7.6

1. Jan 4, 2021
    Such an intriguing game. Heard good things but honestly did not know what to expect. I was seriously hooked after the first hour. This is a Vaporwave detective mystery game that has surprisingly deep investigation mechanics, a weird but amazing world/lore and fitting characters. Besides that it has great art, smart writing and a dope as hell soundtrack. Give this game a shot and youSuch an intriguing game. Heard good things but honestly did not know what to expect. I was seriously hooked after the first hour. This is a Vaporwave detective mystery game that has surprisingly deep investigation mechanics, a weird but amazing world/lore and fitting characters. Besides that it has great art, smart writing and a dope as hell soundtrack. Give this game a shot and you probably won't regret it. Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2020
    This title truly sets a new standard for detective games. Using an open-world with hidden rooms and passages to find clues in order to solve an excellent mystery (even just on its own) was a fantastic idea and executed almost flawlessly.

Creativity and worldbuilding oozes from this game's story, characters, and (of course) world to explore. So much so, in fact, that I fear it may be too overwhelming for the first couple of hours of a blind playthrough. I would recommend someone who has beaten this game give you, or you yourself look up, a quick backstory to the world of Paradise Killer first so that you can focus on the mystery without being busy wondering what the heck you're even playing first.

I very much appreciated this game not holding your hand when finding clues and solving each mystery, not to mention giving the player the ability to essentially end the game anytime they wish once they are satisfied with their investigation. This really helps the journey feel like your own, since you basically choose what ending you get as well as the fates of everyone left on the island. The journey is definitely where the game's strength is, however, as the epilogue to this mystery is overall a bit underwhelming considering its grande finale.

Absolutely worth every cent of your $20 and I can't wait for more adventures with the Investigator.

3. Nov 27, 2020
    What can say? Pretty "meh" in my opinion. I tried it and it was like "whatever"
  4. Oct 19, 2020
    This game is a vaporwave acid trip unlike anything I've ever experienced. Its an open-world detective game that doesn't hold your hand for a second. It lets you wander around this incredible setting to find or miss clues as you go and then you decide when you've figured it all out and take it to trial. The accusations and conclusions are your own.

The setting itself is wild and deeply

The setting itself is wild and deeply thought-out, with graphics that are as strange, beautiful, horrifying, and cool as the world they're portraying. Plus, a dope soundtrack.

There should be no hesitancy in picking up and playing this game.
  5. Sep 29, 2020
    HYPERBOLE reviews aren't from real people.

i got this when i read its polygon article. how this is such an amazing game, and ohmagwad dat setting and exploration and game of the year ohmagaaaawd 3 page essay ohmaGAAAAWD but of course, real people don't react like that or write essays on how good something is and why u shuld buy it init. game's vibe and brightness = psychosmatic

game's vibe and brightness = psychosmatic symptoms and nausea

*-*8_8*88**8--just so u were warned B4HAND*-*8_8*88**8--

10/10 would rather sloppily make out with pewdiepie ok??
  6. Sep 18, 2020
    Very compelling writing, fun exploration and borderline platforming mechanics in a game about justice that isn't actually about justice, but rather a playful commentary on its mishaps and the brittleness of its framework.

Setting's a fascinating (with yet even more interesting lore) yet corrupt island-city-whatever-loop and I seriously hope Kaizen Game Works pushes it forward with future releases. I thoroughly enjoyed playing the anti-hero, sweeping the nooks and crannies of Paradise 24, breaking in secret lairs (props for the word design, stellar aesthetics and sound included), chit-chatting and coping with its complex and often incompetent ''keepers'' in a fidgety strive for a truth that reveals itself, towards the end, delightfully loose: when not downright elusive.

As the ''witty'' character which chaperones you from ubiquity says, right before the ending credits, ''Humans are **** r*tards'' or something to such effect.
    Though I could have done with a little less of the light-heartedness. PK doesn't exactly wallow in the ''grimness'' which its very world brutally implies. Maybe that adds to the charm of it?

Cheap, immersive, great. Buy this ****
  7. Sep 9, 2020
    My new favourite mystery game!
    I simply couldn't stop playing.

With the open world and very little handholding you actually feel like a proper investigator!
  8. Sep 29, 2020

game's vibe and brightness = psychosmatic symptoms and nausea

*-*8_8*88**8--just so u were warned B4HAND*-*8_8*88**8--

10/10 would rather sloppily make out with pewdiepie ok??

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 16, 2020
    An investigative adventure that actually makes you feel like a detective, Paradise Killer blends surreal world-building, vibrant art, clever writing, and rock-solid open-world gameplay to create an experience you won’t soon forget.
  2. Oct 29, 2020
    This is by far one of the most creative, most satisfying, and most appealing games I’ve played all year, firmly sitting at the top of my GOTY 2020 list.
  3. Oct 13, 2020
    Paradise Killer offers the complexity and freedom we expect from a detective adventure.