6.3

1. Aug 9, 2016
    Nice minimalistic art style but my god is this game boring. I relatively liked episodes 1-3, even though there was too much flow walking, obtuse puzzles, and just stuff that was too weird. This episode was just mind numbingly boring. The set and music is good, but the gameplay is unexciting.
  2. Feb 28, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Erring on the side of quick, rather than pretty, writing. Also, no story spoilers, but I mention some mechanics that some might find spoiler-y.]

Season narrative starts intriguing then gets more vague over time; not very rewarding, from a reader's perspective. Gameplay starts w/ a map that feels open and free (Ep1); ends w/ a circle you get dragged around (Ep4); from a gamer's perspective, kinda neutering and painful to sit thru.

4 feels like being forced to read every book you stumble upon in Skyrim; a bunch of side stories w/ 0 relevance to any character I care about. Feels more like i'm doing what the devs want me to do, rather than what I want to do.

Stopped caring about thoughtful dialog choices at this point. It's clear my agency only determines which 1 of 2 scenes plays at each crit-path destination along this one-way circular map.

Not enough to mention "the Zero" every once in a while. That carrot is dried up somewhere midway thru Ep3.

Dream version of this game: just a few characters. Even if there were all those side stories that seem inconsequential, it would've been nice to connect them to these few core ppl I know.

I love that the game reflects on the human condition and whatnot, but it doesn't mean I want to click thru a game that rambles on about it for no reason other than to reflect or ponder. Or if it's all about those bits of human experiences, then start me off wandering the open road, not placed at a gas station w/ a specific video game-y kind of goal (get the power generator running). Start the game off reading and wandering, if it's all about reading these reflections and wandering thru these characters' lives.

1. Oct 11, 2016
    In a narrative sense, Act IV is most likely the calm before the storm in Act V, and falls perfectly in line with the five-act structure often used to analyze Shakespeare (the section of falling action). The best adventures are ones where the location — physically and mentally — one begins and where one ends up are shockingly, violently different. Kentucky Route Zero embodies this notion as the characters (and the player) disappear into the night.
  2. Sep 1, 2016
    Kentucky Route Zero is simply a game you can't miss. It's a marvelous piece of art with addictive dialogues and a perfect soundtrack.
  3. Aug 29, 2016
    Act IV is a slow, meandering episode that continues Kentucky Route Zero’s streak of quiet, introspective, blue collar beauty.