8.2

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1915 Ratings

1. Aug 27, 2010
    Short. Played conservatively it only took a total of 8 hours to beat. And after that, there's just nothing to do. And I mean nothing as in the game ends. No free roaming the city. No conquering of territory. No wooing young ladies. Nothing. Just the "thanks for playing credits". What a let down. I was looking forward to this one. Sadly, I'll have to pass on their next game release becauseShort. Played conservatively it only took a total of 8 hours to beat. And after that, there's just nothing to do. And I mean nothing as in the game ends. No free roaming the city. No conquering of territory. No wooing young ladies. Nothing. Just the "thanks for playing credits". What a let down. I was looking forward to this one. Sadly, I'll have to pass on their next game release because now I feel sort of robbed.

On a side note, the graphics are nice and the gameplay mechanics are decent. I just wish there were more to it. I paid $50 but I think the game is only worth about $30 (and that's being generous).
  2. Sep 3, 2010
    Terrible, disappointing game, with poor story. Only graphic is good. After 10 hours of playing it i feel like taxi driver. Ohh im sorry, sometimes i can also "press a button". Extremely boring to play. Linear game - there's absolutely nothing to do beetween chapters.
  3. Mar 17, 2011
    This game, even though it it has only said to be "good not great," is far overrated. I found that the beginning was too easy, the middle was boring, repetitive and overly-linear with gunfights starting and ending from one piece of cover; and the end was die-a-thousand-deaths frustrating. The AI can almost always shoot you first.

Throughout the game, you don't get to make a single

Throughout the game, you don't get to make a single decision. You just watch while your character ruins his life and the lives of those around him. Yes, this is mob life but I would feel a little better about it if I had some say. On top of that, the game basically requires no thought on behalf of the player. The game is always telling you exactly what to do and where to go. It even gives you an NPC buddy on all the missions to guide you through the level. Just follow him through the levels and you'll never get lost. Oh, and he can't be killed. Use him as a bullet sponge.

Then there's the driving. Who wants to play a video game where you can get speeding tickets? Seriously? And hit and run fines? And whenever whassname is in the car and I run a red light he says "what do you have an aversion to red lights?" I don't play video games to wait in traffic!! I also came into this game hoping it would be a sandbox game. Just so you know, it is not. You do a mission, and you can either 1. drive around and, well, there's not really anything to do because there are no minigames, or 2. sleep and go to the next chapter. Which almost always starts with the phone ringing.

And another thing. There are times in the game where you lose all your money. More than one. So you save up all this cash, maybe you're looking to buy that special something, and boom. Gone. Yeah.

It's a good thing I only paid $7.50 for this game. Gotta love midweek madness on Steam.
  4. Feb 28, 2019
    The game that ruined the classic rock-and-roll and the "stylized" Mafia's stories. With checkpoints.
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    After getting out of the slammer, I decided to make some bucks. 1951, the world has changed, cars have changed, rock-and-roll, happy chicks on the streets, everything seemed to be JUST fine. I made ~ 4000 bucks at Bruski's then I decided to tune my Cossack. Spent all my f***ing money on this. So, I returned to Bruski's for another extremely boooring round of crashing cars. After that, I went to Vangel's to buy some fine clothes for the evening because Joe told me so. I bought the most expensive suit then, I saw a Potomac Indian parked on the streets. "Nice car for my collection", I said, "I must have one of these". So, I smashed its window and suddenly, out of nowhere, a police car SPAWNED. Evidently, I ran using horrible driving mechanics then, they caught me. I resisted arrest because, I didn't want my soiree spoiled by some goddamn street patrol, SPAWNED OUT OF NOWHERE. They started to fire, I started to fire, they won. Game reloaded. From Chapter's 7 start. ALL my extremely precious time wasted for nothing, because the idiots from 2K Czech decided to implement the worst save system that exists in the Universe, THE CHECKPOINT, in such an atrocious manner. For this particular kind of idiots, it simply doesn't matter. Your time and your patience. It matters more spreading their stupid faces around Empire Bay in 150 locations.
    Uninstalled it with light-speed. And the longest finger.

It'll take many rotations of Pluto around the Sun until the games developers will jettison such horrible, horrendous, atrocious, despicable save game system, the checkpoint. Your stupid game crashes, the goddamn power outage again, the player wants to pee or poo, the player wants to smoke a cigarette, the player wants to go to bed because it's goddamn 3 o'clock in the morning... the player wants to reload the game from HIS/HER last save, NOT YOURS.
    The player wants to spam the F5 key every 5s (reloading the guns in your stupid 3rd person shooter is the same, IF you didn't notice!!!) because he/she GAVE YOU MONEY. Real ones, from their bank cards, NOT from crashing cars at Bruski's.
    The player wants to play your stupid game in HIS/HER OWN WAY, NOT YOURS.

PS: Yeah, yeah, spare me about babbling nonsense "the system could be abused". With this kind of "creative" thinking, it'll take very short time until some "brilliant" developer (like yourself) will consider that "reloading the gun after few shots fired" will also "abuse the system".

PS = "Post-scriptum" NOT some antiquated piece of hardware.
  5. Sep 1, 2010
    Disappointing for fans of both mob stories and open world games. It's been said before but it bears repeating: you can not save your game and go explore the open world as you please. The game only saves at checkpoints, and if you die before the next checkpoint it drags you all the way back. Your weapons, money, outfits, etc are taken away from you every other mission. This is a linearDisappointing for fans of both mob stories and open world games. It's been said before but it bears repeating: you can not save your game and go explore the open world as you please. The game only saves at checkpoints, and if you die before the next checkpoint it drags you all the way back. Your weapons, money, outfits, etc are taken away from you every other mission. This is a linear story with the beautiful open world only there to make you forget you're driving the exact same route across town for the 50th time (there are what, a dozen destinations total?). Every once in a while I would spend my money on all of the guns and ammo available and soup up a nice vehicle, and try to cause a little chaos. Don't even bother. There is no dying and restarting at a hospital, and there is no getting arrested and going to jail. If either of those happen you're taken back to the last time the game decided to autosave-- often this is way further back than you thought. I've beaten a mission, been told to go home to sleep on my couch, gotten killed, and started back 2/3rds through my previous mission (usually a long driving trip ahead of me...). I don't want to come off as just trying to find problems, so I probably shouldn't mention the story. I will say that it was cliche and predictable (as many of these mob stories tend to be), and ultimately is rather fruitless. All the characters are forgettable to the point where they have to reintroduce them with your character exclaiming their name and a little exposition about what you should remember them by. This is really telling in a game that only take a day or so to beat (depending on how many times you turn off the game in disbelief because you died and went to a check point that was 10+ minutes ago). As far as the PC version itself, it appears fine to me. Graphics could be turned up to look stunning. I used a 360 controller and the buttons it showed on screen were the correct color (not sure if they just used common sense or if it adjusts to known controllers). I don't know that I encountered any bugs. Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2010
    Mafia II seems to have thrown out all that was good with the original, absorbed all that was bad about The Godfather and created a resource-hungry, cut-scene spamming monster.

Don't trust the trailers with the nice voice acting and cut-scenes. That is all the game has to it. The game play is virtually non-existent and completely linear. I would have given this a rating of 1 but there must be something worse out there. Surely?
  7. Aug 28, 2010
    Extremely disappointing!

Extremely disappointing!

The game focused heavily on graphics and sounds, and not so much on the story or game play. The city, characters and cars all looked good, each district felt and looked completely different, providing a nice environment for the city. Many of the nicer looking areas of the city were not essential to the story mode, leaving them unappreciated and un required really. I liked the ability to customise your character and cars, it added a nice touch to the game, even though there were not that many options, a minor problem that could easily be fixed by mods or DLC.

The Story of a young Italian going from war-hero to leading a life of crime, a story that was bursting with potential, but went no where. No "depth" given to the story left many things unanswered. The "ending" to Mafia 2 was probably the biggest disappointment the game had to offer. Looking past how the actual "story" was rushed along from chapter to chapter, the ending only showed you that little or no effort had been put into it.

A major let down was the lack of freedom that Mafia 2 offered. There are no side missions, no mini games, and no free-ride mode, offering little to no reason to replay this game. Restricting players to follow the story makes the "open world" a bit redundant. Ok you could drive around anywhere before or after the missions, but there was no reason to, nothing to do other than to take in the graphics of the city.

Missing features like shooting whilst driving and melee weapons, took out some of the "realism" of the mafia world. Hand to Hand combat had been greatly improved, but was only really needed during story elements, everyone else you just shot. Many reviews say that this is because its not like GTA, which is true, its not, but its not even like the first Mafia game anymore. I think that if Mafia 2 had been made by Rockstar Games, or had fixed the mistakes of Mafia, and added from there, this review would have been very different. To me it seems that 2K Games have destroyed a potentially great sequel, to a very good first game. DLC will probably be released for Mafia 2 to try to incorporate features that should have been in the game in the first place.

End Result - Disaster 1/10

Poor Game Play, Worst Story, No Replay Value, Far Too Short.
  8. Sep 1, 2010
    If you enjoy the following: Lots of long winded driving sections, race against time missions, basic fight mechanics of a 1980's arcade game, cars which handle like shopping trolleys with all the weight at the front, answering the telephone, a predictable story, a sandbox setting which is actually on rails, driving every where at 40kmh, a beautifully rendered city completely squandered,If you enjoy the following: Lots of long winded driving sections, race against time missions, basic fight mechanics of a 1980's arcade game, cars which handle like shopping trolleys with all the weight at the front, answering the telephone, a predictable story, a sandbox setting which is actually on rails, driving every where at 40kmh, a beautifully rendered city completely squandered, being ripped off... then get this game.

I thought gaming was slowly progressing beyond style over substance, Mafia II makes me think otherwise. I wish they could have made Mafia II the movie, because it would have saved me the depressing interaction.
  9. Sep 2, 2010
    That game could have been so much better. The graphics are really nice and even the characters and story are, for about the first hour. Later you will notice how unfinished and unbalanced the story and the characters are. There isn't even much gameplay. What's the point of a mission in that all you've got to do ist press one button to pick something up? Everywhere in Empire Bay you kan seeThat game could have been so much better. The graphics are really nice and even the characters and story are, for about the first hour. Later you will notice how unfinished and unbalanced the story and the characters are. There isn't even much gameplay. What's the point of a mission in that all you've got to do ist press one button to pick something up? Everywhere in Empire Bay you kan see how much they cut off. From the story, the gameplay and all the details like a traffic system that could have made Mafia 2 a good game. There are even NO Side Missions in the game, even the guys from 2k said there will be lots of them, there are still the guys who should give you that mission but who never have any job for you to do. 2K killed Mafia. And you can see in almost every aspect of the game, that the lead designer and story author already left the team 2 years before Mafia 2 got "finnished" Expand
  10. Sep 2, 2010
    As far as a linear movie game goes, it's great. Good controls, challenging but not frustrating combat, but it's not the game I was expecting when I bought it. This release seems to be formulated entirely to sell DLC. On the one hand there's a large, detailed open world, on the other hand there's absolutely nothing to do in it outside of the 6-10 hours of story missions. The only realAs far as a linear movie game goes, it's great. Good controls, challenging but not frustrating combat, but it's not the game I was expecting when I bought it. This release seems to be formulated entirely to sell DLC. On the one hand there's a large, detailed open world, on the other hand there's absolutely nothing to do in it outside of the 6-10 hours of story missions. The only real reason to rob stores or scrap/export stolen cars is for the steam achievements. The story missions provide you with everything you need from the get-go. Lo and behold, it turns out that 2K Czech has a ton of completed sandbox content they simply chose not to release with the box copy. You'll be buying it in DLC format at $10 a pop. If you're after a sandbox wait a year and buy the bundle with DLC for half the price. Expand
  11. Sep 3, 2010
    Total waste of time and money but its pretty!
    Review by : Kaldire Mafia 2 is nothing like its predecessor. In fact it doesnt even hold a glimmer or visage of the expansive world that used to be called Mafia.
    There are no side quests and the open world is shut down on you so that there is nothing to do at all, save for collecting 2 item sets that do nothing anyway. In an era where we have
    Total waste of time and money but its pretty!
    In an era where we have such open worlds, its impossible for me to fathom why the creators didn't make more content within this beautiful game.

Also the fact that the game is SO very short, 5-7 hours on (even the hardest) was a major let down
    the time you do spend in those few hours are usually chores and drive to X back to Y then home again all the way across zzzzzzzz....sorry where was I?

The game is really only about 5 hours of game play if you skip the cut scenes, 6-7 if you don't(triple the time for getting 2 pointless object fetches that do nothing in game.

No multiplayer and no DLC in the works again save for one that will add 10 minutes to game play for 10$ No online interaction whatsoever, no reasons to buy clothes to do anything in this game but the quests given to you. SO MUCH WASTED SPACE in this game

The AI of the enemy be police or mobster needs fixed asap as this game is totally unplayable. Though some of the bugs did have a plus.. like watching the police ram into a gas station, killing ten wee!

The only thing that saved this game was the scenery and voice acting which itself is not enough to hold a game together.

Its like owning a really beautiful world in a snow globe... you can look at it but when you try to interact, all you can do is just watch. I for one will never say I'm the proud owner of this game and I've spent a lot of time with it and waiting for it.

I for one will not recommend this game to anyone...in fact steer very clear until the price drop, and there WILL be one. All those are giving this decent scores need to play the game fully not for 10 min and go WOW..
    really play the game then compare it to other open world titles and you will see this is an epic fail with an awesome soundtrack and cool voice overs.

other than that.. run far.. run fast..
  12. Sep 1, 2010
    I give one just for the story. Other "features" seems uncompleted. Ending - Poor, Graphics - average, No game after story - WTF?! - No MP - oh no, Short story - np, you can buy new DLC for 10 bucks and a lot of another bad things...
  13. Aug 4, 2013
    Not enough stuff to do for it to be considered a sandbox game. The story is horrible, and the ending is such a pile that it's hysterical, especially with how serious they try to make it. Hey, you know this character you don't care about at all? He's dead. Sick dude, pan to the skyscrapers on a rainy night and cue the music. Hackneyed trash. The gameplay's alright, nothing great, nothingNot enough stuff to do for it to be considered a sandbox game. The story is horrible, and the ending is such a pile that it's hysterical, especially with how serious they try to make it. Hey, you know this character you don't care about at all? He's dead. Sick dude, pan to the skyscrapers on a rainy night and cue the music. Hackneyed trash. The gameplay's alright, nothing great, nothing bad, but definitely not enough to get rid of the sour taste this game left me with.

Play the original Mafia instead. It's better.
  14. Jan 26, 2011
    I literally just made an account so I could rag on this POS of a game. I have never in my life played a game yet that I felt that I have had to tell people just how pointless it is to buy!. First off, if u do not have gta4... get that over this $*^@(*#$^ game. u might as well just go buy a friggn mafia movie and watch it anyways. The main thing that I am getting on 2 tell u about it theI literally just made an account so I could rag on this POS of a game. I have never in my life played a game yet that I felt that I have had to tell people just how pointless it is to buy!. First off, if u do not have gta4... get that over this $*^@(*#$^ game. u might as well just go buy a friggn mafia movie and watch it anyways. The main thing that I am getting on 2 tell u about it the )*&%@#*($&) cops in this game. There is literally 1 every friggn block WTF!!! that isnt even realistic in real life u (*$&@*(# d bag programmers )*&#$)*@&#()* u guys ruined the game right there. Pretty much u cant do anything bad... NOT EVEN SPEED without gettting tailed. Then of course u have to lose the fuzz before u can even start the mission, and u had better not die bc u r going to end up right back at the beggining of the ()*$&@*(#&(@* chapter bc 4 some reason this game will never let u save ur ()$&@()&#$()@ progress!!!!! The handling of the cars is i guess pretty accurate bc u they sure dont handle 4 crap.... which means u r def going to run in2 crap and of course get tailed whereever u need to go. Its funny how the game puts ssooooooo much emphasis on driving across the entire )*$&@*(#& city to do missions, so it takes forever just for the driving, and yet u have to do the driving correctly or u r 100% guaranteed to get a cop on u!!! Then of course u have to pass ur destination up 2 lose the (&$@()# cops, also chances r those cops will end up killing u or making u wreck ur piss poor handling car and die.... and dont 4get since the )($&@()#$ game wouldnt let u save anything... so u just wasted 10 min and have to start from the begging again and skip evvvvvvvery cut scene.... drive alllllll over the pos city just 2 get 2 destination.... and dont 4get u have to drive slow and hit nothing so the )*$&@*)$ cop at every corner doesnt start tailing u AND then u reapeat the same )*$&@*(#&@(_#&@()୊ CYCLE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!! r u ssssssseeeeeinnngggg where I am coming from..... If i knew just 1 of the developers 4 this game i would drag him in2 the )(&$@()&$() street and run his )*($&@()&#$()@&$)( d bag self over with a 1950s chev pickup... then mayb just mayb.... i would feel that i got my moneys worth out of this worthless game!!!! sad thing is I got it on the steam sale at 12 bux and I still feel like i have been ripped off!!!!!!! $)&@*)$*@()$&@*()#&@(*#()@#*&@()*#&@*(#&@) dont buy this game!!!!!! worthless!!!!!! Expand
  15. Aug 27, 2010
    This game is very weak. Great graphic and sound is not everything, poor story, dialogs and characters, very boring game play and no fun from shooting or riding a car. This game is nice on the first look but then about 1-2 hours of playing comes very disappointing moment of truth. This is not Mafia sequel, this is some outstanding position with no spirit of this old great game. I'm veryThis game is very weak. Great graphic and sound is not everything, poor story, dialogs and characters, very boring game play and no fun from shooting or riding a car. This game is nice on the first look but then about 1-2 hours of playing comes very disappointing moment of truth. This is not Mafia sequel, this is some outstanding position with no spirit of this old great game. I'm very sad, I was waiting for this game long time and now I must say, that I was waiting for nothing special. Just another shooting game.
    PS. Game is having huge requirements so You have to have great computer to run this game in decent frame rate.
  16. Sep 4, 2010
    to easy to win, to short (only about 9 or 10 hours), no free savegames, only about 30 different cars (and trucks), no additional missions, a very small city, a real bad gps/satnav, stupid enemies, no free-ride

to expensive (5â
  17. Dec 17, 2010
    Boring, repetitive, no free roaming, cheesy story line. How worse could it get? It doesn't have that feeling that made Mafia 1 a great success, It's just terrible, one play through is all you need to throw this game away and regret buying it.
  18. Sep 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I find it hard to believe that anybody offering positive reviews of this game has actually completed the game. The abrupt ending completely ruined the whole experience for me. Definitely one for the bargain bin. Expand
  19. Sep 7, 2010
    The graphics are mind blowing and the physx effects are very well done and Empire Bay is flawlessly and beautifully rendered and the voice acting is superb, sounds like the perfect recipe for a classic right ? but no, 2k had every element going right for them and they ruined the opportunity drastically, most of the time you just drive linearly from one place to another over and over andThe graphics are mind blowing and the physx effects are very well done and Empire Bay is flawlessly and beautifully rendered and the voice acting is superb, sounds like the perfect recipe for a classic right ? but no, 2k had every element going right for them and they ruined the opportunity drastically, most of the time you just drive linearly from one place to another over and over and over again, it gets silly after a while and this time around there is even a gps decided route that you have to follow, so it even takes away the decision of thinking while driving, Sure the first few missions are awesome when you get the feel of the game, but when you are asked to clean toilets, sell cigarettes and drive like a cabbie, you feel like you've had enough. The plot is okay and it could have been good if they didn't set the climax like they did, it was absolutely idiotic, I honestly felt there was atleast 5 more chapters when the credits started rolling, and what more once you finish the game, THATS IT, you cant even go back to explore, what a way to waste such a beautiful city !!!
    The soundtrack and the radio setting is good, and like you can see when the game is analysed every element is done not too badly, but the core of the game is taken away and there is just the story and even the character depth is not too good, Vito and Joe are two goons and nothing more, not as respectful as tommy angelo from the original game..

Wait for the game to get to the bargain bin to experience its pros..
    It wont take long anyway..
  20. Sep 29, 2010
    It looks nice, but it is badly broken for several reasons. One is the save method: I had do shutdown my computer and then had to sit through 15 Min of cut-scene again and 15 minutes of lost game play. That is just not acceptable. This is supposed to be entertainment, and when it forces you to play on, it does something fundamentally wrong. Then there is the incredible arrogant andIt looks nice, but it is badly broken for several reasons. One is the save method: I had do shutdown my computer and then had to sit through 15 Min of cut-scene again and 15 minutes of lost game play. That is just not acceptable. This is supposed to be entertainment, and when it forces you to play on, it does something fundamentally wrong. Then there is the incredible arrogant and greed-driven DLC issue, i.e. you do not get a complete game, but one with major features removed. It is also far too short.

If you enjoyed Mafia 1 (and I did, tremendously), don't buy this thing. It is not for you.
  21. Oct 6, 2010
    Short gameplay, linear storyline doesn't allow free roaming. The plot is weak, I felt hardly attached to the characters, half way through I gave up remembering who is who. Definitely not worth the price.
  22. Oct 21, 2013
    With its strict linear nature there is next to no replay value, unless you want to collect Playboy bunny pictures. The sad part of all of this is that there is a good game lost inside the driving, the save checkpoints, and the silly time wasting missions.
  23. Dec 13, 2013
    The story line was mediocre, but passable. Character build was average. Driving was simply terrible, the car was ridiculously hard to control and the other drivers on the road where clearly blind 5 year-olds, I would be driving in middle of my lane when a car would come besides me and indicate to change lanes right into me!
    What would makes things worse is that the police would say they
    What would makes things worse is that the police would say they had seen a hit and run and try to bust me. Average game. Exrmeley glad I did not actually pay for this game.
  24. Aug 28, 2010
    the game get's 2 for a petty display of drama and the not so fun part of being a mobster.. YES the part that is borring. Next to the fact that you're basicly only driving from place to place till you're lucky enough to engage in a shoot out, which is fully linear, you have only one choice thus being to take cover, shoot and push forward. Now this could be fun if the whole shooting wouldn'tthe game get's 2 for a petty display of drama and the not so fun part of being a mobster.. YES the part that is borring. Next to the fact that you're basicly only driving from place to place till you're lucky enough to engage in a shoot out, which is fully linear, you have only one choice thus being to take cover, shoot and push forward. Now this could be fun if the whole shooting wouldn't be soo boring. Yes you can shoot trough wood.. well some wood, you can't shoot trough wooden crates or anything so that's a let down. Not as much action or fun as Mafia was. Really the story is terrible in comparison. In the first one you were happy when you stopped being a cab driver because the driving annoyed you. Now you are the cabdriver all day long. The chases are not fun. the shooting is easy and borring. You have no choices in the whole game. The most fun thing in this game must be to drive cars from the 50s. The fistfighting is only happening a few times and it's only 1 vs 1 as the other 3 friends won't attack you. It's also really annoying and not really fun either. Realy this game sucks. I wish I wouldn't have payed or just bought the hitman saga again.. at least there you don't have to deal with costumization that shouldn't rbe there in the first place.. it's like a short GTA4 1950s mod with worse driving. Expand
  25. Sep 5, 2010
    Don't waste your money. Not worth more than $10 in the bargin bin.
    The only reason its worth that is for the pretty environment and acting.
    Don't waste your money. Not worth more than $10 in the bargin bin.
    The only reason its worth that is for the pretty environment and acting.
    There is no interaction with the world, no choices to be made and little gameplay. What gameplay that is there is short and boring. It would have actually been better if they removed the gameplay entirely and just sold it as an animated movie to watch.
    So Kudos to the world creators and shame on the team in charge of making it a 'game'.
    Buy at your own risk.
  26. Oct 3, 2010
    Short, un-original and frankly quite boring story, stale environment and paid for "DLC" which appears to be content that was removed during development. Mafia 2 doesn't have a patch on the original game, or it's closest rival GTA4.

Avoid this one.
  27. Dec 17, 2012
    Driving-driving-driving-cutscene-driving-driving-driving-driving-cutscene-driving-driving-cutscene-driving-shooting-driving-driving-driving-driving-cutscene-shooting-driving-driving-driving-cutscene-driving-shooting-driving-driving-shooting-driving-driving-cutscene-driving-driving....oh and driving is terrible
  28. Feb 1, 2011
    For me this is the biggest gaming let down of 2010. The game's story and missions are easy and largly forgettable, the characters are all unlikable which means you don't really care what happens to them. But what really grates is that when you do complete the game, which won't take long at all, thats it, nothing else to do. There is no unlocks, no free ride mode, nothing. TheFor me this is the biggest gaming let down of 2010. The game's story and missions are easy and largly forgettable, the characters are all unlikable which means you don't really care what happens to them. But what really grates is that when you do complete the game, which won't take long at all, thats it, nothing else to do. There is no unlocks, no free ride mode, nothing. The developers spent years creating a nice city then give you no reason or chance to explore it. This game has absolulty no replay value whatsoever. If you do want to expand the game you have to pay for the "privilige" by buying the DLC which I won't do out of principle (that goes for all games). The original Mafia is one of my all time favorite games and it was way better than GTA3 (which was its closest comparison at the time) in every department. I'm not a GTA fanboy at all, believing 3 to San Andreas to be overrated in the extreme, but GTA 4 which if you like it or not, is comparable, beats Mafia2 hands down.

This game is only worth buying if you value nice graphics above all else, or your into '50's/'60's Playboy covers. And oh yeah, you get to kill Tommy Angelo.
  29. Sep 17, 2010
    This game gets a 0 because you cant even start it normally.

This game gets a 0 because you cant even start it normally.

Well i got the ATI 4870 X2 Sapphire and this game do not even work when you start the demo because the developers are retarded who cant understand there is people with ATI out there so they made a Nvidia drives to the game. so the game starts to use your CPU instead of your GPU...= laggggg laggg freeze screen crash. So i dont realy feel like paying for this game if i cant use the product. To all ATI players out there. try demo and if it **** up..well thats what you also get when you pay for the game. same problem. i am sooo happy i didt buy this game.
  30. Aug 26, 2010
    After waiting years from the release of mafia one to mafia 2, Mafia 2 left me pretty disappointed i am not even sure i will even finish the game. The story might be great but how do you bring WORSE gameplay than mafia one to mafia two years later escapes me.

I will give a nice 3 for the story, because the gameplay just by itself i would try to figure out a negative rating to it...
  31. Jun 11, 2013
    mafia 2 is a nice game. its not amazing but its fun. the art in the game is cool and feels like the time. the voice acting is also pretty good. all the systems( car feel, stealth, combat, shooting mechanics) are pretty standard. those mechanics get a bit repetetive, mainly the driving, because A LOT OF THE GAME IS DRIVING. IF YOU DONT LIKE DRIVING DONT BUY THIS GAME. the game has too muchmafia 2 is a nice game. its not amazing but its fun. the art in the game is cool and feels like the time. the voice acting is also pretty good. all the systems( car feel, stealth, combat, shooting mechanics) are pretty standard. those mechanics get a bit repetetive, mainly the driving, because A LOT OF THE GAME IS DRIVING. IF YOU DONT LIKE DRIVING DONT BUY THIS GAME. the game has too much driving and there is no fast travel system. the game doesnt have enough shooting and it has too much fighting. another problem is that some mission feel really lame and they feel like fetchquests. the game has a good open world, but theres nothing to do in it exept driving.another huge problem is the save system. THE SAVE SYSTEM IS JUST CRAP!!!. its way too punishing.
    the games story is pretty good. you care for the characters. the game has a really cool cinematic feel.
    this is a nice game. its strongest part is its story. while the gameplay isnt balanced, its still fun.
  32. Dec 31, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First Mafia is a great game. The second part, however, far below their qualities. Downloadable content is an unmitigated disaster. The game is stripped to the bone. Score (3.5) Expand
  33. Sep 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The concept is really nice, tough a few things missing, which ruins the game.

You cant really do anything in the city, more than stealing cars, buying cloth and kill people.
    Buying houses, getting your hair cut etc. is not possible, and there's alot more you expect, but you'll get disappointed.

6 hours of playing and already completed the whole game, after that theres nothing left to do, it just ends.

thankfully i didnt buy the game and played at a friends, otherwise i would feel robbed.
  34. Jul 27, 2014
    Patch custom keys so users can set keys to how they want them. This is a common problem many are facing and a patch was never released for it. Crouch cannot be set to shift. etc. Forced to use default keys makes this very uncomfortable to play.
  35. Aug 6, 2013
    Awful, terrible save points and boring as hell. I feel sorry for anyone that paid for this. Mafia II the movie, because it would have saved me the depressing interaction A game filled with nothing to do. The game developers have crafted a large and well-designed city. However, there's almost nothing to do beyond driving from mission to mission. The combat is a generic third-person coverAwful, terrible save points and boring as hell. I feel sorry for anyone that paid for this. Mafia II the movie, because it would have saved me the depressing interaction A game filled with nothing to do. The game developers have crafted a large and well-designed city. However, there's almost nothing to do beyond driving from mission to mission. The combat is a generic third-person cover based shooter which we've all seen before. The game's pace is slow, and with nothing beyond doing story missions there's little depth here or free-roaming. The story and voice-acting is fine, but it's not enough to prop up an ultimately boring game Expand
  36. Jul 19, 2014
    Nowhere near as fun as the first Mafia game, there don't appear to be any free-roaming games. The game is horribly 100% linear which is daft for an open-world game.

You can't quick-save and although some of the missions are multi-part if you die, you go a long long way back to the start of the mission, really annoying. The game is dull in colour and dull in gameplay. Driving is

The game is dull in colour and dull in gameplay. Driving is dreadful, it's absolutely not fun, I don't care about realism, just being able to control a car reasonably well. There are also some really tedious aspects like having to open the wardrobe, select a suit, a navigate your way down the hall, down the stairs etc before the start of every mission, very tedious.

I picked up this game cheap but it wasn't worth it, I stopped playing at most a quarter way through.
  37. Feb 26, 2016
    Just like the first one, it SUCKS. Developers lied again. This game is not a sandbox because there is nothing to do. You can shoot people and police thats everything you can do and physics are also bad. Main protagonist is stupid and unlikeable just like everyone in this game except for Joe.
  38. Jun 16, 2020
    Mafia 2 is a game that gets you in the world of Italian crime families and it does it quite good but there are a lot of things that could have been done better...

-Annoying cops.... I feel like every time I want to do something, the cops are always around the darn corner and start chasing me.... Being chased on red lights and after being hit by a car, the cops always start to annoy

-Annoying cops....
    Being chased on red lights and after being hit by a car, the cops always start to annoy the hell out of me...
    -The handling on certain vehicles is awful...
    -The traffic is bad...
    -Poor melee combat
    -Fuel required for cars
    -Not much side stuff to do....
    -The story
    I liked it and it started on the right foot but as chapters were changing, I did not see anything real happen until like more than half into the game...
    Some missions were really boring and to add the cops I mentioned before....
    The gas stamps mission for an example... Not only there are no checkpoints, there is a time limit and every time I get chased by them I have to restart to do it right...
    The game`s story was not immersive enough and it ended rather quickly...
    At the end I was like : Is that it ???
    Not even free roaming ??? WTF Why was that even added ???
    A lot of people were trashing Mafia 3 but that game had a lot improved...
    If I compare a similar game, The Godfather 2, I would recommend that instead of Mafia 2...
    The atmosphere was captured well (culture, music, cars, society...)
    M 2 is a solid game but not enough for me to remember it and replay it...

Generally favorable reviews - based on 46 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 12, 2011
    The combination of the ancient control mechanics, odd pacing and lack of real world entertainment drag the game down and seriously decreased my enjoyment of Mafia II. Still, it's worth a playthrough if you just adore mafia games and have a solid PC build to take it on.
  2. Dec 20, 2010
    I walked into my experience of Mafia II with no real expectations other than hearing my colleague's praise. What I walked away with after playing through the story was a sense of awe and amazement that I haven't had since Alan Wake.
  3. PC Format
    Dec 20, 2010
    A well-rendered world, with a well-realised story, though without as much actual gaming as we'd hoped there'd be. [Issue#244, p.81]