7.3

1. Nov 7, 2019
    Thank you William.
    We live in a world where we have to quantify an artistic vision and give it marks out of ten which in this instance is totally unfair. If you are any way interested at all in a game that challenges how we perceive our four dimensional space time continuum on a two dimensional screen, then this is the one for you.
    This is however also a puzzle game, and it is in this
    Thank you William.
    This is however also a puzzle game, and it is in this that I am marking it an 8/10.
    Like Manifold Garden itself this is a game of multiple planes:
    There are some beautiful eureka moments that is characteristic of all excellent puzzle games, but on the flip side, some puzzles leave a sense of having to grind out a solution. There is a freedom to explore any surface, and to fall freely through "space" without fear of death, and to arrive back where you started from, but on the flip side the infinite regression of the World within Manifold Gardens is also restrictive and repetitive. There is a magical beautiful side to the game, but on the flip side it is all hard edges and loneliness. At its best, the game is uplifting rewarding and visually stunning, at its worst it's a puzzle game in search of a puzzle.
    Ultimately, you have to bow in deep respect and awe at the completeness of this immersive complex World, to drink in its majesty and get lost in its mysteries.
    Highly recommended.
  2. Feb 26, 2020
    It has one good idea around its gravity and mirror world, but it is not enough to make this a good enjoyable puzzle game, there should have been more to draw you in
  3. Oct 23, 2019
    A beautiful and unique game. You explore Escher-like worlds that defy logic. Fall through crazy architecture infinitely, and solve puzzles by shifting gravity. Levels that loop back on themselves and into other levels. Very unique, great atmosphere. Some puzzles are a bit tough but overall it isn't a punishing game.
  4. Nov 27, 2020
    What can say? Pretty "meh" in my opinion. I tried it and it was like "whatever"
  5. Nov 6, 2019
    Such an amazingly mind-bending and awe-inspiring game. At around 3-4 hours for the first playthrough it doesn't overstay its welcome, and for people wanting to discover all of the secrets there's also enough content to at least double that time. Also, be prepared to say "woah" a lot.
  6. Oct 23, 2019
    Been eagerly anticipating this game and finally it's here! It's both exactly what I expected, and not at all what i expected. Somewhere around the first hour-mark of playing it, I went from, "Well, this is nice enough, I guess," to "Wow. This is an artistic vision."

It's delightful and polished and beautiful. The puzzles are interesting, and, well, give you something to DO while you experience all these worlds. Haven't finished it yet, but the little successes so far are satisfying and just right.

It is certainly in a similar quadrant to Antichamber, but with a perhaps even less explicit but more intentional thought-palette. (Also has a kind of 70s vibe to it that I cannot quite put my finger on.)

Spend some time there. Tasty.
  7. Feb 3, 2020
    Manifold Garden is an experience unlike any other. Where Anti-Chamber bends the rules of space and logic for mind-bending puzzles, Manifold Garden's focus is on beauty, pacing, and your experience... and what an experience it is. A complete experience with compression and release, dread and beauty, then capitalized upon with fantastic music and a satisfying end. That this game's end is soManifold Garden is an experience unlike any other. Where Anti-Chamber bends the rules of space and logic for mind-bending puzzles, Manifold Garden's focus is on beauty, pacing, and your experience... and what an experience it is. A complete experience with compression and release, dread and beauty, then capitalized upon with fantastic music and a satisfying end. That this game's end is so satisfying and significant is amazing since there are no characters, story, or narrative. Just colors and shapes in a void. Expand
  8. Nov 3, 2020
    This game has a concept so different to, basically, everything I've ever played. The aesthetic is amazing, and kinda reminds me to another puzzle game, Antichamber, so I started playing thinking it would be something similar to that game. To my surprise, as I said, is a whole different thing. The game immerses you into this universe in which every piece of it's intricate architecture isThis game has a concept so different to, basically, everything I've ever played. The aesthetic is amazing, and kinda reminds me to another puzzle game, Antichamber, so I started playing thinking it would be something similar to that game. To my surprise, as I said, is a whole different thing. The game immerses you into this universe in which every piece of it's intricate architecture is repeated infinitely, and its main big mechanic is that gravity can be changed depending on the pov of the player. There's no up or down.

The puzzles can be kinda overwhelming, especially at first. That's because, unlike the typical linear puzzle games that have very marked limits, you can go ANYWHERE in the map IN EVERY direction possible, so you need to find where to go and you will maybe get lost until you realize what to do. And as ive seen in youtube videos, there's more than one way to solve a puzzle which is a cool thing.
    Another aspect I really liked is the music, it's beautiful and goes hand to hand with the aesthetics.

If I had to pick something I didn't like too much, it's the puzzles involving those giant colored blocks. they doesn't make you feel you are in control of them, and is very tiresome to wait till you finally stack them well. The other puzzle mechanics (the trees, the cubes, water, non euclidean geometry, etc) are really good.

I feel this review is kinda rushed but I recommend the game to everyone that likes to discover new experiences and ways to play.
  9. Dec 18, 2020
    This game didn't really keep my interest. Feels way overrated than it should be.
  10. Dec 18, 2020
    Meh story, weak animations, it's just whatever. Wouldn't recommend in all honesty. But that's just me and i like quality.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 9, 2020
    The only negative I could give is that the game often clips between sound files quite abruptly when you transition between rooms, opting to go without a cross-fade between tracks. This stands out in a game that is otherwise highly polished towards its very focused experience. Though it is brief, with my playthrough taking 3 hours, Manifold Garden has taken root as one of my favourite game experiences this year.
  2. Oct 30, 2020
    Manifold Garden offers an unusual gaming experience, with a good set of puzzle challenges surrounding its incredible impossible architectural universe.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Dec 5, 2019
    There are no 'game over's, only a zen-like cycle until you are enlightened enough to progress beyond it. [Issue#340, p.11]