8.5

1. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At firstOne of the best games of recent years. It has become one of my favorite and most memorable games of all time right beside games like Baldur's Gate 2 and the Half Life series. It is an extremely bleak and depressing game that really makes you appreciate everything. The sound is great and I will never forget the sound of the horn. The gameplay is very simple but detail oriented. At first glance it seems quite boring but the stakes are so high that you try to counterbalance speed and thoroughness in order to make it to the next day. It is one of the few games I have ever played that I would consider a masterpiece and possibly even art. It is enthralling and it sucks you in in a way that no other game really does. If you want a unique experience give it a shot and see if it grabs you because it is unlike everything else on the market now or that I can remember. Expand
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    This is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being ableThis is an AMAZING game. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I thought it'd get boring after a while, turns out, it doesn't. So many things are added that keep it fun and exciting, and some of the smaller things are great too. This game really brings me to think about morals, when do you break the guidelines? What do you risk, letting someone with a weapon through, and being able to feed your family from a bribe, or do you be a good guy by the book and detain him? This is an amazing game, and I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I do. Expand
  3. Aug 10, 2013
    Yes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing andYes, it could be considered repetitive and monotonous, but the goal of this game is not to be action packed. Rather it is to make you think. Finding discrepancies is surprisingly engaging at points, and while trying to keep all the specific papers, stamps and whatnot organized and in your head can be difficult and occasionally overwhelming, it proves to be a surprisingly engrossing and sometimes even addictive. Along with a unique art style, amusing dialogue. and a surprisingly catchy theme song (not quite sure why,) Papers, Please is a pleasant surprise and well worth ten dollars and some free time. Expand
  4. Sep 13, 2013
    All the fun of a soviet-era bureaucrat!

I do miss the beta [Image perfectly depicting the text below] messages, but sadly that went and what we got was a novel, and very fantastic game.
  5. Sep 2, 2013
    I joined the resistance. But not because I wanted to, I HAD to. It was the only way I could feed and buy medicine for my family who were sick. I was desperate.
    Papers please is one of the most immersive gaming experiences you will ever have.
  6. Aug 28, 2013
    Wow, what an original game. It has been well described by others so I will just say it may not be a game I play for 40 hours but it IS a game I will tell all my friends about and I will remember some of the things that happened in it long after generic shooter #213 and generic RP #695 are both long forgotten. So totally worth the ten bucks.
  7. Aug 11, 2013
    I don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on theI don't normally play indie games, but Papers, Please is one of those rare titles that everyone should at least try. Set in the fictional communist country of Arstotzka, you take the role of an immigration inspector at a border checkpoint. You must look over documents and use various tools in order to keep spies, smugglers and other unwanted bad people out of the country all while on the clock. On top of this you have to make enough money to support your family and survive yourself.

Will you follow the rules or turn to taking bribes to make ends meet? It may sound easy and perhaps even boring, but trust me that once you dive in it is really exciting. Glory to Arstotzka!
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    Simply amazing, I had to make a metacritic account just to say that I absolutely love this game. Not giving a perfect 10 just because it can get a bit repetitive and frustrating after many hours, but a part from that I can't find any other flaws.
    The atmosphere and the various storylines are extremely captivating, a truly unique experience, if you like videogames at all you should definetly try out this one.
  9. Sep 1, 2013
    This is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned forThis is a class game. Dont be fooled by the graphics. They actually add something to the 1982 communist theme. This is a game full of substance and very very addictive for a reason that somehow eludes me. Perhaps it is the power of state on the peasants whilst making a lil on the side. Saying that most of my family died the first time after playing and then I was imprisoned for backhanders. Great game. On top of that, it costs about £5. Winning. Expand
  10. Sep 4, 2013
    It took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing theIt took two sentences about the concept and about 5 seconds to sink in before I said, "TAKE MY MONEY". It has completely lived up to my expectations. It manages to set a wonderful atmosphere with surprisingly little. It's elegantly designed, plays well, and makes me want to keep coming back for more. It has a story mode with 20 endings and an "endless" mode. I've found that doing the right thing in the story mode doesn't always get you a good outcome, and it's left me laughing more than once. I've also found myself moving too fast and swearing when I get written up for missing one of the many details that can be wrong, but if you don't move fast enough, you won't make enough money to take care of your family. It's a great combination of both the need for speed and the need for accuracy that makes it work. It's my favorite game of the year so far and I've even been to PAX and seen all sorts of new games! Expand
  11. Sep 13, 2013
    Actually the most fun I've had from any game for a long while now. The graphics are a great nod to the past, the music fits perfectly, and best of all it's a right challenge. Easily recommended by this fantastically great chap.
  12. Oct 15, 2013
    "Gameplay over graphics". I can't stress how important this quote is. Especially in this game. I'll admit, when I first saw this game, I though "Whaa...?" I mean, lets be honest. A game where all you do is approve or deny people to go through a fictional city named Arstotzka seemed creative but a bit boring. But I risked it and bought it. And I was taken by surprise how invigorating it"Gameplay over graphics". I can't stress how important this quote is. Especially in this game. I'll admit, when I first saw this game, I though "Whaa...?" I mean, lets be honest. A game where all you do is approve or deny people to go through a fictional city named Arstotzka seemed creative but a bit boring. But I risked it and bought it. And I was taken by surprise how invigorating it was! There's a unique storyline you follow through you can do tasks for the mysterious force of EZIC, or continue giving glory to Arstotzka. I admit, this game eventually gets boring and is not something you will spend 800 hours playing. But it's a concept that surprisingly bodes well with retro graphics and will keep you refreshed for a while, but again, the longevity of the game and the re-playability is a problem that is needed to be solved, even with the endless mode you can play after having fun with the storyline. Expand
  13. Oct 17, 2013
    I didn't expect much from a game with the concept of marking passports. But this offers unique story, CHARACTERS (Yes, a passport game with CHARACTERS. Amazing!), and gives you choices that affect the game.

Whats not to love? Characters bribing you and illegal yet emotionally effecting or those who pay you higher than your actual paycheck will bring challenge into the game. It may be called "retro", but its old-school and something you can always go back to. Even though it does get repetitive, boredom is at a respected minimum thanks to the story. A strong, good story, which blew me away. The realism doesn't get ridiculous and just gets challenging and more and more lovable. Entry or deny; you feel like making a huge decision with just stamping one passport late into the game, with a great ending(s), depending on what YOU chose to do. It gives you so much choice and power. For the cheap price and upcoming fun for new players, go and buy it. You won't regret.
  14. Dec 1, 2013
    This is an important game and worthy of your attention. This is the kind of game that advances the medium of video games and lends credence to the argument that not only are video games art, but that they can explore facets of the human experience that we otherwise would not be able to.

You play as an immigration/border control officer, and it's your responsibility to allow or deny people into your country. If someone gets into the country with false info, or if you turn away a valid candidate for entry, you get fined. Money is tight, you are the only person supporting your immediate and extended family. But as the documents start piling up, the stories get sadder and sadder, the bribes/espionage/underhanded deals become more and more complex, what will you do?

This game forces you to reflect on what kind of person you are, and how you view people around you. Do you worry only about yourself and your family? What about the wife who couldn't get a passport and will be killed if she's turned away? There are no easy choices, but you must make them.

10/10 and this game deserves to be in a museum as well.
  15. Sep 28, 2013
    It's kind of surprising how fun this game is, considering the overwhelming feel of misery and oppression the game has. Papers, Please is a game where you play as a border inspector, checking over paperwork, looking for inconsistencies, and making choices that impact many lives, including those of your family.

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people

The gameplay can get intense at times as you hurry to process as many people correctly as possible. Papers, Please had me hooked very quickly, and never let go. I'm planning to continue playing even though I've beaten the story twice, just to get all the endings and maybe try out endless mode. There's not much music, but what's there is great and fits the game incredbily well. The graphics are beautiful. Arstotska is mostly devoid of color, and this game looks as it should. The game controls almost entirely with the mouse, allowing keyboard shortcuts if you have the money to buy them and increase your efficiency.

I picked up Papers, Please at full price, and it was absolutely worth it. This is one of the best indie games I've played, and I think it's absolutely worth $10. I'd recommend it to just about anyone.

Note: the game has a little non-sexual nudity that can be disabled in the options.
  16. Aug 12, 2013
    An overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid ofAn overall accurately reviewed game. Definitely worth 10$ and worth your time. However it's not for everyone. A niche title through and through that's only fun on play on try number 2 and up. First time is a bombardment of exponentially growing criteria and discrepancies that simply boggle the mind, clutter the desk and get your mother in law killed. Not for those who are afraid of games like Dark Souls where death and failure are constant teachers. It's a fresh, fun, innovative, and unique game that will challenge the memory and patience of those with the mind for it. Bravo for making a fantastic game out of a mostly mundane job! Expand
  17. Sep 23, 2013
    This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

This is a perfect example of what all indie developers should strive for.

You play a citizen of Arstotzka, which exists in the game's fictitious world (though with very obvious links to our real world), and you have been chosen as the border inspector of your area. Your job is to ensure that all authorized persons get in and all unauthorized persons don't. At least, as far as the Ministry of Labor is concerned.

You can't neglect your personal life, however. You still have a family to take care of. And since you get paid by the person rather than by the hour, you must either work quickly and accurately, or you'll lose everything.

Over your new career, you can expect to meet lots of interesting people. Some have lost their passport. Some are looking for other people. Some are criminals. And you're the one who casts the final word on whether they enter your country or not.

This is the only game I've played in which a LACK of quality-of-life features actually works TOWARDS the overall feel of the game. It puts an astounding amount of effort to emulate the job of border inspector, down to every motion. Papers have to be clicked and dragged to open and read them, and stamps have to be applied, and then papers have to be handed back to the entrant. A similar game could have just had you click on one of two buttons labeled "Approve" and "Deny" to automate the process, but I feel that NOT doing that helped the overall feel.

Always remember: Glory to Arstotzka.
  18. Oct 5, 2013
    This is great game! Congrats to developer who focuses on gameplay more than Graphics!This game is like serving your food to customers. Its great game!Worth the buy! But, when you progress, new features you get confused and dont exactly know what to do. Overall, worth the game to buy.
  19. Dec 29, 2014
    Forget the bad reviewers. This game is AWESOME, perfect in every single piece of it.

Story 10/10 (with multiple endings)
    Graphics 10/10 (retro at '80 decade storyline)
    Sounds 10/10
    Music 10/10
    Challenge 10/10
    Originality 10/10
    'Addictionality' 10/10
    Entertainment 10/10
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    At first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have yourAt first this game disturbed me because it was exactly like a job I had working in a call center for car insurance. Get name, match ID, match permit, make sure someone isn't trying to pawn off fake or expired information, which happens all the time, (all while attempting to do it as quickly as possible so you don't get in trouble for taking too long) and then do your best only to have your boss come down on you and be like "his permit was expired, did you even look?!"

But then this game becomes more complex. You're stuck at a job, not even making enough money to keep your family warm and fed, when someone offers you a bribe to let them in. Should you do the right thing and detain them? Or should you take the money to buy the medicine that your son so desperately needs?

I was shocked when I had to scan one of the immigrants so see if they were hiding any contraband and a fuzzy, dark, nude picture of them appears on my desk. The picture was so invasive, it reminded me instantly of a country where the people have no rights.

It's a surprisingly emotional game, with complex moral decisions.
  21. Aug 26, 2013
    This is one of those unique games that, unless you are simply focused on the task at hand, carries with it profound questions about the nature of mankind and how we build societies.
  22. Aug 14, 2013
    Strangely addicting! Your must complete your job with diligence and speed! You are paid for each person successfully processed through your check point. Glory to Arstotzka!
  23. Aug 10, 2013
    I was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more wasI was surprised at how interested I would be in this game, I was skeptical at first because playing an immigration inspector sounds incredibly boring, I only expected to get 30 min out of it. (For only 10 dollars it was worth a try.) But once I started playing, the ability to decide who passed through, deciding the fate of not only other people but yourself. As you progressed more was added to keep you playing, and if you lost, you didn't have to start all over again. It has excellent replay value as one can try to unlock all the different endings.

Glory To Arstotzka!
  24. Aug 12, 2013
    You wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a perYou wouldn't think that a game with such a simple idea could be so good and so deep. Once you start playing though it actually has a way of pulling you in to the story and the consequences for you decisions. The game starts off easy enough, don't let this fool you though, as the game progresses there is a lot to take into consideration before letting someone though. You are paid on a per person basis and this forces you to try and balance getting the people through as fast as you can while trying to not let anything bad slip though. The game is semi-forgiving and you are allowed two mess ups a day, this sounds like plenty but you'd be surprised how many things will slip right past you. Right now you can get it on Steam for only $9.99 and for all the fun that the game provides that is a very low price. Expand
  25. Aug 12, 2013
    I started this game thinking it would get boring rather easily, but I was extremely wrong. All the mechanics are fantastic and fun. Everything is greatly tied into one big package and the story is just extremely fun to go through. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  26. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is by no means absolutely perfect, but when a game is capable of making a mundane and seemingly bothersome task fun, I want to make babies with it.

Seriously guys, how do you make babies with a game.
    I would like to know.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  27. Sep 5, 2013
    What a creative and amazing game !
    I didn't expect to be this satisfied with it. The game play itself has a lot of details that makes it more interesting. The token idea, making every decision you take, whether agreeing with the law or going with your judgement counts !
    Too bad the "campaign" is short.
    Congratulations on delivering such a fun game. Still replaying
  28. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This here has to be one of the greatest indie games I have come across in my life.

I love how in this game tells us about the communist country we have to 'Glorify' and support it by working as the border control. We have to investigate the people who attempt to pass into our country, catch criminals on the run, secretly work with the revolutionary group, and collect income to provide for our own family. The best part is, we have to do all of this at a simply desk job!

What I love best is have the game mechanics tells us that it is hard to do the kind things for people, as it would put you and your family at risk. I remember this one moment (P.S. SPOILER AHEAD!) when I allowed a man in, but he asked if I could allow his wife in as well, who did not have the right paperwork to enter. She begged me to let her in, otherwise she would be killed when she returns to her own country. But if I were to allow her in, I would not be my income rate to pay for rent, food and heat so that my family would survive. The game pressured me to do my job correctly or I would fail.

In conclusion, this thrilling documentary game has given me a lot to think about when it comes to moral choices, as I think it really can bring out the true sides of your character without telling me if I did the right thing. This game is a real masterpiece and I think everyone should pick it up!
  29. Sep 16, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to work puncher passports? Think it is very boring and not interesting job? In principle, yes but if you still want to try what it's like to manage other people's lives as if God is to count the thousands of documents in search of the slightest error? Believe me it's very interesting!
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed
    We proved this man with the nickname 3909! It is so accurate puncher displayed the work that creates a feeling as if he had it worked! Stunning meticulousness. Imagine this exciting picture: You're looking at documents of another immigrants, try to do it quickly, because at home you will find a sick son of a terrible disease, and the more documents you check the more money you earn, but only because of the fact that the person whom you do not have the right to put (a flaw in the documents) begs you to let him offer more money, but maybe you will calculate and take away jobs because of taking bribes, but need money for treatment! And here you are torn. That in such moments you realize what's special about this very unusual game. An unforgettable story of a nameless puncher
  30. Nov 16, 2013
    Masterpiece.

Lucas Pope is a genius. The perfect match between simulation and graphic adventure. A game made by a one-person team succeeds where many AAA blockbusters fail (Heavy Rain, for example). Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of
    Masterpiece.

Ok, maybe it's not for everyone. It requires little patience and gets harder and harder. But still is not hardcore gaming. It's art, in the form of a video-game. It make you feel lots of stuff, not very seen in any other title. Emotions like self-shame, or guilt.

You will like this game if you are:

-a big fan of old school graphic adventures, but sick of almost every new title that just repeats the same formula.
    -a casual gamer who enjoys repetitive game play with great difficult curve
    -reader of classic science fiction novels like 1984
    -a citizen in a post-USSR dictatorship
    -an art lover, a humanist, who wants to know of new and exciting ways to express anger against governments with humour

Just one advice: Bigger impact if you know nothing about the game. So, do not read too many reviews!

Game Play and Mechanics: Challenging and entertaining.
    Plot: Not only good but perfectly integrated in game experience too.
    Graphics: Perfect. Couldn't serve better its purpose.
    Sound: Good. Just one song, lots of silence. Cheesy sound fx. Like graphics, it is what it has to be.
    Fun: Tones. And many other emotions too.
  31. Nov 28, 2013
    The first thing that you have to say about the game is that it is the exact opposite of adrenaline-filled action games. That doesn't mean that it doesn't fill you up with adrenaline each time you have to deny a husband entry along with his wife or choose whether a man is a terrorist or genuinely wishes to immigrate.
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective
    The design in this game is genial, to say the least. While the objective in the entire game remains the same whether to allow or deny someone to pass the checkpoint, each level there is a new feature that keeps you on your guard. The graphics are humble, but in some way it actually helps portray the grim atmosphere that a border guard in a Communist country feels. The story, while there isn't that much of it up front, is still presented in pieces and is well thought. But the most amazing feature in this game is that it actually makes you think, what are you willing to do to survive? Are you willing to deny access to an innocent individual so that your family can get heating for the winter?
    Overall, this game deserves all the praise it receives. Truly an innovative, moving marvel.
  32. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's something so amazing about this game that is so hard to explain. Papers, Please is an interesting game, unlike everything you have saw before. This game has you dealing with choices which can affect someone's life to either become better or worse, example, there's a guy escaping from his country with his wife, his passport has no problems, however his wife's passport has, so now you have to choose either if you will to let her pass or not. The game is pretty difficult, requiring full attetion of the player into the game. The game starts simple and gets harder, but not into unfair hard, but fair hard, because if you do something wrong it is your fault not the game's fault. Overall this game gets a 9/10 to me, while the game is good, it is not something that everyone will like about it. Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game tests not only your eye for detail, but your morals. With the EZIC group conspiring against the government, you must decide whether or not you will help them and many other people in the game. Is their life worth your job? Expand
  34. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really a Great Game... The old graphics make you doubt at first, but then you realize graphics are just suited to the game. This game is about to the get the job done, well done, and in time in order to keep playing. If you ever had a job that requires checking documents in order to approve something, this will be quite familiar. Expand
  35. Jan 27, 2016
    Papers, Please

Game-play: The game-play is great it really test your skills in puzzle games with a ton of different things you have to pay attention. Story: The story is simple but good and you can change it how ever you want according to your decisions I can not tell how much time it will take you because if you are a good player it could take many any many hours if not it could end
    Papers, Please

Story: The story is simple but good and you can change it how ever you want according to your decisions I can not tell how much time it will take you because if you are a good player it could take many any many hours if not it could end in 1 or 2 hours but that is a reason to try to be better.

Graphics: The graphics blend in perfect with the game.

Notes: You should buy this game even if you are not very big fun of puzzle games you will love it as I did this game is just great.
  36. Oct 27, 2014
    Another example that content is king. If you have that, you don't need a huge budget to write a very good game. Very nice surprise for the price. Great mood.
  37. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leavesThis game is either for you or not. But when it's for you, jeez! It's quite addictive, and superbly dark in parts, considering you may have to make the choice over Heat and Food to keep alive, or Medicine for your sick son. The stories of the immigrants may even compel you to break the rules and admit them, even if it costs you food for the evening. A beautifully crafted game, that leaves you questioning yourself, and your morals. Completely differing to all other games on the market, Papers, Please stands alone, and tall as one of the best games of this year.

My one issue is the space you are given, which really runs out as the difficulty (and therefore necessary documents) increases.
  38. Aug 9, 2013
    It's a pretty brilliant, simple yet detailed game which is more engaging than it looks to have any right to be....on paper.

Papers, Please cause no trouble.
    [APPROVED]
  39. Aug 11, 2013
    This game is brilliant. It starts as something completely mundane, boring office work, but very quickly turns into something so intense and suspenseful and thrilling! I was mind-blown by the elegant design. It's so simple, yet has so much depth. Definitely buy it!
  40. Aug 12, 2013
    This is one of 'those' games. Where the concept is something you've probably never seen before and you'd think it's a boring idea.

But when you get round to playing it, it ends up being a challenging, fun experience which also helps bring across a dark dystopian narrative about Arstotzka and the Grestin Border.

Absolutely brilliant.
  41. Aug 10, 2013
    Unique and creative game proving that good game-play, addiction and fun don't necessarily come from stunning graphics and such. Played for 2 hours and only saw one of the 20 endings. Great replay value topped by a lot of potential for DLCs, Steam Workshop and upgrades. Bravo!
  42. Aug 9, 2013
    Remember those movies where there's a scene with an immigration officer saying "can't get in without a ticket?" Well now you can play as that guy, and do things differently in my case.

This is a game where you play as an immigration officer, determining the outcome of immigrants coming in to this bad bad country that you work with. Its soooo much better than it sounds. You check inconsistencies in people's passport. Eg: if a passport has a wrong country of issue, whether a person is male or female based on a misinformation (which leads to some hillarity when you found out that a person that looks like a woman turns out to be a guy), and bust some drug smugglers. The further you get to the game, the more it becomes interesting. You can get access to a gun because of a terrorist attack, or defuse a bomb. Also there are moments where some people doesn't have a valid document, but they are begging you to let them in. So in some of these cases its up to you if you want to be a dick or have a heart and let them in. Its a nice little touch that keeps me playing the game, for 3 hours straight i might add, and there's 20 different endings, which demands a lot of replayability.

One complaint that I have with the game is that sometimes checking for inconsistencies can be annoying, especially during the later missions where immigrants needs a passport, permit, a personal height and weight information, so you have to have a high attention to detail because one simple mistake can cost you. A couple of times I got penalized just because the person's gender is wrong, or his height and weight is wrong, right after I checked if his country of issue, his work permit, passport expiry date and reasons of entering the country is right. But once you get experienced enough to detect those tiny flaws, the game becomes so much fun.

One of the most interesting game I have ever played in my life, and certainly one of the best games in 2013. I would give this game a rating of so awesome I will play this again and again. Now then, I'll go back to stamping people's passports
  43. Aug 13, 2013
    An indie game that will capture your heart. If you have even the faintest understanding of history, humanity and politics, get the game and enjoy it.
  44. Aug 20, 2013
    One of the best games I ever played. Amazing concept, story and art direction! This game actually makes a work that may be seems as boring something incredibly fun.
  45. Sep 25, 2013
    For such a stupid concept, the author (yes, one guy) did a ridiculously good job. A small slipup and this game could have EASILY become repetitive, but he polished it so well (a bit of unique dialog here, a side-goal there) that it never actually feels that way. This is exactly what I game should be. I don't think this game could really be improved upon at all.
  46. Aug 15, 2013
    I played the game since Beta and I didn't expected to be such a great game

Multiple endings? Check
    Great storyline? Check
    Tokens aka collector's badges? Check
    Increasing difficulty? Check
    Great 8-bit graphics? Check

Game has very high repeat value and you can play again and again with different decisions and everything. Now go buy the game!
  47. Aug 11, 2013
    This game has a few things that can either be called flaws, or another factor for why this game is a 10/10.
    Pros
    First. This IS a puzzle game. Now you might go "Darn, I heard it was good. Nevermind." Or "YES." If you said the former I feel bad for you. Second. The story... That's all there is to say. Third. Interface is pretty cool. Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Pros
    Second. The story... That's all there is to say.
    Third. Interface is pretty cool.
    Fourth. THE SOUNDTRACK. OH MY GOD THAT MAIN THEME.
    Final. The feel around this game. It's not a very funny game. It's either viewed as dark and/or dramatic.
    Con(?)
    It gets exponentially harder each day.
    But hopefully you don't shy away from a challenge. ;P

Conclusion...
    One of the best games of the year.
  48. Aug 10, 2013
    Glory to Arstotzka! Unique gameplay elements, totally immersive, great if you need some distraction from real life and all of these are in a $10 indie game! Just buy it, you won't regret it.

And I know this is my first review and I'm giving away a 10 but I assure you I'm not the dev himself or paid by the dev to write this. Just loved the game and the dev needs every tiny bit of support he can get.
  49. Sep 15, 2013
    Papers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for thePapers, Please is an original title that really shows you the meaning of 'indecisive'. The concept at first may sound quite boring, but once you get into it, you can't turn back. The immersion is amazing, no matter how pixelated the game is, and really gets to your empathetic side once the big decisions come in. You basically choose whether to be the good border officer, that falls for the sad stories or the bad border officer, that strictly follows the rules. But at the end of the day, you just need to keep your family alive and get through the struggle of being an Arstotzkan citizen. Well done Lucas Pope, well done.

Glory to Arstotzka.
  50. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

The game puts you on the skin of an Immigration Inspector and you have to go through the daily routine of analyzing the documents of people trying to cross the border. Your salary is based on your performance, the more people you let in more you earn but if you let illegal people through you are punished. As if
    This game is so unique that it's hard to even fit it on a specific genre.

As if this weren't pressure enough you have to manage your money and make sure you have enough to pay the rent, buy food and medicine to your family and keep them warm through the winter.

It's really amazing how emotionally connected you become after playing for just a few of minutes, the game oozes atmosphere and tension.

Do yourself a favor and try out the demo.
    Just google it, I dare you not to buy it after playing through the demo.
  51. Aug 9, 2013
    Such an awesome game! It has many features adding so game doesn't get boring. I really think it has hidden metaphor of the world. It's very simple, easy to control. It really deserves this rating!
  52. Aug 9, 2013
    Genius, challenging, gripping, and fun. Not only does this game make some worthwhile political statements, it also makes a perfect grim and dark atmosphere where you are always on edge and all of your actions have consiqunces. The game is also shockingly good and completely original. I cannot reccomend this game enough. Support this game!
  53. Aug 11, 2013
    i have beaten this game 4 times thus far and its amazing every time there are a lot of different endings. people complain over the desk being to crowded in the later days.. like i said i've beaten this game 4 times already and i have had NO problem with that.. they must be slobs in real life be organized and you'll do fine
  54. Sep 24, 2013
    The most addicting paperwork simulator I've ever played. And the creator somehow found a way to weave an interesting storyline into a game where the core gameplay is checking expiration dates on passports.
  55. Aug 16, 2013
    Surprisingly entertaining game, considering how simple it is. Gives some insight to a real-world passport control job. Graphics could be better, but it's not a big flaw in this case.
  56. Sep 18, 2013
    Papers, Please is a unique game that require your full attention.
    In this game you are chosen from a lottery to work at a border in Artstozka to keep your family healthy and well fed.
  57. Oct 14, 2013
    Papers, Please is a very peculiar game. I don't know what to say besides it finds a way to make tedious paperwork engaging and fun. The story and decisions are dark yet silly. For the price it is a very enjoyable game.
  58. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was aThis game is good, but it does have a few flaws. Having worked a similar situation in real life, the penalty/reward system seems a bit harsh. Denying entry based on suspicion is not typically frowned upon. Also, as mentioned in other reviews, checking height and weight is both difficult to do if you weren't brought up in the metric system and mechanically frustrating (I knew someone was a wrong weight but I couldn't call them out on it). That being said, this game is incredibly fun to play. 20 different endings is nice and all, but each day is scripted and rewards/punishments are always the same, making for about two legit replays for the intelligent player. Expand
  59. Aug 31, 2013
    Outstanding GAME! I've bought the game and it was worth it. The story is amazing whoever wrote it deserves a trophy! Overall: Good and maybe a bit longer I guess.
  60. Jun 23, 2014
    Incredibly good game, one of the more recent games that have actually been worth the money in terms of time invested and entertainment value. Unfortunately, i'm extremely bad at selling the concept of this game to my friends. Must make them play it.
  61. Dec 22, 2013
    An astonishing gaming experience, 'Papers, Please' delivers on its premise and then some, managing to be entertaining, addictive, thought-provoking and funny at the same time. True, it's not a game that will suit the impatient (the Michael Bay's of this world will be confused at the lack of mindless explosions and FPS style of gameplay) but for the rest of us it's a unique game that isAn astonishing gaming experience, 'Papers, Please' delivers on its premise and then some, managing to be entertaining, addictive, thought-provoking and funny at the same time. True, it's not a game that will suit the impatient (the Michael Bay's of this world will be confused at the lack of mindless explosions and FPS style of gameplay) but for the rest of us it's a unique game that is thoroughly worth the price of admission. Expand
  62. Aug 19, 2013
    This is a great game that deserves all the hype it's getting. You basically work at at the border for passport control and make sure the people who try to get in the country are legit. You check if they are carrying any weapons, you check if their passports are correct etc. It's a fun little game, but it can get extremely linear and boring after an hour of playing, which is why I rate it aThis is a great game that deserves all the hype it's getting. You basically work at at the border for passport control and make sure the people who try to get in the country are legit. You check if they are carrying any weapons, you check if their passports are correct etc. It's a fun little game, but it can get extremely linear and boring after an hour of playing, which is why I rate it a 8 out of 10. Expand
  63. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm was really surprised by this game. I'm not a fan of 8-bit graphics or the concept of sitting behind a desk and checking people's papers, but this game made it fun and interesting! There's also a decent amount of humour to keep things lively!

Whatever doubts you may have about this game, set them aside. There's a deep and meaningful story that takes time to show itself, but it's worth the journey, and all the hard work :P
  64. Aug 22, 2013
    Strangely absorbing game where you simulate work as a border control inspector during the communist era eastern bloc and have to work to feed your family. A great example of gameplay over graphics, must be played to be believed
  65. Aug 17, 2014
    Game is very addictive and background track is awesome. :) Don't jugde it just because it doesn't have so many Holywood effects or excellent graphics. It is 30 MB-game and so good. :) There is one thing to say 'Glory to Arstotzka!'
  66. Aug 10, 2013
    This is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the fullThis is a quirky but very fun game to be playing. I am surprised more games like this are not around, what the developer has done was made a game for one of the most likely of jobs and made it enjoyable and add the right sort of humour into the mix for effect. Played for hours and that was only the beta, brought it the minute that had finished and enjoying myself even more playing the full version. Well worth the money to support quality gaming like this. Expand
  67. Aug 19, 2014
    The idea of the whole game is excellent. Brilliant and addictive story. You have to make a decision almost all of the time. For sure, it won't be wasted time.
  68. Sep 28, 2013
    I have played hours and hours of this game, It makes you think, it makes you CARE about your family and really brings to life the world that you live in, it can at times feel like "work" but even as such it feels fun because you don't want to 'disappoint" your family when people start getting sick and you have to chose between giving people meds and giving them heat and food. the choicesI have played hours and hours of this game, It makes you think, it makes you CARE about your family and really brings to life the world that you live in, it can at times feel like "work" but even as such it feels fun because you don't want to 'disappoint" your family when people start getting sick and you have to chose between giving people meds and giving them heat and food. the choices become all too real, masterpiece! Expand
  69. Oct 18, 2013
    It's a nice little game that will keep you entertained for a few hours. Not only do you have to think about what you're doing, you also have to memorize, which is perfect for me because my memory isn't that good :P.
    Overall, it's not the BEST game I've played, but it's good enough for me to recommend to others.
  70. Jun 21, 2014
    Papers Please is a ingenious game that turns a mind-numbing, extremely tedious and seemingly dull concept into a challenging and atmospheric indie title. I was very skeptical about buying this but having picked it up in the Steam sale for £3.49; I feel like I've robbed the developer has it certainly warrants a full price purchase.

The game sees you working on the desk as a new

The game sees you working on the desk as a new immigration inspector at a border checkpoint for the fictitious country of Arstotzka. Your responsibility is to allow or deny people entry based on their passports. You make money at the end of each day to support your family and any mistakes you make affect your wage.

At first the game seems really simple as you stamp passports based on people's rights to entry whilst looking for any discrepancies on their documents e.g fake photo, expired passport, but the game gradually builds and new conditions for entrance eligibility change such as foreigners not allowed in. The criteria for entrance alters every day so you have to keep your wits about who you let in at that specific time. It really keeps you focused and you will make mistakes which affects your pay. Attention to detail and a speedy service adds to the strange addiction this game provides.

The retro backdrop and 80's Russian-inspired atmosphere really adds to the game as a novel and surprisingly enjoyable title. It's like a very addictive puzzle game that will keep you engrossed for hours at a time. A simple idea; superbly executed. Must-buy!
  71. Dec 6, 2013
    Sigh, the moral and economic dilemmas of an immigration inspector. Great concept, easy to pick up, and a surprisingly intriguing storyline unfolds. There's multiple endings too that add to replay value. I love it, and you probably will too.
  72. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is what you'd never expect. It's fun. Hell, you keep checking documents and passports all the time but it's still fun! It's deep, it's various, it's really engaging. It really gives you the idea of how was life in that times. I kept playing for much longer than I thought I would. The game has so many different endings it encourages you to keep playing even if you keep losing. TheThis game is what you'd never expect. It's fun. Hell, you keep checking documents and passports all the time but it's still fun! It's deep, it's various, it's really engaging. It really gives you the idea of how was life in that times. I kept playing for much longer than I thought I would. The game has so many different endings it encourages you to keep playing even if you keep losing. The saving system is simply great, you can restart from any time you want.

My few notes:
    - graphic: could have been a little better
    - sound: could have been more various

Anyway it is still a one-guy development. Respect.
  73. Jun 10, 2014
    El mejor juego del año, además te hace reflexionar sobre cómo una experiencia atractiva puede llegar a cubrir una mecánica de juego terriblemente tediosa, pero el reto y la historia hace que quieras jugar y jugar. Sin duda de las mejores compras que puedes hacer si te interesa la disonancia ludonarrativa.
  74. Aug 5, 2014
    I have nothing to say about this game besides that it is amazing and that it was designed amazingly. This game is about working at a border checkpoint and seeing who can go through and who can't based on their paperwork.
  75. Aug 14, 2014
    A great game in its genre: Simple as Great.
    The story line mixed to the fight between "legally" and "humanly" right, makes it highly immersive, but probably a bit TOO hard, it will become a rage game at stages.
    Worth its cost.
  76. Aug 24, 2014
    Very nice. I didn't expect to like it this much. The correct word is 'addictive'. Once i started, i could not stop. Also, I thought it was only a practical game, but there is a plot behind, moments of fear, of surprise and many other details, everything happening at your desk. 20 possible endings, I have seen about the half of it in 10 hours gameplay (about 350 people checked). 85/100
  77. Jan 24, 2015
    Paper's please is a game where you stamp passports and arrest people. Basically, this game is FUNominal. Russian joke hohohhohohohohhoho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  78. Nov 1, 2017
    I only gave it one playthrough, didn't 100% it, not due to lack of enjoyment, but because for me, it was one of those experiences where it's best to consume it once and then enjoy the fumes of it for the rest of life. An interesting, one-of-a-kind title. Took about 4 hours to complete according to my Steam time - this was back in 2014, though I haven't revisited it since, I did want toI only gave it one playthrough, didn't 100% it, not due to lack of enjoyment, but because for me, it was one of those experiences where it's best to consume it once and then enjoy the fumes of it for the rest of life. An interesting, one-of-a-kind title. Took about 4 hours to complete according to my Steam time - this was back in 2014, though I haven't revisited it since, I did want to give this a quick nod since it was a memorable title. Expand
  79. May 13, 2017
    Very fun game when you are bored and have nothing to do. I joined the resistance. But not because I wanted to, I HAD to. It was the only way I could feed and buy medicine for my family who were sick. Still a very fun game and a good time killer.
  80. Aug 17, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played. It's just PERFECT. The story, the mechanics, the graphics...everything is just perfect !
    Don't look at the trailer or gameplay videos. You have to try the game for yourself.
  81. Feb 21, 2014
    A very unique game. At its core, it's a test of your attention span, but it's deeper than that. Your constantly forced to make a moral decision as to whether or not to admit someone who doesn't have the right credentials, and the game does a lot of little things to emotionally invest yourself in certain characters. Sometimes you really have to strain yourself to recognize an inconsistencyA very unique game. At its core, it's a test of your attention span, but it's deeper than that. Your constantly forced to make a moral decision as to whether or not to admit someone who doesn't have the right credentials, and the game does a lot of little things to emotionally invest yourself in certain characters. Sometimes you really have to strain yourself to recognize an inconsistency on someone's papers, and when it's something as blatantly obvious as a forgotten passport (and upon inquiry, they had it all along), it can feel a little forced. But overall, this is a very charming game. Glory to Arstotzka! Expand
  82. Oct 20, 2013
    Checking documents... What could be more boring? Wrong. Thanks to Papers, Please you can feel your importance at last! You can decide who is passing your checkpoint. You can help those who are in need or you can help terrorists. You'll be facing moral dilemmas and your choices will affect your or your country's life. Papers, Please is great.
  83. Jan 14, 2014
    Paper's Please is a refreshing experience, unlike anything I've tried before. Although the game play gets tedious quickly, it's an unique concept, it throws out a lot of interesting mind-games at you and it's done incredibly well. Definitely one of the best games of 2013, I really hope to see more from these developers.
  84. Mar 25, 2020
    You wouldn't think it possible to make an interesting video game from completing the repetitive and mundane tasks of working on a border patrol desk but that's exactly what the creators of Papers, Please have managed to do.

Split into days the game starts with a set of simple rules that help you decide whether or not to allow access into the games fictional country. Money is awarded for every person that is correctly let through and fines given for any errors. As the game progresses more complications, such as having to check passports or watch out for certain types of people, are introduced and pretty soon things become rather difficult. With the strict time limit for each day it does start get close to being unfair and most players will see the game over screen a number of times when they are unable to earn enough to keep themselves and their family alive. In fact I'd be surprised if many people were ever able to see it all the way through to the end (I know I didn't) but while it lasts Papers, Pleas is a unique and though provoking gaming experience.
  85. Jan 3, 2014
    An incredible game that puts you in a place of poor customs official of Arstotzka country. This is an original, dramatic, fresh, twisty and variable game. A really great one with doubt.
  86. Oct 14, 2013
    You can't imagine how checking passports could be an intriguing gaming experience? Neither could I. But that's the case here. I wouldn't use the term fun, but after 4 hours into the game I want more. The mechanic is simple; you have to match data and take notice of discrepancies. As the story develops your task is becoming increasingly more difficult, as the data that needs checking isYou can't imagine how checking passports could be an intriguing gaming experience? Neither could I. But that's the case here. I wouldn't use the term fun, but after 4 hours into the game I want more. The mechanic is simple; you have to match data and take notice of discrepancies. As the story develops your task is becoming increasingly more difficult, as the data that needs checking is building up. The game starts very slowly, but in time it gets very interesting as you meet characters and sunk ever deeper into the world of Papers, Please. You get to know all kind of little personal stories and have to make some tough decisions. You will find, that in a situation like this, you can't stay a 100% morally flawless person. You'll also find, that this game does rivet you in front of your PC by tickling your intellect. This is so rare and that's only one thing why this game deserves the highest rating. The art style, the writing and every other aspect comes together perfectly. Recommended! Expand
  87. Dec 24, 2016
    Original, interesting, hard, unforgiving, funny, sad.....
    The list goes on.
    This is one of the best indie games of all time. I can't wait for number two.
  88. Dec 24, 2013
    Great game, you should really play it.

One would think it'd get boring after a while but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded.

Easily the best indie game of 2013 in my opinion. It's a very unique game and isn't trying to ripoff something else and be a 'me too' product which earns it big points in my book.
  89. Jan 18, 2014
    One of the greatest game I've ever played, simple in concept but extremely deep and challenging as you move on. Many surprising story elements and twists to keep things fresh. This game also changed how I feel each time I pass through an airport.
  90. Jan 18, 2014
    This is byfar one of the best indy games I have ever played. Today's mainstream games are incredibly redundant and tedious, so I turned to indy games.
    Papers Please mixes the dark and sad themes of a post-war area. People are trying to get into your country and you have to see who is real and who is faking it. There are plenty of different things to stop it from becoming repetitive. You have terrorists, bombs, and all sorts of puzzles that reward you with money and tokens.

The core gameplay is fun and interesting. You are barraged with randomly generated people trying to enter your nation. Each one has their own unique passport. Over the course of the game, There are more and more documents you have to validate. If there is one discrepancy, you must announce it, and any false documents that you accept can get you fined. To top it all off, you have a family to feed.

There are around 20 endings, each one is unique and great. If you are good at this, you can work hard and try flee Arstotzka, or you can help overthrow it, or you can be the loyal comrade of the people and stop the resistance from destroying your beloved country.

The game has some really well compiled music, from the strong main menu theme with the communist hints to the music that plays if you survive the game or the music that plays if you get killed along the way.

Great indy game, 10/10!
  91. Nov 18, 2013
    Truly a unique game. It really fits no genre and is practically impossible to describe.However, I feel that anyone with a good sense of humor and appreciation for what one independent developer can accomplish will definitely get $10 worth out of this game. Easily the best game I've played all year.
  92. Nov 9, 2013
    Papers, Please is set to be the biggest indie hit of the year, perhaps even Game of the Year. While some may be turned off by the retro feel, others will embrace it. Regardless of your stance concerning production values though, none can deny the genius of making a game where working as a humble immigration officer is actually exciting!
  93. Oct 9, 2013
    A damn fine experience. This game is something genuinely unique and while I would have loved for get even more it was still more than I see from most any other game out there. Specifics are hard to get into but it is an interesting of blending precision with tedium. Word of warning, this is a puzzle game more than you would realize but it is one that somehow managed to make that is boringA damn fine experience. This game is something genuinely unique and while I would have loved for get even more it was still more than I see from most any other game out there. Specifics are hard to get into but it is an interesting of blending precision with tedium. Word of warning, this is a puzzle game more than you would realize but it is one that somehow managed to make that is boring seems fun! Crazy? You bet! And yet it's true. If you're hesitant, check out Youtube or wait for a Steam sale. This is definitely something to consider when you have the time. Expand
  94. Oct 17, 2013
    There’s no way any number of reviews could have prompted me to buy this game. It took a personal recommendation from a trusted friend to get me to pick up “Papers, Please,” and even then I was skeptical. After 20 minutes of playing, I was mesmerized by the cadence, the intelligence, the humor, and the addictive nature of the game, and simultaneously mortified that there are people whoThere’s no way any number of reviews could have prompted me to buy this game. It took a personal recommendation from a trusted friend to get me to pick up “Papers, Please,” and even then I was skeptical. After 20 minutes of playing, I was mesmerized by the cadence, the intelligence, the humor, and the addictive nature of the game, and simultaneously mortified that there are people who actually look at passports all day long for a living.

Don’t get me wrong, Papers, Please is a great game, thoroughly entertaining, challenging, and surprisingly effective at drawing you into the narrative. While you might shudder a bit at just how real it all feels the developers did much to make your booth feel cramped and claustrophobic it rewards meticulous attention to detail and quick adaptability, as any good strategy game should. And it keeps you wanting to play just a bit longer in order to see what happens the following day.

A great investment for $10 or less, Papers, Please combines a surprising amount of depth and a compelling narrative with solid gameplay that keeps you on your toes. If only the graphics were modern, bringing out the detail of all the people, passports, and papers you encounter, Papers, Please would rate an easy 10.
  95. Sep 21, 2013
    This is a puzzle game where the player has 'won' the privilege of being selected to work border patrol in a fictional eastern bloc country in the early 80's. You are tasked with determining who can and cannot gain entry into the country by examining their documents and looking for errors and forgeries. This is not a game for everyone. The whole premise is built around your attention toThis is a puzzle game where the player has 'won' the privilege of being selected to work border patrol in a fictional eastern bloc country in the early 80's. You are tasked with determining who can and cannot gain entry into the country by examining their documents and looking for errors and forgeries. This is not a game for everyone. The whole premise is built around your attention to detail. It sort of reminds me of those sections in newspapers where you try to find the differences between two pictures.

The core gameplay stays the same, you never leave your booth. However, new rules, regulations, and abilities make each day slightly different and will challenge even the most obsessive compulsive person. You are a poorly paid bureaucrat in a fascist nation. Will you take the bribe to let someone through? It may be the difference between your son getting medicine or dying. Is the risk worth it or will your superiors notice?

I think I had the most fun playing with my girlfriend and working together to look for discrepancies. It especially helped during the more difficult sections where multiple documents must be inspected at once.

The graphic style and music is very basic but the whole thing works out well. There's a black humor that pervades the game and keeps it interesting. Overall the game is very unique and interesting if nothing else. I feel I got my money's worth and would be interested to see an expansion or sequel to this premise.
  96. Oct 28, 2013
    Papers, Please, is an amazing Cold War Nostalgia, distopian thriller with lots of options and great story-telling. A story about a civil servant in a wide variety of situations, which surpasses many thrillers I've watched and read. Its not even light on gameplay, as just the simple interactions with would-be immigrants can be played out in several different ways with several differentPapers, Please, is an amazing Cold War Nostalgia, distopian thriller with lots of options and great story-telling. A story about a civil servant in a wide variety of situations, which surpasses many thrillers I've watched and read. Its not even light on gameplay, as just the simple interactions with would-be immigrants can be played out in several different ways with several different choices, and how well you do your job reflects the outcome.

If you like mysteries, or thriller stories, or puzzles, bureaucracy and management, anything like that, you should love this game.
  97. Aug 20, 2013
    This is a clever game and very different from most. I can’t imagine that anyone who scrutinises documents for a living would want to play it in their free time, but they'd probably have an edge over the rest of us so who knows?

The game itself quite a challenge because you need management skills as well as a good memory and eye for detail I suspect it would make a brilliant training tool. The theme music is as haunting and bleak as the world in which the game is set.

It's probably not a game that you'd want to play through that many times, but it is still highly recommended.
  98. Jan 6, 2014
    This is an amazing, surprising game. I've played a LOT of games over the years, but this one is inventive.

At first glance, it would seem that the work of a border guard is meaningless, boring drudge-work, and it IS, but it's also an interesting challenge. You're presented with many pieces of information and you have to verify it, but you have to do it QUICKLY! And when you make

And when you make mistakes, you get these horrible, annoying messages to slap your wrist. More than 2 mistakes and they dock your pay.

At the end of every day, you look at your measly stupid savings and try to figure how you're going to help your cold, sick, hungry family.

THEN, on TOP of that, you have these moral dilemmas. In my first game, I had a husband, everything in order, pass. Fine. Go have a nice day. Wife comes: doesn't have an entry purpose. She starts crying that if you send her back, they'll kill her FINE, go ahead, be with your husband, have a nice day.

FOURTH mistake of the day, pay is docked, take-home ZERO, hungry, sick tired family is not happy, now I'm in debt and it's STRAIGHT to jail!

Fun. Absolutely gut-wrenching fun.
  99. Jan 23, 2014
    Non si può negare che questo gioco sia ripetitivo, ma se molti lo considerano un difetto, io presonalmente lo considero un pregio, proprio perchè le meccaniche di gioco presentate in Papers Please sono tali da mettere alla prova la concentrazione, l'attenzione, i riflessi e la capacità di predenere decisioni (giuste o sbagliate che siano) rapidamente e nel minor tempo possibile. La graficaNon si può negare che questo gioco sia ripetitivo, ma se molti lo considerano un difetto, io presonalmente lo considero un pregio, proprio perchè le meccaniche di gioco presentate in Papers Please sono tali da mettere alla prova la concentrazione, l'attenzione, i riflessi e la capacità di predenere decisioni (giuste o sbagliate che siano) rapidamente e nel minor tempo possibile. La grafica retrò e le musichette di accopagnamento contribuiscono a rendere il gioco spassoso e divertente, mentre la trama intricata con 20 finali diversi, spigne a rigiocare il titolo più e più volte per scoprire tutti i segreti nascosti in questo, a detta del creatore Lucas Pope, thriller distopico. Expand
  100. Sep 21, 2013
    Made me feel empathy with a group of people that I'd never ever considered border inspectors, as well as deepen my empathy for the people that are denied by them and even those that get through the process. One of the most interesting games I've ever played, certainly of this year. I admit the core mechanic can get repetitive and tedious towards the end, especially if you play it in oneMade me feel empathy with a group of people that I'd never ever considered border inspectors, as well as deepen my empathy for the people that are denied by them and even those that get through the process. One of the most interesting games I've ever played, certainly of this year. I admit the core mechanic can get repetitive and tedious towards the end, especially if you play it in one sitting (which you can do!) but it also maintains tension throughout the the entirety of the game because of the high stakes. Play this game. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 40 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 2, 2014
    Papers, Please gives you a simple task that doesn't ask a lot of you. The game outgrows its mechanics though, by appealing to your moral compass and emotions. This indie game will get under your skin, will have you feeling uncomfortable and have you think about yourself, as a person.
  2. Oct 14, 2013
    An incredibly impressive little game, from its understated old-school art style to its ability to make you feel uncomfortable with how much you enjoy catching criminals trying to trick their way into your country.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Papers, Please is not only original but fun, too. More papers, please! [Sept 2013]