5.8

1. Sep 29, 2015
    Much was made about the Spike Lee directed Career/Story Mode but I found it really lacking and hugely disappointing. The biggest problem I have with this was the absolute heavy-ham-handed scripting which instead of adding to immersion actually kills it completely.

Firstly, My Career has always been about creating a player that is you (or that you want) regardless of race. Spike Lee pigeon-holes and shoe-horns you into poor black kid growing up in the projects in Harlem. Cliched much?

My Career tries to present two of the fundamental choices/problems that blue-chip college/young NBA players have: such as whether or not to go one-and-done; whether or not to stick with your homie who's had your back forever but is a bad influence or to ditch him for the good of your career.

So much is made about these problems and how hard it is to choose. Your character literally agonizes over each choice. Then the game/story goes ahead and makes the choices for you. Well duh ... if you're going to belabour the point and make it such a big deal, and if it really is MY career, then I would like to have a say in it, wouldn't you? I honestly only started enjoying the game a bit more after the script ended.

Also another pet peeve is the big deal they make of your created player: high school phenom, blue-chip prospect, once in a generation talent, etc, etc. And you come into the draft with a skill level of 55? This may not be a big deal (and actually fit with the last edition where your player went undrafted) but the disparity is so immersion-breaking. From having 'boosted' stats in High School/College where your 7 foot centre can literally hit 3-pointers from everywhere to missing 2 feet lay-ups in the NBA ... i should think that if I'm actually good enough to be drafted top-20 in the NBA draft i should be at least be able to make a jump-shot or two.

Also, because of whatever reason, your rookie season is abridged into eight games so that Spike Lee can turn your rookie career into a blurb. Which means you only play 8 games (i.e. compared to the regular season 82 you would have played in previous editions - meaning you literally miss out one entire year of skill points and never have a chance to break into the starting line-up). It also means the whole Rookie of the Year target which most players set their sights on is pretty much impossible/redundent.

Game-wise its generally more of the same with better animations. A more robust blocking/swatting system is much welcome. But generally the AI appears to be more tepid and less intelligent this edition. The point-guard hogs the ball way too much and makes really bad decisions/shots. The transition game appears better and fast breaks are a lot more viable but the PC-controlled teams appear to have a huge edge in the transition game (most of the time your team are not even back in their half-court set when the other team pushes the ball back up the court for an empty lane).

tldr: Spike Lee's story kills the immersion and the real game/fun only starts when it ends. They should have made the story-mode a toggle on/off feature when starting a new career. I feel that 2k15 plays a little better and is more immersive.
  2. Oct 10, 2015
    Literally the worst game that has ever given us the misfortune of being made. If they made a game that had you playing as Hitler and gassing Jews, that would be a better game then this pile of garbage. I'd rather pull off my cock with barbed wire than play this crap again. I feel like 2k sports needs to pay me for the time I wasted playing this **** 6/10, it's ok.
  3. Jun 4, 2016
    The controls are not intuitive. If you have to work four buttons to perform a simple drive to the hoop, then somethings wrong with the interface. The producers spend way too much time on Spike Lee's journey from high school to the pros (some of us just want to play a quick game fellas). The steam interface is almost a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I tried it for a couple ofThe controls are not intuitive. If you have to work four buttons to perform a simple drive to the hoop, then somethings wrong with the interface. The producers spend way too much time on Spike Lee's journey from high school to the pros (some of us just want to play a quick game fellas). The steam interface is almost a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I tried it for a couple of weeks and haven't touched it since. Expand
  4. Jul 16, 2016
    This game is an improvement in some ways and a step back in others.
    Things I like:
    The idea of your play as a high school player influencing which tier schools will recruit you, and then again how your play as a college player affects your draft position. Online play has improved, specifically the AI defenders seem to be a little better at preventing drives. Things I do not like: This
    This game is an improvement in some ways and a step back in others.
    Things I like:
    Things I do not like:
    This game is not integrated with Steam at all - when I play someone online I should be able to chat with them one way or another, I should be able to request a rematch immediately after the game. When I play someone online I want to see what our head to head record is with each team we've played with. I want to be able to easily add someone that I'm playing against to my friends list.
    1. Not integrated with steam at all
    -cannot request a rematch at the end of the game
    -cannot chat with opponent
    -cannot easily add opponent to friends list
    2. Opponent is able to change jersey color and may end up choosing jersey color very close to you your color and unless you are watching them closely as they choose jerseys you might start the game and then realize you both have white jerseys or dark jerseys which makes it tough to distinguish your teammates.
    3. Teammate AI is really bad. Tip off after tip off the center of the team that wins the tip cuts to the hoop and can easily dunk it or lay it in and unless you are on it from the get go you will not have a chance to defend it. It's very easy to score in the post on the AI or for others to score in the post. After you score sometimes your teammates with stand near the basket instead of immediately getting back down the court on defense allowing the opposing team to get a fast break dunk on an inbound - this happens often.
    4. So many missed layups when defenders are not near enough to challenge the shot. Also so many missed dunks by high fliers when there are defenders nearby without foul calls.
    5. In online play the timeout scripted scenes are so annoying.
    6. The cheerleader scripted scenes are doubly annoying.
    7. The inablity to adjust the gameplay at the end of quarters and halftime is frustrating.
    8. The directional passing is frustratingly awful.
    9. Waiting for the game to match you with someone in online play is lame. It can take forever - give us information - how many people are playing online right now - how long will the wait be, etc.
    10. The shooting feedback is lame. I don't like it, please work on something better.
    11. The Spike Lee mycareer story mode turned me off, it was immersion killing. Please do not bring it back.
    Suggestions:
    1. There should be a mini game while you are waiting for an online to match you up with an opponent, such as practicing shooting with your players, or getting into a queue to challenge a particular player,
    2 We should be able to see who the best NBA 2k16 players are and send a request to challenge them to a match
    3. Allow us to make defensive adjustments at the end of quarters and during halftime.
    4. Cut out the fat from online play - get rid of the scripted timeout players dancing back to bench and cheerleaders - I didn't buy this game to watch that stuff, its annoying.
    5. Force online players to have opposite dark/light jersey colors. Home team gets priority pick.
    6. Integrate the game with steam - allow up to easily request a rematch, add a friend, chat with opponent, and things like that.
    That is it for now.
    ----
    More annoying stuff.
    1. When grabbing a defensive rebound your player immediately whips a full court shot. This can happen several times a game. Unless there is 1 second left on the clock no player should throw a full court shot.
    2. Despite choosing "smother" defense for an opposing player, that player will repeatedly be left wide open by my teammate.
    3. After a stoppage in play it can take several seconds before the referee gives the ball to the inbounding player, this is another annoying delay of gameplay.
    4. There should be an indicator showing how many team fouls there are and how many fouls to give there are before being in the penalty.
    5. When playing online there don't need to be timeouts automatically taken - simply have the subs automatically switch out - the timeouts scripted sequences are frustratingly immersion killing - make online play as streamlined as possible. Get rid of the cuts to the cheerleaders, the timeout scripted sequences, etc...
    ***EDIT*** Online play is a broken piece of ****
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 25, 2016
    This NBA 2K is surely rife for nitpicking. Annoying update notifications, clunky menus, AI blunders, Spike Lee’s unnecessary meddling with the well-oiled machine of MyCareer, a rough Gauntlet mode, and traditional connectivity problems. But still, even with all that, NBA 2K16 is like a complex, mesmerizing painting.
  2. Oct 11, 2015
    NBA 2k16 justifies the expectations that the series has built over recent years. The best basketball simulator can be even better.
  3. Oct 6, 2015
    The PC version seems to have some technical problems on some machines, but if you don't mind that and the career mode full of cliché then this is a monster slam dunk.