6.4

1. Jun 11, 2019
    Great game I've played the game using Xbox one, PS4, and Xbox 360 and all work fine for me on PC. The game brings me back to the awesome JRPGs from the 90s with a modern look. You definitely should add this game to your steam collection
  2. Jun 13, 2019
    El mejor sistema de combate por turnos, con unas historias muy personales con las que empatizas y juegas deseando ver el desenlace. Artísticamente me parece maravilloso.
  3. Jun 9, 2019
    Octopath Traveler is a beautiful JRPG that feels and looks like the classics of old.
    But like most classic games, it is certainly not perfect and left something to be desired.
    I won't go too much into the story. Just know that you play as 8 different characters (4 in your Party at any time) and that they have their own story, that, very rarely and sadly very poorly, intermingles with

I won't go too much into the story.
    Just know that you play as 8 different characters (4 in your Party at any time) and that they have their own story, that, very rarely and sadly very poorly, intermingles with that of their teammates. In fact, the story is the most disappointing part about this game. It doesn't have the 'epicness' of Final Fantasy VI or the intrigue of something like Chrono Trigger. It feels... empty? Something is certainly left to be desired.
    The same sadly goes for the characters as well; most of them are more like caricatures, archetypes or stereotypes, rather than actually fleshed out characters.

The game-play on the other hand makes up for everything bad about the story and characters.
    It's your classical turn-based JRPG that we all know and love. Specific characters can use specific weapons or spells, thus making every party member valuable. Square Enix also carried over a modified version of a mechanic they used in their other game "Bravely Default", where, after you chose to 'default' (defend) your character would gain an action point and they could be used to move several times in one turn. In this modified state however, you gain a point every turn, and you can not only go several times per turn, but also power-up your spells and techniques to make them even more deadly.
    The enemy variety is also quite big, thus making combat less repetitive and actually fun, no matter at which point in the game you are.

The sound design is also amazing.
    Both Japanese and English voice acting is pretty good, but there are some exceptions in the English VA, which is why I would personally recommend playing with the Japanese VA.
    Sound effects and BGM are really good and crisp, especially the BGM.
    The OST in general just... perfect. Go listen to it when you get the chance!

Finally, the graphics.
    This game has an 16-Bit graphics style alongside some modern VFX, and it is an absolutely beautiful blend. Even on the Switch with 720p in docked mode, this game looks amazing! It is at 60 FPS, which makes it even better!
    16-Bit graphics have always and will always look good in my eyes, however that pushed the game over the edge are the VFX. Spells, Water/the Ocean, Dark Caves... They all look so much more impressive thanks to the amazing VFX.

Tl;Dr Octopath Traveler is a beautiful nod to JRPGs of the past, specifically SNES JRPGs, and it's really good at what it's trying to accomplish, even though it does have some hiccups in the story department. Overall, most certainly worth a purchase, if you don't own it on Switch already. If that's the case, wait for a price drop, since there is nothing new here except for improved graphics and framerate
  4. Jun 8, 2019
    Played 75 hours on switch and now looking forward to complete it on Pc. Awesome game.
  5. Jul 11, 2019
    Great game with a fantastic combat system. If you are into the JRPG genre then this is a must play for you!
  6. Jun 7, 2019
    Octopath Traveler is a good old jrpg. Thanks for the beta testing, bing bing wahoo!
  7. Jun 20, 2019
    I do not know why the bad reviews if this game gives you a classic rpg experience with pixel art graphics but do not feel old you really stop and appreciate the beautiful work that is behind you all this and the story something fundamental in the rpg is wonderful I love the approach that I could give but I already spend 40 hours of game
  8. Jun 15, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great pixel art and BGM, stories.
    I love 'n it as SaGa Frontier.
    I have not Nintendo Switch.
    I'm dissatisfied that this game's price, but FINAL FANTASY VI was $ 120 when I bought 30years ago.
  9. May 1, 2020
    Sehr schönes Game, wunderbarer Grafikstil und motivierendes Kampfsystem. Endlich mal wieder ein gutes jrpg von Square enix
  10. Aug 1, 2020
    An underrated game that needs more attention, the return of classic turn based jrpg is the best, the characters are amazing, their specific skills are great and useful in situations then you just relate to them one way or another. The soundtrack in this is one of the best, the art style is amazing! I might buy it on the switch for portable playing!
  11. Oct 23, 2020
    De lo mejor del 2018 que por suerte lo podemos jugar en PC desde el año pasado, lo jugue en su momento en la switch y ahora tiene una magnifica oferta del 50% en steam y pensar poderlo jugar a 4k...es demasiada la tentacion, compra obligatoria en la plataforma que sea para los amantes del genero.
  12. May 5, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good history, excellent graphics, astonishing music, and addictive gameplay

This game only flaw is being too short.

[Spoilers]

No, seriously, I find the lack of end game content a real issue on the game; four advanced classes that, because of his overpowered skills, they just obliterate all main history bosses, make them only useful and interesting on use to defeat Galdera. That's a waste of content. I would love to use the full potential of that classes for more than just one enemy.
  13. Jun 12, 2021
    It is a beauty, it seems that you are playing in a diorama the art is simply beautiful, each story makes you feel that you connect with each character and each ending is convincing and leaves a good taste in your mouth and invites you when you finish it to continue exploring its world, a must buy.
  14. Dec 21, 2021
    the game i've had the most fun with in the past few years, i think. beautiful environments and music, had fun with battles and strategizing for them

i recommend english monolingual people play with japanese voice acting and english text settings in general

visuals: 8/10
    audibles: 8/10
    interaction: 7/10
  15. Jan 29, 2022
    Good game, got that metal slug art style, very good story but can't really connect them to each other except when using the Travel Banter, also very grindy and expensive, but definitely a good game

Generally favorable reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 18, 2019
    An otherwise delightful and nostalgic JRPG, Octopath Traveler's lack of an integrated story leaves the experience feeling empty in the end.
  2. Aug 27, 2019
    In the end, I love what Octopath Traveler is trying to do with its shieldbreaking and its eight-way narrative, but it’s probably better suited to the Switch than the PC. It feels like a title that needs to be played in short bursts, as is fitting for Nintendo’s portable platform. Perhaps I wouldn’t be as frustrated with its quirks if I walked away from time to time and did something else — I will go back and complete the quest, but for now, I just need a break.
  3. Aug 2, 2019
    An excellent port of a great game, that still requires a controller to enjoy it to the fullest. It has 8 great stories, 8 interesting characters, a bunch of mechanics to use and most of all - a tone of hours to pour into it and finish it all.