7.4

1. Sep 25, 2018
    It is just our beloved and awaited Bauldur's Gate v3.0!
    just throw your money right into the monitor and enjoy!
  2. Sep 26, 2018
    Feels just like the classic isometric crpgs of old (with modern conveniences)!!! Uses the Pathfinder ruleset, which is extremely similar to the D&D 3.5 ruleset.

If you like old school crpgs such as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Planescape: Torment, or if you like more modern rpgs such as Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, and Tyranny, then you will definitely enjoy this game, I have no doubt.
  3. Sep 28, 2018
    Great game in all aspects, some minor bugs but they already adressing them , great work for an small indie studio. Great visuals, storytelling, characters etc... those who said "its imbalanced/too hard" havent played baldurs gate in their lives, where every door you opened u were gonna die because u didnt know what was coming, or u failed your save throws, or got crit on the face... and onGreat game in all aspects, some minor bugs but they already adressing them , great work for an small indie studio. Great visuals, storytelling, characters etc... those who said "its imbalanced/too hard" havent played baldurs gate in their lives, where every door you opened u were gonna die because u didnt know what was coming, or u failed your save throws, or got crit on the face... and on this one in normal difficulty ive been pwning all my normal combats, having to think or reload sometimes when come to the boss/difficult ones but not even close of how many times u needed to reload on BG/icewind/planescape etc... if u find this hard on normal diff settings, these games arent for you...and even tho u can put in on story mode so u cant die and enjoy the game...dont know what more u want guys...game cannot summon you some hands and brains so u can l2p, go back to fortnite or cod... Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2018
    Incredible. The best of BG2, Pillars 1/2 and isometric rpg gaming. Epic, deep, and wonderful gameplay.
  5. Sep 25, 2018
    Pathfinder Kingmaker is a fantastic rpg. So far, I am loving it. Congratulations to Owlcat Games!
  6. Oct 2, 2020
    It is amazing how this game is able to scratch my Baldurs Gate itch. It pushes in small but very subtle details a lot of traditional RPG elements by giving them a bit more depth a bit more push a bit more substance than you are used to and the cumulative effect is that you have a gorgeous full of content and progression arch for your hero and party. Amazing. I am playing version 2.1 soIt is amazing how this game is able to scratch my Baldurs Gate itch. It pushes in small but very subtle details a lot of traditional RPG elements by giving them a bit more depth a bit more push a bit more substance than you are used to and the cumulative effect is that you have a gorgeous full of content and progression arch for your hero and party. Amazing. I am playing version 2.1 so cannot comment on the earlier version. This version is very polished. Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2020
    Much controversy over this one: rated with many "zeroes" and "tens". I must say this is an excellent game, with has aspects that can please most players. For instance I thoroughly enjoyed the controversial Kingdom building part, which adds a strategic layer to the action. One thing that many naysayers forget is that after two full years from release, this game is being constantly updatedMuch controversy over this one: rated with many "zeroes" and "tens". I must say this is an excellent game, with has aspects that can please most players. For instance I thoroughly enjoyed the controversial Kingdom building part, which adds a strategic layer to the action. One thing that many naysayers forget is that after two full years from release, this game is being constantly updated with substantial improvements: the best of these is certainly the turn based combat. After so many Patches the game has lost the vast majority of the initial bugs. I rate it 9 because I still do not like some details of the combat system, a bit based on luck and imho, devoid of a proper interaction between weapons and armour. Overall, a great game. Expand
  8. May 27, 2020
    This is a true spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series, and small studio Owlcat deserves a whole lot of credit to have pulled off this very complex game as good as they have 12 years after we saw a similar D&D game, Neverwinter Nights 2. The gameplay, the exploration, the combat system, the overview and feel of the graphics, the quirky humor - the Baldur's Gate inspiration is veryThis is a true spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series, and small studio Owlcat deserves a whole lot of credit to have pulled off this very complex game as good as they have 12 years after we saw a similar D&D game, Neverwinter Nights 2. The gameplay, the exploration, the combat system, the overview and feel of the graphics, the quirky humor - the Baldur's Gate inspiration is very clear. The biggest deviation is really that this is in the world of Golarion and not Forgotten Realms, but in some way it feels refreshing to get to know this (for me) new setting. Expand
  9. Jun 23, 2020
    I was quite surprised by Kingmaker, it is a great CRPG and a worthy spiritual successor to the old isometric rpgs such as Baldur's Gate. The story is simple but nice, the characters and companions are enjoyable but what I liked the most was definitely how immersive the game is and the huge amount of choices it offers. The kingdom management mechanics might not appeal to everyone, but II was quite surprised by Kingmaker, it is a great CRPG and a worthy spiritual successor to the old isometric rpgs such as Baldur's Gate. The story is simple but nice, the characters and companions are enjoyable but what I liked the most was definitely how immersive the game is and the huge amount of choices it offers. The kingdom management mechanics might not appeal to everyone, but I personally enjoyed that aspect. I didn't really enjoy the combat, but I fixed it thanks to the marvelous turn-based mod.
    I'll definitely be eager to play the next game.
  10. Oct 4, 2020
    The most expansive CRPG out there, massive amount of depth and challenging gameplay that forces you to plan out your encounters and build your team with balance in mind (and make use of the quick save). Playing through on difficult is a rewarding experience that rewards you for exploring and punishes you for your mistakes
  11. Jun 21, 2020
    Good written text (at least on Russian), a beautiful picture, an interesting world to discover, a solid story, an understandable protagonist motivation, but why have the “top manager” simulator added here? Ubuntu 18.04. There are some performance issues that were recently mostly fixed but not everywhere. Otherwise GNU/Linux port works perfectly.
  12. Aug 18, 2019
    This game was a huge surprise for me. It has very entertaining story, solid game mechanics and a lot of content. I would rate it higher than other RPGs I have played lately (Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Mass Effect 4…), it is certainly one of the best story driven RPGs I have ever played (like Planescape: Torment, Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Origins,This game was a huge surprise for me. It has very entertaining story, solid game mechanics and a lot of content. I would rate it higher than other RPGs I have played lately (Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Wasteland 2, Mass Effect 4…), it is certainly one of the best story driven RPGs I have ever played (like Planescape: Torment, Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer). Unlike the above-mentioned games, this one does one thing very differently, the real sense of urgency. The main crises pop up at predetermined time intervals and when they do, you better solve them quickly or face the consequences. You can easily lose the game by ignoring the main quests.

What I liked most about this game was its story. The initial chapter of the game gripped me and didn’t let go. The origin story of the main villain made me genuinely sad and the last chapter, where you go against literal demigods, was very satisfying, it even has a secret ending, where you can give the main villain a taste of his own medicine. The pacing of the game was good, I had just enough money to buy everything I wanted and equip all companions, just enough time to fully develop my kingdom and explore the entire map and just enough XP to hit level 20 during the final chapter. I liked that the game did not push me into any alignment (hello Baldur’s Gate) and that you could recruit some of your former enemies as advisors.

The difficulty level was uneven with a lot of power creep toward the end. I was playing on the hard difficulty with story companions and the opening chapter was very hard. Some fights were almost unfair (the wererats cave still haunts my dreams), but that was mostly due to my unwillingness to give up and return later. Compared to that, the endgame was very easy, I just had to make sure my buffs are up and mow down all the opposition. But I can see why some people find the endgame very hard, there is a lot of room to make mistakes in your character builds and miss important buffs and abilities.

I have waited a year to play this game and I’m happy, that the developers used that time to fix and polish the game. I didn’t encounter any content bugs; the game froze only a couple of times. Some of the mechanics work differently than in PnP, but it is hard to tell, whether it is a bug or feature.

The weakest part of the game was the kingdom management, its mechanics are shallow, events are mostly random, I did not notice any event chains, the buildings system is simple and leads to weird and unrealistic situations, like filling towns of your lawful good kingdom with goblin quarters to boost your espionage score. The most interesting part of the kingdom management was the decision making with your advisors, but it had little impact on the RPG side of the game. Develop your kingdom well and you may get extra time in the last chapter, but that’s about it. The game could also use some ease of use features. Like searching items for a particular bonus type, or some way to automate long term buffs.
  13. Aug 10, 2019
    Plagued on release by ridiculously long loading screens and a plethora of game breaking bugs, Pathfinder: Kingmaker hasn't been warmly received by the mainstream. Once you get past the technical issues, though, you will find an extremely ambitious spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Kingmaker is more than just a clone, however; it adds a few twists of its own. Most notably, there is the kingdom management system, where you build and upgrade your towns, and assign NPCs to solve various problems or participate in numerous projects. Also, the game finally solves the rest spamming problem the Infinity Engine games always had, by combining heavy and costly camping supplies with (fairly generous) time limits, thus giving you the incentive to make as much progress as possible before replenishing your health and spells. Finally, the Pathfinder ruleset allows for a wide variety of builds, making character development more involved than the game's major source of inspiration.

While most technical problems have been fixed since release, the quality of the game still sharply drops in the last two chapters; the good parts, however, still offer more unique and interesting content than most other RPGs, and I can wholeheartedly recommend Kingmaker to any fan of Infinity Engine games.
  14. Jun 28, 2019
    Such an amazing game. I've played the latest version (2.0.3) and I haven't encountered any serious bugs, only few minor ones. Scope is amazing, big kudos to the developers.
  15. May 26, 2019
    I have been a fun of CRPGs many years now and I have played all major titles that our out there.

Kingmaker is a truly great game, nothing else is like it. I don't remember enjoying so much a game since maybe BG II or the original Fallout series. The game is very stable at its current state. It is a shame the release was buggy leading to the game not getting all the attention it

The game is very stable at its current state. It is a shame the release was buggy leading to the game not getting all the attention it deserves. On the other side the game mechanics are really complex and I find it really impressive that a small development studio managed to create something that great. Having a lot of experience in software development myself, I understand that it is simply impossible to the create a game from scratch with so many features without creating bugs.

Plain 10/10 for me, I am eager to see future work from this studio.
  16. Jan 26, 2019
    As for writing and story this is certainly a great game. Character development is fun.
    Bug's count has been reduced greatly with the latest updates.
    Bug's count has been reduced greatly with the latest updates.
    Yeah, combat can be pretty punishing in a number of ways, but for those who feel that it's too hard, why not go with lower diffuculty settings? That's exactly what I did and gameplay didn't suffer for me (dialogue checks can still be a little too high, though).
    I would probably complain about top levels and 9th lvl spells as I played wizard, but it's getting better with each patch.
    This game is certainly in one league with BG2 and NWN for me - and I do really hope for more content coming later.
  17. Dec 14, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (1) First & foremost.. the AI system only has an on/off button, so the AI system of this game is literally ¡TRASH!
    (2) During the Amiri & Armag duel a BUG happens that ends the duel abruptly, which makes that part of its plot LAME, because it doesn't look good in the slightest.
    (3) At certain points.. all the options have the same result, such as.. if the player refuses to exterminate the Trolls.. the same 'll forcibly lose Ekundayo & it doesn't matter what one answers to him, like really.. what's even the point of having magical abilities like hypnosis.. if one can't just brainwash someone like Ekun.. ¯_ツ_/¯
    (4) Owlcat Games really messed-up my boy "Lander Lebeda" in this game.. like seriously.. ¿WTF?
    Lander Lebeda is a fairly decent noble.. in fact, his alignment even is Lawful Neutral, not Chaotic Evil, & not just that.. but Owlcats even turn him into a ¡BACKSTABBER! (╬ಠ益ಠ)
  18. Dec 8, 2020
    Played in in 2020 without any of the bugs it had on release.

Absolutely brilliant game and rpg. Some of the best writing I've seen since before Bioware turned into a children's playhouse for mongoloids. The only downside of the game was its abysmal 'kingdom management' system, which can be solved by putting it on 'effortless' because the only alternative is either savescumming or
    Played in in 2020 without any of the bugs it had on release.

The only downside of the game was its abysmal 'kingdom management' system, which can be solved by putting it on 'effortless' because the only alternative is either savescumming or putting it one difficulty lower and missing content.

My only complaint was the lack of party banter.
  19. Jul 23, 2019
    An absolute gem, refreshing old style game. Everything is really great, it is challenging, requires planning, knowing your characters, spells or abilities, but nowhere near as difficultly as some negative comments mention. It does not hold your hand, and can be played very differently. I wish there was more games like this.
  20. Sep 28, 2018
    Even thoug I like the game, the question whether I would recommend it is not easy to answer. Before I write anything about the actual gameplay I have to say that I did not encounter any of the bugs many player's mention, yet. But I hope that those bugs are going to be fixed soon, so that everybody will be able to enjoy the game if they want to. Some of them seem pretty critical andEven thoug I like the game, the question whether I would recommend it is not easy to answer. Before I write anything about the actual gameplay I have to say that I did not encounter any of the bugs many player's mention, yet. But I hope that those bugs are going to be fixed soon, so that everybody will be able to enjoy the game if they want to. Some of them seem pretty critical and definitely a reason to be angry about.

Being a D&D pen&paper fan, familiar with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and comparable games like Divinity Original Sin and Pillar's of Eternity, I did not struggle with some of the problems the other players who criticise the game have. Nevertheless, it is a tough game, where you need to think a lot about group composition, which skills to pick and how to prepare for a fight. You won't be able to take all the fights right away. Consequently, you will reload a lot and you will have to postpone quests you are on in order to level up before you can face and defeat some of the enemies. Sometimes you simply cannot outsmart your enemies or outskill them, you just need better stats or success will be a matter of luck.
    In addition, the game does not have many comfort features, players are used to have nowadays. You will have to read the conversations and you will have to remember some of that stuff or you will be wondering how to defeat some foes or where to go.

I personally like all of those challenges because they make a game interesting and challenging, while many rpgs nowadays are rather boring. The story seems to be ok so far, nothing special but nothing bad either. What I like a lot is the fact that many of your decisions actually matter. Certain dialogue options will make other npcs joing your group. Depending on where you go first, some encounters will change and thus the development of the story will change. The possibilities in the management of your kingdom seem nice, even though I cannot finally assess those.

To put it in a nutshell, if you want to play a casual rpg which is totally polished and balanced, do NOT buy this game (or at least wait, the designers have already said that they will take a look into the balance and difficulty levels). If you want to play an oldschool rpg, which might be frustrating sometimes, this game might be a good choice for you.
  21. Oct 28, 2018
    I've played every RPG you've ever heard of, and this is better than all of them. An incredible achievement in video games. Not just game of the generation, but game of the century.
  22. Jan 7, 2020
    By now it's the best CRPG I've played for long time.
    I know, it had a lot of bugs at release, but now most of them fixed and this is really must-have game.
  23. Sep 4, 2020
    First thing to mention. The game was patch and changed hugely so lot of older reviews speak about quite different and worse game from one or two years ago so don't let them discourage you.

I would say this is very good isometric RPG with real roleplay. The story is good and lets you do enough decisions and side quest are nice. It may not be equal to master of the genre as Planscape or Kotor, but it still better then most.

What I really liked is turn based mode that suite well to PnP based RPG games, but is often omitted in many games like this. You can at will switch from turn based to real time with pause, so everybody can pick their preferred mode or use one that is more suitable at the time.

The game is not holding your hand and you need to think a bit and do some exploration as you don't have an all knowing compass.

Dialogs are well written and gives you choices that are better then just bad/good and contains lot of check for your non fighting skills. If you are mage, you will be able to solve problem differently to rouge, fighter or druid.

Fights are good mix of challenging, medium with occasional super easy that let you enjoy your superior power. I got only one really frustrating early in the game against some swarm, but it could been avoided.

The quest are quite good and they have their meaning not like in many modern open world games where huge portion of them is just filler. Some of the guest are time dependent or exclusive, so the order of completion will lead into different results. This is quite nice for immersion and replay value

TLDR:
    Very good game. Must have if you like this genre. Improved a lot from release so don't take old reviews too serious.
  24. Jun 1, 2019
    One of the best roleplaying games of the last years. Dificult and challenging for old players, like me, who enjoyed Baldur’s Gate, Eye of the Beholder I, II and III, or the old TSR series. The game demands strategy and intelligence in everh encounter, and to know the rules of Pathfinwr gane. I really love ir.
  25. Apr 10, 2019
    Not gonna make a horrible long review.

Look, this is the game Bioware should have made.

The people who made this must have played allot of baldurs gate + neverwinter nights :D

No really if you like RPG games this is a must, you wont regret it, 1010 (based on budget and scale)
    I have not had this much fun since the Witcher 3.
  26. Nov 9, 2020
    excellent roleplaying game with high replay value because you can have different endings. you can also lead the kingdom in different ways and there are many side quests. And there are more modes which are also interesting.

For the price definitely a buy recommendation and except sometimes the complex mechanics and some bugs but overall a very very good and great story.
  27. Jun 14, 2019
    Based on the Enhanced Edition (2.0), this is a fantastic game. It still has some minor issues here and there, but they have patched all the big things. Damn thing is consuming all my free time :D
  28. Apr 18, 2019
    Very buggy mess at release but the devs have worked overtime to keep the patches coming and have brought this game not to just a playable status but to an enjoyable one. Great story and true adaptation of the Pathfinder pen & paper system now in a computer game. Really enjoying the experience and so much replay value based on all the different story options you can choose which can vastlyVery buggy mess at release but the devs have worked overtime to keep the patches coming and have brought this game not to just a playable status but to an enjoyable one. Great story and true adaptation of the Pathfinder pen & paper system now in a computer game. Really enjoying the experience and so much replay value based on all the different story options you can choose which can vastly change the world and story. Expand
  29. Jun 10, 2019
    I purchased this game three weeks ago and have logged 60h into it so far. While I think a lot of the '2's that this game received in the past may have been true at the time, I see a vibrant DLC community and I dont see the bugs that are discussed here, aside from my game not closing elegantly. The graphics are good enough - they arent beautiful but as a former game designer and scripterI purchased this game three weeks ago and have logged 60h into it so far. While I think a lot of the '2's that this game received in the past may have been true at the time, I see a vibrant DLC community and I dont see the bugs that are discussed here, aside from my game not closing elegantly. The graphics are good enough - they arent beautiful but as a former game designer and scripter for the SSI Darksun series and tester on the gold box series I understand the tradeoff between breadth and depth in art production investment. Whats most important -- the things I would have my character do and by and large supported. The conversations and situations are nuanced and not at all childish / black&white, the characters display in conversation that actual amount of depth that is supported. What I admire is the care the developers have in not overwriting what is in fact not supported. I love the town building, character development, the difference int he value of loot to different people. I love the combat. Its all good. Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2019
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker is one of the best cRPG games I've ever played.
    If you like this genre you must play in this masterpiece.
    Thank you guys from OwlCat games, I'm waiting for a sequel.
  31. Aug 22, 2019
    Awesome game oldschool rpg. It's much better then tyrany or divinity. Cute design, interesting plot, quests and gameplay.

-1 for sjw propaganda lol. All, its not a joke, companion quests are about noble fight for liberty and equality.
  32. Feb 1, 2020
    Since a year after release, Pathfinder:Kingmaker have become a good, playable game. It takes a lot of good ideas from other CRPGs and releases them in unique setting, which has not been used in games. Plot of Pathfinder is really good, characters are well-written, but yet, companions of main hero are not good enough to be remembered. Gameplay is classical for this type of games. Graphic isSince a year after release, Pathfinder:Kingmaker have become a good, playable game. It takes a lot of good ideas from other CRPGs and releases them in unique setting, which has not been used in games. Plot of Pathfinder is really good, characters are well-written, but yet, companions of main hero are not good enough to be remembered. Gameplay is classical for this type of games. Graphic is good.

I think, that the main reason to buy this game is plot. it is really good, i liked it a lot. It is based on one of Pathfinder's series table game. I want to say that it is, perhaps, one of the best plots in RPGs i have seen, i really liked it all.

So, in the end i want to say, that it is 8/10 game and i can recommend it to those, who like CRPGs. But yet, if you have not yet played games of this genre i recommend you to start with other games, like Dragon Age: Origins or Divinity:Original sin 2 because it is really hard to cope with local fighting system.
  33. Feb 4, 2021
    This game is probably the single greatest Baldur's Gate inspired crpg ever made. Yes it is even better than Pillars 1 and 2 combined. The bugs that plagued the game at the time of release have, for the most part, been fixed. It is an epic journey that will ask much of you, but will also give much back in return. It is also probably the longest game of it's kind, with a single playthroughThis game is probably the single greatest Baldur's Gate inspired crpg ever made. Yes it is even better than Pillars 1 and 2 combined. The bugs that plagued the game at the time of release have, for the most part, been fixed. It is an epic journey that will ask much of you, but will also give much back in return. It is also probably the longest game of it's kind, with a single playthrough taking well over 100 hours. The writing might not reach the heights of BG 2 but it is still engaging. If you like a more traditional take on crpgs then this is your game. And now it even has a turn-based mode! Expand
  34. Nov 15, 2018
    I believe this game is a living classic, so I can't score it below 10/10. I'm not going to say much about why this game is so great, you can see it even in some negative reviews. I can't but admit that there are some technical issues. The most annoying thing for me was continuously appearing loading screens in some particular locations. I didn't run into any game-stopping bugs though (II believe this game is a living classic, so I can't score it below 10/10. I'm not going to say much about why this game is so great, you can see it even in some negative reviews. I can't but admit that there are some technical issues. The most annoying thing for me was continuously appearing loading screens in some particular locations. I didn't run into any game-stopping bugs though (I completed the game playing 1.02 build) , maybe I was lucky. Another big complaint about the game is that it's unbalanced. It's simply not true. In fact it's one of the best balanced D&D based RPG ever made. But if you want to play it on challenging or hard mode you really need to figure out how things work in this game. It's very complex and deep. Even though I considered myself as an experienced D&D player, I did it on normal and even had to lower game difficulty at the end. But that was the fair punishment, since I was really careless leveling up after like lvl 10. And you know what? That's why this game is so great. I didn't care about my further level progression because I expected that the game won't let me screw up since I went so far. This logic works in most of the games actually. But not here. Don't take this game lightly. If it warns you that hard mode is for reruns, you better believe it. I love the fact that you can fail even on normal, since potential of failure make things more interesting. You are always able to lower difficulty level and make your kingdom unbreakable to finish the story line. There is acutally nothing wrong with it.
    The most of the modern games are made to be rewarding rather than punishing. Why? Look at those reviews where people say something like "The game has a great potential blah-blah-blah I ran into some encounter and got rekt! The game is so unbalanced!". So they score it 1/10 even though they partially admitted that the game is great. Clearly, they didn't like their punishment. I believe the developers could expect this outcome but they still chose to make this game as it is. I respect them so much for that.
  35. Sep 28, 2018
    I'm not a "Fanboy or Paid Shill" but the game is definitely 10/10, especially for 40 dollars. 35 hours in and loving every minute of it. I will admit the beginning of the game on hard mode is basically reloading over and over until you get good rolls.

There could be some adjusting on the difficulty towards the first 3-5 hours of the game or so because have no options to improve your situation. To be fair however, there's not hard limitation on when you can adjust the difficulty. Folks can just adjust the difficulty down to challenging, clear the first part of the game, and then bump it up when the game takes off. Once the game opens up it becomes much more balanced.

This is the closest thing to Baulders gate i've played in years. I'm personally having more fun with this game than I did with the Pillars, or Divinity Series. I've personally experienced very few bugs or issues during my 35 hours of game play. If you're a fan of crpg's (baulders gate, Neverwinter, ice wind Dale, etc) than this game is a no brainier. I would of gladly paid 60 dollars for this game.
  36. Sep 29, 2018
    This is as close as we are ever going to get to a proper Baldurs Gate 3.

Recommend to play it on a difficulty above Normal and just nerd out like crazy.
  37. Jan 3, 2019
    It blows PoE and D:OS out of the water when it comes to RP, choices and consequences. Skills matter, choices have impact, the game isn't afraid of letting you fail. The only reason it has such a low score is because it was released in a terribly buggy state. At the moment, the vast majority of bugs have been fixed and the game is nothing less than a perfect crpg.
  38. Oct 8, 2018
    Good game, great gameplay, need some balancing though, some patches, the rest all good.

P.D. :this game is not for sissy boys!!.
  39. Sep 28, 2018
    Much better than what the **** will have you believe. Very fun game, been playing it non-stop since it came out.
  40. Oct 25, 2018
    This game is great, if you like RPG, Baldurs Gate or NWN, its a must buy. Most negative opinions are due to bugs or crashes, which are getting fixed (a hotpatch comes out every 2 days), so this game should really be rated a lot higher. Its just that people have very shortsighted reviews. This kind of complex game requires a lot of coding, especially considering all the character buildingThis game is great, if you like RPG, Baldurs Gate or NWN, its a must buy. Most negative opinions are due to bugs or crashes, which are getting fixed (a hotpatch comes out every 2 days), so this game should really be rated a lot higher. Its just that people have very shortsighted reviews. This kind of complex game requires a lot of coding, especially considering all the character building options, kingdom events, etc....so its natural that it wouldnt be perfect at release. Give it some time and it will be one of the best CRPGs ever out there. Expand
  41. Oct 7, 2018
    Correct title should be Pathfinder: Load Screen maker. It's a great game. At the current state it is still under development and it will take some time until it will be patched up entirely, but the devs doing their best every day and i have no problem with that.

The problem starts with the amount of loading screens we have to go through to get to the tasty part (ruling your kingdom). Let's count: Throne room - kingdom panel - building panel - back to kingdom panel - back to throne room - out to town and finally go back to world map. 7 loading screens to get on with your kingdom. And every one of them (with just one exception) take up to few minutes. I dunno but for me it's little bit wrong.

Besides that the games is GOLDEN! It is the best DnD experience i have since BG2 era. It is actually the Baldurs Gate of 2018. I couldn't imagine a better classic rpg game. The writing is exceptionally good. The lore is deep. The number of events and quest is overwhelming. Companions are lively and unique. Mechanics are proper d&d 3.75 (it is unique to pathfinder if i'm correct) ruling set, which is the best out of what d&d can offer.

If they ever fix that ridiculous loading screens and bugs i'll change the score to 10. And one more issue i have with the game is that, there could be more descriptions and infos about the mechanics, effect, stats etc. The game is too complex for some people. There should be more info for players non familiar with the pathfinder or dnd in general.
  42. Sep 25, 2018
    Just started the game but love how its true to the pen and paper version of Pathfinder. I love how it has the various combat tricks from Pathfinder - INTIMIDATE a foe to get a bonus or CHARGE to get another bonus. So far so great!
  43. Sep 28, 2018
    Reminds me strongly of Baldur's Gate. It is almost like the Pen and Paper Pathfinder System and feels great. I love it!
  44. Sep 26, 2018
    Great game like old crpgs. Class customization, skills everything is so detailed.
    World setting is what I want to see in crpgs. I hope this title succeed.
  45. Sep 25, 2018
    Amazing game so far! 8 hours in and I am blown away! Wonderful job by everyone who worked on this, it sure is a joy to play it! A mix of old school games like Baldurs Gate and modern crpgs like Pillars Of Eternity 2. Get this NOW!
  46. Sep 30, 2018
    One of the better RPGs, this time based on the Pathfinder franchise, that contains a kingdom builder. Game works great, a bug here and there, but I guess this is normal for day 1.

Edit: a few days and a couple game hours in, I must say the game is really good and satisfying. There's a lots of discussion on the forums (especially Steam) about the game rules, I'm not going prone about the casual argument, but the game is true to its rules ancestry. Some encounters are tough, but absolutely doable on normal difficulty.
    Devs continuously fix the bugs and crashes and, well, polish some encounters.
  47. Oct 1, 2018
    Impressive to see developers released such a great game and that respects the bible (Ruleset of Pathfinder). More than 50h now, and I litteray dream of the game during my nights. Brillant, cleaver, and... omg... A great storyline. Combats are amazing too. The best of the genre. Thank you so much for that. The game who will gather the pathfinder community around it!!
  48. Nov 16, 2018
    A true gem in the sea of bag games coming out recently. I'm a huge fan of CRPGs all the way back to the days of Pools of Radiance, Silver Swords and such.
    Great story, great characters, great system, and actually challenging unlike 99% of the trash that comes out today.
  49. Oct 2, 2018
    Loving it. Finally something true to the baldur's gate legacy. Some minor bugs encountered but lots of support from the devs so far.
  50. Oct 2, 2018
    This game truly took me back to Infinity-era of RPGs. (Baldur's Gate,IWD and so on) Mechanics and the feeling of grand adventure here is something I've not had in a really long time.

Game is unforgiving; you get to do plenty of mistakes if you are careless. You need to use your head and show caution. Much of the content here isn't present only to lose to player in an entertaining way.

Mehcanics, spells and so on remind one very, very vividly of AD&D ruleset. It ticks and plays like a tabletop game turned into PC. I love it.
  51. Dec 2, 2018
    This game is quite an enjoyable CRPG with complex decisions and situations along with great game-play and wonderful animations. I like that your choices have significant repercussions to your companions, NPC's and the world in general. Great writing as well.
  52. Sep 26, 2018
    This game is perfect. Don't listen to kids that never played a single tabletop RPG in their life, saying that the game is difficult, that the resting system is bad. The resting system is perfect, the game uses almost every Pathfinder rule. Yeah, the tabletop is difficult! Want stupid and easy gameplay go play Diablo, or whatever. I'm a backer and this game lives up to its promise.
  53. Oct 2, 2018
    Amazing game. A surprise for me as i did no expect it to be that good or that such games can be made in this day and age at all.

Gameplay, characters, story, depth - it beats everything else on the market since Dragon Age Origins easily - including Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sin. A great RPG truly worthy of lined in same row as Baldur's Gate. It provides immense joy of

It provides immense joy of being immersed into it, and whats best - it has a LOT of content, so much you start to wonder if all those other "rpg games" with short campaigns and copy paste elements are jsut a demo versions or early betas - because no way can they compete with RPG that litterally lets you spend hundreds of hours full of rich content and great replayability. it'll take you ages to finish it, and right after you'll start again and then over because of how many things you could do differently and how charater playstiles, your decisions and alighment affect the game.

The developers not just lived up to their reputation, they did much more - established even higher standard (Nival/allods team/now "Owlcat" already being "Blizzard of Russia").

I really hope this game continues to recieve active support, expansion and continuations. Being new to Pathfinder rules and setting, i am already addicted to it and potential for further developing the story and universe - be it in dlcs,expansion or more games on same engine is great. So many stories in the game and so many more exciting adventures hinted.
  54. Oct 18, 2018
    Really good story. Fun game. nice and challenging. Thank God for no first person perspective I am so sick of that crap! A third person Isometric RPG just the way I like it. Nicely by the rules. I love that the difficulty can be changed at any time. I love the characters in it. Really fun! I wish you could rotate the screen like in Never winter 2. and I wish It did not have someReally good story. Fun game. nice and challenging. Thank God for no first person perspective I am so sick of that crap! A third person Isometric RPG just the way I like it. Nicely by the rules. I love that the difficulty can be changed at any time. I love the characters in it. Really fun! I wish you could rotate the screen like in Never winter 2. and I wish It did not have some many load screens. esp the capital. And I wish there was a way to trade you gold for bp in the kingdom management screen. Expand
  55. Nov 4, 2018
    I must admit I didn't have so much fun with a video game for a long time, it is truly a masterpiece. This game is to Pahtfinder what Baldur's Gate was to AD&D. The game is huge and non-linear, with a lot of freedom of exploration and interesting quests. I played 170 hours so far (hard difficulty, completionist) and probably just starting the mid-game content. Contrary to other reviewers,I must admit I didn't have so much fun with a video game for a long time, it is truly a masterpiece. This game is to Pahtfinder what Baldur's Gate was to AD&D. The game is huge and non-linear, with a lot of freedom of exploration and interesting quests. I played 170 hours so far (hard difficulty, completionist) and probably just starting the mid-game content. Contrary to other reviewers, for a game this large and complex, I'm amazed that there are so few bugs. And congratulations on the adaptation of the Pathfinder ruleset to a videogame, very well done.

In comparison to Baldur's Gate:
    - Pathfinder's feat selection and complete liberty of multiclassing makes leveling up and developing your characters a much richer experience.
    - The management of you barony is really well thought and much better than the "keep" system we had in Baldur's Gate.
    - Time constraints. I understand that not everybody will like them, but to me, they make the game so much more interesting. You now actually have to manage your spells somewhat and can't afford to rest after each combat to systematically recover them all.
    - Inventory management is nice. A global inventory for the whole party with filtering and sorting options, shared encumbrance, no need to move items between containers (bag of holdings simply have negative weight).
    - The influence of weather on the game. In a storm, you move more slowly unless you have druid/ranger feats and the rain adds concealment on ranged attacks.
  56. Oct 6, 2018
    If you liked Baulder's Gate, or like to play tabletop Pathfinder or DnD, then you'll like this game. While there are a few improvements I would like to see (being able to walk faster, the ability to customized/edit AI, etc), the game is still great. The graphics are awesome, the story line is very well executed, and I'm enjoying the dedication to pathfinder rules.
  57. Nov 8, 2018
    Whenever I review a game, or a movie... I try to determine the goal or target first. PK wasn't meant for my parents, nor my wife, and people interested in reviews should be wondering if it's right for them. I play roleplaying and strategy games, as well as 'Pathfinder'; This game is great for me. As far as I know, this is the first Pathfinder implementation for a PC game. It is veryWhenever I review a game, or a movie... I try to determine the goal or target first. PK wasn't meant for my parents, nor my wife, and people interested in reviews should be wondering if it's right for them. I play roleplaying and strategy games, as well as 'Pathfinder'; This game is great for me. As far as I know, this is the first Pathfinder implementation for a PC game. It is very similar to Baldur's gate (weaknesses and strengths) except for it following Pathfinder rules.

I have had some issues, while playing. And I have seen an immense effort to fix those. What many are ignoring here is the larger number of basic choices and concepts in Pathfinder compared to D&D 2.0, that BG didn't have to deal with, as well as the concepts like kingdom management and such that make it larger or at least more complex.

Could it be improved -- Yes
    Is it the worst game ever -- No
    Is it being improved -- Yes
    Do I have fun playing it for multiple hours -- Yes
    Do I expect to have more fun in the future (playing it) -- Yes
    Will I buy a different campaign, if Owlcat makes another Pathfinder game? -- Yes
    It hit my target -- But I do NOT recommend it for everyone. I think the less you know about Pathfinder, the more the learning curve looks intimidating.
  58. Dec 1, 2018
    The next best thing since the original Baldur's Gate. A true gem, I've waited far too long for something like this.
  59. Sep 29, 2018
    This is to Pathfinder RPG what Baldur's Gate was to D&D - a faithful adaptation of the system with sensible changes to move to a real-time with pause system on the PC. Most of the negative feedback is due to the difficulty and lack of transparency to the ruleset. Those are probably bad design decisions for a game that needs to appeal to a broader audience in order to build an installedThis is to Pathfinder RPG what Baldur's Gate was to D&D - a faithful adaptation of the system with sensible changes to move to a real-time with pause system on the PC. Most of the negative feedback is due to the difficulty and lack of transparency to the ruleset. Those are probably bad design decisions for a game that needs to appeal to a broader audience in order to build an installed base, but they're easily fixed with some default settings and Google to understand how Pathfinder characters work. The writing is excellent, companions are fun, combat is solid. If you're an experienced RPG player, this game is for you. I hope they put in a better help system and tweak the default settings so that they can sell more new players, because I'd love to see lots of money flowing into expansions and DLC. Expand
  60. Sep 27, 2018
    This game is not going to be for everybody. It's not even going to be for all CRPG fans. But if you still think this game might be for you, it is REALLY for you.

If you want a game with more character classes than you will ever play, which then gives those classes four very different subclasses, this game is for you. If you think balanced gameplay is overrated, this game is for you.

If you think balanced gameplay is overrated, this game is for you.
    If you're cool with a game that kills you for resting in the wrong spot, but ONLY if it kills you in an interesting way, this game is for you.
    If you enjoy a little wonkiness, this game is for you.
    If you want to be repeatedly killed by tiny spiders, until you finally hit them with that torch you started with because fire makes sense, which makes you say "Ohhhhh okay!" when they die, this game is for you.
    If you are really tired of saving the world, this game is for you.
    If you enjoyed the writing in early CRPGs, but you find that the modern CRPGs try a little too hard to recreate the same beats, and now you don't really care about the story anyway, this game is for you.
    And if you want to begrudgingly respect a video game that isn't Dark Souls, this game is for you.
  61. Oct 4, 2018
    65 Hours in and really enjoying the game. It is very POE, very BG, even NWN, but has its own special flavors. I can see this being the base game for a lot of expansions or module. Ignore the cries of difficulty from the other reviewers, the difficulty can be changed a dozen different ways and specific to the encounter you are having problems with or be made as difficult or tactically65 Hours in and really enjoying the game. It is very POE, very BG, even NWN, but has its own special flavors. I can see this being the base game for a lot of expansions or module. Ignore the cries of difficulty from the other reviewers, the difficulty can be changed a dozen different ways and specific to the encounter you are having problems with or be made as difficult or tactically challenging as you desire. Plenty of updates so far from the developers mean the game will continue to get better. Main storyline is decent, but the side and companion stories is where the game shines. Expand
  62. Oct 10, 2018
    One of the best CRPG's since Baldurs Gate, I haven't felt this invested in an RPG since Dragon Age origins, yes it's that good. ignore the negative reviews from salty people who are getting their buts kicked.

Pros: Combat System is actually tactical and and very engaging, rewarding and fun Character levelling is amazing Music is great Atmosphere is great Kingdom building is a nice

Pros:
    Combat System is actually tactical and and very engaging, rewarding and fun
    Character levelling is amazing
    Music is great
    Atmosphere is great
    Kingdom building is a nice addition
    plot is well told if a bit generic
    The voice acting that is there is really good
    Nice physics engine that other RPGs of this type don't have
    Most characters are interesting and well done
    Love that this game is actually challenging and downright hard at times

Cons:
    some Bugs in my play-through but no enough to kill the experience
    No crafting
    No gambits
    Not enough Voice acting to compete with other RPGs
    While the art style is nice, sometimes the graphics can be a bit plain, flat and look outdated at some times
    Environments all kinda look the same, not much environment variation

Conclusion: if you like CRPG's chances are you will love this but if your looking for a first time CRPG maybe go with something else like Pillars of Eternity as it's a bit more casual. This game requires you to be a veteran of these kinds of RPG's, but if your looking for that kind of challenge and those good old Baldurs Gate overtones and spirit then this is a must buy
  63. Sep 30, 2018
    A good enough, but overrated game. A good attempt at it ; the choices are there and well done. Some voice actors aren't great at it though, and sadly, voice acting with choices doesn't necessarily make for a great story.

The intro of the game is definitely the worse part. Not even 5 minutes of lore given ; the game starts and you are given a quest to kill some bandits and promised land in exchange, to fulfill the fantasy of power all kids dream of. You sleep, and in the second room there's already fighting, and you won't really care who wins or loses, because you didn't have the time to attach yourself to any character.

The tabletop rules aren't meant for a video game either. In other games, leveling up might mean having an amazing new skill to spam ; in this game, it might only mean gaining 10 hp, +1 attack and + 2 damage.

Aside from that, the game is fine and still worth buying.
  64. Oct 8, 2018
    The possibilities of character design are amazing. Especially as a Pathfinder veteran I like that very much even though more is of course always better
    Even though here and there things may differ from the standard rules undocumented, I also like the game because of its difficulty. (I play Challenging but with normal opponents - Standard Pathfinder Rules)
    The role-playing depth could

The role-playing depth could have been a little greater and some characters have more depth, but the overall result is still addictive.

The initial pitfalls are already being worked out.

Thanks for the Linux version, too.
  65. Oct 6, 2018
    I'm having one of best cRPG experiences since infinity era. To me, this feels better then Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Tyranny, Divinity Original Sin 1+2. The ruleset is very similar to D&D and seems well implemented. In my opinion the game does not have the cheap feeling that eastern Europe production often has. I am very glad I did not listen to so called mainstream "Critic" reviews andI'm having one of best cRPG experiences since infinity era. To me, this feels better then Pillars of Eternity 1+2, Tyranny, Divinity Original Sin 1+2. The ruleset is very similar to D&D and seems well implemented. In my opinion the game does not have the cheap feeling that eastern Europe production often has. I am very glad I did not listen to so called mainstream "Critic" reviews and rather bought the game based on regular gamers opinions. I hopped in after several patches were already out and so far did not encounter any bugs or glitches. One point down due to big disappointment that my retail physical version is useless as full game has to be downloaded anyway. Expand
  66. Oct 4, 2018
    Very good game, it really has a lot of Neverwinter Nights feel to it (wish it also had modding and multiplayer support).

Story and characters so far are well written, and good voice acting makes it even more immersive. Mechanics feel solid, and anyone with basic experience in cRPG should pick it right away - still there are some cool ideas coming from the Pathfinder system that makes the game refreshing. I am playing at challenging difficulty and it feels very well balanced, most of the threats can be dealt right away but bigger fights still require careful planning and preparation (especially when you need to also plan your rests).

In general I didn't find any bugs accept few text and UI inconsistencies.
    What really surprised me is that the game is very well optimized and I can run it on medium using my laptop with integrated graphics card.
  67. Oct 24, 2018
    For some reason this went right up my alley unlike Pillars and Tyranny. Maybe its storytelling, maybe more complex system or maybe setting. No idea but this is second game ever that got from me 10/10 and made me write a review. GOTY so far
  68. Dec 31, 2018
    Okay...10 is probably a little too much. In reality a 8.5 but...given the number of negative reviews for such a big, complex and faithful interpretation by a new, small studio - I wanted to even the scales a bit. It's the easiest job in the world to be a critic! You can tell this was a labor of love.
    Admittedly I picked up this game and started playing it over the Holidays but...don't understand the "it's too difficult and complex" complaints. I finished Chapter One without any bugs/crashes and the mechanics felt hand-in-glove to me. The storytelling is excellent. I agree that the companions are a little flat and the voice acting stiff but...come on people...this is an extraordinary accomplishment for a new studio! ...and a great value to boot!
  69. Dec 11, 2018
    Game needs fixing but holy **** it's fun and immersive. I'm happy. Can't wait for it to be more stable.
  70. Nov 13, 2018
    Since BG2 I have not played any other game as immense as this, and i played almost every rpg in the market, when i say immense i mean in every aspect, the history, the playtime, the challenge, everything...

It's true that it has serious bugs that can make you upset, but if you forgot about them, it is the real sucessor of BG2. If you love isometric challenging RPG, make yourself a

If you love isometric challenging RPG, make yourself a favour and play this masterpiece.
  71. Sep 23, 2020
    Brilliant classic RPG game. Good story, impressive design, awesome atmosphere and BIG adventure (110 hours for 1 walkthrough)
  72. Oct 9, 2018
    Pleasently surprised, very true to paper and pen/old school RPG feel. I am hoping for more games like this in the future.
  73. Oct 9, 2018
    Feels like in the good old days of Baldurs Gate 1+2, but it also looks amazing. No CRPG Fan should miss out of this Gem.
  74. Nov 2, 2018
    For Me Game Of The Year. I wait so long a game like Baldurs Gate with this game my long wait is end.
    There will be bugs and some problem but ı am sure there is pass with time. I am sure it getting better and better with dlc and expansion pack. Many People Will be questioning game graphics, Mechanics, etc. Of course They have right with game like Witcher, red dead redemption, etc make stake high. But This is totaly different soul and serve totaly different experience the others. in the and you can cast fire ball or crush the enemy heads with a greataxe with a good critic you can kill a boss in a one minute.
  75. Oct 9, 2018
    I've been waiting for a Pathfinder game for my PC for a while and I'm very pleased with what I got. The graphics are great, I love the story, and there is a lot of voice acting which I'm glad is in the game. I don't have any issues with the game really and I have recommended the game to my friends who loved playing Boulders Gate. I recommend watching the let's plays on YouTube and seeingI've been waiting for a Pathfinder game for my PC for a while and I'm very pleased with what I got. The graphics are great, I love the story, and there is a lot of voice acting which I'm glad is in the game. I don't have any issues with the game really and I have recommended the game to my friends who loved playing Boulders Gate. I recommend watching the let's plays on YouTube and seeing the game and judge if you like what you see then buy it. Thank you for reading Expand
  76. Dec 11, 2018
    The game was released in typical fashion with a rash of patches early on... but this is definitely a gem. Great RPG worthy of days of old, add in the kingdom building and we have a great title in a barely explored genre.
    Character building, NPCs personalities, choices that matter... all presented in a cartoon like graphic environment.
    Looking forward to the DLCs and hopeful for sequels.
  77. Oct 8, 2018
    Great game with some issues that would be patched. My inquisitor would bring peace to the stolen lands and through that my barony would prevail!
  78. Oct 8, 2018
    The game is fun and looks very promising - reminds a lot of Baldur's Gate 2. Though, it can be really punishing sometimes and currently is full of bugs... I'd recommend playing it a month or two later when it is more polished. I'm expecting a great adventure.
  79. Oct 4, 2018
    Awesome game, best CRPG. Reminds me of Baldur's Gate. It is almost like the Pen and Paper Falta apenas a tradução para Português.... Loving it.
  80. Oct 2, 2018
    A really good start from an unknown Russian developer (although owned by a huge mail.ru company). The game has its shortcomings no doubt - issues with difficulty, lots of bugs, arguable encumberment/resting decisions, kingdom management is clunky, feels heavily scripted and untested and lacks proper explanations/tutorial. If you can live with these issues, the game will shine for you. ItA really good start from an unknown Russian developer (although owned by a huge mail.ru company). The game has its shortcomings no doubt - issues with difficulty, lots of bugs, arguable encumberment/resting decisions, kingdom management is clunky, feels heavily scripted and untested and lacks proper explanations/tutorial. If you can live with these issues, the game will shine for you. It doesn't have the fanfares and glitter of POE2 but what it does have is the true spirit of old cRPGs like BG, Icewind Dale and the like. Expand
  81. Feb 25, 2019
    If you are an old school rpg fan this is the BEST game made in the past 15 years.

I can see why some people dislike it, too difficult for casuals, too many mechanics. But as a hardcore crpg fan this game was MADE for me and is a clear 10/10. The game is HUGE you get a TON of HIGH QUALITY CONTENT. Absolutely brilliant story, deep customization this is one of the best games i have

The game is HUGE you get a TON of HIGH QUALITY CONTENT.

Absolutely brilliant story, deep customization this is one of the best games i have played in the last 15 years.
  82. Nov 10, 2018
    This is a must play for any fan of the golden age of computer role playing games. I'ts a hard nut to crack, admittedly, but that's part of the appeal.
  83. Dec 7, 2018
    I´ve been waiting so many years to experience a game like this one. For me this game is the real successor of the Baldur´s gate saga.
    In all those years games like Dragon age o Pillars came close but ultimately fail in deliver the same level of addiction and challenge.
  84. Dec 12, 2020
    One of my favorite Rpg. Most of bugs just fixed now. Enjoy. So 10/10 and I hope to see part 2 soon.
  85. Oct 2, 2018
    Game has odd difficulty spikes that not really true to the pathfinder rules it says it is a party to. One minute game could be pretty easy and then the next turn of events in the next logical step of whatever you are doing you find and encounter where it is almost impossible. STEEP difficulty spikes.

OK with that said... I love the old style rpg and I love this game, I expect

OK with that said... I love the old style rpg and I love this game, I expect improvements in patches.
  86. Jan 25, 2021
    My favorite RPG game of all times. And im fan of Baldurs gate, tyranny, pillars, m&m and others - this game beats all of it. Deep mechanics and cool ballanced fights with active pause
    Now its bug free, try it and u will like it.
  87. Dec 12, 2020
    If you like CRPG's and pathfinders part of DnD then you might love this, to bad there is no way to play with friends like the new WasteLand 3.
  88. May 14, 2021
    Best isometric I've ever play after Neverwinter Nights. After more than 30 hours hame, I have to give credits to the creators for the player-friendly mechanics, the balanced difficulty (I play on "normal" setting) and the great game play so far: I am sure that it's gonna be even better later!

For the lovers of DnD experience (not only the "Pathfinder" setting, everyone!), do not hesitate
  89. Sep 2, 2021
    An absolutely amazing game! cant recommend enuff, especially if u enjoyed Balders gate/DOS games
  90. Jun 29, 2021
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker is an unexpected triple-A jewel. Very high class music, voiceover, graphics and storyline. Unorthodox, it picks up the thread of Baldur's Gate and takes it to new heights.
  91. Jun 14, 2021
    Pathfinder is a very enjoyable role-playing game and even more if you are a traditional pen-and-paper player.

I thoroughly loved the first hours of the adventure and currently enjoy my time exploring the land. From the difficulty to the automatic pauses and the followers' behaviour, the game is very configurable. Contrary to earlier reviews: the game is not insanely difficult.

Graphically it's nice and the musics are right for the genre.

The only down-side so far is the lack of predefined portraits but they can by added easily and players have already packaged a lot of custom ones.

The game is pretty difficult though.
  92. Dec 29, 2018
    I haven't had this much fun with a RTWP RPG since Baldur's Gate 2, I really love it. I know it's supposed to be a buggy mess, but as of patch 1.2 I haven't noticed hardly any bugs. There is plenty of challenge to be had here, especially if you're new to Pathfinder. I would suggest looking into tips from veterans of the game and TTRPG. As a bonus, import the Terry Crews portrait for yourI haven't had this much fun with a RTWP RPG since Baldur's Gate 2, I really love it. I know it's supposed to be a buggy mess, but as of patch 1.2 I haven't noticed hardly any bugs. There is plenty of challenge to be had here, especially if you're new to Pathfinder. I would suggest looking into tips from veterans of the game and TTRPG. As a bonus, import the Terry Crews portrait for your main character. Expand
  93. Jan 20, 2019
    How do I say this ... I have been an avid fan of Baldur's Gate I and II, and found the games thereafter less and less interesting, mainly due to the lack of story lines. And the years after the genre kind of disappeared. Game makers told themselves that the classic isometric was an outdated concept and viewpoints changed to "flexible from first person to iso-on-all-angles. Like the kidsHow do I say this ... I have been an avid fan of Baldur's Gate I and II, and found the games thereafter less and less interesting, mainly due to the lack of story lines. And the years after the genre kind of disappeared. Game makers told themselves that the classic isometric was an outdated concept and viewpoints changed to "flexible from first person to iso-on-all-angles. Like the kids that wanted all candies from the shop. Worked terrible and was disastrous for immersive game-play. I think I bought and tried 10 to 15 of the big titles in recent years, and they all disappointed greatly. The games generally had no story line consequence, were full on plot-holes and/or were very inconsistent. It's like people did not care about a well-structured story anymore, an any story at all. So in my eyes the amazing and potent, classic turn-based, ISO-view, D&D based genre was gone and wouldn't return. I and blamed the current game design philosophy (or lack thereof), that tries to jam as many effect and novelties in a game and think that that is what makes a good game. I closed the chapter and let my newly acquired PC gather dust (or play Spotify, rather). Of course I kept an eye out on forums, and followed rumors, cause you never know right. Then Beamdog touched-up Baldur’s Gate and reintroduced them. And made a few modules, that were so hollow and bad that I wish they wouldn’t. And then rumors of a worthy follow-up appeared, Pillars of Eternity. Tried it. In short, it’s a good game, but it lacks an immersive story that it tied to the game, and thus it does not offer the same rewarding character-development-tied-to-a-good-story. And then I got stuck in a cavern that felt too much like a dungeon crawlers, and I was unable to beat a room, time-after-time, and It was unclear if I wasn’t supposed to be in that place at that level, also mainly cause the story-line wasn’t there to confirm or deny this. So I stopped play, Pillars did not tick the box. It didn’t contain a creafully designed story in combination with game development. The came Divine Divinity: Original Sin. It was actually good on the starting story, nice surprise. But. Then I get to a dungeon (where you are supposed to be), and I can in now way beat an enemy (or set off enemies) there. So I googled around, I basically found that you need to set your characters up in a terribly specific way so they synergies, and do exponentially increased damage. That a game flaw right there, lost interest, quit playing. To bad. Then I sat in the car with two buddies going to an event, and I told the story above bout me looking for that new fun game to play, and one said “seems like you are talking about Pathfinder: Kingmaker”. And my other buddy confirmed. I could not believed them, cause I still checked the interwebs regularly. But I figured, why not, let’s download it. Started out, and immediately thought “hey, this feels good”. Then I found that the mechanics are basically old skool D&D (I thought Pathfinder had a very different system), which was like coming home. With a lot of new builds and rules, which keeps it fresh. Played the introduction chapter, and literally all my synapses were fire up red hot. Om my, was this the actual game I was looking for for roughly 20 years? It very well could be .. dang…. The camera view felt great, the combat system felt great, the story line was very-very solid, the effort-reward ratio was solid (can’t express how important this is for a game). I just started the 2nd chapter of 8 in total and I have to ration myself to the PC for two reasons: if I don’t I lose my family/job and the amazing experience will be over way to soon! This game has the depth, the loving care of a great story writer, a team that understands risk-reward that makes a game a great game. It obviously had a very solid playtesting phase, and provide on screen hints before difficult combat, to prevent game-breaking situations. What can I say, one of the things that makes it right is that it is so well balanced. Then I found our Chris Avellone wrote for it! One of the creators of Baldurs Gate; and it all adds up. And it’s not from a huge huge studio, so it didn’t have editors ramming it into a boring mainstream format. It’s a Russian-German made game, from what I understand. All I can say finally is: thanks people who made this game, you revived PC gaming for me and I am looking forward to many many more hours of Kingmaker! This game rocks, it offers so many great options and experience, the story is amazing, the map system is great, and it is made with so much care. It is the new Baldurs Gate, and even overtakes it! Expand
  94. May 7, 2022
    Don't know how this game is rated lower than divinity original sin 2
    1. Its more complex
    2. It has better story
    3. It has better setting
    4. It has more variety
  95. Apr 25, 2020
    Mostly fun game with some minor issues. Long with good pacing throughout. Kingdom management can definitely be annoying. Added points for D&D, subtracted a bit for NPC dialog being too cutesy-wootsy for the setting.
  96. Jan 15, 2022
    I am a fan of the genre and overall I loved this game. The "chaotic good" playthrough took me 140 h for about 95 % completion on normal.
    There are sadly some caviats: If you want a playtrhough with high completion rate you need to look up a lot of **** especially if you are not super well versed in the pen and paper mechanics. The game has a countdown of doom looming over your head all the time and you get the feeling you need to be super efficient with every decision and turn you take. The game is insanely hard and not always fair. There were quite a few situations i was hours deep in a dungeon and i had to reload because i simply coudlnt pass the skill checks / I didnt have the right counter or other stuff.
    On the other side: The romances, graphics, sound, VA, build variety, companions, world are really great!
    Sadly i feel like the game is too hard (in the trial and error unfun way) and I wont start a second playtrhough
  97. Aug 10, 2021
    The GOOD: The game has a good story, much better than PoE or DOS2, for examples. Rich character development. NPCs and side-quests were engaging. I enjoyed the turned-based combat and some of the encounters required some thought in order to survive. There was a decent amount of puzzles unlike most most modern RPGs.

The BAD: Slow loading times, repetitive encounters, occasional bugs,

The BAD: Slow loading times, repetitive encounters, occasional bugs, especially when turn-based option was added shortly after I started the game. By time I finished the game, most of the bugs were fixed. Balance and pacing was off. I didn't enjoy the kingdom management; at one point my kingdom collapsed and I had to load an old save, make different choices, and redo some quests.

OVERALL the game brought me a lot of joy, almost as much as BG2 when it came out.
  98. Aug 11, 2021
    One of the top games I've ever played

Pros: - Finally feels like an adventures by traveling the map in semi-real time - Challenging fights - Memorable characters, there are only handful games you feel interested to learn the whole companion story - Long gameplay that doesn't make you bored Cons: - Quite high difficulty - Can be a bit overwhelming - "what I should do now"? -
    One of the top games I've ever played

Pros:
    - Finally feels like an adventures by traveling the map in semi-real time
    - Challenging fights
    - Long gameplay that doesn't make you bored

Cons:
    - Quite high difficulty
    - Can be a bit overwhelming - "what I should do now"?
    - Soft timer over your head
  99. Aug 25, 2021
    I absolutely love pathfinder king maker. Reminds me of old school DND. After 50 hours of game play it is a absolutely beautiful game.
  100. May 16, 2022
    After dozens of patches, finally a very good game. I like it better than the second one, WotR.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Feb 13, 2019
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker offers an interesting world to explore along with satisfying combat, and the first half of the adventure is top-notch old school fun. Unfortunately later the game loses its momentum and becomes boring. Anyhow, it’s a solid RPG that should keep Baldur’s Gate’s fans happy for many hours. [12/2018, p.86]
  2. Jan 15, 2019
    A great adaptation of the original Pathfinder gamebooks. The story is sidelined by tough tactical combat - its steep difficulty may be daunting to genre newbies, but D&D veterans will be delighted. There are technical problems, yes, but those are overshadowed by refreshing kingdom management and interesting companions.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    RPG for the hardened. Get used to loadings and getting lost in the rules, get ready for an ok storyline - and in the return you will enjoy a deep level of challenge and great management of your own kingdom. Obsidian has a new competitor. [Issue#290]