7.8

1. Sep 16, 2017
    This game looks beautiful, the graphics are simple but well done and allow the creators to tell a very adult tale with the visuals of a child's cartoon. The story is interesting but not complicated, and the characters are very likeable. I loved the whole feel and had fun pottering around this world for a bit. The controls are few and very basic so not much to learn and won't stretch yourThis game looks beautiful, the graphics are simple but well done and allow the creators to tell a very adult tale with the visuals of a child's cartoon. The story is interesting but not complicated, and the characters are very likeable. I loved the whole feel and had fun pottering around this world for a bit. The controls are few and very basic so not much to learn and won't stretch your brain. Some of the dialogue was a bit excessive, and I admittedly lost patience a couple of times. The dream sequences are nice although there are a lot of them and they're almost identical, the soundtrack suited them perfectly. All in all this game was a good ride, presented well and not overly challenging. It has a brilliant sense of humour, and I very much enjoyed it. Expand
  2. Nov 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros: Atmospheric at times, really nice music, nice characters that make you care about them. I was able to empathize, admire, and recognize myself in many of the characters.
    Cons: Story got kind of muddled, and at the end it seemed like the protagonist was just trying to say a lot of insightful stuff when really, I just wanted her to develop as a person. Just a tiny bit. And it was atmospheric 'at times' because while the town was pretty and simple too look at with trees and leaves, the rest of the scenery was just solid color blocks with little if any detail, so pretty plain. Sometimes character actions seemed off. *SPOILER AHEAD* Like in the beginning Mae and her friends find a severed arm in the city and start to poke at it. They forget about it for days afterwards and it seems like the game itself forgot about it too. Then it kept bringing up Aunt Mall Cop as some sort of weird Red Herring who showed up and disappeared and ultimately contributed nothing to the plot.
    Otherwise, this game was interesting, I enjoyed learning about Mae's mystery more than the mystery of disappearing town folk, but that's just me.
  3. Fuz
    Aug 25, 2018
    Amazing art style, fantastic narrative, witty writing and dialogues, great characters and setting. All of this game's outline is adorable.
    The problem is... it's not really a game. It plays itself, you just have to hold left or right, and click during dialogues. It's just a tale that you spectate. It's still a very enjoyable experience, but it's a shame there's not an actual game inside this beautiful package. It would have been a great P&C adventure.
  4. Mar 8, 2017
    Night in the woods was a great game (or maybe playable novel), it had an amazing story with awesome characters and artwork. However, the ending was what made this 7 instead of higher. The game's story telling seems to just fall off during the ending, so many questions are left unanswered in what feels like a hasty ending where the characters seem to act "out of character." Pretty much itNight in the woods was a great game (or maybe playable novel), it had an amazing story with awesome characters and artwork. However, the ending was what made this 7 instead of higher. The game's story telling seems to just fall off during the ending, so many questions are left unanswered in what feels like a hasty ending where the characters seem to act "out of character." Pretty much it is just to say after spending the 10 something hours on the story to have it end terribly was somewhat a bummer. Expand
  5. Mar 11, 2018
    Five Word Review: Neat adventure with interesting cast.
    Favorite Thing: The characters are great, especially Mae and Gregg.
    Least Favorite Thing: It take a little too long before the story gets going.

Date Completed: 2018-03-11
    Playtime: 8h
    Enjoyment: 7/10
    Recommendation: Yes, it's a solid adventure game - weird story, cool art, great music.
  6. Feb 25, 2017
    Night in the Woods is really slow, but has really nice story. There's a lot of common themes of depression/anxiety/apathy in there, which for me helped me really connect with the characters.
    Pacing wise, it starts out slow, but had enough to keep me going until the end (where it gets better and better).
    It does feel a lot like Life is Strange, but feels less involved.
  7. Sep 7, 2018
  8. Jan 17, 2019
    Good sense of humor and interesting characters, but there's not a lot of gameplay to latch on to. It's funny how the game gets you to behave like a teenager, there's a few weird characters around town, but inevitably you get bored and bug your friends at work.
  9. Feb 4, 2018
    Night In The Woods is a game I can appreciate from an artistic and critical standpoint but personally wasn't as engaging as I thought it would be. While mostly well written, the cyclic and slow-paced gameplay became rather tedious, and some of the supernatural elements introduced in the later half of the game felt out of place in an otherwise competent coming-of-age story.
  10. Nov 17, 2018
    Visual part of the game is great. Animation and characters looks pretty well. But quests, story and dialogs are very poor, After hours and hours of reading tons of dialogs you really understand that they miss something important. Maybe they or writers. I think Bethany Hockenberry, one of the writers, simply copied herself in all of characters of the game so they had different story,Visual part of the game is great. Animation and characters looks pretty well. But quests, story and dialogs are very poor, After hours and hours of reading tons of dialogs you really understand that they miss something important. Maybe they or writers. I think Bethany Hockenberry, one of the writers, simply copied herself in all of characters of the game so they had different story, different life, but they all speak and sound identically. And the story... You play and play game waiting for something really interesting to happen but it doesn`t. And in the end when main story finds its final shape you asking yourself and that`s all you wanted to tell? Expand
  11. Jun 3, 2018
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.

1. May 23, 2017
    A warm, moving tale of alienation and redemption in the era of late stage capitalism.
  2. Games Master UK
    May 19, 2017
    A delightfully different narrative experience that offers the perfect blend of serious and silly. [Apr 2017, p.79]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 18, 2017
    Beautifully created adventure game will catch you not only for its visuals, but mainly by the way it observes the problems of young adults. [Issue#273]