7.8

1. Sep 16, 2017
    This game looks beautiful, the graphics are simple but well done and allow the creators to tell a very adult tale with the visuals of a child's cartoon. The story is interesting but not complicated, and the characters are very likeable. I loved the whole feel and had fun pottering around this world for a bit. The controls are few and very basic so not much to learn and won't stretch yourThis game looks beautiful, the graphics are simple but well done and allow the creators to tell a very adult tale with the visuals of a child's cartoon. The story is interesting but not complicated, and the characters are very likeable. I loved the whole feel and had fun pottering around this world for a bit. The controls are few and very basic so not much to learn and won't stretch your brain. Some of the dialogue was a bit excessive, and I admittedly lost patience a couple of times. The dream sequences are nice although there are a lot of them and they're almost identical, the soundtrack suited them perfectly. All in all this game was a good ride, presented well and not overly challenging. It has a brilliant sense of humour, and I very much enjoyed it. Expand
  2. Mar 29, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked this game, mostly for its great character development and art style. The soundtrack is really good too, but what I feel is lacking is the story. On the first few days in Possum springs it feels like the game would mostly be about the relationships with other people in town, and about Mae herself, but then the whole cult thing happens, and it feels really rushed. This game builds up a good story, but then falls down to literally explaining everything that was happening through one dialog, meant to put an end to the cult story, however, nothing really gets resolved, the mystery remains, and soon after the game just ends abruptly. I feel like if the whole game would be more like the first part of it, where you are just hanging out with people it would be a much better game.

Unsatisfied with the ending I went online to check out other people are making out of it, and I found a tweet from the developer, explaining the whole thing as a political statement and nothing more. This made me even more frustrated because that is a really bad thing to do - the game's story should make sense in the context of the game itself, and in that case, we are getting a usual cliche open ending, that is so much common in indie titles that its starting to get old.
  3. Jul 1, 2017
    Night in the woods is a 2D story-driven platformer made by Infinite Fall and Finji.
    I've seen a lot of good reviews for this game which got me interested, so I decided to play it and I loved it.

Night in the woods has one of the strongest and most mature stories I've seen in quite a long time, it has a lot of different themes that I can really relate to and it does have a good mystery. The characters are lovable and relatable, the main character is a very flawed person but you do feel sorry for her and you don't want to see her in pain, the other characters are funny, sarcastic and they also have a lot of moments where you do feel for them and near the end I was almost in tears.

The gameplay has surprisingly a lot of variety, it's mostly walking around and talk to different people but the game has a lot of mini-games, which makes the game a little more unique.
    But the gameplay is probably the weakest part of the game, but that's okay because the story did carry the entire experience and it's refreshing sometimes.

I do believe it's worth paying 20 bucks to play this game, it took me 8 hours and it does have some replay value so I do recommend it, it's for now my favourite story of 2017.
  4. Jul 3, 2017
    This game is a beautifully written and directed game with a charming art style and touching dialogue. It follows the story of an average 20 year old college drop out while she struggles to grasp the inevitability of becoming an adult in her own quirky way. It perfectly captures the awkwardness of the transitional period between teenager and adult and makes a vibrant and tangible world toThis game is a beautifully written and directed game with a charming art style and touching dialogue. It follows the story of an average 20 year old college drop out while she struggles to grasp the inevitability of becoming an adult in her own quirky way. It perfectly captures the awkwardness of the transitional period between teenager and adult and makes a vibrant and tangible world to explore.

I did not personally find the pace to be an issue and felt as though everything worked well. It does lack gameplay aspects so if you are looking for an exciting game to test your skills with, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a game that rewards exploration and has a ton of replay value this is it.

My one complaint with the game (and the reason that I couldn't give it 10/10) is the ending it feels rushed and out of the blue with some parts being downright confusing. Only after a few playthroughs did I come to a satisfying conclusion regarding the meaning of the ending and how it relates to the story but overall it is a game well worth playing, a personal favorite and one that I solidly recommend.
  5. Nov 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros: Atmospheric at times, really nice music, nice characters that make you care about them. I was able to empathize, admire, and recognize myself in many of the characters.
    Cons: Story got kind of muddled, and at the end it seemed like the protagonist was just trying to say a lot of insightful stuff when really, I just wanted her to develop as a person. Just a tiny bit. And it was atmospheric 'at times' because while the town was pretty and simple too look at with trees and leaves, the rest of the scenery was just solid color blocks with little if any detail, so pretty plain. Sometimes character actions seemed off. *SPOILER AHEAD* Like in the beginning Mae and her friends find a severed arm in the city and start to poke at it. They forget about it for days afterwards and it seems like the game itself forgot about it too. Then it kept bringing up Aunt Mall Cop as some sort of weird Red Herring who showed up and disappeared and ultimately contributed nothing to the plot.
    Otherwise, this game was interesting, I enjoyed learning about Mae's mystery more than the mystery of disappearing town folk, but that's just me.
  6. Fuz
    Aug 25, 2018
    Amazing art style, fantastic narrative, witty writing and dialogues, great characters and setting. All of this game's outline is adorable.
    The problem is... it's not really a game. It plays itself, you just have to hold left or right, and click during dialogues. It's just a tale that you spectate. It's still a very enjoyable experience, but it's a shame there's not an actual game inside this beautiful package. It would have been a great P&C adventure.
  7. Mar 3, 2017
    I first heard about NITW when kickstarter for it was up, and decided to give it a go when it would come out.
    During all this long years since announcement I managed to forgot about it entirely. Surprisingly enough, this would be my game of 2017 - maybe NITW is not ideal gameplay-wise, but I really doubt that something comparable by emotional impact would come out in years to come. 10/10, highly recommend.
  8. Mar 18, 2017
    Admittedly, Night in the Woods has some patches where the game feels slow and tedious, however this is completely out shadowed by the feel of the setting, the charming characters along with their wonderfully written interactions. I wouldn't call Night in the Woods a traditional game, it flows something more like say a Tell-tale game where it focuses on characters and themes such asAdmittedly, Night in the Woods has some patches where the game feels slow and tedious, however this is completely out shadowed by the feel of the setting, the charming characters along with their wonderfully written interactions. I wouldn't call Night in the Woods a traditional game, it flows something more like say a Tell-tale game where it focuses on characters and themes such as anxiety, self-wroth and may more self-reflecting ideas. However, this does come at the cost of the gameplay as there isn't much of it there to be quite honest; if this kind of thing isn't something you enjoy as a player I'd avoid NITWs.

Otherwise, if you do enjoy charmingly written characters, a memorable soundtrack, loving to search around for little bits of character details or just love being in a plain wonderful setting for a story then Night in the Woods is for you.
  9. Mar 23, 2017
    NITW is an exquisite game, with rich story, and each character have it's individual background story, plus an awfully nice music to listen while playing. But not everyone like this kind of game for sure, in this recent age, people like fast paced game more, instead seat down and enjoy the story. I played this game for 93 hours and i enjoyed every SECOND of it, even with this much of playNITW is an exquisite game, with rich story, and each character have it's individual background story, plus an awfully nice music to listen while playing. But not everyone like this kind of game for sure, in this recent age, people like fast paced game more, instead seat down and enjoy the story. I played this game for 93 hours and i enjoyed every SECOND of it, even with this much of play time i can still draw more connection between characters. And if you are interested in this game but don't know what to expect, play the game supplement (LOST CONSTELLATION & LONGEST NIGHT) to see what you will get in the NITW.(it's free, so why not?) Expand
  10. Feb 28, 2017
    This is amazing indie games of 2017 I have a huge blast playing it. I like the characters in the game. The art is to dead for it so stuck in my head. I give these game a awesome 10/10 best kick starter game!
  11. Apr 4, 2018
    While it markets itself as a story-based game, there is little actual story until well over the halfway point of the game. Since the game is largely devoid of a discernible narrative, the dialogue and character interactions should pick up the slack. If one is going to meander through a story, at least make it entertaining meandering, right? Unfortunately this isn't the case in Night inWhile it markets itself as a story-based game, there is little actual story until well over the halfway point of the game. Since the game is largely devoid of a discernible narrative, the dialogue and character interactions should pick up the slack. If one is going to meander through a story, at least make it entertaining meandering, right? Unfortunately this isn't the case in Night in the Woods.
    The dialogue is as meandering as any story and is more often than not unbearable trite. It can only be described as fruitless padding written by a person who has not once interacted with another human being. When the dialogue isn't busy being dull and monotonous, it takes itself to the opposite extreme and is unbearably obnoxious with its constant failed, out of place and out of character attempts at wit.
    Visuals are just about the sole bright spot on an otherwise embarrassingly horrid game.
  12. Apr 27, 2017
    This is one of the best story telling games of all time.

This is one of the best story telling games of all time.

Night In The Woods is a story focused adventure game which takes place with a cat named Mae, who is a collage drop out and going to live with her parents. She catches up to her normal friends, Gregg, Angus, and Bea. For the first 3-4 days, everything is normal, but then things started to get strange and it's Mae's job to figure out what is going on. It sounds simple, yes, but it's actually nicely written and the dialog is well thought out. It's a bit slow at first, but it's a good thing since it gives more time for character development and build up the setting. It even does a good job on balancing humor to the seriousness of the story.

The characters are amazingly written. Mae: A collage drop out cat that is having a hard life. Gregg: The Homosexual fox that only does and plays by his own rules. Angus: The Homosexual bear that is smart and had a hard childhood. Bea: A crocodile who is a goth who had her mother die from cancer.

Gameplay wise, it's just going from point A to B, while you interact with things. It even throws Mini-games into the gameplay as well, and most turned out quite fun.

The soundtrack is catchy, and beautifully put together. Crazy that this is made by 3 people!

I can't recommend this game enough. It's not perfect (no game is), but it's the best story adventure game we have gotten in quite some time.
  13. Mar 18, 2017
    Probably one of my favorite games of 2017 this far. The atmosphere is great, the character design is great, the dialogue is quirky and fun. There is just so much to love and so little to hate about this game, for me at least.
  14. Mar 19, 2017
    They sure made a fantastic story, characters, music, world. Every single character is unique in there own way. For me without a doubt, this game is one of the best indie game of 2017
  15. Feb 23, 2017
    NITW is like someone took parts of Bojack Horseman, Life is Strange, Stranger Things and the better coming-of-age movies and mixed them all together in the rustbelt to create something sincere and unique. ----------------

What I appreciated the most in my 8 1/2-hour playthrough was how the raw realism in the script, the setting and the narrative (including its main theme) blended so well with the cute, papercraft-resembling visuals and cozy musical score. ------------------------

The main character and her little group of friends were far from the cool, faux-witty and jaded hipsters I expected, and soon I wanted to see what would happen next, to see if I could get them to laugh or get a chance to make them feel better. The dialogue sequences were full of cute jokes, funny pastiches on "woke" lingo, flirting and some tense cringey moments that felt natural without being devoid of the writer's personal touch.-----------------------

This game is strong and has no real substitutes. I wish it was scarier at times and offered a slightly more elaborate ending, but I was satisfied with and slightly shaken by my journey. This game is serious, heavy and topical, but it doesn't *try* to be, and that means it is worth playing a few times to understand how it accomplishes something many game creators fail at.
  16. Jun 26, 2017
    This barely qualifies as a game. It's one small step above a visual novel. The only gameplay is jumping from one area to the next to initiate dialogue with each different character.

People are praising this story because the characters are realistic and relatable, but that's exactly why I don't like it. Real life is mundane, banal, and boring, and so are the real life worries that the characters have in this game. The writers are very presumptuous and opinionated about how they think life should be and they use their boring and uninteresting characters as a mouthpiece. It comes off as whiny to me.

The mystery/supernatural element is the only interesting thing about this game, and it takes a while to come to fruition.

Not my cup of tea. I play games for larger than life characters facing epic challenges. If you're into visual novels you may enjoy it.
  17. May 2, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved the art. The character designs, music, and background art was one of my absolute favorites. Despite that, the story was unbearable. It seemed to have no purpose other than "we're young and we hate everything", which may be relatable to some individuals. But if you don't necessarily identify with a shoplifting, knife wielding, wanna-be rebel who constantly refers to themselves as "trash" and is a jobless college dropout looking for ghosts and vandalizing graves... this isn't for you.

In addition, the plot was extremely confusing and at times had forced subplots (such as the cult) which were completely out of place. The dream sequence and having to walk back-and-forth constantly was tedious and felt like fluff. This can also be applied to the dialogue, where there were constant fillers of "..." and choppy sentences with the overuse of "like" and "ugh". With that said, none of the characters were likable or relatable, and were generally the same in terms of speech pattern and behavior. The game also did not provide the freedom of exploring or making choices.
    Overall, this would have been much better if it was a movie rather than a game.
  18. Mar 8, 2017
    Night in the woods was a great game (or maybe playable novel), it had an amazing story with awesome characters and artwork. However, the ending was what made this 7 instead of higher. The game's story telling seems to just fall off during the ending, so many questions are left unanswered in what feels like a hasty ending where the characters seem to act "out of character." Pretty much itNight in the woods was a great game (or maybe playable novel), it had an amazing story with awesome characters and artwork. However, the ending was what made this 7 instead of higher. The game's story telling seems to just fall off during the ending, so many questions are left unanswered in what feels like a hasty ending where the characters seem to act "out of character." Pretty much it is just to say after spending the 10 something hours on the story to have it end terribly was somewhat a bummer. Expand
  19. Mar 11, 2018
    Five Word Review: Neat adventure with interesting cast.
    Favorite Thing: The characters are great, especially Mae and Gregg.
    Least Favorite Thing: It take a little too long before the story gets going.

Date Completed: 2018-03-11
    Playtime: 8h
    Enjoyment: 7/10
    Recommendation: Yes, it's a solid adventure game - weird story, cool art, great music.
  20. Jan 6, 2018
    So now, in perspective:

Its not a real game, there is not a real interaction, so its close to a walking simulation. And there are a lot of stunning walking simulation in the market. This is not one of them. The 2d art is fine, but its not great. In fact, its fine for a flash game. In comparison with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (another walking simulator), this game is really meh.
    So now, in perspective:

The music is ok.
    And the story, if you are a teen and you don't get it, then may be this game is for you. My father was hippies (real hippies, not those wannabes) but they never tried to brainwashed me like the current SJW. This game is plain SJW propaganda and its cheap.

Its even directly anti capitalist and its curious, an anti-capitalist game that you could buy using the credit card of your parents. Evil parents and evil credit card company but everything else is OK.. right?. I don't get the current SJW movement and im glad that i don't understand it, thank you very much.

And about the game, is... lineal, it has some exploring features and mini games but in general is boring.

2 points: its not really a game, the graphics are meh, the history is meh and only gets 2 points because the music. Everything else is meh. I would give 6-8 points for a free game but its not for free, so nah!.
  21. Jul 16, 2017
    Absolutely amazing game, I'd recommend it to about anyone. The story is very good and the music through the whole game is beautiful, the game is probably the only one I'd want a squeal to.
  22. Nov 30, 2017
    Night in the Woods got amazing characters, detailed and colorful world, but the gameplay is kinda repetitive - sidescroll movement with almost no platforming or difficulty. You will have to check every location in town everyday to make sure that you won't miss a sidestory. And subplots are great here so you don't wonna miss them)
  23. Feb 25, 2017
    Night in the Woods is really slow, but has really nice story. There's a lot of common themes of depression/anxiety/apathy in there, which for me helped me really connect with the characters.
    Pacing wise, it starts out slow, but had enough to keep me going until the end (where it gets better and better).
    It does feel a lot like Life is Strange, but feels less involved.
  24. May 30, 2017
    Unberably slow, primarily because of the structure of the dialogues, made of micro-statements ("hello" (click) "hello" (click) "it's me" (click) "oh it's you" (click)), which ends up in very frustrating button mashing. Shame, because the artwork is very interesting.
  25. Jan 16, 2018
    Very awkward game. First off, there is not even enough justification for it to be a game. Gameplay consists mostly of holding "left" and a bunch of minigames which are too simplistic and uninspired to be enjoyable (Demontower is alright though).
    90% of content here is dialogue but the characters rarely have anything interesting to say. It's mostly fluff which is also delivered in the least engaging way possible. There are often scenes when characters act emotional and energetic but there is no indication of it whatsoever, no body language, no animations, no voice acting, not even ambient sound or music. It's just static picture with text for most of the time. RIP immersion.
    Overall, it's one of the most boring games I've ever played
  26. Jan 10, 2018
    Night In The Woods is a brilliant mash-up of quest and platformer , and also a perfect example of a story oriented game done right. Great dialogue, an ACTUALLY INTRIGUING AND COMPELLING STORY (*cough* Gone Home *cough*), the characters feel real, and your actions, words ACTUALLY HAVE have consequences, and idiotic things are never presented like a right thing to do, you get blame for themNight In The Woods is a brilliant mash-up of quest and platformer , and also a perfect example of a story oriented game done right. Great dialogue, an ACTUALLY INTRIGUING AND COMPELLING STORY (*cough* Gone Home *cough*), the characters feel real, and your actions, words ACTUALLY HAVE have consequences, and idiotic things are never presented like a right thing to do, you get blame for them (*cough* Life Is Strange *cough*). And as it's pretty obvious already - Night In The Woods has a brilliant, beautiful artstyle, and an extremely unique, unforgettable atmosphere.
    One of the best games not only of 2017, but a whole decade, if not - the whole time.
  27. Feb 25, 2017
    i knew nothing about this game before going in. didn't even watch the trailer just say the art style and genre. unfortunately the pace is just way way to slow. i even fell asleep playing it. it mostly focuses on the narrative on not any real type of gameplay. i kept feeling this would make a much better short graphic novel.

i like the art style and the music but it's not enough to keep

i like the art style and the music but it's not enough to keep me entertained.

oh and another annoyance is the linearity. i recall early on going to the video store looking for angus, speaking to some girl there who never spoke of angus... that is until, i'd gone to another store spoke to someone who said angus was at the video store and when i went back the girl she now spoke of angus.
  28. May 14, 2017
    I repetitive side-scroller about a college dropout, bisexual cat with "issues". From a technical standpoint, the engine is terrific. The town is busy and lively. But it's linear story really is just walking back and forth talking to people with an occasional weak puzzle thrown in. It gives you the illusion of choice while it forces you to follow it down its liberal agenda in the guise of aI repetitive side-scroller about a college dropout, bisexual cat with "issues". From a technical standpoint, the engine is terrific. The town is busy and lively. But it's linear story really is just walking back and forth talking to people with an occasional weak puzzle thrown in. It gives you the illusion of choice while it forces you to follow it down its liberal agenda in the guise of a secret cult story. Expand
  29. Aug 7, 2018
    Charming story. The world in the game is unique but you feel close. Recommend it.
  30. Sep 7, 2018
  31. Jan 30, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Night in the Woods is a game that explores anxiety, depression, a small town losing the last bit of luster it has, the struggles of death, lack of money, and an interesting group of friends - all within a cartoonish town with anthropomorphic animals. If that doesn't make you want to play, I don't know what will.

I took my time, completing the game in about 17 hours with 42% of achievements unlocked. I took my time playing this and accepted just about every invitation from town-goers to join them on their excursions or listen to their stories. It seems I'm a bit on the slow side, but Night in the Woods isn't a game to rush, it's a game to enjoy and take in.

The graphics are cute and quirky and the music fits the mood, at times creating a sense of longing, and other times creating a sense of urgency - and everything in-between. The overarching story follows Mae, but to get a real sense of the town and the struggles of it you must explore, and communicate with the townsfolk daily. Some may find this to be a chore, and while this is somewhat true, I feel that Night in the Woods is paced fairly well, adding new suspense, mini-games, or scenery just as the town is getting long in the tooth.

A well worthwhile experience, I'm very happy that I played this.
  32. Mar 20, 2018
    Very cool and depressing millennial simulator. Three of the four main characters in this game are some of the best written characters in video games.
  33. Dec 24, 2018
    One of the best written dialogues for a game, so much love, relationship depth, mental illness and real life vibes. Cockiness that reminds me about the movie Ghost World.

Love this damn game and yeah, Gregg rulez ok!
  34. Jan 17, 2019
    Good sense of humor and interesting characters, but there's not a lot of gameplay to latch on to. It's funny how the game gets you to behave like a teenager, there's a few weird characters around town, but inevitably you get bored and bug your friends at work.
  35. Mar 2, 2019
    I wouldn’t be surprised if some people found Night in the Woods boring. There is not much “gameplay” to speak of aside from some light platforming. What it does have though is one of the better stories I have come across in recent memory. It’s characters go through very relatable issues and aside from a couple plot twists is grounded in more reality than most games dare to dream of. TheI wouldn’t be surprised if some people found Night in the Woods boring. There is not much “gameplay” to speak of aside from some light platforming. What it does have though is one of the better stories I have come across in recent memory. It’s characters go through very relatable issues and aside from a couple plot twists is grounded in more reality than most games dare to dream of. The game puts you in the shoes of Mae who has just dropped out of college and moved back in with her parents and is trying to reconnect with friends while trying to navigate strange events happening in town.

I didn’t enjoy the main charcter at times as she is pretty much a screwup who doesn’t realize how childish she is being and is pretty selfish at times. That being said I see it as an authentic character as many people are like this and there is nothing saying I have to like a main character to enjoy a game. The supporting cast of her parents and her home town friends are all interesting in their own ways and I liked learning more about them as the story moved forward. The game consists of exploring around town talking to your friends, townsfolks and your parents. Depending on which friends you talk with will decide whose story you see the most of. Talking with certain townsfolk will shed more light on them as well. When you go to bed each night there is a dream section that is based around platforming sections to find the exit to the dream. The platforming sections are well done aside from the odd time I found them hard to navigate. They have a creepy quality about them and a great soundtrack. In between dealing with friends you can take part in voluntary mini games such as a 2D action game on Mae’s laptop and taking part in band practice with friends. Lukily the band practice can be skipped without consequence because it is like playing Rock Band which I depise. The game’s art direction was well done. It’s got a unique style to it that isn’t quite cell shaded or realistic, somewhere in between the two. There is no voice acting but I didn’t find this to be a bad thing. I will say that, while the overall story was fantastic, the last 15 minutes of the game felt rushed and left certain plot lines unfinished in my eyes. There are a lot of dialogue choices you get to make when talking to people, how much they affect the story I’m unsure of.

I played Night in the Woods on Linux. It never crashed on me once. I used build 406 from Itch.io. Alt-Tab didn’t work for me. There were no graphics options to speak of to adjust aside from choosing resolution and choosing between full-screen and windowed mode. I get that spectacular graphics were not a high priority for the developers, they weren’t shooting to make the next Crysis, but being able to crank up AA, AF, etc is kind of a standard feature on PC games. It took me just over 6 hours to finish the game. There are no difficulty settings. There were no manual saves allowed. It says that you can “save and quit” at any time but “saving” means dumping you at the last checkpoint and the game doesn’t do a good job of letting you know when those are happening so often I had to repeat little bits. The game never lagged on me at all and was smooth as butter.

Overall Night in the Woods was a great experience. It had a wonderful story full of great characters, was very stable, had great art and soundtrack. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. Those who enjoy games like Oxenfree, Life is Strange, Gone Home and other games that focus on Story will probably love Night in the Woods. I paid $19.99 USD for it and I found it was well worth the price.

My Score: 8.5/10

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X | 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15 | MSI RX 580 8GB Gaming X | Mesa 18.3.3 | Manjaro Mate | Kernel 4.20.11-1-MANJARO | AOC G2460P @1920*1080 144hz
  36. Feb 4, 2018
    Night In The Woods is a game I can appreciate from an artistic and critical standpoint but personally wasn't as engaging as I thought it would be. While mostly well written, the cyclic and slow-paced gameplay became rather tedious, and some of the supernatural elements introduced in the later half of the game felt out of place in an otherwise competent coming-of-age story.
  37. Nov 17, 2018
    Visual part of the game is great. Animation and characters looks pretty well. But quests, story and dialogs are very poor, After hours and hours of reading tons of dialogs you really understand that they miss something important. Maybe they or writers. I think Bethany Hockenberry, one of the writers, simply copied herself in all of characters of the game so they had different story,Visual part of the game is great. Animation and characters looks pretty well. But quests, story and dialogs are very poor, After hours and hours of reading tons of dialogs you really understand that they miss something important. Maybe they or writers. I think Bethany Hockenberry, one of the writers, simply copied herself in all of characters of the game so they had different story, different life, but they all speak and sound identically. And the story... You play and play game waiting for something really interesting to happen but it doesn`t. And in the end when main story finds its final shape you asking yourself and that`s all you wanted to tell? Expand
  38. May 20, 2019
    While you might not expect it from a game with such a cute aesthetic, Night in the Woods isn't afraid to tackle heavy issues, such as mental health, existential dread, and the decay of America's rural towns.

Some of the game's highlights include its entertainingly witty dialogue, delightful art style, and believable characters. Even if your own background differs from that of the protagonist Mae, you may find yourself relating to her if you've ever struggled with social anxiety or low self-worth, or simply felt lost. Her signature snarkiness is also welcome as it brings some comic relief to some of the game's darker moments.

Scenes with Mae's colorful cast of friends make for some of Night in the Woods' best moments. It's difficult to choose between wild child Gregg and sarcastic, down-to-earth Bea. If you want to experience all of the scenes with each character, you'll have to go back for a second playthrough.

For all its charms, Night in the Woods isn't without flaws. For a game with an already slow pace, some of the platforming can get a little tedious, particularly in the dream sequences, which, while beautifully rendered, can start to feel like a bit of a chore, particularly toward the end of the game. Gameplay also involves a lot of wandering around the world. This can feel aimless at times due to the lack of a clear goal or path to take, but does make sense considering the game's story and themes.

There's also plenty to see in Possom Springs, and completionists will enjoy chatting with the many periphery characters inhabiting the game's world and powering through plentiful mini-games, including the challenging yet strangely addictive game-within-a-game Demon Tower.

Night in the Woods will take you for an emotional ride, and its anthropomorphic characters can sometimes feel more human than real people. It's one of those games that stays with you long after you've finished playing it.
  39. Jun 3, 2018
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  40. Apr 9, 2018
    Pro: Characters
    Con: Pacing
    Holding the control stick to the left or right between dialogue sequences, bad mini-games occurring about once every hour, and about 10 hours of setting up characters who are mostly irrelevant when the plot finally gets moving and wraps up in the last hour and a half. As a webcomic I would have liked this, but as a video game I think this is one of the
    Pro: Characters
    Con: Pacing

As a webcomic I would have liked this, but as a video game I think this is one of the worst uses of the medium I've ever seen. If you want some fiction about relatable young adults, I strongly recommend you look elsewhere.
  41. Jul 20, 2018
    Incredibly well written. The game portrayed social life through those animal friends perfectly ( and yes i'm talking about the ending also ). It had a great impact on my life after a lot of things i've been through, because this game helped me realize i'm not the only one or in a minority who's being through these problems.
  42. Apr 30, 2019
    One of my all time favourites. Night In The Woods is an amazing storytelling game with great funny characters and interesting plot. Every person is unique and interesting to come around and talk to. The music is next-level and probably is as amazing as in Undertale (or even better!).
    But, they left a huge plot hole and, as I know, there will be no continuation. This is sad, because the main story had much potential and it was a little bit ruined.
    In conclusion, if you like relaxing story-telling games, which doesn't focus that much on the gameplay - This is the must-play one for you
  43. Oct 27, 2018
    Probably the only game ( novel ) up to this point described all the problems we have in our society in a perfectly animated art style.
  44. Nov 10, 2018
    Loved the story, characters, the town vibe, graphics, soundtrack, but should this be a game? We don't do much except walking and sometimes picking up pizza slices or playing bass etc. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but they could've give us more to do. All in all this game was an amazing experience. Pickens approves!
  45. Dec 2, 2018
    Beautiful Game. Takes you on a modern coming of age trip (especially through the downs). It's slow, but very calming and the graphic design is a 10. I give NITW a 9, because it´s more like reading a book than gaming, but in the best way possible and the creators didn't miss out on some actually relevant themes in the life of young folks today.
  46. Feb 20, 2019
  47. Mar 26, 2019
    I honestly don't know where to begin with this game. It's a roller-coaster ride of emotions from start to finish and connected with me on a level that no other game has before.
  48. May 12, 2019
    This game is absolutely terrible. it lacks any game play what so ever so the only thing it relies on is the dialogue and story and needless to say both are horrendous . your choices have practically 0 effect on the story and no one talks like real people. I've seen many people praise this game for how natural the dialogue is but it all boils down to the words "like" or "ugh" with many textThis game is absolutely terrible. it lacks any game play what so ever so the only thing it relies on is the dialogue and story and needless to say both are horrendous . your choices have practically 0 effect on the story and no one talks like real people. I've seen many people praise this game for how natural the dialogue is but it all boils down to the words "like" or "ugh" with many text boxes only containing 1 of those 2 words, or lol random xD middle school humor, you know when a kid says "lol muffinz" thats as deep as the humor gets . if you think this is how real 20 year old acts you've probably spent all of high school and middle school writing fan fiction. The story itself is nothing, you walk around at a snails pace reading the most boring or unfunny dialogue until the last hour of this around 9 hour snooze fest when they try to force a crappy murder mystery down your throat. the story has no setup aside from someone mentioning a murder off hand like twice and it does not connect at all to the rest of the game nor does it make any sense. As much as game theory wants you to think this game is a metaphor for something all kids go through theres just no deeper meaning here. its just unrealistic characters doing and saying mundane things. theres no game play aside from walking at .2 mph(and like 2 terrible minigames) and theres no story that you cant get from scrolling down tumblr in 2012 its just a complete waste of 9 hours. Expand
  49. May 25, 2019
    Emotional, mature, and honest, Night In The Woods is an exploration of adulthood, maturity, religion, mental health and personal relationships in a very unique way wrapped around a good light horror and cosmic horror packaging. Scary when it needs to be and emotional all the time, this might have been one of the most touching games I've ever played and I can identify with every character'sEmotional, mature, and honest, Night In The Woods is an exploration of adulthood, maturity, religion, mental health and personal relationships in a very unique way wrapped around a good light horror and cosmic horror packaging. Scary when it needs to be and emotional all the time, this might have been one of the most touching games I've ever played and I can identify with every character's very much human and tri-dimensional struggle because life can be crappy, whether or not you have to deal with ghosts. Expand

1. May 23, 2017
    A warm, moving tale of alienation and redemption in the era of late stage capitalism.
  2. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    A delightfully different narrative experience that offers the perfect blend of serious and silly. [Apr 2017, p.79]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 18, 2017
    Beautifully created adventure game will catch you not only for its visuals, but mainly by the way it observes the problems of young adults. [Issue#273]