7.5

1. Apr 19, 2020
    I really like this game, but...

You can play up to 8 and there are 6 clans in the base version of the game. See the problem ? I don't think mirror matches should be a thing in an RTS. 8 different clans should be the very least, 12 (for example) would problably be wiser to at least allow some flexibility. I am waiting for the base game (DLC excluded !) to contain a decent number
    I really like this game, but...

You can play up to 8

and

there are 6 clans in the base version of the game.

See the problem ? I don't think mirror matches should be a thing in an RTS. 8 different clans should be the very least, 12 (for example) would problably be wiser to at least allow some flexibility. I am waiting for the base game (DLC excluded !) to contain a decent number of clans to change my red score into a green score and write a more extensive review. Until then, the red score is a sanction for asking 5 dollars for one single new clan !
  2. Apr 23, 2020
    I haven't played strategy games since the Command & Conquer days quite honestly. I thought it's important to mention where I'm coming from, and that I'm not hardcore into RTS games.
    Northgard looked pretty simple in that regard (in a good way), kind of what a strategy game would look like on a Nintendo switch.
    Well, the problem is that it's mostly about defending your base from wave

Well, the problem is that it's mostly about defending your base from wave after wave of enemies landing on your island. Even with the upgrade system, it gets tedious after a while without variety. Like for example you taking the fight to the enemy, or setting ambushes at sea. Overall, I didn't finish the game, it was fun for a short while, but if you are not much into the basic premise of the game, there isn't much else that will sustain the interest.
  3. Apr 22, 2020
    This has the makings of a good game but its odd ball attitude to developing land with restrictions like 3/3 buildings in a large area of land where more buildings could be constructed makes it unreasonably and illogically hard to develop your settlement.

I'm really at a loss to understand why game developers these days don't use common sense and apply the keep it simple rule. Being too clever can mean making a game un-enjoyable and frustrating. Such is the case here.
  4. Feb 22, 2022
    This game is okay, I got a good 15 hours of fun out of it before I started to see the holes that bothered me. I did enjoy the early ride though, I was quite hooked. It has some neat original mechanics and it's fun to master the concept.
    However after a while it wears on you because the story plot is garbage (dead father, save the world, zzz), the game constantly throws missions at you that are gimmicks that seem like betrayals because the game has taught you to play it one way, then with the gimmick you have to learn all over again. It feels like you have to hack the game concept several times over just to finish, which is never a good feeling and shows a bit of laaazy on the game designers part.
    Also, the worst part is after a while you really, really, really get the feeling you're just playing a Warcraft clone where the combat is no different than 1995.
    I think I got this on sale at GOG for like $8, I got enough play out of it for that value. Don't pay over $10 for this game.
  5. Jul 19, 2020
    A clone of "The settlers" very simplified without roads, with only a few buildings and a simple chain of production. If we were in 1990 i imagine it would be rated as an original game but now if you want to play "the settlers" just find you a good emulator and a avoid this useless copy
  6. May 27, 2021
    Before buying this game, ask yourself - would you like to play the game that exists only for devs to squeeze it until the last coin you can give to them? I don't mind it only if devs doing anything else except that. But this is the only reason why this game exist.
    How can I prove it to you? Easy! They have released an update in march which is broke game in many ways, some of bugs is still didn't fixed and what you think they did? They released a new clan! A new clan!!! Multiplayer is so POOR, you can't even block unwanted player from lobby! What am I about? You can't even see the players profile! Despite all of that they release a new clan!
    Some buttons in game are completely useless, like reports, youtube is full about cheats for this game, but devs will release a new clan to get more money from us, like there are no other problems in game and needs!

Don't you dare to tell it to them! You must praise them! Otherwise they will angry at you and without any hesitation will tell you about too many bugs in game and that much time they spent all the time fixing those bugs, like it some kind of achievement. I don't know how old those boys are, but it doesn't seems like old enough, they actually ban those, who dares to criticize them.

Obviously this game deserves a better devs team, game is good, but devs team barely understand what they doing. Each update delivers to the game more bugs and more weird changes, last update, for example, made trading with neutral fractions completely useless.

This game will never evolve, because tasks that devs got are about getting rich, but not about deliver a good product.
    Every update delivers more bugs, would you like to play such game?

Would I recommend this game to anyone? Hell no!
  7. Dec 19, 2021
    Highly Recommended : 10/10
    1. Graphics : GOOD
    2. Gameplay : GOOD
    Definitely worth a try !
  8. Jul 17, 2020
    it is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is goodit is good
  9. May 9, 2020
    Really good RTS and I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the single player campaign - would happily purchase any single player campaign DLC.

Felt a little different from a lot of RTS, in that expansion needs to be slow and steady for most of each mission.
  10. Lwb
    Nov 15, 2021
    I particularly like this game. Of course there is room to improvements BUT its a small game and its fun.
  11. Apr 13, 2020
    Northgard is a great RTS
    The game main focus is on colonizing new territories and resources balancing, although you need to fight for almost every territory against creeps or other players.
    There are 11 clans, 5 of them are DLCs with most of the clans have same units. Mainly, the differences between the non-DLC clans is the bonuses and special abilities (some clans have unique units /
    Northgard is a great RTS

There are 11 clans, 5 of them are DLCs with most of the clans have same units.
    Mainly, the differences between the non-DLC clans is the bonuses and special abilities (some clans have unique units / buildings).
    The DLC clans are more different one from another and from the non-DLC clans, by having unique mechanisms like own resources, slaves, sacrifice system and etc.

The game skirmish has a lot of customization options and with the maps being generated randomly (map starts undiscovered).
    There is only 1 campaign, shared by the 6 non-DLC clan, with a total of 11 missions.
    There is also a conquest campaign, where you choose a clan from all the 11 clans, and you have 11 missions, usually like skirmish but with special rules, and you get bonus for each mission (the maps are generated randomly).
  12. Aug 2, 2020
    The game is fun. You assign different jobs to the workers and you can create a nice little game. It is also about surviving in harsh weather and fending off draugers. The game is a little slow though. Wish they had a fast version. Hope they continue to make additional titles or improve upon northgard if they ever make a second one.
  13. Nov 27, 2020
    A really great game, super simple so if your not into that look elsewhere but a really great game. i have gotten many hours in on this game with friends and its simple enough (amount of available buildings) that i feel like almost anyone can pick this game up and go. I absolutely loved the campaign to recover the horn was fun and couldnt stop playing to see where it ended up, With mostA really great game, super simple so if your not into that look elsewhere but a really great game. i have gotten many hours in on this game with friends and its simple enough (amount of available buildings) that i feel like almost anyone can pick this game up and go. I absolutely loved the campaign to recover the horn was fun and couldnt stop playing to see where it ended up, With most games like this i gave it a 9 because i feel like they could have developed more campaigns to play in this style without breaking any kind of budget. Expand
  14. May 13, 2022
    ни придраться - добротная, приятная стратежка (в RTS не сильно разбираюсь)
  15. Jul 1, 2022
    Greedy microtransaction.
    Horribly unbalanced clans & Pay2Win.
    Excessively boring multiplayer.
    Overly simple mechanics.
    Grossly incompetent game developers who I found out literally lie to their players.
  16. May 26, 2021
    Northgard is an exceptionally good game whose support has still not ended. The creators respond to the needs of players on an ongoing basis by adding new clans or cosmetic options.
    The gameplay is straightforward, but each clan requires a different approach. Sometimes these differences are bigger, sometimes smaller. Certainly, thanks to the numerous game modes and the campaign, we can ensure the game for many dozen hours.
    (It should be added that the game has a very atmospheric soundtrack, although for some it is too calm.)
  17. Jul 31, 2022
    Gra poprawna, ale nie ma w niej nic nowego i ciekawego. Bardzo uproszczona. Przypomina gry w przeglądarkach.
  18. May 21, 2021
    Mükemmel bir strateji keşif oyunu indirime girdi bütün dlc + saundtrack leriyle aldım müQ

Generally favorable reviews - based on 14 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 10, 2022
    Northgard is one of the prettiest titles in the genre, and with a very addicting gameplay loop, players are sure to spend several dozen hours to it.
  2. CD-Action
    Jun 5, 2018
    I felt Northgard’s unintuitive rules of territorial expansion needlessly limit my options but once I got used to them I had fun. Look for this game on Steam sales. [05/2018, p.75]
  3. Jun 3, 2018
    Northgard is a refreshing and pleasing experience, thanks to the elements it draws from RTS, 4X and even management games.