8.3

1. Dec 27, 2020
    As an StS fan - don't believe the hype.

As an StS fan - don't believe the hype.

I have around 180 hrs on Slay the Spire and love that game. In comparison, Monster Train is far too easy and runs are very short. It's fun for a few hours but once I unlocked all the clans and champions I felt no need to continue playing. I'm told it gets to a satisfying difficulty once you unlock later 'covenants' (modifiers that up the difficulty) but I feel no motivation to grind through 15-20 more runs to get there, as I feel like I've seen everything.

Each run is only 8 battles and the enemies get repetitive very quickly.
    There are limited opportunities to get artifacts and their effects are OP but a bit boring
    Synergies are basic and unimaginative

I played this on Game Pass, but before I was on there I almost bought it on Steam. Let's just say as an StS fan I'm glad I didn't spend money on this as I would have been disappointed.
  2. Oct 18, 2020
    For me monster train is one step below Slay the spire. Pretty nice mechanics, art and game design.
  3. Dec 6, 2021
    If you eat deckbuilders for breakfast, this game might not be the challenge you are looking for.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 17, 2020
    Do you like Slay The Spire? If so, you should absolutely try Monster Train's more tactical spin on the deck-building roguelike, which literally layers on new ideas and has every bit as much depth and variety.
  2. Sep 15, 2020
    If there was any concept that the card battler genre had completely tapped out with Slay The Spire, Monster Train proves that assumption wrong. Combining scaling difficulty, combo troops and cards, and an amazing amount of replayability under the hood, this is a game that can easily devour hours of your time pursuing "just one more run."
  3. Jul 27, 2020
    I’ve found it hard to recommend deck builders recently because I’ve either thought they were clones of other games, not all that exciting or they have too much going on, however, in Monster Train they have managed to balance replayability and creativity. If you’re a fan of deck builders or are new to the genre, I feel comfortable saying you will love Shiny Shoe’s unique take. It brought back my love for deck builders, has a soundtrack that you will be humming daily, and a creative art style. It’s definitely, in my opinion, well deserving of the overwhelmingly positive review scores it has received on Steam.