6.8

1. Jan 27, 2019
    gets real boring, real fast
    at first it looks ok... then the sheer repetitive nature, andunfeeling environment leave me empty
  2. Feb 1, 2019
    Edited: 1st of Febuary

Edited: 1st of Febuary

I'm really suspicious of the high scores and loving reviews from small sites. It's still missing its sound, still buggy, still crashes a lot, still more grindy than a Korean MMO, still poorly written, still has flat characters with less personality than a British politician, and the company still hasn't paid their employees. I sense shifty dealings, which will only hurt the reputation of these smaller sites. The highest scoring "critic" reviews here are an accurate treatise on which sites you shouldn't trust.

I mean, the highest scoring "critic" review is from Game Grin, who even are they? Whereas Destructoid scored this as 55% (trash, essentially).

Be wary, and trust the sites you know over aggregates that include no-name critics.

Review Date: 25th of January

These devs have been outright refusing to pay their employees (especially their voice actors), using shadily worded 'sorry not sorry' excuses as damage control. That's the first thing wrong with this game, and it should be enough for anyone with a conscience to not support it.

The second thing is that their marketing team is review bombing other, similar games (Little Dragons Cafe, Harvest Life, and others) to try and reduce the competition. A lot of very similarly worded negative reviews for their competition always ending in 'try My Time at Portia instead.' Yes, try the game made by a shifty developer who pulls this unconscionable nonsense.

The third point against the game is that it's incredibly average, as depicted partly by its more believable big name critic reviews. Yet Steam reviews are unwaveringly positive and similarly worded, how interesting. Considering how buggy the game is, with its content, at this time, STILL failing to work right coupled with constant crashing (as noted by the other negative review here)? I'm even a little suspicious by the most positive "critic" reviews from no-name/mostly unknown sites. Were it not for them, the overall score would be sitting somewhere around 40-50, which is much more accurate. And considering the hot mess the game is in, it's even more odd, don't you think? I'm not suggesting fabrication here, just paid reviews, which does happen with these lesser known sites (kind of like how shady, lesser known science journals will publish anything if paid enough).

Fourth point is that they're still failing to properly patch their mediocre, supremely buggy game. Probably because their employees are fed up of not getting paid.

Fifth point is that the game is still missing almost all of its audio. The majority of sound effects and voices aren't in (due to unpaid employees), yet they still released the game out of early access. It's not a release if your game is almost silent and entirely missing its sound design!

Sixth point is thst the game just isn't fun. It's one slog of a grind after another. It's nice if you want to play World of Warcraft in single-player, but otherwise the soul-sucking repetition and padding in lieu of real content will likely leave you feeling exhausted and cynical. There are better titles out there for all that My Time at Portia does, there's truly nothing it does better than any given alternative.

Seventh point is that it's really soulless and feels designed by committee. With the dev having had 57 (mostly unpaid) employees, the game is hardly by a small developer, let alone an indie dev. This isn't some spunky small studio looking to make their mark, they have more employees than some triple-A studios. Too many chefs have spoiled the broth, resulting in a bland experience rife with truly flat, one-dimensional characters you can't wait to get away from (I really can't get over how bad the writing is).

Basically? This game is a con. One that's conning its buyers with shady marketing tactics, and one that wven conned its creators by stiffing them a paycheck. It seems like those paychecks went to paying off a ridiculous marketing campaign of misinformation. This is not something you should be supporting, and you should be very wary of those who do.

You can't say you weren't warned.

1. Apr 24, 2019
    My Time at Portia is a beautiful, relaxing experience. With the charming art style and plenty of activities to go through, players will easily lose themselves in the game's pleasant setting for hours and hours.
  2. Mar 30, 2019
    My Time at Portia offers many crafting activities, a vividly colored world that is really pleasant to explore and a main quest line. After a while, crafting requirements might prove to be somewhat of a grinding activity for some people and quests and inhabitants at times feel a bit dry. A pleasant and relaxing experience all in all that could be elevated with a little more invested writing.
  3. Mar 4, 2019
    My Time at Portia successfully gives some original touch on the genre, managing to differ from its peers like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon. While it has some problems with few design mechanics like crafting and small lack of dungeons to delve into, it puts player into interesting role of a builder, all while having a beautiful and cute looking world to explore.