7.7

1. Aug 11, 2021
    This is the logical evolution of DoomRL, so if you've played that that's all you need to hear. It's basically the same game, with pretty graphics and some QoL touches that are really nice.

If you've never played DoomRL, it was a crowning achievement in the roguelike category and I personally feel that it single-handedly brought the entire genre into the spotlight. I am in my thirties and don't know a single person my age who didn't play, or at least hear of DoomRL and that is for an excellent reason. Jupiter Hell is pretty much just DoomRL, to the point where even a lot of perk names are identical, and it's great and genuinely touching to see the ChaosForge boys (specifically Kornel Kieselwicz or however you spell his name) finally get his due and get some damn money for what he made. JH has a great flow to it, it's easy to pick up and hard to master, a lot of choice in how you play, and a ton of depth and replayability. It looks good, sounds pretty good (the voice actor gets old pretty quick though) and this is just a solid, fun, playable game. It's absolutely worth your time and money, and it really nails the niche of "just one more round what do you mean it's five in the morning".
  2. Aug 14, 2021
    Very oldschool. There is really no progress outside of a run. But the build system and Gameplay is so much fun after about 5-10 runs. Also very addictive for me. Really one oft the best Roguelike I have ever played and I played a lot.
  3. Aug 8, 2021
    "Just one more run, and then I'm going to bed"--I've been telling myself this most nights for the past two years, ever since this game came out in early access, and even though it's been two years, that feeling is still there--"Just one more run, I can do better than that..."

Jupiter Hell is a true roguelike, according to the Berlin convention, that just keeps on giving: permadeath, a deep, procedurally generated world, a plethora of weapons, three different classes offering significantly different play styles, and a steep-but-not-to-steep learning curve; as the trailer's final tagline states: "Fight. Die. Try again."

Alright, you say, but I already have a favourite roguelike, why should I try this one? Good question! Let me name the reasons why. First: This game has a tight community built around it, and a dev team that hangs out and listens to the players on discord on elsewhere--nowhere else have I found such a tight community with such a responsive dev. Second: This is a *Doom* style roguelike...do you *really* have many of those? Really? Everyone loved Doom, even those who didn't, and the 90's shooters in general, hard not to love them--and this game captures that 90's shooter feel, but in roguelike form. Seriously, we could bet money on it, and I would win, because there just isn't anything else like this out there. Third: This game is actually really fun, totally worth the money, and is perfect for 10 minute (trials), 2 hour (regular game), or 2+ hour (infinite, etc) style runs. You want it to behave like a shooter and unwind after work? Play on easy or medium. You want a steep/steeper hill to climb? Go for hard or ultra violent. Hate yourself today? Nightmare! it is!

So if you want a sci-fi, turn-based game that can play as fast or as slow as you'd like, consider giving Jupiter Hell a spin--I promise you, it won't disappoint. In fact, I'm going to go and play my "one more run" right now...
  4. Aug 7, 2021
    In over 25 years of playing roguelike games I always come back to ChaosForge games. Their ingenuity in translating action into turn-based gamplay as well as the finely-balanced difficulty and learning curve are the most enjoyable for me in all the roguelike world. Jupiter Hell is - by far! - ChaosForge's magnum opus. The sheer ambition of making a roguelike that looks and FEELS like DoomIn over 25 years of playing roguelike games I always come back to ChaosForge games. Their ingenuity in translating action into turn-based gamplay as well as the finely-balanced difficulty and learning curve are the most enjoyable for me in all the roguelike world. Jupiter Hell is - by far! - ChaosForge's magnum opus. The sheer ambition of making a roguelike that looks and FEELS like Doom and will satisfy the need of doomslayerish badassery is impressive. The fact all this was somehow translated into an approachable roguelike is nothing sort of magic (so, a very advanced technology beyond my comprehension :) ). At its 'easy' tier this is a perfect entry-level roguelike. With its newly-added chalenge modes it will provide veterans with all the pain they'll be able to enjoy. Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2021
    Mega sweet true roguelike, the successor to good old Doom RL! Minus the lawsuits.
  6. Aug 17, 2021
    Nethack with plasma rifles! Lots of replay value due to the multiple skill paths and semi-random levels. The graphics and sound are great and add plenty of atmosphere. Recommended!
  7. Aug 19, 2021
    "Jupiter Hell" turns the DOOM formula into a round-based roguelike, and that's it. That's exactly what it promises, and that's what it does, with several modes, a nice presentation (especially for a roguelike) and even some text-based storytelling that you can - but don't have to - read in the station's mail servers.

It's easy to learn, but gives you quite a challenge and lots of ways

It's easy to learn, but gives you quite a challenge and lots of ways to approach situations. It stays true to it's concept, which unfortunately also means that it doesn't add anything and therefore leaves the levels quite empty, naked and repetitive. It's 2D and tile-based, so the level design is restricted to empty squares and empty corridors, and there isn't a lot of furniture or decoration. It's walls, barrels, and doors. Just like in the original, so I can't really complain about that.

As a little bonus you get different classes that you can level up with a wide range of abilities, becoming a tech wizard or a space barbarian swinging their wrench. It's not exactly a game that you can play for hours (and thanks to permadeath you probably won't last that long anyway), but I can see myself trying it's challenges and experimenting with it's systems for quite some time.

It's everything it sets out to be, and as far as the genre goes, the only thing it's missing is a little more depth - but the original didn't really have that, either. If you like the formula and idea, you will get exactly that, with a crisp design and a polished experience, and that's becoming quite rare these days. I'm glad I tried this.
  8. Aug 9, 2021
    Its like Doom but roguelike.... it's a good game you should try if you are searching for a turn-based game.
  9. Oct 16, 2021
    GAME DESIGN:
    GAME DESIGN:
    The game has a grid-based, turned-based movement system. You can usually move only in 4 directions. There are three character classes. Each class provides different tools to beat the game. Most of the tools however are available in some way to all the classes which makes the classes not that unique. Nevertheless, I think the game has a well-thought-out and well-balanced character development system.

AI:
    Enemies are very often stupid, which makes some sense because all of them are zombies, monsters, or robots. In a lot of cases you just hide behind the cover and enemies willingly walk out of their covers to be easily shot. Enemies seem to walk towards you when they hear you but when they lose you from sight they weirdly retreat. The AI ​​in this game to me feels quite artificial. I would like it if an enemy could consciously (not accidentally) shoot the explosive barrel when I'm standing next to it.

GRAPHICS AND CHARACTER ANIMATION:
    The graphics are ok however, I would like to point out that:
    - The lighting is not quite polished in some parts of the game. For example in Europa cave levels light is so strong that you can barely see the items on the floor.
    - When you for example press the up button and the right button at once it seems that the character is moving diagonally. In the tutorial, they explain that actually, you can move only in 4 directions, and moving diagonally is only a side effect of the animation system and that they're two consecutive moves. I think the graphics should match and accentuate the game design.

THE MOOD:
    The graphical style and the music are inspired by DOOM.
    In my opinion, the music lives up to the original DOOM score.

SUMMARY:
    Jupiter Hell is a very good classical rogue-like.
    I have played it for 25 hours and I'm still not bored.
    The game is still a bit unpolished but it's understandable. It's a very complicated game and it has been developed in a very small team for the last 13 years.
    It is still in active development and a lot of things will eventually get polished.
    The game is definitely worth trying out.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Oct 12, 2021
    A solid turn-based roguelike with traditional rules, transparent, fair gameplay, and distinctive atmosphere resembling Doom. It becomes repetitive and monotonous in longer sessions, but it’s a perfect title to launch in between other games. [10/2021, p.51]
  2. Sep 14, 2021
    Jupiter Hell isn’t afraid to wear its inspirations on its sleeve, and it does a great job in recreating that ‘DOOM’ feeling in a vastly different genre. While the build and class diversity is solid at first glance, the lack of gameplay and level variety doesn’t provide that ‘one more run’ feeling. That being said, there is plenty for hardcore strategists to sink their teeth into should they want to master the game at the highest difficulty.
  3. Sep 9, 2021
    With its fast pace and emphasis on explosive action, Jupiter Hell is a more-than-welcome addition to the ranks of the roguelike genre. Even without the nods to its better-known brethren, it still packs quite a wallop. It isn’t perfect, but I loved blasting demons and zombified minions too much to care. Now, where is that chainsaw?