- Publisher: Active Gaming Media Inc. , Active Gaming Media
- Release Date: Mar 4, 2016
- Also On: PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
- Summary: Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight explores a cursed land in decline. Evil spreads, the dead rise, and corruption reigns. Hope is but a faded memory for all but one, a priestess named Kaho from the village of Lun. An audience with her majesty, the queen, would surely save the land--butMomodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight explores a cursed land in decline. Evil spreads, the dead rise, and corruption reigns. Hope is but a faded memory for all but one, a priestess named Kaho from the village of Lun. An audience with her majesty, the queen, would surely save the land--but time is short and each night darker than the last. … Expand
- Developer: Bombservice
- Genre(s): Action, Action Adventure, General, Platformer, Open-World, Metroidvania
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 4 out of 5
Mixed: 1 out of 5
Negative: 0 out of 5
Apr 11, 2016Momodora: Revere Under Moonlight is a fantastic game, wonderfully animated, rich with accurate and sharp controls, and a worthy successor to the heyday of platformer gaming.
Pelit (Finland)Sep 28, 2016A beautiful action-platformer. It’s short and sweet but the game feels bigger than it actually is. [Aug 2016]
Mar 15, 2016Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight is a good action platform game with metroidvania classics' essence. Its art style is amazing.
Sep 17, 2016The Castlevania series is something of a comfort food for me, and any game that can properly emulate what it does gets my recommendation. Predictable as it may be, Reverie is the tight, efficient, and beautiful work from someone who knows the subgenre well. I may even go check out the other three now.
Mar 17, 2016Momodora is a good metroidvania. It doesn't really offer something new, but for those who can't get enough of this genre, it's a solid choice.
Positive: 16 out of 18
Mixed: 2 out of 18
Negative: 0 out of 18
Aug 18, 2016Provalvemente este é um dos melhores jogos atuais em 2d(8bits) criado. Muita qualidade embutida nas animações e jogabilidade muito simples. AProvalvemente este é um dos melhores jogos atuais em 2d(8bits) criado. Muita qualidade embutida nas animações e jogabilidade muito simples. A dificuldade do jogo é muito bem definida.… Expand
Jul 7, 2020Momodora é um metroidvania espetacular, o jogo acerta em tudo que tenta, graficos lindos e animação fluida, combate interessante, mapaMomodora é um metroidvania espetacular, o jogo acerta em tudo que tenta, graficos lindos e animação fluida, combate interessante, mapa gigantesco, diversas areas, muitos itens.
Momodora é um metroidvania completo que recomendo a todos que se interessem pelo genero… Expand
Feb 8, 2017So... The words "Dark Souls Clone" are thrown around a lot,
but since this is a 2D game, I'm going to put in a "Castlevania Clone" clauseSo... The words "Dark Souls Clone" are thrown around a lot,
but since this is a 2D game, I'm going to put in a "Castlevania Clone" clause here, instead.
The game does invoke very direct "Inspirations" from the game (Castlevania) and you don't see Konami putting those out anymore, so this is the best you can get until then.
Momodora is a great game (Momodora 4? Prequel Momodora?), and while it isn't too difficult, it provides just the right amount of fun and challenge to keep powering through it. When the boss you're facing is too tough, just go to unexplored areas and grind, right?
This mentality will get you sweeping through the game. The story is told through talking to others, as you play a silent protagonist- though, others can hear them and you can give brief answers at times. Sounds familiar, again?
The story is vague though understandable, the protagonist is silent but your choices through her propell certain characters a certain way, etc. So, you can see why I said "Dark Souls Clone".
The NPCs and bossesin this game are numerous, and a few of them are even funny and fun to fight, while others will be a bit on the annoying side- not difficulty wise, just mechanic-wise.
The game has a hard time toward the end-game of knowing how to handle an overpowered player, since it was also made for someone who didn't get all the powerups, that is- all the way up until the final boss, which is how it should be.
Conclusively, this game is awesome, so get it.… Expand
Jan 8, 2020A nice light Metroidvania for those who can't get enough of the genre. It's not super long, but it is paced just right for an indie game. TheA nice light Metroidvania for those who can't get enough of the genre. It's not super long, but it is paced just right for an indie game. The game definitely feels a bit "sped up" compared to typical Metroidvania games, as it throws you straight into the action and has you explore around to defeat bosses.
The game doesn't really have much in the way of a story except for ambiguous dialogue hinting at one. The map is semi-linear and forks off a few times, but unlike games like Bloodstained, doesn't have any secrets that warrant you having to use a guide to find everything. The spike traps are a bit goofy and do frustrate you a little when you're trying to rush through areas. The bosses themselves aren't super difficult, and a few of them can be easily defeated by just kiting with your bow. The cat mechanic was actually done properly unlike the wolf mechanic in Symphony of the Night.
Overall, even if this review may sound a bit simplistic, the atmosphere and feel of the game is just right. The game definitely does Metroidvania justice, and I would recommend everyone to play it if they like the genre. A solid 8 from me.… Expand
Aug 4, 20194 hours of fun. Great music, great visuals, but too short and has difficulty balance issues.
In hard difficulty, after 30 minutes of dying4 hours of fun. Great music, great visuals, but too short and has difficulty balance issues.
In hard difficulty, after 30 minutes of dying in tutorial section(she dies quickly), i switched to normal difficulty and finished it that way(dark souls vet here).
It was even hard that way, but some bosses died very easily.
I enjoyed my time(thanks to gamepass), and recommend it to metroidvania fans.… Expand
Jan 14, 2017A beaufiful old-school metroidvania-ish, which I definitely recommend but with one large disclaimer.
This is an old-schoold metroidvania:A beaufiful old-school metroidvania-ish, which I definitely recommend but with one large disclaimer.
This is an old-schoold metroidvania: it doesn't introduce any innovation in the genre, and/or uses super-tricky passages (see Ori, or Guacamelle), but it has tight controls and smooth playthrough - very similar to Axiom Verge.
- GREAT atmosphere; although cartoonish, it's quite dark and sad
- as a metroidvania, I think the areas are well designed, and you won't waste time backtracking [just a little].
- I felt very eager to explore and I never got bored until the end (which instead, happened with Axiom Verge in the last stage)
- great controls; I never wanted to smash the pad into the screen (ahem, Axiom Verge's grapple...)
- for some reason, the game gives me a vague Castlevania SOTN feeling
- it's quite short (~5 hours in easy mode)
- as a metroidvania, it's lacking in character capabilities; you start straight away with double jump, and the only extra capability you get is transforming into a cat. the architecture at the very end is quite linear (I liked it regardless); Axiom Verge is definitely significantly deeper in this regard
- the story is not well-developed; as part of this, the NPCs are paper-thin and feel redundant
Negative (this is the disclaimer):
- the difficulty is f**ked; the "normal" level is (nintendo-)hard, while the easy level is a bit too easy. I think most of the gamers will miss the middle ground
All in all, I think casual gamers without "triple-A" expectations will greatly enjoy it - at the easy level!… Expand
Jul 7, 2017Not terrible. But way overrated. The reality is it's like 4 hours long. I cleared normal in 3.5h. Hard was faster. Impossible wasn't worth theNot terrible. But way overrated. The reality is it's like 4 hours long. I cleared normal in 3.5h. Hard was faster. Impossible wasn't worth the effort.
It's ok, but there's nothing really exceptional about it.
Lack of shortcuts built into the maps, the fast travel is an unlock that might take a long time to find, the map doesn't even color code different area names, area names don't even show up if you exit and re-enter in case you missed the text the first time, you can never change the angle of your leaf, in fact you never get new leaf moves period, arrows are op, all the bosses fight basically the same except for the one with two bosses which wasn't even seriously 2v1 since the arrow guy sucks, the story sucks because you never see her villiage or learn anything personal about her really, and most of the diffiulty comes from placing spikes in stupid spots and you getting lost because the map sucks and you didn't happen to stumble on the cat orb early.… Expand