6.4

1. Jun 17, 2019
    Alright JRPG. The best aspect of the game is the beautiful artstyle.

It also, while mostly being as classic as a JRPG can be, tries something new with its story. The game has 8 individual main characters with their own story. These character join together after a while, but everyone follows their own path. This brings the biggest problem of the game: the 8 characters aren't
    Alright JRPG. The best aspect of the game is the beautiful artstyle.

This brings the biggest problem of the game: the 8 characters aren't interacting with each other, at all. Only in specific events, but those aren't connected to each others story.

Overall still a decent game, worth checking out if you enjoy SNES era JRPGs
  2. Jun 25, 2019
    Great visuals and the combat is good for a jrpg. The stories of the main characters are pretty interesting but I dislike the way that the game tells the stories, they also don't connect the stories or characters very well.
  3. Dec 24, 2020
    I did not play this game to it's completion. Better yet, to any of it's 8 completions.

But I believe I played enough of it and have seen enough reviews to make up my own opinion. The two strong points to this JRPG are the diverse storylines and the visual aspects. I was expecting a lot more out of it in terms of story-telling, and I was also very disappointed by it's art. Even though

I was expecting a lot more out of it in terms of story-telling, and I was also very disappointed by it's art. Even though it's good, it's nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. The stories aren't well connected, and just by playing the first four to five hours of the game you can tell the game isn't shaped correctly. The gameplay is not very in sync with the plot, nor is the narrative very well directed. Some bits go on for way too long even though they are ultimately trivial and without any significance.

It is unique though, and it has very fun twists. If you are a fan of this genre, you should not miss this game!
  4. Jun 12, 2021
    Art-style is great. Music is great. Combat is great.

Art-style is great. Music is great. Combat is great.

Now, on the downside, the story is very lackluster and the characters do not interact at all between them (except for the optional heart to hearts that don't contribute to the story). This had to be expected due to the nature of the game where you choose and pick adventures from eight different paths, but it definitely negatively impacts the game. The narrative also sounded rather pretentious, more in a few paths than others, with generally little substance.

Each character's chapter is essentially the game holding your hand very tightly to guide you from one cutscene to the next, to ultimately lead you to a minimal maze with random encounters and a boss at the end. Between this and the side quests that are often totally on the opposite side of the spectrum with their cryptic nature, I feel like the game failed at finding the right level of difficulty outside of battles.

Overall, the game hits some individual good notes, but isn't build well enough to hold everything together. I have finished the story of four characters in a semi-casual manner and have 59 hours of playtime on my save file (Likely 70 hours totally including the unsaved content). The first 5-10 hours was the best part for me.
  5. Dec 3, 2020
    Es una pena que un sistema de combate tan atractivo se vea lastrado por una historia tan vacía y superflua. El juego en sus primeros compases es soporífero y solamente desafiante en el tramo final
  6. Sep 14, 2019
    OT is interesting in some ways but difficult in other. There are 8 stories separate from one another, some more interesting then others, The problem is the interest level. I had trouble to relate to those stories and characters because there were too many and not focus into a main one. So, in a sens, there was no real tension in it. The visual are pretty nice for a 8 bit style game. TheOT is interesting in some ways but difficult in other. There are 8 stories separate from one another, some more interesting then others, The problem is the interest level. I had trouble to relate to those stories and characters because there were too many and not focus into a main one. So, in a sens, there was no real tension in it. The visual are pretty nice for a 8 bit style game. The combat is fun.

The exploration is too often for the same types of items. Each character has a unique ability regarding interaction with NPC. Some are interesting, some are hard to understand, some too similar. I lost interest after 6 characters and couldn't motivate myself to explore anymore. I give a 65%. If it wasn't for the strange structure, it could have been better. But as it stands, it's just a bunch of side quests.
  7. Sep 3, 2019
    Octoparth traveler review

Octoparth traveler is an original JRPG TURN BASED game. The game will feature the main characters to choose from up to 8 characters, each character will have a path. Proceed with your own story Story So, I have to say, very interesting. I can see a complex story that is interesting through 8 path. !!!! But w.w.w.w.w. Wait a minute If you are thinking
    Octoparth traveler review

Octoparth traveler is an original JRPG TURN BASED game.

Story
    But w.w.w.w.w. Wait a minute
    If you are thinking (like me) that
    Each character will meet and create many stories on the same main story ............
    Must say that Sorry
    Because the thing that depends on Octoparth traveler is .........
    It is a total of 8 separate stories.
    With only a very short conversation, which the characters interactive during the journey.
    And these 8 main stories are NOT connected at all.
    Good thing is, it's easy to dev.
    But its very bad disadvantage is that like you are playing 8 short JRPG games.
    ....................... boring
    So, the story of this game is not as I expected.

Game play

Turn based ADD-ON with weak point system
    And BT system a sytem similar power potential reward.
    Which both parts make the game easier !!!
    Or more difficult???
    Without the status edition system like the original JRPG
    The STATUS is change only from leveled up or
    Change secondary job, weapons, armor,
    And can use special items that can up some status that can be found in side quests.
    I had fun at first.
    But I think that this system is not good enough for carry on playing all long 8 stories.
    For me, I enjoyed the first 60% of the game.
    and then require effort to finish the game.
    ......................... so boring
    So, it is a good system. But for boring people like me.
    It might have Better story To be overlooked, use repetitive commands

Graphic and sound
    Although the game is made in the form of 2.5 D
    But with the power of Unreal engine 4
    The light and shadow of the game is displayed very beautiful and impressive.
    Although I would like to see more pictures of the main characters
    Well, at this point there should be an ANIME CUTSCENE to make the characters look more alive.
    Or an anime character display when talking can help.
    at least, you will get to see the character's emotion.
    As for the music, I think that the music is smooth and fits the atmosphere of the game.
    Considered to be better than the standard of JRPG in general nowadays

In summary, Octoparth traveler is a very good JRPG TURN BASED game. And if you are looking for this type of game
    Octoparth traveler is a good choice. I scored Octoparth traveler equal to Suki pot / 10 The Octoparth traveler storyline Will not reach what I expected But with a good concept and beautiful graphics Also made me have a good time some day. For the value, I think it is in a very good spot if the price is lower than 33 usd down. If you already have a lot of pickling games already Recommend to wait first Get it when reduced in price ^^ KNOT-SAMA
  8. Mar 7, 2020
    I really wanted to love this game, but a great JRPG needs to have better writing.

Pros: Extremely extensive gameplay (I've put in 75 hours, and probably have 25 hours left before beating every story line) The battle system is simple but morphs and evolves throughout the game, making it different with each boss. The quaint atmosphere allows the game play to be very casual, excellent

The quaint atmosphere allows the game play to be very casual, excellent for relaxing.

Cons: The characters/story lines do not interact with each other in any authentic way. (About 1/3 of the way into the game, they do start talking but it feels very forced/unnatural).
    The game is essentially 32 bosses interspersed with tiny dungeons that have no real riddles or problems to solve.
    The battle graphics could have been a bit more elaborate seeing as more than half of the game takes place within the battle system.
    The story lines are so simple and outdated. You can find these kinds of stories in kids' picture books. Nothing really intriguing.
  9. Aug 17, 2020
    I wanted to love it but it was just bad. Story was a mess, combat wasn't interesting and you couldn't take 2 steps between random encounters that take far too long to deal with. The graphics and sound weren't bad for what they aimed for but still could've been better, especially at full price.
  10. May 13, 2020
    Sadly this is just an overpriced generic JRPG. You can probably recreate this game yourself in RPG maker in a few days.
  11. Aug 24, 2021
    I avoided this game for a long while due to lukewarm reviews. I'm glad it came to Game Pass and I could finally try it. But for some games I have a (seemingly) euphoric revelation where I ask myself if I am still enjoying the game and can see myself playing for another however many hours. In this case the answer was no.
    The story is almost non-existent, instead there are 8 mini stories,
    The story is almost non-existent, instead there are 8 mini stories, and the characters barely acknowledge one another. The lack of xp for "idle" party members and the insistence on grinding would have been better left in the 90s. You can make a retro JRPG without adopting the terrible mechanics some of them used.

Date Dropped: 2021-08-24
    Playtime: 23h
    Enjoyment: 5/10
    Recommendation: Unless you absolutely swoon at the mention of 90s era JRPGs, no.
  12. Apr 4, 2022
    Los inicios me parecieron magníficos, los personajes tienen carisma (algunos) y otros son mas bien estereotipos tipicos. Los graficos al inicio son muy llamativos pero conforme avanza el juego te van sorprendiendo cada vez menos. La BSO es lo mejor, de lo mejorcito del genero. El sistema de combate esta bien, sobre todo para amantes del genero pero la subida de nivel me parece una tortura.Los inicios me parecieron magníficos, los personajes tienen carisma (algunos) y otros son mas bien estereotipos tipicos. Los graficos al inicio son muy llamativos pero conforme avanza el juego te van sorprendiendo cada vez menos. La BSO es lo mejor, de lo mejorcito del genero. El sistema de combate esta bien, sobre todo para amantes del genero pero la subida de nivel me parece una tortura. Hay que dedicarle demasiado tiempo a levear, se hace desesperante cada vez que coges un personaje nuevo tener que volverlo a subir. Eso hace que algunas zonas se vuelvan una pesadilla si no tienes todos los personajes equilibrados. El juego para mi es en general notable pero falla estrepitosamente en el tema del leveo, un desastre que lastra la experiencia de juego y puede hacer que te acabes aburriendo. El resto una joya artistica muy recomendable para amantes del JRPG. Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2021
    Unos pixeles hermosos, unos cuantos principales olvidables, y unas ciudades y locaciones bastante interesantes, son algunas de las cosas que componen este juego, aunque tambien lo conforman una subida de nivel con grindeo, ciudades vacias y misiones secundarias realmente repetitivas. Realmente no es que esperes mas de un juego de este estilo, pero la sensacion que te da el estar jugandoUnos pixeles hermosos, unos cuantos principales olvidables, y unas ciudades y locaciones bastante interesantes, son algunas de las cosas que componen este juego, aunque tambien lo conforman una subida de nivel con grindeo, ciudades vacias y misiones secundarias realmente repetitivas. Realmente no es que esperes mas de un juego de este estilo, pero la sensacion que te da el estar jugando despues de unas 30 horas de juego (30 horas en las que aun no termino la historia principal del personaje principal debido a que necesito subir de nivel) es de cansancio, nada te apega a seguir la historia de los demas companeros que no te interesan, es un juego realmente entretenido al inicio de partida con batallas deasafiantes, pero nada te detiene a desinstalarlo despues de saber lo que te ofrece este juego. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 18, 2019
    An otherwise delightful and nostalgic JRPG, Octopath Traveler's lack of an integrated story leaves the experience feeling empty in the end.
  2. Aug 27, 2019
    In the end, I love what Octopath Traveler is trying to do with its shieldbreaking and its eight-way narrative, but it’s probably better suited to the Switch than the PC. It feels like a title that needs to be played in short bursts, as is fitting for Nintendo’s portable platform. Perhaps I wouldn’t be as frustrated with its quirks if I walked away from time to time and did something else — I will go back and complete the quest, but for now, I just need a break.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    An excellent port of a great game, that still requires a controller to enjoy it to the fullest. It has 8 great stories, 8 interesting characters, a bunch of mechanics to use and most of all - a tone of hours to pour into it and finish it all.