6.5

1. Jun 17, 2019
    Alright JRPG. The best aspect of the game is the beautiful artstyle.

It also, while mostly being as classic as a JRPG can be, tries something new with its story. The game has 8 individual main characters with their own story. These character join together after a while, but everyone follows their own path. This brings the biggest problem of the game: the 8 characters aren't
    Alright JRPG. The best aspect of the game is the beautiful artstyle.

This brings the biggest problem of the game: the 8 characters aren't interacting with each other, at all. Only in specific events, but those aren't connected to each others story.

Overall still a decent game, worth checking out if you enjoy SNES era JRPGs
  2. Jun 25, 2019
    Great visuals and the combat is good for a jrpg. The stories of the main characters are pretty interesting but I dislike the way that the game tells the stories, they also don't connect the stories or characters very well.
  3. Sep 3, 2019
    Octoparth traveler review

Octoparth traveler is an original JRPG TURN BASED game. The game will feature the main characters to choose from up to 8 characters, each character will have a path. Proceed with your own story Story So, I have to say, very interesting. I can see a complex story that is interesting through 8 path. !!!! But w.w.w.w.w. Wait a minute If you are thinking
    Octoparth traveler review

Octoparth traveler is an original JRPG TURN BASED game.

Story
    But w.w.w.w.w. Wait a minute
    If you are thinking (like me) that
    Each character will meet and create many stories on the same main story ............
    Must say that Sorry
    Because the thing that depends on Octoparth traveler is .........
    It is a total of 8 separate stories.
    With only a very short conversation, which the characters interactive during the journey.
    And these 8 main stories are NOT connected at all.
    Good thing is, it's easy to dev.
    But its very bad disadvantage is that like you are playing 8 short JRPG games.
    ....................... boring
    So, the story of this game is not as I expected.

Game play

Turn based ADD-ON with weak point system
    And BT system a sytem similar power potential reward.
    Which both parts make the game easier !!!
    Or more difficult???
    Without the status edition system like the original JRPG
    The STATUS is change only from leveled up or
    Change secondary job, weapons, armor,
    And can use special items that can up some status that can be found in side quests.
    I had fun at first.
    But I think that this system is not good enough for carry on playing all long 8 stories.
    For me, I enjoyed the first 60% of the game.
    and then require effort to finish the game.
    ......................... so boring
    So, it is a good system. But for boring people like me.
    It might have Better story To be overlooked, use repetitive commands

Graphic and sound
    Although the game is made in the form of 2.5 D
    But with the power of Unreal engine 4
    The light and shadow of the game is displayed very beautiful and impressive.
    Although I would like to see more pictures of the main characters
    Well, at this point there should be an ANIME CUTSCENE to make the characters look more alive.
    Or an anime character display when talking can help.
    at least, you will get to see the character's emotion.
    As for the music, I think that the music is smooth and fits the atmosphere of the game.
    Considered to be better than the standard of JRPG in general nowadays

In summary, Octoparth traveler is a very good JRPG TURN BASED game. And if you are looking for this type of game
    Octoparth traveler is a good choice. I scored Octoparth traveler equal to Suki pot / 10 The Octoparth traveler storyline Will not reach what I expected But with a good concept and beautiful graphics Also made me have a good time some day. For the value, I think it is in a very good spot if the price is lower than 33 usd down. If you already have a lot of pickling games already Recommend to wait first Get it when reduced in price ^^ KNOT-SAMA
  4. Sep 14, 2019
    OT is interesting in some ways but difficult in other. There are 8 stories separate from one another, some more interesting then others, The problem is the interest level. I had trouble to relate to those stories and characters because there were too many and not focus into a main one. So, in a sens, there was no real tension in it. The visual are pretty nice for a 8 bit style game. TheOT is interesting in some ways but difficult in other. There are 8 stories separate from one another, some more interesting then others, The problem is the interest level. I had trouble to relate to those stories and characters because there were too many and not focus into a main one. So, in a sens, there was no real tension in it. The visual are pretty nice for a 8 bit style game. The combat is fun.

The exploration is too often for the same types of items. Each character has a unique ability regarding interaction with NPC. Some are interesting, some are hard to understand, some too similar. I lost interest after 6 characters and couldn't motivate myself to explore anymore. I give a 65%. If it wasn't for the strange structure, it could have been better. But as it stands, it's just a bunch of side quests.
  5. Jun 11, 2019
    Great game I've played the game using Xbox one, PS4, and Xbox 360 and all work fine for me on PC. The game brings me back to the awesome JRPGs from the 90s with a modern look. You definitely should add this game to your steam collection
  6. Jun 13, 2019
    El mejor sistema de combate por turnos, con unas historias muy personales con las que empatizas y juegas deseando ver el desenlace. Artísticamente me parece maravilloso.
  7. Sep 17, 2019
    This is among the most disappointing JRPGs I've ever played.

At first I was pulled in by its beautiful artstyle and more than beautiful soundtrack, but that is pretty much it. You could compare it to a disfigured and moldy pumpkin trying to hide its atrocities behind make up and plastic surgeries. The writing is beyond horrible. Characters that almost constantly act out of character,
    This is among the most disappointing JRPGs I've ever played.

The writing is beyond horrible. Characters that almost constantly act out of character, don't make sense whatsoever and doing things that - sure keep the story going but - do not make sense whatsoever. And instead of anyone questioning their behaviour like a normal person would, everyone just takes it the way it is. Good writing shouldn't need these inconsistencies only to keep the story going, instead its characters should keep it going naturally. Other than that it was able to partake in the biggest sin of story-writing possible: Overexposition. Whatever you see on screen, the game will not hesitate to think you stupid enough not to have taken in what happened and explains it in great depths, over and over again. Then of course it also mostly deals with themes explored by many RPGs before it, making it feel even lazier and more uncreative.

If that was the only gripe I have with this game, at the very least it could be a fun little gameplay-heavy game, but the gameplay is subpar at best for that to happen. Enemies, no matter if random encounter or bosses, are the epitome of bulletsponges. Fights are far from hard, after hours of playing it not once did I die, but instead fights are stretched out like an old stepped upon bubblegum. They are merely there to artificially make the game longer. Enemies weaknesses do not make sense most of the time and unlike other, good, JRPGs are just a guessing game, which makes the fights even more atrocious. The animations, slowdowns and particle effects at least make the actual attacks feel satisfying, but if the main parts of the fighting system can't hold up, that doesn't save it either.

So the fighting system is frustratingly annoying and the story-writing is insultingly bad... What else makes a good RPG? Freedom and exploring! The game is rather free with you being able to choose from 8 different characters that have different stories from the start to fit your playstyle. However outside of battle - in which they all behave relatively same-y - they only get one "skill" for you to use. Things like being able to steal from people, charm them or provocate them for a fight should make the game more interesting, but they barely have any consequences outside of what items you got, how much experience you get or which places to go. Places are by the way scarce. The big "open" world is designed in such a linear fashion, that exploration mostly consists of going off the path for a few seconds to open randomly placed chests. Now linearity is not a bad thing per se, but in a game where there isn't much of anything else, it was the last hope to get some good out of it.

The controls weren't problematic, as I've played it with my gamepad instead of using my mouse and keyboard, as that is just my preferred way of playing JRPGs. So I can't say much about how it does control with mouse and keyboard.

My recommendation is to save your money for something better. The gameplay, the story and the exploration are beyond disappointing. Listen to the soundtrack on YouTube or buy it extra somewhere else and avoid this game as well as possible.
  8. Jun 9, 2019
    Octopath Traveler is a beautiful JRPG that feels and looks like the classics of old.
    But like most classic games, it is certainly not perfect and left something to be desired.
    I won't go too much into the story. Just know that you play as 8 different characters (4 in your Party at any time) and that they have their own story, that, very rarely and sadly very poorly, intermingles with

I won't go too much into the story.
    Just know that you play as 8 different characters (4 in your Party at any time) and that they have their own story, that, very rarely and sadly very poorly, intermingles with that of their teammates. In fact, the story is the most disappointing part about this game. It doesn't have the 'epicness' of Final Fantasy VI or the intrigue of something like Chrono Trigger. It feels... empty? Something is certainly left to be desired.
    The same sadly goes for the characters as well; most of them are more like caricatures, archetypes or stereotypes, rather than actually fleshed out characters.

The game-play on the other hand makes up for everything bad about the story and characters.
    It's your classical turn-based JRPG that we all know and love. Specific characters can use specific weapons or spells, thus making every party member valuable. Square Enix also carried over a modified version of a mechanic they used in their other game "Bravely Default", where, after you chose to 'default' (defend) your character would gain an action point and they could be used to move several times in one turn. In this modified state however, you gain a point every turn, and you can not only go several times per turn, but also power-up your spells and techniques to make them even more deadly.
    The enemy variety is also quite big, thus making combat less repetitive and actually fun, no matter at which point in the game you are.

The sound design is also amazing.
    Both Japanese and English voice acting is pretty good, but there are some exceptions in the English VA, which is why I would personally recommend playing with the Japanese VA.
    Sound effects and BGM are really good and crisp, especially the BGM.
    The OST in general just... perfect. Go listen to it when you get the chance!

Finally, the graphics.
    This game has an 16-Bit graphics style alongside some modern VFX, and it is an absolutely beautiful blend. Even on the Switch with 720p in docked mode, this game looks amazing! It is at 60 FPS, which makes it even better!
    16-Bit graphics have always and will always look good in my eyes, however that pushed the game over the edge are the VFX. Spells, Water/the Ocean, Dark Caves... They all look so much more impressive thanks to the amazing VFX.

Tl;Dr Octopath Traveler is a beautiful nod to JRPGs of the past, specifically SNES JRPGs, and it's really good at what it's trying to accomplish, even though it does have some hiccups in the story department. Overall, most certainly worth a purchase, if you don't own it on Switch already. If that's the case, wait for a price drop, since there is nothing new here except for improved graphics and framerate
  9. Jun 8, 2019
    Played 75 hours on switch and now looking forward to complete it on Pc. Awesome game.
  10. Jun 8, 2019
    Парни, единственный русский обзор
    Игра - не стоит своих денег ни разу, не берите, особенно в стим за 4500
  11. Jun 8, 2019
    This is an old fashioned J-RPG game with lengthiness dialogue and turn-based fight that would cost the player massive time. The interest in the plots is faded in such a long and boring time. BTW, Xbox controller is not supported in this game, and keyboard input sucks too. I recommended you not to spend your time and money on Octopath Traveller. If you really a J-RPG lover and want to tryThis is an old fashioned J-RPG game with lengthiness dialogue and turn-based fight that would cost the player massive time. The interest in the plots is faded in such a long and boring time. BTW, Xbox controller is not supported in this game, and keyboard input sucks too. I recommended you not to spend your time and money on Octopath Traveller. If you really a J-RPG lover and want to try this game, I suggest you buy the NS edition that controller is supported and you can sell the game card after finishing it. Expand
  12. Jun 7, 2019
    Octopath Traveler is a good old jrpg. Thanks for the beta testing, bing bing wahoo!
  13. Jul 11, 2019
    Great game with a fantastic combat system. If you are into the JRPG genre then this is a must play for you!
  14. Jun 15, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great pixel art and BGM, stories.
    I love 'n it as SaGa Frontier.
    I have not Nintendo Switch.
    I'm dissatisfied that this game's price, but FINAL FANTASY VI was $ 120 when I bought 30years ago.
  15. Aug 17, 2020
    I wanted to love it but it was just bad. Story was a mess, combat wasn't interesting and you couldn't take 2 steps between random encounters that take far too long to deal with. The graphics and sound weren't bad for what they aimed for but still could've been better, especially at full price.
  16. Jun 20, 2019
    I do not know why the bad reviews if this game gives you a classic rpg experience with pixel art graphics but do not feel old you really stop and appreciate the beautiful work that is behind you all this and the story something fundamental in the rpg is wonderful I love the approach that I could give but I already spend 40 hours of game
  17. Nov 1, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Я скажу коротко, честно и по-русски - ХУ-Е-ТА ! Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2020
    I really wanted to love this game, but a great JRPG needs to have better writing.

Pros: Extremely extensive gameplay (I've put in 75 hours, and probably have 25 hours left before beating every story line) The battle system is simple but morphs and evolves throughout the game, making it different with each boss. The quaint atmosphere allows the game play to be very casual, excellent

The quaint atmosphere allows the game play to be very casual, excellent for relaxing.

Cons: The characters/story lines do not interact with each other in any authentic way. (About 1/3 of the way into the game, they do start talking but it feels very forced/unnatural).
    The game is essentially 32 bosses interspersed with tiny dungeons that have no real riddles or problems to solve.
    The battle graphics could have been a bit more elaborate seeing as more than half of the game takes place within the battle system.
    The story lines are so simple and outdated. You can find these kinds of stories in kids' picture books. Nothing really intriguing.
  19. May 1, 2020
    Sehr schönes Game, wunderbarer Grafikstil und motivierendes Kampfsystem. Endlich mal wieder ein gutes jrpg von Square enix
  20. May 13, 2020
    Sadly this is just an overpriced generic JRPG. You can probably recreate this game yourself in RPG maker in a few days.
  21. Aug 1, 2020
    An underrated game that needs more attention, the return of classic turn based jrpg is the best, the characters are amazing, their specific skills are great and useful in situations then you just relate to them one way or another. The soundtrack in this is one of the best, the art style is amazing! I might buy it on the switch for portable playing!
  22. Oct 23, 2020
    De lo mejor del 2018 que por suerte lo podemos jugar en PC desde el año pasado, lo jugue en su momento en la switch y ahora tiene una magnifica oferta del 50% en steam y pensar poderlo jugar a 4k...es demasiada la tentacion, compra obligatoria en la plataforma que sea para los amantes del genero.
  23. Dec 3, 2020
    Es una pena que un sistema de combate tan atractivo se vea lastrado por una historia tan vacía y superflua. El juego en sus primeros compases es soporífero y solamente desafiante en el tramo final

Generally favorable reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 18, 2019
    An otherwise delightful and nostalgic JRPG, Octopath Traveler's lack of an integrated story leaves the experience feeling empty in the end.
  2. Aug 27, 2019
    In the end, I love what Octopath Traveler is trying to do with its shieldbreaking and its eight-way narrative, but it’s probably better suited to the Switch than the PC. It feels like a title that needs to be played in short bursts, as is fitting for Nintendo’s portable platform. Perhaps I wouldn’t be as frustrated with its quirks if I walked away from time to time and did something else — I will go back and complete the quest, but for now, I just need a break.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    An excellent port of a great game, that still requires a controller to enjoy it to the fullest. It has 8 great stories, 8 interesting characters, a bunch of mechanics to use and most of all - a tone of hours to pour into it and finish it all.