longest time during the pre-access stages, the players had the ability to select custom difficulty options to tailor the game experience in such a way as to get the most enjoyment out of the sim. For some unknown reason, the developers took the difficulty customization away from the campaign portion of the game and instead force the player to select either "normal" or "expert" difficulty. I prefer to play in full-realism mode with external views turned on but I can no longer do so in the campaign. I have no idea why they refuse to let me.

The unlock system carries over into multi-player as well. If you want the planes and unlocks for use in the online portion of the game, you'll have to grind through the single-player portion in order to earn them. The MP community has suffered as a result as players can't join missions if they don't have the unlocks required.

It's a huge disappointment because the flight dynamics are great. Shame the game itself is so bad. Avoid it.
  63. Oct 23, 2014
    BOS has very nice and detailed Plane Models and Graphics and a nice big detailed historical map.
    The flight models are quiet good and dynamic, aircraft don't "slide" on the Ground like in other older Sims.
    During the early access programme the devs very clear what they could acive in the very limited time they had to develope it. The SP campange is NOT a dynamic Carrier as many may

The SP campange is NOT a dynamic Carrier as many may had hoped, rather randomly generated missions that fit in the time of the Battle you choose.
    If you want roleplay you have to add that yourself.

The unlocks are not great, but the most important ones are very easy to get, 2 or 3 missions/plane will get you there for most parts.

MP is quiet good at the moment already, the SYN Server runs now games with 75 players and more to come soon.

The devs have stated that they are currently working on the Dserver, skin making tools and the FMB, and in December we will get a roadmap for futher development .

This Sim might not be perfect from the start but it is working good and has huge potential and will hopefully evolve as Il2 1946
  64. Oct 24, 2014
    The team behind the WW1 sim Rise of Flight did this WW2 game with 1C. Fundamentally this is a hardcore simulator which is visually very appealing and polished. The developers probably glanced at War Thunder when they created an achievement based singleplayer campaign. It allows the player to quickly drop in and out of the game, which is positive, but in its current state it is not terriblyThe team behind the WW1 sim Rise of Flight did this WW2 game with 1C. Fundamentally this is a hardcore simulator which is visually very appealing and polished. The developers probably glanced at War Thunder when they created an achievement based singleplayer campaign. It allows the player to quickly drop in and out of the game, which is positive, but in its current state it is not terribly engaging. Nonetheless this is an excellent package with much to offer the serious simmer Expand
  65. Oct 23, 2014
    It still need improvements but the game just looks superb! Immersion is stunning as for the flight feeling and physic engine, the best land ever seen with a superb bump mapping. This provide really a great immersion when you fly at low altitudes with clouds and snow. Graphic is really very good even if the game is till in DX9. In DX11 it would have been much better however.
    Multiplayer is
    Multiplayer is still WIP (YOU STILL CAN NOT HOST your own missions) but it's really good now with the last update (75 players on-line without any problems if not some lag sometimes), but the on-line experience is great and really immersive: fly the He-111 with friends, and you'll dream!
    We are still waiting for a FMB as for the Dserver but they are both WIP. We'll se, this game can only improve.
  66. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent sim, and a complete reboot of the IL2 franchise based on a new engine and development team. Great FM on expert, and good balanced helpers for newcomers to the genre. Really atmospheric graphics - don't get put off by the bright snowy screenshots everywhere, having such a reflective landscape makes for great evening/night mission visibility, and gamma controls are built in to takeExcellent sim, and a complete reboot of the IL2 franchise based on a new engine and development team. Great FM on expert, and good balanced helpers for newcomers to the genre. Really atmospheric graphics - don't get put off by the bright snowy screenshots everywhere, having such a reflective landscape makes for great evening/night mission visibility, and gamma controls are built in to take the edge off. Expand
  67. Oct 23, 2014
    Avid flight simmer, going back to RedBaron, Falcon 4, AOE, etc. Have most of DCS titles, ROF, etc. Many hours online in IL-2 1946, CLOD, and now BOS. This product is simply incredible. Yes, it is not perfect, and I would like some features changed (unlocks, having full controls over graphics settings and few other minor things). I have flown in RL. The feeling of flight/immersion in thisAvid flight simmer, going back to RedBaron, Falcon 4, AOE, etc. Have most of DCS titles, ROF, etc. Many hours online in IL-2 1946, CLOD, and now BOS. This product is simply incredible. Yes, it is not perfect, and I would like some features changed (unlocks, having full controls over graphics settings and few other minor things). I have flown in RL. The feeling of flight/immersion in this sim is second to NONE. Great job developers!!! Expand
  68. Oct 23, 2014
    IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad has excellent graphics, sound, and attention to detail in the plane models and map of the Stalingrad area, but the gameplay and campaign are set up for a pre-teenager. It will please neither audience as it is too dark and full of history and realism for the kids, and is so dumbed down that someone in their mid to late teens or an adult will feel silly playing it.IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad has excellent graphics, sound, and attention to detail in the plane models and map of the Stalingrad area, but the gameplay and campaign are set up for a pre-teenager. It will please neither audience as it is too dark and full of history and realism for the kids, and is so dumbed down that someone in their mid to late teens or an adult will feel silly playing it.

It is a crying shame that the IL-2 brand has come to this, but Battle of Stalingrad is a wanna be pretender made by a company that has no clue how to manage the IL-2 brand which they purchased for the release of this product. Make no mistake, this is not an Oleg Maddox IL-2 premier game design that you might be familiar with over the last 10 years.

The campaign has no role playing aspect and no dynamic aspect. It is not even a linear campaign. It is a bunch of randomly generated missions strung together that tell no story at all. Instead of earning higher ranks and medals from your success, you'll earn things like the "Young Pilot's Badge" and bigger bombs for your airplane. And you'll get messages of congratulations for just taking off in your plane "Good job. You took off!" You will get no sense of history at all from this game while it insults your intelligence at the same time.

Who would I recommend this game for...I can't think of any audience. MP players are forced to grind through the SP Campaign to earn skins and technology for MP play and SP players face a campaign made for kids. And the game's too mature and difficult for kids. Get ready for a huge disappointment if you purchase IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad no matter who you are.…
  69. Oct 23, 2014
    Not the TRUE remake of the classic (yet), but certainly a big step in the right direction:

+ fantastic 3D plane models from the outside (never seen better in any sim out there). + good FM for what it is (certainly much better than the old il2 or 1946) + runs stable and smooth and hasn't any major bugs or technical flaws - the cockpits aren't nearly as sophisticated as they could be

+ good FM for what it is (certainly much better than the old il2 or 1946)
    + runs stable and smooth and hasn't any major bugs or technical flaws

- the cockpits aren't nearly as sophisticated as they could be graphic wiese in 2014 (they are worse than Cliffs of Dovers which is 3 years on the marked...)
    - the map and the cities are lifeless and have not many details (i.e. rubble, telegraph poles, etc., again worse than Cliffs of Dovers)
    - no infantry, which is a shame for a game about one of the biggest infantry battles in history

(-) if you dispice unlocks, well, the game has them (however no microtransactions or that sort of s***, thankfuly)
    (-) no clickable cockpits, for hardcore simer (like me) thats a real bummer
    (-) outdated graphics engine; I fear we will stick with the same graphical quality for quite a long time, which is a pitty considering this is an engine (digital nature engine) is already outdated today.

And for the FM debate: you won't find a game in which everybody agrees about the flight model. There isn't just one. So imho you can ignore the FM debate, because for me as a long time simer I think it is well enough to immerse you into the world and enjoy the strengths (and weaknesses) of your plane.
    An F4 is the truly superiour plane than a LaGG. I don't know if it is correct to the last 5% but who knows? It certainly is sophisticated and far away from being arcade.

I would give the game a 7.5 but will give it an 8 because is the game exactely what I wanted? No. But is it a good product for everyone to enjoy and did the devs sincerely try to release a good flight sim? Definitely yes.
  70. Oct 23, 2014
    First off, if you see a 10 score, know that it is a biased "review" started from the official forums by the fanatics. Yes, go look up the official BoS forum and look at the campaign started by the fans. Its a disgrace. Its far from a TRUE score.

Sadly, this game cannot stand on its own merits, therefore gets inflated by the forum users. Bottom line is this is not worthy of using the

Bottom line is this is not worthy of using the IL2 name. From the arcade unlocks and xp points to the generic campaign. This is nothing like the good old IL2 1946.

The main fault? The campaign. Supposedly 80% of BoS was centered around this part. Its arcade, boring, and just plain bad. Its random quick missions over and over again with no pilot stats, and no real squadrons from that time period. In fact, there are no squadron marking in the game. The campaign is not dynamic like Dgen or DCG for Il21946. It gets dull fast, but if you want unlocks you have to play it for xp points. Yes, xp points in a WWII "sim". This also carries over to multiplayer. You want to use unlocks and skins online? Go grind your xp in single player. It wouldnt be so bad if it was actually fun.

Custom campaign options are also out. Custom gfx setting are also out. But having to be connected to play the single player campaign is in.

There is also no dedicated server. You will not be moving your squad from another game. Nope you have a select few servers, that are at peak pretty barren. There is no mission editor either. You will not be creating missions. Again 2 things that old IL21946 did, and did well.

Its sad when a company takes a name like IL2 and makes it War Thunder 2.0, then tries to sell it to the sim market. Its an insult.

People looking for a great sim experience might want to look at IL21946 (5-10 bucks) and get it modded. Want something more pretty? Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion patches (5-10 bucks). For $20 you can have tons more than BoS can offer right now, in single player and mulitplayer without spending $60 + bucks for BoS.
  71. Oct 24, 2014
    Unlocks, XP points, grinding and powerups - If those are things you enjoy or expect from a flight sim, then, by all means, this title is for you.

This title tries to tell you this is the continuation of the original IL2 series yet doesn't have 10% of the features that made IL2 what it is. Combine that with developers that threaten their customers, and forum moderators that are

Combine that with developers that threaten their customers, and forum moderators that are amongst the worst in the business, you are left with very few people playing and even fewer with any interest to play.

This is the 1st flight sim I've ever bought that I have absolutely 0, zip, nada, interest in playing. It's no simulator, and it's definitely not much of a game either.

In 2014 you don't even have an option for something as simple as setting the trim on an axis of your HOTAS. You can't even create skins for the planes. You can't even choose markings or numbering for your planes.

This is the biggest let down as a flight simmer I've seen yet. Not only does this game fail to deliver something better than products released years ago, it doesn't even deliver the very most basic features of those other titles released decades ago. To top it all off, this game is expensive.

Save your money if you are expecting a real IL2. The closest product I can compare this to is Wings of Prey and that's probably pushing it. With very questionable flight models, a basic damage model, DX9 graphics, along with hollywood effects, the realism and accuracy of this game is completely thrown out the window.

If you are looking for an IL2, look at the real IL2 titles made by Oleg. If you want a War Thunder grind fest in an arcade setting, this is the sim for you.
  72. Oct 23, 2014
    BOS is a very well done sim when it comes to flight modeling. It's level of aerodynamic simulation goes far above what original IL2 had or IL2 Cliffs of Dover has. It's a sim for people who search for realistic FM. Each of the planes has its very unique behaviour. It's not exactly easy to be successful in combat with those planes but when mastered it's rewarding. This sim is probably notBOS is a very well done sim when it comes to flight modeling. It's level of aerodynamic simulation goes far above what original IL2 had or IL2 Cliffs of Dover has. It's a sim for people who search for realistic FM. Each of the planes has its very unique behaviour. It's not exactly easy to be successful in combat with those planes but when mastered it's rewarding. This sim is probably not for everyone. A good joystick + rudder pedals + Track-IR are a necessity. A fast PC and a good gaming monitor are necessary too. Graphics is simply stunning - great visibility of aircraft, great implementation of weather, clouds, fog, sunset and so on.

The offline Campaign is not so great. Is serves its purpose but is lacking more depth. Night missions are great though. There are plenty of ground targets around. AAA gets interesting because of its visual effects. Light-beams may blind you. Trucks have lights on. The overall feeling is much better than during day missions when everything is black and white.

This game is a great choice for seasoned flight simmers and WW2 enthusiasts. It's not too friendly to gamers new to this genre. But this will probably change over time when there is more community created content available including detailed tutorials with all the tricks.

10/10 my two cents.
  73. Jun 1, 2015
    This is my second review of this sim. Much of the deficiencies in this sim since my first review have been corrected as I felt very confident that they would be. As of this date the biggest flaw in this sim is it's single player campaign and the still as of this writing lack of graphics options, however in that respect the graphics presets work very well on most user PCs. The potential isThis is my second review of this sim. Much of the deficiencies in this sim since my first review have been corrected as I felt very confident that they would be. As of this date the biggest flaw in this sim is it's single player campaign and the still as of this writing lack of graphics options, however in that respect the graphics presets work very well on most user PCs. The potential is there greater than it has ever been for the future of this sim. User content is being created in the form of missions and skins and there is new content in the works for BoS in the form of summer maps and an entirely new theater is also in the works, The Battle of Moscow, coming with 6 totally new aircraft and new variants of three other aircraft already in the sim.

My current score of a 9 is a reflection of the positive changes to this sim that have been achieved and als a reflection of my confidence that the deficiencies that remain will be corrected to the satisfation of a majority of the simmers who own this product.
  74. Oct 23, 2014
    First thing: disregard the 0,1, 9 and 10 scores, those are either fanbois, praising their idol to heaven or people with a axe to grind. IMO of course :D
    As I bought the game very early I fell into the trap to assume that it would be a improved IL2-1946 and at least as good as the abandoned IL2-Cliffs of Dover.
    I was wrong! While this game sports very nice graphics and sounds, it lacks
    I was wrong!
    While this game sports very nice graphics and sounds, it lacks in the sim department.
    The flight model gives imo no real feeling of weight of the planes, especially when landing they float and float, very unlike as in real life where I occasionally dumped a Cessna the last 20 - 30 cm because of the stall.
    Not so here, too fast and you bounce and you have to become really slow to reach the stall.
    The FM has too many discrepancies, FW 190 roll rate, FW 190 Cobra manoeuvre, in general the twisty reactions of the axis fighters and rock steady (felt) reactions of the VVS fighters.
    The DM needs to be reworked also, attacked planes are loosing wings or other major parts waay to easy. Almost every hit gives at least a major leak, a fire, or with cannons a major structural damage.
    That disregards that at least 70% of the fuselage is empty and has no critically load bearing structures.
    The DM is clearly made for gamers, not for the sim crowd, as success is easy and spectacular.
    If you want a flight game -> you've found it, and a really good one.
    If you want a sim -> stay with IL2-Cliffs of Dover or wait for DCS WWII or even stay with IL2-1946.
    Same if you want to fly as a group, BoS doesn't deliver that, at least for now.
    Mission building will be available in the future, we'll see. Collapse
  75. Oct 23, 2014
    A worthy addition to the library of any enthusiast of WW2 aviation. The flight model was developed by a guy 777 got from DCS. The DCS model is well regarded by the flight sim community and I would say il2 BOS is at least on a par with DCS on that issue. The developers have concentrated on the flying aspect of the game rather than every button and switch like DCS. This will appeal toA worthy addition to the library of any enthusiast of WW2 aviation. The flight model was developed by a guy 777 got from DCS. The DCS model is well regarded by the flight sim community and I would say il2 BOS is at least on a par with DCS on that issue. The developers have concentrated on the flying aspect of the game rather than every button and switch like DCS. This will appeal to many, particularly those new to the genre. BTW I like WW2 DCS models as well, when I am in the mood for detail. At the moment BOS is better than DCS with the range of aircraft, ground attack targets (moving vehicles) and graphics.

Ignore the haters (what is all that about!!??) and try this title if you are a WW2 flight sim enthusiast. More upside than down side. Is it perfect, no, what game is? Is it very good? Yes.
  76. Oct 24, 2014
    BOS is a wonderful sim. And so much more to come. I give it a 10 because it is a first to see such a complex
    simulator being so great at release. I predict that BOS will surpass in every aspect of graphics and complexity any current simulator. It is the new Milestone in WW2 sim.
  77. Oct 23, 2014
    It is quite enaugh for simulator, i wonder how people can be so negative. I have not best computer with i3 3.5 GHZ and Radeon r 280 X and i run BoS at Ultra settings with 65-85 FPS.
    I really like to learn to fly Lagg 3 and Bf 109 and want to become really dogfighter.
  78. Oct 23, 2014
    Great sim so far, can't wait too see what the future development brinks. Title worthy of the Il-2 Sturmovik name. Participated in the Early Access of the title.
  79. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent flight experience. SP campaign is not what I was expecting but is not that bad either. The game has a very dedicated community so it will shine once all the player created missions hit in. You can already feel some of it when visiting MP servers like SYNDICATE that are testing custom missions creation at the moment.
  80. Oct 23, 2014
    Gorgeous graphics, a wonderful feeling of flight and for me rock solid performance. Some people don't like the campaign and unlocks and personally I wasn't sure how they would affect my enjoyment of the game. But after playing it the campaign missions are so immersive that I'm actually loving it. The unlocks are nearly all minor items that were rare at the time so they shouldn't affectGorgeous graphics, a wonderful feeling of flight and for me rock solid performance. Some people don't like the campaign and unlocks and personally I wasn't sure how they would affect my enjoyment of the game. But after playing it the campaign missions are so immersive that I'm actually loving it. The unlocks are nearly all minor items that were rare at the time so they shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the game even if you don't want to play through the campaign. Currently waiting for the release of the dedicated server and mission builder, both of which have been promised by the developers. Once they are in I'll give it 10. Expand
  81. Oct 23, 2014
    If you like your WWII sims like a sandbox, with a strong single player dynamic campaign, historic and interesting MP including Co-op, look elsewhere. If you like random quick missions campaign, non-historic squads, air-quake MP, and xp points in your game....this might be for you.

Could have been good, but BoS made too many bad decisions. Starting with the fact you have no custom graphics setting. Nope, you get presets. You have to be connected to the 777 master server for your profile and to play the SP campaign. In the campaign you cannot set a custom setting. You get two options.

So the SP campaign BoS gives you is as follows:

You pick your plane (no historic squad to choose). You pick an airfield (again not historic to plane type). No pilot name, no squad info. You pick between short (air start) or long (ground start). Now at plane setup, all your skins and "upgrades" (ie removed headrest, wing cannons for the 190) are "locked". So you take off/or air start and you have a silly non-historic way point system. Your starting point. Your first way point. Your "Action Point". And your "Exit Point". Yes, your action point is where the enemy will spawn, where you have to shoot 2 planes (yes...you have to shoot 2 planes its in the briefing ). Your exit point is what you have to reach to have a successful mission. Now you can land or just hit ESC to end the mission. You will know this by the bright flashing text on your screen telling you. Then you get your XP points, and a little measure bar showing how much XP you got for the mission. You get enough you can unlock a skin or a new modification. No AAR report. No info on the front. Nothing else. Its that generic.

Nothing dynamic. Nothing interesting. A snore fest.

Now you will have to do this SP campaign to unlock anything for your planes. This includes people wanting to play online with unlocks. You are forced to play this shallow campaign in order to unlock things for online use. So not only do the SP players get screwed, but so the MP ones.

Now, lets see what we can do in building our own missions and campaigns, since the devs gave us nothing on their end. Oh, never mind you cant. There is no full missions builder. It might come later, but no idea when. Nice.

There is also the Digital Nature engine. A modified one used in RoF. Considering large amounts of air/ground cannot be made with it, this concerns me. Without having access to the Full Mission Builder, its not known what can be done with it. It seems so far that massive battles are not possible. Small scale is what you will have to deal with. Thats not for me.

Spent money on Early Access of BoS in hopes that it would continue the IL2 series. It didnt. It went far to make sure it didnt. MAYBE in 6month to a year it would be worth it. As it is right now it does not offer anything that I enjoy in my sims from IL2 orginal modded to CLoD TF modded.

If you are like me, wait. Then wait some more until modders make this game enjoyable. Then see if it has made any progress.
  82. Oct 23, 2014
    This sim, a successor to the venerable Il-2-series, is made by the team of Russian programmers that created WWI flight sim Rise of Flight.

IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad may - if sales are good - be just the first in a whole new range of combat flight sims that will encompass many WWII theatres of war and planes of all nations. This first release only takes place over the frozen steppes of Russia with just one major city modelled: Stalingrad. Let's hope upcoming releases will give us more than snow and ice to fly over, because the map modelling, lighting, weather and volumetric clouds are really top-notch and it will be wonderful to see green land, oceans, deserts and mountains making their appearance in this sim one day.

If the map is a bit bland (being all snow-covered) the same cannot be said for the action taking place there. When playing missions in the single-player campaigns included in the sim you really feel as if you are flying over a live, heavily embattled combat zone. Huge palls of smoke hang over Stalingrad and other small towns on the frontline. Flak and tracer fire paint the sky and lots of action happens on the ground, where you see artillery shells crashing down constantly. A far cry from the sometimes sparsely populated maps of RoF.

When it comes to the core of any combat flight sim, namely the planes, the flight and damage modelling, the dogfighting and the bombing, Il-2: BoS is frankly second to none. The graphics, sounds, the realism in flight, the sense of inertia and heft to the planes, the brutal clatter of machineguns, twisting smoke trails of cannon fire, the multi-faceted damage modelling... it is all just superlative and a really updated, intense improvement on all earlier sims. White knuckles and sweaty brows guaranteed!

It is clear that the developers have aimed for high realism, without any compromises in the name of "balancing". If you take up a Russian LaGG against a Messershmitt Bf-109F prepare to be outgunned, out-maneuvered and quickly out of options! - It can be brutal, but also a real challenge, where superior piloting is the only thing standing betwen you and disaster. You don't get many simming experiences much more satisfying than winning a dogfight in BoS. It won't come easy, it will require a lot of practice and mastering a sometimes steep learning curve, but oh is it delightful to get there in the end and see an opponent (online or AI) going down in flames trailing a billowing smoke trail!

The cockpits are beautifully modelled, even though they don't quite meet the (almost) ridiculous detailing of cockpits in Cliffs of Dover and the DCS series. No complaints though: the 'pits are definitely gorgeous and look fabulous with six degrees-of-freedom TrackIR. The sim will support the upcoming retail version of Oculus Rift, which is reportedly totally mindblowing in BoS (something I can easily imagine, having tried OR Devkit 1 with WarThunder).

The campaigns in BoS are very good: much more lively than single-player fare in earlier sims such as Il-2: 1946 et al. A nice variety of missions that very often throw surprises at you and really let you try all kinds of missions, from escorting to groundpounding to intercepts and free-ranging dogfights. The AI is very impressive and can really give you a run for your money: much better than in earlier sims, even to the point of using advanced tactics and energy management. There are unlocks of secondary features (extra liveries and the like) that can be earned throughout the campaigns. This feature has strangely attracted the unbridled hate of a small group of flight simmers who think it is too "gamey", which explains some of the ridiculously negative reviews here on Metacritic.

Multiplayer is (for me) where the real fun is, and it has been fantastic throughout the period in which the sim was in open beta. It doesn't get better than fighting live opponents in the excellent servers that are gradually popping up. BoS obviously offers rich opportuinities for mission creation and some servers are already exploring very advanced features, where players get very realistic missions to accomplish.

All in all, Il-2: BoS is a great beginning to (hopefully) a new series of sims that I wish will branch out to many WWII theatres of war in the coming years. There aren't many high-fidelity combat flight sims out there: this is the most promising and the most ambitious. It is polished and surprisingly bug-free, a really solid release worth every penny to the discerning simmer who prefers realism and historical correctness to mindless shoot-'em-up gaming.
  83. Oct 23, 2014
    As a long time simmer I think I should clear some things up.

As a long time simmer I think I should clear some things up.

BoS is the game that killed the I2 series. Jason Williams literally came to 1c and convinced them to cancel development on Il2; Battle of Moscow. The true successor to the Il2 series made by Il2 developers. Jason Williams is someone with no background in flight sims, someone who worked for a hardware manufacturer and saw an opportunity in buying NeoGB – a company that made a WW1 flight sim.

Under Jasons brilliant guidance, the renamed NeoGB started making DLC the likes of which that would make bethesda with their horse armor envious. He managed to milk the ww1 flight sim fans, at east the fanatic ones, for all they were worth. And in the process drove off all the hard core simmers, thanks to his complete disregard for historically accurate performance.

Now this Jason Williams is tainting the Il2 name, one of the most esteemed in all of combat flight simming, by making a game that follows the lead of Rise of Flight. One filled with micro-transactions, with little care given to historical flight performance and no care given to the machines used at stalingrad. This is a game where the 190 is given free reign over stalingrad, even though it never served there. While the iconic Ju-52, which played a vital role at stalingrad is simply absent… I think some of this has to do with what planes will sell to the “light sim” audience 777 is targeting.

For everyone who is reading about this game and might be thinking “this is a sequel to Il2″ – it is not. This is a cash grab by a developer who has shown a clear disdain for its community time and time again. A developer who cares more about making 1.99 off of colored scarves rather then updating the flight models of aircraft that are clearly inaccurate (they said it was too hard to do and their engine made changing fms impossible, but they added altimeters for money!

I think this article is a case of PC world not having enough experience to properly rate something as specialized as a flight sim. They hear the BS of the developers and take it a face value, whereas the flight sims fans already know the story.

As a long time CFS (combat flight sim) and most of all, an Il2 fan, please don’t buy this game. It is a disgrace to the Il2 name, a fast and cheap money grab that takes advantage of people from lighter sims, like War thunder and World of Warplanes, to make money. This is IL2 dragged through the mud, with bad physics thrown in, and microtrnasactions tossed in.

This is a game made by a man wanting money, with no love or care for aviation, let alone ww2. Dont give opportunists like this your money
  84. Oct 24, 2014
    This is the REAL successor to the original IL2 Series. The sense of flight is on par with Rise of Flight (same Engine - but polished and featureincreased) and thereby absolutely stunning.
    BOS made a great staret and delivers a single- and multiplayerexperience so well working that no other combat flightsim in history can compete. Sure there still some things are missing like snow and rain but I am sure the devs wont stop optimizing at this point since this is only the beginning of a new era of WWII Combat flightsimming. So if youre a combat flightsim enthusiast the title is an absolute MUST HAVE!
  85. Oct 23, 2014
    New coming of Il-2 is pretty impressive. Just after a year or so development first version of the game is launched.

Starting with eye candy it is really top notch, really good atmosphere and feeling of cold Stalingrad and planes are really beautiful. Same goes with sounds, they are working. Flight model feels like flying, not going on rails. Every plane has a very unique feeling and

Flight model feels like flying, not going on rails. Every plane has a very unique feeling and are fun to fly. Damage model is on good level, planes taking hits and damage on different parts of plane depending on hits taken.

AI is using same flight models than player which is good. AI is decent at the moment and gets job done most of the times. Although it could use some work still and it will be improved further in future updates.

There are quick mission builder, separate missions and campaign available to the single player. QMB is working tool for testing and quick fights with AI up to the 16 planes. Separate missions include 14 different kind of missions at the moment.

Campaign is not a traditional career type. There are 5 chapters in campaign and you progress through them by flying succesful missions and gathering experience points in the process. Experience points unlock wide variety of new features for planes. They range from new cannons and bombs to additional armour. You can choose every time different plane and different type of mission on any stage of the campaign. It is working quite well for what it is. I would prefer career type campaign but still I have played current one with great pleasure. Missions generated have been very fun to play, I have played it through already and still keep flying. Hopefully at some stage game gets proper career campaign but this is a good start.

Overall its been a good experience past year from early access to first release. Development is going to continue, foundation is good.
  86. Oct 23, 2014
    Best game to fly WW2 bombers ever !!! Heinkel 111 is a dream and Stuka sirens spread terror on the battlefield !!! Multiplayer is solid with no lag. Servers and community evolving quickly. This is the game we gonna play for the next 10 years. A must have for warbirds lovers :)
  87. Oct 23, 2014
    A worthy successor to the all time classic flight sim; Battle over Stalingrad takes IL-2's banner and runs with it. The most realistic feeling of flight without actually getting into a WW2 aircraft and bodes well for when Oculus Rift's CV1 is released to realise new levels of immersion that can only be dreamed off.

Quite simply the best.
  88. CBZ
    Oct 23, 2014
    Amazing WWII flight simulator. Great feel, visuals and fun. The game has evolved tremendously since early alpha nd now that it has been released you can appreciate how far it has come.
    The gameplay is fun and as soon as user made server missions are created and the mission editor released to the public the game is going to be even better. This game will flourish with time, as other sims have.
    It's not an arcade game although it can have some simplified controls if you wish. So don't expect a Warthunder experience. Expect more!
    I can only recommend using a joystick for this game, and if you can afford it, a HOTAS + TrackIR.
    Awesome game with a great community. I'm sure developers will expand the plane selection and maps in the future.
  89. Aug 17, 2016
    This review would look very different if I wrote it a year ago.
    This review would look very different if I wrote it a year ago.
    The game came was released in barebones status but a lot of work was put into it since then. You can even say that it received multiple upgrades, all free. There have been some mistakes however, though most of them were changed or are oficially announced to be changed. Still, it is immediately recognizable that people who made this game are experienced combat flight sim creators.

Now I want to make it as short as possible so I`ll just say that the single best thing in the game is the aircraft and the feeling of flight. In those terms Battle of Stalingrad is a true successor to IL2 Sturmovik. When you fly`em you really get the ‘nextgen’ impression, even if the game is still in Dx9 (soon to be Dx11).

Cockpits look great, especially bomber interiors deserve a commendation. I very much like the flight model. Each and every flyable aircraft flies different, for example you easily can tell the 109F4 and 109G2 apart. There are some design flaws but nothing your average sim pilot could get crazy about.
    I also very much like the concept of custom loadouts, meaning that every plane has some field mods available (different windshield, added outer wing cannons, different types of gun in the propeller hub etc.).

Damage model is standard stuff I suppose, nothing really new here. Though be sure that even the smallest caliber rounds can break a plane if struck the sweet spot. It is entirely possible to blow off a part of a wing, disable weaponry or wound (kill) one of the crew members.
    Engine management is not exactly state of the art. Again, I would describe it as a standard in such games. Change prop pitch/RPM, manage throttle and supercharger. What is questionable is that all engines have the same 1 minute overrev limitation whereas in real life some planes obviously had more or less durable engines and could go well above factory specs (the P40 for instance).

The weakest part of the title is the multiplayer. There is no coop mode available to date, mostly you just have to fly in a open map on a free hunt. It is possible to setup organized missions though it is faaaaaar too much hassle to do and needs serious streamlining. Still a work in progress though.

The graphics and sounds are good, at times very good. It has to be noted that it was a conscious development decision in order to make the game friendly for low spec PCs.

Also the dev team has finally removed options that had to be unlocked through grinding and that is a big plus.

8/10 from me.

Pros :
    - engaging and challenging flight model
    - damage model
    - engine management
    - graphics
    - sounds
    - detailed maps
    - user interface
    - compatibility and low spec accessibility

Cons :
    - lackluster multiplayer
    - limited and repetitive single player
    - bad AI
    - Dx9 and other game engine limitations
    - some minor flight model quirks.
  90. Dec 1, 2017
    Fantastic deep flight simulator with dedicated developers. The game keeps improving and getting expanded over the long haul. Lot's to offer for the flight and ww2 enthusiast. Single players needs some love but my understanding as of the time of this review a new career mode is just around the corner. Highly recommended.
  91. Aug 15, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Даже на этапе "Раннего доступа" игра выглядела очень достойна, сейчас, когда игра вышла в в релиз, я могу сказать - это Шедевр!

Ты сидишь за штурвалом и это действительно "Я сижу за штурвалом, черт возьми!".
    Для симулятора важны ощущения, важен реализм, хорошая визуализация и реализация звука. Игрок должен не просто играть в пилота, он должен кончиками пальцев, всеми органами чувств ощущать себя пилотом, он должен стать им на время игры и всё это даже на данной стадии разработки есть в избытке!
    "Я не играл в пилота, я им был!" - вот, что я могу сказать...
    Внимание разработчиков к мелочам ощущается с первых минут игры. Очень красиво, аутентично, атмосферно и очень динамично...
    Глядя на зимние пейзажи становится даже зябко...
    Временами во время пикирования становится реально не по себе! Непередаваемые ощущения и опыт...

Когда ты заходишь на самолет противника, когда вы идёте параллельным курсом и ты видишь лётчика Люфтваффе - "Вот, он - гад!", когда крылья ваших самолётов едва ли не касаются друг друга, а потом вы расходитесь чтобы сойтись буквально лоб в лоб! Да, от этого дух захватывает! Увлекает так, что в запале схватки, не задумываясь ни о чём, идёшь на таран!
    Или... "Вот, ты... а, вот, я... но хоть мой ЛаГГ в решето, но я не горю, а ты горишь, и я у тебя, фриц, на хвосте! А теперь получи, и на землю, тварь! На землю! Потому что, это наше небо и нам в нём летать, а ты, гадина, рождён, чтобы ползать! А по сему... на землю!".

Как передать ощущения, когда уже не враг, а а ты у него на прицеле и снаряды его пушки рвут на части обшивку твоего самолета, и оглядываясь, ты видишь, что ты горишь!.. Это не описать словами, это надо почувствовать... Звуки пробиваемой обшивки... "Бам!", "Бам-бам... Бам-бам-бам..." и, вот, твоя ласточка на скорости в 300 с лишним киллометров в час, бешенно вращаясь входит в какое-то немыслимое пике и ты покидаешь самолет, выпрыгиваешь из него с парашютом... Вот, он летит к земле, дымя, сгорая, теряя куски обшивки, разваливаясь на части... а в стропах твоего парашюта поёт ветер... Такое можно лишь ощутить! Эти эмоции невозможно передать!

Рекомендую ли я эту игру? Вне всякого сомнения!

Разработчикам удачи, успеха и наши лучи поддержки! Будем ждать дополнений!
  92. Sep 13, 2016
    I spent many years with the original IL2 series. At the time it was THE combat flight sim. I also spent many hours with IL-2 CloD and Rise of Flight. I now play both IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and Moscow exclusively as they are superior flight sims. Although separate products, they merge into one sim as will all future releases. The feel of flying is simply the best on theI spent many years with the original IL2 series. At the time it was THE combat flight sim. I also spent many hours with IL-2 CloD and Rise of Flight. I now play both IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and Moscow exclusively as they are superior flight sims. Although separate products, they merge into one sim as will all future releases. The feel of flying is simply the best on the sim market, and yes, I have flown actual aircraft. Each plane has its strengths and weaknesses. Air combat and ground pounding are both challenging. Visuals are beautiful. Multiplayer continues to expand including dynamic campaigns. In single player mode there is the ability to fly with easier controls while you learn. A third party single player campaign is available and extremely well done. The sim is continuously supported by the devs. New technologies are coming such as DX11 and VR support. New campaigns have been announced as well. As you can see the original release of BOS received many negative reviews and maybe rightfully so. That is old news now however and the sim is top notch. IL-2 BOS/BOM is THE combat flight sim now. If you love WWII aircraft, you don't want to miss this new series. Expand
  93. Mar 4, 2017
    The BoS/BoM/BoK series is such a significant change from the original series that they have become the best flight simulation series available at the moment. I say this in the context of multiple aircraft fighting in a realistic setting; the single most accurate flight simulation for a given aircraft must certainly be the BMS-Falcon 4.0 code.

The various available aircraft are correct

The various available aircraft are correct for the historical period, the simulation itself is very approachable, with varying degrees of player involvement, and everyone should be able to find a setting arrangement that suits their evolving play style, from mouse controls to multi-control setups.

The simulation also includes very stable multiplayer code, which allows human players to occupy the same airplane and fly/fight as a team, something which DCSW is still 'talking' about. Thus, you can play as a flight crew on board a Russian or German multi crew airplane, such as the PE-2 Peshka or the Heinkel He-111; you can be pilot, bombardier or one of the several on-board defensive gunners, all with your friends or multiplayer teammates.

There are a couple of well-designed multiplayer servers available for PvP combat, so you can still choose to fight human players instead of game AI combatants. This simulator will even allow you to take control one of several tanks from either alliance, so that you can enjoy ground combat while the rest of the multiplayer crowd carries on with bombing, strafing and air-to-air combat. Some of these tank scenarios have been made available as single-player scenarios withing the main game itself, as well.

There are the usual quick missions, several canned single-player missions, and quite a few scripted campaigns to enjoy, some of which are commercial, some of which are community contributions for free. While on the topic of community contributions, many different aircraft 'skins' are available, both from the developers and community members, so you can display the colors of your aircraft choice within the historically correct era, or even fanciful designs available.

One of the best, most comprehensive player contributions has to be the Paul Wilson Campaign Generator which allows you to create single-player campaigns as you wish to, rapidly and with little player input save to pick out which significant variables you wish to employ; it has a simple simple interface, and voila!, you have new campaigns to play.

The game feels like it has a cohesive setting in which to engage in WWII aerial combat, The aircraft seem to perform, relatively, the same way their RW counterparts did. You can relax and feel that you really are on the Eastern Front or Great Patriotic War. The visuals, with the new DX11 graphics engine, are compellingly good, and VR support appears to be ready for use at about the the time when the VR technology is likely to mature; neither are quite ripe for prime time yet.

You can dispute flight models and damage schemes all you want, but what the simulator offers makes for a very realistic and playable setting. 1C Games and 777 Studios are relatively small Russian developers, and they have the same sort of relationships to the western commercial world as many of their counterparts in other simulators have, which is to say they do not have the same approach to customer service as do western companies; not bad, mind you, just palpably different.

There is plenty to do, and lots of ways to actually play the simulation, so much so that, with the new segments evolving for our enjoyment, there will be soon something for every one. Most of what currently exists is a handful of aircraft from Russian and German stable, subtle variants of similar types, and a couple of foreign players, such as the Italian Macchi202 and the American P40-E1, to add variety and spice things up a bit, even though these aircraft are not the best-of-breed by any means.

It does not have the incredible variety of aircraft which Rise of Flight, its sister-simulation has, however, but it is slowly evolving into a simulation that will have a much wider range of choices as the developers move into the Pacific theater with carrier operations in the new Midway segment. Battle of Kuban will bring new aircraft types like the venerable and respected Spitfire, and the less-well-know Airacobra P-39, among others.

What is occurring, behind the scenes, is the melding of the best elements of Rise of Flight with the new "Battle of X" series, including a carryover of the career mode, which hearkens back to Red Baron of old.

What is NOT needed are clickable cockpits, while such are delicacies for BMS and DCSW, because, with VR looming, such will be very hard to implement while not adding a great deal to the genre: a mouse on my PC screen clicking various cockpit buttons is less immersive than a HOTAS mapped correctly. However, if VR can get my virtual fingers to do the same task, then that is the real game-changer for me!

More to come!
  94. Feb 12, 2018
    Wow, people are ruthless on metacritic. First of all, let me clear something up. This IS a combat flight simulator. Do not listen to the haters tell you otherwise. War Thunder is a game, DCS is often a study-level sim, and the IL-2 "Battle Of" series falls somewhere in between, but it's still very much a sim. You won't have to read a bunch of plane manuals like in DCS, but you will stillWow, people are ruthless on metacritic. First of all, let me clear something up. This IS a combat flight simulator. Do not listen to the haters tell you otherwise. War Thunder is a game, DCS is often a study-level sim, and the IL-2 "Battle Of" series falls somewhere in between, but it's still very much a sim. You won't have to read a bunch of plane manuals like in DCS, but you will still have to learn specifics of planes to get anywhere and you'll have to manage the engine to not blow yourself up (reading old plane manuals won't hurt though). It's the perfect balance of sim and fun.

As for the flying itself, the flight models are seriously excellent quality. It "feels" like you're flying more so than any other sim/flying game I've ever played. People who fly IRL say that this is the most accurate "feeling" of flight. If that's not a simulation then I don't what is. The damage models are also much better than most other games/sims I've played and people have said that VR in this game is amazing.

Really, the only negative that I can think of is that the campaign isn't great (also not terrible), but they're about to release a new version which will include a brand new dynamic campaign with several new types of missions (along with a ton of new content). There's also user generated content that you can play while you wait, like scripted campaigns etc and a lot of it is good quality and there are mission builders out there.

PROS
    * Amazing flight and damage models.
    * It looks beautiful.
    * Actually feels like flying.
    * Combat is insanely fun.
    * Enough user generated content for when the campaign gets dull, a mission builder etc.
    * Very active development and a team that's communicative with their audience.

CONS
    * The campaign isn't "great" but it's not terrible either and it will be changed in the next few weeks anyway so this point won't be valid for much longer.
    * UI/menus can be improved, but honestly I don't care that much when I'm just trying to get into a plane and fly.
    * A bit on the expensive side, but it's worth it to me. Flight sims are kind of a niche genre so supporting the teams you like is worth it. I want these guys to continue and have no problem supporting them.

Oh and btw, this is NOT the same team that put out CLoD. It's a mix of some of the old IL-2 guys and the team that did Rise of Flight. Haters will hate.

Being that I've played nothing but this for the last 2 months, it's an easy 7-8. I'll give it a 9 to offset the haters. This will easily be a 9-10 for me once the campaign improves.
  95. Mar 16, 2018
    Please don't read the old reviews. Not because the people is lying but because the game changed a lot since then.

No more unlocks and mostly there is now a real career mode where you create your character and go through various missions, earn medals etc. AI is not great through, it feels more like a "training bot" than anything else but it's a pleasure to drive any plane, who feels

AI is not great through, it feels more like a "training bot" than anything else but it's a pleasure to drive any plane, who feels totally unique (each plane is extremely different. You need to take care of different things in a BF109 than in a FW190 that himself is the total opposite of a MC202 =) and laserbeam AI.

Multiplayer is well populated but I find a bit unforgiving... There are only aces out there.

The price is steep I agree, but it's frequently on sales and it's extremely worth it. There are maybe less planes than in IL2 1946 for examples but the attention for each plane is totally unique.

I'm taking a point down because they should really provide additional planes... ME262 is lacking (to be coming with Battle of Bodenplate, but yeah... Again full priced game...) and this is something leaving a bitter taste :(

Bodenplatte will be very good since it will be in Occidental Europe. I didn't buy Kuban for instance (no new plane, only variants, and... Again... In Russia. I'd like to see the sea, the boats the mountains something different than the huge plains of Russia). I'll probably take Bodenplatte but on sale. Price is WAY TOO STEEP.

I advise for a newcomer to take Stalingrad or Moscow on sales (depending on which plane you prefer most) and then wait for a sale on Bodenplatte in god knows how many decades...

Totally worth it on sales!
  96. May 4, 2018
    + Very good audio/visual engine being upgraded with every major patch.
    + Great physics and flight modeling. The best ground collisions among flight games.
    + Very good idea with consolidating all parts into one game. It's enough to have just one part and you can play multiplayer and receive all new patches. + Very good contact between community and developers. + The game is developing
    + Very good audio/visual engine being upgraded with every major patch.
    + Very good contact between community and developers.
    + The game is developing constantly.
    + One of the best Virtual Reality implementation i've ever seen.

- Before 04.2018 generated range of view was too small.
    - Until Battle of Bodenplatte (2019) there is no western front.

Overall: By far the best WW2 flight simulator ever created.
  97. Oct 26, 2014
    The good: Graphics are really good for being directX 9. The crash landings are done really well. The sounds are also really well done. The Flight Models are pretty good. Flying the campaign in full real can be pretty intense. The bad: MP only via their test servers, no mission builder, SP campaign could be better. Overall synopsis, this still runs way smoother and has less bugs than CLOD.The good: Graphics are really good for being directX 9. The crash landings are done really well. The sounds are also really well done. The Flight Models are pretty good. Flying the campaign in full real can be pretty intense. The bad: MP only via their test servers, no mission builder, SP campaign could be better. Overall synopsis, this still runs way smoother and has less bugs than CLOD. The flight models and difficulties almost get to the CLOD level and this can be played in full real. If they add a dynamic campaign that I can play online with friends, add a mission builder, forget the points and unlocks, then this could easily be a 9. Until then I think a 6 is fair. Expand
  98. Dec 12, 2014
    Плюсы:
    Хорошая физика.
    Минусы: Требование проходить кампанию, для открытия модификаций и скинов. Кампания - простой генеретор миссий, который на второй вечер приедается. Нет настроек графики. Пересвеченная картинка. Завышенные системные требования. Даже на рекомендованных настройках на среднем пресете, игра тормозит. Нет масштабности.
    Плюсы:
    Хорошая физика.

Минусы:
    Требование проходить кампанию, для открытия модификаций и скинов.
    Кампания - простой генеретор миссий, который на второй вечер приедается.
    Нет настроек графики.
    Пересвеченная картинка.
    Нет масштабности.
  99. Nov 8, 2015
    I just read a post saying this title had a bad critic here, and can't believe what i am reading. As there's a lot of Russian flight games and simulators out there, i wouldn't be impressed if, for example, Gajin, the most unprofessional company someone can imagine, making accounts just to bash this awesome title to make kids think his arcade and bs of game is better than the best simulatorI just read a post saying this title had a bad critic here, and can't believe what i am reading. As there's a lot of Russian flight games and simulators out there, i wouldn't be impressed if, for example, Gajin, the most unprofessional company someone can imagine, making accounts just to bash this awesome title to make kids think his arcade and bs of game is better than the best simulator one can fly.

And as i can see here, there are a lot of kids, that looks that were expecting an easy game, like warthunder, and awesomly expecting better graphics. Maybe they just have potato pc's because i can't understand how someone can talk bad about the looking of this sim. And this sim looked perfect even when i had a potato pc, so i don't understand what they are saying...

Let's focus on the important. A comercial pilot student, friend of mine, recommended me the IL-2 Cliffs of Dover as the best sim he has ever flown. Then we saw Battle of Stalingrad and bought it instantly as he told me wonderful things about it.
    And he can't be more right. This title has the best physics i have ever tested in a flight simulator. Amazingly accurate stalls, airflow flight models, and landing gear physics. It has he best damage model i have ever seen. Awesome graphics, from terrain, to models, to even smoke, chemtrails, and fire effects and explosions.

I have flown flight simulators since a lot of years now. With decent peripherals as the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog and saitek rudder pedals with Track IR can be. Flown from the FSX on the old days, to DCS World and a lot of the IL-2 titles.

And all i can say is, 1C Game Studios have done the best flight simulators i have ever flown.

FSX is outdated af. Complex integration of the comercial planes internal systems, with interactive cockpits, but too simple physics, and graphics that are harmfull to the eyes.

DCS World has decent flight models, simple but decent. Miles away from IL-2. The good point are the interactive cockpits, the third party companies doing modules, and therefore more varety of planes. But then you have the problem of having some planes, without their rivals of the era. An important fact here is that this is focused as a modern jet flight sim, and not as a WW2 flight sim as IL-2 is.
    The graphics? Well, even with the 1.5 update, they still have the explosions and fire effects from Lock-On, a sim from 2003. And the damage model is bs. P-51's laughing at half of a 30mm Bf 109 K-4 mag. This simulator is focused on dominating the systems of modern jets, not for doing dogfights. Also each module costs around 60€, that is what Battle of Stalingrad cost on release.

IL-2? Well, i said already the most important things. Best physics i have ever flown. Looking on pair with DCS World 1.5, with fire and explosions miles from dcs. The best damage model i have ever seen, come on search videos on youtube about the damage model of this game, you will go crazy. Wings bending, parts flying, planes breaking in 1000 pieces...
    IMHO this sim could just be improved by adding interactive cockpits, but as kids today just want easy games, this would limit the market. And also, maybe more planes, although the most used ones are implemented, and to add more planes they should add more factions like the Brits or the US, and wouldn't make sense on the Battle of Stalingrad, as thos nations weren't involved in this battle. They are close to the release of Battle of Moscow, where they are adding appart from more planes to the german and ussr factions, an american p-40 for the allies, and a italian MC-202 for the germans.

I would love to fly the Spitfires again on a more updated 1C Game Studios engine, and also americans like a P-15 or thunderbolts, along with germans on for example the Battle of the Ruhr. I would be the happiest man of the world.
  100. Nov 24, 2014
    Initially I thought I was getting a updated version of the classic version of il-2 Sturmovik and it appeared during development that we were on the right track. But at the 11th hour the developers added an unlock system that has completely killed my interest, safe to say that if you are a Multiplayer only type then this is not the game for you.

I do see potential, but frankly I am just

I do see potential, but frankly I am just not playing the game and the reaction to the playerbase by the developers is troubling. Overall it is probably the best game I will not play and I think at least has had a positive effect of moving people to Cliffs of Dover. Keep in mind I have flown in excess of 1500 organized Multiplayer missions in the original il-2 as pilot Lipfert.

If they are going to force a single player unlock system on you, then they really should had made it a very interesting experience. The word on the street is it is frustratingly boring in it's present form and I have basically been in a holding pattern.

I am giving this a 5, because of the reaction from the development team during the release to the playbase in question. Will give an updated review in one month and see if anything interesting develops.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 7 Critic Reviews

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 14, 2015
    Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad boldly seeks to renew the genre by adding modern game design elements to the admittedly often sterile genre of flight simulators. Unfortunately not only does the bold attempt fail spectacularly, the developers also seem to have completely forgotten what made the original Il-2 a legend. The Rise of Flight legacy shows in the rather impressive visuals and physics modeling, but strangely a lot of its nice features didn't make the cut either and the “sequel” falls short of its predecessor in many ways. [June 2015]
  2. Feb 10, 2015
    The excellent handling and the immense realism that Battle of Stalingrad offers, manages to balance out the poor single player campaign and some of its design flaws.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 8, 2015
    The lack of content and generous helping of bugs can be easily forgiven thanks to the developer's high reputation. [Feb 2015, p.16]