8.0

1. Dec 24, 2020
    I really just cannot understand why people like this game so much.

I enjoyed it a lot, and was very stunned by it, in the first five minutes. It has good controls, good visuals, interesting narrative, decent gameplay, and very good level design. It keeps introducing new and fun mechanics, and it isn't difficult to the point it is frustrating, nor easy to the point it's really boring.
    I really just cannot understand why people like this game so much.

It is fun and easy-going, but it is nothing more than that. It doesn't do perfectly with the things it focuses and strives on, and it's highlights are repeated endlessly throughout the game. It doesn't have a lot going for it at all, but what it does have, is pretty good.

Definitely not deserving of such high critic and user score though in my personal opinion. I played it blindly, and had a good time. But if you go in expecting a 8/10 action-packed indie, this is probably going to disappoint you.

It is - very basically - a mini-game that was expanded upon to create a more well-rounded and complete fun yet short bit of entertainment.
  2. Jun 21, 2019
    Max Payne but 2d.
    I r8 10/10 goty nothing can top this
    But seriously the soundtrack is amazing and the gameplay was very enjoyable and unique.
  3. Jun 21, 2019
    There is the maddest 2D shooter, for fast gamers. 6-9 hours gameplay and so easy high level difficult is the worst keys of this game
  4. Jun 30, 2019
    Brilliant!!! ಠ⌣ಠ
    The game is Designed Profession-aly and it's almost Perfect!!!!!!!
    To Developers ::
    It was A Huge Honor to play your Master-Piece Guys...
    Keep going and keep making new awesome memories like this game for us.
    The Words can't describe what you did Fellas!
    XX with great Respect
  5. Jun 20, 2019
    Forgive me for this really, really strained metaphor: My Friend Pedro is like eating a banana that's starting to rot as you're eating it. It's still a really good banana when you start, and the general core of the banana is still there but it starts to taste not as good. TLDR; I still recommend it, but it's not as good in the second half which focuses more on platforming than shooting andForgive me for this really, really strained metaphor: My Friend Pedro is like eating a banana that's starting to rot as you're eating it. It's still a really good banana when you start, and the general core of the banana is still there but it starts to taste not as good. TLDR; I still recommend it, but it's not as good in the second half which focuses more on platforming than shooting and has a suddenly turn towards making jokes about gaming and the internet.

The game's opening hour and a half (out of around three) are incredible. First, the game shows it understands how to introduce mechanics and then really play around with them. But unlike a game like Mario, where it's simply an obstacle to get around, it is instead another way to either kill your opponents or prevent them from killing you, expanding your arsenal against mobsters, hitmen, gamers and "Internet Service Protectors" (I'll get to that). Once you make your way through the first section of the game, you're then dropped into what is essentially a series of gauntlets that ask you to really go all out in pulling off some amazing feats.

This is helped by the controls. They're simple, and while finicky at times, let you really move around the stage. Jumping through the air, pirouetting in order to avoid enemy fire, before firing at two enemies at the same time sounds like it should be complex, but it's quite the opposite. Kicking things, while tough to line up, is also easy to do. You have to really learn how to use everything to your advantage, but the rewards for doing so are wonderful.

Then the game decides to start turning its hand towards platforming. Now, for maybe one area this would be fine (and the justification for the more gamey style platforming challenges is a fair one), but the developer seemed to forget that the reason I was playing this game was to kill enemies. It'd be fine if it was woven into the shooting, but it does not feel like it is. So levels from the middle section onwards have chunks where you're spending more time solving small disconnected platforming puzzles than actually fighting mooks.

Speaking of mooks, while the game does have a silly streak (Pedro being the main source of it), the halfway point suddenly marks a drastic change in tone. You go from a world that seems like a stylised version of our reality to an outright absurd one where hardcore gamers are living in the sewers and The Internet is a physical place that appears to have control over the world. You go from fighting mobsters in tracksuits and hitmen attending their annual Christmas party to fighting gamers dressed as knights and what basically amount to internet police. It goes from a gleeful but still somewhat grounded action romp to a story that seems to have stopped taking itself seriously and was dangerously erring on the side of meta. I was obviously not expecting anything groundbreaking from the story, but what I got was very underwhelming even for the standards of this kind of game. (Of note is the ending which left a lot to be desired, although the boss fights before it are actually pretty good.)

It still has its incredible highs though. And because of said highs I recommend playing it. But be wary that it'll start to lose steam once you reach the halfway point.
  6. Jun 20, 2019
    One of the best games in this year. You should play to experience its gameplay with its story's geek
  7. Jun 20, 2019
    Very cool game. Recommend to play. Music and gameplay the best. 10/10. GOTY.
  8. Jun 26, 2019
    Short but rly fun game. 10/10 so far, soundtrack was good, weapons were rly rly good
  9. Jul 5, 2019
    Cool and awesome game, it reminded me the ancient spectrum game "Rolling Thunder" mixed with the modern "Not a Hero". If you like 2D game shooters, this is one is for you. Great work here!
    PROS: quite funny to play + slow motion + each stage has diffent things + easy controls & easy to play + humor + bosses + jumps + etc
    CONS: easy difficulty (but i personaly prefer this than too hard)
  10. Jul 21, 2019
    Can't say I was overwhelmed by this game. I'm at a rare point for indie games where I may give up barely into the second world. The game tries way too hard to make you care for a ranking system that relies on heavy bothersome actions (namely you want a S in hard and bananas ? get ready to spam that dodge button and alternate with semi-accurate shooting in between, also don't kill enemiesCan't say I was overwhelmed by this game. I'm at a rare point for indie games where I may give up barely into the second world. The game tries way too hard to make you care for a ranking system that relies on heavy bothersome actions (namely you want a S in hard and bananas ? get ready to spam that dodge button and alternate with semi-accurate shooting in between, also don't kill enemies too soon, otherwise there's a good chance the next enemy will arrive too late and break your combo...). The combat system is fun but not nearly as polished as it could be for an indie game. The controls are often cumbersome and make you miss jumps for no other reason than being off-timing slightly and shots for... well no reason (sometimes spin jumping will make it IMPOSSIBLE to aim at certain parts of the screen, completely preventing headshots at some points).

I've stopped aiming for S ranks and I'm still not having fun, which IMHO is a huge problem. I fail at getting S ranks in DMC (mostly because I don't put in the time needed to) but still have fun trying to get as best a score as possible. Here even by removing that aspect I don't have fun. And world 2 is making me seriously consider giving up by adding dumb platforming segments that are really not fun. They're also slightly puzzly just in case it wasn't annoying enough.

Overally I feel like the game is VERY overrated just because of its indie nature. However when you see the amazing polished indie games that are released noways by teams of 1 to 5 people, I feel like Pedro should be reviewed in a much harsher way. As a huge indie gamer and aspiring indie dev, who loves all sorts of indie games, from bite-sized to chunky, from simple arcadey to complex, I don't think pedro deserves anywhere near 8 from either professional or user reviews. Should be around a 6 at best. I mean it's getting a better rating than DOOM 2016, what the hell ? Or indie-wise almost as good as Binding of Isaac Rebirth. It is not ! Even if we remove the fact I personally, subjectively didn't like the game, it's objectively nowhere near the amiund of content, fun and polish as BoI : Rebirth has. I'm all for judging products based on their production value to an extent, but applying this to Pedro, I still don't feel like it deserve an 8. A very good but simple and short polished pixel art game like Bot Vice deserves that rating, not Pedro !

tl;dr : way overrated, and it comes from an indie game lover and aspiring indie dev. Not all that fun, not all that great, there are better games out there releasing soon, so check those instead
  11. Nov 4, 2019
    Short but sweet side scroller with great music. Would recommend even at full price.
  12. Feb 26, 2020
    Overrated indie game, just very simple gameplay that would have been fun maybe in 1999
  13. Jun 22, 2019
    Игра просто зашкаливает музыка,оптимизация,качество просто ставлю 10/10 жаль что нельзя поставить 11/10 Советую купить она стоит таких денег
  14. Jul 16, 2019
    A bit overrated but still good. The gameplay is relatively good, however it's relatively repetitive and often cumbersome and when it differs it either differs little or it's done awkwardly (e.g. platforming levels without having such great physics for it).
    In overall the game is worth it, a 7/10 at least but it's not fair to other games to give it more since it's relatively simplistic and the gameplay not the best in the world.
    tl;dr: very enjoyable if you want some fast 'arcade' fun but don't expect much depth in either gameplay or story or graphics.
  15. Jul 19, 2019
    -Graphics and design: 10
    -Gameplay: 9
    -Sound and Music: 10
    -Bugs: 10

Аdditional evaluation criteria (Do not really affect the assessment):
    -Freedom of choice:
    -Coop in Story mode: 0
    -Multiplayer: 0
    -Mods and the ability to change the game: 0
    -Interface: 9

Scores from 1 to 10, the higher the better
  16. Aug 10, 2019
    The game is very entertaining, but after a while, it repeats itself and becomes a platform game.
  17. Oct 20, 2019
    It was fantastic during the first half. Controls are very solid and the gunplay feels perfect, and although levels were a bit too linear for my liking, they complemented the fast-paced gameplay very well, giving each level a very satisfying feeling of momentum. Enemies are laid out in ways that make for unique ways to take out each group of baddies, making each stage feel unique. My onlyIt was fantastic during the first half. Controls are very solid and the gunplay feels perfect, and although levels were a bit too linear for my liking, they complemented the fast-paced gameplay very well, giving each level a very satisfying feeling of momentum. Enemies are laid out in ways that make for unique ways to take out each group of baddies, making each stage feel unique. My only real complaints during the first half would be two things. For one, the boss battles were relatively forgettable, and I wish there was a bit more replayability in the stages, even something as simple as hidden collectibles would've improved the experience. However, the second half of the game goes downhill for me. Once you enter the sewers, the majority of the enemies you fight are these sort of Dark-Souls cosplayers with swords. They make these levels not fun to play for multiple reasons. For one, they have far too much health, removing the sense of power of your attacks, which is really important in a game like this. On top of that, since they are all carrying melee weapons, ammo drops are practically nonexistent in these later stages. Ammo management can be a good thing in some games, but it doesn't always fit in a game like My Friend Pedro where combat is highly based around taking out enemies fast and maintaining momentum. Also, the game's puzzles become a real problem starting in this stage of the game, where it once again, stops your momentum in order to solve a puzzle, and it just feels unsatisfying. The best comparison I can make is running into a pair of spikes after picking up lots of speed in a Sonic game. It just ends up feeling clunky and breaks up the flow of the game. On top of this, you also receive the assault rifle during this stage of the game. While weapons like the smg and shotgun in the game each had their own distinct feel and reason to use them in different scenarios, the assault rifle is simply uninteresting to use, dealing mass amounts of damage with a large fire rate, while somehow also not having any feeling of punch or power to it. And in the later stages, due to high enemy HP and limited ammo pickups for other weapons, it leads to you being forced to use this weapon which just never feels as good as those used in the earlier stages. Overall, I still enjoyed my time with My Friend Pedro, but the games second half really drags down the overall experience for me. Expand
  18. Oct 25, 2019
    My friend Pedro's best moments are nothing short of over-the-top brilliant, but they continuously become more scarce as the game progresses until it reaches a point of gameplay repetition.
  19. Nov 18, 2019
    Corto, directo, adictivo y muy divertido.
    Sorprende la cantidad de situaciones y posibilidades a pesar de lo sencillo de sus mecánicas.
    Compra muy recomendable.
    * Puntuación con respecto al panorama independiente.
  20. Nov 20, 2019
    Flash oyun olan My Friend Pedro çok severek defalarca oynadığım bir oyundu. Oyunun görece yüksek bütçeli bir versiyonunun Devolver tarafından desteklenmesi ve Steam'e gelmesi beni çok mutlu etti. Oyunun ilk defa fragmanını izlediğimde bu oyunun ne olduğunu anlamıştım. Çok sevdiğim 2D shooter türünde, durmayan bir aksiyonu olan, gaz müzikli, tatlı animasyonlu ve bol kanlı bir MFP görmüştümFlash oyun olan My Friend Pedro çok severek defalarca oynadığım bir oyundu. Oyunun görece yüksek bütçeli bir versiyonunun Devolver tarafından desteklenmesi ve Steam'e gelmesi beni çok mutlu etti. Oyunun ilk defa fragmanını izlediğimde bu oyunun ne olduğunu anlamıştım. Çok sevdiğim 2D shooter türünde, durmayan bir aksiyonu olan, gaz müzikli, tatlı animasyonlu ve bol kanlı bir MFP görmüştüm ki oyunun bana verdikleri tam olarak bunlardı. Defalarca aynı bölümü oynayarak S alamaya çalışmak oyundaki en büyük zevk orası kesin. Kendinizi farklı haraketler ve farklı combolara zorlamazsanız gerçek keyfi alamıyorsunuz. İlk oynayışımda rank olarak ne aldığıma aldırmadan oynadım. İyiydi ama bir şey eksikti. Sonra bir de S almaya kastım. Oyun işte burada bir şeye benzedi. He, S almak zorunlu değil ama mekanikleri dibine kadar tadabiliyorsunuz. Bölümü yalayıp yutup nerede ne yapılacağını ezberlediğinizde ve onları kaliteli hamlelerle birleştirdiğinizde ortaya görsel bir şölen çıkıyor ve çok zevk alıyorsunuz.
    Oyunun bir de hikayesi var ama laf olsun diye ki bu kötü bir şey değil. Her oyun mükemmel bir hikaye anlatmak zorunda değil. Oynanışı bu oyunu gayet kaliteli yapmaya yetiyor.
    Bölüm tasarımları hoş. Ben sadece ateş edip ilerleyeceğiz sanarken adamlar motor ve platforming bölümleri koymuş, çeşitlilik sağlıyor.
    Görsel olarak gayet tatmin edici. Vuruş hissi falan da gayet doyurucu.
    Bir de aklıma şu etkileşimli objeler geldi. Tavadır, ceset parçalarıdır bombadır falan. Ha bir de kaykay ama o ayrı bir mekanik. Bu objelerin kullanımı da çok hoş. Ayrı bir tat katıyor.
    Son olarak da müzikleri yeterli seviyede gaz.
    Velhasıl oyun mermi balerisi, kan şöleni, adrenalin tufanı. Hızlı ve tatmin edici 2D shooter arayanlar için birebir. Düşüncesiz aksiyon mis gibi. Yalnız o yapımcı ile olan boss savaşı olsaydı daha iyi olmaz mıydı? ;D
  21. Nov 25, 2019
    My friend Pedro is a solid good fun game you can beat in one sitting. It's filled with action and that's it. It's a game you'll come back to after a month, play it again, and lays it away for another 2 month. Can definitely recommend for the full price.
  22. Jan 13, 2020
    Мало движа, т.е. игра сама по себе динамична, дает тебе вариацию при прохождении, мнимую, но дает, но оригинальной динамики, сногшибающего эпика не происходит (разве что миссия на мотоцикле). Боссфайты вялые, для такого геймплея.Мало движа, т.е. игра сама по себе динамична, дает тебе вариацию при прохождении, мнимую, но дает, но оригинальной динамики, сногшибающего эпика не происходит (разве что миссия на мотоцикле). Боссфайты вялые, для такого геймплея.
  23. Jan 18, 2020
    Gameplay inovadora e viciante, com boa variedade de armas e ótimo aproveitamento de mapa, com um design novo a missão, que acrescenta a gameplay e evita a mesma de ficar maçante.
    A OST é divertida e inclui muito no ritmo do game. A historia serve mais como um background a principio, mas até que é divertida visto o carisma da Banana. Os gráficos são básicos, e a otimização não decepciona, entregando 144hz sem demais problemas.
  24. Feb 6, 2020
    8/10 .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  25. Feb 11, 2020
    This game is for teenagers. You got all the cool looking things like shooting, shooting in slow motion, shooting while on skateboard, kicking knifes, techno music, lasers and talking to your friend banana. Some parts of game feels like you are high, but if you overlook those you will get well progressing shooting game. As you unlock more guns game gets more complex and lets you fullyThis game is for teenagers. You got all the cool looking things like shooting, shooting in slow motion, shooting while on skateboard, kicking knifes, techno music, lasers and talking to your friend banana. Some parts of game feels like you are high, but if you overlook those you will get well progressing shooting game. As you unlock more guns game gets more complex and lets you fully enjoy them. Visuals are good you'll never get lost as to what to do next. Overall its not my cup of tea, but still good at what is doing. Expand
  26. Feb 9, 2020
    JOGO MUITO BOM, NO COMEÇO É FÁCIL, MAS AO LONGO DO JOGO VAI FICANDO CADA VEZ MAIS DESAFIADOR E OUTRO PONTO POSITIVO DO JOGO É A JOGABILIDADE FRENÉTICA, ONDE EM MOMENTO NENHUM FAZ VOCÊ RELAXAR OU SE SENTIR FRUSTADO.
  27. Mar 5, 2020
    My friend Pedro 4/10
    Czas ukończenia : 4h
    Platforma : Xbox One X
    Nudna i powtarzalna gra akcji, skupiająca się na bullet time by nadać nieco widowiskowości drewnianej animacji postaci. Da się dobrze bawić przy tej produkcji ale przez pierwsze 10 minut, bo później nie ma praktycznie nic nowego. Od biedy można zagrać.
  28. Mar 12, 2020
    Really fun and creative to start. Falls off really hard in the second half. Level design worse. Escalation/puzzles makes it worse.
  29. Mar 24, 2020
    My Friend Pedro is a love song written about action movies like the John Wick franchise in the form of a video game. The game is a side-scrolling, twin-stick shooter that is quite a fun experience. The variety of guns is welcomed but only about 2 of them are ever used. Each level feels very repetitve and adds nothing new to the overall experiece. My Friend Pedro is a fine game that isMy Friend Pedro is a love song written about action movies like the John Wick franchise in the form of a video game. The game is a side-scrolling, twin-stick shooter that is quite a fun experience. The variety of guns is welcomed but only about 2 of them are ever used. Each level feels very repetitve and adds nothing new to the overall experiece. My Friend Pedro is a fine game that is quite fun, but isn't a game you must experience. Expand
  30. May 24, 2020
    Great, fun little action game. Just the right length too (3-5hrs). Enjoyed it. Graphics and sound are very good too.
  31. May 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Можно сказать, что My Friend Pedro это Hotline Miami, но только с паркуром и большим количеством экшена. Когда ты крутишь салютухи и при этом расстреливаешь ораву врагов, ты ловишь экстаз от такого количества эпичности и экшена. Головоломки не замысловатые, а поиск Игровых Модификаций на каждом уровне даёт большее желание перепройти уровень или даже игру. А когда в конце ты дерешься со своей сестрой, которая использует те же приёмы, что и ты, понимаешь, что это круто и эпично. Я рекомендую сыграть в My Friend Pedro, много времени это не займёт. Пройти игру можно в среднем за 2 с половиной часа Expand
  32. Jun 1, 2020
    At first it wasn't good, and at the end I wanted to do more and more...
    I liked the cool ending. I recommend it.
  33. Jun 22, 2020
    My Friend Pedro no ofrece apenas enfoques nuevos o propios en términos de historia y jugabilidad, pero gracias a su implementación excepcional y niveles interesantes, es increíblemente divertido y te invita a búsquedas de alta puntuación. Los fans de títulos como Hotline Miami, The Hong Massacre o Katana Zero están bien servidos aquí.
  34. Jul 11, 2020
    Very cool and unique 2d/3d shooting experience, Has a very very nice art style, The downside for it is that It's 20 bucks for a 4 hours game That's not really what I expected, Don't get me wrong the game is super rad but It's just short.
  35. Jul 18, 2020
    I like this game. It gives to us very different dynamics and gameplay. This game is very cool.
  36. Jul 18, 2020
    this game is very fun! i love the cinematic is so fun and unique and the combat is great. only 2 chapters in and i love it so much.
  37. Sep 8, 2020
    the only negative i can think is it's only 4-5 hours other than that it was really fun the weapons were fun to use and shoot also it had a nice soundtrack
  38. Oct 5, 2020
    This game is an amazing 2d platformer, taking inspiration from Max Payne and The Matrix. with fun level design and an array of weapons to choose from, it has great replay value. Some of the best moments in this game is when you effortlessly clear a room in a fluid motion, armed opponents falling to your unstoppable hellfire of bullets with precision accuracy, dodging bullets without aThis game is an amazing 2d platformer, taking inspiration from Max Payne and The Matrix. with fun level design and an array of weapons to choose from, it has great replay value. Some of the best moments in this game is when you effortlessly clear a room in a fluid motion, armed opponents falling to your unstoppable hellfire of bullets with precision accuracy, dodging bullets without a second thought Expand
  39. Dec 1, 2020
    You can create cool cinematic action scenes. Has no gripping story but its fun for a few hours.
  40. Dec 6, 2020
    Pek beğenmedim. Hikayesi tırttı. Katana Zero'nun aksine, oyuna sonradan giydirildiği çok belliydi. Zaten pek hikayesi olduğu da söylenemez. İlerledikçe yeni silahlar geliyor, yeni engeller çıkıyor klasik. Bu bakımdan oyun çalışıyor. Yani sıkıcı değil, kendini yeniliyor ve tekrara düşmüyor. Ancak nedendir bilmem beni pek sarmadı.
  41. Jan 3, 2021
    Amazing mechanics with great gameplay, stunning soundtrack and a really good story, it keeps you up during the entire 3-4 hours this game will take you to complete. It keeps introducing some fun new things during the enitre playthrough. Really good indie title that deserves more attention than what its getting
  42. Jan 6, 2021
    Pay no mind to this comment, I intend to write a proper review soon enough. For now, just trust this score.
  43. Jan 9, 2021
    My Friend Pedro feels more like a really long and elaborate demo than a complete game. It has one thing right and it has it near perfect: the core gameplay. It's dynamic, chaotic and blastingly fun. Yet, what surrounds it leaves more to be desired.

Visuals, except for some missions where the game goes bananas, are really basic and uninspired. Music tries to emulate the intoxication you get from Hotline Miami's M.O.O.N but does not commit to it fully and ends up feeling generic. Uninventive plot feels more like a draft that still awaits to be concluded thematically. And the biggest gripe for me came to be the level design that mostly seems to force you to either complete an encounter in some predetermined, restricted fashion or to turn it into a hectic mess - and just die at higher difficulties. The extensive kit of mechanics you've been handled begs for more room to breathe and for you to be able to experiment freely with it.

Given it's really short length and lack of replayability on top of what's been said, My Friend Pedro's frantic fun won't stick in you memory for too long.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 30 Critic Reviews

A dream come true for action fans of all types, My Friend Pedro adds a fresh coat of paint to its classic flash game predecessor by incorporating new mechanics and improved visual flair.
  2. Aug 19, 2019
    A brilliant arcade game about a bloodthirsty ballet dancer with a deadly aim - could there be anything more awesome? But beware - if you don’t like your stuff very much over the top in the vein of Japanese videogames, you might not be able to tolerate Pedro.
  3. Jul 22, 2019
    It’s a pretty decent price for the fun that is to be had. In the end… you are just one man and his banana… and maybe that’s all you really need.