8.6

1. Rem
    Jul 28, 2015
    Episode 4: The Dark Room in many areas is a rocket ship up in intensity and emotional payoff in the ever growing beloved world of Max and Chloe. But a big warning to those following the story so far, this is quite one of the darkest episodes not just in Life is Strange, but in gaming in general. Instead of using buckets of blood and violence, The Dark Room bathes in creepiness, theEpisode 4: The Dark Room in many areas is a rocket ship up in intensity and emotional payoff in the ever growing beloved world of Max and Chloe. But a big warning to those following the story so far, this is quite one of the darkest episodes not just in Life is Strange, but in gaming in general. Instead of using buckets of blood and violence, The Dark Room bathes in creepiness, the unknown, and general paranoia of something much darker on the horizon. The beginning I have to admit however, is an emotional roller coaster, probably the best I've ever experienced in a game so far because it harkens back to the relationship between Max and Chloe and manages to bring me to tears at several points in this Episode alone. Episode 4 more than the other 3 Episodes sees the culmination of your past choices and actually alter the little stories in the game rather than the overall arching narrative. What this Episode does absolutely right is setting up powerful scenes. I can recall at least three times within the 5 hour frame where I was ready to spill tears because of how wonderful of a job the VA for Chloe did. Also the shift to a darker tone while not an easy transition sells itself really well in letting you know something awful will occur. So what does EP4 stumble with? Well, for one, it's the least polished episode with numerous audio glitches, a broken time mechanic, and a certain sequence which really underwhelmed. But I do appreciate DontNod for adding to their gameplay by having Max do somewhat detective work even if it's just connect the dots esque. The music does not always hit the right notes, but when it does it keeps hounding you until the Episode has wrought you free of all your tear ducts. In many ways, Episode 4's shocking conclusion will set up to be what is most likely to be an ending for the ages in terms of video game storytelling. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2015
    Although there were some pacing issues near the middle, it was nothing to detract from the great story. It left me emotionally destroyed and that's ok.
  3. Aug 1, 2015
    Best episode so far, in my humble opinion. Pure emotional trip. The game still sins at times for being too simplistic in my opinion, but that's hard to avoid when you mix time travel with a teenage drama together. Still, a sharp 10 - if only for the absolutely incredible soundtrack (but for so much more)
  4. Sep 9, 2015
    This is the best game I've ever seen
    This game is worth 90
    It has drawbacks mainly lies in bugs
    And because of this I put 9
    Waiting for episode 5))))
  5. Feb 7, 2016
    Having just finished the game, I was like "WTF" at the end (even though I guessed half of the ending beforehand).

I really do not want to spoil anything in this review, I'll just say the following: - Some photos are really hard to get - It is by far the longest episode in the series so far - It nicely combines elements from previous episodes and brings something new to the table (not

- Some photos are really hard to get
    - It is by far the longest episode in the series so far
    - It nicely combines elements from previous episodes and brings something new to the table (not gonna tell you ... :))

- Certain portions of the story are kind of slow this time, though.
    - And there was no suspense moment throughout the episode, not counting the final scene.

So, I'd say it does not compare to the previous episodes.
    The first episode felt fresh and new and introduced all the characters and the premise of the story to us and did it in an amazing way that made me get interested in the whole plot. 9/10
    The second episode felt worse than the first one, but managed to get on the same level of the first one, as you could actually take part in the drama at the end of the second episode and the impact of your actions was really big. 9/10
    The third episode showed some new game play elements and the ending was simply amazing. 10/10
    The fourth episode follows in the footsteps of the third one, once again introducing some new game play elements and returning a few elements from other episodes, but fails in presenting any actually thrilling moment that you can have an impact on. Some puzzles are quite annoying and the middle part kind of drags on. 8/10

But, do not let that discourage you, it is still an amazing episode in an amazing series of games, it's just ... not as good as Episodes 1-3.
    I'm super excited for the final episode, though. It looks like things are going to get super interesting.

Update (07.02.16):
    Having replayed Episode 4 I decided to increase the score by one point. It is still the weakest of the episodes, but I have had my share of fun with Episode 4 after knowing what to do in several puzzles that are in this episode.
  6. Jul 29, 2015
    Life Is Strange: Episode 4 - Dark Room truly shows off how awesome this game series is. With a lot to live up with after Episode 3's ending, Dark Room makes Episode 3's ending seem like nothing. Without trying to spoil much, Episode 4 gives everything us fans of Life is Strange have been wanting. The story gives more depth in things like characters, story, graphics, gameplay, and broughtLife Is Strange: Episode 4 - Dark Room truly shows off how awesome this game series is. With a lot to live up with after Episode 3's ending, Dark Room makes Episode 3's ending seem like nothing. Without trying to spoil much, Episode 4 gives everything us fans of Life is Strange have been wanting. The story gives more depth in things like characters, story, graphics, gameplay, and brought out the worst and good in people. The story was a roller coaster of emotions through sadness, joy, anger, and sadness again. The ending left me shocked and gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Life is Strange: Episode 4 is an reason alone to buy the season pass to this game immediately. Good luck with episode 5 after what they have to live up with now. Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2015
    Life is Strange is hands down the best interactive story I played so far. It feels like it targets a specific "creative" crowd, but that doesn't make it unappealing to everyone else. The story is very engaging, at times dark, and in the course of 4 episodes it escalated to some really unexpected events. I would easily give it a 10, if it wasn't for some mildly annoying graphic bugs on PC.
  8. Oct 1, 2015
    “Nailbiter”
    While it struggles to balance its plot, mechanics and characters, Life is Strange's penultimate episode is a gripping, action-packed thrill ride with superb leading voice performances. There's a lot for the final episode to wrap up, but this is already the best adventure game in years.
  9. Jul 29, 2015
    The strongest episode in the series so far.
    It kicks off right away with an intense travel back to our reality and after a short buildup and some detective work it gets really really dark and darker.

That's been a really interesting and unique emotional experience
  10. Jul 28, 2015
    This episode is just amazing. Not only does it manage to surprise me at multiple points, but also they've improved lip-sync which was one of my biggest complaints before.
  11. Jul 28, 2015
    Just when I thought that video games can no longer affect me as they used to came Life is Strange (especially Ep 4). Yes, it is the most glitched episode (time mechanic, sound sync), but what a story!!! I've never been so shocked (even though what Dontnod did in the Ep 4 with story is what I suspected after previous episodes) as with this game. "Dark Room" certainly doesn't deserve 10/10,Just when I thought that video games can no longer affect me as they used to came Life is Strange (especially Ep 4). Yes, it is the most glitched episode (time mechanic, sound sync), but what a story!!! I've never been so shocked (even though what Dontnod did in the Ep 4 with story is what I suspected after previous episodes) as with this game. "Dark Room" certainly doesn't deserve 10/10, but for the first time I have to give such a mark. Unbelievably high bar is set for Dontnod and their final episode of Life is Strange. Expand
  12. Jul 31, 2015
    Best episode so far. Things are really heating up, going outside of the teenage drama and bringing serious emotions on the table. The pacing is perfect, and there's lot of new scenes and environment that this episode didn't feel just reusing the previous assets like others.
  13. Aug 25, 2015
    This is a highly entertaining game, and this was probably the most entertaining episode yet. Prior to this episode, the game felt like it didn't know what tone it was trying to go for, and a lot of the dialogue would just drag me out of the experience in a hilarious fashion (this is not a bad thing by the way). But this episode has a distinctly darker and more mature tone right from theThis is a highly entertaining game, and this was probably the most entertaining episode yet. Prior to this episode, the game felt like it didn't know what tone it was trying to go for, and a lot of the dialogue would just drag me out of the experience in a hilarious fashion (this is not a bad thing by the way). But this episode has a distinctly darker and more mature tone right from the get-go. The beginning of the episode had me feeling a whole mess of emotions, from depressed to bittersweet. Needless to say, it was the most affecting scene in the series so far. That said, some characters I find hard to connect with, so this dragged my experience down a bit. I am very excited for the fifth episode, and I can't wait to see what happens. Expand
  14. Oct 1, 2015
    This episode tripped me from mood to mood, from start to the end. So much feels included in this one.. So much. You'd never expect this ending coming, NEVER!
  15. Aug 30, 2015
    Knowing you have the ability to reverse time somewhat diminishes the impact of the final scene .. This episode has some interesting but fairly easy puzzles, but mostly propels the story forward in terms of what happened to Rachel and Kate, which had previously been side-stepped for another, more weirder narrative .. something about consequences and the butterfly effect? Now, it's all aboutKnowing you have the ability to reverse time somewhat diminishes the impact of the final scene .. This episode has some interesting but fairly easy puzzles, but mostly propels the story forward in terms of what happened to Rachel and Kate, which had previously been side-stepped for another, more weirder narrative .. something about consequences and the butterfly effect? Now, it's all about the end times and a dark conspiracy, which is kind of apt. Keen to see how this ends! Expand
  16. Aug 5, 2015
    Action disappeared, this time, and we've got more chit-chat. Some scenes were interesting, some puzzles were a bit difficult but Max helps us in a nice way (I mean : helping without giving everything in our hands). But, during the first half of this episode, I felt far very passive. It wasn't like this in the three previous episodes. The last part is really interesting, the atmosphere isAction disappeared, this time, and we've got more chit-chat. Some scenes were interesting, some puzzles were a bit difficult but Max helps us in a nice way (I mean : helping without giving everything in our hands). But, during the first half of this episode, I felt far very passive. It wasn't like this in the three previous episodes. The last part is really interesting, the atmosphere is great and I regret it wasn't like this all the time. The cliffhanger surprised me. Maybe some ones will "anticipate" it, but I was far from it...
    CCL : the longest and the less interesting episode of the season, at the moment. But it's still nice to play. I think this game will be better when everything will be finished, because we can do the entire season in one move (so, slower parts won't annoy us so much).
  17. Mar 17, 2020
    9.2/10
    9.2/10
    По причинам, произошедшим в третьем эпизоде, четвертый эпизод воспринимается как нечто новое, пусть и подобные сюжетные ходы уже успели набить оскомину. Ты словно смотришь на уже полюбившуюся историю совсем под другим углом. До середины эпизода создаётся ощущение, что он нагружает игрока скорее количеством событий, но не их качеством. Но в итоге в плане геймплея этот эпизод оказался самым разнообразным, на мой взгляд. Момент с расследованием получился действительно необычным и заставляет игрока пошевелить мозгами, а заодно и воспользоваться бумагой с ручкой. Более того, даже некоторые комбинации цифр, которые я выписывал на бумагу из эпизодов ранее, оказались не просто применимыми, но и полезными в данном эпизоде. А что сюжет? А сюжет напоминает игроку то, что эта игра, конечно, прежде всего про сюжет и есть, и последний час эпизода ощущается, как что-то действительно глубокое и интригующее и по-настоящему атмосферное.
  18. Nov 10, 2020
    Плюсы:
    - стало еще больше «детективщины». Впервые в рамках серии появляется сложный игровой отрезок, в котором минут 20 придется внимательно читать и комбинировать между собой ряд фотографий и документов.
    Плюсы:
    - перед тобой, пожалуй, единственная в мире игра, в которой частенько предоставляется возможность сесть на стул или на какой-нибудь пенек в парке и минут 10 наслаждаться виртуозной работой виртуального оператора. Ракурсы камеры неспешно сменяются, где-то на заднем фоне бренчит гитара, а ты впадаешь в состояние легкой нирваны.
    - помимо того, что Life is Strange - это просто очень красивая с эстетической точки зрения игра, каждая ее часть заставляет задуматься о нашей жизни: взаимоотношениях между людьми, о наших мелких и серьезных поступках, или, лучше сказать, ПРОступках. Она погружает в раздумья.
    - в четвертом эпизоде присутствуют моменты хорошего бодрого экшна, причем смотрятся они весьма эффектно.

Минус:
    - сугубо заскриптованные локации. Загрузка уровня происходит, даже если ты спускаешься по лестнице в пределах одного дома. Зато с какой любовью они сделаны! И насколько разнообразны. От залитого солнцем океанского побережья до прокуренных ночных клубов.
    Итог: The Dark Room - самый мрачный, темный, напряженный и интенсивный эпизод.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 29, 2015
    The episode starts with the narrative on hold. But when it reaches its middle point it gets on track and we can enjoy a long investigation all action and puzzles. Something happens, at last.
  2. Aug 17, 2015
    It shows the still known mechanical faults, but the story is worth every minute, as it sets the tone for a hopefully tense finale.
  3. Aug 12, 2015
    The cliffhanger The Dark Room finishes on opens a whole new can of worms, so to speak, while the more surreal questions remain unaddressed (what’s with the whales on the beach? The crazy weather? The nefarious Prescott family?). Finales can make or break a series and Life is Strange is precariously balanced.