8.5

1. Aug 11, 2013
    It's good for what it is, the worst thing I could say is that it perhaps gets a bit tedious at times. For a game that looks like it does, it does quite well for itself. It's really innovative and I've never played anything like it; as an immigration inspector, you must determine the validity of each person's a passport and supporting documents by comparing them to rules and regulationsIt's good for what it is, the worst thing I could say is that it perhaps gets a bit tedious at times. For a game that looks like it does, it does quite well for itself. It's really innovative and I've never played anything like it; as an immigration inspector, you must determine the validity of each person's a passport and supporting documents by comparing them to rules and regulations given to you you can eye most of the stuff, but if you aren't sure there is an "inspection tool" that allows you to know for sure if a discrepancy is found. Sometimes errors can be easy to spot like and expired passport, sometimes it's a bit trickier like a person's name or weight being incorrect. The game makes things more complex as you progress, but one of the problems I had is that the only way to tell if the gender is correct is by using the inspection tool, no thanks in part to the graphics. Overall, a very well-made game. Expand
  2. Rem
    Sep 21, 2014
    Papers Please smirks an interesting premise, set in a fictional Russian region known as Arstotzka, you assume the role of a border agent. One weakness of this game would be that it doesn't really give you much reason to try and earn as much to keep your family alive. I simply played for the sake of immersion. I also loved how the game always added new challenges and rules, by the end ofPapers Please smirks an interesting premise, set in a fictional Russian region known as Arstotzka, you assume the role of a border agent. One weakness of this game would be that it doesn't really give you much reason to try and earn as much to keep your family alive. I simply played for the sake of immersion. I also loved how the game always added new challenges and rules, by the end of the game, it was one of the most challenging games I've played in a while without having to fire a gun. The game surely isn't superb being that it doesn't drive you any further than your first journey and the ending, while being 20 of them, falls short. Regardless, Papers Please is worthy of Glory to Arstotzka. Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    It's simple, but quite entertaining. While you are just checking papers and letting people into the country, more restrictions are added over time which keeps you on your toes a little bit. It wasn't the checking papers that made me like it so much, but the small moral dilemmas of every day life you are presented with during the game. Should you let this person through even if they haveIt's simple, but quite entertaining. While you are just checking papers and letting people into the country, more restrictions are added over time which keeps you on your toes a little bit. It wasn't the checking papers that made me like it so much, but the small moral dilemmas of every day life you are presented with during the game. Should you let this person through even if they have the right papers? Sometimes you simply didn't make enough money to pay for heating in your house. It's interesting, and the most enjoyable part is seeing who you have to check papers for next. Also, the reason why your country gets more strict on security.

It's a cheap, simple game that is refreshing. You have to think during the game, but it isn't stressful. It really embraces you into the world and country you have to live and work in.
  4. May 2, 2014
    About as tedious as actually working in an immigration office, Papers, Please offers a unique story that is told in a wonderful way, but somewhere along the line, the programmers forgot that sometimes games are supposed to be FUN and have challenge.

The gameplay of the game consists entirely of examining documents given to you by immigrants and attempting to figure out if they are lying about their information, forged, their documents, etc. This means looking at tiny numbers, comparing them to other numbers, comparing the person and their mugshot (which may or may not look the same, but the game considers the same person), and occasionally dealing with situations that dramatically alter the story of the game, which is actually quite good.

This novelty is fun for the first few levels, when you are just cycling through numbers, comparing weights, heights, hairstyles, etc. However, the game quickly becomes unreasonable in what it asks. You see, this isn't a puzzler. You don't have your own time to figure these out.

Your character is essentially paid on commission, and for every person that goes through, he gets money. For every character that goes through and shouldn't, or ones that should go through but you turn away, you are issued a citation and fined. This means that you can't buy upgrades and you can't take your money home to your family. Mess up enough times, and your family is put to death by the government.

This completely asinine ticking clock mechanics makes the game extremely stressful in a not fun way, as you cycle through person after person, trying to match up upwards of 10 sets of rules (needs specific symbol on password, needs three forms of ID if native, two if immigrant, heights match, dates match, diplomats don't require ID, etc), which gets massively tedious incredibly quickly.

I am a guy who loves a good story, and the story of this game really gripped me. However, the gameplay is shallow, boring, and literally just irritating. You can call it meta or whatever you want, but at the end of the day, this is a tedious game with irritating rules and a great story.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    hmmmm, someone can tell me whats so incredible awesome about this game? played it for half an hour and never touched it again. when i read the critics it seems to me that every indie-game becomes a 50percent+ bonus just because its "indie", which is maybe fair faced the work a little indie team has to do compared with big companies, but is not objective at all. although in respect to otherhmmmm, someone can tell me whats so incredible awesome about this game? played it for half an hour and never touched it again. when i read the critics it seems to me that every indie-game becomes a 50percent+ bonus just because its "indie", which is maybe fair faced the work a little indie team has to do compared with big companies, but is not objective at all. although in respect to other indie titles i would give this a 5. there are other indie titles with dystopian theme and riddles outthere which are way better. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2013
    I really thought that a game that involves processing paperwork repeatedly might be you know, boring. But so many other reviewers said it didn't, so I gave it a try. And it was sort of like pushing paperwork around which is, for me, boring. Sure, it has a nice art-y point (kafkaesque bureaucracy is terrible), but I knew that without having to pay $10. After about an hour of pushingI really thought that a game that involves processing paperwork repeatedly might be you know, boring. But so many other reviewers said it didn't, so I gave it a try. And it was sort of like pushing paperwork around which is, for me, boring. Sure, it has a nice art-y point (kafkaesque bureaucracy is terrible), but I knew that without having to pay $10. After about an hour of pushing paperwork around and trying to keep track of the rules, I lost interest. I should disclaim that I also kind of push papers for a living myself, so perhaps that's related: too much like real life, which is not what I look for in games. Expand
  7. Aug 22, 2013
    I could see the appeal, I enjoyed the unique concept and really tried liking it. But, honestly? I think it's either you like it or you don't. Well done, yet not for me.
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Papers, Please is a very original game, but unfortunately it doesn't reward the time you spend with it. During the first hour or two of playtime it's easy to find yourself immersed in the dystopian fictional world and curious about what will happen next. However, after a while you realize that there is very little variety in terms of the scenarios that present themselves. Assuming youPapers, Please is a very original game, but unfortunately it doesn't reward the time you spend with it. During the first hour or two of playtime it's easy to find yourself immersed in the dystopian fictional world and curious about what will happen next. However, after a while you realize that there is very little variety in terms of the scenarios that present themselves. Assuming you manage to stay on the good side of your superiors, this lack of variety leads to sessions that drag on and on and become extremely tedious.

After reaching the end of any given playthrough there's little point in playing again. The only changes you'll encounter are when you get to choose a slightly different path by allowing somebody's wife through (or not), confiscating a diplomat's passport (or not), and so on. The differences in outcome are minor at best and certainly not worth 30-60 minutes of drudgery as you click through endless piles of documents.

The game's presentation is bare bones, but I think the audio and visual style works well and accomplishes what it sets out to do. The interface is decent, although the small space you have to work with means getting papers lost under other ones and lots of annoyance as you go digging for whatever it is you're looking for. The system for finding discrepancies is a fairly opaque at first, which will lead to frustration as you wonder how to properly execute your instructions. Even later on this can be an issue at times as the demands you're placed under become more and more complex.

I think Papers, Please is an interesting experiment and worth at least playing around with for a few hours. I'd definitely wait for it to go on sale though. I just don't think most people will find enough enjoyment here to justify paying full price.
  9. Jul 9, 2014
    Papers, Please is a very strange and difficult to rate game. You are an immigration officer, charged with determining who to let into the fictional Eastern European communist country of Arstotzka. Even the genre of the game is rather hard to pin down; ultimately, the game boils down to trying to find inconsistencies in the papers, making it a puzzle game of sorts, but it somehow lendsPapers, Please is a very strange and difficult to rate game. You are an immigration officer, charged with determining who to let into the fictional Eastern European communist country of Arstotzka. Even the genre of the game is rather hard to pin down; ultimately, the game boils down to trying to find inconsistencies in the papers, making it a puzzle game of sorts, but it somehow lends checking people’s paperwork an air of great gravity and tension, even if the actual activity itself is rather boring.

I don’t know if you can really say that Papers, Please is a fun game; there is a great feeling of tension throughout, and yet also of monotony. Somehow, you feel obligated to keep your faceless family members alive; somehow, you feel like the question of a bribe is a real one that has real weight; somehow, you feel like what you’re doing is important. And yet, ultimately, you’re just checking paperwork and determining whether or not to let people through based on the paperwork and your own feelings about the situation.

It is definitely an engaging experience, but I'm not sure if I can really say that I had fun playing it, apart from the interactions with Jorji and the tasks I did for EZIC. But I still played all the way through without putting it down.
  10. Aug 9, 2013
    Refreshing and unique but plagued by some major errors. It's a simple game, deny or allow entry to your country and look for things that do not match up on documents. However as the game progresses it gets more difficult such as more documents, height, weight, etc. this would be okay but there are two huge problems that appear. One your desk will be so crowded you will loose papers and theRefreshing and unique but plagued by some major errors. It's a simple game, deny or allow entry to your country and look for things that do not match up on documents. However as the game progresses it gets more difficult such as more documents, height, weight, etc. this would be okay but there are two huge problems that appear. One your desk will be so crowded you will loose papers and the time limit does not allow the required time to look everything over so after day 10 you are left guessing and taking shots in the dark. It also becomes boring quite fast as you are doing the same thing over and over. It has an art effect to it and it is a unique game, but it's not $10 unique. Expand
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    I have poured more than 10 hours on this game, and even if I like it, I cannot bring myself to give it more than an average score. Don't get me wrong, was this 1995, this game would have been a fond memory, and being a product of it's time, it would have been a personal favorite.

But here is the catch, it's not 1995, the standards for released games are much higher than it were. No longer can a game like this shine when it has the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Europa Universalis IV, and Bioshock to compete against. It's addictive, it relies on oneself to solve the oh so mighty question of whether this dear old Kolechian lady is trying to get away with cheating the system, and it's really fun because of it.

But it's no masterpiece, it's no 9/10. It can't be, not anymore. It's time could have been 20 years ago. And before you dismiss my review, I get the whole retro look, the Indie scene, and all that, I just don't use it as a get out of jail card.

Ten hours into the game, and I'm done, I will never look back on it. It's not a jewel, it's a fake renaissance painting, and everyone is falling for it.
  12. Mar 8, 2015
    This is a depressingly realistic game but not an entirely unrewarding one. In fact it takes a very simple concept; paperwork in increasing quantities and of increasing complexity; and asks that you check it against existing guidelines for mistakes or falsehoods. At first it is about as exciting as it sounds. But then the pressures of getting this tedium out of the way quickly so you canThis is a depressingly realistic game but not an entirely unrewarding one. In fact it takes a very simple concept; paperwork in increasing quantities and of increasing complexity; and asks that you check it against existing guidelines for mistakes or falsehoods. At first it is about as exciting as it sounds. But then the pressures of getting this tedium out of the way quickly so you can service as many people during a shift as possible, in order to pay your bills, and of doing it without mistakes so you won`t be fined start to kick in. The more rules you have to observe and the more papers have to be shown by every person entering your booth the harder it gets to keep things moving along. Rush and you`ll make mistakes and get fined. Be too conscientious and you won`t have time to get enough people through customs, or indeed rejected for some discrepancy. It is a fascinating process to go through, and at the end of it you must necessarily have developed your own system for checking all the facts you need to check in a timely and organized fashion, or it`s just not going to be possible.
    Just listing all the possible mistakes you can make in the sea of papers and procedures this game throws at you would be too long. Wrong gender on the passport, wrong picture, wrong name on the work visa, wrong date on the access pass, wrong city of issue on the passport, bomb strapped to leg which you couldn`t find. It is endless but all just natural and inevitable consequences of the complexity of the concept. Which is basically monotonous paperwork at a border crossing. It should be neither fun or engaging but somehow it manages to be. At least for a while.

I would score it higher like all the hipsters are doing. But the game suffers from a distinct lack of replayability. Not that it necessarily needs it. It is obviously amongst other things a political and social statement which also forces some stark moral choices on the player as it goes along. But replaying the same days over again becomes less and less alluring with each new start until you just call it a day at some point. I got to day 21 (Out of 30 I believe) before I was arrested on my last game. And I just couldn`t face going through all those days one more time, just so I could see the last week and a half. Call me a quitter!
  13. Aug 24, 2013
    Papers, Please is certainly a unique game. But being unique doesn't necessarily mean being good. The entire premise is accepting or rejecting people into your country. It was fun for a while, but there just isn't enough to keep you playing. The difficulty takes a massive spike a few 'days' into the game, and it becomes a rush to check everything for errors against the abysmally short clockPapers, Please is certainly a unique game. But being unique doesn't necessarily mean being good. The entire premise is accepting or rejecting people into your country. It was fun for a while, but there just isn't enough to keep you playing. The difficulty takes a massive spike a few 'days' into the game, and it becomes a rush to check everything for errors against the abysmally short clock counting down until you reach the end of the day. It's an interesting idea, but it could have been done much better. Expand
  14. Aug 13, 2014
    Im Spiel spielen Sie einen Zollwärter des erfundenen Landes Arstotzka, an einem Grenzposten im inneren des Russischen Reiches. Sie sind als Zollwärter für das Abarbeiten der Einreisenden verantwortlich.
    Dabei stehen sie unter Zeitdruck, da sie nur für jede abgearbeitete Person Gehalt bekommen. Außerdem sitzt ihnen ein Geheimdienst im Nacken, wodurch sie immer auf Passfäschungen, Personen ohne Einreiseerlaubnis…. gefasst sein müssen.
    Im Spiel werden auch die Einzelschicksale vieler Reisender beschrieben, wo es oft von ihrer Entscheidung abhängt, wie sich das Leben dieser Personen weiter entwickelt.
    Oft müssen sie dann aufgrund des Geheimdienstes die Wahl treffen, ob sie einer Person an der Grenze helfen wollen, oder ob sie ihre Familie ernähren wollen.
    Diese Dramatik wird aber an Personen, welch sich nicht gut in solche Situationen einfühlen können vorbeigehen, wodurch das Spiel seinen Reiz verliert.

Bewertung:
    (Alle Aspekte ausgenommen Story werden mit einer Auswahl zwischen 1 und 10 Punkten bewertet. Story mit einem Wert zwischen 1 und 20. Aus der Summe durch 10 wird dann der "Score“ ermittelt.)

Grafik: 6 (zweckmäßig)
    Performance: 10 (sehr gut)
    Story: 16 (nicht für jeden etwas)
    (Spielzeit in Stunden durch Preis in €) mal 10: 10 ((8:8)*10=10, hoher Wiederspielwert)
    Sound: 6 (zweckmäßig)
    Bedienung: 7 (etwas fummelig)
    Balance: 9 (schwer aber nicht unfair)
    Proprietäre Features (weniger =besser): 10 (keine)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Summe: 74
  15. Aug 18, 2013
    You can spend hours relaxing and playing this. The only problem I have is the story is short. I would like the game to get additions for paperwork. It leaves me wanting more from the game itself.
  16. Sep 17, 2013
    So, Lets get this out of the day. Papers Please is worth picking up if you want to broaden your horizons, because it is certainly different. Working as a fictional immigration inspector is challenging, somewhat educational and... boring. Yes, just like you would expect, sitting in a booth, looking trough documents and passports trying to find discrepancies becomes dull really fast. But inSo, Lets get this out of the day. Papers Please is worth picking up if you want to broaden your horizons, because it is certainly different. Working as a fictional immigration inspector is challenging, somewhat educational and... boring. Yes, just like you would expect, sitting in a booth, looking trough documents and passports trying to find discrepancies becomes dull really fast. But in a way, having a blast wouldn't fit the games story, nor the artstyle which gloomy portraying fits perfectly. While you need the first couple of playthroughs just to get the hang of everything, you quickly understand that, sadly the story repeats itself with specific events during each working day. This is kind of a letdown since a more Rougelike experience definitely would have benefited Papers Please replay value. As it stands, Papers Please is a refreshing, well-tuned experience with fitting graphics and nostalgic drag and drop controls. The games true strength lies in the concept but it's sadly also its big weakness. Expand
  17. Jan 4, 2016
    The game has a great and novel concept and I must say I enjoyed the setting (working as a border control official in a totalitarian country) a lot. The presentation is great, the music is also very much fun. Still the game lacks in actual gameplay. It is just about matching overwhelmingly large quantities of data, and this is very tiring and leaves you just exhausted and with a headacheThe game has a great and novel concept and I must say I enjoyed the setting (working as a border control official in a totalitarian country) a lot. The presentation is great, the music is also very much fun. Still the game lacks in actual gameplay. It is just about matching overwhelmingly large quantities of data, and this is very tiring and leaves you just exhausted and with a headache rather than provides a fun experience.

Surely, the author tried hard to keep the small portions of fun coming in: here you get a spy, here a corrupt official, here a funny old man who happens to be a terrorist. All these small random events kept me engaged for a while. Still, all in all the game is dull and too difficult (and difficult in bad way, meaning that it strains your attention and patience instead of your intelligence). I was stressed to get all those people's documents checked and had almost no time to read those funny conversations.

The author's goal was to show how bad the USSR was, and he did it in his own way. While playing this game I kept having this "oppressed" feeling even though I somewhat enjoyed denying entry to people (at first). For fairness sake, I must note (and no one seems to mention this in reviews) that his portrayal of a bureaucrat's life in the USSR is inaccurate to a point where I wonder if this game is a parody of exactly the USSR or just totalitarianism in general or whatever. If you didn't know this, bureaucrats in the USSR were the privileged class. And they were paid a fixed amount which never depended on their performance on their jobs - exactly that made them so inefficient. So, if this game would have to stay realistic, you as the main character would earn your $100 per day even if you'd not process a single person in the waiting line. Let the little people wait, who cares :) Hell, you could just go "to have some coffee" in the beginning of the day, and then come back after lunch or something, or only process people who offer you bribes if they want to get across the border so much. And if someone complains and an inspector from above comes to check up on you, you just share your bribes and so on. In a sense, a bureaucrat is invincible in such corrupt systems, and the game could show that. Then it would be those little people waiting in the line where you'd see the real suffering, while you'd enjoy and exploit the system in your comfortable chair. This would make a completely different game, something closer to Tropico maybe, where the smiles and jokes hide the ugliness of a corrupt society.

As it is, the game attempts to criticize Russia but ends up being an inaccurate, thought-up presentation of something some people in the West probably want to see in history, but which didn't exist. Or is the author showing the idea of bureaucracy and totalitarianism in general? Can a western bureaucrat recognize himself in the main character, even though Arstotska sounds like a Russian word to a western player? (actually, to me as a Russian it sounds more like Czech or Polish). Anyway, a 6/10 for this novel experiment of a game which sadly fails to be entertaining after 1-2 hours.
  18. Nov 6, 2013
    Ok, I am gonna be 100% honest with this. I tried the game and at first hated it but I then gave it another try. It's not amazing and probably didn't take much work to make but the gameplay of the game is good and sometimes quite hard to master. Not the best game ever, but for people who don't get bored of the same thing over and over or bad graphics, it's a good game and also addicting atOk, I am gonna be 100% honest with this. I tried the game and at first hated it but I then gave it another try. It's not amazing and probably didn't take much work to make but the gameplay of the game is good and sometimes quite hard to master. Not the best game ever, but for people who don't get bored of the same thing over and over or bad graphics, it's a good game and also addicting at some points. Expand
  19. Jan 5, 2014
    A very unique game which after a little while can become repetitive offers some very fun times and a bunch of lifes and insight a long the way. Well worth trying at a good price.
  20. Jan 2, 2014
    Towards the end of the game the gameplay actually starts to feel like monotonous work. I found it annoying but then I realized the game perfectly captured being a desk jockey and I appreciated it for making me annoyed just as you'd appreciate a scary movie for scaring you. The game is about 5 hours long and I probably would not play it again but I did enjoy the experience of playing it theTowards the end of the game the gameplay actually starts to feel like monotonous work. I found it annoying but then I realized the game perfectly captured being a desk jockey and I appreciated it for making me annoyed just as you'd appreciate a scary movie for scaring you. The game is about 5 hours long and I probably would not play it again but I did enjoy the experience of playing it the first time. Expand
  21. Sep 13, 2013
    The idea behind this game is brilliant, but the execution isn't perfect. The game tried getting to my feelings multiple times, but usually didn't manage to do so. I managed to keep my family well fed and healthy while still being a pretty decent person. Your actions don't have THAT much effect on the rest of the game, at least not only until the very end of the game. In most cases yourThe idea behind this game is brilliant, but the execution isn't perfect. The game tried getting to my feelings multiple times, but usually didn't manage to do so. I managed to keep my family well fed and healthy while still being a pretty decent person. Your actions don't have THAT much effect on the rest of the game, at least not only until the very end of the game. In most cases your actions only change tomorrow's newspaper titles. And yet, I did manage to enjoy the game and I found it rather addictive, and while the game isn't as amazing as I heard it is, it's still quite spectacular and very refreshing. Expand
  22. Sep 14, 2013
    "Papers, Please" is an interesting experience to be sure. It takes a simple concept and walks more than a mile with it, but it's definitely not for everyone. I enjoyed it for what it was, but that's because I tried it in the free BETA. I probably wouldn't throw in a TON of money for this game, but it's still worth checking out...especially if it goes on sale.
  23. Sep 16, 2013
    I think it's a very impressive game and quite interesting though it has obvious limitations on re-playability. The atmosphere is simply astounding, the tense and dark feel is quite unique and unusual in modern games. After several games it becomes too familiar and for some boring and that's definitely an unyielding problem, but nonetheless a wonderful game.
  24. Oct 18, 2013
    A good game with a great atmosphere, but it just gets a little boring after a while. I played it for about an hour really excited and I haven't played it since. It is still a great game and I would definitely recommend it.
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    Papers, Please is certainly a good game, but I would not say it was a great one. In my opinion, the concept and environmental design can only take a game so far. All of this is great, but the gameplay does not hook me. I can't play it in much more than 20 minute bursts every few days without getting bored or frustrated. It may be great for others, but its just pretty good for me!
  26. Nov 17, 2013
    Let me start by saying this is not a game for everyone. If you don't actually remember the Cold War era, it's best you move along. But those who can look past the flaws of its sadly repetitive scripted plot elements and into the soul of the game will find a curious mix of light-hearted humor, compassion and desperation. You hold the power to tear families apart by following the rules, orLet me start by saying this is not a game for everyone. If you don't actually remember the Cold War era, it's best you move along. But those who can look past the flaws of its sadly repetitive scripted plot elements and into the soul of the game will find a curious mix of light-hearted humor, compassion and desperation. You hold the power to tear families apart by following the rules, or conversely to do good things in spite of them. Yes, the difficulty ramps up fast. But old games of the era this game pays were brutal in their learning curves. This is not a game to be beaten easily; it demands attention, organization, prioritizing. You +will+ make mistakes. Learn, take a deep breath, carry on.

Is it a 10/10 game? No. With more randomized events and a little interface streamlining, it would (in my opinion at least) add to the replay value of what is otherwise quite a heavily scripted plot; but as it stands now it's not a game you'll play for years to come. Perhaps that's beside the point; some games are made to tell a story, not to be played a million times.

TL;DR version:
    Is it worth $10? I thought so.
    If you were alive around 1982, add another 2 points.
  27. Nov 19, 2013
    I want to start off and say I struggled with this game. I played it for about 50 minutes then figured out what to do. It's really fun for the hour or so. But it gets repetitive. If you like tedious things get it. 5/10
  28. Feb 22, 2014
    Ah, Papers Please. What we can say about this little gem? We can say that its just one of my favorite games of all-time (under Half-Life 2). Its a game that DOES NOT get boring after a while. Once you start playing, you'll never stop. This game has 20 finales that will reveal with what you are doing in the game.

Music: 8. The soundtrack has just three songs: the main menu, the good

Music: 8. The soundtrack has just three songs: the main menu, the good endings and the bad endings.
    Graphics: 4. This game has 8 bit graphics, but we dont care.
    Jugability: 7. In this game the only thing you do is approving or denying the entry to Arstotzka,
    FINAL NOTE: 6,3
  29. Apr 7, 2016
    This is a "find the intruder" game that manages to entertain the player beyond its base mechanic. The remarkable achievement lies in the fact that the morality and message is contained within the mechanic of the game itself and this is a seldom seen virtue in games. The message is not only valuable but highly depending one each player, which makes the concept that much more commendable.This is a "find the intruder" game that manages to entertain the player beyond its base mechanic. The remarkable achievement lies in the fact that the morality and message is contained within the mechanic of the game itself and this is a seldom seen virtue in games. The message is not only valuable but highly depending one each player, which makes the concept that much more commendable. The presentation while being rudimentary, is remarkably effective in conveying a sense of place and time. This game at its core is a blueprint for how games should conceive themselves. Expand
  30. Mar 28, 2017
    Gaming is TERRIBLY flawed from a logical stand point. After a certain point in the game, the vast majority of people will all not have proper documentation and it just really removes me from the games immersion.

Encounters are extremely repetitive and dull. The game is clearly meant for the IOS and its just grindy and boring. 6/10 do not recommend, its a flawed boring dull game

Encounters are extremely repetitive and dull.

The game is clearly meant for the IOS and its just grindy and boring.

6/10 do not recommend, its a flawed boring dull game that has tons of logical errors when it comes to customs / border patrol / immigration.
  31. Jan 3, 2018
    Keyif = 8
    Atmosfer = 8
    Süre = 8
  32. Jul 1, 2019
    Unique, funny and challenging, but I hate paperwork, especially when they don't pay well.
  33. Dec 5, 2019
    It's fun for a little while but does get old. The idea is cool and it's a good gameplay mechanic, the story is done well. My major gripe with the game is that it's a race against the clock type game and you get paid per person which not only totally goes against the spirit of the game, but it doesn't help the game experience, and it doesn't even make sense. First of all, the dev shouldIt's fun for a little while but does get old. The idea is cool and it's a good gameplay mechanic, the story is done well. My major gripe with the game is that it's a race against the clock type game and you get paid per person which not only totally goes against the spirit of the game, but it doesn't help the game experience, and it doesn't even make sense. First of all, the dev should understand the mindframe one is in when they wanna play a game like this. I want to have a chill time at my desk and take my time reviewing the passports. I don't wanna rush through and get paid per passport I approve. Anyway that's not at all how it works in real life, no one is paid per passport. They are paid a salary and don't really care how slow they are being or how much they inconvenience those waiting in line. I feel like that is not only more realistic it would go a long way to improving the game in tone and the general feel of being an immigration agent in a bureaucracy. Oh well. It's unique, indie, fresh, and fun for a couple hours. I won't let one major complaint let me rate this negatively because it's still worth getting. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 40 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Papers, Please gives you a simple task that doesn't ask a lot of you. The game outgrows its mechanics though, by appealing to your moral compass and emotions. This indie game will get under your skin, will have you feeling uncomfortable and have you think about yourself, as a person.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    An incredibly impressive little game, from its understated old-school art style to its ability to make you feel uncomfortable with how much you enjoy catching criminals trying to trick their way into your country.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Papers, Please is not only original but fun, too. More papers, please! [Sept 2013]