9.2

1. May 25, 2020
    This game gets compared to Slay the Spire but the mechanics are completely different. The only similarities are that you can choose different deck archetypes to build, you can choose a path (of 2 per round), and the goal is to get to the end. Otherwise this is has a unique and very different feel, the main differences are:
    * You choose a main archetype to champion your deck but you need to
    * You choose a main archetype to champion your deck but you need to choose another synergy to go in also (1 of 5 decks).
    * The game is shorter by about 30 mins per run than Slay the Spire. * There is more of a focus improve your deck between fights.
    * Fights are very different and run over 3 levels, any monsters you do not kill ascend towards your pyre which kills you if it reaches 0 health. All up if you liked Slay the Spire then this game would be for you, while not the same it is deliciously different.
  2. May 27, 2020
    If you enjoy roguelikes/lites, GET THIS. I love StS but this game is veeerrrryyyy different in pretty much every way outside of the inclusion of "cards". Both games are masterpieces, and both deserve to be considered two of the best RL games ever made. Been following this game closely for months and it had more than enough content when there were only two clans (classes essentially), butIf you enjoy roguelikes/lites, GET THIS. I love StS but this game is veeerrrryyyy different in pretty much every way outside of the inclusion of "cards". Both games are masterpieces, and both deserve to be considered two of the best RL games ever made. Been following this game closely for months and it had more than enough content when there were only two clans (classes essentially), but with release there are now 3 more and they're all SOOOO unique. I absolutely adore this game! Expand
  3. May 27, 2020
    It's actually a good game but I think this game is not necessary when there is Slay the Spire
    My English is not very good I'm sorry if I'm wrong

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. May 28, 2020
    A staggering amount of content, variety and tactical depth makes Monster Train a must-play for fans of the deck-building genre, despite it struggling to explain its dense collection of mechanics and often lacklustre presentation.
  2. May 27, 2020
    Monster Train is a pleasant, mind-blowingly addictive exercise that’s well worth your time, especially if you’re a fan of roguelikes, card games, and deck-building fare. Hours of entertainment await, often chained back-to-back like a crazy card combo.
  3. May 27, 2020
    On the bright side, there is an incredible amount of replayability in Monster Train. There are five factions to play with, and you have to choose two to combine at the beginning of each run. Of course, it isn’t without escalating difficulty levels for those who manage to beat the game consistently, and even a multiplayer race format as well. Lastly, one of my favourite things about digital card games is that the devs have lots of ways to continue patching it. My gripes with the game are pretty minor, and who knows how this game will look in a few months? This are just release days, after all. If you are a fan of Slay the Spire or any other deckbuilding roguelites, you should definitely check this one out.