6.5

1. May 1, 2017
    In real life, if a polio crazy person attack you. Will you be scare or hurt? unable to defend yourself?
    Apparently this game main character is either grow up with only water diet, or he's mental ill and has no self-preservation mechanism and can be kill by polio person.

It's like the team who did Outlast 1 resign and left the studio with 100% fresh meat who never watch/play/read horror media. Gore is not horror, poo and pee is not horror, and being kill by countryside religion person who are thin they can be blow by wind and gone like sheet of paper is not horror.

In 1st Outlast, it's logical that the player cannot defend themselves from those 'superhuman from medical experiment psychopath'. Cause they are 'strong and create that way'. But here, it's stupid religion person who are 'strong' because they believe their faith make them strong (no, you can fly no matter how hard you believe you can fly).

Remember how Outlast 1 fist 10 min is? It start with the main character driving into this "quarantine" hospital. This set the premise that whatever lurk inside that area, it's "officially acknowledge" to be so dangerous that the authority decide to keep people out of it while they're working on solution. Then when the player sneak in, he was greeted by "leftover" such as corpse of full growth person killed in brutal way / environment destruction that look like a work of natural disaster and such to stimulate player to believe that whatever could had done these thing must be very strong. And finally when the real culprit show up, the first action he did was "showing of strength" by throwing a full grown (player) man flying through wooden frame window (something a person with sledgehammer found difficult to destroy like in this scene). In Outlast 1 the game clearly show and convince player that he's the weak here using this clever scene.

Then what did Outlast 2 do? None of the above.
    The game start by showing many people watching the player, and do nothing.
    All gore player found is done on the weak (baby/child) who can't protect themselves.
    Even the first cinematic death didn't work. Why? Because the process is so slow and ineffective. Slow death didn't always result in horror, it can result in "showing of weakness of the performer". In Outlast 1, the cinematic killing scene is slow, because the culprit wanted it to be slowed so he can enjoy it. While in Outlast 2, it's slow because the culprit seem to be too weak to do it swiftly (remind that the culprit outright try to kill the deadman, and the deadman almost didn't resist, yet it took so long).

Everything in Outlast 2 look so weak and fragile that any 'normal' human being can just club-stomp his/her way pass those stupid/muscle weak people back to safely with only a few bruise. The locked wood door is so rotten that a accident kick would crumble the whole door frame.
    The unbelievable-ness of these thing take all the immersive from the game. It's like watching ant horror movie where said ant is hunted by group of crazy ant, you can't related to them and can possibly only laugh.

The only redeem value is the graphic technology. The water physic is impressive. Unfortunately, everything is so dark that all of those beautiful thing can never by seem most of the time. (and the camera night vision make everything blur in black and black/green)
  2. Apr 30, 2017
    Simply put, this is a worse Outlast than the first one. It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. A 6 hours gameplay of running, hiding, healing yourself with bandages and "reloading" the camera with batteries. Add an hour for reading notes if you care. On top of that, it ends itself with a more confusing and a stupid ending too. Perfect. Besides, for me personally, I wanted to see theSimply put, this is a worse Outlast than the first one. It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. A 6 hours gameplay of running, hiding, healing yourself with bandages and "reloading" the camera with batteries. Add an hour for reading notes if you care. On top of that, it ends itself with a more confusing and a stupid ending too. Perfect. Besides, for me personally, I wanted to see the developers bring more into Outlast than just a new, un-inspiring, confusing and bland story. The game still does not have combat, no way to dodge or block attacks. You have to run and hide. Most of the time you die or get hit randomly. No weapons of any sort either. The game contains a good setting and an atmosphere for a horror game, but it lacks variety in that aspect as well. Disappointed to say the least. If you are looking for a better Outlast, you’ve got the first one and its DLC. If you are looking for a pretty good survival horror game, you have Resident Evil 7. Thanks for reading! Expand
  3. Apr 25, 2017
    Look, I am not even joking here. If you want a chase, hide and seek simulator, then Outlast 2 is PERFECT for you. It simply is that. Outlast 2 fans are calling it a chase simulator on Reddit. Aside from the fact that the game presents one of the most forgettable, boring and pathetic stories of all time, it even tells it confusingly enough to end it with a stupid, "question marks spam"Look, I am not even joking here. If you want a chase, hide and seek simulator, then Outlast 2 is PERFECT for you. It simply is that. Outlast 2 fans are calling it a chase simulator on Reddit. Aside from the fact that the game presents one of the most forgettable, boring and pathetic stories of all time, it even tells it confusingly enough to end it with a stupid, "question marks spam" worthy kind of ending. The story is just... A BIG MEH from beginning to end. The voice acting, the cast... another BIG MEH. The gameplay, 6 hours of running. LITERALLY RUNNING and a bit of hiding. Seriously, if you buy this game thinking it would be as good as the first or thinking it’s a survival horror game as good as Resident Evil 7, then you will be so disappointed. You want a generic walking simulator with some cheap jump scares, this might just be the thing for ya. Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2017
    Absolutely atrocious. Huge step backward for the franchise. Only masochists will enjoy this slog through hillbilly country. Love games of this nature, but after getting stabbed with a pick-axe 20 times in the same section, the uninstall button in all its glorious brilliance was the only recompense to this harrowing experience.
  5. Apr 25, 2017
    Atmosphere , graphics sound effects gameplay is the best !!!Atmosphere , graphics sound effects gameplay is the best !!! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Expand
  6. Apr 25, 2017
    А мне игра понравилась,очень сильно захватывает,графика на высоте,и другие персонажи сделаны очень хорошо.Из минусов - (их нет),а плюсы можно пересчитывать бесконечно.
  7. Apr 25, 2017
  8. May 2, 2017
    First off let me just say that this games looks and sounds amazing but in terms of gameplay and story it is incredibly disappointing. The "Gameplay" consist of nothing more than running away from underdevolved and unscary enemies and struggling to figure out where to go in poorly mapped environments which feels very painful and frustrating especially in later levels. The story is poorlyFirst off let me just say that this games looks and sounds amazing but in terms of gameplay and story it is incredibly disappointing. The "Gameplay" consist of nothing more than running away from underdevolved and unscary enemies and struggling to figure out where to go in poorly mapped environments which feels very painful and frustrating especially in later levels. The story is poorly explained and has a terrible ending that answerers no questions and makes it so we will have to wait for some stupid expansion pack to come out and explain what really happened. Expand
  9. Apr 29, 2017
    Running simulator 2017? ............. So what happened with Red Barrels ? I don't really understand how this became what it is considering how great the first game was. I'm really confused. This game is repetitive, boring, and not scary at all.. but sure it looks pretty! Thats a nice **** lamp!
  10. May 3, 2017
    6h of running, character get's stuck on the environment , no alternate routes to escape/dodge enemies, AI is even worse than the 1st, too linear, horrible ending, visuais are ok and some sequences are good, but that's all
  11. Apr 30, 2017
    I am so sorry Red Barrels I wanted to love this game but it looks like its just another crappy sequel to the horror genre Outlast 1 was amazing it was intense it was atmospheric and looked and sounded nice too but how the hell did you mess this up Outlast II had a lot going for it great graphics great sounds great atmosphere but the levels are not built for the perfect outlast experienceI am so sorry Red Barrels I wanted to love this game but it looks like its just another crappy sequel to the horror genre Outlast 1 was amazing it was intense it was atmospheric and looked and sounded nice too but how the hell did you mess this up Outlast II had a lot going for it great graphics great sounds great atmosphere but the levels are not built for the perfect outlast experience the story is just one massive **** and the ending was the most confusing crap that I have ever seen in a video game it was just like when i finished daylight it was disappointing and it just left you there and the devs are going hey buy our DLC so you can find out what happened you pieces of **** so you know what if Outlast III ever happens please for the love of God DO NOT **** IT UP Expand
  12. May 3, 2017
    It's not a bad game, but I've been very disappointed by the fact that they changed the game from a mix of esplorative-ish/puzzle-ish/stealth-ish to a hardcore stealth; you will spend all the time either hiding or running away.

Some people will surely like it, but it's a polarizing approach to game design (especially, when compared to the first installment). The atmosphere/graphics

The atmosphere/graphics are great, for sure, and I have nothing against stealth game - therefore, the 6.
  13. May 3, 2017
    at the time of outlast 1 , it was the scariest and most unexpected horror story i ever experienced and so i have expected outlast 2 to top that , overall the game was really hard to play due to the intense ear ache it caused me with the extreme volume raise with each jump-scare , and mind you - this game is based on jump scares (so did outlast 1) , so i played with little to no volume ,at the time of outlast 1 , it was the scariest and most unexpected horror story i ever experienced and so i have expected outlast 2 to top that , overall the game was really hard to play due to the intense ear ache it caused me with the extreme volume raise with each jump-scare , and mind you - this game is based on jump scares (so did outlast 1) , so i played with little to no volume , environment wise it was the most gorey and most detailed blood spilled scenery i ever witnessed in a video game , the puzzles were annoying , but not as annoying as Resident Evil 7 , compared to that they were fairly easy , i am with mixed feelings about the plot and the unclear ending really left a bad taste for me , and while it is a game : i think that a camera man that's going to the wilderness should be stacked with portable chargers... it was a real menace to be economical and to search for batteries every second. Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2017
    It’s confusing, boring and repetitive. 6 hours of running, hiding , healing yourself , watching corpses.
    The atmosphere is good but so so soooooooooooooo boring, u actually dont know what to do , the game itself dont give u clues to follow, and sometimes in the game u dont know what to do.

I PREFER THE 1st ONE
  15. May 13, 2017
    Let's be objective. Outlast 2 I waited. waited and hoped that the developers can give the genre new life, to do something new. I've been trying to find in Outlast 2 something good, but I don't understand these positive reviews on Steam. The game did for 4 years. What were they doing all this time? Probably the village was painted. Better graphics than the first part, but you almost all theLet's be objective. Outlast 2 I waited. waited and hoped that the developers can give the genre new life, to do something new. I've been trying to find in Outlast 2 something good, but I don't understand these positive reviews on Steam. The game did for 4 years. What were they doing all this time? Probably the village was painted. Better graphics than the first part, but you almost all the time awake in the dark or awake to look through a night vision camera. Darkness does not scare, but rather annoying. Besides the batteries over quickly enough.

The game is not frightening. The atmosphere is, but it's not scary. The constant hiding from enemies, the obligatory dull chase. The developers want to go for brutality,but the brutality is not terrible, and certainly can not surprise me, for example, a person who often plays horror and watching them in the cinema. Show you the blood of dismemberment and you'll be blissed out. What kind of primitive? For its genre the game is very big! I drowned hide and seek and chase, tired of the enemies, killing the first time. The game has no charismatic villains! In the same DLS was a cannibal and bridegroom. Yes, even Chris from the original was colorful. Can praise some notes - sometimes they're awful. But the plot Suchy and dull, with terrible konsovskiy. I thought the developers would at least cover the topic of cults. But if you are expecting a strong plot - it's not here. The game is hide-and-seek and running. All. Boring, monotonous and not interesting.

The developers were from inventory, which is good. Now we can see how much is left of battery and bandages (now you need to treat). But it was in Аlone in the dark 2008, but it's still a good year. We are the journalist and we are now using the camera recorded eerie scenes that can be peresmatrivat with the comments of the protagonist.

Outlast 2 is a boring repeat of the same. I wouldn't want to compare this game and Resident Evil7, but RE7 I was happy (and let the end of the game rolls). I was waiting for Outlast 2, hoping that they will bring something new to the genre, but no. The best in the series remains DLC Whistleblower. Yes, Outlast 2 is cheap, but it is better to spend the money for Little nightmares - it really is incredible, atmospheric and scary at times. Outlast 2 game for streamers. So people looked at their screams, and then bought the game. The game is not frightening, you rather fall asleep, yet awake to play it.
  16. Apr 30, 2017
    We say that this is one of the most anticipated horror games of this year, clearly the game made a name for itself with the first one. Outlast 2 takes the successful formula of the first game, shakes it up a bit to create a more immersive and frightening horror experience. Some how this game felt more difficult to complete(i played on normal difficulty and died like 100 times), howeverWe say that this is one of the most anticipated horror games of this year, clearly the game made a name for itself with the first one. Outlast 2 takes the successful formula of the first game, shakes it up a bit to create a more immersive and frightening horror experience. Some how this game felt more difficult to complete(i played on normal difficulty and died like 100 times), however that's not bad point. The huge drawback for this game is vague story. Now that I have finished a game, and watched a story explanation I still don't understand a lot of things. I feel like that there is not strict line between the hallucinations and reality, which created a very confusing story. Also the game can become repetitive after hours into gameplay. Outlast 2 is an excellent game, with good gameplay, and tons of scares, however with a better story it would have achieved more. I still prefer the first game and i still hope that they release DLC which would clear up the messy plot. Expand
  17. Jun 4, 2017
    It's not that bad of a game. The beginning when you didn't really what was going was pretty scary and the school bits were terrifying! But, the frustrating moments in the town cut the scale factor and it became more of a convoluted mess toward the end. It turned into more of a laughing stock then a horror game.
  18. May 12, 2018
    The game is amazing and I strongly disagree with most of the reviewers and critics. First of all, some of the people said that the game is a little bit dark. Well, how is it supposed to be? Have you ever been in forest at night? Well, guess what? You can't see anything and you're not supposed to. It gets me mad that so many people got used to the games where night isn't a challenge like itThe game is amazing and I strongly disagree with most of the reviewers and critics. First of all, some of the people said that the game is a little bit dark. Well, how is it supposed to be? Have you ever been in forest at night? Well, guess what? You can't see anything and you're not supposed to. It gets me mad that so many people got used to the games where night isn't a challenge like it is in real life. In many games night isn't exactly night because you can see everything. That's my opinion. Secondly, I want to discuss the story. Some people said that it was rather regular and full of cliche. The parts where you appear in the school have deeper meaning and most of you didn't understand that. It's so sad to see that you start to criticize the game without even getting deeper into the story. The story is actually so complex, that no one can actually understand what the hell happened in this town. There are even many versions about that, but you say that story is simple. Ok, so many people, so many thoughts. I can agree on the point that the characters aren't fully developed as they should be. But it's a horror game. I don't think it's so important here. To conclude, I think this game is outstanding by its new concept (religious fanatics), it has some mystery in it, it's really not cliche because all the screamers are random and are not expected and it has a dark, creepy atmosphere. Best of genre in past few years. Better than the previous part. Expand
  19. Oct 29, 2018
    Outlast 2 doesn't manage to scare me like the first game did, the gameplay remains exactly the same while carrying the same flaws the first game had and more. This game essentially comes down to running from point A to point B for 8 or so hours. Its a mixed bag of a game, i really don't know if this is a good game or not.
  20. Apr 20, 2018
    Honestly after a few hours I had to get a refund while I could. And honestly what I got to complain about is what everyone else did who disliked the game too.

Honestly I think there was too much hype and still is given the excessive positive reviews. This doesn't feel like an Outlast game. It IS a good game. But DOESN'T feel like an Outlast game and is downright f'ing annoying to play.

I beat the original Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC on Insane mode (where there's no saves and if you die any point in the game you automatically restart to the very beginning). I tell y' what that was at times frustrating but this game is nothing but annoying compared. It loses it's scare factor quick and as many others pointed out it's nothing but a trial and error game. This feels more like the failing Resident Evil franchise.

The NPCs are kinda lowkey stupid. The first game they weren't that smart either but it was a lot more terrifying to be chased and being hunted for. This game I'm not on edge at all and just play casually rather "..." like any normal game. The fun factor vanishes, and the purpose of it being a horror game in general. The trial and error ruins the experience the most.

Graphics were beautiful; however. And do love the reviewing of recordings. Also think the healing factor was a neat idea however kinda unused.

Y'know I yapped enough with my refund and will just stop here though.
  21. Apr 30, 2017
    In essence this is just a pretty walking simulator, with mostly linear pathing, single object puzzles, and incoherency to cover up the desire to make a silent hill game, while trying to not cross that copyright line. The storyline over-reaches in complexity to appear more intelligent than it is, and when coupled with excessively repetitive gameplay, just to end with a cliffhanger, leavesIn essence this is just a pretty walking simulator, with mostly linear pathing, single object puzzles, and incoherency to cover up the desire to make a silent hill game, while trying to not cross that copyright line. The storyline over-reaches in complexity to appear more intelligent than it is, and when coupled with excessively repetitive gameplay, just to end with a cliffhanger, leaves little to be desired. I guess the actual answers will come in paid DLC, which is unforgivable.

The battery mechanic to drive exploration is silly when "dying" just give you a free one. Similarly, the overabundance of bandages makes the damage system pointless. But the worst part are all the skippable notes with no game need to read them. There is only one worth mentioning that suggests this is an extension of the microwave project from the original game. Since it is one that you are guaranteed to find it is frustrating if you miss it. Not that the science fantasy explanation (microwaves do not work like that) is a high point, but is the only answer you will get in this game.

The worst part is all the weapons that are laying around (a gun in a dead man's hand in the first 10 minutes), flashlights that operate off of Sony handicam batteries that you also cannot pickup or use (far more efficient than night vision or mic), or batteries that travel between the "real" world and the silent hill version (Blake's mind). These aspects just destroy immersion, and help wear you down to reach the "I do not care" phase where you are just pushing through this to finish as quickly as possible. At one point you even have your camera taken away, jump to the alternate world, and when you return it is mysteriously back in your hand. Not to mention the thousands of dead/dying and hundreds of crazies that no one else in the state notices. Considering they kill all outsiders on sight, that is quite the feat of BS writing.
  22. Apr 29, 2017
    outlast 2 is the most false reviewed game i ever saw since black ops 3 zombies this game is really disappointing and let me explain why:

firstly the game is not that scary at most creepy but not scary. unlike outlast 1 and the dlc whistle blower that scare your **** the first 20 min you start playing them , this game keeps the creepy atmosphere for like 3 4 hours, im not joking this game doesnt scare you at all unlike the first one that slaps you with jump scares and makes you hide and wish to god that they wont find you , that is what made that game so good but this game is just bad it looks good yes but its really bad at being a horror game. the story is very bad and Cliché and the ending is just a fk you to the face no explanation no nothing ,this game just wants you to buy the dlc for answers.

pros:
    - game is so beautiful the graphics are just wow
    - atmosphere is creepy as hell
    - the school parts omg the school parts they are the most scariest moments of the game and made me almost cry
    - sound is perfect music is spot on i really liked it

cons ( there are a lot)
    -after 2 to 3 hours of gameplay not a single scare or anything you just go and explore
    -this game is a cat and mouse simulator literally the whole gameplay of the game is you running away not jocking the whole game is about running away since hiding is so bad becuase the enemies find you instantly
    -most of the good parts are at the school illussions but when you come back to the redneck area from a horror game the game becomes a sports game because the only thing that you are doing is running away
    -the ending is sht and doesnt explain anything about everything that happened
    -that one enemie that is chasing you through the whole game is sht because she is not that scary just annoying
    - blayke the guy that you play as is weird af he can barely jump on simple rocks but he can parkur he can kick someone but cant pick up a weapon and wreck people with it

this game had a lot of potential but it lost it its not scary ( except for the school part) and you just die a lot in this game for not picking the right road and run away most of the time thats it

my final score to this game is 5.5/10 its not worth 30 dollars at all you can easly skip this game and buy resident evil 7 its a better horror game believe me
  23. Jul 28, 2017
    I have been a massive fan of the first person horror genre that has emerged in recent years. Amnesia was tense and terrifying, Soma was dark and alien, and Outlast was this perfect balance of both. While I admit that I hated the ending of Outlast, I thought the game itself was fantastic, so when they announced the sequel I was psyched. When they said it was the same universe but aI have been a massive fan of the first person horror genre that has emerged in recent years. Amnesia was tense and terrifying, Soma was dark and alien, and Outlast was this perfect balance of both. While I admit that I hated the ending of Outlast, I thought the game itself was fantastic, so when they announced the sequel I was psyched. When they said it was the same universe but a completely different story I was more psyched. There was no where to really take that ending, and it wasn't very good to begin with, relying on cop out tropes rather than immersive storytelling, so continuing it wouldn't have made for a decent story at all. So when outlast two came out and it went on sale, my wife bought it for me as a gift.

The first hour or so is fantastic. Lost in an almost alien mountain town, where nothing makes much sense, alone, frightened, and looking for someone. Awesome, I can dig it. Sneaking around guards that have patterns they use yo move around obstacles and hiding spots, sweet. Hiding in corn rows to avoid being spotted, neat idea, I like it. So far it sounds awesome, and for a bit it is.

Then the chases start...and the blackness...and the dead ends....

There is so much bloody running in this game, running from threats you cannot take the time to look at or they run you through, or you have to do some asinine QTE to fend them off (but you don't always get that option). Sometimes they just kill you. This would be fine if, like the very rare chasing sequences in Outlast 1, these areas were well lit, allowing you to both take in the atmosphere in a smaller amount of time, and quickly assess where you are supposed to go.

Apparently, that made too much sense to the designers, so instead you are running through mostly black areas, requiring you to use your night vision camera, which blurs things at a distance, forcing an almost battletoads-esque level of reaction as you barrel into where you think you are supposed to go. This reliance on darkness will also force you to be in night vision for most of your playthrough, causing you to burn through batteries like tissue paper, and searching for more often takes two batteries to find one, assuming you can even find one. There is no appreciating the scenery, no time to look at who or what is chasing you, no time to even feel genuinely scared, it's just startling for a second and then your immersion is destroyed.

The darkness would be bad enough on its own, but this game has some of the worst conveyance I have ever seen. No way to know where to go, where anything is, or even which doors and hallways will be open or dead ends, and during a chase, a single dead end will kill you, even on the lowest difficulty setting. I do not mind getting killed during a chase sequence, but only if it's my fault. I shouldn't be expected to case every single inch of every single screen, taking hours to memorize everything, on the off chance that I am going to get run through the area. Besides, that would only help slightly, as many chases take you right into places that were locked when you first came through, so there was nothing you could possibly have done to know where to go ahead of time, and the game certainly isn't going to tell you.

All things being said, here's a quick summary.:
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere is excellent and plot is interesting, if cliche'. Heck even dragon age origins had a religious mountain town. It's been done.
    -The voice acting works well enough for the story they are trying to tell

Cons:
    -Over reliance on night vision, causing game to be blurry and green for most of the time
    -Spending most of your time running from enemies you didn't even see or know were there. Being chased isn't scary or tense, especially if you don't have any idea where you are running too, it's just frustrating
    -Horrible conveyance leads to many dead ends and lost tracks, resulting in death during chases
    -Batteries are burnt through too quickly, causing players who are trying to conserve them to literally play blind
    -Quick time events during "combat". Nobody likes those, they are cancer, they destroy immersion, never use them

Conclusion: I cannot in good conscience recommend this game. It removed most of the elements of fear and replaced them with more action oriented elements, and the bad conveyance and reliance on night vision strongly suggest to me that they either heavily guided their playtesters, or did not have anyone who had never seen the project playtest the game from start to finish, because these glaring issues should have been caught well before launch, as now it's too late and the game suffers horribly for it.

Do not buy this game, watch a let's play of it with someone using a walkthrough.
  24. May 14, 2017
    Not the best horror game out there, and maybe it doesn't match up to the first one either, but it's still well made. It does the horror things well with an okay (yet confusing) story, but sometimes makes things boring and predictable - mixed with confusing and frustrating level design. Overall, great, but not excellent.
  25. Apr 26, 2017
    I'm a big fan of the first Outlast and I played Whistleblower which I enjoyed very much. I started this game with huge expectations that were soon crashed by the same developer that made the game and I say this because the game has an insistent obsession with making me sick of it and wanting to turn it off.
    There is no redeeming value, the new gameplay functionality is completely
    There is no redeeming value, the new gameplay functionality is completely useless. Inventory is useless, the mic is useless, hide is 50% useless now, blocking doors with locks only last for 2 more seconds, 1-hit kill on almost all the enemies. You die 3 times more than the first Outlast and you have to endure a 5 second death so instead of being scared you end up being frustrated and just plain mad.
    The character is an imbecil that can't even run, it gets tired way faster than the first game making you feel completely hopeless for no reason... I ended up wanting to die half the time, the loading screen is your new best friend and the spectacular scenery can hardly be contemplated since you're 95% of the time running. They may aswell put a simple black room and said RUN and the game would be the same.. there are no places to hide or alternative routes it's almost an "on rails" experience... excesive effects, excessive dark levels (too dark) so half the time the spectacular view is ruined by having to use the flashlight.

On top of that, flashlight only last for like 10 seconds, it seems that between Outlast & Outlast 2 the cameras only got worse on durability.. and the character contrary to the first Outlast is SURROUNDED BY FREAKING WEAPONS which takes NONE. Pardon me but a big bad boss I can understand but being killed by an almost rooten corpse that can barely walk and has only ONE HAND and half a foot is A JOKE.

This all feels like the developer really think that putting the player into the worse abuse possible will make for a fun game but it ends up being frustrating as hell.

Suffice to say I left the game on the last chapter and deleted it. This is garbage and I'm so sorry for the wonderful developers that made the scenery because that's the only saving point, the gameplay is as rudimentary as hell, in fact i've never seen such an unpolished gameplay in quite some time.

This game is not recommended, AT ALL, for only 6 hours of constant suffering and frustration the developers should pay US to play this not the other way around...

What's the point in playing a game that has no redeeming values and WANTS you to suffer and be frustrated for no reason?
  26. May 21, 2017
    This game is really good except for a few problems holding it back (mostly trial and error gameplay). The story is good however to understand it you have to really dig into the story. It made me jump several times. Overall it is a good sequel to the first Outlast.
  27. Aug 20, 2017
    not a patch on the first offering. This is plodding and predictiable, whether thats because you are expecting similar things to the original i am not sure. I just found wandering around the desert canyons where all the sick people were to just walk a few yards get attacked walked another few yards get attacked just incredibly boring. No wonder this hasnt done that well
  28. Oct 15, 2017
    As a game it is very good, but it abuses too much in some situations of trial and error and an sometimes very unfair AI. Good game is clear, but those flaws tarnish the experience a little.
  29. Apr 27, 2017
    Nah, man, nah. First outlast was a really great game - solid 8/10.
    But with Outlast 2 something went out of their hands.
    + Awesome grpahics + Variety of levels like woods, mines, town, country side etc. + interesting story + great ost + interesting bosses design + section with raft was awesome These are strong sides. Now for the weak ones.. - trial and error chasing sequences are
    Nah, man, nah. First outlast was a really great game - solid 8/10.
    But with Outlast 2 something went out of their hands.
    + Awesome grpahics
    + Variety of levels like woods, mines, town, country side etc.
    + interesting story
    + great ost
    + interesting bosses design
    + section with raft was awesome
    These are strong sides. Now for the weak ones..
    - trial and error chasing sequences are dumb (they've made it so twitchers could scream more on streams)
    - sometimes you don't know where to go (that windmill stage was awful, or I spent like 20 minutes searching for the way out of that "Stone cage" while midget with crossbow was on my ass)
    - awful ending that doesn't explain anything
    Don't get me wrong - it's a good game worth buying with a fair price, but has some issues unlike previous game.
    Anyway, I just hope guys will make some additional content - Whistlblower was awesome after all.
  30. Apr 26, 2017
    Pros
    +graphics
    +gore +violence CONS+everything else! this is probably the worst ending to a video game in history and that's AFTER researching all the theories and collectables in game. the game itself is MUCH worse than the first one, due to terrible AI who know where you are at all times, story not making any sense at all unless you find every single collectible and read 40 pages of
    Pros
    +graphics
    +gore
    +violence
    CONS+everything else! this is probably the worst ending to a video game in history and that's AFTER researching all the theories and collectables in game. the game itself is MUCH worse than the first one, due to terrible AI who know where you are at all times, story not making any sense at all unless you find every single collectible and read 40 pages of text(and still made no sense). on the pc version i ran into so many bugs where i could not progress and had to restart do to the context events not working or not popping up AT ALL. the horror to the game was good but was too far apart to really care about it. the game looks very open but is actually linear as hell, with 1000 paths and places you can hide but only 1 WORKS? the rest the AI know exactly where you are or block your path so u have to restart the whole sequence over. the game literally gets you killed over and over till you find the 1 MOST OBSCURE path that should not work and does not work at any other part in the game but for some reason works in this little section....THIS IS LAZY GAME DESIGN the devs put this in here to make the game seem longer than it actually is. you will spend about 6 hours playing the game and 3 of it will be repeating the same chase sequence over and over till either the ai bugs and looses aggro(only way i passed the chick with the pickax) or u find some obscure path. i only give the game a 3 because the violence and gore along with the graphics and atmosphere was amazing and the graphic design team deserves all the praise in the world. but the story and game mechanics RUIN the whole experience.
  31. Apr 28, 2017
    What game did you **** **** play? This monstrosity is no better than the first one (Which I finished in just over three hours). I still can't for the life of me understand how a game like ME:A (which was panned primarily for its **** animations) gets shot down to **** yet this game is getting 10s. **** off.
  32. Apr 25, 2017
    I love getting scared. I relish these experiences.Several times, I had to stop playing completely, at one point forcing myself to take a nap in order to calm down. But, I have to be honest... there was so much initial promise, with a great premise and some truly stunning visuals, but the onslaught of everything we’ve seen a hundred times before in horror games with much smaller budgetsI love getting scared. I relish these experiences.Several times, I had to stop playing completely, at one point forcing myself to take a nap in order to calm down. But, I have to be honest... there was so much initial promise, with a great premise and some truly stunning visuals, but the onslaught of everything we’ve seen a hundred times before in horror games with much smaller budgets than this left me feeling bored, frustrated, and even vaguely insulted. Truly a sequel in name alone. Outlast 2 pushed much further than most other entries in the genre, though. Expand
  33. Apr 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game itself looks nice but the story is very confusing and game​ isn't as scary as first one with DLC the ending is just bad and confusing.
    Not worth it's Price
  34. Apr 25, 2017
    Story was awfully explained graphics were awesome! But story > graphics in 2017, Also the story made no sense because it was about a girl dying and how the crash happened or how the story started nothing is explained.
  35. Apr 26, 2017
    The setting and different locations in this game are fantastic. Unfortunately, the constant chase sections, where you can clearly see the people and creatures that are after you, cause this game to lose the great atmosphere that was built. This is especially true in some of the sections where the game seems to devolve into trial and error navigating sections with dead ends. After a fewThe setting and different locations in this game are fantastic. Unfortunately, the constant chase sections, where you can clearly see the people and creatures that are after you, cause this game to lose the great atmosphere that was built. This is especially true in some of the sections where the game seems to devolve into trial and error navigating sections with dead ends. After a few hours the whole thing just becomes comical. There are a couple of good sections involving a school but everything outside of that just becomes a chore. i wouldn't mind if there was a good story but unfortunately the plot is just another crash, abduction, save the girl story masked in the it's all an illusion because "microwaves" cliche. Expand
  36. Apr 25, 2017
    Really good... and really bad.

As another horror game, excellent, as Outlast 2, a total deception. No continuation to the history, completely different ambience and thematic and so on. Please devs, if this is NOT Outlast 2 don't use it's name, you will get better acceptation from the Outlast fans.
  37. Jun 25, 2019
    This game was soo boring. And not scary at all. The plot is pretty interesting though.
  38. Apr 27, 2017
    While it's not necessarily bad, it's nothing special and didn't really surprise me as much as the first game. It has a decent story and graphics. I also liked the new gameplay elements like bandages, recording and camera mic. That's all great and all, but don't forget it's a horror game - I expected way more since this is an AAA horror game. I must say the settings wasn't as terrifying asWhile it's not necessarily bad, it's nothing special and didn't really surprise me as much as the first game. It has a decent story and graphics. I also liked the new gameplay elements like bandages, recording and camera mic. That's all great and all, but don't forget it's a horror game - I expected way more since this is an AAA horror game. I must say the settings wasn't as terrifying as the first one. Perhaps it's just me, but a closed setting like a haunted hospital terrifies me more than an open area like in Outlast 2. So, since the setting isn't scary, the only thing that could potentially be spooky are jump scares and chases. Jump scares is a cheap way to scare players - there are a lot of them in this one. And chases, well yeah, some of them are intense. Overall - it's a pretty decent game, though if you haven't played the first part, then you should play it first. Outlast and its Whistleblower DLC felt better than it's sequel. 7/10 Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2017
    Why on earth did they do this?

My feelings towards this game are mixed like you wouldn't believe. I truly loved the first one and its DLC, but this sequel simply does not hold a candle to the first game. While the premise definitely paved the way for a truly terrifying horror experience with quite an astonishing plot and impressive overall interactions, the result is simply not alike
    Why on earth did they do this?

My feelings towards this game are mixed like you wouldn't believe.
    While the premise definitely paved the way for a truly terrifying horror experience with quite an astonishing plot and impressive overall interactions, the result is simply not alike (at least in terms of gameplay). While the mistakes of the first game could easily be forgiven as it was their first installment, it is quite clear that finding these very faux pas again within the second installment's core is getting aggravating. It scares the world out of you through chases but there are still a lot of abstruse choices that make the game far less impressive than the first.

You still cannot defend yourself even during situations that would have anyone go berserk in a desperate attempt to save their life. You can puh down a godd*mn tree but cannot even throw even a single punch... Neither can you dodge attacks nor use your environment to slow down/hit your pursuers whereas the level design has quite a number of things that could allow such features. I'm not speaking about killing enemies or feeling powerful at all, I'm just tackling this willingly pared down gameplay which proves to be more frustrating than really frightening. Seriously, someone's attacking you but you can't even retaliate using your fists or a chair when inside a house to survive? If not a permanent ingame feature, the least they could do was to include defense animations as part of scripted events, where you slap an enemy's face so as to gain time to go and hide for instance which would have otherwise been impossible if the enemy had not been stunned beforehand for a little while. Imagine the chase possibilities it could have brought... What bores the satanist out of me is that they had the means to do it yet they chose not to. There's no variety of any kind as you spend your playthrough doing the same thing over and over (run, hide and change batteries and so forth...) Some people will clearly say "no you're dumb, you're not supposed to defend yourself in Outlast blablablahhh" and I'll tell those that when a second installment is being set up, it is logically expected to bring on further improvements which here is clearly not the case. This is FULL recycling.

Despite that, the atmosphere is truly terrific God-almighty. An absolute ambient masterpiece, a reference when it comes to stifling, jeopardizing your mental health. Absolutely insane, graphically the game is stupendous - and it is precisely because it is beautiful that it should have all the more so been far better in terms of gameplay core mechanics as the game had the inner guts to be as it happens far better thanks to bigger resources.

The scenario is good especially when it comes to setting and staging as it has a very strong basis. It quite succeeds in throwing you in the midst of some of the most mother-godd**mn-fuc*in' twisted moments ever depicted in a horror game. Some scenes are an absolute wonder of insanity and often manage to make you feel morally uncomfortable for getting off upon watching. The thing is, that despite this very strong basis, there are way to many huge incoherences because of the lack of intel given to the player (which I may not expound here to avoid any kind of spoilers). this gets really confusing at sometimes. Another thing : it's high time they got rid of useless jumpscares... That is not horror, it's low cost. It doesn't ruin the thrill of being chased/hunted down (which is the scariest part) but still, substandard jumpscares should not be allowed in such a strongly-based game.

I'm so pi*sed off Red Barrels, you could have done something amazing in every field but you partially failed at delivering me the inferno I've been craving for more than three years and half. **** it!
    6,5/10 (7 here because there's no half option).
  40. Apr 25, 2017
    An excellent sequel to the original Outlast. More hiding mechanics and increased maneuverability make things much more intense, and the scares are plenty and constant.
    While figuring out where to go or how to progress could be difficult at times, I still had an absolute blast playing this.
    Definitely one of my favorite games to come out this year
  41. Apr 25, 2017
    this game is good as long as you know what you at looking for. The game lives upto its reputation. do not go my word or reviews try it your self to experience story, atmosphere , graphics and sound effects. great
  42. Apr 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To sum it up, a hugely well made disappointment.
    I loved the camera, the fact you could record things and watch them and hear him commentate over it is a welcoming change which I hope they use in future Outlast's (if there is any). The graphics were fairly good. As I played this on PC it's fantastically optimised, didn't get a single crash in my 6 and half hour playthrough and not a single time I dropped below 100fps.
    The story was disappointing and confusing. You needed collectables to actually understand anything which is a shame. i dislike the forced chases through the game, and after the first couple of hours it just became the same thing over and over again. The new stamina mechanic is ridiculous and never should have been added to the game, it was very frustrating, if you was in that position you wouldn't slow down when being chased by a mad man with an axe.
    I have more negatives than positives for the game but I gave it a 7 because I was well immersed in the game and was genuinely frightened by most of the chases and enemies in the game.
    Hopefully they continue and improve the story with DLC coming out.
  43. Apr 26, 2017
    Nice graphics, story is interesting and awesome, characters are well rounded out and interesting, locations are jawdropping and the tensions are high! really love this game!
  44. May 9, 2017
    Игра - сплошное щелелазание с элементами паркура, состоящая из бредового сюжета, шаблонных уровней, глухой темноты и бесячих врагов (в особенности лучник-читер),
    которые к концу игры начинают дико выводить из себя. Персонажи, кстати, не раскрыты вообще. Такое ощущение, что их добавили тупо для галочки. И появляются они крайне редко.
    Никаких интересных диалогов, никакого по настоящему
    Никаких интересных диалогов, никакого по настоящему безумного колорита от них не дождешься. Так же, в игре присутствует достаточно кривой стелс, который почему-то не работает в прятках с боссами. В принципе, стелс здесь и не нужен, потому что большую часть времени ГГ не прячется, он бегает.
    Таким образом, получился не тот ужасный супер-хоррор, который нам обещали, а обычный симулятор бега от алкашей с препятствиями.
  45. May 3, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *SPOILERS AT THE END* I will give a warning before I start spoiling things. First half is spoiler free.

I have mixed feelings about this game. I have to say, where it it succeeds it excels and where it fails it fails badly.

The game is certainly scary, at parts, but the trial-and-error gameplay style switches it from "scary" to "frustratingly annoying" real quick, and a few gameplay tweaks could have changed this. I love a good challenge in a game, but I want to feel more terrified while playing a horror game than I want to be challenged, and it seems like the game tried so hard to be the latter it sacrificed horror elements at times in the process. Sometimes the controls felt off and I also found myself dying a lot because of the game and not my own inability to play. I often found myself getting stuck on a big pile of nothing and being killed in the process. The framerates would also randomly drop (and some play throughs it wouldn't, even in the exact same spot) which also gave me some difficulty playing. I also felt like the game relied too much on using the night vision mode on the camera and that the sound detector was kind of worthless in most of the game.

It did do a lot of things right, though. It certainly was scary when it tried to be. It was certainly tense, and the story was interesting, even if the ending needed more to it (I'll touch more on that in the spoilers). The character designs I felt were good. Numerous enough to feel like there was some kind of real variety there. I also liked the setting, even if it was cliche and unoriginal, I think it set the mood quite well.

*SPOILERS*

And here's some of the stuff in specific I did and didn't like.

While I hated my first encounter with Marta, I found her pretty scary throughout most of the encounters you have with her. Her scenes certainly felt tense and made you feel like you were actually running for your life. Except the last encounter at the end where she dies. I actually hated that, even though her death scene admittedly was relieving to see since she was such a bad person, I guess.

I hated Val. I felt Val was just an uninteresting, extremely unlikable in a bad way. I just didn't like Val and felt like their story fell a bit short, even though it had the potential to be really interesting. I felt like this character and story arc needed to be flushed out more, and not just through notes laying around.

I didn't understand the flashbacks. I think they were great at flushing out some of the story, but the monster (whatever it is) feels really out of place. This would have been better as strictly a psychological horror experience where you can't die. I think it would have broken up the monotony of the game and would have made it feel more brilliant. Maybe that's just me.

I didn't get the Scalled, even though they admittedly looked creepy they were syphilitics who were starving. In large numbers I'm sure they would have been strong, but these people were frail and dying. I don't get how they were able to kill Blake. I mean, it made no sense given their condition. You could be taken out by one without issue. It makes the main character look really weak. Laird and Nick were interesting and maybe the best villains in the game, but their deaths? It felt anti-climactic to be honest.

Finally, Knoth, who committed suicide, was certainly interesting. As a despicable villain I think he worked. I just wish there was more explaining how he gained so much influence in the first place. That's the same thing that bugs me about Val, though.

What I do understand is the people are all delusional because of a machine created by the Murkoff Corporation. I can get that's a motivator, but it still left a lot of questions unanswered, especially at the end. We don't find out how Lynn's pregnancy moved along so fast. That can't be explained by that machine. It's all so confusing and was never answered, even though it should have been. It honestly reeks of DLC that's probably already finished but won't be released for months.

Overall, I think Outlast 2 is good. Not great, but above average. It has some really bad flaws that I think are shameful and could have been easily avoided which would have made it better. As it stands the first game is better.
  46. Nov 11, 2017
    This game is the same as first Outlast, but now on the nature. And in the school. More screamers, religion and mysteries. After this game, I have a some questions, so I hope on the DLC.
  47. Mar 18, 2018
    Хороший ужастик с красивой графикой и интересным сюжетом! Сюжет с первого раза и не поймешь!
    Кругом мерзость, кишки и насилие! Вокруг различные религиозные фанатики которые жаждут вас выпотрошить!))
    И у главного героя "Тихо шифером шурша, КРЫША едет неспеша!))"
    И у главного героя "Тихо шифером шурша, КРЫША едет неспеша!))"
  48. Apr 26, 2017
    Игра очень понравилась,что первая что вторая часть,меня сложно чем либо напугать,но вторая часть предлагает вам постоянно быть в кипише вам не даётся время на передышку вам нужно постоянно от кого то убегать,локации стали больше атмосферней,присутствуют некоторые баги но на это я закрыл глаза,мне очень понравилось что ты ходишь по всяким пещерам читаешь записки и узнаёшь что здесь на этомИгра очень понравилась,что первая что вторая часть,меня сложно чем либо напугать,но вторая часть предлагает вам постоянно быть в кипише вам не даётся время на передышку вам нужно постоянно от кого то убегать,локации стали больше атмосферней,присутствуют некоторые баги но на это я закрыл глаза,мне очень понравилось что ты ходишь по всяким пещерам читаешь записки и узнаёшь что здесь на этом месте произошло что-то ужасное насилие убийства что угодно,и это всё с каждым разом тебя поглощает в атмосферу игры.Одно я заметил что многие говорят что игра слишком банальна,муж спасает жену,соглашусь но это сделано грамотно!Графика я к ней не придираюсь она атмосферная больше и не надо,другие нытики из-за графики идите лесом))она жуткая много не приятных вещей,играл только ночью и в наушниках и это было что-то,я доволен,стоит ли игра своих денег?Однозначно да яб и дал даже чуточку больше,моя оценка 9 из 10 потому что есть два минуса не приятных,с одним у меня либо руки из ж*пы или всёж БАГ бывали моменты что уроды которые тебя ищут видят тебя со спины,не часто такое было но проблема это есть,это я ещё на в присядь шёл)))и момент ближе к середину игры когда тебя ищут уже боссы то тут самое интересное,они на твоих глазах могут появится и пойти за тобой,не приятный момент или просто напросто за твоей спиной))Может не доработка ещё чего но это самое не приятное на этом всё,игра шикарна) Expand
  49. Apr 26, 2017
    Outlast 2
    More anxiety than Horror
    In Outlast 2 you play as a cameraman working with your wife doing your investigative journalism thing, getting to the bottom of the possible murder of a pregnant woman And then your helicopter crashes, you can’t find your wife, and you spend the rest of the game trying to find her… Outlast 2 is more open feeling than the claustrophobic original…
    Outlast 2
    More anxiety than Horror
    Outlast 2 is more open feeling than the claustrophobic original…
    While at the same time much more linear feeling
    But I found it to be a lot more stressful…
    Instead of 4 hours, Outlast 2 clocks in at a little less than 7…
    Which felt to be a bit of a mistake...
    It feels like it drags on forever, mostly thanks to the games awful pacing…
    This is still la survival horror game, collect batteries for your camera, use that camera to record things and as a light source, collect bandages to heal yourself when you’re hurt and get through everything the game throws at you..
    Hide under beds, and in barrels and lockers...
    But the game is missing those tense moments the original had…
    I feel outlast 2 throws way too many enemies at your way too often…
    This is where the pacing issue comes in...
    You never have down time, you never have time to soak in the environment and let it creep you out… because beyond the first chapter the game is throwing multiple enemies for you to deal with around every corner... and it isn’t tense or scary, it’s annoying...
    Getting through sections of the game is frustrating...
    You never feel like stealth is a real option...
    It never really feels like it works…
    Enemey detection is way too sensitive and I felt like they always knew where I was
    and I felt like I had to trigger enemies, make them chase me, and run around the map to get past sections…
    And some points in the game you’re forced to deal with situations like this
    and it just never stops, making the game feel like a chore, especially in the final few chapters..
    The game is gorgeous though, and creepy
    it’s full of jump scares and surprises, especially with the random transitions between your location in this religious cult and a catholic school…
    The game never becomes predictable.
    And is definitely worth seeing through to the end,
    I don’t want to set any expectations, but I’ll just say it’s better than the original outlasts ending.
    Outlast 2 has a lot going for it, as does the series in general...
    I just wish it stuck to the one enemy at a time formula the original had... it made moments tense...
    instead of throwing multiple enemies at you that you cant deal with and never letting you breathe…
    Again, I was more annoyed by outlast 2 than I was scared by it…
    The Demo was a more enjoyable experience for me than the actual game
    I give Outlast 2
    a 7.5/10
  50. Dec 26, 2017
    Its a tense, fascinating, but sadly confusing experience. With the linearity of the game, it seems strange that they would include sprawling sections where you spend a long time just figuring out the lay of the land, likely dying constantly, getting frustrated, only to go, "oh, that's what where I was supposed to go?" I was desperate for any form of direction. Too much and you loseIts a tense, fascinating, but sadly confusing experience. With the linearity of the game, it seems strange that they would include sprawling sections where you spend a long time just figuring out the lay of the land, likely dying constantly, getting frustrated, only to go, "oh, that's what where I was supposed to go?" I was desperate for any form of direction. Too much and you lose immersion, but too little can have the same result but you also deal frustration.

I really enjoyed the plot. It is interesting and satisfying. The gameplay is smoother and more varied than the original. Setting (loved the school), characters, and scare tactics improve also. However, the game's biggest saving grace is that it achieves what so few horrors manage, and that is it maintains (possibly enhances) the level of tension throughout. For that reason, as confused and frustrated as I was, I really look back on Outlast 2 with sadness that its over.
  51. May 6, 2017
    Fantastic game. Oulast 2 is better in every way of the first excellent game. Great graphics, fantastic atmosphere, wonderfull locations and exellent gameplay. I dont understant very negative reviews of some people. Red barrels is very talented studio and this is the proof. I hope for another game of the same quality in the future. A must buy
  52. May 19, 2017
    This game has an amazing graphic but sadly it’s too dark in the area, I can see nothing without turning on the camera every time. Finding a way to run is very confusing because it’s too dark and area is too narrow, so every time I am stuck in a corner or a group of madman and dying and repeat the same process until I found my way out.

Hiding in this game is useless, because enemy will

Hiding in this game is useless, because enemy will find you anyway no matter where you hide, so you can run only to progress throughout the game. When you want to run to the checkpoint, the character is always exhausted and then you die which is frustrated sometime because you have to listen to the same dialogue and getting jump scare over and over, which won’t make you feel scared anymore.
  53. May 20, 2017
    Видно сразу, что люди, которые ставят высокую оценку - делают это для хайпа. Типа "Это же Аутласт! Кирпичи! 10 батареек из 10" и это грустно. Аутласт 2 - разочарование. Симулятор поиска батареек, беготни и бредовых телепортаций из локации в локацию.Видно сразу, что люди, которые ставят высокую оценку - делают это для хайпа. Типа "Это же Аутласт! Кирпичи! 10 батареек из 10" и это грустно. Аутласт 2 - разочарование. Симулятор поиска батареек, беготни и бредовых телепортаций из локации в локацию.
  54. Apr 29, 2017
    the game is not perfect but i really enjoyed my time with it. Great survival horror if you liked the first one there is no reason to not like this one too. I played on the nightmatre difficulty and loved the challenge that offered. Cheers
  55. May 5, 2017
    The first impression of the game are the same as on the demo. Everything is cool, and nothing is clear. The story is so twisted that after the passage I had to look to other theories and making guess youtubers. But Red Barrels, you sick freaks. Such a good story crafted to detail I haven`t seen in any other game. Although sometimes the story begins to pull vomiting out of blood / guts,The first impression of the game are the same as on the demo. Everything is cool, and nothing is clear. The story is so twisted that after the passage I had to look to other theories and making guess youtubers. But Red Barrels, you sick freaks. Such a good story crafted to detail I haven`t seen in any other game. Although sometimes the story begins to pull vomiting out of blood / guts, etc. Graphic component is great. You can really call it next-gene now. And scripted-scenes become much better here than in the first part. However, if you are so rich company Red Barrels, why you did`nt buy motion-cap technology? Innovation. The new system of capture notes just amazing, for that respect to you. Now you really feel like a journalist. The same feeling about the note. Now you can go to the main menu and view the records. As a result, after the walktrough of this game I have a good impression. I recommend for purchase, and hey, Red Barrels, make DSL or continue to learn more about the story. Before, I did`nt use to like you, Red Barrels, but now I`m your quite a big fan. Expand
  56. Apr 30, 2017
    Outlast 2 is one of the most intense games produced. It just doesn't rely on jumpscare alone but also put alot of great chases which are pretty solid elements of a horror game. The story is interesting but the problem of this is it seems that almost of the story was written on the scattered documents instead of having it narrated and it seems that almost of the people who played the gameOutlast 2 is one of the most intense games produced. It just doesn't rely on jumpscare alone but also put alot of great chases which are pretty solid elements of a horror game. The story is interesting but the problem of this is it seems that almost of the story was written on the scattered documents instead of having it narrated and it seems that almost of the people who played the game doesn't read alot of those so plot holes are created.

But for the experience alone, the game is a solid 10, With great intense chases, very unique jumpscares + with very good psychological aspects to it + with all new polished graphics. Overall very good game.
  57. Apr 30, 2017
    Outlast 2 brings back the great horror from the first one, improving on the gameplay. The sounds are amazingly handled and the graphics, despite using Unreal Engine 3, look very good.

The gameplay can get a bit repetitive over time as there are many chase sequences throughout the game. I heard that the other difficulty levels, aside from "Normal", are broken leading to some bugs that broke the experience for some.

The story is amazingly detailed but the delivery was very weak, since most of the plot makes sense if you read the notes that give some background information. Looking at the story in its entirety, it is way better and more interesting than the first one and definitely one of the best stories from a horror game.

Overall, the game is amazing, the tension it builds is great, there is no place where you can feel safe. Considering that this game was made by an Indie developer and it's price ($30), this is a game is worth buying.
  58. May 1, 2017
    Не смотря на негативные оценки к это игре, мне игра ОЧЕНЬ понравилась, она на много атмосфернее первой части, а мир очень красивый и проработанный и детализованный. Жду сюжетных DLC.
  59. May 6, 2017
    This, in itself, is a very f***ed up game, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart; the violence and sensuality gets as adult as it can get in here. However, the quality of the game and the darkness of the story itself is something that definitely should receive praise. Even if you haven't played the original Outlast (which you should if you haven't), you're going to understand aThis, in itself, is a very f***ed up game, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart; the violence and sensuality gets as adult as it can get in here. However, the quality of the game and the darkness of the story itself is something that definitely should receive praise. Even if you haven't played the original Outlast (which you should if you haven't), you're going to understand a lot of things in this game anyway, as the connection on both games' lore is slim. (Or you can read The Murkoff Account, I don't care.) The maddening environment, the disturbing "visions" that Blake has, and the constant thrill of being chased unexpectedly is what makes a horror game, well, a horror game, and for that, I appreciate what got put in here. They kept their promise when they said this would scare the crap out of us. Expand
  60. May 11, 2017
    Great game, but gameplay suck balls. Seriously, gameplay suck really hard and stealth mechanic with level design FaiL. I do not know in what game i died more, in Dark Souls or Outlast 2&!
  61. May 21, 2017
    Really great atmosphere and scary environment. Great story and memorable characters with an outstanding soundtrack. Only a few little problems holding it back but overall it is a well done game!
  62. May 23, 2017
    The first Outlast game was not that good, and this makes up for that while committing other errors.

Firstly, the atmosphere and the premise is much more attractive, the location switches and all makes it less repetitive than it's prequel, but, we also get the same problem it had, this hide and seek game that just doesn't make any sense. I don't know how they thought that repeating

I don't know how they thought that repeating the same thing, even with that annoying camera would make sense, because even with it context, it's just a bad gimmick to avoid the typical flashlight.

The things that doesn't work this time, an OP enemy that sees you even when you are hidden just because it triggers the script, the noise detector that fakes enemy location and the replay feature of the camera is useless.

The story is not as bad as the last one, they put some effort on the context with those letters, and some scenes are well orchestrated, but all in all it doesn't feel as solid as it should.
  63. Jul 20, 2017
    Five Word Review: Gory romp through crazy town.
    Favorite Thing: The atmosphere. It was pretty creepy and sickening.
    Least Favorite Thing: The battery mechanic was a terrible mechanic in the last game and it's a terrible mechanic in this game. I missed a few scares while trying to conserve batteries. Date Completed: 2017-07-15 Playtime: ~ 8h Enjoyment: 8/10 Recommendation: Yes. If,
    Five Word Review: Gory romp through crazy town.
    Favorite Thing: The atmosphere. It was pretty creepy and sickening.

Date Completed: 2017-07-15
    Playtime: ~ 8h
    Enjoyment: 8/10
    Recommendation: Yes. If, like me, you enjoy horror games you'll enjoy this one.
  64. Aug 5, 2017
    I played this game in nightmare mode, is nice and well done BUT:

1 - enemies are idiotically strong and unpredictable, one shot-hit and one hit-kill. Sometimes you survive but there's almost always a couple other that will kill you before you even get up 2 - there's no way to fight back even the weakest enemy, even a sick one-armed man 3 - I don't know how to look at game design, it's
    I played this game in nightmare mode, is nice and well done BUT:

3 - I don't know how to look at game design, it's really bad but maybe it is designed that way to make it more frustrating. It succeeds
    4 - very hard to tell which way to go considering almost every time you don't have any time to actually choose a direction being hunted as you are
    5 - forget notes and secret documents, in this game you'll read a lot of prayers with hidden meanings, I just stopped after a while because of ther sheer verbosity of the stuff.
    6 - stealth is nicely done but useless more often than not, running and hoping to find a way before they catch you is usually the right answer in every situation.
    7 - hiding spots are very deceptive, and in some occasions you can't interact with them no more based on the plot whim

The overall feeling from this game is a vague sense of reiterate punishment, as your every action will kill you if imperfectely executed or alternatively put you in an equally bad situation if perfectly done, with very sparse and few quiet parts. This is easily one of the most frustrating game in the industry, and I have a feeling it's not by accident. I'm about to finish it and would not be surprised if the end credits spelled a single big "F**K YOU" and nothing else.

EDIT: now I have finished the game. Superb finale, the plot is one of the best ever. Unfortunately its full understanding requires attention to detail and some few key hidden documents, and this game discourages the required exploration, as most of the time you're either sorrounded or running for your skin. All in all a beautiful and very different game
  65. Aug 5, 2017
  66. Aug 8, 2017
    Outlast 2 jest krwawy, brutalny i bezprecedensowy. Odwrócone krzyże, martwe noworodki, rozczłonkowane ciała - nie ma tutaj tematu tabu. Wizerunku dopełnia krwawy deszcz, który spływa na naszego bohatera w jednej z lokacji. Jak jednak taka ilość przemocy wpływa to na samą rozgrywkę? Po 7 godzinach mojej przygody z tym tytułem mogę powiedzieć jedno - to było intensywne i mocne przeżycie,Outlast 2 jest krwawy, brutalny i bezprecedensowy. Odwrócone krzyże, martwe noworodki, rozczłonkowane ciała - nie ma tutaj tematu tabu. Wizerunku dopełnia krwawy deszcz, który spływa na naszego bohatera w jednej z lokacji. Jak jednak taka ilość przemocy wpływa to na samą rozgrywkę? Po 7 godzinach mojej przygody z tym tytułem mogę powiedzieć jedno - to było intensywne i mocne przeżycie, które cholernie mi się podobało. Mniej więcej do połowy trochę wiało nudą, ale później to prawdziwa jazda bez trzymanki. Szkoda tylko, że fabuła pozostawia tak wiele interpretacji, ale w tym wypadku można to również potraktować jako atut. Outlast 2 wraz z Resident Evil 7 to aktualnie najlepsze survival horrory 2017 roku.

Plusy:
    + grafika, wygląd lokacji i otoczenia
    + wszechobecne uczucie strachu i zaszczucia
    + brudny, mroczny i krwawy świat
    + robiący wrażenie przeciwnicy
    + historia z potencjałem

Minusy:
    – miejscami źle zbalansowany poziom trudności
    – fabuła pozostawia masę interpretacji
    – mało satysfakcjonujące zakończenie

Pełna recenzja dostępna jest na blogu Gracz.org
  67. Oct 2, 2017
    Great, scary, simple, everything you could possibly expect in a horror game. Outlast 2 excels at scary but the story is strangely put together and might take you awhile to straighten out what is going on but Outlast 2 defines the horror genre with this stunning chapter to the Outlast series!
  68. Oct 18, 2017
    Nothing too spectacular really, I guess I am suffering from to high expectations, as it was recommended as the scariest game ever... it goes nowhere near scariness of evil within, or silent hill, it's not extremely bad ether, if you are afraid or darkness and freaks then this is your game...
  69. Apr 5, 2018
    A Red Barrels fez um excelente trabalho com a jogabilidade e o terror psicológico, porém faltou um esclarecimento da história que está confusa, uma DLC não seria mau para fazer isso. Mas tirando isso nada a reclamar.
  70. May 10, 2018
    На мой скромный взгляд геймплея игре не достает.
    Сделать дважды симулятор ходьбы и бега от безумцев - это как минимум странно.
    Для тех кто любит пощекотать себе нервы вполне пойдет, но ничем другим кроме страха быть застигнутым в этих "салочках" от монстров вас игр а не удивит и не испугает. За свой ценник вполне недурно , но лично мне странно, что ГГ вообще не в состоянии себя
    На мой скромный взгляд геймплея игре не достает.
    Сделать дважды симулятор ходьбы и бега от безумцев - это как минимум странно.
    За свой ценник вполне недурно , но лично мне странно, что ГГ вообще не в состоянии себя защитить...
    Возможность вырубить противника не является чем-то невероятным, просто скучно сидеть и только сидеть, а еще убегать.
    Надеюсь далее разработчик концепцию доработает.
  71. Mar 22, 2019
    Ten points just because of Jessica. And since the game is not bad, however, the short storyline, and a lot of running around from all sorts of idiots, it is very annoying, but the graphic part with the storyline in the school is chic.
  72. Feb 23, 2020
    incredible story. Although to understand is hard. game has epic story, cool graphics, new camera updates. if you can not understand story it can became you will say it sucks. but no nowadays many games hc many secrets it encourages you to investigate and for me it is very cool
  73. Mar 13, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this game is done unbelievably well like it's first ones. I love the Atmosphere, the soundtrack (including the ambiance), the graphics and the characters. The school parts are also very nervbreaking at some point, because of this claustrophobic feeling, which I really appreciated in the first Outlast games. This game although features a complete different environment, which is open. That means, a complete opposite from the first games, but it's still managing making in a frightening experience for me at least. Many players were complaining about the AI, many chases, even the story and the ending. I honestly can understand the critical voices among the players. Dear Red Barrels I just wanted to make up some thing clear. The chases didn't make the first Outlast so famous. It was the Atmosphere and the cool characters, such as Fatty, Eddie Gluskin (my absolute favourite character), the Walrider, Father Martin, Miles Upshur, Waylon Park, Jeremy Blaire and so on and so on. In Outlast 2 there are honestly not so many memorable characters. I mean Marta is very scary at many points, but Nick and Laird really wanted me to punch my screen. The school demon was the most scary thing I saw in a horror game in my opinion. Also I very liked Papa Knoth and would have wished giving him more screen time, because he is a very intersting character. Unlike some other people I didn't have any problems with the brightness. I mean come on, a forest at night, of course it will be dark. The story of this game or let's say the lore, is what makes you as player proceed and motivated to play 'till the very end. The whole mix between illusion and reality was a thing in Outlast 2 which I really appreciated. Deep beyond the surface of Outlast 2 is a very sad story which is mixed with the events happening in the main game. The more we proceed the worse the issusions in the school get and the more we uncover the dark truth and traumatization which Blake (the main protagonist) had to face, when he was a little boy in the christian school. Personally I liked the religion based topic in the Outlast series, but I would have wished a more obvious connection with the Murkoff Corperation (if you ain't ignorant you will see realize that Murkoff is playing a major role on the brainwashing of the villagers and Blake. So in a nutshell, Outlast 2 in my opinion is a worthful sequel to the first Outlast (2013) and I definetly recommend playing this game. It will give you nightmares. Expand
  74. Nov 19, 2018
    Игра сделана крайне небрежно и криво. Единственное, что её спасает - мерзкие сцены (такого вы нигде не уведете). Сюжет оставляет большое пространство для фантазии, поскольку разработчики намеренно оставили в нём кучу пробелов.Игра сделана крайне небрежно и криво. Единственное, что её спасает - мерзкие сцены (такого вы нигде не уведете). Сюжет оставляет большое пространство для фантазии, поскольку разработчики намеренно оставили в нём кучу пробелов.
  75. Jun 3, 2019
  76. Jul 27, 2019
    As a big fan of the first Outlast I was baffled how far from the first game this one landed.
    Laughable and juvenile writing, characters, and "story" and most of all boring and sometimes broken game play.
    Stay away.
  77. Aug 16, 2019
    As the first Outlast, this game has a amazing quality, nice graphics, explicit violence, fear and some jumpscares, and the history its very heavy but good
  78. Oct 7, 2019
    A complete downgrade from the original Outlast in nearly every possible way story, design and gameplay mechanics and to a lesser extent characters.

expect to die more often in this one as despite the more open environments in the game (which are ultimately pointless due to the linearity of the routes you take in the game) you'll often end up a little more lost than in the asylum which easily guided you due to its brilliant simplicity of a straight hallway, but even that discredits the level design of Outlast which was possibly some of the best level design in any modern horror game to date due to the tension, atmosphere and aspects like the lighting and attention to detail.

Outlast 2 will likely disgust and infuriate you but ultimately depress you story wise, level design and game play mechanic-wise it will infuriate, and a combination of both will depress you. The story had great potential but is ultimately weak, far weaker than Outlast and the sequel Whistleblower DLC. The story takes place in the present and in dream-like sequences in a school which echo the original design of Outlast and are brilliantly directed overall. If the entire game was those sequences Outlast 2 would be on par with Outlast and possibly surpass it, the religious imagery is kept to a minimum despite the school being of the nature. But instead your forced through mountains of gore and disgusting crap that is cheap and just plain tryhard. Thematically Outlast 2 is a mess with a ton of religious imagery thrust in your face at all times cheapened by the gore and humorous crap happening around you which scream irony. Its overwhelming with little nuance or introspection and forethought leading to massive tonal immersion loss.

Outlast and Whistleblower had very nuanced themes of humanity and the loss of it, corruption and psychosis while combining technology into the mix and managed it fine, Outlast 2 can't seem to manage anything because its trying to force everything at once. There's no combat but unlike Outlast which had a lore based reason for this, there's plenty of potential weapons and not to spoil anything but some of the characters aren't exactly as intimidating as Outlasts main antagonists, but you can't fight back in Outlast 2 for no good reason.
  79. Nov 11, 2019
    Me re cagué encima es impresionante el nivel de realismo q maneja esto
    Al nivel del twister
  80. Feb 6, 2020
    8/10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  81. Feb 9, 2020
    Отличная игра, достойное продолжение. Благодаря концовки (начиная примерно с кровавого дождя) игра дотягивает до своей оценки 7/10, первая половины игры бред, пробежки по деревушке ни о чем, подумал, что данная часть провал полный, но концовка все исправила. Проходить можно и нужно!Отличная игра, достойное продолжение. Благодаря концовки (начиная примерно с кровавого дождя) игра дотягивает до своей оценки 7/10, первая половины игры бред, пробежки по деревушке ни о чем, подумал, что данная часть провал полный, но концовка все исправила. Проходить можно и нужно!
  82. Mar 28, 2020
    El mejor juego de terror que he jugado en mi puta vida, no hagais caso a los hijos de puta que le ponen nota baja, es basicamente por que son unos cacas y no la pasaron bien
  83. May 18, 2020
    Outlast 2 has a fascinating story about religious extremism and how it can misrepresent an entire faith. Sadly, this is bogged down by some unpolished gameplay which can feel inconsistent and fails to guide the player along an intended path at times, making it feel like trial and error. That's not to say it's terrible though, as it can still carry some good tension and dread at times. IfOutlast 2 has a fascinating story about religious extremism and how it can misrepresent an entire faith. Sadly, this is bogged down by some unpolished gameplay which can feel inconsistent and fails to guide the player along an intended path at times, making it feel like trial and error. That's not to say it's terrible though, as it can still carry some good tension and dread at times. If you find yourself content with the gameplay and can focus on the story and its themes, however, I think that you may have a great time experiencing it. Expand
  84. May 20, 2020
    Scariest game I've ever played! Is there anything scarier than this thing in world?

Generally favorable reviews - based on 48 Critic Reviews

1. Oct 23, 2019
    A faltering sequel that borrows even more liberally from well-worn horror tropes than its predecessor, Outlast 2 ends up a middling entry despite its high production values and some shining moments of found footage fright.
  2. Jul 5, 2017
    Red Barrels built the sequel on the tried more of the same principle, but this is by far is not the worst problem of the second installment.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 5, 2017
    Instead of the standard entertainment, we received unnecessarily over-combined horror game with atmosphere incomparable to the original one. [Issue#275]