8.0

1. Mar 11, 2018
    Without the time travel and that feeling of danger in the air, it is just a teenage drama and superficial youth renegade story with not enough "kick" to it.
  2. Sep 2, 2017
    First of all i was a fan of lis1 when its released, but after the so many milking( make tv series, movie, and now this prequel) the game is getting disgusting talk about that you receive the extra mission farewell and chloe old clothes if you pre order the game this is disgusting by deck nines and square enix! Its totaly like a bad fanfiction and cheap game to only milking more LISFirst of all i was a fan of lis1 when its released, but after the so many milking( make tv series, movie, and now this prequel) the game is getting disgusting talk about that you receive the extra mission farewell and chloe old clothes if you pre order the game this is disgusting by deck nines and square enix! Its totaly like a bad fanfiction and cheap game to only milking more LIS universe and make easy money.

If i have need to compare to the old LIS1 i say:
    -Voices mostly horrible
    -Graphics worse than LIS1 was
    -Game is just total boring unlike the previously one
    -Musics is not good ones like previously ones
    - Characters is boring...
    -The talks is horrible and boring.
    - The decisions and outcomes is boring and uninteresting
    - The game story is uninteresing and boring, like a bad fanfiction unlike the previously one.
  3. Apr 16, 2018
    Posted: Dec 15, 2017 @ 3:12am

Posted: Dec 15, 2017 @ 3:12am

This has got to be the biggest disappointment ever. I come from four playthroughs and countless recommendations of the core game (Life is Strange). I preordered this because of the trust I placed in the company that made the original - here's the twist: Before the Storm wasn't made by DontNod (the Paris-based devs who brought us the original) but shuttled out by the publisher, Square Enix, to Deck Nine - an obscure company that brought us such blockbuster hits as "Neopets: The Darkest Faerie" and "Ratchet: Deadlocked", both flops on the PS2. In fact, when they got Before the Storm handed to them they hadn't developed anything since 2013.

Even so, the name "Life is Strange" carries a lot of weight - it's a brand of quality I expected to carry over no matter who the developer is. Characters with depth, surreal and immersive storylines, heart-wrenching plot twists, and cringey-at-times but emotive voice acting are all elements of Life is Strange fans came to know and love.

Before the Storm has none of that. We follow Chloe with (spoiler alert) no time travel powers like Max had in the first game - which leaves the game feeling void of any gameplay elements to set it apart from other choose-your-own-point-and-click story games. Instead there's a confusing and rarely used "backtalk" element that's as poorly introduced and explained as it is boring to use. The mechanic holds no weight and adds nothing to Chloe's character.

Otherwise, the game's game mechanics are practically identical to its predecessor, with a few more technical issues probably due to the jump from Unreal Engine to Unity. Graphics look a lot worse - might as well be a PS2 game (and judging by the developer's portfolio, it's no surprise that PS2 graphics were the standard they held themselves to).

All this could be excused if the story and characters mattered. I spent most of my time in the first couple episodes waiting for something to happen. The most interesting things in this game are tie-ins to the original like meeting characters or visiting locations from the first game, but there's very little point beyond "hey, remember this?" Locations and characters have very little purpose and value to the story.

What story? Who knows. The plot meanders around aimlessly. Chloe gets in arguments with her parents, spends time at school, meets Rachel Amber who she has a crush on? I guess? It's unclear and heavy handed at the same time. Stilted voice acting doesn't help the process, and while I know some people criticized voice acting in the first game I tend to disagree - the voices and mannerisms felt right at home in Arcadia Bay when DontNod did it. Here, however every time a mouth opens on screen what comes out sounds like it was recorded phoenetically by non-nativespeakers. By the end of the second episode I found myself not caring whether the main character and her squeeze lived or died.

This game made me feel bad for not killing Chloe at the end of the first one.
  4. Jan 21, 2018
    Nothing could be worse than Life Is Strange...expect of a prequel to Life Is Strange. Before The Storm takes problems of the first game and pushes them to the limit with more idiotic characters, main characters being just plain sociopaths, without not only getting some actual blame for this, that somehow changes them, or at least,changes the game, but being portrayed as RIGHT andNothing could be worse than Life Is Strange...expect of a prequel to Life Is Strange. Before The Storm takes problems of the first game and pushes them to the limit with more idiotic characters, main characters being just plain sociopaths, without not only getting some actual blame for this, that somehow changes them, or at least,changes the game, but being portrayed as RIGHT and PROGRESSIVE type of behaivor which is just atrocious. Graphics got surprisingly worse, probably because developers thought that excuse "ohh but its just a style ooh" would work second time. And, well, it seems it's working. New gameplay mechanic is even more ridiculous than time traveling mumbo-jumbo from the first game. This backtalking feature is not only extremely cringy but also incredibly pathetic and distanced from the actual, real life, that both Life Is Strange and Life Is Strange: Before The Storm are trying to reflect. And I'm not talking about how unnessecary this prequel is! LiS:BtS having the same userscore as Night In The Woods is saddening. I only hope that fans of this game would not try to reflect the behaviour that this game shows as "good" on their actual lives. Expand
  5. 4y4
    Feb 15, 2020
    This game is just a shadow compared to the original "Life is Stange". Not worth buying.
  6. Nov 16, 2018
    Игра явно хуже оригинала, рейчел эмбер не раскрыта полностью, вообще никто полностью не раскрыт, а сюжет в стиле убийца - дворецкий.
  7. Nov 24, 2018
    This was supposed to be Chloe's story, how she met Rachel and their relationship and what caused them to separate. What we got was awesome build-up to what looked like a budding same-sex romance, being scuttled by Rachel being injured and the B-plot of Rachel's mom. We don't even get the satisfaction of seeing the corrupt DA face any consequences. The story ends on a meaningless cut scene.
  8. Jan 31, 2020
    Game is trash of the highest stink factor. It's undeserving of the same same as the first Life is Strange. The voice acting is worse thanks to a guild strike, the music Is uninspiring and bland and doesn't fit at all, the game play is horrible, no time powers or any power at all, it's just boring. Add to that, the story is just awful, I mean throw up bad. It's super rushed, superGame is trash of the highest stink factor. It's undeserving of the same same as the first Life is Strange. The voice acting is worse thanks to a guild strike, the music Is uninspiring and bland and doesn't fit at all, the game play is horrible, no time powers or any power at all, it's just boring. Add to that, the story is just awful, I mean throw up bad. It's super rushed, super cheesy, they get the characters personalities wrong and change them, they had no idea what they were doing. Square Enix should never license out a game to an inferior company (DeckNine) because the original creators (Dontnod) didn't want to make a prequel...because it was unnecessary, stupid, and poorly done. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 19 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 18, 2018
    It's rare that a prequel truly works, where a story can captivate despite the audience knowing what's coming and where the path will lead. Life Is Strange: Before The Storm is one of those exceptional stories because it draws you in on its own terms. The only problem: You know it's building you up just to break your heart.
  2. CD-Action
    Apr 3, 2018
    Life indeed is strange. I was dead certain that Before the Storm simply cannot be good, but it turned out just fine. It’s really well-written, with fleshed out characters and some humor here and there. I applaud the writers for ditching science fiction elements, but I wish BtS was as good a thriller as it is a love story. [03/2018, p.58]
  3. Mar 14, 2018
    Deck Nine have finished off Life is Strange in sterling fashion. Saying farewell to Arcadia Bay with Before the Storm is sad, but the best farewells usually are.