- Publisher: Focus Home Interactive , LBC Games
- Release Date: Jul 27, 2020
- Also On: PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One
Othercide is a horror-themed turn-based strategy game where the lore and game mechanics are tightly intertwined to deliver a twisted, dark and challenging experience. Enter a brutal world under assault from terrifying creatures from another dimension, hold back the tide with limitedOthercide is a horror-themed turn-based strategy game where the lore and game mechanics are tightly intertwined to deliver a twisted, dark and challenging experience. Enter a brutal world under assault from terrifying creatures from another dimension, hold back the tide with limited resources and endure brutal conditions in visually stunning world.
Experience dynamic turn-based combat and a new way to anticipate enemy movements to perform a flawless tactical plan. Using the Initiative Sequence System and unique set of skills, you will be able to interrupt an enemy attack, plan a delayed action that will be triggered later on in the timeline and use reaction skill to respond to any threat.
Prepare to suffer and face close calls in our terrifying and ruthless universe. With roguelite features, deadly missions, limited resources and permanent death, there is no room for errors.
Level up, unlock new skills and collect memories from the death of your enemies. A limited number of these bonuses can be implemented to your skills to boost their stats. But choose wisely as once implemented, you can't take them back, unless... you decide to sacrifice your Daughter!
Make dramatic choices and endure with your Daughters traumatic experiences which will make them stronger or weaker.
Othercide invites you in a ethereal monochromatic dimension with only dashes of crimson red where your worst nightmares come to life.… Expand
- Developer: Lightbulb Crew
- Genre(s): Strategy, Turn-Based, Tactics
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Positive: 18 out of 25
Mixed: 7 out of 25
Negative: 0 out of 25
Aug 11, 2020Othercide is very enjoyable for both lovers of tactics and for those who don't know this genre and want to start playing it. With a campaign that offers many possibilities and immense amount of hours, all this added to its very compelling visual style, especially if you are a Lovecraft fan.
Jul 28, 2020Othercide may challenge you harshly, but it also adequately rewards your perseverance.
Jul 27, 2020Othercide is a fresh take on the turn-based genre that presents a unique approach to the genre full of challenging moments of strategic combat. With the influx of similar titles, Othercide manages to stand out through its dark and gorgeous themes paired with a memorable narrative. There are moments of the gameflow that can be improved on, but I have rarely been this eager to jump back into a game suffering a loss.
Jul 29, 2020Othercide is a modern gothic take on turn-based tactics. It's stylish, difficult and a solid addition to the genre.
Aug 27, 2020I was drawn to Othercide not only because I’m a fan of turn-based tactical combat and compelling aesthetics, but because of its mysterious premise. That said, the repetitive gameplay and lack of variety made me eventually lose interest. The themes of death, struggle, and rebirth are interesting, but they weren’t enough to override the repetition and and unconventional design choices.
Jul 30, 2020Othercide is an interesting twist on the tactical RPG genre with a striking artstyle, adding in roguelike elements to questionable effect. Not everything comes together well mechanically, it's a little bit repetitive, and I think the narrative elements could have benefitted from just a tad more outward direction. It's certainly a unique game, which may be worth checking it out if you like trying new and different styles even if the execution is spotty in places.
Jul 27, 2020A combat system that’s deeper than it first appears is the real star here, but you’ll likely also stick around for the perverse and disturbing universe and the story that plays out within it. The voiceover work will quickly annoy you and the difficulty is unfair, but there is still a bit to enjoy here, assuming you can ignore some of Othercide’s shortcomings. I wanted to like Othercide much more than I did.
Positive: 3 out of 11
Mixed: 5 out of 11
Negative: 3 out of 11
Aug 1, 2020Probably my favorite tactical Rpg game, it is the perfect mix between Darkest dungeon and Xcom 2. Also let's not forget the sublime visual,Probably my favorite tactical Rpg game, it is the perfect mix between Darkest dungeon and Xcom 2. Also let's not forget the sublime visual, this game is a treat for the eyes.… Expand
Jul 29, 2020I realy enjoy the game. It feel like a mix of Darkest Dungeon and XCom and is realy unique.
A few little issue wite the controlls...
Nov 29, 2022Unique style and unmatched atmosphere.
One of the rare games that sucks you in the more you play. The story can be convoluted (butUnique style and unmatched atmosphere.
One of the rare games that sucks you in the more you play.
The story can be convoluted (but interesting) and gameplay can be repetitive in places but the sense of progression and becoming more powerful is unmatched by similar Tactics games.
Highly recommended for everyone who loves Turn Based Tactic games.… Expand
Dec 31, 2020An artsy TBS which is just too unapproachable and in the end lacks meat.
Good: - the art is great. I must say, its limited color schemeAn artsy TBS which is just too unapproachable and in the end lacks meat.
- the art is great. I must say, its limited color scheme (only red and shades of gray) felt somewhat low-budget at first, but the stylish animations, semi-erotic models and overall feel quickly convince you that it's just "Art" with a capital A. Obviously, development of this game was done with an artists as lead
- instead of turns it uses initiative of units. It's not very unique (Disciples 1 and 2 used this, and also newer games like Conquistadors and Vikings) however here you can push enemies backwards in the timeline with some abilities, delaying their turn. Also, attacks can have a delay until they are actually performed and can be interrupted. This all provides an interesting core system to play with
- it uses permadeath, but after each failed run you get slight boosts. While this looks good in theory, it essentially means you'd replay stuff over and over until the game becomes simple enough because of the accumulated booosts (and you've learnt it enough) to beat it. I guess it's still a better system than just normal permadeath. Though I'd probably prefer the usual save/load system and an optional iron man mode which experienced players could try as a challenge
- the game starts as a cryptic mess and would turn off many players instantly - so I'd guess they have lots of refunds. The tutorial is way too hasty, not giving you any time to understand what's happening. In a similar way, the story is incomprehensible. Not only everything has weird names (and you essentially have to create a renaming map in your head) but also it's all presented in a convoluted manner. There is some "Mother", then some "Veil", it's 1897, then 1929, then there are some plague doctors, many words are capitalized (like they have some special meaning) etc. It's like trying to get any sense from ramblings of a guy in a nuthouse. It's not fun, and the only thing you know for sure is that their writer probably has very high opinion of themselves and wasn't fired because they are one of the owners of the project or a relative/wife/lover of the owner etc.
- important hints are lacking from the GUI, e.g. you can't see the range of your pistols, or enemies' ranges.
- with just 3 characters that the player controls and a not-too-large selection of enemies, the game gets repetitive fairly quickly. It would just need more meat to have a greater long-term appeal.
Overall, I have an impression that there was some pretentious team or maybe even a single person who is an artist and maybe an amateur writer. The dev team probably followed their lead up the point where the game was almost completed. Then they tried to do some playtesting, saw that players don't understand the game but then had to just release it as-is because it would be too costly to change anything, and the players are stupid anyways, so for this great game there will be some small audience of players who are smart enough and can appreciate real art.
I'd say this game is an unfinished product with some good art sadly wasted, or only usable as a bait to get sales (followed by a high % of refunds). If some proper game designer could take lead here and improve the controls based on player feedback/playtesting + give the story some sense, it could become a proper, playable game.
Still, 6/10 out of respect to the artist + the interesting core timeline mechanic.
PS. Btw I know some guy who is about 40 now, and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. I knew him since he was 17. He was an amateur writer, and used a lot of capitalized words in his stores. I don't know if that's relevant to this game, but just feels very familiar.… Expand
Sep 16, 2020This game drew me in with its beautiful art and drips of story, used me with its repetitive gameplay, then asked me to do it all over again. IThis game drew me in with its beautiful art and drips of story, used me with its repetitive gameplay, then asked me to do it all over again. I was excited to start but after 14 hours nothing has changed. I've lost interest. You shall join the elite ranks of my unfinished games.
Date Dropped: 2020-09-15
Recommendation: No. There's almost no story, just a whole lot of repetition.… Expand
Nov 7, 2022Cool art style and design. Bosses ost is awesome af. But that's all this game can give u. Pretty bad plot. Repetiteve boring gameplay. GotCool art style and design. Bosses ost is awesome af. But that's all this game can give u. Pretty bad plot. Repetiteve boring gameplay. Got bored after two days or so. So yeah. In general u can skip this game.… Expand
Sep 8, 2020Очень очень очень недоделана. все в зачаточном состоянии. это близко не X COM/Это близко не тактика. это недоделанный RAID в "типануаре".Очень очень очень недоделана. все в зачаточном состоянии. это близко не X COM/Это близко не тактика. это недоделанный RAID в "типануаре". Сюжета нет от слова СОВСЕМ. Даже как бесплатную не порекомендую.… Expand